Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Asteroids in My Back Yard

The Small Talk topic is for:
•    Introductions
•    Off-topic chatter
•    Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
1    Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
2    Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
3    If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):
•    Character topics
•    Episode topics
•    Season topics
•    Spoiler topics
•    Speculation topics
•    In the Media topics
•    Favourite X topics
•    ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

• Love 1

Who would you include in the 160? They've talked about the intellectuals and the artists. What about farmers? One big need will be food! How about having some who has had actual experience with planting, harvesting, etc.

You'll need spacecraft engineers and technicians. Terraforming experts, engineers and technicians for hauling up biospheres and keeping them running. Exobiologists and botanists for food production. Doctors specialized in space medicine (because living in zero g wrecks havoc on the human body and nobody knows what consequences the reduced gravity on Mars will have in the long run). Doctors specialized in space fertility and human reproduction (not in existence yet AFAIK). Grunts to do the groundwork. Women willing and capable of undergoing and surviving several pregnancies. Plenty of shrinks and huge vats of tranquilizers to keep people from offing themselves or each other.

And what everyone seems to forget: crates full of bumble-bees and/or bees! No kidding.

160 as the magic number only works when all the technical variables to guarantee survival are in place. It's the number that should guarantee population stability under perfect space-travel conditions.

Edited by MissLucas

I'm not sure that this topic should maybe have its own thread.

My main thoughts have to do with the genetic health of the 160.

If I post about my own familial experiences with terminal illness and the interests of the scientific research community in wanting me to anonymously give my DNA for no less than 3 studies to date, well, that seems to belong on this thread.

But if I speculate about the genetic requirements of the fictional 160, that seems to belong on a new thread.

And then there's the possible bleed over of a genetic discussion into the taboo area of politics.

A recent science news story announced breakthroughs in embryonic gene repair. Maybe let's just assume they've worked out all the kinks with this, and forget about it.

Carry on. Here or in a new thread.