Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E26: Live Semifinal Eliminations

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Noreaster said:

Would Jesse's I Was Wrong song on Monday be considered country?  I looked it up and it's by Chris Stapleton who's a country artist.  If so, that's the type of country music I like.  

I have a blues band that does some roots rock (Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis) and the occasional Hank Williams and Johnny Cash tune. I've had people tell me to check out Chris Stapleton, so I probably should. He might be the kind of country artist I like too.

16 hours ago, Noreaster said:

I thought all three instant save performances were pretty good this week.  Actually liked Jesse's the least as I just don't care for country.  But obviously on this show, a significant number of viewers do.  

Would Jesse's I Was Wrong song on Monday be considered country?  I looked it up and it's by Chris Stapleton who's a country artist.  If so, that's the type of country music I like. 

I also thought all 3 performances were quite good.  I personally preferred Brennley's, but also liked the others.

I've always thought that Chris Stapleton was a perfect example of how the definition of country has grown so broad in recent years as to include almost anything that's not electronic, punk or metal.  Two or three decades ago he would have been considered mostly blues, with a hint of southern rock.

On 5/17/2017 at 1:41 PM, Sugar said:

I thought that was truly shittastic, but that was nothing compared with DNCE.

During their whole performance I thought they were a novelty act or prank, and that the real band would come out any minute. Nope, turns out they're just really fucking terrible! Between the lead singer's lack of singing, the bassist's homemade Tarzan costume, and the worst guitar solo I've ever heard, I cannot believe that someone gave these people a record contract. I've heard better music from my neighbour's shitty ass guitar band, and those are just 12 year olds who bang on things and scream. Jesus.

DNCE can a get a place hopping like few other current groups can, particularly given that they actually play instruments rather than it being all electronic like most dance music these days.  This adds a certain welcome rawness that is so missing in most of what you hear in dance clubs.  But all this is in part because their live performances tend to focus more on ramping up the adrenaline over musicianship.  Joe Jonas (formally of the Jonas Brothers) is actually a pretty good singer, when he's not jumping around like crazy.  I do admit that I was a bit disappointed in the JinJoo's guitar solo in that particular performance. While she's never going to match up to some of the better female lead guitarists around, she's usually pretty serviceable given the type of music they play. 

• Love 1

I'll have to look up Chris Stapleton's stuff.  Also randomly, I recently started listening to Sturgill Simpson because my local PBS station was playing one of his concerts.  I thought this music was more in the Americana category (which I know I like) but it seems to be classified as country.