Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This show is making less and less sense, yet I keep watching.  As many have said before, the actors are fantastic, so you want to see them anyway. 

12 hours ago, kpw801 said:

Not what I expected. I can't believe Beth flipped like that. I thought something was going to happen with Mary Pat though. Mary Pat & Boomer HAVE TO GO!

I'm not believing that they really will turn him in. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Boofish said:

I thought when you receive a donated organ you have a good 10 minutes to get to the hospital. You don't have time to go rob a store to get the money.

They haven't received the organ yet, the donor's family are still saying their goodbyes.

• Love 4

So do people still think Beth and Rio are going to hook up? I never saw that potential between them (and, frankly, am a little squicked out by the very idea of it). You don't hire someone who looks like that, and put a giant eagle tattoo across his throat to make his look even scarier if you intend for him to be a love interest for Christina Hendricks. I think we're meant to be afraid of him, not shipping him and Beth. I foresee our ladies taking over his operations somehow.

And it seems like the Mary Pat situation should be simple enough to take care of. Beth already warned her that if she turned them in, they would take her down with them. She stands to lose just as much as they do, so I don't get why she thinks she's holding all the cards. Plus if any of the ladies were smart enough to record her blackmailing them they would have even more on her if she did turn them in. It would make her a willing accessory plus she'd be charged with extortion.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You don't hire someone who looks like that, and put a giant eagle tattoo across his throat to make his look even scarier if you intend for him to be a love interest for Christina Hendricks.

I don't really understand what you're getting at, there. Manny Montana is a very handsome man and I wouldn't consider him scary-looking without the neck tattoos and the wall of gunmen behind him.

• Love 17

I'm just wondering if trying to send this bad guy to prison could end up with him getting killed, not by their hands, but, accident or other bad guys. And they get the credit or blame....Will this show go that dark?  I know it's a comedy. Maybe, they wouldn't go there. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So do people still think Beth and Rio are going to hook up? I never saw that potential between them (and, frankly, am a little squicked out by the very idea of it). You don't hire someone who looks like that, and put a giant eagle tattoo across his throat to make his look even scarier if you intend for him to be a love interest for Christina Hendricks.

I have always seen that possibility. I do not think it will happen in the near future, but I also don't think they'll turn him in. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I like Rio. Even with his overuse of the word "bitch." I like him way more than Mary Pat and Boomer, and I'm hoping one day Beth will ask him to eliminate those two annoyances. Boomer's a rapist, and Mary Pat is hands down the most annoying, sanctimonious blackmailer ever. 

Mary Pat must think she was involved in a pyramid scheme that also cheated retail stores, not a full-on drug lord operation. Because if she did, I can't imagine she'd think constantly pestering the women and biting the hand that feeds her would end well. I'd stay as far away from them as possible if I were her. 

A lot of suspension of disbelief is required, but the show is so fun, I don't care.

• Love 17
19 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I have always seen that possibility. I do not think it will happen in the near future, but I also don't think they'll turn him in. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I like Rio. Even with his overuse of the word "bitch." I like him way more than Mary Pat and Boomer, and I'm hoping one day Beth will ask him to eliminate those two annoyances. Boomer's a rapist, and Mary Pat is hands down the most annoying, sanctimonious blackmailer ever. 

Mary and Boomer are obnoxious 1 dimensional cartoon cutouts who have well overstayed their welcome in regards to the show, whereas Rio at least has more depth to him.

• Love 8

It was heavily implied that Rio killed that witness the cops nabbed in this episode, and that he would be tying up loose ends by killing Beth, Annie and Ruby, which is why the episode ended with them contemplating turning on him before he got the chance. I fail to see anything sexy or romantic about him. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4

Just stick Dean, Boomer, and Mary Pat into one of those delivery trucks and launch it off a cliff. Those three have *handclap emoji* got *handclap emoji* to *handclap emoji* go.

Ruby and Stan getting high together was delightful. "He's soooooo small."

I don't think Beth/Ruby/Annie are really gonna turn Rio in, and I obviously don't think he's gonna kill any of them (jury's still out on whether or not he'll try). I not so secretly wanted Beth and Rio to smush eventually but after the implications of this episode...no dice. I get where he'd be coming from in his world but it just doesn't feel like the women are loose ends that need tying up--or at least it didn't, until they decided to maybe turn him in.

• Love 6

I don't buy Stan getting high. He's a cop. Won't he be drug tested? (It was a very cute scene; I just don't buy that he'd get high.)

I don't want Mary Pat dead. She's alone with however many kids. I just want her scared off. As others have said, there are various ways to get her off their backs.

Boomer... don't care if he's scared off somehow or meets his demise, but he is horrible. As much as I don't like Mary Pat, taking advantage of her emotions and widowhood like he's doing is vile.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, justmehere said:

I don't buy Stan getting high. He's a cop. Won't he be drug tested? (It was a very cute scene; I just don't buy that he'd get high.)

I don't want Mary Pat dead. She's alone with however many kids. I just want her scared off. As others have said, there are various ways to get her off their backs.

Boomer... don't care if he's scared off somehow or meets his demise, but he is horrible. As much as I don't like Mary Pat, taking advantage of her emotions and widowhood like he's doing is vile.

This says that the Detroit police applicants are drug tested.  Not sure if existing officers get unannounced, random test, but, I did see that it was done many years ago.

https://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,4607,7-229-41624-150202--,00.html

• Love 2
On 4/23/2018 at 9:04 PM, rhys said:

I got a new water heater within the last year. Mine was about $900. Not $8000. Mary Pat's must be lined in gold.

Since the clock is running out on mine, I shopped for months and got one for $500. If folks are paying over $7,000 for installation then I am definitely in the wrong business.

What bugs me the most is that Mary Pat seems like she would be easily intimidated. Just tell her that going to the police would be a very poor decision for her family. Think about your children, Mary Pat. Don't you care about your children, Mary Pat? 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, scowl said:

What bugs me the most is that Mary Pat seems like she would be easily intimidated. Just tell her that going to the police would be a very poor decision for her family. Think about your children, Mary Pat. Don't you care about your children, Mary Pat? 

"It would be a shame if anything happened to you. Your kids would go into the system, and probably get split up. The baby would probably get adopted, but you know how hard it is to place older children, especially siblings."

• Love 7
On 4/21/2018 at 11:50 AM, Raja said:

The Good Girls are not criminal masterminds. At the moment they think it is possible that Rio would actually go through with the kill instead of just sticking a  few guns in Mary Pat's face as he had on multiple occasions done to them.

This is EXACTLY what I've been thinking!  Granted, I'm not any kind of criminal and I have next to zero street cred, but I find it odd that they think Rio would just be killing people left and right that don't fit into his plan.  That seems like the OPPOSITE of what he'd be doing in trying to keep a lower profile like he seems to be.  I found it kind of funny that they would immediately jump to him knocking someone off when he has let more than a few things slide with them.  

• Love 4
16 hours ago, justmehere said:

I definitely had to suspend disbelief for this.  Especially since he is not a "real cop yet".  If he's still in some kind of probationary period then he would be stupid to get high.  With that said though, I'm so glad they did - such a cute scene! 

• Love 5
On 4/24/2018 at 2:21 PM, thesupremediva1 said:

I like Rio. Even with his overuse of the word "bitch." I like him way more than Mary Pat and Boomer

Rio has always been honest with them.  He knows he's a bad guy and just doesn't care. It seems that psychopaths are born that way -- here's a gene that gets turned -- but sociopaths are made -- through years and years of pretty horrid abuse.  Rio seems like a sociopath but he doesn't use the abuse as an excuse for who he is.   I think that's why I like him.  Yeah,he's a pretty nasty person, but anyone from that world knows that talking to the cops is a death sentence.  (I think the kid may have said something like that when he was first brought in, but he was just a pawn that the cops knew would be killed.)

• Love 5
On 4/24/2018 at 12:04 AM, rhys said:

I got a new water heater within the last year. Mine was about $900. Not $8000. Mary Pat's must be lined in gold.

I got the impression that the old hot water heater had leaked all over her basement, so the $8000 was for the new hot water heater and all the repairs (new carpet etc.)

Fearing for their lives, the ladies scramble to try to take down Rio. A kidney becomes available for Sara but Ruby and Stan don’t have the money to pay for it. The three women hatch a plan that will solve both problems – one that involves returning to the scene of their first crime.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:40 AM, Lovecat said:

Right?  I mean, I'm probably more willing than most to handwave a lot of stuff for the sake of entertainment, but the sheer stupidity of the "BUY ALL OF THE THINGS...RETURN ALL OF THE THINGS" approach to money laundering bugged me.  Walking into a store and buying FIVE gigantic teevees, each retailing for $5K?  Not exactly flying under the radar, there, Annie.  Ruby's approach, buying multiple smaller appliances, was marginally better...BUT ALL AT THE SAME STORE?  Honey, no.  They need to spread their "business" out, rotate stores, wait a couple of weeks before making the returns, shop and return at different hours of the day, and for the love of god, spend MUCH less on each "shopping" trip!

The flip side doesn't really make sense either. With the size of Rio's operation based on how many people were in his factory, and the fact that it is an international operation, is 3 mom's doing this kind of scam $20,000 at a time even worth it for him. I would be shocked to find out if they had even laundered all the money they brought back from Canada. At this rate they are going to run out of stores long before they launder any significant percentage of his cash.

• Love 2

Man, this show had better be renewed. Way too big of a cliffhanger tonight. Stan needs to forgive Ruby and there needs to be solution to the Rio showdown that leaves him alive and working with the 3 ladies.

• Love 15

That was unsatisfying end to a great season.

The Good: 

Annie and her ex being mature.

Sadie liking her new school

Dean getting beat up 

Boomer getting recorded

The Bad:

How did Rio get out of jail?

The grocery store robbery was dumb

Oh Stan.....

(edited)

Stan is unrealistic! Their daughter is alive and well because of RUBY! I know she feels guilty but she shouldn't. He was in church testifying about how "the money came lik a miracle" and calling that slank an angel. But now Ruby is the devil and must be abandoned? He ought to go sit down somewhere! He knew he was a cop when he smoked weed.

Edited by kpw801
Spelling
  • Love 19

I knew as soon as Beth had that super smug, cat who ate the canary look cross her face, that Rio would find her before too long.  Not sure how he got out, you'd think they wouldn't be so quick to let a known gang leader post bail, and if he somehow managed to escape, you think they'd be looking all over for him.   I think Rio may be underestimating Beth if he doesn't think she'll pull the trigger on him (if that's even what they're trying to get across--I wasn't sure.) 

I, too, really, really hope that this show gets renewed!  So many cliffhangers, and so many other loose ends that I'd really like to see tied up.  

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, deaja said:

The grocery store robbery was dumb

I loved it! I thought it was smart to have the money on Annie instead of the other two. Better for it to be a night she worked to clear up one alibi. I really wish Ruby would have deposited the money and not paid in cash. What company gives $87,000 bonuses? Also, I can't believe kidneys are that expensive. The health care system made a mom rob a bank. 

She could kill her husband, I prefer that. Rio definitely should have still been in jail unless he narced on some major drug lords or whatever.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, reallyjustjen said:

I knew as soon as Beth had that super smug, cat who ate the canary look cross her face, that Rio would find her before too long.  Not sure how he got out, you'd think they wouldn't be so quick to let a known gang leader post bail, and if he somehow managed to escape, you think they'd be looking all over for him.   I think Rio may be underestimating Beth if he doesn't think she'll pull the trigger on him (if that's even what they're trying to get across--I wasn't sure.) 

I, too, really, really hope that this show gets renewed!  So many cliffhangers, and so many other loose ends that I'd really like to see tied up.  

I think he realized that he had underestimated her once they found him due to the robbery set up. He might have bugged her because how did he know she wanted to be him"

• Love 2

This better be renewed! Too many cliffhangers to not renew! A lot of crap went down. 

I might not like Mary pat very much, but her recording Boomer being super creepy was pretty awesome. She gets that point at least. What a nasty asshole he is, he deserves worse. 

I knew Rio wasn't going to stay in jail, but I would like to know how the heck he managed to get out to quickly. I knew things were going too well for Beth when she was strutting out of the hospital when she saw Rio in jail. 

So glad that Sadie liked her new school! I was afraid that she wasn't coming to the car because she was crying or being bullied, but she actually made friends and seems to be fitting in. It was nice to see Annie put aside her bitterness towards her ex for Sadie, and that she was willing to give Catholic school a chance. 

I hope Stan forgives Ruby, and they can get past this. She did this for their daughter, he has to at least understand that. They're the best (and only functional) couple on the show!

Gonna be needing that renewal now, network. 

• Love 10

Please don't tell me that a hospital would deny a kidney transplant to a child unless you paid upfront. Is this dramatic licence or a sad represenation of our health care system.  I see people having fundraiser for medical costs for transplants, but would they give the kidney away due to finance. 

I wanted to see what Beth does about the cancer diagnosis fraud..and is Mary pat nice now? I wanted them to haul her ass to the hospital to see ruby's daughter and show why they NEEDED $87,000 so hand back the 20k bitch.

• Love 19
(edited)
43 minutes ago, deaja said:

I'm guessing he's out on bail. I think the news bit said he was charged with money laundering, not with any violent crimes.

Did hospital lady say the $87k was the 20% that insurance didn't cover? So the hospital charges $435k for a kidney transplant? I know healthcare is expensive in the US, but that number sounds ridiculous. And don't most hospitals have financing options? $87k is an enormous amount of money to have readily available, even for someone who makes six figures.

ETA: And don't most health insurance plans have annual out-of-pocket maximums that are much less than $87k? Mine is around $5k; I can see it being higher for a family plan, but not *that* high.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 9

Before last night, I did a little research on the out of the pocket costs for a kidney transplant for a child. There are many factors, but, apparently, the child qualifies for Medicare, once their medical condition reaches a certain level, because it's covered under their disability coverage.  I suppose a parent's policy would be supplemental.  Anyway, apparently, this show didn't dig too deep and I doubt their portrayal of the money required in this case was too realistic, but, I still like the show. 

I missed some of the earlier episodes, so, I look forward to catching up and really getting to know the characters better. 

I get Stan being upset, but, honestly, you just can't blame people for taking measures to protect their kids.  And, if a man has an issue with that, he'd just have to walk.  

• Love 15
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I get Stan being upset, but, honestly, you just can't blame people for taking measures to protect their kids.  And, if a man has an issue with that, he'd just have to walk.  

Under normal circumstances I would probably agree with you but this one is hella complicated.  Stan is a cop who is investigating the string of robberies his wife committed not to mention is connected to the gang banger he is trying to put in jail.   This is going to look all kinds of bad for him with his career and his case.  Yes she saved  their kids life but she pretty much ruined her husbands career in the process. 

I know a lot of people ship Beth and Rio but I wouldn’t mind if she shoots him.  It would be interesting to see her adapt to a world a little higher then Rio.  Plus I do think keeping her husband around for at least now adds a bit of family dynamic for better and worse to her character.

• Love 6

Maybe Beth will shoot Rio first, then her husband. Blame hubby's death on Rio and claim she managed to get Rio's gun and shot him in self-defense. That would be my preferred scenario! Get rid of them both.

Stan. He needs to come to grips. Where was he going to get the $$$ for baby girl's kidney transplant? Better that she dies? Hell no. Ruby is the only one I condone for the robberies. Beth and Annie are in it for the bucks, power, kicks, revenge. Not the best motives.

I wonder what will happen to Mary Pat? Hope this gets renewed. I'm pretty sure it will.

• Love 13

I’m on Stan’s side. This could ruin their lives (and the costs are ridiculous- there is no way they wouldn’t have a cap on “their” expenses. Even catastrophic insurance it is usually about $20000) and she did not just do it for their daughter. The ladies had a spell where they were all living the high life- fancy dinner, shopping, etc. She lied to him for months after also lying to him about her job, etc.

33 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Before last night, I did a little research on the out of the pocket costs for a kidney transplant for a child. There are many factors, but, apparently, the child qualifies for Medicare, once their medical condition reaches a certain level, because it's covered under their disability coverage.  I suppose a parent's policy would be supplemental.  Anyway, apparently, this show didn't dig too deep and I doubt their portrayal of the money required in this case was too realistic, but, I still like the show. 

I was just sitting there agape at the woman they met with at the hospital who was all "That will be $87K" as though folks can just write a check for that. I didn't think that could be realistic (I mean, I know how bullshit our health care system is, but I thought at the VERY least there might be payment plan options explored, etc.). 

Zach Gilford is so cute.

Good for Mary Pat. I hope the show gets renewed - she's a good foil. I'm glad she fucked up Boomer, in her own way.

I'm glad Beth found out about Dean not having cancer. I hope that's addressed next season, if there is one.

I'm team Shoot Rio (even though I'd miss looking at Manny Montana) - as he says, you kill the competition - but I don't think Beth will.

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I was just sitting there agape at the woman they met with at the hospital who was all "That will be $87K" as though folks can just write a check for that. I didn't think that could be realistic (I mean, I know how bullshit our health care system is, but I thought at the VERY least there might be payment plan options explored, etc.). 

Zach Gilford is so cute.

Good for Mary Pat. I hope the show gets renewed - she's a good foil. I'm glad she fucked up Boomer, in her own way.

I'm glad Beth found out about Dean not having cancer. I hope that's addressed next season, if there is one.

I'm team Shoot Rio (even though I'd miss looking at Manny Montana) - as he says, you kill the competition - but I don't think Beth will.

Yeah, the show could have taken the easy route and made us hate Mary Pat, but the truth is she is just a desperate mother in a bad situation that is not of her own doing (husband passing away) and is doing what it takes to survive. The truth is she is not any different from our main three protagonists who have all done terrible things at this point.  This show is not based on anything close to reality, but I loved the cast and it was always a good way to end a usually crappy Monday. I have my fingers crossed for renewal.  I am happy the little girl got the kidney and I don't even care that they robbed the grocery store again, since it was nothing but one of Rio's shady operations. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, deaja said:

I’m on Stan’s side. This could ruin their lives (and the costs are ridiculous- there is no way they wouldn’t have a cap on “their” expenses. Even catastrophic insurance it is usually about $20000) and she did not just do it for their daughter. The ladies had a spell where they were all living the high life- fancy dinner, shopping, etc. She lied to him for months after also lying to him about her job, etc.

I would rather Stan leave than turn Ruby in to the authorities. I had no problem with his reaction. Although Dean's reaction to just join in on the crimes was pretty hilarious.

Boomer justifying his attempted rape of Annie is the most disgusting thing I have seen on television in quite some time. I was physically ill listening to him. I don't like Mary Pat but THANK YOU GOD that she stood her ground and called it what it was and did not back down. Sometimes these hollyrollers can go either way

I want to know what Annie and the security guard agreed to in order for him not to turn her in. I'm also assuming the close up of the donated coats is where they hid the money? 

Beth having anything romantic with Rio at this point is gross. They can't come back from him beating the snot out of her husband. But good for Dean as it looks like he got in a few licks

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Boofish said:

I would rather Stan leave than turn Ruby in to the authorities. I had no problem with his reaction. Although Dean's reaction to just join in on the crimes was pretty hilarious.

Boomer justifying his attempted rape of Annie is the most disgusting thing I have seen on television in quite some time. I was physically ill listening to him. I don't like Mary Pat but THANK YOU GOD that she stood her ground and called it what it was and did not back down. Sometimes these hollyrollers can go either way

I want to know what Annie and the security guard agreed to in order for him not to turn her in. I'm also assuming the close up of the donated coats is where they hid the money? 

Beth having anything romantic with Rio at this point is gross. They can't come back from him beating the snot out of her husband. But good for Dean as it looks like he got in a few licks

She agreed to make him sound like a hero to the cops. She was talking about how he was like Rambo and shit and was able to get the perps away from the safe. The ski masks Ruby and Beth wore were in the pile of donated/lost and found/whatever coats, which the FBI agent saw.

• Love 15
(edited)
11 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Please don't tell me that a hospital would deny a kidney transplant to a child unless you paid upfront. Is this dramatic licence or a sad represenation of our health care system.  I see people having fundraiser for medical costs for transplants, but would they give the kidney away due to finance. 

I wanted to see what Beth does about the cancer diagnosis fraud..and is Mary pat nice now? I wanted them to haul her ass to the hospital to see ruby's daughter and show why they NEEDED $87,000 so hand back the 20k bitch.

So I work in health care, and I can tell you that in my (indirect) experience, it is true that people are denied transplants based on lack of insurance. However, I believe that most insurance plans pay a higher percentage of the costs, and as other people have pointed out, there is often times a maximum amount that patients are expected to pay in a single year, and beyond that insurance will cover it all. Patients are certainly not expected to pay $87,000 with a check or cash. But it is true that in order to be even put on a transplant list, patients have to have pretty good insurance coverage. So it's not true to life (at least in my experience), but I grant them a little dramatic license.

Overall I'm really enjoying this show. The twists and turns are interesting, and I think it's a good mix between real life and crazy fantasy.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

I would think any deductible would have been met with just a few office visits and one prescription.

26 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

She agreed to make him sound like a hero to the cops. She was talking about how he was like Rambo and shit and was able to get the perps away from the safe. The ski masks Ruby and Beth wore were in the pile of donated/lost and found/whatever coats, which the FBI agent saw.

Goodness that makes him sound a tab pathetic. That's all it takes for you to cover up a crime? Now that is the most unrealistic part of this show

• Love 5
(edited)

Surely that gun isn't loaded.  I don't think Rio would take a chance that Beth might shoot him.  I think she'll aim at him and pull the trigger and nothing will happen.  Also, how did Mary Pat know to go to Beth when she found Boomer's recording device?  Did she just assume he was trying to get info on the dealings that the women had?

Edited by bigmag
  • Love 8

This is the episode where I think I'm out. I mean, there's only one more, so I'll probably at least skim it but all the dumb stuff has now far, FAR surpassed the charm of the leads. While I generally LOVE Allison Tolman (RIP Downward Dog, which kept getting better as it went, and she's also awesome on I'm Sorry with Andrea Savage WHICH SO MANY MORE PEOPLE SHOULD BE WATCHING!), Mary Pat is the worst. She doesn't even know what's going on, just that it's shady, and it seems wildly OTT for a single, struggling mom to land on a figure as high as $10,000 PER MONTH as something that is actually attainable, without bringing the possibility of physical harm down on herself. And what was she gonna tell Stan? Makes zero sense. 

They raised $1,900 from minimum wage, not full time jobs they just started? How??!? That's 2-3 months salary in that situation, and they both still need to live, too. And, yes, Retta's gorgeous home, after years of dead end jobs and crippling medical expenses? Takes me out of it every single time.

When Mae Whitman, whose character is THE WORST, robbed the people at the parking garage instead of just, you know, pulling away from the automatic gate and just moving behind them to follow them out or, heck, even flipping casually EXPLAINING what occurred with her ticket, LIKE A NORMAL PERSON, I just lost it. Nope. Nope. Nope.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, bigmag said:

Also, how did Mary Pat know to go to Beth when she found Boomer's recording device?  Did she just assume he was trying to get info on the dealings that the women had?

Yeah, she thought Boomer was FBI and assumed Beth would know how they started surveillance on Mary Pat.

• Love 5
On 4/11/2018 at 3:04 PM, iMonrey said:

They aren't little things - that's the problem. I'm trying to work out the logistics of this scheme. They have 30 women doing this shopping, right? Let's say there are 30 big box stores in the driveable area. Each shopper spends $20K on big ticket items. Do they return to the same store or return them to some other store? Surely the store requires them to return items to the same store they were purchased from. Even if not, how many times can they go back to the same store and return $20K worth of merchandise for cash? (And would a big box store even give you cash for $20K worth of returned merchandise? Would they even have that much in the till?) I mean, even if the women rotate from one store to another, they are eventually going to run out of stores pretty quickly. Women constantly coming in with $20K worth of merchandise and asking for cash is going to raise suspicions. 

This whole plan just doesn't seem workable when you break it down.

I could see a more realistic alternative if they were buying big ticket items like cars with the cash, then turning around and selling them to private individuals. Of course, they would have to take a loss with each transaction since nobody is going to buy a car from an individual for the sticker price, even if it's brand spanking new. Still, since the money is counterfeit anyway, what is really lost in terms of profits? If you got $20K in real money out of $30K of fake money, isn't that more or less pure profit anyway, minus whatever it cost to print the fake money?

Yes, let's first ignore the fact that no store on earth gives cash for returns over a certain fairly small amount >$200, even if you paid cash, you'd be waiting on a check reimbursement. Second, stores getting $20k in merchandise return from a single customer even ONE TIME would set off ALL the red flags. Stores don't deal with a lot cash nowadays (less than 30% of retail transactions are done using cash), and most of what they do is in relatively small amounts. Paying for something pricey, even 20 years when I worked part-time retail, in all cash would be big, it would noted and it would be remembered. The plan, from moment one, was beyond stupid and unworkable for 2 billions reasons.

And if even banks aren't flagging their cash as counterfeit—and if they were, stores wouldn't be allowing huge returns—WHY NOT JUST USE THE COUNTERFEIT MONEY?? Because, folks, if hundreds of thousands of dollars of counterfeit money was coming through any area of the country, no matter how large, even New York City, we'd hear about it. Fast. Every store and bank would be on high alert for bad bills.

Lastly, THIS ISN'T HOW MONEY LAUNDERING WORKS. Money laundering is when you get people to take your dirty or, in this case, fake, cash, and give you back an asset OF LESSER VALUE. For instance, when Russian or Chinese oligarchs overpay wildly for real estate, so that they have a tangible asset they can later sell for real, clean money later if needed. You don't trade "dirty" cash for the same amount of "clean" cash. I mean, criminals wish but, no. Just...C'mon! 

• Love 4
(edited)

Pretty satisfactory season finale, I will definitely be back for another season, assuming there is one. I believe the ratings for this thing were pretty decent. The only disappointment I had was not seeing Boomer get his just desserts.

Well, the TV news said he had been indicted for money laundering. I think it would be pretty standard for him to be taken in, booked, then released on bail until trial.

I know a lot of people ship Beth and Rio

Which, frankly, I find kinda gross. Something about fetishizing a dangerous criminal who, in all likelihood, has probably killed people, really disturbs me. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 7
57 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

As Boomer was making "excuses" for it being ok to rape Annie the look of disbelief and disgust on Mary Pat face kept growing. Boomer saying Mary Pat was "a good girl" and he would never do that to her, while Annie was a "slut who led him on" had it coming, was chilling.  With each of his "rationalisations" Mary Pat's responded by saying "RAPE".  She called it for what it was and did not let him get away with it.  I kind of love Mary Pat now.  

This. A thousand times this. Thanks for saying it. I was stoked that they had a woman in that situation refuse to allow any euphemism or double-speak regarding his unthinkable bullshit, and just keep saying rape, watching him get more uncomfortable and enraged with each repetition. I was briefly worried for her safety being alone with him, though--for the whole run of this show, he's been one of the characters that most disturbs me. He is a fucking rapist, and there have been no repercussions for that...until now.

Second, third, eightyth, etc. all the calls for renewal. I want to see what happens next! I will admit, though, that I can't quite decide who I'd prefer Beth to shoot (if anyone)...

Truly loved Annie and her ex being reasonable and genuinely putting Sadie's best interests first. Having been through a nightmarish custody battle in the (long) past, that bit made me a little verklempt.

• Love 17
(edited)

In fairness to Ruby, Stan is an idiot.  I still can't believe he just accepted her secret shopper explanation when she suddenly had thousands of dollars in cash lying around.  Unless we are really supposed to think he is a moron, I have to believe he knew Ruby was up to something sketchy, but didn't want to know what it was. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 9

That was a hell of a cliffhanger. I think Beth will end up shooting Dean in an uncalculated move because she still has [fake] cancer ringing in her ears. I wonder if Mary Pat will be brought into the fold now since she's positioned herself as the enemy of their enemy.

And even though this episode had so much serious business going on, it still managed to make me laugh, especially when Beth told the shoppers to pretend they were napping. Called back to her talking about Doc McStuffins during the last robbery.

• Love 5

I think that Stan will come around, at least enough to try and work with Ruby somehow. It had to have been a massive shock to realize that the woman he has been in such close partnership with would commit a crime and lie so blatantly to him, especially after being so supportive of him being a cop. Her support was genuine, but this does put him in a terrible position. He may also be embarrassed about believing her story, which just adds to the bad feeling, so at the moment he's reactive. Her actions ultimately saving their daughter will factor in, in time.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I know a lot of people ship Beth and Rio

Oh, I don't "ship" them. I find the actor and actress attractive, and think that they were cast that way for a reason. I love that these girls exist independent of their men. Every time I have said they should hook up, I meant because the actor is sexy. Not because the character is a good match for Beth.

• Love 11