Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I do have to say, I thought Annie leading into a reprise of Kevin Bacon's speech from Footloose was freaking hilarious.

I just watched Footloose the other day, so maybe that made it funnier but I loved it. 

• Love 7

I'm starting to get whiplash watching this show. So many plot twists and swerves coming full force. Too bad they didn't make it this interesting before they got cancelled.

Gee Stan, you mean working with the creepy misogynistic cult to bring down your wife's best friend's criminal enterprise of which your wife is a willing participant turned out to be a bad idea? I'm shocked, shocked I say.  

Yeah, I was hoping Stan was deliberately cozying up to those guys to get them off Dean and the good girls (mostly Ruby). It's absurd to me that he didn't see it coming that they'd tell him he has to do their bidding now that he and Dean have given them blackmail-able evidence. Or at least keep them from trying to back away from the cult. Surely Stan knows extortion is illegal and as a former cop has dealt with criminal enterprises masquerading as do-gooders.

• Love 5

I haven't seen Footloose in awhile (though it is one of the '80s classics, so shame on those of you who haven't seen it, lol) but almost as soon as Annie started speaking, I cracked up laughing.  They really teed that homage up perfectly and it was instantly recognizable to anyone who has seen the movie.  Annie using that speech was SO Annie and eye-rollingly ridiculous (thank you, Ruby) that I couldn't help laughing at its absurdity.  Moments like that are what keep me watching, despite the WTFery of the rest of the glaring plot holes and bad writing.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm starting to get whiplash watching this show. So many plot twists and swerves coming full force. Too bad they didn't make it this interesting before they got cancelled.

Yeah, I was hoping Stan was deliberately cozying up to those guys to get them off Dean and the good girls (mostly Ruby). It's absurd to me that he didn't see it coming that they'd tell him he has to do their bidding now that he and Dean have given them blackmail-able evidence. Or at least keep them from trying to back away from the cult. Surely Stan knows extortion is illegal and as a former cop has dealt with criminal enterprises masquerading as do-gooders.

2 minutes ago, HighQueenEB said:

I haven't seen Footloose in awhile (though it is one of the '80s classics, so shame on those of you who haven't seen it, lol) but almost as soon as Annie started speaking, I cracked up laughing.  They really teed that homage up perfectly and it was instantly recognizable to anyone who has seen the movie.  Annie using that speech was SO Annie and eye-rollingly ridiculous (thank you, Ruby) that I couldn't help laughing at its absurdity.  Moments like that are what keep me watching, despite the WTFery of the rest of the glaring plot holes and bad writing.

I am a little angry that there have been tons of compelling shows around bad men ( Tony Soprano, Walter White, and Dr. House) yet the writers could not do anything with this show once they lost the "lovable moms who are just down on their luck" angle.

I don't have to like the characters in order for this to be a good show. I lost sympathy for all the characters once Lucy was shot in cold blood.

Instead, the plot points are just beyond stupid and nothing makes any sense.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, qtpye said:

I lost sympathy for all the characters once Lucy was shot in cold blood.

I think this was the turning point for the show. I get why it was necessary—until then, we hadn't seen Rio's true ruthlessness—but the show didn't deal with it properly.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I think this was the turning point for the show. I get why it was necessary—until then, we hadn't seen Rio's true ruthlessness—but the show didn't deal with it properly.

I agree, that that scene turned a corner. But I don't know how the show could have dealt with it any better when these three women have already proven themselves to be the three most important people in the universe, and even the death of an innocent was not going to change that. I always thought mom groups were terrifying, but these women took it to a new level of tidying up and keeping everything "Just so." They felt bad about Lucy for about an hour, and then came clean-up. She was still ultimately disposable to them. At least Rio had been clear from the start about who he was. The girls still think they are good guys! So gross. There is nothing more terrifying than a bad person thinking they are still a "good guy." 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:56 PM, qtpye said:

Surely Stan knows extortion is illegal and as a former cop has dealt with criminal enterprises masquerading as do-gooders

He could have called it out before he was guilty of it. Thanks to Ruby, he has a daughter on stolen meds who is still alive (although they dropped those details about how that is still being paid for, didn't they?), thanks to her criminal acts, and once he stole from evidence he went down with her. Every extortion he has faced involved his own acts, trying to keep up with Ruby.

This show does seem hell bent on the theory that every man with a decent long term plan is working for the bad guys. The rest are lost puppies peeing in the hot tub. That impossible hot tub in the dining room... Sigh.

The men being clueless was cuter before the women became clueless, too. The gimmick is so convoluted now, I'd like to see everyone go to jail, with Rio waving at them in the end. There are no good guys, but the whole purpose of this was supposed to be smart crime , and that went out the window. At least let somebody escape the net. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Annie is so damn needy. Maybe this one will work out, but I doubt it. I feel sorry for Ben, but I think he'll be fine in the end once he gets away from family.

Two eps next week and we're finally done. Mostly hate-watching for completion. Here's my ending for this fiasco:

Ruby and Stan figure things out, leave the area and start over.

SS Phoebe manages to get back in the agency. Don't give a shit about the guy.

Beth shoots Rio in the head and he is "really most sincerely dead." No one misses him and he winds up sleeping with the fishes or in a wood chipper. I don't care.

Dean breaks house arrest and hits the slammer along with pyramid scheme bros. Beth gets elected and actually does clean up the city.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

With only 2 eps left, why are we having to spend time with Dean’s misogynistic biker gang? Dean is a stupid sap who jus now is becoming suspicious of this bro band of bullshit artists?  I am not really invested in this show anymore, so I certainly don’t need to delve into the sad, pathetic lives of yet more fringe characters.  I don’t care about Annie’s ex’s wife and her financial woes either.  Or the homeless roommate/convenient hookup partner.

The only characters I feel anything for is the kids.  I wish Family Services could sweep in and collect Beth’s 4 kids (if they could even find all of them- one or more is always missing from the house) and let Dean’s mother raise them.  Ruby’s kids would be better off with the strippers or the (not really) kidney donor couple. Ben seems to be in the best position to succeed, so hopefully he realizes he will always be the adult who has to take care of his immature mom and all of her bad life choices.

We left the realm of reality a long time ago with this show, but how would Beth and Tattooed Henchman get away with what they did to Beth’ soon to be ex-running mate?  Even if the lady was scared, she has a husband and kids who will see the destruction and question what the hell happened.  The entire dining room being destroyed can’t be explained away with “ Oh, clumsy mommy was dusting and I tripped into the china cabinet…whoopsie!”  Her husband could go to the cops.   Again, not invested, but these idiotic plot devices irk me.

• Love 7

Did anyone notice that in the scene with Beth and the 2 FBI agents in the hotel the cameras very very very deliberately did not have Christina Hendricks and Jonathan Silverman in the same frame?  LOL.  Another actor on your shit list, Christina?

• Love 1
(edited)

Of course Breckin Mayer's character is all talk and does nothing to stand up to his own wife. And the guy who posed as a DA is a barista. What a pathetic group of losers!

So now we know how much power Rio actually has, which is very little. It's a good thing the show is ending, because there's no story left for Rio, other than potentially going on a murder/suicide spree taking out Nick and the girls, and that being how the show ends.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6

Seeing how Breckin Meyer’s (for the life of me I have no idea wtf the character’s name is) was treated by his wife explains SO much about why he’s such a petty dictator with the MLM guys. Still don’t care what happens to him, though. As far as I’m concerned he could go the way of Lucy and it would be no great loss to the world. And why the hell did he tell Dean this barista guy was a DA? Just what game is he playing here? Will it turn out his buddy isn’t a real lawyer, either?

Speaking of Breckin Meyer, I’d thought he and Matthew Lillard were teenagers in the ‘90s from the roles they played back then, but IMDB says he was born in 1974 so he’s 47 now and Lillard, 1970, so he’s 51! So in their late 20s/early 30s they were playing teenagers. Mind blown.

Nice seeing Ever Carradine—I hadn’t seen her in anything for a while, except one episode of The Good Doctor, before she showed up on this show—but wow, Denise is a massive bitch. Even so, she didn’t deserve to have her house busted up like that.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

Nice seeing Ever Carradine—I hadn’t seen her in anything for a while, except one episode of The Good Doctor, before she showed up on this show—but wow, Denise is a massive bitch. Even so, she didn’t deserve to have her house busted up like that.

She's been on The Handmaid's Tale.

1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

Speaking of Breckin Meyer, I’d thought he and Matthew Lillard were teenagers in the ‘90s from the roles they played back then, but IMDB says he was born in 1974 so he’s 47 now and Lillard, 1970, so he’s 51! So in their late 20s/early 30s they were playing teenagers. Mind blown.

Interesting.  I think Breckin's most famous role is Clueless in 1995 so 21 isn't that far off.  I really like the movie "Senseless" where Matthew plays a college student and again, 28 isn't that far off so I guess it's not that blatant to me.  I assume he was a high schooler in his more famous roles though.

This show really does take place in a fantasy world, like the entire universe bends to the will of Beth...which I suppose it does, as she's the main character, but they could make it a bit less obvious. Why would Denise not just call the cops, especially if she law enforcement are such close buddies? How will she explain this to her family? Beth wants to get rid of someone, so now she's rid of. Someone in the police force is trying to take Beth down? Some Deus Ex Machina shows up to stop them or Beth ends up teaming up with them and feeds the cops someone else who has gotten on Beth's nerves. Its just ridiculous the amount of time the show has spent turning itself into knots to continue justifying its own existence and the fact that its main character are not dead or in jail. 

Of course the head of the woman hater pyramid scheme cult is bossed around at home by his harpy wife and his supposedly all powerful organization is a big joke, Dean is even more of an idiot than usual for falling for their crap. He and Stan are both morons for ever buying into their crap or for thinking that this could work out for them. Oh wow, you mean the creepy cultists who's whole philosophy seems to be about complaining about women and terrible skin products might end up leaving your wives your screwing over and your whole family in a bad place? 

This episode didn't have one good scene in it, the only people I even feel sympathetic towards anymore are the poor kids. No wonder Beth's son is acting out, both of his parents are too busy being petty power tripping assholes to pay any attention to him. Meanwhile, Stan and Ruby have put their own issues way above their own kids, and Ben continues to be by far the most mature person on the show by a mile and who's life can only be improved by not being around his messy family. 

• Love 10

This show really does take place in a fantasy world, like the entire universe bends to the will of Beth...which I suppose it does, as she's the main character, but they could make it a bit less obvious.

Absolutely. It got me thinking that the show might could redeem itself in the end by revealing that the whole thing was Beth's dream or nightmare, or that it all took place in a snow globe.

Said it before and I'll say it again: I hope this mess convinces TPTB in Hollywood that CH should not be the lead of any TV series. If she continues working it should be as a character actress. At this point I have to wonder if CH looked at the way Julianna Margulies and her ego flamed out on The Good Wife and said "hold my beer."

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

I am So Confused!  The whole story was about Beth having a death wish?  The scenes in Las Vegas were just a Dream?  Why was Annie the only one who was arrested?  Dean left Beth & Stan left Ruby?  After 4 seasons, I dont know what this show was all about!

• Love 18

I missed most of the first episode tonight, but even if I saw it I think I Would still be super confused. Did Beth set Annie up?  Is that the “sibling rivalry” that the Feds were talking about but they wanted us to think it was about Rio and cousin/brother?  This is up there with Lost in horrible and confusing endings. 

• Love 10

I’m really glad to see I’m not the only one utterly baffled by this ending. Even as just a season finale this was nonsense, I would have been less confused if it ended with Beth waking up to find Rio in her shower telling her it was all a dream, or Annie starring into a snow globe with the quickie mart they robbed in it after sustaining brain damage. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8

Guess the writers wanted to go out in the same craptastic fashion they used to ruin this show.  What started as an interesting premise turned into a flaming pile of dog poop. 

Of all the people Beth fucked over in her decent from bored housewife to horrible narcissist, I would have had Lucy show up in Beth’s “fever dream”m not Andre McCarthy’s assassin guy.  Lucy was so innocent, her face is who Beth should be warned/haunted by.

Good bye and good riddance, Good Girls.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

So….when the 3 ladies were discussing the gun that Beth was shot with, they said it had Beth’s prints, but the Secret Service said they didn’t care about that.  So why was Annie taken away in cuffs?   What other crime was linked to that gun?  

Ruby was shown packing in the last scene or unpacking? 

Dean left Beth, but did the kids stay with her?

So, Rio setup the city manager…don’t know his name, but he had threatened Beth earlier.  So, he was in jail saying he would get out of jail…they couldn’t make it stick…so, that means Rio did this to frame that guy?…..

• Love 6

I came here because I was confused so I guess I’m in the same boat. 

Why did Annie have to go away to prison? Where were Annie’s prints on the gun from? 

Best thing I can say is that I hope Ruby and Stan left. 

No way did Beth deserve that ending. She didn’t deserve to remain standing after everything. And no way was she smart or cunning enough to be a boss. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Good. Everyone else is confused, too. None of this really made much sense, but at least it's over even if it ended on a WTF?!?! note.

I knew the Nevada scenes were a total dream. None of that was even remotely realistic. Although the bit with Ben not being able to use the boys' locker room really hit a home run.

I'm thinking Annie got arrested for the Canadian thing like she sorta agreed to? So, Canadian prison? Maybe?

Rio working for Beth and dressing like a regular guy? Not very likely.  Sheesh. They both should be dead,

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)

I am so lost. Um wtf? 

Couldnt they film a few more episodes that actually made sense for Peacock or nbc.com?

I’m sad that a show with such great talent, a good premise turned in to this mess. 

I loved hearing Blind melon at the end. I haven’t heard that song in years. 

Edited by LemonSoda
  • Love 3

The only thing I understood was that Beth, at least, wasn't going to be able to change things. Had they moved to Nevada, she'd get bored again with being a wife and mom stuck in that same rut she was in at the beginning.

Otherwise? I haz confused. But I also don't care. My long national nightmare of this show is finally over.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

I did get a laugh at the dream scene where the robber asked Beth if she wanted to die, because she was impervious to his threats and she says, Sort of…….lol.   

I’ve missed most of this season so maybe it would help if I watched every episode, but I just don’t think I’m up for it.  I may wait for the producers to explain it.  I bet they probably don’t know how to. 😟

• Love 6

I'm just as confused as everyone, but here's what I kinda understand.

Rio pulls out of whatever he was planning with Beth by not showing up to dinner with the 3 ladies.

She uses her win to out Rio's brother/cousin by having Annie and Ruby deliver packets of info to all the media outlets. 

Brother/Cousin gets caught and takes the fall for grandma (which I was surprised at because he seems like the type that would throw anyone under the bus to protect himself. He must really love granny.) Similarly, Rio makes a deal with the feds to help them get a solid case on brother/cousin.

But brother/cousin is now pissed at Beth, cause obviously she was the one driving all of this, and he puts a "hit" on her. Except the "hit" was to deliver a non-lethal shot (cause tattooed dude wouldn't have missed, especially at such close range) and leave behind "evidence". Brother/Cousin knew Beth wouldn't name the shooter and wouldn't realize how this would come back and bite her in the ass.

Now here's where I get lost.....how in the hell did Annie's prints end up on the gun?!?!?! Granted, I hate watch this show and don't often pay close attention when it's on, but every time we've seen the gun, it's been Beth holding it, right???

tenor.gif  

Also Ruby, fuck Beth and leave with your family!!! Geez! When she said to Stan, "stop being his little bitch", I thought he was gonna reply, "Right after you stop being Beth's!"

• Useful 5
  • Love 14
(edited)

So I slept on it, and I still do not at all get what I just watched. Why was Annie being arrested? Did Ruby leave her family? Did Dean leave Beth? What will happen to any of their poor kids, the real victims in all of this? What happened with the cult? Why in the hell is Beth now the boss? Did Beth set Annie up? How did a show that started out with such an amazing cast and premise manage to fuck everything up so badly? Why did I feel the need to keep watching this shitshow until the bitter, bitter end? 

I knew right away that Nevada was a dream, it felt really weird and off from moment one, although Beth getting bored with her family and wanting to get back into crime is totally in character. She should just leave Dean, let him have custody of the kids already, and go off on a crime spree before she inevitably gets caught, as she has never been as smart as she thinks she is, and be done with it. Ruby and Annie would probably join her too, being her chief enablers who whine about what a pain this has all been but just keep digging themselves in deeper instead of getting out when they get the chance. Not that any character makes any sense on this show, everyone just does things because the plot needs them to. At least Beth is consistent in how horrible she is, even if she's still in denial about how much she loves breaking bad. 

Good things about the finale? The music was good, the show has always had a good soundtrack despite how bad the writing has gotten. The acting has always been solid until the very end. There were a few moments where they seemed to get close to being fun again with Beth's campaign, and some of the call backs to season one were kind of nice, but this was mostly an absolute mess, which is sadly what I expect from the show at this point. What a sad waste.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13

I thought it was Beth's prints on the gun? If they were Annie's, was that why she was arrested? I can't see Beth cooperating with the police on that, though.

The more I try to figure the details out, the more confused I get, LOL.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So….when the 3 ladies were discussing the gun that Beth was shot with, they said it had Beth’s prints, but the Secret Service said they didn’t care about that.  So why was Annie taken away in cuffs?   What other crime was linked to that gun?  

Beth only thinks the gun has her prints. Several episodes ago, Annie convinced Thug Guy to put her prints on the gun so Beth would never go down. Beth seems just cool with it, though.

It would have been better if Beth had been killed.

• Love 13

I have some very silly comments

1.  I hate Annie's hairdo, but consistently her hair always looks way too expensive for how much money she has.  

2.  Rio was only in 5 minutes of the first episode, and I had a HUGE GRIN on my face the ENTIRE TIME he was on.  This is just to explain to the people that hate Rio - he really has such a mesmerizing appeal for some people.  It's so weird!  

I will really miss him.  

15 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Good bye and good riddance, Good Girls.

Me deleting the series off my PVR

10 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I loved hearing Blind melon at the end. I haven’t heard that song in years. 

"Three is a Magic Number".  That was nice.

• Love 5

It looks like Ruby is struggling with getting her butt packed and joining her husband. The fact that I am not surprised she could stay is proof of their shitty marriage by the end.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve missed most of this season so maybe it would help if I watched every episode, but I just don’t think I’m up for it.  I may wait for the producers to explain it.  I bet they probably don’t know how to. 😟

The past two seasons have been one confusing "nightmare" as @dubbel zout put it.  After every episode I am left with questions and not good or fun ones.  I never know what is going on with the FBI.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought it was Beth's prints on the gun? If they were Annie's, was that why she was arrested? I can't see Beth cooperating with the police on that, though.

The more I try to figure the details out, the more confused I get, LOL.

Beth's prints were on the gun first.

THEN Annie's prints replaced them.

Annie knew this, but the other women didn't.

What I don't get is if the FBI said they didn't care about Annie shooting Beth (as they had assumed) how she got arrested.  She got arrested for the first crime that had her fingerprints on it -- is that Lucy's death?

Anyway, it would be very easy for a lawyer to prove that Annie didn't murder anyone and she was framed.  Gunpowder, Annie would have no knowledge how to shoot a gun, I don't know. No motive.  I'm just thinking out loud.

Even if Ruby could leave Stan, what about HER KIDS????????  How can she care about Beth that much??

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

count me in the disgusted by Beth club by the end of this season.  I liked Annie and Ruby and so wanted them to somehow get free and live decent lives.

It would have been interesting to see what Beth does next criminally, but alas, it's not to be.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Rio was only in 5 minutes of the first episode, and I had a HUGE GRIN on my face the ENTIRE TIME he was on.  This is just to explain to the people that hate Rio - he really has such a mesmerizing appeal for some people.  It's so weird!  

He’s very charismatic and has great presence. I’ve never considered myself a Brio person but I enjoy watching him. That moment last night on the bench when he touched her hair was sweet. 

Edited by LemonSoda
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, watch2much said:

It would have been interesting to see what Beth does next criminally, but alas, it's not to be.

I'd be more interested in seeing Annie and Ruby going to rehab to escape the cult of beth.  I'm sorry the gunman did not just kill her. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6