Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E20/S07: Where Are They Now? Milla & Charity Parts 1 & 2

• Start Topic

Charity had gym to go to at home,yet her and daughter ignored it ,and Milla keeps making excuses for not walking these three had over two years tto lose the weight but failed to reach their set goals....Sad

• Love 8

Can someone remind me (I missed the first 10 minutes)...how old is Charity?  I was thinking her boyfriend was her son. I am so confused.  Does she have no teeth? Her mouth is oddly concave.

• Love 9

She's around 40, he's around 23. Yeah it's pretty obvious she has no teeth but I'm surprised she didn't put in some at least when she was eating. Maybe she can't afford dentures? How could she ever sit in a dentists chair??

This episode really needs another chapter, nobody really was what I would call a success. 

• Love 7

Milla lost 275 lbs in 2 years, from her bed, with no physical activity whatsoever. That's pretty impressive discipline to stay on the diet plan. I remember being disappointed that her first episode ended with her getting approved for surgery. Similarly, her follow up ends with her actually getting the surgery. I hope this helps accelerate her weight loss so she can make more progress toward being mobile. I was actually cheering for her when she was walking in the pool. I loved that the therapist asked how long it had been since she walked. Milla responded "3 years" and the therapist smiled and said "welcome back". That was a nice moment. Go, Milla. I don't know anything about her or her husband other than what was on the show, but I think they must have done something right to have raised this group of loving, caring, uncomplaining children. My goodness.  I will say that there should have been a way to get her out of that bed to say goodbye to her husband. 

Charity and Charley - circling the drain together. "Wanna just get some fast food?" "Ok".  Charley is an adult, there's no law that she has to live with her mother and uncle/stepdaddy (yuck). I will say she carries her weight pretty well, I would have guessed she was around 300 lbs, not approaching 400. Time to cut the cord, Charley. Get out while you are young, in control of your own destiny, and have all your teeth. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 17

Milla must be a  kind soul but to have her sons washing her in that bed seems disgusting!!  There must be a home health aid that could help her daughters to wash her.  Even in the Doctor's office when she lifted her clothes, her son was sitting there..

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

How is it that Charity and Charley have no worries about Bills, Money or anything. They just can Say "I will have the surgery, or we can have fast food" In their world, is everything FREE? if so, they need to buy some curtains and do something about that apartment.

• Love 8

Did She say, she is now going to stop following Dr Now's program.  I got news for you--you were never on it- There is nothing to STOP!!!

• Love 8

I don't think I am allowed to post it here, but if you go to Charity's facebook page, she is PISSED about how they portrayed her in last night's update.  She states that she was in and out of the hospital a lot with cellulitis infections and was on IV antibiotics and fluids (which IV fluids often do add water weight).  She also stated that Tony and Charley are not in a relationship and there is no incest going on, LOL.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
(edited)
12 minutes ago, notyrmomma said:

I don't think I am allowed to post it here, but if you go to Charity's facebook page, she is PISSED about how they portrayed her in last night's update.  She states that she was in and out of the hospital a lot with cellulitis infections and was on IV antibiotics and fluids (which IV fluids often do add water weight).  She also stated that Tony and Charley are not in a relationship and there is no incest going on, LOL.  

I guess her cheating " a little " had nothing to do with her added health problems ? as for her daughter and the uncle ,i did not want to go there ... but its obvious something  not right in that apartment and guilt is written on their faces ..... Meanwhile the checks keep rolling in ! Charley should have her top lip pierced and connect it to the bottom  pierced lip... and maybe she would stop eating so damn much .....

Edited by AVM
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, notyrmomma said:

Just for clarification, she posted on the viewing and discussion room page on Facebook. According to her they did "alot" of activities. Sorry. That's one of my biggest pet peeves. A lot is two freaking words 

• Love 10
(edited)

I think Dr Now needs to also break his patient jaws after they have the bypass surgeries ,they all cheat .....

25 minutes ago, OSM Mom said:

Just for clarification, she posted on the viewing and discussion room page on Facebook. According to her they did "alot" of activities. Sorry. That's one of my biggest pet peeves. A lot is two freaking words 

Tell her and her daughter  to get the hell off Facebook and go to the damn Gym its  at her building

Edited by AVM
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, joh said:

Does anyone else confuse Laura-the lady with the drag queen makeup- with Lupe? They look similar.

No. Laura has done well and her husband was a trillion times better than Gilbert.  Different cultures have different standards of beauty.

• Love 1
(edited)

Couldn't watch this episode.  Charity and Charley were sooo depressing.  That whole situation with Tony is just sick.  He's probably "involved" with both of them.  As for money, I wonder too how they seem to have everything paid for.  I assume Medicaid pays for the initial bypass surgery but does it then pay for the skin removal surgeries? Also, why don't they eat at a table? They are perfectly capable of doing that.  Why are all the houses so messy? Most of the caregivers in these situations aren't immobile so why can't they manage to find a garbage can..and soap..and water. Clean your house for goodness sake!! The mess drives me nuts!

Edited by Swiss
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

No. Laura has done well and her husband was a trillion times better than Gilbert.  Different cultures have different standards of beauty.

Sorry, fonfereksglen, I said they looked similar, I said nothing about their husbands or culture.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

She states that she was in and out of the hospital a lot with cellulitis infections and was on IV antibiotics and fluids (which IV fluids often do add water weight).

Hm, that might explain why Charly said "It seems like you're sicker now than before the surgery" when she was giving reasons why she herself didn't want the surgery. I was puzzled by the comment.

• Love 2

Charity's fiance is so young-looking compared to her. I know there is a huge age difference, but I just wonder what the hell they have in common at all. I strongly doubt Tony is involved with Charly, though - not only do they not give off a vibe like that, he is also her uncle (his brother is Charly's dad). 

I felt so bad when Milla's husband died. Can we get through one damn episode without a relative dying? For heaven's sake. Seems like every episode is laden with tragedy. I really like Milla's kids, though.

• Love 4
(edited)
59 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Charity's fiance is so young-looking compared to her. I know there is a huge age difference, but I just wonder what the hell they have in common at all. I strongly doubt Tony is involved with Charly, though - not only do they not give off a vibe like that, he is also her uncle (his brother is Charly's dad). 

I felt so bad when Milla's husband died. Can we get through one damn episode without a relative dying? For heaven's sake. Seems like every episode is laden with tragedy. I really like Milla's kids, though.

Tony  Sauer isn’t just Charity Pierce’s lover and confidant. His brother, Jimmy, had a previous relationship with Pierce that produced her the daughter, Charly.

Sauer first met Pierce when he was 8 and she was 25. They reconnected at a party six years ago.This people are human pigs living off others..and bitching about how hard their lives are !

Mila    feel sorry I don't! wouldn't you want to die to get away from from that mess of a life  ? a 600 lbs woman absolutely useless and having to be feed and cleaned regularly .The man is free ,God Bless those Kids its abuse......

Edited by AVM
  • Love 4

If one took a drink for each time Milla said "I'm doing all I can to be walking soon" one would be flat-out stinking blind drunk by the time the show was half over. She milked that immobility for all it was worth. Dr. Now told her she had to be up and walking to avoid blood clots after surgery but that didn't faze her at all. Her ass stayed glued to that wheelchair. She wasn't walking (except for the pool) but he did the surgery anyway, much to my disappointment. Wonder how she did afterwards. I can hear her now, complaining to the nurses that it's too hard for her to get up, but I guess that's a story for Part 3.

That scene with Charity and Charly &  their identical chewing while sitting in Dr. Now's waiting room, ugh - they looked like a couple of cows chewing their cuds. I get that Charity wanted Charly to lose weight, but she kept trying to control her. You can't impose your will on someone that doesn't want to be helped. Charly clearly had no interest in following the diet. She refused to do what was necessary then wondered why she gained.  They both have a long way to go but I see Charity having more chance of success in the long run. She needs to lose the useless hangdog of a boytoy and gain a set of dentures.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

Can someone remind me (I missed the first 10 minutes)...how old is Charity?  I was thinking her boyfriend was her son. I am so confused.  Does she have no teeth? Her mouth is oddly concave.

Her midsection looks oddly concave too

Just now, gigiann said:

Pretty sickening, huh? 

Think about a system that would give a "disabled "Milla  and her husband foster children to care for while they receive checks for each one ,meanwhile the foster children are feeding and cleaning her on a full time bases.... like a queen bee

• Love 20
38 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

If one took a drink for each time Milla said "I'm doing all I can to be walking soon" one would be flat-out stinking blind drunk by the time the show was half over.

Don't forget to play the game every time we hear....."I'm making progress".  I think I cringe more than anything else when I hear that one. 

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, gigiann said:

Don't forget to play the game every time we hear....."I'm making progress".  I think I cringe more than anything else when I hear that one. 

or How many times do we hear Dr.now doesn't understand or that fringing phrase" My Journey "pure Oprah crap or its hard work ! Since when not doing something like over eating is considered hard work ? i say lock them in a jail cell for six months and feed them the minimum amount .they will lose weight or wire their mouths shut.

• Love 4

She wasn't walking (except for the pool) but he did the surgery anyway, much to my disappointment.

I have no idea why anyone would find this a source of disappointment, except people who like to watch other people fail. She lost 275 lbs on her own, she was engaged in water PT and "making good progress" (DRINK y'all). Surgery would accelerate her weight loss and give her a better chance for mobility. Her progress was slow, but she was absolutely one of the more committed people we've seen on this show. Other non-walkers that spring to mind are Lupe and Marla, neither of whom seem interested in life outside a chair. 

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, dahling said:

I have no idea why anyone would find this a source of disappointment, except people who like to watch other people fail. She lost 275 lbs on her own, she was engaged in water PT and "making good progress" (DRINK y'all). Surgery would accelerate her weight loss and give her a better chance for mobility. Her progress was slow, but she was absolutely one of the more committed people we've seen on this show. Other non-walkers that spring to mind are Lupe and Marla, neither of whom seem interested in life outside a chair. 

Milla case is over two years ,she has made more excuses  not to walk than Dr Now worst patients including the ones you named ....her so called Journey is in its third year at the shows end and she was still in  that damn bed ......

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, dahling said:

I have no idea why anyone would find this a source of disappointment, except people who like to watch other people fail. 

It's not a question of wanting others to fail. Dr. Now was very specific as to why he wanted Milla to be mobile before and after surgery.  I was rooting for her success (as I do for all the people I watch on this show) to get going, to take those first steps with a walker so she could recover more easily and without complications. Unfortunately she didn't hold up her end of the bargain, she was lucky he did the surgery anyway. 

• Love 10

Just finished watching this, and Milla reminded me of Penny, except maybe not as bitchy.  "I'm making progress", huh?  And using those kids to wait on you for years & years?  How can that be within the realm of OK for anyone?  

Charity & Charly, well, that just made me sad.  The "fiancé" thing is just weird.  Charity is way ahead of when we first saw her, but now it's Charly that seems destined for the same kind of life that her mother has.

I just wouldn't have had myself filmed without teeth.  I don't know how she ate steak without any teeth!  Mr. Xword has dentures, and it's still hard for him to chew some foods.  

Altogether, as someone said upthread, a depressing episode.  

• Love 4

As with some other people on this show, I think Milla had several things making it much harder for her to stand.  Contributing factors were how she carries her weight.  When she had that enormous hanging lymphedema on the bottom of her stomach, she would need a lot of muscle to pull that up.  After that was removed, she had been down for so long that she had little muscle mass left.  She has much more weight to lift than most of us do,  Her hip tendons would be damaged from too much time spent on her back with her feet splayed.  While we can say much of this was of her own doing, they are still serious issues she needs to contend with.  She seemed so joy-filled when she could stand and then walk in the water.  It was the extreme version of what the PT suggested, getting help carrying the weight.  I have had injuries that have made it difficult to move.  It is remarkable how quickly I can lose muscle mass and sense of balance, and I do not have Milla's extreme weight issue. 

While it does disturb me to see her children helping with her personal care, they seem loved and they clearly love her.  Yes, it would be much better of they did not have to help care for her because of her obesity.  With time, she may be able to care for herself. 

And yes, it took her two years to lose 275 lbs.  She was losing at a rate that most people would be very happy with.  Of course, this does not meet the kind of weight loss levels that Dr. Now wants to see from these extremely obese people.  At the same time, it is a safer rate of weight loss.  She has a long way to go, but for her sake and the sake of her children, I hope she continues to do well and can ultimately become more mobile. 

• Love 13

Milla and her late husband adopted the youngest four children.  Foster care stipends end after the adoptions are finalized.  Part of the approval process is showing that the parents can financially provide for their children.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I was disappointed with Milla not losing as much weight as Dr Now wanted but she does seem to be a good person - there was a little blurb just now that said she tried to find all of her kids' biological mothers and manage to succeed with all but one.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, CousinOliver said:

Milla and her late husband adopted the youngest four children.  Foster care stipends end after the adoptions are finalized.  Part of the approval process is showing that the parents can financially provide for their children.  

Correct!  Eventually I hope her oldest child does start to live his own life, but he certainly is a wonderful gentle soul.  Her story is very different than most others.  Her children are obviously loved. 

• Love 13

Okay I know this isn't terribly important in the larger picture, and I am probably the only one who cares, but what surgery did Milla get? I thought I heard Dr. Now say she was approved for/getting the gastric bypass, but then during the surgery, they showed him placing a big hunk of organ meat on a table and saying something like "this is the excess stomach that I removed." There is no stomach removal in gastric bypass -- the larger portion of the stomach is tied off, not cut out. Most (80% or so) of the stomach is surgically removed in gastric sleeve surgery and duodenal switch surgery, but not in bypass.

(edited)
42 minutes ago, Peanutbuttercup said:

Okay I know this isn't terribly important in the larger picture, and I am probably the only one who cares, but what surgery did Milla get? I thought I heard Dr. Now say she was approved for/getting the gastric bypass, but then during the surgery, they showed him placing a big hunk of organ meat on a table and saying something like "this is the excess stomach that I removed." There is no stomach removal in gastric bypass -- the larger portion of the stomach is tied off, not cut out. Most (80% or so) of the stomach is surgically removed in gastric sleeve surgery and duodenal switch surgery, but not in bypass.

The gastric bypass there stomach removal  to the size of a small orange ,the gastric sleeve there is not ,Dr.Now sometimes has go back in if gastric sleeve not enough to control their over eating ....Milla problem is that risk her life by staying bed bound...

Edited by AVM

No, the stomach isn't removed in gastric bypass. It is just tied/stapled so that there is one larger "blind" pouch in the abdominal cavity and one very small pouch that is left to process food. I've had sleeve surgery and when I was discussing bariatric surgery options with my doctor, he made it quite plain that a potential downside to gastric bypass surgery is that the stomach is not removed but there is no easy way to scope or inspect it -- so, for example, if that "bypassed" stomach develops stomach cancer it can be difficult to see and diagnose.

Description of gastric bypass and gastric sleeve surgeries

Gastric-Bypass-Vs.-Gastric-Sleeve-Weight-Loss-Surgery.jpg

• Useful 2
On 5/18/2017 at 10:31 AM, joh said:

How is it that Charity and Charley have no worries about Bills, Money or anything. They just can Say "I will have the surgery, or we can have fast food" In their world, is everything FREE? if so, they need to buy some curtains and do something about that apartment.

And why was their front window duct-taped up?

I'm hoping it was due to the filming.

• Love 2

Milla's house was very clean and her children were well cared for and loved. It was horrible that they had to care for her due to her inability to walk.  Unfortunately, kids have much worse experiences in foster care.  They were lovely kids, but enablers. Especially the older son. He has a weight problem as well.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Peanutbuttercup said:

No, the stomach isn't removed in gastric bypass. It is just tied/stapled so that there is one larger "blind" pouch in the abdominal cavity and one very small pouch that is left to process food. I've had sleeve surgery and when I was discussing bariatric surgery options with my doctor, he made it quite plain that a potential downside to gastric bypass surgery is that the stomach is not removed but there is no easy way to scope or inspect it -- so, for example, if that "bypassed" stomach develops stomach cancer it can be difficult to see and diagnose.

Description of gastric bypass and gastric sleeve surgeries

Gastric-Bypass-Vs.-Gastric-Sleeve-Weight-Loss-Surgery.jpg

So he must have given her the sleeve...that seemed to be his procedure of choice this season.  I think the doctors are all now really recommending the sleeve first because it produces just about the same results as the bypass and has less overall risk.  And a revision to the bypass can always be done if the sleeve isn't producing enough results. (I had the sleeve done too, best decision I ever made)

• Love 2
On 5/19/2017 at 4:53 PM, LocalGovt said:

And why was their front window duct-taped up?

I'm hoping it was due to the filming.

It might have been for filming but I know people that live like that. I don't understand it. Like hoarders and people with other addictions, it's almost a way of blocking out the outside world (not with "things" but with an actual barrier in this case). 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mamadrama said:

It might have been for filming but I know people that live like that. I don't understand it. Like hoarders and people with other addictions, it's almost a way of blocking out the outside world (not with "things" but with an actual barrier in this case). 

I live in the desert, and the sun is brutal and awful and hot here. And I'm sensitive to the bright light, so I hate having the blinds or the curtains open. And I've had nosy neighbors in the past that would take the opportunity to take a peek if the windows were open.  I was referring more to the sheet and duct tape set up. Curtains or blinds are cheap from Walmart and look so much nicer. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, IvySpice said:

WAIT WHAT IN THE WHAT NOW?

Yep.  So if Tony and Charity marry, then Tony would be Charly's uncle and her stepdad.  Charly's dad and Charity's former lover would then be Charity's brother-in-law as well as the father of her only child.  Wait, I think that also means Charly's dad would now be her uncle by marriage?  Geez, I need a drink.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, MrsClaus said:

Yep.  So if Tony and Charity marry, then Tony would be Charly's uncle and her stepdad.  Charly's dad and Charity's former lover would then be Charity's brother-in-law as well as the father of her only child.  Wait, I think that also means Charly's dad would now be her uncle by marriage?  Geez, I need a drink.

I hear banjos....

• LOL 11
  • Love 8