Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E20/S07: Where Are They Now? Milla & Charity Parts 1 & 2

• Start Topic

(edited)
20 minutes ago, torene03 said:

I hear banjos....

Gee torene03 thanks to you and MrsClaus I now have the theme from Deliverance  playing in my head.

It could be worse though, as in anything by Miley Cyrus! ;-)

Edited by DC Gal in VA
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I just caught up and watched this show, and I couldn't figure out what a young guy like Tony saw in someone like Charity: considerably older, quite disfigured and immobile from years of rampant weight gain, toothless...even those caretaker fetish type guys have a certain logic to their choices, but I just couldn't understand the attraction. But I kept coming back to the toothless thing. There definitely could be a benefit there. I will see myself out, thank you.

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
(edited)

This episode bothered me so much! Milla...Milla...Milla..... I too was surprised Dr. Now ended up doing surgery on her when she could walk only in water. I realize that's an accomplishment but they aren't going to dunk you in a pool after major surgery so you can walk to ward off blood clots. It made no sense and I was tired of hearing her say she was trying so hard.

And another thing! She couldn't get to the hospital to see her dying husband? Not that long after he died, the kids rolled her onto a fabric stretcher thingy and dropped her in a wheel chair and Milla went to Dr. Now's office. So what the hell? 

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph-Charity and Charly bugged me too. I was annoyed with how they both made excuse after excuse. And Charly went to work out in.... flip flops! She really planned on a good workout eh? And as someone mentioned before, the two of them waiting in the room for Dr. Now disgustingly chewing up a storm. Holy hell...

Edited by hookedontv
Typo
  • Love 6

Milla actually did pretty well, considering her husband died.  I wonder if she would have benefitted from a live in program with therapy, like Teretha attended?

But it did bother me that she didn't make it to the husband's death bed.  If you can't do it for yourself...do it for your KIDS.  I can't remember if they were native to Texas, hopefully there were other family members present for the kids.  I know being at my father's death bed was one of the hardest moments of my life, and I was 35 when he died.  Hopefully it all worked out where the kids had support while they were there.

Charity/Charly/the hanger on- that was just a MESS.  IMO Now was wrong- Charly is an adult and Charity is NOT RESPONSIBLE for her success or failure.  At 21, Miss Charly needs to have a job, or college (or both) and be well on her way to her own apartment where she cooks her own food and either succeeds or fails on her own.  Her petulant attitude with Mom reminded me of a toddler at the checkout crying for a candy bar- and she got exactly what she wanted- the food.  Mom gave in, and Charly got to eat what Charly wanted.  

In a way, I feel bad for kids like Charly- no one ever mentioned therapy for her.  I grew up in a caretaking role.  There is a part of you that never really gets to be a kid (or teenager, whatever).  When you become an adult, it's weird- because you already feel like an adult because of all the responsibilities.  But you also feel around 10, because you missed out on normal teenage development things like making friends and navigating social situations.  It's strange.  Overall, however, both would strongly benefit from being separated.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 5/22/2017 at 4:44 PM, gardendiva said:

I just caught up and watched this show, and I couldn't figure out what a young guy like Tony saw in someone like Charity: considerably older, quite disfigured and immobile from years of rampant weight gain, toothless...even those caretaker fetish type guys have a certain logic to their choices, but I just couldn't understand the attraction. But I kept coming back to the toothless thing. There definitely could be a benefit there. I will see myself out, thank you.

I'm watching the episode now and Charity and her daughter are in the kitchen and it seems like Tony has his eye on the daughter. They look like more of a couple than Tony and Charity.

9 minutes ago, Kid said:

I can’t take Mila.  She doesn’t want to walk because she wants to be taken care of BY her kids instead of taking care OF her kids.

1 minute ago, Hellga said:

I have never seen their episodes or this follow-up and I already dislike MIlla.  When four of your kids have to carry you on a sheet, this is beyond wrong.

Yep. Maybe if I weren't watching this right after Kelly's episode I'd be more accepting, but I can't take Milla either. 

At least, Charity seems to have been making progress right along, and her daughter has been losing weight too. She seemed to be happy to be able to visit her family in Iowa (I think it is) again.

• Love 3
Just now, CouchTater said:

Did I mis-hear?  Charity's boyfriend hooked up with her sister???

Yeah, he hooked up with the sister and stayed in Iowa. And we always thought he’d end up with Charly. I guess this is an improvement?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Miracle Maxie said:

Yeah, he hooked up with the sister and stayed in Iowa. And we always thought he’d end up with Charly. I guess this is an improvement?

Holy cow! This family is crazy! Also the sister reminded me of a fatter Roseanne.

• Love 3

It sounded like Charity had some at home from earlier and packed them and took them to the hospital with her...  that's kind of interesting, a true addict would not have any just sitting around, they would have used them up soon after acquiring them.  Unless she was still using food/cigarettes/alcohol (didn't Dr. Now mention all three for her?) as her drug(s) of choice at the time.  Or the truth can be a lot murkier.

• Love 4

I am pissed with Charity not just for wasting healthcare resources with her stupid overdose, but for leaving her daughter to go into surgery alone, without anyone to support her or even talk to her.  

• Love 10

I am too sleepy to start the Mila/Charity update I DVR’d, but judging from the comments I am in for one hell of a couple of hours tomorrow when I watch.  I would have bet money Charity’s boyfriend was going to end up with the daughter.  (Not that hooking up with the sister is awesome).

Good grief!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

Who knows with that inbred, cross-eyed herd? They seem to mate with anything that is kept in the same corral.

My God her sister is huge ,how the hell would a doctor not tell her how dangerous it is for her and the baby at that weight  .. These people are insane ..

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So is Charity smaller than her sister now? And her fiance traded her in?

It was.

"Dr. Now just doesn't understand..."

Gotta give him props!!! He’s a man who really takes his chubby chasing seriously...always looking for the next bigger, better thing!

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Hellga said:

He must be one of the fat fetish guys...

Milla looks a lot smaller, so why the heck is she still in a wheelchair?

Because she has those poor kids hoodwinked! Can’t believe the damage she is doing to her kids. Don’t want to even think of the head games she has done to them. At least it sounds like one has been able to escape...

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Tls said:

Because she has those poor kids hoodwinked! Can’t believe the damage she is doing to her kids. Don’t want to even think of the head games she has done to them. At least it sounds like one has been able to escape...

I wanted to smack her when she said Esau (so?) stayed in Houston. Good for him! Then to say she felt abandoned!? You don’t get abandoned by your children unless they dump you in some subpar nursing home against your will and forget about you. That’s such bullshit. Then to say she stopped trying 🙄 to walk because of it. That’s not how it works! You abandoned him as a parent when you made him (and the rest of those poor kids) be your full time caregiver(s) and didn’t try everything in your power to be mobile.

Good for him. I’m sure it caused no small amount of guilt to leave his younger siblings to her care. But he shouldn’t be expected to sacrifice himself at the altar of his shit mother’s desire to be a bedridden slug. 

I couldn’t finish this last night. After poor Kelly’s episode, it was like an anti palette cleanser. Yuck. I could muster no sympathy  for these shitty slug people. 

Poor Kelly. 

Edited by dreadfulLeigh
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

I read that Charity actually moved away from Houston, and pulled the plug on further filming.   I read she didn't like the innuendo about her daughter, and Charity's fiance (who is Charlie's dad's younger brother I think).

I doubt they will update Mila getting hauled around like a slug, and whining.     

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

I couldn’t finish this last night. After poor Kelly’s episode, it was like an anti palette cleanser. Yuck. I could muster no sympathy  for these shitty slug people. 

Poor Kelly. 

I couldn't finish it either. This morning I'm still feeling sad for Kelly, and have zero f*cks to give about Milla and Charity and the rest of Charity's dysfunctional clan.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I couldn't finish it either. This morning I'm still feeling sad for Kelly, and have zero f*cks to give about Milla and Charity and the rest of Charity's dysfunctional clan.

My DVR and its FF button made the Milla and Charity whine festival a 15 minute I could care less show..

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Miracle Maxie said:

I hope that’s the last update on either of them. Mila is “walking” and Charity has drugged herself out of any more skin-removal surgeries. So can we please never see them again? Pretty please?

Where there’s a will there’s a way.

10 hours ago, Hellga said:

Even if Charity really is in pain, more opioids is not the right answer.   In fact, reducing the use of them may be a strategy.  Though if Dr. Now, who has spent a lot more time with her, and in person, not on screen, thinks she is just seeking to transfer her addiction (food, nicotine, alcohol she has already cycled through) to opioids, then I believe him over her.

I was so stunned by the Kelly episode that I stayed up to midnight watching this one after I realized it was not the original WATN.

I am cautiously optimistic about Milla, although I would feel better about her if she would say "I need to walk again, I need to take care of my children, I need to become independent and drive, I need to get a job,  I need to participate in life."  Well, she can cook so there's that.   I do think she liked being bed bound for attention and for her kids to wait on her,  but maybe therapy is helping with that.  This was focused on the much needed physical therapy which I would have thought she would have gotten much earlier.  Not only do they have to strengthen her leg muscles, but I think they need to work on a fear of falling as I think she must really be unsure about her ability to balance.  She is having to learn to walk again.

I am not at all optimistic for Charity.  As she has hit "bingo" in the Addiction Bingo game--food, smoking, alcohol, and drugs.   This is not a good bingo card.  I can appreciate her wanting to help the sister Maggie, but I don't think heading back to Iowa at this point is a good idea based on the result of her 6-week visit earlier.   Even the "best" of the patients tend to gain when they go home for an extended visit (anything over a few days).  Plus she has really screwed up getting anymore skin removal surgeries, which it looks like she really needs.  I was concerned that it would turn out Charly had sneaked the pills into her mother's room, but that seems not to have been the case.  I was appalled, but not surprised, to see how heavy many of the relatives in Iowa were.  The dad, brother, and sister all could use a visit to Dr Now.   I would guess the only thing that kept Maggie from being super morbidly obese is that she has the mind of a two year old.  She's heavy, but looks downright skinny around most of the family.  Added to addiction issues, moving back to Iowa where her ex-boyfriend has knocked up her sister is not a good idea.   At least, as far  as we know, he has stayed away from Charly.  I would hope that Charity would not overeat again, because of the odd way the fat accumulates on her body, but I doubt that will deter her.  I do think if TLC offers her a follow-up, she will probably do it for the $.   I would like to see a follow-up on Charly just to see how she is doing.

Speaking of Charly, I was glad she got the suregery, but was surprised it was while her mom was still recovering, but I think Dr Now figured that it was now or never.  I am sure he knew Charity wouldn't stay in Houston once he told her he wasn't doing more surgeries on her and that he would never see Charly again.  Charly need to move a few states away from Iowa; she needs to go back to school and/or get a job.  

I enjoyed watching the skin removal surgeries, and I get excited when they weigh the blobs of fat they remove.  Much more interesting than the gastric sleeve surgery.   I am just weird that way.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, rlc said:

Wait- Milla’s youngest has never seen her walk? So she was big enough that she couldn’t walk, but was still making babies? Woah.

The four youngest are all adopted.   The oldest who stayed behind in Houston is her only biological child.  (Or 2 were biological, and 3 were adopted)

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Twopper said:

The four youngest are all adopted.   The oldest who stayed behind in Houston is her only biological child.  (Or 2 were biological, and 3 were adopted)

Thanks for clarifying!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, Twopper said:

How on earth could a woman who was bedbound and had to be waited on hand and foot be allowed to adopt children?

Edited by AZChristian
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

I was going to ask during last night's program if Milla's legs/knees had ever been x-rayed, to show if they were broken or otherwise physically fuçked up, preventing her from walking; then I saw a helpful poster on here state that her legs were atrophied from dis-use. Aha.

About the Charity/Charly fustercluck, I have no words. They may as well be Martians, for all the relevance they have to my world.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

How on earth could a woman who was bedbound and had to be waited on hand and foot be allowed to adopt children?

She was probably mobile when they were adopted, but young enough when she took to her bed to not remember her walking.  I would say, “I’ve never seen my dad without a mustache” even thought I know he didn’t have one for the first year or so of my life.  

• Love 3

Thoughts...

Charity and that predatory "fiance" Tony... moving in on her obese sister and impregnating her?  That family is really sick.  Now... we know that this guy has no scruples whatsoever, right?  Let's hope he doesn't "volunteer to take care of" the disabled sister and rape her.  The dynamics in that family are completely sick all the way around.

Milla - I did keep wondering how 2 people as unhealthy as she and her deceased husband would be approved to foster/adopt those children?  That youngest child must have been placed with  them when Milla was bedridden.  He clearly adores Milla but wow, what an unhealthy household!  Growing up seeing your mom naked, in bed, and taken care of by your adopted siblings?  Ew!  That little boy is so sweet and loving and he's going to need years of therapy.

Milla's oldest son (Esau?)'s girlfriend?  OUCH!  She herself needs Dr Now!  That woman is also morbidly obese!!!!!!!  Scary dynamic going on there.  I'd imagine that he'd run screaming from a morbidly-obese woman, having lived life with one.  What the heck?

Charity and the drugs... she's so hateful and mean and messed up, I initially felt bad that they were able to save her when she pulled off her monitor and took those drugs.  I sure would love to know how she did it, and I hope whoever it was got caught.  I'm thinking she came up with some cash and bribed a hospital worker to go find some on the street.

Somebody mentioned that they saw a comment that Milla had located 3 of the 4 adopted children's birth parents.  Where was that?  Why did she do it?  Did they make contact?  Those children seem so devoted to her, and Milla depends on them SO MUCH, that shocked me.

Edited by Trees
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

She wasn't bed bound and her husband was still alive.  I think the four children were born to drug addicted mothers.  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

I wanted to smack her when she said Esau (so?) stayed in Houston. Good for him! Then to say she felt abandoned!? You don’t get abandoned by your children unless they dump you in some subpar nursing home against your will and forget about you. That’s such bullshit. Then to say she stopped trying 🙄 to walk because of it. That’s not how it works! You abandoned him as a parent when you made him (and the rest of those poor kids) be your full time caregiver(s) and didn’t try everything in your power to be mobile.

Good for him. I’m sure it caused no small amount of guilt to leave his younger siblings to her care. But he shouldn’t be expected to sacrifice himself at the altar of his shit mother’s desire to be a bedridden slug. 

I was going to say this exact thing. Let's go find Milla with a bullhorn, and yell this at her.

2 hours ago, Twopper said:

Yes, Esau, the oldest, is her only biological child; the rest are adopted.

9 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

She wasn't bed bound and her husband was still alive.  I think the four children were born to drug addicted mothers.  

Right, I think she was around 400lbs and not completely bedridden when the last one was adopted. 

The teeniest, tiniest part of me feels like they would've been better off with their birth parents, considering what their lives/childhoods turned into with Milla...

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Nothing says "A Tribute to My Loving Mother" better than sending a flaming garbage bag down a river.

Man, this episode really had the chance for some A+ drama with Tony hooking up with Dusty AND catching Charity popping oxys in her hospital room but apparently the camera people are only there to film one hour's worth of staged footage on one day and then they pack up and leave. They must have been pissed when they had to come back and film her in the ICU. 

After watching this episode, I still have good thoughts about Milla.  What was more obvious this time, is the large support system around her, which helps with her kids.  Her kids have had a different, possibly difficult life, dealing with caregiving, but they all look well tended and had age appropriate electronics which is important for that age group.  It was nice that her daughter remained in Tennessee rather than isolated in Houston, though I hope she isn't still doing all the cooking!  Much to like about the progress made.

As for the other half of the story,  it wasn't as bad as I expected. However, I don't really care other than hope Charlie finally breaks free from her codependence.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 3

I ended up really liking Milla and her family this time around. I teared up with Esau hugged her and told her he loved her after she walked. I hope that with therapy Milla is able to overcome her fears and become fully mobile again.

His stitchery sucks, but damn!

I love Dr. Now, but he could use some remedial stitching lessons. I do love it when he does skin removal surgery and he seems almost giddy to find out how much the excised skin weighs.

• Love 5

Poor Charlie, her stupid mother just “needs” an addiction of some sort and I was so happy she didn’t delay her surgery just because Charity can’t grow up and deal with life.  Milla was frustrating at times but it was a happy story in the end.  The only one of the three that I don’t care about is Charity.  I am so happy that Dr. Now says he will never perform another surgery on her.

Edited by ThereButFor
  • Love 5

OMG, did I just hear Esau’s girlfriend say “I think you weigh less than me now”?!  Sorry honey you weight at LEAST three times what Milla does now.

Edited by ThereButFor
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Nothing says "A Tribute to My Loving Mother" better than sending a flaming garbage bag down a river.

Man, this episode really had the chance for some A+ drama with Tony hooking up with Dusty AND catching Charity popping oxys in her hospital room but apparently the camera people are only there to film one hour's worth of staged footage on one day and then they pack up and leave. They must have been pissed when they had to come back and film her in the ICU. 

Thank you,I think we all needed a good laugh "Nothing says "A Tribute to My Loving Mother" better than sending a flaming garbage bag down a river." lol !

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 3/28/2019 at 8:17 AM, dreadfulLeigh said:

If I heard correctly, she had been in the Houston hospital for at least a month (I don't recall which time), and Esau had not visited yet.  Then later when she had been there a few months, he had only visited once or twice.  Hmm...I wonder why.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, Trees said:

Milla's oldest son (Esau?)'s girlfriend?  OUCH!  She herself needs Dr Now!  That woman is also morbidly obese!!!!!!!  Scary dynamic going on there.  I'd imagine that he'd run screaming from a morbidly-obese woman, having lived life with one.  What the heck?

8 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

OMG, did I just hear Esau’s girlfriend say “I think you weigh less than me now”?!  Sorry honey you weight at LEAST three times what Milla does now.

That was Esau's girlfriend?  Yes, color me surprised too.  And yes, she must not have an accurate physical self-image.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:58 PM, ShortyMac said:

She hasn't walked in years and her legs are atrophied.

I'm not so sure.  It wasn't just her legs.  Before she 'walked' with the walker, she was 'unable' to support herself with her arms while people were still basically holding her up during the times when she was getting weighed and attempting to walk.  I don't even think it was actual pain for arms/legs or atrophy, I think it was fear, and an unfamiliar/strange sensation that she was unwilling to push through.  And for anyone who watched Family By The Ton, Chitoka had been bed-bound for years, and was far heavier than while Milla was experiencing her weight-loss success, yet did not have that type of a problem when she tried to walk.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I bet Charity and Charly left Houston, moved home, and quit the program is because they didn't want the filming, and innuendo about their relationships.      I bet ending up in ICU, and knowing it would be talked about on TV,  was the final straw.     I'm not interested in a 2 hour update on Mila either.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1