Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Count me in as another one glad this show was cancelled. I like most of the actors and I hope they move on to bigger and better things, but this show was just getting painful. I'll finish it out since there's only a few more, but then I'll be glad to be done with it. It was good in the first season, but I guess the writers/creators could not figure out what they wanted the show to be. 

Ruby and Stan have 2 kids, and Beth and Dean have 4. I'm guessing pandemic filming had something to do with us not seeing these other missing kids for a while, and just fewer episodes with the kids overall. Which is fine by me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I would've never guessed the Marley Purt Drive song was by the Bee Gees. They were really trying to effect that southern rock sound--by way of Australia it seems. Or cosplay The Band.

How long has it been since that guy Chris/Kevin has lived in a normal place? He seems almost feral.

Wow, that was one of the worst apologies ever. "I'm sorry that you feel I did something wrong"? Yikes.

If Annie's not careful she's going to have a squatter that she legally can't get rid of if there ever comes a time she wants him out.

Dean is mechanical genius apparently. Why can't he find a way to monetize that?

And now Dean is either an idiot or he's lost his mind. Why would he confess all that personal, illegal dirt to someone whose already proven to be trouble?

-----

There's no such thing as a free lunch, Dean. The "pro bono" lawyer is going to cost you in ways you did not imagine. And ugh on that MRA stuff. AFAIC those guys are just a bunch woman-haters with above average vocabularies.

Yeah, no, no, no. I'd be turning tricks behind a French restaurant before I ate anything out of a dumpster. That is beyond disgusting and I feel bad for people who have to do such things to survive.

So Beth is going to work Nick to get rid of Rio. Okay. Just throw something else against the wall to see how long it takes to slide down to the floor.

Re the show's cancellation, I hope this experience has convinced TPTB in Hollywood that CH can't lead a show. I get the same "doesn't play well with others" vibe with her that I got with Julianna Margulies as The Good Wife sank from the weight of its star's ego.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Marley said:

Unless CH is in charge of the writers and storylines I don’t get how she has sank the show.

Achieving playing both a bad guy and a sympathetic character is an art form. People rooted for Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad and Hugh Laurie in House. Heck, even Michael C. Hall in Dexter.  Beth leads the villian train in this one, and she has never actually bothered me (because criminals are assholes), but I don't think she has that draw that we are supposed to relate to. She doesn't have any dimension to her that overrides that she is doing because we never see  pain there. All I ever see is redhead got another bottle of whiskey. And she manages to both massively spoil her kids with bullshit crafts and massively neglect them from her presence, all while taking shots with her good girls and sleeping with her gang friend. It's too much. And the actress can't do those weird things other actors can to somehow make you not want to give up on them just yet. She is too stone cold.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

the actress can't do those weird things other actors can to somehow make you not want to give up on them just yet. She is too stone cold.

Which worked for her on Mad Men because part of the era of that show was women being restricted to defined roles and her character excelling despite it. Here I always felt like not only did Beth not like her life, CH didn't like portraying Beth's life.

• Love 6
(edited)

If you Google "manny montana christina hendricks" there are tooooonnnnnnnnnnns of fan theories about how the 3 main actors of Good Girls have tension with Manny.  I have no idea what's true or not.

But they certainly did torpedo Manny/Rio by having him kill Lucy.  And then they spent a whole 'nother season of Beth paying an assassin to kill Rio.  

I know that there are a lot of people who were hoping every day that Rio would die but there is also a huge portion of the fanbase that absolutely loves him.  There might even be fans (coughs me coughs) who only watch the show for him.  So......... who knows what was really going on!

I think the show did set out the destroy Rio and then somehow he just stayed on all season and I guess he pushed through to a point where he will just survive until the show is done.  Very odd storytelling, I gotta say.

Edited:  Reading all these fan theories I'm realizing I totally forgot that the writers actually DID "kill" Rio..... only to bring him back to life the next season.

If you are interested in the BTS drama, you can watch this interview.  The timestamp is between 17 minutes to 20 minutes in.  I can totally see why fans read into this because they go on and on about the actors they love (i.e. Alison Tolman) but they don't do that with Manny.  Retta seems especially vocal with hating Brio.  Christina is shit-talking Manny at 19:30 to be honest.  

https://www.92y.org/archives/nbcs-good-girls-christina-hendricks-retta-mae-whitman

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On 6/26/2021 at 9:02 PM, marceline said:

I feel like we've lost a couple of kids on this show. Didn't Stan and Ruby also have a son at the beginning?

They did, and he was absolutely adorable. He and his parents did a whole performance of "Lodi Dodi" to make the daughter feel better that was one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

And a chef at an upscale French restaurant! I really want to know how he ended up being a dumpster-diving hobo despite all of those accomplishments.

I assume it's voluntary - he's living a "freegan" lifestyle. 

I have lost the plot with this show - I'm still watching but I only have a baseline understanding of what's going on, and while I like all the leads except Matthew Lilliard (I've never taken to him), I'm not sorry the show has been cancelled.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, about that bts stuff, I think it was because CH felt that Rio was outshining Beth but the producers couldn't deny that he was responsible for a good chunk of the ratings. I see the other two good girls backing her up because they knew that's what side the bread was buttered on. And maybe they just liked her more.

IMO CH never showed anything remotely close to MM's charisma and the writers couldn't come up with scripts to compensate for the lacking. Plus, unfortunately I think she's somewhat self-conscious about her body and understandably resented having her character reduced to Rio's sexual play toy.

But the whole thing always smelled like some mean girls ish to me, with a possible side serving of racism. I think CH will have a tough time finding lead roles unless she goes into comedy or back into period dramas.

• Love 8

I had heard a bit about the BTS stuff, and I'm not sure what to believe.  I am inclined to believe women in these situations, but he's a man of color and it seems like there is some ganging up that happened here. BRio may be problematic, but Manny being fascinating in the role isn't, and the women have never seemed to give him his due b/c a good portion of ppl have probably kept watching partly due to him (I def have). 

I do know how I will react when I see these guys in shows later - If MM is in a show (part of the draw of this is because I adored him in Graceland), I'm probably going to check it out for him. Same with Rhetta b/c she's fantastic too.  I enjoyed CH in Mad Men, but I don't see her as having the depth to play a nuanced role like this (and I agree with those of you that said that it didn't seem like she liked playing it), so I will probably skip the show she lands next until there is something else that draws me in.  MW has always been reliable and does good work with whatever material she is given. 

• Love 9

Another beyond boring episode. I did like the return of tattoo guy, but everything else was a waste of an hour.

Oh, Stan. You really hate Beth that much you're joining Dean and his MRA pals? Ugh.

• Love 4
On 6/28/2021 at 9:54 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

If you are interested in the BTS drama, you can watch this interview.  The timestamp is between 17 minutes to 20 minutes in.  I can totally see why fans read into this because they go on and on about the actors they love (i.e. Alison Tolman) but they don't do that with Manny.  Retta seems especially vocal with hating Brio.  Christina is shit-talking Manny at 19:30 to be honest.  

https://www.92y.org/archives/nbcs-good-girls-christina-hendricks-retta-mae-whitman

I thought all three women were pretty disgusting and disrespectful in that interview. Christina is haughty, Rhetta is trashy, and Mae is obnoxious. I actually like all three as their characters better.

I agree that being snotty about Mannie calling her Chris was uncalled for. If you don't like it, tell him. I shorten people's names all the time as a sign of affection, and when someone says my full name, I correct them to a shorter version. People who use my full name don't know me well. Plus, it brings up my Daddy issues.

Heck, I have one syllable friends who I add to their name, also as a sign of affection. But never in a million years would I find it offensive if someone said "don't do that again." People have some strong feelings about their names, and her complaining in the video instead of to his face just seemed mean. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I actually thought this latest one "Family First" was a well produced episode.

Though, I didn't understand the machinations at the senior residence home.

It seems like almost no one has seen this episode yet so I'll use spoilers

Spoiler

I don't know Rio's thug's name.

But Rio's Thug (RT) takes care of that guy in the senior residence.  And I guess that nurse did something to him?  So RT beat him up as payback?  Is that what happened?  Because otherwise I don't get it.

Why did Annie cover for him?

God, Dean is such a megadork.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I missed two episodes because my DVR didn’t pick them up. I’m not shocked by the cancellation but still insulted that a show with such talent has been such a mess. If this is the best their writers can do maybe nbc should hire some of us? lol 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't know Rio's thug's name.

But Rio's Thug (RT) takes care of that guy in the senior residence.  And I guess that nurse did something to him?  So RT beat him up as payback?  Is that what happened?  Because otherwise I don't get it.

Why did Annie cover for him?

He stole from them. At least that's what tattoo guy told Annie. And she covered for him because she said she didn't want him to be arrested in front of his grandfather. Of course then it turned out that he wasn't actually tattoo guy's grandfather.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

He stole from them. At least that's what tattoo guy told Annie. And she covered for him because she said she didn't want him to be arrested in front of his grandfather. Of course then it turned out that he wasn't actually tattoo guy's grandfather.

Why did he feel the need to go to the senior residence that day?

• Love 2

I guess I’m missing something because I don’t see what’s so great about Rio or the actor who is portraying him. He’s an annoying character. I didn’t mind him at the beginning of the show but the writers fucked him up too. Beth and Rio as a pairing was interesting for a bit but I haven’t liked them as a pairing for a while. Everything they do together is so forced lately.

• Love 13

I hope that they manage to wrap things up before the show ends, even if its not very fulfilling. Considering how downhill the writing has been since the end of season one though, I cant imagine more time could have helped them give us a satisfying ending. 

This show has clearly made the brave choice of having me feel sympathy for almost none of the characters or making they particularly complex or funny to make up for their lack of sympathy. Its hard to root for Beth, who blew up her life and has gotten tons of people hurt or killed because of her midlife crisis and is nowhere near as smart as she thinks she is, or for Ruby and Annie, who just enable her, especially Annie who is a selfish hot mess. Its hard to root for Dean, who has always been an idiot but has now attached himself to these creepy woman hating pyramid scheme cultists, who are also terrible so even if taking Beth down isn't the worst thing ever you certainly cant root for these obvious villains. And now Stan is joining them to send Beth to jail, being an idiot who honestly thinks that Ruby will get off with a slap on the wrist for being a part of this crime spree, will be cool with him sending her best friend to jail, and is being obnoxiously condescending towards his wife. Obviously you cant really root for Rio and company, even as they have tried to humanize him a bit, he and his crew are still remorseless murderers as well as pretty stupid when it comes to running a criminal empire, usually picking being evil over being practical. They have sometimes had law enforcement that were kind of sympathetic, but most of them are dead or turned out to be corrupt, stupid, or unlikable, and almost every actually interesting character they didn't have a chance to ruin is gone. 

I mostly just feel bad for all of their kids, none of whom won the parental lottery. Even Ruby and Stan, previously the winners of the Best Parent Award by far, are falling apart. Ben continues to be by far the most likable and well adjusted person on the show. 

Surprisingly, as I am not normally a fan of her, I actually thought Annie's plot with the tattooed lackey was the best part of the episode. Tattoo lackey asked a very good question about how Beth has so many people who are ride or die for her, and Annie actually showed some quick thinking instead of her usually blathering. 

• Love 11

Did anyone else think that Mick (Rio's tattooed goon) has a crush on Annie based on how he looked at her when he dropped her off at her apartment building? I guess the idea of him committing "first-degree murder of [her] vagina" really got him going.

I know Annie is far from being mother of the year, but I thought it was cruel of Beth to tell Ben that Annie just ran off on a trip with a guy. If she wanted to go away for a couple of days she'd make sure that Gregg and/or Nancy are in town and arrange for Ben to stay with them.

Stan is supposed to be much smarter than Dean, so I hope he has a plan to con Breckin Meyer and isn't joining for the misogynist rhetoric.

• Love 9
(edited)
14 hours ago, Marley said:

I guess I’m missing something because I don’t see what’s so great about Rio or the actor who is portraying him. He’s an annoying character. I didn’t mind him at the beginning of the show but the writers fucked him up too. Beth and Rio as a pairing was interesting for a bit but I haven’t liked them as a pairing for a while. Everything they do together is so forced lately.

I don't like Rio, either, but friends of mine love him.

I don't mind the actor at all, though, and reading about these snippy comments, has left me not wanting to watch anymore. Unless he did something really fucked up - and I doubt that he did - the mean girl stuff is a real turn-off. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 8
(edited)

I hope they get a chance to kill off Beth before production ends. She needs to die like Breaking Bad, not get away with it at the expense of everything like Dexter. Stan is going to end up losing Ruby and Beth knows she will always be first choice. 

These are just the loneliest husbands in the world, lol. 

At least they referred to the children who are no longer showing up on set. They did still acknowledge the child count. 

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

These are just the loneliest husbands in the world, lol. 

I can sympathize with Stan, but not Dean. In all his blathering with his cult buddies plotting to get Beth thrown in prison, he’s VERY conveniently forgetting that he not only cheated on his wife multiple times but more to the point, HE set this whole thing in motion by getting his family into dire financial straits in the first place.

12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Stan is supposed to be much smarter than Dean, so I hope he has a plan to con Breckin Meyer and isn’t joining for the misogynist rhetoric.

I hadn’t thought of that, but it would be a very enjoyable twist. I was thinking he was just jumping on their bandwagon because he hates Beth. But he is smarter than that, and he has to know Ruby wouldn’t just get off with a slap on the wrist.

The whole Annie kidnapping plot was just meh. Wouldn’t care if she went the way of Lucy, except for Ben’s sake. He’s the best character on the show.

• Love 10

don't know how they would have progressed with this show.  maybe ultimately Beth taking over Rio and his brother/cousin's business.  I don't see a redemption path for her.  however, Dean being all righteous now is a joke.  his tanking of the auto dealership caused the initial money problems not to mention his cheating.  I always felt sorry for Stan....having to give up being a cop, etc.  

still I would have liked some sort of conclusion the the series. 

• Love 11
(edited)

And now Stan is teaching his daughter to keep the books for an illegal enterprise. The family that crimes together stays together, huh?

Seems to me Stan would suspect those cosmetics guys Dean is in with are shady if not straight up criminals taking advantage of weak men.

So Beth thought it was better to tell Annie's kid that she abandoned him to run off with some guy, versus that she was kidnapped. Okay.

Rico wanted Annie to see his henchman beat up some guy? And ugh on eating the inside of Oreos and then throwing the rest away. He could just eat cake icing straight from the can and eliminate the middleman. Or middlewoman as it were.

Mick really got sloppy with that man he went after, leaving himself open for the cops to show up. Maybe all that sugar messed up his thought processes.

I don't understand why Annie "rescued" Mick. Stockholm syndrome?

Aw, Stan, no. Not you too. Well, I also hope he's working an angle to get Dean out from under those guys and them off Beth's trail. Because I really don't see Beth going down without taking the others with her. And they better hope those cosmetics guys aren't undercover for Interpol or something equally stupid.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I think telling the police the truth raises more problems than it would solve. Also, now Mick owes her. 

16 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I really don't see Beth going down without taking the others with her.

Same. I don't think Beth would deliberately name the other women as accomplices, but the Secret Service know who they are, as does the FBI, I think. 

• Love 6
On 7/4/2021 at 6:00 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I think that was just reflex. Avoiding cops is just second nature at this point.

• Useful 3

This is like Kim Cattrall all over again......  I think it's extremely weird that this story was released in this way, trying to blame Manny.  Why should any actors be taking a pay cut?  That's pathetic.....  And all the other 3 actors agreed to take the cut?  I find this hard to believe...... 

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Why should any actors be taking a pay cut?

The article says that the final season was supposed to be only eight episodes, so it would make sense for the total pay to be lower. But if NBC reduced their per-episode pay, I can't blame Manny for not wanting to participate, especially if he has a better paying or more exciting gig lined up.

And I hate that Manny is being scapegoated. Even Christina, who seems to dislike him, said that he's very professional. This is like any other job, he doesn't owe anyone anything if the terms aren't favorable to him.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6

If the writers had not just been phoning it in for the past couple of seasons and actually bothered to put something coherent on the screen then this show would still be hot.

A lot of people like the main actresses.

At this point, they might as well say "a wizard did it" and call it a day.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

And I hate that Manny is being scapegoated. Even Christina, who seems to dislike him, said that he's very professional. This is like any other job, he doesn't owe anyone anything if the terms aren't favorable to him.

But like, what does it even matter if the terms were favorable or not to him? If Manny's paycheck was really the deciding factor, they'd cut him from the cast and move on. He's fifth billed in the cast listings. Sure he has fans, but he's not one of the leads. Clearly he's NOT the reason for the show ending, so why the hit piece?

If the article is accurate, good for him for knowing his worth.

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, Trini said:

But like, what does it even matter if the terms were favorable or not to him? If Manny's paycheck was really the deciding factor, they'd cut him from the cast and move on. He's fifth billed in the cast listings. Sure he has fans, but he's not one of the leads. Clearly he's NOT the reason for the show ending, so why the hit piece?

If the article is accurate, good for him for knowing his worth.

It is RIDICULOUS to blame a show ending on ONE actor who's not even the main or title cast!  Of course, I personally watch the show for him, but the show is titled Good Girls.  It is definitely a hit piece!

• Love 12
On 7/3/2021 at 1:02 PM, CarpeFelis said:

I can sympathize with Stan, but not Dean. In all his blathering with his cult buddies plotting to get Beth thrown in prison, he’s VERY conveniently forgetting that he not only cheated on his wife multiple times but more to the point, HE set this whole thing in motion by getting his family into dire financial straits in the first place.

He got them into a financial mess, but most people who deal with that take steps like get a job, downsize the house, file for bankruptcy if necessary- not runs criminal enterprise. 
He may be a terrible husband, but blaming him for the choices Beth made which put their children in danger is wrong, IMO.

3 hours ago, Trini said:

But like, what does it even matter if the terms were favorable or not to him?

Just in the context that he shouldn't be blamed for walking away from a lowball offer. At the end of the day it's a job like any other. The people who are trying to scapegoat him wouldn't do *their* jobs for less money than they felt they're worth.

2 hours ago, deaja said:

He got them into a financial mess, but most people who deal with that take steps like get a job, downsize the house, file for bankruptcy if necessary- not runs criminal enterprise. 
He may be a terrible husband, but blaming him for the choices Beth made which put their children in danger is wrong, IMO.

I don't think he's to blame for Beth's choices, but he should at least acknowledge that he's also made reckless choices that put his family in a bad situation. Right now he's bought 100% into the MRA trope that Beth is "the bitch" and he's just a long-suffering husband.

• Love 6
On 6/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah this is the clip.  

• Love 2
20 hours ago, deaja said:

I completely agree that he’s not responsible for what she did with the problem he created, but he did create it nonetheless.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I don't think he's to blame for Beth's choices, but he should at least acknowledge that he's also made reckless choices that put his family in a bad situation. Right now he's bought 100% into the MRA trope that Beth is "the bitch" and he's just a long-suffering husband.

I do believe he is buying into some serious trope as well. But he has been punishing himself for years now. He made them broke, she got him arrested and put in jail. 

I think the Cosmetic Clan has him in their grip because they worked him with the kids angle. "Who's a better parent."

• Love 3

I cannot contemplate how the show getting canned could be Manny's fault, or how he was in the wrong for wanting to get paid to do his job. If its anyone's fault, its the lazy writers who have taken a promising show and flushed it down the drain with their half assed writing. Honestly, the behind the scenes drama sounds way more interesting than anything that has happened in the show for the last few seasons. 

I wouldn't call this a good episode, but it had some good moments. Especially Crystal gathering the strippers back again from all of their post strip club jobs, like an exotic dancer Nick Fury, and Beth convincing the counsel that the strip club was good for the local economy. Gee Stan, you mean working with the creepy misogynistic cult to bring down your wife's best friend's criminal enterprise of which your wife is a willing participant turned out to be a bad idea? I'm shocked, shocked I say.  

• Love 18
(edited)
22 hours ago, Broderbits said:

Someone send a note to Samuel L Jackson, because I really want to see a show based on this idea!

I had to google just to see who Nick Fury was, lol.  Every movie and TV show is based on Comics these days, and I cannot keep them straight. 

Edited by Chewy101
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

There's not a single character on this show that I like.

Beth is just...Beth.

Annie reverted to being her dysfunctional asshole self by bringing he roommate/boyfriend's toilet to the restaurant where his new girlfriend works. That was cheap, sleazy, and entitled as hell. She was the worst kind of woman scorned cliche.

I hope that Stan can protect Ruby.

• Love 6

Why should Ruby be protected she’s not some innocent victim. She’s a huge part of it all. Beth isn’t forcing her to be a part of it. I don’t remember Stan hating Beth so much before either.

The writers of this show are a joke. This show could’ve been so good it annoys me what they’ve done. I’m not even a writer and I’m pretty sure I could’ve done a better job lol.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Marley said:

Beth isn’t forcing her to be a part of it.

At this point in things, all of the women are in so deep that they do have to keep going unless they want to turn themselves in together. I'd think they could make a decent deal for themselves, but the show doesn't want to go there.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Marley said:

Why should Ruby be protected she’s not some innocent victim. She’s a huge part of it all. Beth isn’t forcing her to be a part of it. I don’t remember Stan hating Beth so much before either.

The writers of this show are a joke. This show could’ve been so good it annoys me what they’ve done. I’m not even a writer and I’m pretty sure I could’ve done a better job lol.

It's like how Jane Leeves was pregnant in the 90s so the Frasier writers made a story that Daphne was simply 'getting fat'.  They make this story that Ruby got shot in the knee and that Stan blames it all on Beth.....but the audience knows what's really going on so it's not exactly easy to get into.

Ruby could have just fallen at one of these jobs.  There's always going to be danger.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/10/2021 at 2:53 PM, Marley said:

Let's not forget that one of the main reasons for the original robbery of the grocery store was so that Ruby's daughter could get some life-saving medication.  Stan's sweet baby girl might not be here if they had not done that.

Also, I thought it was so stupid for Ruby to yell out "Your bag is a fake" when that was the basis of Stan's side hustle.  Did she really think the lady was going to keep it to herself?

I am so invested in the "will they or won't they" romance between Annie and the homeless guy...SAID NO ONE EVER!!!!

And Annie, no one has ever needed you? What about Ben? Your son needs you though you are usually irresponsible as Hell.

I don't know if you guys know this but Multi-Level Marketing schemes are notorious for targeting women with their "Girl Boss"..."You Go Girl" attitude which usually turns out to be an exploitive cult.

It is interesting to see it being turned into some bullshit male positivity group but like most of the stories on this show, it will probably go nowhere.

Of course cousin brother is lowkey in love with Beth both to fuck with Manny and every man in Michigan will eventually fall in love with Beth or her sister.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 10