Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E22: My Miracle

• Start Topic

A dangerous warehouse fire puts truck and squad at risk. Tensions are high for Dawson (Monica Raymund) and Casey (Jesse Spencer) when Dawson's father (guest star Daniel Zacapa) overstays his welcome at their home. Meanwhile, Casey continues to fight for his first responders bill, Mouch (Christian Stolte) makes a serious decision regarding his future and Herrmann (David Eigenberg) goes to tremendous lengths to make a young boy smile. 

I don't think this has aired in USA yet, so I'll just say for now.  I really hope that didn't just happen.  

45 minutes ago, rhys said:

I have a (probably) dumb question. Can a fire truck ram a bldg to make an exit?

Not a dumb question, as I thought of the same thing.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just...wow. Drama-wise that was a decent roller-coaster of an episode. The logical part of my brain is asking why didn't Boden call for at least a fifth or sixth alarm for this and surround-and-drown once it became obvious that the building was lost? One damned engine against that? Almost no water (and what little there was withdrew)? But I'm going to leave logic go on this for two reasons. First, if this was Mouch and Hermann's exit from the show it was a hell of a way to do it. I can maybe see Hermann getting rescued but I think we can say a tearful goodbye to the half-man/half-couch. TV Drama Trope Number five: when a supporting character gets such a focus in the early part of an episode, it's a good change he's going to get killed off or written out of the series. I was hoping they'd pull a bait and switch, especially after Mouch told Hermann it was going to be his last run, but I guess the writers weren't in the mood to break the rules.

The second reason I'm not going to belabor the lack of water is that even with all the best manpower and equipment in position, sometimes things go horribly wrong; hose lines burn through, with utterly tragic results. Engine 33 at 298 Beacon Street, Boston MA, 9th alarm, March 26th, 2014. And far too many others, sadly. There is audio of the fireground radios out there if you choose to find it--and it's not for the pearl-clutching crowd or those of delicate sensitivities.

If they're going to recast 81 Truck for Season 6 this was about as horrible a way to do it that I could think of. I can't see Casey coming out of that conflagration but we all know he will, and that's the part that irks me. The hot gasses and toxic smoke would take him out in short order without his SCBA. Now the showrunners probably have other things in mind (killing off the lead of one of their best rated shows? Really?) but honestly, in my mind, there's no way to bring him, Mouch and Hermann out alive without some ghastly writing and handwaving of reality. I can see Squad guys doing something, or Rhys said, getting Cruz to drive either the Squad or the Truck inside or some such, but if they pull everybody out safe and sound it'll be a world class 10th alarm cop-out to me. And besides, they need to find a place for Kannell.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 4
(edited)

The last five minutes or so focused on Casey's goodbye to Gabby and Cruz's trying to talk to Mouch/Hermann. So I agree we didn't see Severide's crew, so I think he's going to save the day. 

I get Gabby trying to be there for her dad, but excusing his drunk behavior especially when it's affecting not only Casey's bill but innocent people that the bill was helping is nuts. She should have been outraged and had Casey's back on that. She also didn't even seem all that broken up at the end, Brett and Cruz were more emotional. 

Casey spending most of the episode fighting for a  First Responders bill then how it ends with him is good ironic writing.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 8

This isn't what we meant when we said "Free Casey". 

Although the sweet, sweet release of death may be his only option at this point, if he's apologizing to Gabby for not being on board with Drunken Asshole Daddy's behavior.

• Love 8

This reminds of the finale where Shay died and we weren't sure who it was going to be as the cliffhanger was them all in the building. I reckon Mouch will die and Casey/Hermann will deal with PTSD etc. 

Jesse Spencer was at the Upfronts and as already mentioned he's one of the lead anchors not to mention Dawson/Casey are their shows more popular pairing (why I don't know). 

Hermann I just hope they don't kill him off as it would be too depressing. 

Contracts usually end/get renegotiated after season six and I've no doubt the show will be back again so if they're doing a cast shakeup I reckon they'd wait until then when there's a chance some of the cast members want out.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hey, if Nashville can kill off Connie Britton, all bets are off, as far as I can tell. The show gave Casey a few"wrap-up" scenes -- resolving his municipal career, a final cigar with Severide). I can almost see the showrunners offing Casey, except that poor Severide would be wrecked (Anna and Casey??! Noooo!) and he'd have to deal with SuperGabby's angsting around.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I can almost see the showrunners offing Casey, except that poor Severide would be wrecked (Anna and Casey??! Noooo!) and he'd have to deal with SuperGabby's angsting around.

If they do this we all know Gabby and Severide will become the main pairing. 

Meh.

Enable much, Gabby?

Even though Shay will always be in our hearts, Casey and Severide carry this show. No way is Casey being killed off. Instead he can have a nice long recovery aided in part by the city bill that just got ramrodded through by alderman Holly while bad alderman says, "see, self-serving, told you so."

Mouch will have a last minute temporary superhuman recovery and save the day and then kerplunk, dead. I love his character but he hasn't been a believable firefighter imo for a long time--he should have moved into investigations or something. Trudy will have some awesome scenes next season in PD.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Feh. That'd pretty much kill my interest in the show.

• Love 5
Just now, MakeMeLaugh said:

Instead he can have a nice long recovery aided in part by the city bill that just got ramrodded through by alderman Holly while bad alderman says, "see, self-serving, told you so."

Did Dick Wolf just set us up for Chicago Politics starring Holly Robinson Peete?

• Love 1

I'd say it's even money they all come out alive. 

Boy, the electorate in Chicago has to be the most fickle and easily manipulated in the world. Nothing about this story made any sense - it played as if someone was running against Casey for his job but in was actually just another alderman fighting for his own bill. So why was he holding rallies as though he were running for office? The public wasn't voting on this bill, the council was. He should have been trying to make deals with other aldermen. And that crowd! One minute they're booing Casey so hard he can't even talk then he shows up and makes some grand speech and they're all cheering him. It was as though Hillary Clinton showed up at a Trump rally and all of a sudden the crowd changed their minds and started cheering for her. That's about as likely to happen, I'd say.

I'm sorry, but fire fighters have been sacred cows ever since 9/11 and there's no way some rival alderman could get a crowd that worked up over a bill to provide fire fighters with more equipment. Cops, maybe - they haven't got the best reputation lately, but fire fighters? No way. They're just too beloved.

• Love 4
(edited)

Maybe they'll kill Casey so Gabby can be the first recipient of money from Casey's first responder bill.  Or maybe Jesse Spencer has gotten sick of having to act like Casey's relationship with Dawson is the greatest most epic thing ever and begged to be let out.

I can't believe they would kill Mouch, just because the guy getting killed on his last day is such dead horse trope that I don't think anyone can possibly play it straight anymore.  Unfortunately, I'm afraid that means they'll kill off Hermann, and Mouch will decide he wants to stay in the department to honor his memory, though maybe not in an active firefighting role.  If they do kill Hermann I'll probably be out for good, because he's the one character I consistently like and his generally optimistic personality brings some lightness to the show.  I don't want to see Mouch die, but it does feel like his story was coming to a natural closure so I could probably handle his being written out.

I'll be the evil person to say it does look a little shady that Matt wants to use city funds to give money to firefighters above and beyond what they get from insurance, passing the boot, and existing first responder charities.  I'm glad to see they're dropping the alderman plot whatever else happens going forward, cause this show clearly didn't care to do anything with it besides saying Casey good, everyone else evil shady politicians, support whatever Casey says without knowing any details of what he's proposing.

Maybe I would be able to muster up a little sympathy with Gabby's horrible father if we had seen him prior to randomly deciding to divorce his wife, but we never saw him as the supposed rock of the family so I don't believe Gabby's crying over how hard it is to see him crumbling.

As for how they could pull off saving everyone, I assume Severide and Kanell will move the forklift out of the way it time to grab Casey, then maybe the show will have Cruz go on a suicide run to save everyone else so Casey's bill will give Cruz's brother enough money to get through the rest of college and the showrunners will still have big shocking death and make room for Kanell to stay permanently.  Plus if Kanell helps save someone he'll get to get over seeing all his previous teammates die, because I'm pretty sure that's how PTSD and survivor's guilt work in TVland.

Edited by athelyna
  • Love 6
(edited)

It was as though Hillary Clinton showed up at a Trump rally and all of a sudden the crowd changed their minds and started cheering for her. That's about as likely to happen, I'd say.

Now I am thinking about Rocky's final speech to the Russians in Rocky IV.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, rhys said:

I have a (probably) dumb question. Can a fire truck ram a bldg to make an exit?

Hmmm, maybe it can go through an old factory with wooden beams and studs that have been weakened by a raging fire for several hours. You will get full credit if this happens in the first episode next fall!

(edited)

I confess, I didn't care for daddy Dawson and Gabby was a jerk to Matt. 

Didn't care for the alderman thing but I'm glad that Casey quit doing that. 

I was wondering if Mouch was going to tell Trudy in that scene or if they had talked about it off screen but I would think he would have to put his notice in before hand. I wonder how many really knew before he told Herrman. 
I loved that part with the boy and the Cubs, so cool even though I assume that Boden knew about it before hand? 

I think we will find out a month before hand who comes back but I can't see all surviving. 

I understand Cruz wanted to help his cousin or brother or whoever he was but he was being selfish and a jerk. 

Edited by Waterston Fan
  • Love 2

I loved that part with the boy and the Cubs

I didn't. What was so dang special about this boy that Herrmann felt the need to go out of his way with him? Doesn't he have like a zillion kids of his own? He pulled the boy out of a car, it's not like he was dying of cancer. I thought the setup and situation didn't merit the overblown reaction. It felt very much like a setup for a Cubs cameo but it didn't feel organic because if the kid was dying or something it would have been a more fitting storyline for Chicago Med.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't. What was so dang special about this boy that Herrmann felt the need to go out of his way with him? Doesn't he have like a zillion kids of his own? He pulled the boy out of a car, it's not like he was dying of cancer. I thought the setup and situation didn't merit the overblown reaction. It felt very much like a setup for a Cubs cameo but it didn't feel organic because if the kid was dying or something it would have been a more fitting storyline for Chicago Med.

I said the same thing to Mr MML--boo hoo hoo, the kid broke his arm. Meh.

Just now, iMonrey said:

Doesn't he have like a zillion kids of his own?

Shouldn't Hermann be spending with them as opposed to (apparently) spending all non-shift waking hours at a bar? I was thinking how great it would have been if Hermann had bought a breakfast diner- than all of his kids could have learned life/work skills right next to their pa.

17 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

Shouldn't Hermann be spending with them as opposed to (apparently) spending all non-shift waking hours at a bar? I was thinking how great it would have been if Hermann had bought a breakfast diner- than all of his kids could have learned life/work skills right next to their pa.

That's true, I didn't think of that. I do have to admit, I'd rather see cute stuff like that than Dawson stuff.. oh wait, we still get that anyways. ugh. 

• Love 1

Alright, I admit it; I'm evil.  When Casey quit the council and nominated his PR person, I channeled Abbott and Costello: 

"Who do you want to take your place?"  "Tamara."

"What, you don't know his name yet?"  "Who?"

"The guy who you want to take your place."  "It's not a guy, it's a woman."

"Who?"  "Tamara."

• Love 4

Glad the Alderman crap is over! 

Gabby is such a beeyotch! She's pissed at Casey when she should be kicking her dad to the curb. One Dawson is bad enough, but two...pure torture! 

Sadly, I don't think Mouch is going to make it. As soon as he told Hermann it was his last shift, I knew he was done. Plus, they showed all the pics in his locker, etc...foreshadowing, IMO. Poor Cruz... 

Gabby and Brett were the only paramedics there? So, instead of helping the victims, Gabby is staring at the building the entire time. I wish she would have run in...and not come back out...ever!

Because I know nothing about fighting fires or the procedures, will someone explain to me why they couldn't start trying to put the fire out? And why weren't more crews called to help? 

I know Casey will make it out alive, but I got a little teary eyed when he basically surrendered and then when he was talking to Dawson. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Because I know nothing about fighting fires or the procedures, will someone explain to me why they couldn't start trying to put the fire out?

If they followed real life procedures, it would be just another boring soap opera.  They. Must. Have. Drama.  In real life, a warehouse fire like that would likely draw 3 alarms at least, meaning several engines and trucks, another ambulance or two, a rapid intervention team ready to go in if a firefighter rescue was needed, and  a tidal wave of water going into the building on all floors.  And they wouldn't have firefighters taking up radio time in a life or death situation saying their tearful goodbyes.

I think you're right, FnkyChkn34.  He might even drag Chief Boden in with him.

• Love 3

Shouldn't Hermann be spending with them as opposed to (apparently) spending all non-shift waking hours at a bar? 

I don't mind that he works for a living. He and his friends bought a bar, it's a business he knows. I just didn't get his overblown concern for the kid he pulled out of a car. He saves people in wrecks all the time, does he obsess over every single one of them and feel some special need to brighten their days? Was it just because he related to this kid because of the baseball card collection? It still seems like he went above and beyond to follow up with some kid he pulled out of a car. If I were the kid's parents I'd think it was strange that this fire fighter kept showing up.

Sadly, I don't think Mouch is going to make it. As soon as he told Hermann it was his last shift, I knew he was done.

And why would Mouch drop that bomb right in the middle of a big fire? Way to distract your co-workers, dude. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

LOL, probably, but he'd have to get out first just to run back in.  Aren't 5 of them trapped in there?  Casey by himself, Mouch and Herrmann, and Severide and new guy.  (Cruz is outside with Boden; where were Stella and Otis?  I think they dragged people out and were with Cruz.  Capp and Tony also got out, didn't they?  I think Boden told them to take a hose back in.)  

I might actually have to rewatch the last part.  I don't understand why they couldn't take hoses in like they did in that one episode where Otis saved Boden in that ballroom.  They all just stand there for 3-4 minutes while Casey talks to Gabby on the radio?  Ugh, no.  Do something to save all your comrades!

(edited)
On 5/18/2017 at 1:51 AM, Dowel Jones said:

If they followed real life procedures, it would be just another boring soap opera.  They. Must. Have. Drama.  In real life, a warehouse fire like that would likely draw 3 alarms at least, meaning several engines and trucks, another ambulance or two, a rapid intervention team ready to go in if a firefighter rescue was needed, and  a tidal wave of water going into the building on all floors.  And they wouldn't have firefighters taking up radio time in a life or death situation saying their tearful goodbyes.

A little bit of real-life procedures here just to put TV into perspective. This is long and lots of inside-baseball for those who are interested. First 911 call hits, a standard "first alarm" response is initiated. Typically 4 or 5 engines (the vehicles that pump the water and whose crews bring hose lines in and extinguish the fire and is what seen-but-not-used "51" is), 2 or 3 Trucks*, which are also known as Ladders, hook-and-ladders, or aerials in Canada, (they open up the roof to vent the fire, perform searches for victims, and basically try to make the fire behave in a way that will make it possible to extinguish without loss of life or excessive damage, and that's what Casey's crew is), a heavy rescue (Severide's crew here) and a batallion chief. Boden, in this case. In real-life, not every house has a chief; just the officer on each piece of apparatus. You might find one chief for every 3, 4, 5 or more houses, depending how busy the area is.

*The words "fire truck" are misleading. The big red thing with a siren can be a ladder, a pumper, a Quint, a tower ladder, a hose tender or anything else.

The apparatus (FD vehicles of every type) start to roll from firehouses all around the burning building. Something that big would generate a ton of calls to 911. A good dispatcher will know this is a big job and will announce "multiple calls received" over the air and will have the tickets ready for the inevitable call for more manpower, and this will alert the firefighters that this is the real deal. First due trucks roll up, smelling smoke a half mile out and see the monster blowing out the windows. An officer (might be the LT on the first due engine, might be the BC) will report on scene, with a serious working fire, respond a second (or third or fourth) alarm. The dispatcher tones out subsequent pieces of apparatus.

Meanwhile, the first- and second due engines take the hydrant, run hand lines and set up for the attack. The first-due truck might throw the big stick up in the air, and/or throw hand ladders, depending on the situation. Second due truck gets ready for the primary search. Third due truck will be the FAST truck (NYC terminology here), basically there to rescue any Maydays (i.e. firefighters that get trapped inside).

More manpower arrives, More hand lines stretched. Tower ladders are set up (and are fed by engines) and they start throwing tons of water at it from above. If an interior attack is prudent then they'll go in, and they'll be backing up the Truckees and heavy rescue personnel.

For something that big? Three alarms would be to start. With that volume of fire I could see six or more. Figure roughly 4-and-2 for each alarm, so call it about 25 engine companies, each with a 4 or 5 man crew, 15-18 truck companies, again, each with 4 or 5, a sea of white helmets, (Boden first, calls for the deuce or more, then a division chief then more and more brass as it gets full incident command, probably up to chief of department and his deputies, each in charge of a different aspect of the fireground. then specialty units (canteen, mask and air service, etc). And yes, the department chaplain gets called sometimes.

No Effin' Way that gets an interior attack by the time the end sequence is set up. Surround it and pour Lake Michigan through the roof with about a half dozen tower laders and monitors. BUT.

When FFs are trapped and in peril of death pretty well everything gets thrown at them until it's obvious it'll be a recovery effort, and even then, they don't leave a man behind. I'd wager that If a wife is serving at the same scene and it's pretty apparent that her husband is about to lose his life inside, I don't think standard radio procedure would be followed, lets put it that way.

If you're not already bored to tears by this post--or if you want to get a real flavor of how this would go down for real, take a listen to this audio out of NYC: Manhattan box 632, fire in a church--fully involved. And This is what it actually looked like from the ground.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
Needed to clarify a few term
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 19 May 2017 at 3:26 AM, Waterston Fan said:

I have one big question... What did Casey mean by telling Dawson she is his miracle? 

im sure it was just the shows way of giving what could be the potential final scene for him/them maximum impact. 

Part of also thinks it's because the writers feel obligated to remind the audience that Gabby!is!Awesome! at least once an episode also. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

A little bit of real-life procedures here just to put TV into perspective. This is long and lots of inside-baseball for those who are interested. First 911 call hits, a standard "first alarm" response is initiated. Typically 4 or 5 engines (the vehicles that pump the water and whose crews bring hose lines in and extinguish the fire and is what seen-but-not-used "51" is), 2 or 3 Trucks*, which are also known as Ladders, hook-and-ladders, or aerials in Canada, (they open up the roof to vent the fire, perform searches for victims, and basically try to make the fire behave in a way that will make it possible to extinguish without loss of life or excessive damage, and that's what Casey's crew is), a heavy rescue (Severide's crew here) and a batallion chief. Boden, in this case. In real-life, not every house has a chief; just the officer on each piece of apparatus. You might find one chief for every 3, 4, 5 or more houses, depending how busy the area is.

*The words "fire truck" are misleading. The big red thing with a siren can be a ladder, a pumper, a Quint, a tower ladder, a hose tender or anything else.

The apparatus (FD vehicles of every type) start to roll from firehouses all around the burning building. Something that big would generate a ton of calls to 911. A good dispatcher will know this is a big job and will announce "multiple calls received" over the air and will have the tickets ready for the inevitable call for more manpower, and this will alert the firefighters that this is the real deal. First due trucks roll up, smelling smoke a half mile out and see the monster blowing out the windows. An officer (might be the LT on the first due engine, might be the BC) will report on scene, with a serious working fire, respond a second (or third or fourth) alarm. The dispatcher tones out subsequent pieces of apparatus.

Meanwhile, the first- and second due engines take the hydrant, run hand lines and set up for the attack. The first-due truck might throw the big stick up in the air, and/or throw hand ladders, depending on the situation. Second due truck gets ready for the primary search. Third due truck will be the FAST truck (NYC terminology here), basically there to rescue any Maydays (i.e. firefighters that get trapped inside).

More manpower arrives, More hand lines stretched. Tower ladders are set up (and are fed by engines) and they start throwing tons of water at it from above. If an interior attack is prudent then they'll go in, and they'll be backing up the Truckees and heavy rescue personnel.

For something that big? Three alarms would be to start. With that volume of fire I could see six or more. Figure roughly 4-and-2 for each alarm, so call it about 25 engine companies, each with a 4 or 5 man crew, 15-18 truck companies, again, each with 4 or 5, a sea of white helmets, (Boden first, calls for the deuce or more, then a division chief then more and more brass as it gets full incident command, probably up to chief of department and his deputies, each in charge of a different aspect of the fireground. then specialty units (canteen, mask and air service, etc). And yes, the department chaplain gets called sometimes.

No Effin' Way that gets an interior attack by the time the end sequence is set up. Surround it and pour Lake Michigan through the roof with about a half dozen tower laders and monitors. BUT.

When FFs are trapped and in peril of death pretty well everything gets thrown at them until it's obvious it'll be a recovery effort, and even then, they don't leave a man behind. I'd wager that If a wife is serving at the same scene and it's pretty apparent that her husband is about to lose his life inside, I don't think standard radio procedure would be followed, lets put it that way.

If you're not already bored to tears by this post--or if you want to get a real flavor of how this would go down for real, take a listen to this audio out of NYC: Manhattan box 632, fire in a church--fully involved. And This is what it actually looked like from the ground.

Thank you NJRadioGuy! That was very informative. I like to hear from the people that do the actual job. It's interesting to read the comments from nurses, etc on the Chicago Med board too. I know it's TV and they can't do everything like real life, but this show is more like a bad soap opera than a gripping drama. And yet, I continue to watch... 

(edited)

I hear ya. I'm not on the job myself but I've got a bunch of friends who are/were. The driving around "music" in my truck is FDNY radio chatter as well as our local agencies, and I've had a few newspaper front page photos from the fireground.

I've said this on other episode threads in the past, but they could just change a few things around and still be able keep the drama high. No, they don't have the budget for 50 fire apparatus and crews for a fake fire, and I think we all get that, but at least bring some damned H2O into the fire building, even if the nozzleman and his backup's masks are blacked out and they have no lines. Even with water, things can still go pear-shaped. I guess I just don't like my intelligence insulted, and sadly they manage to do that regularly. Especially with Saint Gabby, First Of Her Name.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 2
On 5/18/2017 at 9:26 PM, Waterston Fan said:

I have one big question... What did Casey mean by telling Dawson she is his miracle? 

I felt like Show is trying to make a thing out of it, like Grey's Anatomy did with "my person." FYI, Show, Gabby ain't nobody's miracle.

• Love 3

I dunno...I get that the ending was supposed to be super dramatic, but I just felt like it'd all been done before. How many major season-ending fires are they going to give us, where we guess who survives and who doesn't? Can't they think of something else?

As for Gabby's dad...even if he's having financial problems after leaving Mrs. Dawson, isn't he still working somewhere? He isn't that old. And what's it been, like a month, since that anniversary party breakup? How could the man go through his entire savings in such a short time? And wouldn't he think to stay with Antonio, who lives alone, rather than his daughter who's a newlywed? It all seems a little too contrived to me.

• Love 2
On 5/17/2017 at 1:35 PM, athelyna said:

I can't believe they would kill Mouch, just because the guy getting killed on his last day is such dead horse trope that I don't think anyone can possibly play it straight anymore.  

It was seriously his last call before retirement. If he dies the only thing that could have made it more cliche is if he had told Herman he used his signing bonus at his new job to buy a boat and he and Trudy were going to sail around the world (the boat would be named "live forever").

On 5/17/2017 at 4:07 PM, Waterston Fan said:

I understand Cruz wanted to help his cousin or brother or whoever he was but he was being selfish and a jerk. 

What was the deal with Cruz hanging out at the fire house if he was suspended? 60 days without pay is a significant amount of money for most people, so why is he not out teaching Zumba classes or finding some other way to bring in income?

On 5/22/2017 at 10:41 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

I've said this on other episode threads in the past, but they could just change a few things around and still be able keep the drama high. No, they don't have the budget for 50 fire apparatus and crews for a fake fire, and I think we all get that, but at least bring some damned H2O into the fire building, even if the nozzleman and his backup's masks are blacked out and they have no lines. Even with water, things can still go pear-shaped. I guess I just don't like my intelligence insulted, and sadly they manage to do that regularly. Especially with Saint Gabby, First Of Her Name.

I get that filming a set and doing multiple takes with water being sprayed would probably be impossible. But there has to be some kind of work around. Give me CGI water or something. 

• Love 4

There were other trucks.  You can see at least three, at various outside shots before & during the fire.

Maybe they were throwing down water, as it seems like Station 51 was performing all important rescues.  Before they went in, both Casey & Severide instructed their crews to rescue, not fight the fire.  They obviously knew other trucks were there to back them up to fight the fire.

That being said...Boden just standing around is ridiculous.  He does it all the time.

On 5/26/2017 at 6:09 AM, roamyn said:

There were other trucks.  You can see at least three, at various outside shots before & during the fire.

Maybe they were throwing down water, as it seems like Station 51 was performing all important rescues.  Before they went in, both Casey & Severide instructed their crews to rescue, not fight the fire.  They obviously knew other trucks were there to back them up to fight the fire.

I'm good with 51 getting the rescues, that's all fine, but nobody was going in with them to provide water in case things went bad. Firefighting 101. It's one thing to do a primary search on a single story house without a handline behind you. In a fully involved warehouse? Not so much. They should have been pouring Lake Michigan in through the roof of that building with about a half dozen tower ladders or quints, truck companies with monitors on the big stick going in through the windows, each fed by an engine, plus at least one Truck company ready to go in when the mayday hit.

You never see or hear discussion of building layout, sprinklers, location of standpipes, stairwells, hazards, hazmat or anything else. Again, I can see that being omitted for TV purposes, but it's a fact of real firefighting. That's what Boden and the rest of the guys in the white helmets are concerned about. Understanding the fire environment and the building layout, directing crews around hazards and/or having plans for extricating their men if an escape route gets blocked. Omit the boring stuff but having Boden and a Division Chief poring over blueprints and barking out orders to incoming apparatus or rescue personnel wouldn't be out of place and could be used to explain the drama to the audience; i.e a glimpse of plans that show where Our Heroes are trapped and maybe offer up a clue of where Salvation might come from for those with eagle eyes <grin>.

• Love 2
On 5/17/2017 at 4:41 PM, Misslindsey said:

And that thought is absolutely depressing.

On 5/18/2017 at 5:48 AM, juliet73 said:

Glad the Alderman crap is over! 

Gabby is such a beeyotch! She's pissed at Casey when she should be kicking her dad to the curb. One Dawson is bad enough, but two...pure torture! 

Sadly, I don't think Mouch is going to make it. As soon as he told Hermann it was his last shift, I knew he was done. Plus, they showed all the pics in his locker, etc...foreshadowing, IMO. Poor Cruz... 

Gabby and Brett were the only paramedics there? So, instead of helping the victims, Gabby is staring at the building the entire time. I wish she would have run in...and not come back out...ever!

Because I know nothing about fighting fires or the procedures, will someone explain to me why they couldn't start trying to put the fire out? And why weren't more crews called to help? 

I know Casey will make it out alive, but I got a little teary eyed when he basically surrendered and then when he was talking to Dawson. 

Honestly? I don't want Casey to go (and the thousands scenes of poor widow Gabby that will follow his exit) but that scene is going to be SO ridiculous if he does survive. I normally start crying whenever anything remotely sad happens on any show, but I couldn't get into it because all i was thinking was "come on, we all know he ain't going anywhere so shut up already"

• Love 3

Finally watched (clearing out the DVR) ... I will watch the 1st episode of next season to see what happens, but then  I am out.  I can't even "hate-watch" anymore.

Did the episode have the guy with the tongue?  So gross.  What do they do after they take out your tongue?