Type keyword(s) to search

World Of Dance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The first episode is scheduled to air on May 30th (it got pushed back from the original May 8th premiere date for some reason). If you are familiar with other dance competition shows, you will see some familiar faces! Fik-Shun (SYTYCD S10 winner), Keone & Mari (SYTYCD choreographers, Jabbawockeez (ABDC S1 winners), and Super Cr3w (ABDC S2 winners) are all competing. Other competitors include Les Twins and The Lab. You can see the full list of who will be on the show here.

There are three divisions: junior (age 17 and under), upper (18 and over, up to 4 dancers), and team (18 and over, 5 or more dancers)

Promo:

The Jennifer Lopez dance challenge for World of Dance - learn this very short and simple choreography and tag it with #worldofdancechallenge

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The first episode is scheduled to air on May 30th (it got pushed back from the original May 8th premiere date for some reason). If you are familiar with other dance competition shows, you will see some familiar faces! Fik-Shun (SYTYCD S10 winner), Keone & Mari (SYTYCD choreographers, Jabbawockeez (ABDC S1 winners), and Super Cr3w (ABDC S2 winners) are all competing. Other competitors include Les Twins and The Lab. You can see the full list of who will be on the show here.

There are three divisions: junior (age 17 and under), upper (18 and over, up to 4 dancers), and team (18 and over, 5 or more dancers)

I thought I had seen Les Twins in an ad for the show. I love them, as well as many of the groups that you mentioned above. I follow WOD online, and am really looking forward to the show. Please show--be good!

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, hula-la said:

I thought I had seen Les Twins in an ad for the show. I love them, as well as many of the groups that you mentioned above. I follow WOD online, and am really looking forward to the show. Please show--be good!

Yay, I'm glad I won't be the only one watching! I'm really excited about seeing some professional level dancing. I wonder how they're going to do eliminations to get to the winner. I am afraid that they're going to just pick one act from each of the three groups to go to the finale.

• Love 1

In "The Qualifiers" round 1, the world's elite dance acts from all ages and dance genres enter the "World Of Dance" arena to face off in the challenge of a lifetime. The acts have one chance to showcase their artistry, precision and athleticism in order to move forward in the competition and ultimately win a grand prize of $1 million.

(edited)

Kinjaz performance on World of Dance:

Meet the competitor: Diana Pombo

You may recognize Diana from SYTYCD: TNG:

Meet the competitor: Les Twins

You may remember Les Twin from their SYTYCD performance (or one of their MANY other performances!):

Move of the week: Keone & Mari (who you may also remember as SYTYCD choreographers - I was going to post a link to their Stay with Me routine, but all the videos I found on youtube had the song removed)

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

I missed the first ten minutes, but will catch it later.  It is a pretty weird show with odd energy.  I like that the judges scores are not 1-10 (or worse 4-10 like DWTS) but I'd like to see them in detail.  

On 5/26/2017 at 3:24 PM, luckyroll3 said:

Why isn't Jenna judging, as opposed to Ne-yo?

That's my question.  I mean Ne-Yo is a solid performer (and his music work on Empire this season was great stuff) but I still don't know what dancing skills he has to offer. 

But forget that, and forget that Jabbas already won a dance show.  I adore this crew and when I met them way back in 2009 they were the NICEST people!  So I am rooting for them all the way.

• Love 1

Dancing is good but like all the other reality shows....it's so over produced.  With the music, tears, Jenna Dewan banter with the contestants and looking on all emotional.  It's all recycled stuff.  At least they don't show a lot of fake audience reaction though.

• Love 12

Nice to see Kinjaz again. Definitely going to have some representation from MTV's dearly departed America's Best Dance Crew.

The Salsa duo (and their choreographer/dad) are veteran's of America's Got Talent. Last girl is an alum of SYTYCD's Next Generation. Reality dance cross-pollination is dialed up to 11 lol.

I will laugh mirthfully if in the so called "World of Dance" the only styles advanced to the next round are contemporary, hip-hop, and either latin or standard ballroom. They quickly kicked the cloggers to the curb. If we get nothing from Tap, or African, or Irish Step, or Bollywood or some other Indigenous styles.....the lack of diversity should be glaring.

• Love 5

I thought the junior ballroom dancers were a little sloppy in some of their connections with each other although their tricks were stunning.  

Also, I watch a lot of dance shows, so one thing that just irritates the bejaysus outta me is when someone has fantabulous extension in one leg, so s/he uses THAT ONE LEG all the time.  "Passionate" junior contemporary chick, I'm looking at you.  Otherwise she was really good, although the precious crap with Lopez was OTT.

One group didn't make it?  Only one?  And how do people try out for this show really?

Derek was showboating, yes, but Ne Yo was effing annoying.  When I prefer Derek Hough talking to somebody else talking, it's not a good sign.

Kinjaz were great.  But I expected them to be.

When Les Twins are in sync, they are incredible.  The husband and wife team was very cute, but essentially not as memorable as they needed to be.  

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

Dancing is good but like all the other reality shows....it's so over produced.  With the music, tears, Jenna Dewan banter with the contestants and looking on all emotional.  It's all recycled stuff.  At least they don't show a lot of fake audience reaction though.

Everything about it felt like a third hour of America's Got Talent.  The stage was different yet felt the same. I think they used the same soundtrack as AGT.  Jenna talking off stage with the contestants like the AGT host does with the acts there. 

I did like the judges but none of the dancers really made me feel like I was watching something exceptional even if they were talented.  It's a passable way to spend the hour but I'm not invested yet.  Perhaps when they get into later rounds it'll be more interesting.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I will laugh mirthfully if in the so called "World of Dance" the only styles advanced to the next round are contemporary, hip-hop, and either latin or standard ballroom. They quickly kicked the cloggers to the curb. If we get nothing from Tap, or African, or Irish Step, or Bollywood or some other Indigenous styles.....the lack of diversity should be glaring.

In the media thread, there's a link with a list of all the participants and their dance styles. Based on the sheer numbers, it's a pretty safe bet that we'll be seeing hip hop and contemporary in the finale (or whatever is past the qualifying rounds). The breakdown:

12 - hip hop
7 - contemporary
4 - tap
3 - ballroom
2 - ballet
2 - breakdance
2 - urban
1 - ballroom fusion
1 - bellydancing
1 - cabaret
1 - clogging
1 - dancehall/hip hop
1 - flamenco
1 - hip hop/jazz
1 - Irish step
1 - jazz
1 - jazz funk
1 - ballroom/jazz
1 - Memphis jookin
1 - popping
1 - salsa
1 - stepping

• Love 3
(edited)

Thanks for the breakdown, ElectricBoogaloo.

Sight unseen, I'm now all in for the Cabaret act, the Irish Step act (now that the cloggers are toast) and at least one of the tap acts. Maybe the bellydancer too, if it happens to be Janelle Issis from SYTYCD...

**The fact that they didn't even let one Bollywood or Bhangra style act (Jai Ho people!) audition is kind of ridiculous....even America's Got Talent has had a couple of reasonably talent Bollywood style groups take part.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

The judges didn't make me hate them, so that's good, but I don't really see what purpose Jenna Dewan serves.

I was surprised to see Super Cr3w, I remember them from America's Best Dance Crew.

Too bad the cloggers didn't make it to the next round, they were something different. I'm worried we're going to be seeing all the same kind of dance, like So You Think You Can Dance is all jazz/modern. I would love to see some classically trained ballerinas.

I’m on the fence about the show.  First impression is that I will DVR it and fast forward through the judges’ useless banter and just watch the dancing.  I had high hopes for this show prior to finding out SYTYCD is returning with adult dancers (YAY!) and thought this would be my dance fix.  Ironically enough this show is supposed to be about the dancers but I kept feeling it was more about the judges.  Maybe they spent a lot of time on them to make sure the audience understood the voting process.  But I just didn’t find their “critiques” useful or anything beyond “you are amazing, you are incredible” so it was too much filler, for me.  Looking at the clips it looks like there is going to be more to the show than was depicted in the first episode, I hope it does because if not I plan to DVR and just watch the performances.   

10 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Dancing is good but like all the other reality shows....it's so over produced.  With the music, tears, Jenna Dewan banter with the contestants and looking on all emotional.

I was out after 10 minutes because of it. I'm not hyped up or excited by the lights! music! crowd! spectacle! I'm annoyed.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In the media thread, there's a link with a list of all the participants and their dance styles. Based on the sheer numbers, it's a pretty safe bet that we'll be seeing hip hop and contemporary in the finale (or whatever is past the qualifying rounds). The breakdown:

12 - hip hop
7 - contemporary
4 - tap
3 - ballroom
2 - ballet
2 - breakdance
2 - urban
1 - ballroom fusion
1 - bellydancing
1 - cabaret
1 - clogging
1 - dancehall/hip hop
1 - flamenco
1 - hip hop/jazz
1 - Irish step
1 - jazz
1 - jazz funk
1 - ballroom/jazz
1 - Memphis jookin
1 - popping
1 - salsa
1 - stepping

I've been following WOD online for a few years, and their main focus is hiphop styles, with some contemporary, so I'm not surprised that those styles will feature heavily on this show. While I'm a huge fan of dance in (most of) its many forms, and wish that there would be a proper TV platform that would highlight as many as possible, my worry is what they would showcase out of the different styles. I remember the year that SYTYCD had their contestants do a Tahitian dance (I can't remember what season). As a Polynesian dancer, I could tell that they weren't that good, but the judges didn't know that. How could they--they don't have a background in that dance style.  In this case, they were just excited that the female dancer could move her hips. To me, that's just focusing on the stereotype that is Polynesian dance, and not recognizing that there's technique and fundamentals for every style of dance.

What I'd also love to see is some older dancers. By older, I mean 40+, 50+, 60+ in age. Yes, they probably can't get their legs up past their ears anymore, but there's something else that they bring to the stage that can only come with age, like this video of Toni Basil, at 72: 

• Love 5

After reading here, I guess I'm in the minority. I thought the judges were fine, and comments held to a minimum, unlike the endless showboating and blather of the DWTS judges whom I cannot stand. I liked the judging system being anyone above 80 points gets to stay. The only act I did NOT like was the Kinjaz group. I said "boring" to my tv set multiple times while they were performing. I would have def kept the cloggers, those guys were fun, and put Kinjaz on the road home. I also didn't care for the ADHD camera work, plus multiple cuts to the judges while dancers were performing. When the ballroom girl did a backbend all the way to the floor, I thought, wow, how is she going to get up from that. For all I know the stage crew came out to pick her up since cameras cut to the judges, and when we got to see the dancers again, she was fully upright again. I also was suprised I didn't hate Derek Hough ... who knew that would ever happen! I enjoyed this first episode, although it's disappointing to know (thanks ElectricBugaloo) that the show will be so heavy on hip hop and contemporary. I've seen enough contemporary to last a lifetime on SYTYCD and now DWTS.

• Love 3

If they were going to pull in a SYTYCD junior, I'd rather it were Tate McRae, she at least has the maturity to have a shot against the older dancers.

Because they have a fixed score as the cut-off line, all the fancy scoring is just a gimmick. It might as well be thumbs up or thumbs down, unless they are carrying scores forward (I don't think they are).

• Love 1

Also, I watch a lot of dance shows, so one thing that just irritates the bejaysus outta me is when someone has fantabulous extension in one leg, so s/he uses THAT ONE LEG all the time.

THIS!

I also didn't care for the ADHD camera work, plus multiple cuts to the judges while dancers were performing.

THIS X 1000

• Love 3

I agree that it was too much production and the junior contemporary girl kept using the same leg to show flexibility.  I said the same thing to my daughter as we were watching.  I did like that they were judged on five areas like a lot of other dance competitions.  But I would have liked to see the breakdown and not just the final score.

• Love 2

Well, I loved this show and was so surprised that I did.  All the dancers were terrific and I loved every single minute.  Yeah, I would like older dancers as well, but this is fine.  Miss Lopez you can do no wrong in my book.  The married couple were my favorite. Check them out on youtube, they are fabulous. 

• Love 2

I miss the early years of So You Think You Can Dance.  Before they started tailoring everything towards who they wanted to win.  I felt like I was watching raw, wonderful dancing and unexpected moments that had me gasping.  This is so overdone. The stage is too glitzy, too many lights and it's too much about the judges and the "stories".  I guess I can just be happy I did get to see those early seasons of SYTYCD.  Anyway, back on topic to World of Dance, I too recognized the girl from the Junior version of SYTYCD and the ballroom kids.  I liked the Twins but mainly I just felt meh.  I'll probably record and just FF to the dances.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

I’m on the fence about the show.  First impression is that I will DVR it and fast forward through the judges’ useless banter and just watch the dancing. 

I tried this with SYTYCD, but even with the FFing, Mary Murphy drove me away. If this show starts to feel like SYTYCD, I'm done.

23 minutes ago, Brynnjk said:

I miss the early years of So You Think You Can Dance.  Before they started tailoring everything towards who they wanted to win.  I felt like I was watching raw, wonderful dancing and unexpected moments that had me gasping.  This is so overdone. The stage is too glitzy, too many lights and it's too much about the judges and the "stories".  I guess I can just be happy I did get to see those early seasons of SYTYCD.  Anyway, back on topic to World of Dance, I too recognized the girl from the Junior version of SYTYCD and the ballroom kids.  I liked the Twins but mainly I just felt meh.  I'll probably record and just FF to the dances.

That's what I like about the early seasons of SYTYCD too.  It was nice to get surprises like Alex Wong being really good at hip-hop.  I also like watching new talent.  Almost everyone on this show is already popular.  The ballroom kids have already done other reality shows.  Besides America's Got Talent, they won Paula's Live To Dance.  Amanda was also on the first season of Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition.  The crews have appeared on ABDC, have shows, or are very popular on youtube.  The married couple are choreographers for SYTYCD.  You can see Fik-shun.  The list goes on when I look at who's going to be on the show.  So it feels strange when they say that this show can change their future when they've already been on other shows.  For this episode, the only team I didn't recognize were the cloggers who were probably chosen for fodder so they can show a different style and somebody getting eliminated.

• Love 4

So if I understand, it's 5 categories total of 1-20 points per category.  So technically , if a judge likes a dancer they can just give them 16 points in all categories then they get to 80 automatically and don't even have to think about anything.

I also thought the girl was weaker in the jr ballroom team . I think that was what Derek was trying to say in his own Derek way.

(edited)
46 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

I have never watched SYTYCD so let me ask a question guys, will the dancers all try to do different dances on this new show? 

I don't think so. This is about watching good dancers do more of what they do and bringing new wow factors to the mix. There's not watching the kids grow and be challenged, which is what I have always liked about SYTYCD and ABDC. No matter who I rooted for in a given season, I'm always glad to see where they pop up over the years. These guys are known quantities to many of us, so there's no winning over our hearts if they aren't already won over.

In other words, these are showcases. I'm glad the kids are doing well, and taking advantage of a little extra PR. If I could, I'd sure be willing to put myself out there for $1 million!!  

Edited by Mason

The judges were the weak sisters in this show.

They just plain talk too much! I was watching Hoarders when the judges were talking, and sadly, once I forgot to switch back until the commercial break and THEY WERE STILL TALKING ABOUT THE SAME ACT! I don't know...this show has some real world, proven talent ( Jabberwokeez, Fik-shun, The SYTYCD Choreographers, Les Twins, etc. ) but it's just so slow and too frenetic at the same time. Too much production/behind the scenes crap and not enough actual dancing.

I didn't like the kids salsa (or whatever the Hell they were doing) dancing. No passion, no emotion, nothing. They weren't even smiling. You could almost hear the girl saying, "five, six, seven, eight, and BEND, and BEND, to the FLOOR, six seven eight..." I was surprised they got put through. They weren't very good.

And I quite enjoyed the cloggers. I was offended that they didn't get through but the shitty kid dancers did.  I'm sorry y'll but Les Twins were boring. Over-hyped to the point that you KNOW they goin' through no matter WHAT they do cause...LES TWINS Y'ALL!!! COME ON! BEYONCE!!!! To me they were kinda dull and phoning it in.

I didn't "hate" the show, but I don't know how I'm going to make it THROUGH the show if it continues to be about the judges and not the dancers. These 10 minute critique sessions are killing me. They either need this to be a 2 hour twice a week show or cut down on the critiquing time to "you have 60 seconds...GO!"

I don't see me lasting the whole season...too much crammed into too short a period of time. And only once a week? Really? 

• Love 4
(edited)

I hoped to have another dance show to enjoy alongside SYTYCD. Unfortunately, I'm not impressed so far; I found the over-the-top spectacle quality of the set design kind of distracting, and the judge reaction shots even moreso (I'm so sure their horror at the comic swing-dance-gone-awry opening of Keone and Mari's routine was genuine; if that horror was genuine, that's just embarrassing).

But more than that, I've been reminded, like others, that it's a little more fun and rewarding to watch dancers as they uncover unexpected talents or demonstrate great range. Similarly, I think it's easier to root for dancers when they need the big break, which the vast majority of talents who get put through on here will not. Even the most connected competitors on SYTYCD are typically not already backup dancers for global powerhouses, not already winners of other big TV dance competitions, don't already have Vegas residencies, aren't already choreographers for TV shows and pop stars. And being fairly burned out on hip hop and contemporary -- I've been a fan of Keone and Mari's hip hop for awhile, but the breaking that generates more excitement on these shows isn't my favorite style -- and knowing how little traditional ballroom, let alone the more diverse cultural styles, will be showing up here, it's tough to be too excited at what's in store overall.

I do like that the judges are working within a sort of components scoring system, but without detailed criteria and protocols in front of us (as a figure skating fan, I'd say even with...), I'm also hard-pressed to assume they're not just scoring by taste above all.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Love 2

If this show survives to a second season - they should just skip whatever these qualifiers are supposed to be and go straight to head-to-head.  That idea is actually an interesting one and would be more interesting than a 'qualifier' where only 1 of 7 was axed.  Let's face it - all of these acts have already made it in dance world terms because they (except maybe for the kids) have jobs which pay the bills!  That's why they had to offer a million as the prize to get them to compete in the first place.

Kinjaz - I've seen better from them but whoever is arranging the eventual Kinjaz vs. Jaberwokeez dance-off read my Christmas list.

Contemporary girl - not bad, but words can not express just how much I hate the 'look how flexible I am' combined with 'contemporary = flailing and crying' choreo.  It is all the worst of 'junior girl competitive solo'  in one package.  Most eleven year olds just don't have the maturity yet to convey serious emotion and it comes across as faking.

Married couple - they were my only real surprise and the connection they have with each other gave me warm fuzzies

Les Twins - I knew they'd really have to screw up not to make it in from teh start, but I liked their routine.  

• Love 4

I loved Les Twins. The dances were very good, I just wasn't feeling it. I'm going to give it another try, because I really like they don't spend time on the big sob stories. I'm not a J' lo fan, but I'll put up with her,  to see Derek( nice hip action Derek) 

I heard Fik- Shun was going to be on, I have to see him, so for now it's on my DVR.

(edited)

Since everyone keeps asking about who we will see, I am bringing this over from the media thread:

On 5/16/2017 at 0:18 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If you are familiar with other dance competition shows, you will see some familiar faces! Fik-Shun (SYTYCD S10 winner), Keone & Mari (SYTYCD choreographers, Jabbawockeez (ABDC S1 winners), and Super Cr3w (ABDC S2 winners) are all competing. Other competitors include Les Twins and The Lab. You can see the full list of who will be on the show here.

Full list of contestants:

Junior Division:
801 Squad, Ballroom/Jazz group from Oren, UT
Alaman, Tapper from Los Angeles, CA
Boys of Temecula, Jazz group from Temecula, CA
D’Angelo & Amanda, Ballroom dancers from Miami, FL
Diana Pombo, Contemporary dancer from Miami, FL
Eva Igo, Contemporary dancer from Inver Grove Heights, MN
ImmaBEAST, 12-member Hip Hop group from Los Angeles, CA
JJ & Joey, Hip Hop duo from Johnson, RI
Kaeli and Brandon, Ballet duo from Ashburn, VA
KynTay, Hip Hop duo from Memphis, TN
Mini Request, Hip Hop dance crew from New Zealand
The Lab, ten-member Hip Hop dance crew from Los Angeles, CA
The Maya Boys, Breakdance group from Phoenix, AZ
The Mihacevich Sisters, Contemporary dancers from Brunswick, OH
The Posse, Contemporary dancers from San Jose, CA

Upper Division:
Al Taw’am, Hip Hop dancer from Twin Cities, MN
DNA, Ballroom dancers from New York, NY
Femme Fatale, Popping dancers from Los Angeles, CA
Fik-shun, Hip Hop dancer from Las Vegas, NV
Keone & Mari, Urban Dance duo from San Diego, CA
Kings Unite, Hip Hop dancers from Los Angeles, CA
Kyle Van Newkirk, Tap dancer from Morrill, NE
Les Twins, twin Hip Hop duo from Paris, France
Luka and Jenalyn, Cabaret Ballroom dancers from Toronto, Canada
Nick Daniels, Contemporary dancer from Miami, FL
Pasión, Flamenco dancer from Santa Barbara, CA
Quick Style, Hip Hop group from Oslo, Noway
Slawek and Juliet, Ballet duo from Phoenix, AZ
The Nitty Grittyz, Tap group from Los Angeles, CA
Trent Jeray, Memphis Jookin dancer from Memphis, TN
Vibration, Belly dancer from Miami, FL

Team Division:
Chapkis Dance Family, Hip Hop group from Bay Area, CA
Fuze, Ballroom Fusion dancers from Los Angeles, CA
Ian Eastwood and The Young Lions, seven-member Jazz Funk group from Los Angeles, CA
JabbaWockeeZ, nine-member Hip Hop group from Sacramento, CA
Kinjaz, 13-member Urban Dance group from Los Angeles, CA
Miami All Stars, Ballroom dancers from Miami, FL
NXT LVL, Clogging dancers from Myrtle Beach, SC
P.L.A.Y., Contemporary dance group from New York, NY
Prodijig, Irish Step group from Cork, Ireland
Rhythmatic, Tap group from New York, NY
Rouge, Hip Hop/Jazz dancers from Los Angeles, CA
Royal Flux, Contemporary dancers from Los Angeles, CA
Stroll Groove, Stepping dancers from Los Angeles, CA
Super Cr3w, Break-dancers from Las Vegas, NV
Swing Latino, 16-member Salsa group from Cali, Colombia
The Kingdom, Dancehall/Hip Hop group from Los Angeles, CA

• Love 1

World of Dance has posted some of the performances from this week's episode which means you can watch the routines and skip the judges' comments!

FYI - I noticed that the World of Dance youtube channel is doing the same thing that the CW channel does, which is deleting/hiding their own videos so I don't know how long these will be up.

Keone & Mari:

Les Twins:

Super Cr3w:

Kinjaz:

D'Angelo and Amanda:

Diana Pombo:

• Love 1
(edited)

Although I like having an appreciative and enthusiastic audience, I felt like they were just applauding for no damn reason a lot of the time.

I watch dance shows to see dancing. I do not watch dance shows to see the judges making comments to each other during the performances.

• Love 3

I am not a big fan of Les Twins in general - their hype exceeds the reality all three or four times I have seen them on tv.  BUT, when they are in sync, they are so much MORE in sync than other dancers.  The effect really is astonishing.  Also, to me, they looked a little odd while talking, but super hot while dancing, so that was enjoyable.

I actually enjoyed the dancing...nice to see some ABDC groups...but I felt it was over produced and i am over the judges already.  I think J-Lo has in her contract that they show her reactions to the dancers while the routine is going on since the camera panned to her all the time.  This sucks for viewers who want to see the dancers.  Don't care about how J-Lo reacts.  Blech.  Anyway, I fast forward through most of the nonsense and watch the dance routines. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed the show, but had to fast forward through all the judges comments. It's really annoying though how the camera keeps panning to the judges during the day. I want to see the dancers, not the judges!

And admittedly I'm already biased towards the Kinjaz because I watch their online videos all the time, but I thought they were the best of the night. 

And whoever mentioned Kinjaz vs. Jabawockeez showdown, I would be so down for that. 

• Love 2
Spoiler

That's 48 entrants, right?  With WoD going for 10 one-hour episodes, and only showing 7 entries this week, I wonder how and when they're going to get through all these to come up with the qualifiers, followed by battle rounds, semifinals and a finale.  It seems that it will all get quite rushed towards its conclusion.

At any rate, I enjoyed seeing some really good dancers.  I didn't enjoy the time spent on the judge's comments, and especially the camera cutting to the judges during the dancers' performances.  The judges' comments were entirely useless, of the JLo meaningless American Idol variety "that was amazing!" 

I'm in for at least another few weeks; but, with a $1million prize and professional-level dancers,  I really had hopes that this show would be incredible. 

(edited)
On 5/31/2017 at 6:42 AM, NYCNJbear06 said:

First impression is that I will DVR it and fast forward through the judges’ useless banter and just watch the dancing.  

+1

I just really do not care about hearing the judges. Or, for that matter, the backstage host lady. She adds zero entertainment value.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:55 AM, hula-la said:

...like this video of Toni Basil, at 72: 

Toni  Basil is 72????? Micky is a senior citizen. Holy...My brain cannot absorb that information.

On 5/31/2017 at 0:09 PM, Brynnjk said:

This is so overdone. The stage is too glitzy, too many lights...

Yesssss. I'm sure they spent a lot of money on those background visuals, which did nothing but distract and detract from the performances.

On 5/31/2017 at 3:50 PM, hnygrl said:

And I quite enjoyed the cloggers. I was offended that they didn't get through but the shitty kid dancers did.  

Ah the pride or myrtle beach, sc. We hardly knew ye...is it me or did they cut out the beginning of the cloggers' dance?

But let's be real, there was never any chance of cloggers winning this thing. Clogging is still widely seen as dorky and uncool. Don't feel bad, cloggers. No chance the ballet dancers will win either.

On 5/31/2017 at 5:03 PM, lavenderblue said:

I do like that the judges are working within a sort of components scoring system, but without detailed criteria and protocols in front of us

They sure are proud of that scoring system. We didn't see nearly enough of that. Gosh I hope every week includes all that fascinating footage of everyone's index finger swiping right.

13 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I am not a big fan of Les Twins in general - their hype exceeds the reality all three or four times I have seen them on tv.  BUT, when they are in sync, they are so much MORE in sync than other dancers.  The effect really is astonishing.  Also, to me, they looked a little odd while talking, but super hot while dancing, so that was enjoyable.

This. All of this. But kinjas were better, I thought. I liked them best out of everyone.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 4