Type keyword(s) to search

Asteroid Alert!: Salvation in the Media

From http://www.tvguide.com/news/salvation-trailer-cbs-asteroids/

As if you needed another ominous bit of a apocalyptic drama to concern yourselves with this year, Earth-shattering asteroids are back in the entertainment sphere again.

CBS' first teaser for Salvation is here, and the first-look trailer for the new summer series follows an MIT student named Liam Cole (Charlie Rowe) and a tech billionaire named Darius Tanz (Santiago Cabrera), who discover that an asteroid is six months away from colliding with Earth. They turn their info over to the Pentagon in hopes of launching a salvation -- hence the title! -- project that might steer the deadly rock away and save the planet. 

If the plot sounds familiar, well, there was a spate of asteroid movies in the late '90s -- chief among them, Armageddon and Deep Impact -- but this series will offer a twist. A character named Jillian (Jacqueline Byers) will be tapped to lead up a think tank for how to save the planet from such a disaster, not knowing that what they're working on is a real solution to a very real problem.

• Love 1
(edited)

With the premiere just a couple of weeks away, CBS now has a bunch of teaser trailers available to view on their website: http://www.cbs.com/shows/salvation/

And in the last day or two, Santiago Cabrera has been hitting the publicity trail, giving interviews to a whole stack of news agencies:
http://www.cbs8.com/story/35753316/getting-to-know-santiago-cabrera-star-of-new-suspense-thriller-salvation
http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2017/06/26/santiago-cabrera-salvation-cbs/#.WVF_BsBCDsU.twitter

And so on - I'd be here all day if I tried to link them all!

I'm actually really looking forward to it. I just hope it's as good as they make it sound! Should be a lot of fun, if nothing else.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Llywela said:

EW.com has the first 15 minutes of episode one available to preview - looking good so far!

Thanks, @Llywela! (Welsh?) 

FYI, on my iPad 1, I needed to use the (free version) Puffin browser—which I usually only use when Flash is required. In this case, the video just kept crashing on Safari.

Anyway, I agree, it looks good.

I especially appreciated that the bicycle evaded the car for all the right physics reasons. On the last season of Major Crimes they had a car run down a cyclist for no other apparent reason than that the cyclist never went off of the road; it totally ruined my suspension of disbelief for the rest of the episode.

Neal deGrasse Tyson seemed like he was talking about a real bit of news. He wasn't, was he? Heh.

Even the love-at-first-sight was believeable.

• Love 2

It seems like a marketing misstep/search engine discovery error to have the title logo (S∧LV∧TION) include characters that keyboards can't replicate (unlike Numb3rs) which leaves the title as a single, common term (Salvation) that won't pull up online info and reviews about the show until if/when it gains pop culture status.

• Love 1
On 08/07/2017 at 5:21 AM, shapeshifter said:

Thanks, @Llywela! (Welsh?)

Ooh, I overlooked this question. Yes, Welsh. :) On completely the wrong side of the Atlantic for this show! But there are ways and means.

Since this is the media thread, let me offer up some links to remain on topic - the pilot episode has seen mixed reviews: some very good, some very bad, and some ambivalent. Here are a few:

USA Today
Variety
Forbes

• Love 1
(edited)

Tomorrow's Science Friday with Ira Flato on NPR is going to include discussion of NASA's plans to deal with deadly asteroids. If you don't catch it on radio, the episode should appear here shortly: https://www.sciencefriday.com/episodes/

ETA: The gist of the NASA guy's story was that the only threatening asteroids are not the "size of Texas," but are smaller, and the plan is to hit the asteroid with a spacecraft and either slow it down enough to allow earth to cross the asteroid's path before the asteroid reaches that point, or to speed up the asteroid so it crosses earth's path befor earth gets to that point.

The TV show a Salvation was not on their radar, so to speak.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Has anyone said whether this is designed to be a one season show? If it goes more than one season, would they stretch the 160-odd days out forever, or "discover" a new threat?

29 minutes ago, Driad said:

Has anyone said whether this is designed to be a one season show? If it goes more than one season, would they stretch the 160-odd days out forever, or "discover" a new threat?

I don't foresee it getting renewed, but if I did, it seems they'd either have to 1) shoot something at the asteroid that changed its course but not enough to prevent disaster but would extend the impact date further into the future, or 2) have people escape in shuttles and go with a BSG type of scenario moving forward. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Driad said:

The initial plan is for one season, which deals with the asteroid, however the writers have said that they do have a plan for continuing the story for a couple more seasons if renewed - the asteroid would be dealt with, but the continuing storyline would be about the aftermath for these characters: counting the cost and paying the price of salvation.

• Love 2
On 7/24/2017 at 4:09 PM, Llywela said:

The initial plan is for one season, which deals with the asteroid, however the writers have said that they do have a plan for continuing the story for a couple more seasons if renewed - the asteroid would be dealt with, but the continuing storyline would be about the aftermath for these characters: counting the cost and paying the price of salvation.

Hopefully that means either some large portion of the Earth is destroyed or they escape to Mars, and future seasons are not about the characters dealing with the personal, legal, political, and social repurcussions of saving the entire world. Because those are easily the four most boring parts of the show right now, while the actual plot is sort of fun and intriguing. More plot, less drama.

Hm. Interesting interview with showrunners Kruger & Shapiro - here.

Explains a lot about how unstructured a lot of the twists and turns felt as the season progressed - they really were just making it up as they went along, rather than having the plot all planned out in advance.

Damn, Salvation found salvation, huh?  Although, depending on Zoo's fate, maybe CBS is just contractually obligated to have at least one dumb sci-fish show in their summer season.

Glad for everyone involved, but I'm wondering about Ian Anthony Dale since he's suppose to be a regular on Hawaii 5-0 now, I think.  Will he able to do both?

Other then that, off to campaign (not really) to get Mark Moses upgraded to a regular as Daddy Badass CIA Agent Duck Phillips!

• Love 2

Wait, what?

I lament all the far better genre shows which got cancelled after only one season. Also, I know better now (especially after reading that interview by the writers!), so I won't even attempt to watch season 2. I'm just glad for the cast and crew, it's good they still have jobs.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, MostlyC said:

seriously?

My exact reaction too.

2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm wondering about Ian Anthony Dale since he's suppose to be a regular on Hawaii 5-0 now, I think.  Will he able to do both?

Hawaii 5-0 still shoots on location, right? Must be different shooting schedules since Salvation is summer and 5-0 is fall. He's not the lead in either, so even though he may be required to hang out on set full time, the two roles would have about the same number of lines to learn as one lead role.
It could be fun if Hawaii 5-0 writers give Ian Anthony Dale and Jorge Garcia (Hawaii 5-0 comic relief conspiracy theorist) an exchange like, "Any news on if that asteroid is going to hit?" "Not until at least next summer" (or maybe, "They cancelled it"). I don't watch 5-0 regularly, but I'd hope I'd read about it if they did make an asteroid or apocalypse reference so I could catch that episode.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

YAAAAAAASSS!!! This show is ridiculous and I cannot believe it actually got renewed but I'm so happy! Snarking with you guys about it is more fun than the show itself. But, more importantly, we're guaranteed another summer with Santiago Cabrera on our tv sets every week and that is definitely a win!

• Love 8

Count me in for both shocked and pleased that Salvation gets a chance to redeem itself next summer. Hopefully they will see what worked and what didn't.  And that JF won't be pregnant. (Not that I usually mind but I thought we deserved some really good Moscow flashbacks for putting up with the rest.)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, lora said:

I knew it!

Really? I can't figure out how it got renewed. Maybe there just wasn't much competition this year? Or maybe it was because it was relatively safe and not edgy? (Still miss BrainDead *sob*.) Regardless, if life doesn't get in the way, I'll be back too.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Really? I can't figure out how it got renewed. Maybe there just wasn't much competition this year? Or maybe it was because it was relatively safe and not edgy? (Still miss BrainDead *sob*.) Regardless, if life doesn't get in the way, I'll be back too.

I think it's also that the standards for summer "filler" shows are a lot lower than for fall/spring. Also, I don't follow Zoo or the news about it, but after three summers, I wouldn't be surprised if that show's clock has finally run out (just like Under the Dome ran two seasons longer than it deserved but did eventually get canceled), making the decision to keep Salvation easier for CBS.

I miss BrainDead too, and it's a mystery to me that it got lower ratings than the usual badly written summer crap. On the other hand, at least it got to go out on a creative high note, rather than running until long after it was creatively tapped out like so many shows have.

• Love 2

‘Salvation’ Season 2 To Introduce New Love Interests For Grace And Liam

Seriously? After so much of season one was devoted to Liam's high school passion for Jillian and Grace slowly falling for Darius, they are both going to have new romances in season two...because they are now trapped in physically different locations from their lovers and, you know, out of sight, out of mind? Because they couldn't possibly remain in love with someone while out of contact for a whole 30 days? Because none of them has anything better to do, in a time of nuclear war and imminent asteroid strike, than dither over their love lives? Sheesh.

I suppose it remains to be seen if these will actually be love interests, but I guess calling them that makes for a better headline than 'Grace and Liam get new sub-plots to keep them occupied, while physically separated from their loved ones.' I mean, I can see where being trapped underground with the brother of the woman she killed could make for an interesting ongoing problem for Grace, and I can see where Liam and Darius will need new people to interact with, having sealed pretty much the whole of the rest of the cast down in the bunker, I just don't see the need to make them 'love interests', especially having devoted so much time to the characters in question being in love already.

In other news, the show is apparently relocating from Vancouver to Toronto for season 2.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Llywela said:

‘Salvation’ Season 2 To Introduce New Love Interests For Grace And Liam

Seriously? After so much of season one was devoted to Liam's high school passion for Jillian and Grace slowly falling for Darius, they are both going to have new romances in season two...because they are now trapped in physically different locations from their lovers and, you know, out of sight, out of mind? Because they couldn't possibly remain in love with someone while out of contact for a whole 30 days? Because none of them has anything better to do, in a time of nuclear war and imminent asteroid strike, than dither over their love lives? Sheesh.

I suppose it remains to be seen if these will actually be love interests, but I guess calling them that makes for a better headline than 'Grace and Liam get new sub-plots to keep them occupied, while physically separated from their loved ones.' …

Thanks for this, @Llywela!

And from that link:

Grace’s new love interest is named Detective Alonzo. Alonzo is Claire’s (Erica Luttrell) brother who doesn’t know what really happened to his sister. As fans will remember, Grace shot Claire to death after the latter pulled a gun on Harris (Ian Anthony Dale) in the Season 1 finale.

"As fans will remember"?? Oy. Not this one. I am guessing/hoping that "as fans will remember" was typed with a bit of an eye roll and a wink.

The premise of the first season was silly but I enjoyed it. Most of my enjoyment was from the Darius/Grace team up though. This thing with Claire's brother sounds truly awful. (Mainly because Claire was awful. I have liked the actress in other roles but by the end, I wanted her gone in the worst way.)   

• Love 6

This sounds like story lines written to accommodate real life. Ian Anthony Dale is now a regular on Hawaii 50 and subject to limited availability. As new mother Jennifer Finnigan needs accommodations for nursing/pumping and probably wants a light filming schedule. Jillian is a terrible character that needs to be gone so hopefully they are using this as an opportunity to write her out of the show.

• Love 4

I don't like the actress, either. It seems she was told one too many times she reminds people of Courtney Thorne-Smith and was unsuccessfully channeling CT-S from her Melrose Place days.

Salvation Adds Jonathan Silverman for Season 2, Brings Back Taylor Cole

Okay. See, now I can see the point of introducing White House staffers, or whatever - since the president is likely to have a larger role in S2, it makes sense that there would be recurring characters among her staff. But bringing back a random bartender from S1 to become part of the government’s asteroid deflection team? What? Shouldn't they be hiring people with actual qualifications and experience for that kind of job? (And yes, sure, it's possible that the random bartender is secretly a highly qualified scientist or engineer who only moonlights as a bartender, but it seems a pretty unlikely coincidence!)

Unlike most of you folk here, I actually enjoyed much of S1 - I thought it was a lot of silly fun. But some of the press for S2 is coming across as downright weird.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sorry for double post, but it has been a few weeks - this popped up on Tovah Feldshuh's instagram - potentially spoilery, so I'll put it behind a cut.

Spoiler

Dcr3_KZW0AAPbqZ.jpg:large

A family photo after 14 hours in the oval office: one president, one usurping president, one vice president , one secretary of defense, one senior adviser to President Pauline McKenzie

I think the job titles she lists there are potentially a bit spoilery for season two. I mean, the president and usurping president are unchanged from season one, but the other three...as of the S1 finale, Harris was secretary of defence, Grace a fairly lowly press officer, and Darius not officially affiliated with the government at all, so it looks like a few promotions are going to be taking place! The senior adviser has got to be Darius, in a slightly more official capacity than he had for much of last season, but the other two are potentially quite curious. Either Harris is promoted again to vice president, with Grace stepping in as defence secretary, or Harris stays defence secretary with Grace promoted to vice president!

Is McKenzie’s circle of people she can trust so small that she can bump them both up like that? Or are they just the only ones left standing after the nukes hit? So many questions!

The writing on this show isn’t the best ever, but I am intrigued to see where the story goes from here!

Edited to add: 24 hours later, she's taken the post down - someone must have realised there were potential spoilers in what she'd written!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Llywela said:

Sorry for double post, but it has been a few weeks - this popped up on Tovah Feldshuh's instagram - potentially spoilery, so I'll put it behind a cut.

Edited to add: 24 hours later, she's taken the post down - someone must have realised there were potential spoilers in what she'd written!

Or maybe it wasn't correct and/or maybe just kidding around/teasing about how the actors relate to each other IRL on set?

24 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Or maybe it wasn't correct and/or maybe just kidding around/teasing about how the actors relate to each other IRL on set?

Let me have my fun speculation! What is this show for, if not to play around and have fun!

She's deleted the post now, which makes me suspect it did reveal slightly more than the PTB wanted revealed.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Salvation Season 2 is set to premiere on CBS Monday June 25 at 9 p.m.

Here is an article with a Trailer and a recap of some of the things that happened in Season 1.

https://us.blastingnews.com/showbiz-tv/2018/05/salvation-will-return-on-june-25-with-season-two-002592281.html

Hah! I loved this part:

‘Salvation’ has a second season

The wonder is not just that ‘Salvation’ has a second season is that it even had a first one. The show, which uses an asteroid on its way to hit the Earth as a McGuffin, contains elements of a techno-thriller, a spy adventure, a romantic drama, an inside Washington intrigue, and a common of age tale. Most TV series wait until the eighth or ninth season to jump the shark. “Salvation” not only jumped the sucker from the very start but rocketed into deep space over it. The plots were implausible, the characters strange and ridiculous, and the technology hard to believe.

And yet, strangely, the show worked. It’s very shameless excess made the thing work. “Salvation” was one of the pleasant surprises of the summer of 2017 and will, it is hope, make the long, hot summer nights of 2018 just as entertaining.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tessaray said:

Hah! I loved this part:

‘Salvation’ has a second season

The wonder is not just that ‘Salvation’ has a second season is that it even had a first one. The show, which uses an asteroid on its way to hit the Earth as a McGuffin, contains elements of a techno-thriller, a spy adventure, a romantic drama, an inside Washington intrigue, and a common of age tale. Most TV series wait until the eighth or ninth season to jump the shark. “Salvation” not only jumped the sucker from the very start but rocketed into deep space over it. The plots were implausible, the characters strange and ridiculous, and the technology hard to believe.

And yet, strangely, the show worked. It’s very shameless excess made the thing work. “Salvation” was one of the pleasant surprises of the summer of 2017 and will, it is hope, make the long, hot summer nights of 2018 just as entertaining.

I think I might appreciate the snark of the article more if it weren't so badly written - that first sentence is barely coherent. 'Common of age tale'? 'It is hope'? Does no one proof-read these days?

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I think I might appreciate the snark of the article more if it weren't so badly written - that first sentence is barely coherent. 'Common of age tale'? 'It is hope'? Does no one proof-read these days?

Perhaps the author's credentials are bogus?

Mark Whittington

Blaster since: 19.01.2016

Expert in Opinion 

Mark R. Whittington writes frequently on space, politics, and popular culture. He has been published in the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, USA Today, and the Hill. He is the author of, most recently, Why is it So Hard to Go Back to the Moon? and The Man from Mars: The Asteroid Mining Caper. as well as Dark Crusade: A Vampire Gabriella Adventure

(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Perhaps the author's credentials are bogus?

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to prove. His credentials are not relevant to my point, which was that this  particular article was clearly just dashed off without any proof-reading - the errors are right there for all to see! 

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1

It's funny, I noticed those errors and mentally attributed them to a non-native English speaker.  Not sure why.  Still, what they lacked in editing skills they made up for with enthusiasm.  It's the internet.     

• Love 1

I guess I just haven't been paying attention to tv news ( other than ratings and renew/ cancel items), because I just kind of assumed this show was cancelled ! I did like it OK for a summer show last year, but to be honest, I'm having trouble remembering a lot of it. As i think about it, some things are coming back, like Jennifer Finnigans character being in peril every-single-episode !

If nothing else, I think Taylor Cole is really hot & I loved her on "The Event". That was a show I would have loved to get a second season of, but we were lucky we got all of the 1st one. I thought for sure NBC was going to pull the plug on it before the finale !

On 5/25/2018 at 1:03 AM, willco said:

If nothing else, I think Taylor Cole is really hot & I loved her on "The Event". That was a show I would have loved to get a second season of, but we were lucky we got all of the 1st one. I thought for sure NBC was going to pull the plug on it before the finale !

I enjoyed Taylor on The Event as well.  Alas, it was yet another of Blair Underwood's NBC one-season wonders (LAX, The Event, Ironside).  I didn't even bother to watch Ironside, though I did watch the latter seasons of the original with Raymond Burr.  I think not too many people realized that Blair was reunited with his co-star from High Incident (remember that one?!?), Lisa Vidal.  In HI, she played his partner (they were both uniformed cops in a fictional city in Southern California, in the Event, she played his wife (he was POTUS, so she was FLOTUS).  The Event had promise, but ultimately didn't realize it (much like Flash Foward, which I think was the year before on a different network (ABC)).

Season 2 kicks off tonight. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to watch it, being on the other side of the world, but for now, here are a couple more preview articles that've popped up this week:

'Salvation’ star shocked by character’s Season 2 promotion

which suggests my speculation above was way off-beam, and, 

Jennifer Finnigan Previews Salvation's 'Way Crazier' Season 2, Lays Out The Rules for a New Drinking Game

which, I appreciate her acknowledgement of how crazy this show is!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This was posted just last week: https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/renewcancel/tv-shows-renewed-for-2018-19-and-beyond/

Does it really mean Salvation is renewed "for 2018-2019," or is TV by the Numbers just confused?

I think they must be confused - fans on Twitter are conducting an ongoing campaign for renewal and the cast and crew keep telling them they won't find out until October, so I don't think anyone knows either way at this stage. (I don't think the cast are optimistic - they all sounded really final when they posted wrap party pics on social media on the last day of shooting).

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2
Just now, Llywela said:

Ah, so the hammer has fallen. Not a surprise, but I do wonder why it has taken so long for this decision to be announced.

Idk, for some reason, certain decisions take a lot longer than others.

As for Salvation, these types of shows don't last too long.

3 hours ago, Llywela said:

Ah, so the hammer has fallen. Not a surprise, but I do wonder why it has taken so long for this decision to be announced.

Yeah -- you mentioned October, above. I'm kind of relieved, actually. It was becoming something of a chore to watch. I still would like to know what the not-asteroid was.

• Love 1