Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Good Girls

Recommended Posts

I didn’t like the dumpster scene. 

The whole plot is so unrealistic but I stick with it because it’s fun and stupid for now. But Annie’s stupidity is really stretching it- leaving the receipts out in the open when you have a one night stand coming over?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, definitely stupid to keave the receipt lying around.  But why would he think taking it would prevent her from calling him again? It’s 2018, obviously the number would be in her cell.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

Yes, definitely stupid to keave the receipt lying around.  But why would he think taking it would prevent her from calling him again? It’s 2018, obviously the number would be in her cell.

This show has such huge plot holes yet somehow it’s the little ones like this that make me want to give up on the show.

Share this post


Link to post

It's not the unbelievable and stupid plot or Annie's Annie-ness that's getting to me, it's Beth. Just Beth in general. I straight-up hate her.

And yet the one thing that's really keeping me coming back is the possibility of Rio/Beth.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Does anyone remember Nancy and Guillermo from Weeds? That's what the whole Beth/Rio dynamic reminds me of and I just love it! I always wanted Nancy and Guillermo to hook up.

I came here just to say that Beth gives me some real Nancy Botwin vibes...and I am ALL ABOUT IT!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/26/2018 at 11:03 PM, incandescent said:

God, that Beth can lie her ass off. Damn.

They say the best lies have a bit of truth in them, and hers was half truth and half "God, I wish this was true."

On 3/26/2018 at 11:17 PM, chocolatine said:

Beth is going to bang both Rio and the FBI agent, isn't she?

If wanting Beth to go to the bone zone with one or both of these guys is wrong, I don't want to be right.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/27/2018 at 4:00 PM, BusyOctober said:

The money laundering thing has sooo many unreal facets, it's hard to pick on one.  However here's the one that popped in my head immediately.  If I buy $3k-$5k worth of products at a store with cash, first- way to call attention to yourself.  Second, most stores have a policy for cash return that large; the store will send a corporate check to you in a few days.  They DO NOT clear out all the cash registers to give you your $5k back. 

 

On 3/27/2018 at 4:56 PM, JasmineFlower said:

@BusyOctober I'm glad we're on the same page. There are so very many things that go into getting a return when it's cash, especially one that is a large amount. And to just hand over thousands from a single register like it's no biggie was laughable. I was truly flabbergasted watching that scene, because from where I'm sitting, it's like the show thought they were selling a plausible front. Not to me they weren't.

 

23 hours ago, STOPSHOUTING said:

This show is bonkers unbelievable, to the extent that would put me off most any other show, and it's only the three leads, all of whom are fabulous, that are keeping me in and, shockingly, fairly entertained. [snip]

Their shopping scheme is terrible. I'm not much of a criminal mastermind myself, but I clocked the flaws in 30 seconds of consideration, so shocked they wouldn't, too. Everything from large cash purchases raising flags to the fact that even returns with receipts require ID, 9 times out of 10, and that chain stores databases are nationally linked, so shopping out of town is no solution. Too many returns from any individual will ALWAYS flag even the most generous policies, as will telling some long, drawn out story, or reporting an employee—both of which make you all too memorable. Also, you know, clear security footage of them across various stores is undoubtably gonna set off alarm bells, so shopping "out of the area" is hardly a safeguard. And why on god's green earth weren't they, at the very least, just buying a single, high dollar item—like the most expensive TV in the place—and then just returning that, vs 75 smaller things. Clearly, way more believable.

Oh and, yeah, no store turns around and hands you $5,000 cash, even if you paid that way, because they don't keep that much in registers. It would be a huge risk. At best, you'd later get a check, after it went through corporate accounting, where it would also undergo increased scrutiny.

Right?  I mean, I'm probably more willing than most to handwave a lot of stuff for the sake of entertainment, but the sheer stupidity of the "BUY ALL OF THE THINGS...RETURN ALL OF THE THINGS" approach to money laundering bugged me.  Walking into a store and buying FIVE gigantic teevees, each retailing for $5K?  Not exactly flying under the radar, there, Annie.  Ruby's approach, buying multiple smaller appliances, was marginally better...BUT ALL AT THE SAME STORE?  Honey, no.  They need to spread their "business" out, rotate stores, wait a couple of weeks before making the returns, shop and return at different hours of the day, and for the love of god, spend MUCH less on each "shopping" trip!

I'm hanging in there because I like the three leads and I kind of find Beth's attraction to the dark side (and Rio, ahem) fascinating; I want to see how far she's willing to go.  I'd also like to see Dean get what's coming to him, and I'm invested in Ruby's daughter's story.   

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

This show has such huge plot holes yet somehow it’s the little ones like this that make me want to give up on the show.

I think it was Sir Terry Prachett who pointed out that people will believe the big lies but no the little ones.  (They're also all kinds of stupid, laundering way too fast, among other issues.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/27/2018 at 2:48 PM, Empress1 said:

I know Beth was in her feelings because of her husband when she lashed out at Annie for sleeping with a married guy, but it's really not the same thing as her husband's assistant. Annie didn't know the electronics guy was married, and she wasn't happy about it when she found out. She didn't seek him out. He hit on her, she was bored and lonely, and she went for it. How would she know?

I think they're going to different big box stores, hence the map that Beth laid out - and they better, because the same women returning big-ticket items for cash is going to raise some eyebrows.

Also, the biggest flaw in the plan for me is that I literally can't remember the last time I got cash for a return. It must happen somewhere - I remember watching Intervention and a lot of the addicts were running scams where they returned stolen items for cash - but I truly can't remember the last time I got cash back. I remember asking a cashier at Macy's "I have to get store credit for $7?" when I returned something I'd gotten as a gift that had since gone on sale. And she said yes, and I got store credit for $7. I can't imagine getting back tens of thousands in cash.

Kohl's gave me cash today for a return that I originally paid for with my debit card.  Of course it was for $26.  Target and some of the office supply stores charge a 25% restocking fee on electronics.  I should know.   My husband has been banned at times for taking too many things back at Best Buy.  He  buys electronics and decides he doesn't like them.  I told him he should work for consumer reports.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Kohl's gave me cash today for a return that I originally paid for with my debit card.  Of course it was for $26.  Target and some of the office supply stores charge a 25% restocking fee on electronics.  I should know.   My husband has been banned at times for taking too many things back at Best Buy.  He  buys electronics and decides he doesn't like them.  I told him he should work for consumer reports.

I worked at Best Buy while in college in 1996-1997. Any cash purchase return over $100 was issued in a mailed corporate check. I highly doubt that has changed in 20 years as fraud perpetrators have gotten more sophisticated. Stores don't have tens of thousands of dollars on hand.

But handwaving...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I worked at Best Buy while in college in 1996-1997. Any cash purchase return over $100 was issued in a mailed corporate check. I highly doubt that has changed in 20 years as fraud perpetrators have gotten more sophisticated. Stores don't have tens of thousands of dollars on hand.

But handwaving...

I was eavesdropping at Target today while standing in line to return a bunch of stuff. They nicely took back $150 worth of shirts and gave me cash. But next to me, two people were told they reached some sort of corporate limit for cash returns and could only receive store credit even though they were only trying to return $12 of merch today. Not sure if it's linked to the credit card or the driver's license. The Good Girls might be working around that limit by paying in cash. They can also avoid the corporate limit by traveling around the country and shop/returning at regional big box stores. 

It's still early enough that this can be worked into the show. I wouldn't be surprised if next week they have to find a new tactic because Cloud 9 (I love that crossover btw!!!) flags the three of them and stops accepting their returns. With the rate this show is moving, it seems like there is a different crime in every episode. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

I worked at Best Buy while in college in 1996-1997. Any cash purchase return over $100 was issued in a mailed corporate check. I highly doubt that has changed in 20 years as fraud perpetrators have gotten more sophisticated

At least according to Best Buy's website, they will refund in cash up to $800.00.   

I really do like Christina Hendricks and Retta.  They keep me coming back.  I would be fine if Mae Whitman was written off the show.  I view her as the weak link of the three. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Overwhelmed by the sheer volume of work their new enterprise demands, the ladies decide to outsource. While their business flourishes, the women's personal lives spiral: Dean confronts Beth about her association with Rio, Stan discovers Ruby's been lying to him about her employment at the diner, and Annie's conscience catches up with her.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:59 PM, Sharonana said:

Definitely not made for prime time TV. It kinda/sorta presents itself as a fun comedy. I can imagine some kids watching this with their parents and they come upon this scene, then scramble to turn off the TV. Oh the questions! Ha! Glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

THIS! My son was begging to watch this; I have a 13 and 7 year old. I ASSUMED that since it was network, it would be ok.  We put it on HULU and I was silently praying they'd hurry up with that scene.  But then, the final scene with the rape was too much.  We quickly turned it off and deemed it an "after hours" show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/27/2018 at 12:34 PM, iMonrey said:

Does Beth actually have the hots for Rio? Maybe it's just me but I'd never sleep with a guy who had a giant eagle tattoo across his entire neck. Plus he's a violent criminal - where's the attraction? Just the danger? I don't find the actor/character believably appealing. 

It could be because he looks at her like he wants to throw her on the table right there. If her sex life has dried up having someone lusting after you could be very appealing.

Ruby and her husband are by far the best part of this show. The very real panic of looking for the pills and then the gentle talk with their daughter coupled with the family teasing made my heart melt. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

How hard is it to understand what "flip my game" means? Did the girls think Rio was going to give them a Harvard Business School lecture outlining all his criminal activities?

I hope there's a twist in the next couple of episodes that reveals Boomer's grandmother as a criminal mastermind and Rio's boss.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I'm loving this show but every time they rip off another Cloud 9 store I think about the poor characters on Superstore getting laid off left and right.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I wondered about so much cash. I suppose they could have multiple bank accounts to avoid questions about large deposits -- or they're not depositing at all. As for taxes... I'd guess they don't plan to report it.

I half enjoy this show. The other half is in a state of anxiety throughout. I mean, I freak out whenever someone on a show sneaks into an office or somewhere to look through a desk or file cabinet, for worrying that they'll be caught. This one ups that feeling exponentially. It keeps getting riskier and riskier.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, justmehere said:

As for taxes... I'd guess they don't plan to report it.

That could become a problem for Ruby if Stan still believes that she has started a legitimate business by the time they have to do their taxes. He would be suspicious if she doesn't report any income from that business. But reporting income from a non-existant business would make the government suspicious.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Whenever I watch this show there's a little voice in the back of my head wondering, "Who's gonna be the first casualty, to signify that Shit Got Real?" I hope it's Boomer. Better not be Stan.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, paulvdb said:

That could become a problem for Ruby if Stan still believes that she has started a legitimate business by the time they have to do their taxes. He would be suspicious if she doesn't report any income from that business. But reporting income from a non-existant business would make the government suspicious.

He should be suspicious already that she has made over $20,000 in cash over a few weeks in this new business of secret shopping. Come on, he is suppose to be a cop and no one is making that much money in cash.

I have a question about Rio's counterfeit scheme? How is he getting away with it. Did he rob the US mint in order to print his own money. His fake money is able to fool the marker and the machines. I have worked several years in the banking industry and I was able to tell what was fake money from real money. US currency is made of a special material than regular paper and it feels different. Anyone who handles a high volume in cash is going to notice the difference especially if they compare real cash against fake cash by touching both. It is extremely obvious. And we are to assume that they buy all these high end materials hundreds of fake money.

The stores would eventually realize that they have been receiving hundred of thousands dollars in fake currency. Especially when they made their deposits at the banks. Are we to also assume that the banks won't be able to tell the difference. 

It would have made more sense if the ladies were actually laundering real money obtain from Rio's other illicit businesses than this so-called super counterfeit money.

I wonder if they are going to use the car dealership in order to wash the money now that the husband has stumbled into the truth.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

The kid-friendly rendition of "Lodi Dodi" that Ruby and her family did was THE CUTEST. Their little boy is adorable. And I died when Ruby said "You can't just offer a bitch a mini-muffin and invite her into a life of crime!"

I was wondering when Ruby's husband was going to figure out she wasn't going to work. That's a really easy lie to bust - he goes by the diner for a cup of coffee/visit and it's "what do you mean, she hasn't worked here in weeks."

40 minutes ago, nilyank said:

He should be suspicious already that she has made over $20,000 in cash over a few weeks in this new business of secret shopping. Come on, he is suppose to be a cop and no one is making that much money in cash.

I have a question about Rio's counterfeit scheme? How is he getting away with it. Did he rob the US mint in order to print his own money. His fake money is able to fool the marker and the machines. I have worked several years in the banking industry and I was able to tell what was fake money from real money. US currency is made of a special material than regular paper and it feels different. Anyone who handles a high volume in cash is going to notice the difference especially if they compare real cash against fake cash by touching both. It is extremely obvious. And we are to assume that they buy all these high end materials hundreds of fake money.

The stores would eventually realize that they have been receiving hundred of thousands dollars in fake currency. Especially when they made their deposits at the banks. Are we to also assume that the banks won't be able to tell the difference. 

It would have made more sense if the ladies were actually laundering real money obtain from Rio's other illicit businesses than this so-called super counterfeit money.

I wonder if they are going to use the car dealership in order to wash the money now that the husband has stumbled into the truth.

Word, secret shopping pays like $16 an hour. Clearing $20K in cash a matter of weeks should always raise eyebrows.

So Beth just let Dean in on her secret? Dean, who is not the sharpest knife in the drawer? These women are not good at crime. Also, was that a real oncologist? I'm going to assume not, because what oncologist is going to do all that for a used Buick? An oncologist can afford a Buick on his own. Hell - he can afford a Cadillac on his own. Oncology is one of the highest-paid specialties.

I don't know if I understand what's going on between Annie and Marion, but they're cute. (Who is Gloria, who just had her sixth kid?) 

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

41 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I don't know if I understand what's going on between Annie and Marion, but they're cute. (Who is Gloria, who just had her sixth kid?) 

Marion has a bajillion children/grandchildren; Gloria is one of them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Nothing on this show happens for no reason so now I'm wondering how Ruby buying that candy bar will bite them in the butt

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Boofish said:

Nothing on this show happens for no reason so now I'm wondering how Ruby buying that candy bar will bite them in the butt

Ruby has the best lines. "OH MY GOD I LITERALLY DO NOT CARE." [beat] "You gave me nougat?"

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Ruby has the best lines. "OH MY GOD I LITERALLY DO NOT CARE." [beat] "You gave me nougat?"

Ruby and Stan are the only reason I don't want them to get caught

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

And I died when Ruby said "You can't just offer a bitch a mini-muffin and invite her into a life of crime!"

And then when they had the housewives over she offered one a mini-muffin.

But still . . . c'mon. Inviting other people into their scheme and still expecting to keep it secret and pay them and make a profit? I know this whole thing is just supposed to be a comedic farce but they are really straining credibility here. It's hard enough for me to believe they can keep buying $20 grand worth of merchandise then return it and expect that back in cash. Now all these other people are doing it too and the stores aren't catching on? 

I missed the opening scene - I got that Beth's husband bribed someone with a used car to pretend to be a doctor, but what did the guy tell Beth?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I missed the opening scene - I got that Beth's husband bribed someone with a used car to pretend to be a doctor, but what did the guy tell Beth?

The doctor said Dean had prostrate cancer and outlined the options for treatment - radiation, chemo, surgery, etc. Then Beth asked how much that was all going to cost.

As soon as I saw the security guard from the grocery store at the secret shoppers meeting, I knew he would mess things up for them. But how exactly did they manage to get back the 20k if they had to buy the items in order to return them? I could see the Costco-like store having lower prices than wherever the guard bought his stuff, so may might make back some of the money, but not possibly all of it...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

As soon as I saw the security guard from the grocery store at the secret shoppers meeting, I knew he would mess things up for them. But how exactly did they manage to get back the 20k if they had to buy the items in order to return them? I could see the Costco-like store having lower prices than wherever the guard bought his stuff, so may might make back some of the money, but not possibly all of it...

I think Beth was shopping to return like normal, while Annie had a whole shopping cart that she walked out of the store without paying.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Exactly. Beth was the diversion - Annie stole $20K worth of merch. Beth deliberately set off the alarm by not having the cashier scan the scarf she was wearing, so while the guard was busy with her and the alarm was still going, Annie just sailed right by with a cart full of crap. I actually thought that whole thing was pretty smart.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Exactly. Beth was the diversion - Annie stole $20K worth of merch. Beth deliberately set off the alarm by not having the cashier scan the scarf she was wearing, so while the guard was busy with her and the alarm was still going, Annie just sailed right by with a cart full of crap. I actually thought that whole thing was pretty smart.

Except now they won't be able to return any of that stuff without a receipt. We already know that Rio isn't going to take stolen goods instead of the cash that they owe him.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, paulvdb said:

That could become a problem for Ruby if Stan still believes that she has started a legitimate business by the time they have to do their taxes. He would be suspicious if she doesn't report any income from that business. But reporting income from a non-existant business would make the government suspicious.

Yeah, I don't think they think ahead much. They came up with a story for Stan because they needed one quickly and it fit with what they were telling the "second tier", but that is going to be a real problem.

1 hour ago, nilyank said:

Except now they won't be able to return any of that stuff without a receipt.

They have the receipt still from the security guy who got ripped off. They used it as a shopping list so that they could return exactly what he originally bought. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I always got the feeling that the IRS doesn't care where the money comes from, just that you report it so they can tax you on it (I know it's more complicated than that but having my ass handed to me by my tax returns this year has made the IRS a very one-note villain in my eyes). Although I guess if the illegal funds are only in cash and they're not depositing it, it's easier to hide? I don't know, how do the mobbed up among us pass off material goods they couldn't feasibly purchase based on their reported income?

I was surprised Beth came clean to Dean to quickly, and that she admitted she was still working for Rio and wasn't stopping. I guess it would be hard for him to get mad at her, since he's the one who put them in this situation to begin with (though she shares some of the blame for not paying attention to her family's finances).

Marion is a racist old bat but something about her friendship with Annie warms my heart. The problematic faves of friendship.

I really, truly hope hiding drugs in Annie's locker backfires on Boomer spectacularly. I just get a feeling that he's gonna be the patsy for all of this.

9 hours ago, Boofish said:

Nothing on this show happens for no reason so now I'm wondering how Ruby buying that candy bar will bite them in the butt

I was thinking the same thing...I racked my brain all episode to figure out how but came up with nothing.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I really, really love Ruby and Stan. 

How are they using this money to pay for things? A couple hundred dollars at the grocery store, sure.  But thousands of dollars worth of meds? I think the pharmacy gets suspicious if you pull out stacks upon stacks of Benjamins and banks have to report deposits over a certain amount. In the book 21 the biggest issue they had was not counting cards at casinos but how to use that money.

Edited by sab85
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I laughed so freaking hard at Ruby handing the lady a mini muffin after her ""You can't just offer a bitch a mini-muffin and invite her into a life of crime!" crack. She and Stan are by far the best part about this show. 

I really wish Annie's weasily co-worker/attempted rapist would have been killed in the first episode. Or he gets killed to show how the situation is getting serious. I cant stand that shit and how much time is spent on him. 

This scam seems like it was already on thin ice, but adding tons of unwilling accomplices into the mix is like driving a mack truck over melting ice. Something is going to give, sooner rather than later. 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Although I guess if the illegal funds are only in cash and they're not depositing it, it's easier to hide? I don't know, how do the mobbed up among us pass off material goods they couldn't feasibly purchase based on their reported income?

Quote

How are they using this money to pay for things? A couple hundred dollars at the grocery store, sure.  But thousands of dollars worth of meds? I think the pharmacy gets suspicious if you pull out stacks upon stacks of Benjamins and banks have to report deposits over a certain amount.

My husband and I are friends with another couple, he runs his own all cash business servicing restaurants and she stays at home with the kids. He literally gives her a pile of cash every week to take care of household expenses. I think they are mostly on the up and up - he has employees and an accountant who I’ve met who seemed enthusiastic about deductions but not overly shady. But they pay cash for everything I’ve ever seen them buy - restaurant/bar tabs, tickets etc. He told us that he has boxes full of small bills all over the house, sort of like you’d have a jar full of loose change from emptying your pockets every night. They also bought a house with mostly cash and the seller financed the rest instead of getting a bank mortgage. I suppose if you really wanted to cover stuff up you could get money orders and pay your mortgage/utilities etc. like that, too, instead of depositing the cash in your checking account and writing a check or paying online with your bank account. Money orders would also work for large amounts at the pharmacy. But yeah, Ruby and Stan are going to have an interesting discussion at tax time.

I’m really enjoying this show. I’m a younger sister who’s thankfully not as all over the place as Annie with an older sister who’s a LOT like Beth minus the criminal stuff, and their dynamic feels real to me. And I’m a big believer in suspending my disbelief - that sounded better in my head than it looks, but hopefully makes sense - so I’ve been able to handwave some things that I think are bothering others.

Edited by ktwo
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I couldn’t help thinking the guy who lost $20k worth of stuff actually kept it all for himself (or sold it) figuring “corporate”would just write it off.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I think the ladies are going to have to flip their game soon.... if they can crack that super complex code.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, ktwo said:

My husband and I are friends with another couple, he runs his own all cash business servicing restaurants and she stays at home with the kids. He literally gives her a pile of cash every week to take care of household expenses. I think they are mostly on the up and up - he has employees and an accountant who I’ve met who seemed enthusiastic about deductions but not overly shady. But they pay cash for everything I’ve ever seen them buy - restaurant/bar tabs, tickets etc. He told us that he has boxes full of small bills all over the house, sort of like you’d have a jar full of loose change from emptying your pockets every night. They also bought a house with mostly cash and the seller financed the rest instead of getting a bank mortgage. I suppose if you really wanted to cover stuff up you could get money orders and pay your mortgage/utilities etc. like that, too, instead of depositing the cash in your checking account and writing a check or paying online with your bank account. Money orders would also work for large amounts at the pharmacy. But yeah, Ruby and Stan are going to have an interesting discussion at tax time.

I’m really enjoying this show. I’m a younger sister who’s thankfully not as all over the place as Annie with an older sister who’s a LOT like Beth minus the criminal stuff, and their dynamic feels real to me. And I’m a big believer in suspending my disbelief - that sounded better in my head than it looks, but hopefully makes sense - so I’ve been able to handwave some things that I think are bothering others.

You can pay your utilities with cash if you go to the physical location, and I've known a few people who were required to pay their rent in cash. I would imagine you can do the same with your mortgage - after all, Beth said she "took care of the mortgage" after their first deal with Rio. I'm getting a kick out of the idea of plunking down stacks to pay off my student loans, although I don't know how I would do that.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, ktwo said:

My husband and I are friends with another couple, he runs his own all cash business servicing restaurants and she stays at home with the kids. He literally gives her a pile of cash every week to take care of household expenses. I think they are mostly on the up and up - he has employees and an accountant who I’ve met who seemed enthusiastic about deductions but not overly shady. But they pay cash for everything I’ve ever seen them buy - restaurant/bar tabs, tickets etc. 

I think if you have a legitimate cash business it is considered much less suspicious if you start plunking down large amounts of cash. I know bar owners that make large bank deposits every week and no one blinks cause they know where the cash is coming from. In that way Dean could actually be a huge assest to them,  used cars are often bought and sold for cash.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, sab85 said:

I think if you have a legitimate cash business it is considered much less suspicious if you start plunking down large amounts of cash. I know bar owners that make large bank deposits every week and no one blinks cause they know where the cash is coming from. In that way Dean could actually be a huge assest to them,  used cars are often bought and sold for cash.

The bank still reports the transactions. Even though the business can legitimately justify the cash transactions, the bank is required to report those transaction. And the IRS will monitor the history and amounts of those transactions. Cash businesses have been used in the past to launder money for criminal and terrorist organizations, so they would be closely monitored by the IRS and other law enforcement agencies.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

So what happens around tax time when they have to show where all that money came from?

Guess they'll have open a car wash. #breakingbadforever

Quote

I really, truly hope hiding drugs in Annie's locker backfires on Boomer spectacularly. I just get a feeling that he's gonna be the patsy for all of this.

There's probably a security camera in there that he doesn't know about and he'll be seen planting those drugs. But push comes to shove, the ladies should just tell Rio that he's a problem to their enterprise and it'll get take care of permanently.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, sab85 said:

I think if you have a legitimate cash business it is considered much less suspicious if you start plunking down large amounts of cash. I know bar owners that make large bank deposits every week and no one blinks cause they know where the cash is coming from. In that way Dean could actually be a huge assest to them,  used cars are often bought and sold for cash.

It is always suspicious to plop down large amounts of cash when buying things (unless you are like 60+ years old). Legitimate cash businesses are registered with the state with bank accounts tied to them. None of the cash they are spending seems to have ever hit a bank period. Any large business that has been losing money for years (car lot where the owner has multiple loans out on the business and house) and the owner suddenly is paying bills again (with cash) without any increase in sales/profit is asking for an audit.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/4/2018 at 9:05 AM, deaja said:

I think the ladies are going to have to flip their game soon.... if they can crack that super complex code.

Beth has a 6-month plan!  (That will totally work and not have a zillion things go wrong.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Business is booming and the women are living large, but a threat from one of their employees remind them how violent Rio can be when pushed and threatens everything they have been working toward.  Meanwhile, Beth and Ruby both enjoy the shifting dynamics in their respective marriages.  Boomer carries out a malicious plot against Annie that puts her fight for custody in jeopardy. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/3/2018 at 2:20 PM, iMonrey said:

And then when they had the housewives over she offered one a mini-muffin.

But still . . . c'mon. Inviting other people into their scheme and still expecting to keep it secret and pay them and make a profit? I know this whole thing is just supposed to be a comedic farce but they are really straining credibility here. It's hard enough for me to believe they can keep buying $20 grand worth of merchandise then return it and expect that back in cash. Now all these other people are doing it too and the stores aren't catching on? 

It's too much for me. And they didn't invite others into their scheme, they are duping them, making criminals out of these unwitting teachers. Ignorance is not a valid defense in court and this mystery shopping setup is so fishy I doubt they'd get anywhere trying to convince people they didn't know everything wasn't on the up and up anyway. If mystery shopping paid so well, it would be all of our side gigs. 

So, I'm out. Love this cast, love the Ruby parts like the mini-muffin lines, and I wish I could love the show. But this is too much unbelievable nonsense for me while acting like they are being somewhat smart criminals, when they absolutely are not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm pretty sure the widow is the same woman who was on Brooklyn 99 Sunday. Weird seeing her play a baddie tonight. I was hoping Annie would ask Rio for the name of a good criminal lawyer.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think Annie wants Rio to know she is in legal trouble. He's using them because he thinks they are squeaky clean and someone the cops would never target.

 

I love this show so much. I know it is absurd but the 3 actresses sell it. I need them to shut down the widow though. 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size