Type keyword(s) to search

World Of Dance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, nx74defiant said:

Les Twins routine reminded me of a routine on So You Think You Can Dance - business man walks by homeless man on floor. Only SYTYCD did it better. Any one else remember the SYTYCD routine and if it is online?

When they were talking to Diana I was happy and looking forward to her happy kid dance. Than disappointed to see the same old moody routine. I kept waiting for the music and mood to change, but no. Sigh.

Right now Eva is my favorite.

Here's a link to the SYTYCD routine:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BePGx_KjvmM  It was a contemporary choregraphed by Stacey Tookey and danced by Billy and Ade.

Glad Eva won since I never thought Diana was that good.  I did think she was going to do a happy dance and was surprised she gave angst again.

Love Kinjaz but my favorite routine was the one where they used screens.  I agree with those that said Swing Latino did a Las Vegas or Olympic opening night routine.  Kinjaz did a dance performance for a stage.  I think they chose a subdued dance since JLo said that they can't match SL's energy.  I prefer their more higher energy dances.  But they were clean while SL wasn't as clean.  I prefer Kinjaz but it wasn't a travesty that SL won.

K & M were robbed though.  JLo rigged it when she gave them a 90 and Les Twins a 99.  I did like that Les Twins had a concept and showed emotion than they normally do.  Plus the twin that was hurt still had great contractions/,movement even sitting in a chair.  But K & M had the better production, story, etc.  I especially love the ending where everything was black & white except for the red wedding ring box and petals.  It was so touching.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 3
On 2017-06-25 at 2:36 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:
On 2017-06-24 at 9:17 AM, saber5055 said:

LOL at Nick being good at HMV. We need a new acronym for him.

I remember in S1 of SYTYCD, we did have an acronym on TWoP for when guys did HMV but I can't remember what it was. HMB?

On 2017-06-26 at 8:50 AM, romantic idiot said:

HMS - Here's my Schlong. 

Actually, although it was HMS, it stood for Here's My Scrotum. But substituting schlong works as well, it just wasn't the used term back in early SYTYCD years. (I kept up the "SYTYCD Dictionary" thread back on TWoP).

Keone & Mari should have won over Les Twins.  An interesting set (black & white, elevator) with perfect dancing to a wonderful story.  I feel Les Twins got the sympathy vote because of the injury drama and wheelchair performance.  Although it is a great improv to accommodate the injured twin, they just didn't dance their hearts out like K & M and, again, it was too angsty.

I believe JLo is bound and determined to make Swing Latino the winners.  It's so obvious she has a bias toward them because of their Latin origins.  I don't think SL is that great; at least in this show their costumes were better, but there's just too much going on and it looks messy.

Eva Igo won my heart when she danced to "Creep" in July and I loved this performance way more than Diana Pombo's.  I was thrilled that Eva won.

Edited by CelticBlackCat
  • Love 6

I just watched this and wanted to give my unbiased opinion before going back to read this thread. Now I see what the judges see. With the exception of Eva, who I have loved from the start, and who deserved to win her division by technique alone, I was skeptical of the division winners. I still love K&M and Kinjaz, and I would rather watch them dance because I like their styles better but Swing Latino and Les Twins blew me away. I do think that either competitor could have deserved to win in these divisions, I am not angry at the outcome. Also kudos to the judges for their advice which clearly improved the performances. Sad that my favorites lost but can't complain too much about the judging.

• Love 2

Blech.  The only routine Swing Latino did that I liked was last week when they ditched the garish sequins and crap and seemed less frenzied.  Hated that awful routine tonight.  Eva Igo makes my skin crawl.  I know that's harsh to say about a kid, but she just creeps me out.  She just seems so fake and phoney and full-on competition kid.  I wasn't crazy about Diana either, but she seems less fake to me.  I love Les Twins, although this was not their best performance.  I like Keoni and Mari's dance as well, but I didn't think it was their best either.  But I do thought they should have won.  Anyway, for me, the only ones left I have any interest in is Les Twins.  Can't stand the other two.  Not sure I'd watch a second season.  This one has been a big disappointment.

• Love 1

I like Eva Igo and don't see anything fake or phony about her.  I think she's cute, pretty, has great costumes, I loved her decorated stage sets, and she doesn't seem snobby or stuck up.  She seems genuine to me.  She has grown by letting her emotions out and into her routine.  You don't get as accomplished as this young lady is at the age of 14 without having a competitive streak.

• Love 7

I love Eva and the way she switches from in character to her joyful real self in a heartbeat. Cannot stand Swing Latino. I agree that they are a muddled mess and migraine-inducing. Just no. I also did not really like K & M. I find them overly precious without the chops to back it up and the routine they did in this episode did not dissuade me from that opinion. I like Kinjaz (sp?) but thought their zero energy routine with almost no connection to the audience was a tactical error.

• Love 3

Right before Les Twins performed the one in the wheelchair turned his head to the judges and shouted "no mercy."  Like he was challenging them. That's when I knew  K&M were screwed.

Koalagirl, are you saying this because K&M were screwed because that meant the judges would pity Les Twins?  Or because that meant Les Twins were going to go for it hard?  I thought their rountine was way too short--ended too quickly.

I quit watching entirely after Kinjaz were eliminated.  The judges are obnoxious and shitty actors, the shenanigans are obvious and their chosen ones are nothing special.  

K&M are NappyTabs copycats, with the overly literal storytelling.  

Les Twins are Les Dull and out of synch.  

Swing Latino is only there so Jen can speak Spanish every episode.

Eva Igo is there to check off the maybe-the-next Maddie Ziegler box.

From the preview, it looks like the injured twin in Les Twins is not injured.  I hope so.  I would have been o.k. if they beat K & M with normal circumstances.  I just didn't think they should have with their routine.  Based on scores, I think they are set up to win.

• Love 1

So Les Twins won, shocker! ( not)
I want to be Eva when I grow up.
Funnily enough, this was the first time I liked, swing Latino ( well their first dance) 
I only really tuned in to see Derek. 
Eva was so emotional, at least she placed 2nd bless her.

• Love 7

Against my better judgement, I watched.  Let's see...

Le Twins were out of synch and there's just two of them.  They brought nothing new or interesting as stealing half your moves from MJ is neither.  

Swing Latino was out of synch but there's a gajillion of them so that's harder to do (though Kinja's succeeded each time they danced)

Eva danced her heart out but there was no way they were putting $1,000,000 into the hands of a 14 year old that hadn't paid her dues yet.

I predicted almost all the advancing teams throughout the competition because it was telescoped so clearly and/or the judges did a poor job hiding their biases.  I will not watch next season.

Edited by dcubed
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, dcubed said:

Swing Latino was out of synch but there's a gajillion of them so that's harder to do (though Kinja's succeeded each time they danced)

Thank goodness Eva beat them out! One of the judges was talking about their transitions with the chairs and how smooth it was.....NOT. They were having problems getting them set up and it showed if one was watching. It was pretty obvious that they underscored Eva in the first round...surely didn't want to have her leading and then do an amazing routine, did they? Well, people now know who she is but I sure wished she could have won so she could help with the expenses..something that Les Twins probably don't need nearly as much.

Edited by suebee12
to correct bad English!
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Thank goodness Eva beat them out! One of the judges were talking about their transitions with the chairs and how smooth it was.....NOT. They were having problems getting them set up and it showed if one was watching. It was pretty obvious that they underscored Eva in the first round...surely didn't want to have her leading and then do an amazing routine, did they? Well, people now know who she is but I sure wished she could have won so she could help with the expenses..something that Les Twins probably don't need nearly as much.

We can't assume that professional dancers make a lot of money. I know many, and they don't. They are always hustling for their next gig. Don't forget that they are constantly taking classes and conditioning themselves, and that training isn't cheap, even if they're working professionals. I believe that was what Jennifer Lopez said was part of the impetus for this show.

• Love 2

Well one things for sure, we have not seen Eva dance for the last time. This was her springboard to better things

Btw, isn't one million a tad high, it could have been divided between all three.

• Love 16

Boo.  Well, I was wrong about Swing Latino and JLo's bias.  I have more respect for her now that it wasn't obviously rigged for them to win.  I really thought Eva gave perfect performances, upped her game with each new routine, and expressed herself so wonderfully besides all the technical moves being right on.  Love her stage sets and costumes, hair, makeup.  Les Twins ripping MJ was nothing extraordinary.  I like the guys, they are sweet, cute and have great outfits/costumes, but I really wanted Eva to win as I thought she actually deserved to.  She was such a great sport, smiling and happy, even though she came in second.  She's got integrity and a bright future, even without the WOD win.  Maybe it's a blessing in disguise and something better for her will happen!

Edited by CelticBlackCat
More praise for Eva.
  • Love 6

Les Twins deserved the win based on their first performance. JLo chose a great song (Stole the Show) for them and they killed the choreography there. I didn't like their 2nd performance but their first performance was great enough to get the win, IMO. They work best when they are standing side by side together. Eva is great but I didn't like her 2nd performance as well and she kept doing the same move/choreography.

Swing Latino is such a non-factor. I don't know how they are in the finale.

2 hours ago, GaT said:

That was....meh. I'm not really impressed by Les Twins.

Once they justified a Les Twins win over FikShun, I felt they would win.

1 hour ago, waving feather said:

Swing Latino is such a non-factor. I don't know how they are in the finale.

They are high energy, entertaining and risky.  Viewers like this.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, hula-la said:

We can't assume that professional dancers make a lot of money. I know many, and they don't. They are always hustling for their next gig. Don't forget that they are constantly taking classes and conditioning themselves, and that training isn't cheap, even if they're working professionals. I believe that was what Jennifer Lopez said was part of the impetus for this show.

I am not saying that they do not have big expenses but they do have jobs to help them out. I think it is wonderful that she realized how much her lessons cost and wants to help out; many kids do not.

5 hours ago, Hello Lady said:

Btw, isn't one million a tad high, it could have been divided between all three.

This could be a great solution...$500,000 to the winner, $300,000 for second and $200,000 for third. That is still a huge amount of money to win. I know that they wanted to make it sound great, a million dollars to the winner but I always hate that someone who has made it to second or third place walk away empty handed.

• Love 16

Disappointed in the result.  The judges low balled Eva's scores in round one which I suspect was pre-determined.  Nevertheless, in terms of a career, Eva really was the winner.  I'll bet that there are a ton of big time studios and choreographers who can't wait to work with this kid. She's awesome at 14 years old so imagine what she'll be at 18.  I just hope that her mother is wise enough to keep Eva away from any more reality TV shows except for maybe SYTYCD if it's still on the air when she meets the age requirement (highly doubtful given its ratings performance in recent seasons).

• Love 5

I liked that the 3 finalists were all different dance styles - but I still don't think Les Twins should've beaten Keone & Mari. I've liked Les Twins since the beginning, but I don't think they beat Keone & Mari last week and I feel like Eva beat everyone this week. 

I'm still amazed at how fast Swing Latino moves, but kinda feel like the break-neck speed is meant to cover mistakes & being out of sync. Which is fine, that's their thing - I enjoyed watching them and the tricks were pretty death-defying. 

I also feel like a million $$ is too much for the winner and think it should be broken up between the top 3. Overall, I still feel like the show is way too overproduced and I know Jenna Tatum is cute with a great body, but my GOD - can't you put her in some clothes larger than a handkerchief? There was one week she had on a strapless dress and it looked so uncomfortable & awkward - this week was a bit better, but still too short & tight. J-Lo is all kinds of sexy, yet her wardrobe actually allowed her to like...you know...breathe and stuff. 

Edited by Lunula
  • Love 5

My main hope was that Swing LAtino would not win so I am happy about that part. I just cannot stand to watch their frenetic cheesy Vegas-on-steroids-without-the-talent acts. We got to watch them move furniture in their second routine. Yippee.

Eva was robbed.

• Love 2

Well let's see...Oh! Les Twins won by one fraction of one hundredth of one point. Huh. Then they proceeded to screw the pooch by bragging that they 'had it from the beginning' AKA they were freaking PROMISED THE WIN in order to get them to compete but Jenna did her Jenna job and cut them the eff off before they could say anything more incriminating.

Can anyone on earth honestly say with a clear conscious that Eva Igo didn't win that? Especially the dance SHE coreographed and not that shyte the other guy had her dance to? That was brilliant. I mean DAMN. She's a giggly 12 year old in real life, giggle, say the sentence, giggle in the middle, finish the sentence, GIGGLE. But when she dances? Lord, when that child dances she's magic. She HAD IT. IT WAS HERS. She HAD IT.

And Les Twins weren't even that good. Either time. They sucked so large they left me wondering what the big deal was about them. Why everybody goo-goo for these fools? They can't even DANCE! 

Now last week, that routine with one brother in a wheelchair? Respect. That was awe-worthy.

But they shouldn't have won. That was a set-up. I hate to say it, but that was a set-up.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, hnygrl said:

Well let's see...Oh! Les Twins won by one fraction of one hundredth of one point. Huh. Then they proceeded to screw the pooch by bragging that they 'had it from the beginning' AKA they were freaking PROMISED THE WIN in order to get them to compete but Jenna did her Jenna job and cut them the eff off before they could say anything more incriminating.

Can anyone on earth honestly say with a clear conscious that Eva Igo didn't win that? Especially the dance SHE coreographed and not that shyte the other guy had her dance to? That was brilliant. I mean DAMN. She's a giggly 12 year old in real life, giggle, say the sentence, giggle in the middle, finish the sentence, GIGGLE. But when she dances? Lord, when that child dances she's magic. She HAD IT. IT WAS HERS. She HAD IT.

And Les Twins weren't even that good. Either time. They sucked so large they left me wondering what the big deal was about them. Why everybody goo-goo for these fools? They can't even DANCE! 

Now last week, that routine with one brother in a wheelchair? Respect. That was awe-worthy.

But they shouldn't have won. That was a set-up. I hate to say it, but that was a set-up.

I've felt from the beginnIng they were the chosen ones especially after fikshin was low balled.

• Love 1

Right?????

And Fikshun wears his heart on his face. You could TELL by the look(s) on his face that he KNEW he was wasting his time. When he got "low scores" he wasn't even surprised, upset, anything but disgusted. He could NOT hide the disgust. 

• Love 5

Foop!  It's less about "Eva was robbed" and more "Les Twins won because of that dance?"  When you take a song like Scream known for the ridiculously great dance break, either you come up with something that tops it or you're just wasting time and energy.  They fell into the latter. 

I can't deal with sob stories so I did zone out over Eva, but she still has so many things ahead of her.  She'll be a star within the decade. 

• Love 3

You know, I absolutely hated every fucking wasted second of the show part of this show, ALL SEASON.  Whoever is responsible for the narrative and the design and the staging is an asshole untalented hack, but I really really enjoyed 97% of the dancing on that last show.  It was just enjoyable.  I would have given Eva the win, but I'm not feeling mean spirited about it.

The show was so badly written.  Gack.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, hnygrl said:

I was wondering what he was talking about because they didn't "have it from the beginning" to begin with and then there was the injury and the wheelchair "dance."

• Love 2

I knew when Les Twins beat Keone and Mari while injured that they were going to be the winners, but I still pulled my Bluetooth headphone out of my ear and threw it across the room after their super sloppy 2nd performance. The judge's choice for Eva's first song seemed designed to hamstring her score. A lot of the eliminations seemed fated, but I was not expecting to be quite so let down. Why would I invest in a second season when the winner is so obviously pre-determined?

ETA I thought it was a pretty low blow that after Eva danced flawlessly to a Sia song, they then played another Sia song over Les Twins win celebration. No need to rub it in, show. Damn. Cold blooded. 

Edited by Delwyn
  • Love 4

Eva is a good dancer but she should stop with the leg spins. She falls out of them. Larkin Dance is proud of her. They're an an amazing dance studio. I hate how JLO and Neyo are on here. They're not dancers. 

I agree, Les Twins were completely out of sync, by at least half a beat for more than half the routine.  In fact it was so obvious, I found myself watching to see if they would get back in sync, and wasn't even watching the actual dancing or choreography.  Eva was robbed.

And, even though Conga is one of my favorite songs, when Derrick chose it I just groaned.  

• Love 2

And, even though Conga is one of my favorite songs, when Derrick chose it I just groaned.  

I know.  Very trite.  I didn't like the fact that Les Twins didn't go over and hug Eva.  They should have done it right away, or at least at the end.  They made some comment shouted across the stage to her, that's all (from what I could see)  They were way over scored. Every time I see Swing Latino dance I think the cameraman pressed the Fast Forward button by mistake.  Also, one day someone will literally break their neck doing on of their throw a person 40 feet across the floor backwards moves.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 3

I too was glad Swing Latino did not win. I don't know a lot about dance (took gymnastics over dance in high school because,TRAMPOLINE!) but I don't think the girls have very good position or lines when flying through the air. They look really sloppy, like rag dolls.

I also would have liked to see Eva win. Beautiful dancer! She will go far.

I still think it was a bad call to give the win to Les Twins in the wheelchair routine over Keone and Mari. Some of their earlier routines though were my favorites.

The win at the end seemed very low key and anticlimactic. Le Twins had to add their own confetti.

I would think all the dancers got paid something for being on the show. Perhaps more the longer they stayed in the competition. If Swing Latino had won they would have had to split the million dollars I believe 16 ways.

BTW there was a beautiful dance on SYTYCD years ago featuring a dancer in a wheelchair, by AXIS:

• Love 2

What a farce of a competition. No way the winner wasn't predetermined once Les Twins Horribles entered as contestants. I really don't see what all the hoo-ha is about them. They're above average dancers who recycle a few trite tricks and cannot seem to ever be quite in synch. What a shame for poor Eva. Nevertheless, I see her going far in a career.

Very disappointed in NBC and Jennifer Lopez's unabashed biasedness for the group that had a bit of fame prior to this show. I don't think I can stomach another season of this show with its overproduction, inane judging (despite a scoring rubric that should keep things fair) and overall disregard for actual talent (i.e. Keone and Mari, Kinjas).

• Love 5

Why did everyone pronounces Les Twins (lay twins) le twins (luh twins)?  The part where they were dancing seperately in their own mirror set-up was egregious.  It was IMPOSSIBLE to watch both of them at once, which I assume was the intent.

• Love 2