Type keyword(s) to search

World Of Dance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought the poor sound editing was because of the warehouse stage but nope, they are doing the same thing on the big stage. What the hell happened? Every time a judge chimes in the levels spike (because their mics pick up the music in the background) and then it cuts back to an overlayed music track at normal levels. Why can't they isolate the judges mics from the studio's ambient live noise?

• Love 3

S4.E10: Semi Finals 1

Six of the top 12 acts take to the "World of Dance" stage for the first time this season; the judges score each performance based on artistry, technique, choreography, creativity and presentation; the top two scoring acts move on to the world final.

Original air date: 8/4/20

From 12 to 4, and he last two episodes in two days? And most of the show taking place in a warehouse. Is this NBC begrudgingly fulfilling a requirement? I'm getting the impression someone hates the show but they were contracted for one more season.

• Love 5

I was underwhelmed with ALL of the performances. I couldn’t wait to see the semi Finals show but I lost interest really fast. I missed Twitch too! 
The team sob stories are unnecessary. Who cares I just want to see the dancing. 
the judges grate, same thing every episode. The “host” is a non starter. Sorry I sound so depressing,  it had so much potential. 

• Love 2
On 8/5/2020 at 7:29 AM, Keekski said:

I was surprised last night that it wasn't all Juniors vs Juniors and Upper vs Upper. 

I thought they were going to divide them that way too.  They decided who they wanted in the finals and divided them that way.

ETA - That salsa lady really needs to tone down her facial expressions.  She can catch flies with how wide she opens her mouth.

Also, while I didn't want little Savannah to make it.  I will say that she handles pressure better than some adults.  That's especially true during the duels.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 4

4.10 performances

Spoiler

The Young Cast: "Bohemian Rhapsody" by David Garrett and Panic! At the Disco

Savannah Manzel Dances to "Dreamweaver" by J2

Jefferson y Adrianita Dance to "Oh Mayi" by Ricky Campanelli

Grvmnt Dance to "Tear Da Roof Off" by Busta Rhymes

Kurtis Sprung Dances to "Monsters" by James Blunt

Géométrie Variable Dances to "Tessellate" by Ellie Goulding

Backstage to main stage: Jefferson y Adrianita

Front row: Géométrie Variable

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
13 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm so glad that little girl is gone, I was so annoyed when she had a prop. 

What annoyed me is that lyra is a legitimate and beautiful cirque skill on its own but she just used it as a fucking prop. I am 99% sure that it wasn't her idea to have the whole Native American theme to go with the Dreamweaver song so I don't want to put the blame on a 9 year old when you know it was really her choreographer or some other adult who came up with this concept, but the entire routine was a miss for me.

The problem with emotional (or "emotional") routines like the one Kurtis did is that sometimes the dancer gets SO into the emotion that the technique suffers. You can't get so passionate and emotional that you lose control of your movements and get sloppy, which he did.

I can't lie - I was ready for Maddy to get eliminated the previous week because once again, she did a routine while wearing pointe shoes but NOT ACTUALLY DANCING EN POINTE. STOP IT. I mean, seriously, a single pirouette into one fouetté? GTFO.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What annoyed me is that lyra is a legitimate and beautiful cirque skill on its own but she just used it as a fucking prop. I am 99% sure that it wasn't her idea to have the whole Native American theme to go with the Dreamweaver song so I don't want to put the blame on a 9 year old when you know it was really her choreographer or some other adult who came up with this concept, but the entire routine was a miss for me.

Especially because the actual Indigenous Hoop Dancers were eliminated a long time ago because the judges didn't know what to do with them. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, realdancemom said:

ETA - That salsa lady really needs to tone down her facial expressions.  She can catch flies with how wide she opens her mouth.

I came here to say the exact same thing. She had her gaping maw so wide open during the entire dance, that's all I could focus on. She's lucky they were dancing inside because seagulls could have flown down her throat. Or a fly-eating bat chasing those insects that no doubt were stuck to the back of her mouth afterward.

I also agreed with ... was it Ne-Yo? ... that the salsa dude was shaky on the lifts and not exactly steady throughout.

I hated that they got sent through in second place. WTH. I would even rather have seen the floor-gymnast girl get through before those two. And speaking of, she really should try out for the U.S. Olympic team, forget "dancing."

I was rooting for Kurtis because, well, Kurtis. But I found his routine disappointing. But if he can get some work with Derek, then good on him. I hope to see him again, somewhere. Anywhere. Heh.

The Geometry French guys were my favorite of the night.

• Love 7

It was so obvious that they had already chosen who they wanted to go through. In past seasons it was not so in your face, but this year they basically grouped the teams out ahead of time so that they would know who was going to the finals. How exactly were the teams grouped? They didn't even bother to fake an explanation on that! 

I really did not like that the teams did not go up against groups in their own divisions. What's the point of the divisions? This season was so strange. I hope they return to the original format next year.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I also agreed with ... was it Ne-Yo? ... that the salsa dude was shaky on the lifts and not exactly steady throughout.

I like that salsa couple, but I thought their routine was super shaky. I didn't think they were going through, and they ended up with the highest score?? The scores had nothing to do with their performance, once again it seemed that it was pre-determined. I keep comparing them to Karen y Ricardo who were flawless and didn't make it past semifinals if I remember correctly. 

I thought The Young Crew and Geometrie should have advanced. Super bummed about GRVMNT, J Lo was right-- they danced as well as they could with the lackluster choreography in their routine.  That group proved that they can handle whatever choreography is tossed at them, hope they come back with updated routines next year. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, mandigirl said:

I thought The Young Crew and Geometrie should have advanced.

Agree 100 percent. Also agree that winners have been already determined. Posters were complaining they didn't like the "Yes/No" judge voting, they missed the number scoring, but all that number stuff is just a time waster since the winners/losers have already been decided.

• Love 5

I have to say, while I love Kurtis I was massively distracted by his pit hair. I mean dude wanted to show off his abs for JLo no doubt, but every time he raised his arms, which was often, all I could see was gross pit hair flashing me.

I'd rather guys wear a shirt. It can be Spandex and form fitting, but please, spare us your nasty pit hair that's long enough to braid.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I have to say, while I love Kurtis I was massively distracted by his pit hair. I mean dude wanted to show off his abs for JLo no doubt, but every time he raised his arms, which was often, all I could see was gross pit hair flashing me.

I'd rather guys wear a shirt. It can be Spandex and form fitting, but please, spare us your nasty pit hair that's long enough to braid.

I'd rather see a guy who is comfortable with his body and has pit hair than one of those guys who thinks he needs to wax off every bit of body hair. I find it distracting when guys are as hairless as newborns from the neck down. It's so unnatural.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'd rather see a guy who is comfortable with his body and has pit hair than one of those guys who thinks he needs to wax off every bit of body hair.l.I find it distracting when guys are as hairless as newborns from the neck down. It's so unnatural.

You mean neck-down-newborn-hairless guys like Kurtis Sprung? Why do these dudes wax everything yet leave five-inch-long pit hair blowing in the breeze? Maybe Kurtis can tell us why he shaves his body but ignores his pits. I wish he would at least braid them. Or put on a shirt. I've yet to see any guy anywhere shave his pits, like it's a sign of his masculinity. Reference: The Bachelor franchise.

kurtis-sprung.thumb.jpg.005dd2f7a666990a6af635aee215601f.jpg

Funnily enough, I was thinking of the Tinikling (the dance they were doing with the bamboo) this morning. This Is yet another issue I have with the show. If someone/group performs anything “ethnical”,  anything outside of the strict triad of contemporary, hip hop, or Latin ballroom, the judges won’t like it. It’s the very antithesis of World of Dance. 

• Love 4

S4.E11: Semi Finals 2

The final six of the top 12 acts take to the World of Dance stage for the first time; the judges score each performance based on artistry, technique, choreography, creativity and presentation; the top two scoring acts move on to the world final.

Original air date: 8/11/20

4.11 performances

Spoiler

Keagan Capps Dances to "Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence

UPeepz Dances to "Bebot" by Black Eyed Peas

Jake & Chau Dance to "Say You Love Me" by Jessie Ware

Bailey & Kida: "Momma I Hit a Lick" - 2 Chainz Ft. Kendrick Lamar

Oxygen Dances to a Remix of Bach's "Toccata"

MDC 3 Dance to "This Woman's Work" by Maxwell

S4.E12: The World Final

The top four acts take the stage for the last time to compete for the title of Best in the World with the judges scoring their performance; the top overall scoring act is crowned champion and wins the grand prize of $1 million.

Original air date: 4/12/20

I’m glad MDC3 won. I thought for sure the French group had it in the bag, but then their performance seemed lackluster compared to their last one. I’m sure they’ll do fine from here on out, though. 

I won’t miss Derek saying “hey” five million times a performance. Wish they’d mute his mic. 

I liked last season better overall. 

Having no audience must have been hard, but as for what we saw on TV I think they tried to make up for it the best they could. 

• Love 4

The really tried to fake it with no live audience, they must have turned the mics up on every family member & told them all to scream.

Weren’t the scores in the finale always hidden until the end in previous seasons? I could have sworn we didn't find out until the end previously, it took  away all the suspense.

Not happy MDC3 won, I find them creepy, and boy was that ending rushed. I guess they had nothing else to do once the winner was announced.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2

I'm honestly surprised that Savannah didn't get a higher score, what with the way the judges were talking about her.

I liked Kurtis, and really liked this dance, but I'm also really tired of sob stories...

I personally think the right two went through.

On 8/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, saber5055 said:

I agree with this, and with the comments about the woman's facial expressions, but even with that being said they were still better than the ones who didn't make it(except maybe Kurtis)<shrug>

• Love 1

4.12 performances

Spoiler

Oxygen Dances to "Sail" by Awolnation

MDC 3 Dances to "I Surrender" by Céline Dion

Jefferson y Adrianita: "Celia y Tito" by Celia Cruz and Tito Puente

Géométrie Variable: "You Know You Like It" by AlunaGeorge & DJ Snake

I wanted Oxygen to win but I guess out of the remaining three groups, I'd go for MDC 3. I don't like the ballroom group (preferred the Italian couple) and I never liked Geometrie Variable. I keep zoning out during their performances. I find them dull. 

• Love 4

I thought Jake and Chau should have been in the finals instead of either the salsa couple or Geometrie Variable.  Their scores were higher too.  But I'm sure the show knew who they wanted in the finals and organized the finalists that way.  The fair way to do it would have been to take the top four scores of the semi-finalists.

Glad that MDC3 won.  They do emotional pieces but their technique is spot on too.  Usually, it's the well known hip hop groups that are very well synchronized.  But contemporary groups are not.  Even if the dancers individually are good, they're usually not together.  When MDC3 dance, their legs move at the same height and time.  Their movements flow from one move to the next so that their transitions are not awkward.  They had some cool lifts too.  It's also nice that after four seasons, we finally get a non hip-hop winner.  Also was Blake McGrath one of their friends or family?  I wonder if he taught them.

If MDC3 didn't win, I would have wanted it to be Oxygen but their routine started out well and sort of lost steam.  But I wouldn't have scored them so low.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I was just kind of ... meh with the finals. Something about the format this season, without the structure of the division match ups, just didn't do it for me. I truly hated the 'studio' setting for the initial rounds. I didn't think the contenders in the rounds were well-paired or fairly paired. There were definitely some more exciting dance groups that should have made it further. 

Also thought Jake and Chau should have made it through to the finals instead of the Latin ballroom pair. Nothing against them-- they were likeable. Just thought Jake and Chau had a super strong semi-final routine. 

I was OK with MD3 winning. They are strong dancers. They've been dancing together for a long time and it shows. I would have preferred Oxygen. I thought Oxygen's semifinal routine was RIDICULOUS. So so good. They may have been one of the cleanest groups ever on the series, period. 

The small print is that the $1M prize is an annuity, not a lump sum. So cheap NBC. Most people take less now so they can get a lump sum instead of the annuity. So MD3 probably won't get $1M, but still likely a very decent pay day. 

4 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I don't like the ballroom group (preferred the Italian couple)

Agreed. I really liked Luca and Allesandra. Their qualifier routine was one of my favorites. 

• Love 7

I did think the stairs and the platform were a big mistake for the Latin ballroom couple. It just shot a hole in their momentum. I liked MDC3 even though I am not a big contemporary fan. They were good and I think being a trio brings something fresh to the show.

• Love 6

this was my first season to watch and I generally enjoyed it. I liked lots of acts so I was flexible on who won. I liked MDC3  a lot. Geometrie (sp) was good but I think their umbrella routine was stronger than their final performance. Oxygen was amazing but I agreed that the routine lost energy as it went along. 

I do hope NBC learns (assuming there is another season) how to do that little box on screen if they want to show reaction shots--you know the way Trevor Noah and others have been doing remote interviews during the pandemic. I don't mind a little box at the bottom of the screen where I can see reactions if I choose to notice them--but there should be no cut away during a routine. I can't understand why they haven't tried that method. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
21 hours ago, realdancemom said:

But I'm sure the show knew who they wanted in the finals and organized the finalists that way.  The fair way to do it would have been to take the top four scores of the semi-finalists.

I agree. Dancers could be WOW all season, in every performance, then lose some steam in the very last one and bye, you're gone.

I really didn't care who won in the end since I always forget a week later who won any of these reality shows. I was just glad to see the salsa couple drop out of the top two. Once that was done, I was going to be fine with whomever won. I just disliked "Derek's parents" for so many reasons.

Does the show think routines are embellished and made better by the multiple loud interjections of "HEY!" and other judge exclamations? So distracting. Can't TPTB just let the people dance and let us see their routines as they were meant to be?

(Answer: No.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I bet NBC is regretting not doing the duals on the big stage. They only had what, 3 episodes there and then without an audience to boot. No perfect scores, and the finale hit with a big thud. 

They spent too much time in the warehouse. And please please please just mute the judges mics. We don't need to hear each one yell "hey" every few moves.

MDC3 were the best of the night. So glad they won. 

Latin dancers made a huge mistake with the stage. That first lift was hilariously bad. It looked like he was chucking a log in a strongman competition. 

Oxygen was 2nd best of the night. I liked the fast hands they are known for.

Geometry or whatever were boring this time. It felt very gimmicky this time and not as cool as past performances. 

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, lynxfx said:

Latin dancers made a huge mistake with the stage. That first lift was hilariously bad. It looked like he was chucking a log in a strongman competition. 

YES. I don't know what they were thinking with that raised stage, it was a terrible idea. I was rooting for them, but as soon as I saw him throw her up on that stage, I knew they didn't win.

• Love 2

This show pissed me off. I'm behind and don't even want to watch the end. How the eff did they group these? I felt like the strongest groups were mainly all on the second semifinal night. I hate that the salsa couple went through too

• Love 2

All of the semifinalists should have competed on the same night in a two hour show. That way, all the performers would have competed against every finalist. The way it was done this season, seems very unfair to the superior acts who competed on night two.

Going in to the second night, I just assumed the performer's scores from the first night would have been included to see who would advance. The way they did it was not fair at all.

• Love 6
On 8/15/2020 at 7:23 PM, Carrots4 said:

Why was JLo saying that Jefferson and Adrianita were the first salsa couple to get that far? Do Karen y Ricardo not count? Maybe I misheard...

I'm too lazy to check but I think Karen y Ricardo did not make the finals.  I like the latter more but I also think the contestants this year overall were not as strong as previous seasons especially the first two.

11 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I'm too lazy to check but I think Karen y Ricardo did not make the finals.  I like the latter more but I also think the contestants this year overall were not as strong as previous seasons especially the first two.

Karen y Ricardo finished second in Upper Division, behind Michael Dameski, who finished second to The Lab in the finals.

WOD has the opposite problem of SYTYCD, imho. SYTYCD favors cross-training to the point that less talented dancers who cross-train can sometimes be deemed vote-worthy over more talented dancers who specialize. E.g. Super cross-trained Jensen vs. specialist Magda. Jensen was comfortable across more styles, but Magda had more natural ability wrt technique, expression, and range, imho. Had Magda cross-trained her whole life--or had Jensen specialized--the difference would have been apparent, imho.

OTOH, WOD favors specialization to the point of branding. Take Dameski as an example. He won SYTYCD Australia, and played Billy Elliot on stage (like SYTYCD U.S. winner Lex Ishimoto). He's very capable at jazz, tap, and hip hop, but you would never know from his WOD performances that amounted to a Dameski "brand" of acrobatic contemporary. Or Charity Anderson, who placed third overall behind Dameski. Though talented and highly cross-trained, she and partner Andres could display only a narrow, athletic brand of duo contemporary on WOD. Etc. etc. with talented, cross-trained dancers on WOD. The end result is that just four performances could win WOD this season, while firmly establishing an MDC 3 brand of narrative contemporary.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Love 6

I would be okay with a one-off special Battle of the All Stars. Take the three winners and a bunch of the better finalists and have one big dance off, for bragging rights and not $1 million. Everyone gets to have fun, to show off, and have more television exposure. Everybody likes a dance off.

As for the show, don't spend the majority of the season in a warehouse and make the direct match ups more equal. Do some kind of showcase with cultural dances. SYTYCD has special guest performances, take the three minutes of airtime wasted showing the judges bullshitting around (if you're reading this NBC, we don't care!) and have something like the hoop dancers instead.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I would be okay with a one-off special Battle of the All Stars. Take the three winners and a bunch of the better finalists and have one big dance off, for bragging rights and not $1 million. Everyone gets to have fun, to show off, and have more television exposure. Everybody likes a dance off.

As for the show, don't spend the majority of the season in a warehouse and make the direct match ups more equal. Do some kind of showcase with cultural dances. SYTYCD has special guest performances, take the three minutes of airtime wasted showing the judges bullshitting around (if you're reading this NBC, we don't care!) and have something like the hoop dancers instead.

Yes to all of this!