Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was rather underwhelmed by the finale, but I too hope this is renewed for another season. Any scene with the three leads bantering back and forth has been more than worth the price of admission.

22 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Also, I can't believe kidneys are that expensive. The health care system made a mom rob a bank. 

I am fortunate enough to have never needed an organ transplant (or have anyone close to me who has needed one) so maybe I'm showing some serious naivety when I say...I didn't know you had to pay for organs? I am well aware of the exorbitant costs of medical care (my appendectomy would have cost me roughly a year's worth of college tuition, and my only two options were to have that sucker removed or literally die of sepsis) and figured the surgery, hospital stay, etc. would have really added up, but I thought the organ was, like, included? Like isn't the reason we have transplant lists in the first place is so that people receive organs based on the severity of their condition (and likelihood of continued survival with the new organ), not their ability to pay? No wonder people get organs on the black market, it's probably cheaper than this bullshit! Especially kidneys, which can be donated by a living person if they're a match (cue the "Kidney Now!" song from 30 Rock).

22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So glad that Sadie liked her new school! I was afraid that she wasn't coming to the car because she was crying or being bullied, but she actually made friends and seems to be fitting in. It was nice to see Annie put aside her bitterness towards her ex for Sadie, and that she was willing to give Catholic school a chance. 

Horrible thoughts went through my head when Sadie was late for Annie picking her up, and I too am glad she's made friends and that Annie and her ex have found common ground.

12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I was just sitting there agape at the woman they met with at the hospital who was all "That will be $87K" as though folks can just write a check for that.

This too! Who has $87K in their checking account? Who would take a personal check for $87K?

12 hours ago, qtpye said:

Yeah, the show could have taken the easy route and made us hate Mary Pat, but the truth is she is just a desperate mother in a bad situation that is not of her own doing (husband passing away) and is doing what it takes to survive. The truth is she is not any different from our main three protagonists who have all done terrible things at this point.  This show is not based on anything close to reality, but I loved the cast and it was always a good way to end a usually crappy Monday. I have my fingers crossed for renewal.  I am happy the little girl got the kidney and I don't even care that they robbed the grocery store again, since it was nothing but one of Rio's shady operations. 

The thing for me with Mary Pat, which I've talked about before, is that she didn't want to do anything for the money. Yes, she was in a horrible situation--suddenly dead husband who left her with three (four?) insufferable little misbehaved children. But Beth, Ruby, and Annie got off their butts and did something about their situations, even if what they did was horribly illegal and potentially made their problems worse. I respected Mary Pat for calling Boomer what he was (a rapist!) but if they really want to redeem her with the girls, they have to have her go in with them on the shady shit. Hell, even when she still thought the secret shopper thing was legit, she never went and still expected to get paid.

• Love 18

I would think Stan, being a police officer, would have pretty good insurance.  I know the police in my city have better insurance than I have. And I work in healthcare.  Working in healthcare doesn't give you any breaks insurance wise.  Also, like someone above said, the daughter would have been on medicare for her disability.  As for that expensive drug the daughter was on: Many drug companies will provide the drug for free if an urgent enough need exists. There is a lot a paper work for the doctor's office, but it can be done.    After all one commercial even says: If you can't afford your medication, Astra Zenica can help!

In the years before Obama care, I have seen cancer patients have to leave their property to the hospital since they didn't have insurance.  They weren't refused treatment though.  Also I know of one college student that had her medical debt forgiven by my hospital.  She was receiving a twice weekly infusion that cost tens of thousands of dollars each time.  Her insurance balked for a long time on paying due to her being out of network. Luckily her mother now has a different policy and it is now being paid for. 

I really enjoy this show. But there is little of it that is realistic at all.

• Love 3
(edited)

I enjoy the show too.  I think they will be renewed or sold.  The show is a real gem.  The problem is being a network show kind of limits the creative options for plot.  I am totally shipping Rio and Beth.  I think when we see them again, they will be an item.  They will probably show in flashbacks how that happens.  Stan can walk if he wants, but every time he allows himself to enjoy the love and presence of his daughter as a healthy young child, he will have to give Ruby some credit.  For heaven's sake!  The child nearly died a few episodes ago!  

Even if he thought there was something shady about the "business" Ruby started, he sure didn't hesitate to push her and ask her if "Corporate" could help.  I remember him saying "...they need to step up their step up!"  When Ruby did "step up the step up" he walked out on her.  

I don't condone what Ruby did, but I am a mother and I know there is nothing a mother will not do for her child when it is a life and death situation.  Look at some of the episodes of Big Cat Diary.  Ruby was doing what comes naturally.

Edited by kpw801
Spelling
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, qtpye said:

Yeah, the show could have taken the easy route and made us hate Mary Pat

I still kind of hate Mary Pat for being greedy (and she's very lucky the girls didn't ask Rio to "handle" it).  But I really admire the way she stood up to Boomer, and kept saying what did: Rape.  Now she has a recording of him pretty much admitting to rape -- I hope that goes to the cops.

15 hours ago, Boofish said:

I want to know what Annie and the security guard agreed to in order for him not to turn her in.

The guard wanted attention and admiration, which he was very unlikely to get in the job he had.  So maybe bit pathetic (but aren't all these characters a bit pathetic?) but it seemed to fit him.

10 hours ago, incandescent said:

And even though this episode had so much serious business going on, it still managed to make me laugh, especially when Beth told the shoppers to pretend they were napping.

"COUNT SHEEP!!!!"

• Love 10

I would think Stan, being a police officer, would have pretty good insurance.  I know the police in my city have better insurance than I have. And I work in healthcare.  Working in healthcare doesn't give you any breaks insurance wise.  Also, like someone above said, the daughter would have been on medicare for her disability.  As for that expensive drug the daughter was on: Many drug companies will provide the drug for free if an urgent enough need exists. There is a lot a paper work for the doctor's office, but it can be done.    After all one commercial even says: If you can't afford your medication, Astra Zenica can help!

There is also the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), that Michigan has for lower income families.  The idea the hospital would refuse to do a transplant for a child unless the family paid $87,000.00 up front isn't realistic, and would likely cause terrible publicity once the news got out.

• Love 6

I have rewatched this finale over and over.  I noticed a couple of things.  Remember when Beth told Rio never to point a gun at her again?  He didn't.  I think she now understands how unrealistic she was being with that fantasy she shared with Ruby and Annie at the diner.  She had this idea that she could actually replace Reno with bragging and attitude.  She didn't realize the truth about the world Rio inhabits.  It is a given Rio knows what she aspires to and now she has to either put up or shut up.  She will never go back to being the woman she was, the question is how she moves to the next phase.

• Love 6
(edited)

I was disappointed to not see Beth tell Dean she knew about the fake cancer.  I was also expecting a few more twists, such as (1) Annie being pregnant from her one night stand with her ex, and (2) I was hoping it would turn out that Rio is deep undercover law enforcement, that way he could eventually be seen as a good guy and it would be ok for him to have a relationship with Beth.  I love the chemistry between those two, but Rio's behavior has been getting much more sinister these past two episodes :(   Maybe Beth is dreaming that Rio beat up Dean and passed her a gun.

Edited by greeneggsandham
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

There is also the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), that Michigan has for lower income families.  The idea the hospital would refuse to do a transplant for a child unless the family paid $87,000.00 up front isn't realistic, and would likely cause terrible publicity once the news got out.

The federal government pays for a lot of the kidney treatment (dialysis, medication, and transplants) in the U.S. through the end stage renal program. It covers nearly everyone in renal failure although it's a secondary payor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_Stage_Renal_Disease_Program?wprov=sfla1

• Love 6

Rio may be underestimating Beth if he doesn't think she'll pull the trigger on him (if that's even what they're trying to get across--I wasn't sure.)  

Ditto comments upthread, odds are the gun isn't loaded and he's just testing her. To what end though? Even if he's out on bail he's looking at prosecution unless the DA gets paid off or he agrees to rat out someone higher up the food chain. I too hope there'll be a second season and I also hope Rio will be back but in more of a cohort role than a boss one.

• Love 3
(edited)

It's ST:TNG season 3 ending ("Best of Both Worlds"). It might've worked if we heard a shot. 

I finished this season. The show will probably be back. Not me.

Edited by WAnglais1
Removed word to not read like the idiot I am.
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, greeneggsandham said:

I was disappointed to not see Beth tell Dean she knew about the fake cancer.  I was also expecting a few more twists, such as (1) Annie being pregnant from her one night stand with her ex, and (2) I was hoping it would turn out that Rio is deep undercover law enforcement, that way he could eventually be seen as a good guy and it would be ok for him to have a relationship with Beth.  I love the chemistry between those two, but Rio's behavior has been getting much more sinister these past two episodes :(   Maybe Beth is dreaming that Rio beat up Dean and passed her a gun.

She didn't have a chance to tell him.  She found out while he was in imaging at the hospital. When She got home Rio was there.  Personally, I think Rio wants Beth,especially when he saw how sneakily she and her girls set him up.  I think it is a test and it is a test with a reason. Once she pulls that trigger, he will know that she is in it for real. She kept saying "I have children."

At first she might have been saying that to mitigate any repercussions to her behavior and telling Rio she has children. Rio is showing her she now is repeating that mantra to herself. But every time she says it she still goes deeper into the game.  He knows she is hooked. He is schooling her for real!

• Love 2
On 4/10/2018 at 6:58 PM, sempervivum said:

These plots don't seem to be very well thought out, to put it kindly. The Retta 'bandage in the sauce' for example. What kind of sad sack would go along with stirring some greasy old sauce with her bare arm, just because the spoon/paddle broke?? Even if the owner is so cheap he won't replace the paddle, and even if the employee (wasn't she a waitress, why is she cooking?) didn't want to quit for some reason, wouldn't you spend $10 or something at a restaurant supply store and get your own paddle?! Stupid. It's like the writer had the 'bandage in the sauce' scene and built this clumsy background story to use it.

The odd thing about the story is that you would think that saying stirring a giant vat of sandwich sauce with your arm would be easy to say no to. Especially considering if you know about the arm-stirred drum it is something your boss probably wouldn't want anyone else to know about.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:58 PM, STOPSHOUTING said:

Lastly, THIS ISN'T HOW MONEY LAUNDERING WORKS. Money laundering is when you get people to take your dirty or, in this case, fake, cash, and give you back an asset OF LESSER VALUE. For instance, when Russian or Chinese oligarchs overpay wildly for real estate, so that they have a tangible asset they can later sell for real, clean money later if needed. You don't trade "dirty" cash for the same amount of "clean" cash. I mean, criminals wish but, no. Just...C'mon! 

They are not money laundering in the real sense where you find a way to make illegally gained cash look like legitimate income. They are just getting rid of the fake bills and getting real ones. Rio still had to actually launder it so that it looks like legal income on his taxes.

• Love 1

The only disappointment I had was not seeing Boomer get his just desserts.

Yes!  Why did the FBI arrest Rio for money laundering and using the supermarket safe, and IGNORE the idiot store manager who had to have been in cahoots with him???

Also it would be great for the police to check fingerprints on all of the drugs he planted in Annie's locker.  Prosecutors would be trying to prove conclusively that Annie was connected directly, but the only prints would be the weasels.

• Love 4
On 4/24/2018 at 11:49 AM, GussieK said:

This show is making less and less sense, yet I keep watching.  As many have said before, the actors are fantastic, so you want to see them anyway. 

I'm not believing that they really will turn him in. 

I am to the point now where I have accepted this show as a silly comedy and don't really care if it is not realistic. I mean was Arrested Development at all realistic to how a realistic to how a real estate company works or how a federal investigation runs?

I don't think they will turn him in directly but maybe set him up to get caught.

• Love 3

What I didn't get about the store robbery-- the police just let all the hostages leave??? WTF? They would keep them around (and get their information) to get statements about the robbers. And then, when they discovered the discarded ski masks, they would be able to put two and two together that the robbers turned into "hostages," and I think it would be easy enough to figure out Ruby's identity (she has a distinctive shape) and Beth by association (she and Ruby were together, alone, in the other aisle).

Annie seemed to stick around since she was an employee and had to vouch for the security guy's "heroism," but it seemed like everyone else just left. Stan didn't even seem to know that Ruby had been there.

• Love 3
(edited)

That's ... That's not how organ transplants work. You don't pay in advance. (In fact, that would be buying a human organ, which is HIGHLY illegal.) You don't have days to "come up with the money," and they sure as hell don't start keeping tabs on sick people who may die and give you one. Oh my god this show! It's like they think they're shopping for a really hard-to-find handbag, not replacing a little girl's kidney.

And why did she need a phone with her "at all times" if in this universe you've got DAYS, or weeks even, to leisurely saunter over to the hospital to get your new kidney installed?

It's not even about realism, so much as ... How stupid do they think we are? Like, who is writing this? I'm a housewife in the midwest and I have a better grasp on both medical protocol and organized crime than the writers' room of a network drama? Seriously? I mean, I get that Hendricks has a truly spectacular rack but it's not that distracting, y'all.

On 4/23/2018 at 11:04 PM, rhys said:

I got a new water heater within the last year. Mine was about $900. Not $8000. Mary Pat's must be lined in gold.

Yep, and how did a single mother living in what looks like close to poverty already spend the $20k, probably 2/3 of what she'd normally get in a year, they gave her IN THE LAST 5 WEEKS, to the point she now can't even afford groceries, when she appears to have upgraded absolutely nothing else in her life?

On 4/23/2018 at 10:58 PM, Snapdragon said:

So this has been bugging me since the plot line was introduced.  Why don't they just tell Mary Pat that they're involved with some bad people who wouldn't think twice about killing her and her family so she should walk away while she can and forget about the money?  I just don't understand why they don't level with her because I feel like that would solve the problem.  When she first brought up that they'd gotten her involved in something shady, why didn't they agree and go, "Yeah, we've fallen in with some shady people and if they find out who you are, they're going to murder you so just walk away and keep your mouth shut."   Seems to me that would have been easier (and more effective) then what they're doing now.

Not only did they not do that super obvious thing, or even threaten it, but they also, apparently, told her the entire scheme just to, you know, make it interesting, because this episode she talked about spending counterfeit money, when in the past she only knew it was, "something shady."

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
  • Love 2
On 5/8/2018 at 6:18 AM, BoogieBurns said:

I was coming here to post! Yay! Now I'm just waiting to hear Brooklyn 99 got renewed and all is good in the world.

B88 and The Expanse and Kevin (Probably) Saves The World and Dark Matter and... GRRRRRRR!

On 5/13/2018 at 10:24 AM, paulvdb said:

NBC fall TV 2018 schedule announced

Season 3 of “World of Dance” will move from summer to spring, airing on Sundays in March. It will be paired with the second season of “Good Girls.”

Somebody didn't bother checking the copy before that was posted -- it's season 2 of World of Dance that will be showing in March.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:28 PM, Ms Lark said:

Good news but you can't help but wonder what do they do moving forward. As entertaining as it was, the premise was undeniably iffy, like, how far can they sustain it? Shows like this always run the risk of having to pile things on (even if it starts becoming unrelated to the original premise) in order to keep it moving. We'll see.......................

• Love 1
On 5/1/2018 at 4:13 PM, BoogieBurns said:

Oh, I don't "ship" them. I find the actor and actress attractive, and think that they were cast that way for a reason. I love that these girls exist independent of their men. Every time I have said they should hook up, I meant because the actor is sexy. Not because the character is a good match for Beth.

ITA. I do ship Beth and Rio - not because they're good people or good for each other but they have amazing chemistry on screen and are both super attractive. Beth and Rio on screen together are my favorite parts of the show.

I think Beth shoots Rio but it's only a flesh wound. 

Off to go find some Beth/Rio fanfic LOL. 

• Love 4

So this is really a dark comedy, and that works if you can roll with it. I'm sticking with this for now because I am interested in seeing how far this situation takes the women. I like how the story is spread out between the trio. Although, I'm really dreading the point when the husbands/fathers/children find out how much trouble they're in, and what they've done -- that has to happen, right?

It's a good gimmick, I guess, but I'm not to fond of the cliffhanger endings.

• Love 1

I'm up to episode 5, but maybe this is a better place for this question: I'm still unclear about how Annie's creepy boss is related to the initial stolen money. Does he know about Rio; does Rio know about him? 'Yes' might be a safe assumption, but I don't think the show has made it clear. Did he know he was holding cash for criminals? His character is just a real weak link in this story for me.

On 6/17/2018 at 10:39 PM, Trini said:

I'm up to episode 5, but maybe this is a better place for this question: I'm still unclear about how Annie's creepy boss is related to the initial stolen money. Does he know about Rio; does Rio know about him? 'Yes' might be a safe assumption, but I don't think the show has made it clear. Did he know he was holding cash for criminals? His character is just a real weak link in this story for me.

He was managing the store when they robbed it. When Annie reached into the safe to get the cash, he saw her lower back tattoo. Then recognized it later on one of her shifts. I'm not sure what episode this happened in but eventually

Spoiler

she started blackmailing him so he won't go to the cops with that info.

1 hour ago, rho said:

He was managing the store when they robbed it. When Annie reached into the safe to get the cash, he saw her lower back tattoo. Then recognized it later on one of her shifts. I'm not sure what episode this happened in but eventually

Reveal hidden contents

she started blackmailing him so he won't go to the cops with that info.

I've got all that. My question is whether he knew that he was holding on to thousands of dollars from gangbangers. It seems like he didn't, but I just don't see how that's possible.

Okay, I'm glad that everyone else has pointed out the weirdness of the special sauce story. And the multiple holes with the returning merchandise scheme.

I'm really only invested with Ruby's family. Beth is getting too careless/reckless.

• Love 1
On 4/17/2018 at 7:58 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Dude if I was Annie I would have stripped down naked and brushed all my private parts on that couch.  Because I am petty.

Ha! I wasn't thinking anything that far, but after that "hair oils" convo, I was waiting for Annie to rub her hair ALL OVER that couch!

I liked that Dean was finally useful; that fake cancer thing needs to be found out, though.

Boomer and Mary Pat needs to be taken care of. Just scare Mary Pat, but Boomer just grosses me out whenever he's on screen, so he needs to go.

Rio/Beth is happening, isn't it?? I don't know if they'd actually sleep together, but I can see them potentially doing a lot of will-they-won't-they.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow, so the girls going after Rio was a stupid move. Did they really think there wouldn't be repercussions? They've seen how big his operation is. I don't know if Rio was actually planning to eliminate them, but they didn't really know that much about his operations, and they could still go down for the crimes they've committed.

Ugh! Can't believe Boomer is still here at the end of the season.

So sad for Ruby and Stan! But I knew he was going to figure things out eventually. I want them to reconcile somehow. I also hope they can get get a second wig for Retta next season.

No idea where they're going with that cliffhanger, but I hope everyone makes it out alive.

I mostly enjoyed (despite the numerous plot holes) the series; I was intrigued by the premise and that it was lead by 3 women; and I wanted to see where their criminal choices would lead them. But now that I've seen that, I don't think I'll be back for Season 2. I'm not a stranger to the occasionally violent, twisty drama, with dark comedy elements (5 seasons of Prison Break, y'all), but for me, I don't see much to look forward to.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
On 3/1/2018 at 10:04 PM, Jillybean said:

I wasn't excited about this based on the non-stop commercials, but I decided to give it a try since I like Mae Whitman. Wow, it was tough to get through. I liked all the women but not the storylines.  As soon as I saw the tramp stamp I knew it was going to end up showing at the robbery. So very predictable.

Don't want to see Matt Seracen as a bad guy.

Re Sadie, I'm not clear on why she has not changed her name. I don't know a lot about these things, but we have friends with a transgendered child and he has changed his name to a more "male" version of his given name. 

I'm out.

Cause she isn't trans. She's a girl that likes wearing blue shirts, ties and short hair. None of those are male things. Wasn't it stated that she's a lesbian?

• Love 1
On 4/17/2018 at 3:55 PM, kpw801 said:

Sorry, but do you not see his bedroom eyes?  He has a cocky self assurance and machismo that would make me go weak in the knees!  He also makes Beth feel powerful.  Can you imagine how after Dean told her she was not able to get credit - Rio told her he was upping their washing money to 175K?  That is what is keeping the heat going.  The way he looks at her and makes her (and us vicariously) feel.  The lowlife THUGS work for him.  He is a businessman like Michael Corleone.

On 4/17/2018 at 9:15 PM, Haleybug said:

Yesss.  I'm with you 100%.  He has some kind of smolder going on and I definitely dig it.  I had a mad crush on him when he was on Conviction and he's stepping it up a notch on this show.  I'm definitely picking up on a chemistry between him and Beth that I think is going to finally come to fruition by season end.    

On 4/18/2018 at 9:51 AM, Empress1 said:

I think Manny Montana is hot AF. Between the hotness and the fact that he gives Beth the only spark she's had in years, I can absolutely see why she's drawn to him. 

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's on the Beth/Rio train. I posted on another episode discussion that I ship Beth and Rio not because they're good people or good for each other but they have amazing chemistry on screen and are both super attractive. Beth and Rio on screen together are my favorite part of the show. As I watched, I found myself hoping for them to have a scene together. 

I gathered from an interview with the show's creator that a romantic dynamic between Beth and Rio was not in the original story line but a byproduct of the actor's chemistry with each other. Here's the excerpt: 

Let’s talk about Beth and Rio (Brio?): If you watch the show, you’ll have noticed Hendricks and Manny Montana as bad boy Rio heating up the screen on a regular basis. Bans explained that was unintentional. “We always have the full trajectory planned out,” Bans said. “Then we have happy accidents happen. With the characters of Beth and Rio – that chemistry happened. We weren’t planning that at all. Unexpected things occur and sometimes you scrap the things you thought were so attached to.”

• Love 2
On 4/11/2018 at 3:09 AM, tongueincheek said:

Aside from these three actresses being absolute top-shelf talent, the chemistry between Christina Hendricks and Manny Montana is absolutely explosive and so taut. It's what's keeping me tuned in as well. The back and forth between them is some kind of foreplay because you can tell they're both intrigued, and it's not necessarily sexual (oh but it is). For the first time, Beth is exerting her agency, it's about choice -- no matter how terrible her decisions are -- she is fully in a position of making them of her own volition and she doesn't have to answer to her husband. She feels like she's on some even playing field with Rio (even when she's really not), and his interest is clearly piqued by her always meeting him chin to chin. It's really fun to watch. 

You've perfectly summarized the Beth/Rio dynamic! Couldn't have said it better. It's sexual chemistry but more than that too. I like this show but Beth/Rio are what keep me coming back. 

• Love 1

I have been enjoying this show but boy howdy, does it have issues.

I find myself constantly amazed (and also frustrated) at how consistently Annie fucks up. I mean, how does so much incredible boneheadedness manage to fit into such a petite package? I just cannot handle her anymore.

I found myself utterly floored that Annie decided to ROB THE STORE SHE WORKS AT. And not only that, but was the one who went with the manager (her boss) to take the money from the safe. Like, really? Never mind the "tramp stamp" contrivance...did they not think her voice might be recognized by him? Next level stupid.

Then, after they agree to lie low, she goes out and buys a flashy car and a bunch of tech gear. Sooo subtle that even her 11 year old is all "Uh, how'd you afford this?" Had she not done that, her skeevy boss probably wouldn't have had a leg to stand on re: his blackmail. He can claim that she robbed the store but he'd have no proof (just he said/she said) and his so inappropriate interactions with her could cast his accusations into doubt. Also, if the store was hanging onto gang money, doesn’t that implicate Boomer in some kind of crime? Why didn’t they leverage that to get him to back off (You tell, we tell) rather than promise sexual favour(s) in return?

Then the dude goes to her home, drunk, and tries to rape her. After Beth knocks him out, rather than call the police all "um yeah, my creepy boss (who's been hitting on me) turned up at my home, pushed his way in and tried to rape me", they...tie him up and put him in a treehouse. What? Again, their initial contrived fuck up with Boomer results in them not doing the normal thing of calling the police.

Then, she recruits the dimbulb incompetent security guy from her store to be a fake secret shopper. Naturally, dumbass fucks up and they’re in shit again.

Then, she decides to fuck over her ex’s new wife by stealing drugs from her spas and selling them to the drug dealer who also works in her store BEFORE CONFIRMING THAT IT’S A PRODUCT HE DEALS.

Then, she gets drunk and sleeps with her ex and it’s all blah blah blah why is my life so awful? Well, maybe because you’re a fucking idiot who makes terrible decisions/choices? Did I black out and miss the explanation of Annie and Matt Saracen’s failed marriage or do we not know the details?

I adore Stan and Ruby’s relationship so much but I agree that their house looks way nicer than they should theoretically be able to afford.

I would like to know the story of how Beth’s useless husband found a doctor willing to lie about a diagnosis for him. Like, how does that even work? Did he just visit a bunch of doctors until he found one willing to lie about him having cancer? Did he google “sketchy as fuck doctors in my area”?

Mary Pat? Talk about overreaching. Damn. Sure, she’s in a shitty situation but, like, get in line. I can understand her blackmailing them for hush money (after all, they did intentionally embroil her in criminal activity without her knowledge or consent) but fuck you lady, my husband and I together do not pull in 10K a month, so sit the fuck down. Be reasonable. Time to let Rio do his thing, IMO.

Count me in on the “there’s something about Rio/Beth” train. I do see a chemistry there; not a ‘love’ chemistry, but I do believe they would tear up some sheets to very mutual satisfaction. ;)

• Love 4
6 hours ago, NoWillToResist said:

I would like to know the story of how Beth’s useless husband found a doctor willing to lie about a diagnosis for him. Like, how does that even work? Did he just visit a bunch of doctors until he found one willing to lie about him having cancer? Did he google “sketchy as fuck doctors in my area”?

You ask many good questions, but I can only answer this one - Dean was bribed the doctor with a (new, expensive) car from his dealership.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Trini said:

You ask many good questions, but I can only answer this one - Dean was bribed the doctor with a (new, expensive) car from his dealership.

No, I remember that he bribed him...what I meant was how did he FIND a bribeable doctor? That’s some license-losing worthy shit right there. Why would a doctor risk it? 

• Love 2
On 5/1/2018 at 9:44 AM, qtpye said:

Yeah, the show could have taken the easy route and made us hate Mary Pat, but the truth is she is just a desperate mother in a bad situation that is not of her own doing (husband passing away) and is doing what it takes to survive.

I have to respectfully disagree. Yes, Mary Pat was dealt a bum hand with the dead hubby. And yes, she was going to be used in a criminal activity without her knowledge or consent. I understand that she needs money. BUT. She extorts the women for (net) 10K a month. That is some greedy shit. That's what made me dislike her; the amount she demanded. Most working couples don't bring in that kind of money. And she wanted it without doing anything at all.

On 5/1/2018 at 9:44 AM, qtpye said:

On 5/1/2018 at 10:02 AM, Boofish said:

I would rather Stan leave than turn Ruby in to the authorities. I had no problem with his reaction. Although Dean's reaction to just join in on the crimes was pretty hilarious.

Beth having anything romantic with Rio at this point is gross. They can't come back from him beating the snot out of her husband. But good for Dean as it looks like he got in a few licks

I fully understood Stan's reaction. Yes, he loves his daughter and wants her to live but Ruby has done some serious crimes here. She's essentially forcing him to either arrest his wife (and mother of his children) or make him an accomplice to her crimes (thus jeopardizing his career and freedom, and their children's future re: no parents). I think he will eventually forgive Ruby (after all, their daughter is alive because of the crimes) but I can completely understand him being angry/hurt/disappointed at Ruby and having to walk away from her. It's a lot to take in!

I for one would be fine for Beth to point the gun at Dean and pull the trigger (I also don't think it's loaded). That fucker cheated on his wife, made shitty money choices which would have resulted in his family being penniless and homeless, and then, just when you think he can't be more of a dick, he lies about having cancer so that he can come home. He's disgusting. He and Boomer should be best buddies. He contributes nothing except apparently driving the kids around.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:34 AM, Boofish said:

Goodness that makes him sound a tab pathetic. That's all it takes for you to cover up a crime? Now that is the most unrealistic part of this show

Have you SEEN this idiot though? I am not surprised that that's what bought him. This is the guy who puts 20K worth of merchandise in his car (which doesn't lock); this is the "security" guy who couldn't chase and catch a turtle; he's one of the reasons I'm so annoyed at Annie since she's the one who recruited his dumbass into their shopping ring. As if he had ever given her any reason to think he was competent and ANYTHING EVER.

I just don't know how to feel about this show. Retta is killing all her scenes, IMO. But boy are there some things which are hard to swallow. Not sure how much longer I can accept the ridiculousness, but damn the chemistry between the leads is hard to argue against...

• Love 4

From that press release:

Season two is all about women dealing with the consequences of their criminal behavior. What happens in the wake of the trigger being pulled will have life-changing consequences that ripple through the entire season for Beth, Ruby and Annie.

Pretty vague, but it sounds like somebody gets shot....

I'm watching this on netflix, after only seeing the first episode last year. I'm enjoying it more now. I'm up to where Mary Pay shows up at the game, and asks about $8000 being stolen from her mail box. I'm torn between really not liking her, and also understanding that she was used to launder money. That's a big deal. I know the one girl tested a bill at the store, but any of those women could have been arrested for using fake money, because these women used them to launder it for them.

• Love 2