Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm waiting for a little more too.   I want some low level villains to round things out. This show works best when they are WAY over their heads with lots of ppl on their tail.

As a fangirl, I am 100% fine with watching Rio; Manny's intensity always works for me.  I kinda loved that they built that whole set-up akin to a love scene.  Mood lighting, mood music, tension, eye-ing each other.  Good use of the chemistry between Beth and Rio.  That man has been BEGGING for a reason not to kill her and also not lose face. 

Ruby and Sara's storyline was really interesting.  Her dig at her mother at the end was a BURN.  I mean, my immigrant mother would have beat my ass, but it was such a bitter pill to swallow.

Oh Annie.  Annie drives me crazy, but I love Mae Whitman's portrayal of her.  I mean, hot Brit is hot, but girl, NOT the therapist.  It's Annie, so she is all about "lather rinse repeat" with poor man choices.  I would like to see this subverted.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

I just have trouble understanding why so many people  here seem to continue watching a show they hate so much, and seemingly get no enjoyment out of.

For the same reason people watch disaster movies to make fun of them? Also because when enough viewers complain about something that's problematic, showrunners often notice. If viewers hadn't complained so much about the writing for Rio last season, I doubt we'd be getting PoV scenes for him this season.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:27 PM, helenamonster said:

I think the reason this season has been dragging for me is that I got used to the girls having more villains to deal with than just Rio: Turner, Boomer, Mary Pat, etc. Turns out there's a lot of empty space that needs filling when they're not juggling antagonists.

I was so unhappy with the final few episodes of S2 that I planned not to watch this season until I could binge it all at the end, but my DVR didn't record episode 4 and ruined my plan, so I had to watch all 4 of the aired S3 episodes last night. I've seen a lot of complaints that the show is slower, but it's actually working better for me with the slower pace. Last season just felt like tunnel vision with Beth and Rio driving the narrative, but now they're all getting their own stories and it feels more equal. The characters have time to breathe and grow, Rio has PoV scenes, and even Beth's kids have gotten more screen time in 4 episodes than I think they got in all of season 2, and the other kids are around as well. All of that makes their lives feel more real and relatable. It's still not perfect, but I'm finding the show to be a lot less manic and more coherent than the previous season, like the writers have more control.

Having said that, nothing that's happened between Beth and Rio so far really makes sense, but they wrote themselves into that corner with the S2 finale. I don't see how they're going to be able to pull off him not killing her without it being interpreted as either "because he still has feelings for her" or "because he is clearly an idiot." Him sparing her because she's useful, or even because he wants to set her up for a fall out of vengeance, just doesn't work for me because it's too reminiscent of S2. She has always been more trouble than she's worth, she's resourceful, and she's proven to be not just untrustworthy, but deadly, so even with him exerting significantly more overt control over her than he did before, I just don't see how the risk vs. reward adds up for him, and that's not even accounting for his desire for vengeance. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, and we're about to enter round 3 of this coyote and roadrunner nonsense. So is the writers' intention for us to think that he's, what, greedy enough? Stupid enough? Rhea said he's not dumb, but this makes him look dumb, so it's either that or it's "feelings." 

As a fangirl, I am 100% fine with watching Rio; Manny's intensity always works for me.  I kinda loved that they built that whole set-up akin to a love scene.  Mood lighting, mood music, tension, eye-ing each other.  Good use of the chemistry between Beth and Rio.  That man has been BEGGING for a reason not to kill her and also not lose face.

I interpreted that whole scene as a little dark humor on the part of the writers. He wasn't lusting after Beth, he was intrigued by the process of the money she was making and lusting after that. I feel like the writers showed their hand in the finale, so I'm very, very skeptical of anything that paints him as having a soft spot for her anymore.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

I'll sit with you!  I love Annie.

I wish I could like your post 100x.  I have trouble reading these boards because it seems all anyone does is complain about the show.  I understand these boards are for discussing TV shows--the good and the bad aspects-- I just have trouble understanding why so many people  here seem to continue watching a show they hate so much, and seemingly get no enjoyment out of.  *shrugs*   Just glad to know I'm not the only one who gets some enjoyment from it!

I still like it. 

I missed how Rio found out about the money. Also: was it ever confirmed that the FBI guy died? I keep expecting him to show up.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Anela said:

I still like it. 

I missed how Rio found out about the money. Also: was it ever confirmed that the FBI guy died? I keep expecting him to show up.

Well they did show a street memorial to the fallen agents and his picture was seen. and Beth was preparing to go to his memorial service.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

The guy Annie and the other women were using tried to make a deal with Rio's guys.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Raja said:

Well they did show a street memorial to the fallen agents and his picture was seen. and Beth was preparing to go to his memorial service.

Thanks, I don't remember that. 

S2E4 I took a break but the first episode on hulu is going to be expiring soon so I'm finally feeling the push to finish season 2.

It took me so long to remember that Boomer was the dead body. With the time away from the show, I think I'm ultimately glad they got rid of him even if I didn't like how it went down. 

The "summer rose" crack was a solid burn from Rico. The rest of that conversation? Flirty Rico is written like every teen movie bad boy. It's weird that we're supposed to believe him as a real person when he seems like a plot device or a figment of her imagination. He's written as a tool for her self-actualization. If this was somehow a Fight Club scenario, it would make more sense than taking it at face value.

Can't they just sell the Cloud9 merch online? As long as they don't sell it at too much of a loss, they still get real money for stuff bought with fake money. Obviously it's not a good long-term plan but it should work for the stuff they just bought and tried to return.

Wait, now Dean is bad at selling cars? I thought he was good at selling cars but just terrible with money. This feels like retroactive character assassination. I'm baffled why they're going to keep him on the show if he's apparently so useless. Also, no this won't make me root for Beth/Rico.

Ruby's scene at the loan place was brilliant. If this is going to be a poorly written cartoon, at least let it be a fun one full of wish-fulfillment.

I don't mind Boomer being terrible. But it feels like a retcon that he was actually stealing from Marion so we won't feel bad that he's dead. I didn't feel bad anyway.

The direction of this show is not great. I don't think it's about network TV and what they can and can't show. Both the opening sequence and the sex scene in the bathroom were lacking. I can see what they were going for but it just felt pedestrian... like a lesser copy of better scenes. 

Mary Pat's kids are assholes. I know they're her kids and all but she'd be so much better off if she had just taken the money she initially got from the girls and had run off to start a new life.

I'm glad Rico took the money back. Beth was really going to burn it? Idiot. 

S2E5 On the one hand, I'm glad Ruby isn't keeping secrets from Stanley. On the other hand, she could have just told him about the money. Confessing about the dead body to your cop husband is... a choice.

The masturbation scene makes me think Beth has serious issues. It's one thing to be physically attracted to Rio or his charm or his interest in her. It's another thing entirely to get off on him being aggressive and breaking things. 

Yeah, dummies. That's why you don't just throw away a body. Why are they so bad at crime???

Rico is an idiot. He cornered them into selling the cars at a huge loss to get the $200,000. He remembers that he's in on the car scheme, right? 

I love Ruby and Stanley. 

S2E6 For a guy with the FBI hot on his trail, Rio is awfully chill about hanging out at the car dealership and letting everyone see his face.

That scene with Ruby doing her daughter's hair was too adorable. I wish Ruby and Stan could break off into their own spin off and I wouldn't have to watch the rest of this mess.

Wait, Jimmy is bringing his boyfriend? Are they rewriting the part about his other family or is he divorced?

I know the show was trying to make a point but that level of mess made it seem like Beth hadn't been home in a week. Maybe a month.

Why was Beth so determined to find out what was in the cars? Granted, the pill explosion was a cool shot.

Beth's plan to steal the pills is... so unbelievably stupid. I don't mind Darren though. Of all the pointless side characters (Boomer, Mary Pat, Marion, etc.) he can stay. 

Ruby was smart to give Stan food to drop off. They're just skating around the bounds of politeness until someone breaks and Jimmy accuses them of a crime or they fold. Jimmy tried to play them by inviting himself to dinner. So they counter by taking away his excuse. I thought it would be a stalemate but Jimmy countered again with the excuse that he had to say "thank you" in person with mac and cheese. Jimmy was the one to finally put an end to it by confronting Ruby but in a way, he's still bluffing. They don't have concrete evidence yet but he's gambling on offering Ruby some kind of incentive to give him what he needs. 

Honestly, it would be smart for Ruby to sell out Beth.

I don't know how to feel about the end of the episode.

S2E7 Beth is still just working at the car dealership, right? I was unclear on why she was getting up so early. 

Jimmy is so much better at what he does that it's weird that Rio is the one who the show wants us to believe is successful. While Rio makes these reckless, nonsensical decisions, Jimmy knows how to play both good cop and bad cop. He can apply pressure but for the most part, he seems kind and reasonable. He gets people to want to give in.

Last episode I thought Dean was going to do something insane like hire the instructor to kill Rio. This episode, I thought, good, he's just taking self defense classes. Then it turned out he did do the stupid thing last episode. Sigh...

Rolling my eyes at these contrivances. Is it wrong that I hate most of the children on this show?

I know the cat lady was ridiculous but Beth is ALSO ridiculous for giving in to her daughter. Stuff happens. She should teach her how to properly deal with that instead of scrambling to find/replace the blanket.

OK... I'm intrigued by Noah. I'm even more intrigued by the hot bartender but I doubt he'll be sticking around.

I appreciate that Ruby is trying. I thought maybe she was just doing a bad job naively hoping that Jimmy would give up. Ruby's loyalty should be to her family. 

Oh, Annie.

Ruby stole the book club thing calendar? Isn't that way more suspicious than taking a photo of it?

S2E8 Little Ruby was adorable. But for all that she told Jane last episode, that flashback only reinforced that Ruby is the one who supports Beth in her craziness, not the other way around. I don't see how it would support us thinking that Ruby was terrible for not continuing to cover for her friend. 

I would have rather seen Ruby give the calendar to Jimmy and then let that play out. I 100% don't care if Beth feels offended. She keeps making reckless decisions to put them all in danger and dig them in deeper. Ruby should be loyal to her own family. 

You would never even think about it? Shut up, Beth. I'm sorry you hate your husband and let him get shot. Some people have good marriages.

Aren't "lie detectors" out of fashion now because they've been proven to be unreliable?

WOW. Dean got all their money stolen? This is getting tiresome. I feel like the writing keeps repeating itself. They're at rock bottom. They achieve some success. There's some danger in a new job and someone hot on their trail. Then somehow they run out of money and they're back in a mess willing to do whatever it takes to survive.

Beth is an idiot. If these "kids" become another Mary Pat situation, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. She should have let Rio handle it.

Beth being there for Ruby at her dad's funeral is a lot to rest her loyalty on. If they were going to do hack-y flashback scenes, why not make up something to really explain why Beth is a good friend to Ruby?

Yes, cheating is always terrible. The person in the relationship and the other man/woman are doing a bad thing. But I feel like no one is really acknowledging that it IS complicated. Like, Nancy, she's not just stealing your husband. He was her husband first. 

Now they're getting bossed around by PJ's girlfriend? Why don't they have their own guns? 

That last flashback was AGAIN not about showing Beth choosing Ruby. Do the writers know what they're doing? Are they setting us up for something? Because that flashback was Beth being a martyr but then being passive aggressive and RUBY being the one to sacrifice a girl's night so her friend could go to prom. 

It was very sweet that Annie had no hesitation accepting Sadie's revelation.

Noah is an FBI agent??? GASP! I love it. 

S2E9 Poor Stan... I wish the show had been brave enough to have Ruby turn on Beth and then play that out. They certainly didn't bother to give us a good reason why she didn't. Sorry, but I don't believe for a second that if Beth wasn't the mastermind and there was a way for her to get out of this by throwing Ruby under the bus, that she wouldn't. I feel like they keep dancing around it with that fight where Beth and Annie ended up telling Ruby that she is family and that story Stan was telling Jimmy about their son and his friend at school. On some level, the writers know. 

It's so stupid but I have to laugh at this show sometimes. So they're robbing another place. Cool.

Why have that scene at the bar? It only reminded me that Beth could have had the money to cover Stan's bail if she had just let Rio handle it last episode the way she could have let Rio handle Mary Pat and Boomer and all the other problems. Sometimes it's like watching a show with a Deus Ex Machina, except they never put it into play. Frustrating... Once again, Beth is incapable of pulling the trigger. 

I like this season 2 choice of letting Sadie and Sara be the moral compasses. Clearly it's not going to be Annie, Beth, or Ruby. And I actually like Stan supporting Ruby. Boomer and Mary Pat are terrible. But the children? It makes sense. 

Lol, the failed robbery attempt was funny. I know I shouldn't like that guy but the actor sells it. I don't understand the tone of this show at all. It keeps swinging wildly from drama to cartoonish comedy. How am I supposed to feel like there are real stakes? It's grounded in reality until it isn't.

Jessica Walter and June Squibb are big names for this silly show. How are they swinging that?

I get Ruby wanting to play Robin Hood but it was such a bad move to let the guy at the loan place hear her voice. I don't get this show. Are they supposed to be good at crime or bad at crime? This middle ground does not make for an enjoyable show.

This show is so WEIRD. So they're fully going in on Beth and Rio? They even bathed them in that dreamy, ethereal light when they kissed. Do the writers think this is some grand romance?

Well, that explains Ruby's nice house. 

I'm so confused. Why does he want to know Ruby's address for her school district? Does that mean he's going to lie and use it for his nephew to get him into that school district? But how does he even know that Ruby lives in a good school district? And shouldn't he care about what the commute might be like for his nephew? 

S2E10 I get that they're being cute but even if it was all pennies, that Coinstar receipt should have been more that $7.

That buzzing was so irritating that I started to think Beth wasn't actually at an addiction meeting but getting a tattoo.

I really like Noah as a character. He makes sense. He's cute and quirky because he needs to be to charm Annie. He has a convenient backstory because it's a lie and he is unusually easy-going because it's in his best interests until he has the information he needs. I'm not even mad at him for doing it. He's doing the work and earning his wins. And he does have some moral high ground. Unlike Boomer and Mary Pat and (to a lesser extent) Jimmy just out there being messy.

Mae Whitman has a solid singing voice.

Just because she's no longer part of Rio's scheme it didn't mean Beth had to quit working.

I get the other moms being paranoid about nuts... but gluten???

Also, I get that she was angry but trashing the food just felt wasteful.

Ruby is insane! Has she learned nothing. Just because you want to bail, you don't just throw out the stuff. They already learned this lesson! I can't.

A) Why did Annie tell Noah so much? B) Why is she convinced that's the only way someone would know? They could have figured it out just by tailing Rio or looking at the records of cars coming in from Canada. They could have gotten Darren to tell them everything. Nothing about this plan is subtle or airtight.

S2E11: Noah continues to be great. I love when a show takes advantage of an actor's skills by having them play a deceptive character.

This show consistently has great music.

How many quarters could that laundromat machine have?

He might be a bad car salesman but Dean is right. Beth does not have things under control and she's putting her family in danger. 

DAMN. Even with him being a criminal mastermind and that being Detroit, Christopher's "apartment" is huge. And filled with so many expensive-looking things. Though, if he knew she was following him all day, why did he lead her to his real apartment?

LOL. Beth is NOT "really good" at this.

I don't get this at all. Just because Annie started dating Noah, it didn't mean that she had to reveal all her secrets. Just because Dean and Stan are in on things it's not like Annie needed to tell Noah.

I thought that Rio/Christopher dug up Boomer (since they weren't exactly subtle) and replaced him with a different body. Not that they just took the wrong body in the first place. Why are they so bad at crime???

S2E12 Wait, what in the hell? So that was never Boomer's body? And the kid wasn't lying when he said "daddy" was in the freezer? This is so convoluted.

I'm confused. When the Feds came into the car dealership did they somehow shut it down? Why is Dean working for someone else now? Or is it just that they couldn't maintain the dealership without Rio's money funding it?

Yes, Mary Pat is a rape victim. But that doesn't excuse the whole... chopping up her husband to hide his body in a meat freezer to continuing collecting VA disability checks. 

This is idiotic. Noah fell for Annie? What kind of FBI agent cracks that easily? He couldn't come up with a convincing lie? All she saw him do was talk to Turner when he went out on a run. 

FUCKING HELL. Boomer is still alive!?! What is it going to take? This has gotten into soap opera territory. Nothing has any meaning if they can rewrite any plot point they want. 

• Love 1

S2E13 Are you KIDDING me? They were going to give Boomer the key to the whole storage unit? The WHOLE thing?

That finale was such a giant mess I have no words. Rio makes no sense. Why does he keep giving Beth a gun? And THAT was the time he chose to finally step in? 

I guess Rio becoming an informant is sort of an interesting set up for season 3? I don't know. I'd feel better if Boomer and Mary Pat were for sure out of the picture. I do not trust the writers of this show to not bring them back to plague us.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

... This has gotten into soap opera territory. Nothing has any meaning if they can rewrite any plot point they want. 

This is my problem going into the third season; I can't really trust these writers when there's a big plot twist.

• Love 7

S3E2 So Beth's master plan was to get involved with criminals she has no way of controlling? I thought they were finally going to try to be good at crime after they worked so hard to figure out how to make counterfeit money. If anything, it was lucky he just took the counterfeit money and didn't do anything worse.

I'm torn because on the one hand Beth's kids (like most of the kids on this show) are incredibly spoiled. On the other hand, Beth shouldn't have to put up with her mother in law's BS.

Now they're going to make more counterfeit money with seemingly no way to launder it? I don't get this show at all sometimes...

• Love 1

I might have missed the explanation, but Ruby's angelic little daughter really did steal and then pawn the fancy pen? What kind of pawn shop will deal with a kid who looks to be about 13?

Ruby just assumes a famous athlete's shirt hanging in a sports bar bathroom is genuine? 

Why are the girls putting the fake cash in little boxes labeled 'Susie's 13th birthday', etc. ? Is that really supposed to fool any cop who happens to stop and search the van?

You guys, it's really easy to make counterfeit currency! (and yet Rio seemed awed at their cunning while he was watching them 🙄)

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

You guys, it's really easy to make counterfeit currency! (and yet Rio seemed awed at their cunning while he was watching them 🙄)

Actually, the show has done a decent job of showing how much effort the women have put into trying to make decent counterfeit currency. I think Rio should be awed at their cunning! It took the women a lot of effort to get to that point.

• Love 10

Shocking developments! Rio isnt going to kill Beth, and she is going to keep working for/with him! Annie hits on her therapist! New plot developments everywhere! 

For real though, I am super glad that Annie's therapist turned her down, sleeping with a patient is insanely immoral and unethical, not to mention issues of transference (which he mentioned) so I was really happy with how that all played out. Good on him for not falling for Annie's jittering, desperate charms, even though I fear that it wont be for long. Annie must secrete pheromones or something, hence every gut she meets falling for her. 

As usual, the stuff with Ruby was the best, and I really like exploring the ramifications of her criminal actions with her family. 

The banter this week was pretty solid, and I continue to really like the music on this show. Is very unique, but usually always works. 

Dean might want a gun partially because he is pissed about Rio sleeping with his wife, but getting a gun when murderous criminals are lurking outside your house isnt the worst idea that Dean has ever had. Not even in the top twenty. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Did the show really just do that?  There is no coming back from that.  The show is trying its damndest fiercest to make us never see Rio in  a remotely positive light ever again.  This is fucked and so stupid.  I've left many shows forever, for way less.

And how could Beth stay with Dean after he knowingly signed her death warrant like that?  

What kind of fucked up bullshit is this?  

Have we ever seen Rio

Spoiler

kill an innocent person before?

I'm sorry, but last season was so long ago so I don't remember.  I know that he hurt Dean, but that's all I remember.  And I guess he was behind killing the FBI team?  

It seems like I watch the show before everyone else, so I'm just using the tags to be considerate.

I really want to support the actor who plays Rio, but I really don't like this.  No clue why the show would do this.  They're trying to get the actor kicked off?

Again, I've left so many shows for getting rid of or destroying my favourite characters.  I'm not sure why the showrunners want to upset their own fans.

My only hope is that the show showed me one thing but really something else happened?  Or am I just being naive?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
46 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Did the show really just do that?  There is no coming back from that.  The show is trying its damndest fiercest to make us never see Rio in  a remotely positive light ever again.

37 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

I did not like that at all.  I feel like they’re doing everything in their power to show us that Rio is bad and that we shouldn’t be rooting for or humanizing him.  

This is exactly what gangsters like Rio do though. There's a reason why he's been running his racket for probably decades without getting caught - he's really good at covering his tracks. This side of him is much more realistic than the "hot thug" fantasy of past seasons. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

My only hope is that the show showed me one thing but really something else happened?  Or am I just being naive?  

I'm hoping he shot his thug rather than the innocent Lucy and is holding her hostage to create more plates. Hoping. Last week I was going to write, "I'm sick of Rio." He's never done much for me, so no love lost there. Now, I'm really done with Rio, even if Lucy is, by slim odds, still alive. Ugh. Shoulda stayed dead.

• Love 1

I'll wait for a summary later, not watching it anymore if he is not what Manny said or told he would be,  the "bad guy" with a lot of good. He was saying in an interview he would be multi-faceted. I only liked his scenes since the rest was too fake, I know it's stupid, but everyone has a part of reality that they can let go, it's total with this show and I was hoping for at least 25% believeability.  I really don't like Beth, just Stan and Ruby and they had nothing be accurate with them.  Maybe I'll see them elsewhere when it's canceled, I can't see it lasting another season.

• Love 2

I feel like they had to have some violence, otherwise there's only implied threat. This reiterates that Rio isn't fooling around. I feel so bad for Lucy, though. She really didn't deserve any of it, nor does her way overinvolved boyfriend.

Dean was shot by Rio. He knows the guy will follow through. All he does is give a lame apology for wrecking the printing plate? Dean SUCKS. I liked that Beth finally corrected him that Rio doesn't love her, he loves the money. I think Rio finds Beth interesting, but that's not at all the same thing.

I think the show is floundering plotwise, and someone needs to figure out where the show is going.

• Love 17
5 hours ago, debraran said:

I'll wait for a summary later, not watching it anymore if he is not what Manny said or told he would be,  the "bad guy" with a lot of good. He was saying in an interview he would be multi-faceted. I only liked his scenes since the rest was too fake, I know it's stupid, but everyone has a part of reality that they can let go, it's total with this show and I was hoping for at least 25% believeability.  I really don't like Beth, just Stan and Ruby and they had nothing be accurate with them.  Maybe I'll see them elsewhere when it's canceled, I can't see it lasting another season.

I remember Rio nodding at his employee guy, then a shot.

It was implied that the employee killed Lucy on Rio's word.

I don't know.  I guess we will see next week.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

The show picked the wrong person to kill off (assuming she actually has been). I didn't care about any of the other victims, as far as I can remember.

I want to lay Lucy's death at Dean's feet (because I can't stand him), but it looks like Rio was already sniffing around Lucy at the paper shop before that became a factor. 

Really, logically, this should have been where they give up and go to the police. Where do they see this ending? Eventually, the minions will figure out how to print the money properly, and then how do the girls stay alive?

Ugh at Baby Annie snuggling helplessly up to her poor son in bed.

Does Retta have some mobility issues?  In that scene of the girls walking back to the car after Lucy is shot, she looks like she can barely stagger along.

Edited by sempervivum
forgot this bit
  • Love 8

The show needed to do that.  Would have preferred he shot Annie, but what can you do?  Rio has never been a nice guy on the show and it was getting more and more unrealistic to try to keep him as an "option" for Beth.  I know nothing about the show is realistic, but overall, Beth and Co have faced such little consequences for all their misdeeds, that it makes sense the show needed to show them seeing some.

7 hours ago, deaja said:

The show needed to do that.  Would have preferred he shot Annie, but what can you do?  Rio has never been a nice guy on the show and it was getting more and more unrealistic to try to keep him as an "option" for Beth.  I know nothing about the show is realistic, but overall, Beth and Co have faced such little consequences for all their misdeeds, that it makes sense the show needed to show them seeing some.

I was thinking the same thing. 

I was hoping that Lucy isn't dead, but we would have heard her crying or something, if she was injured. I guess he did that, so that they can't do anything to him, and continue with their production of the fake money.

3.07 synopsis:

Spoiler

"VEGAS, BABY"

03/29/2020 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Sunday) :

The women call on an unexpected ally to help Max seek revenge. But when their plans go awry, Ruby's life is put in jeopardy. Meanwhile, a directionless Annie tries to find her purpose in life as Stan discovers his side hustle isn't what it seems. TV-14

• Love 2

Oh wow. That was...dark.

I think what was so startling about it was that the show tried so long to have its cake and eat it too. Rio is a gangbanger with a thriving counterfeit empire, and you don't get to where he is without a few innocent people being removed along the way. But then Manny Montana and Christina Hendricks had crazy off-the-charts chemistry, and they kind of had to tiptoe around the more undesirable implications of his characterization to capitalize on that. This is always who he was, but it took two seasons and change for the show to let him be that.

But of course, it always comes back to FUCKING DEAN. Why would he ever assume that Rio loves Beth? Did he love all the women he cheated on her with? He's justified in not wanting Beth involved with Rio, and not wanting that lifestyle being around his kids, but that was not the way to solve that problem. And he has no idea the damage he did.

As always, Ruby and Stan's relationship is played with such nuance, and the actors sell it so well.

8 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I want to lay Lucy's death at Dean's feet (because I can't stand him), but it looks like Rio was already sniffing around Lucy at the paper shop before that became a factor. 

Rio wasn't looking for an alternative until Beth was late with her delivery. That led him to sniffing around Lucy, and then finding out that she was the one who designed the plate, not Beth. If Dean hadn't destroyed the original, Lucy would still be alive.

• Love 12

The scene at the end when Beth introduced Au Jus to Dean and referred to the bird as a "rescue" made me irrationally angry.

I just hate Beth now. It's easy to blame Dean but Lucy's death is really all Beth's fault. Just MHO.

I feel like Christina Hendricks thought GG was going to be her Breaking Bad but it is so very much not.

• Love 18

I can't even agree that Christina and Manny have the chemistry.  Manny has chemistry with EVERYONE.  Watching Manny talk to Lucy?  Come on I was losing my mind.  Everyone has chemistry with Manny because he's just that good of an actor.  Sorry, I'm admittedly a Manny fangirl. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 18

I disagree that this can be pinned on Dean. The show has tried to paint him as the bad guy since the start, but I don’t buy it. Crappy husband? Absolutely. But being a horrible spouse is not reason for your spouse to try to run a criminal empire out of your home. Her actions got him shot season 1, almost to him arrested season 2, so he’s not the bad guy for being over it. Beth has lied to him so many times about the whole thing he didn’t even really have reason to trust her when he confronted her.

54 minutes ago, deaja said:

I disagree that this can be pinned on Dean. The show has tried to paint him as the bad guy since the start, but I don’t buy it. Crappy husband? Absolutely. But being a horrible spouse is not reason for your spouse to try to run a criminal empire out of your home. Her actions got him shot season 1, almost to him arrested season 2, so he’s not the bad guy for being over it. Beth has lied to him so many times about the whole thing he didn’t even really have reason to trust her when he confronted her.

I know this show is stupid and unrealistic but I cannot understand why Dean hasn't taken the kids (and Ben and Stan and Ruby's kids and Au Jus) and run so far away with a side stop at the police station to turn Beth's gang in. I dislike Dean intensely, yet here I am on Team Dean. So confusing. Stupid show.

I liked Lucy so much I want to get a bird and name it Au Jus. But I won't because I know nothing about birds. And I have a cat.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10

Ugh, poor Lucy. She did nothing wrong intentionally and had no idea that she had been roped into anything illegal. Boomer was already a lost moral cause and had hurt other people. Mary Pat wanted a piece of the shadiness in her own way. But Lucy was just enjoying making art in a professional capacity and semi-regretfully talking up her graphicfarts.

Similar to others, I was really grossed out that Beth kept Au Jus, too, and referred to him as a "rescue." Lucy's boyfriend has lost his girlfriend in an awful way (just doesn't truly know it yet) and his girlfriend's beloved bird on top of that? Even if the boyfriend didn't have much to do with the bird when Lucy was around (and I doubt that was the case), what a double whammy. Beth, come on. Let him have the bird whether he loved it or not. It's at the very least a living reminder (50 years ...) of his girlfriend, and who knows, maybe he loved Au Jus just as much as Lucy did. What, did Beth think that the boyfriend could grieve over missing-Lucy with the tampons and Midol he bought her instead?

And Annie the Disaster continues to force her child to parent her. Annie means well, but intentions don't mean a whole lot when the corresponding actions are so terrible.  I'm not sure she's really capable of any real growth. Though I think we're just an episode or two away from her trying to masturbate with her nasty gym locker key.  Surely she wouldn't use Ben's gym locker key for that - she was boundaries ...

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

This is one of the few shows I still look forward to. It's always a bit of a disappointment when the episode ends though. It's not satisfying and exciting like it used to be. I wish it were less contrived.

Enjoyed the dark end of this episode though. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can't even agree that Christina and Manny have the chemistry.  Manny has chemistry with EVERYONE.  Watching Manny talk to Lucy?  Come on I was losing my mind.  Everyone has chemistry with Manny because he's just that good of an actor.  Sorry, I'm admittedly a Manny fangirl. 

My feelings about him are well-documented in this thread, but just in case: he is sexy AS FUCK. And he plays Rio very cool, and he has that sexy voice. He has chemistry talking to Annie's messy ass too.

16 hours ago, deaja said:

Yeah, we are WAY past the "Beth had to turn to crime to get the family out of the financial trouble Dean put them in" phase. We're in the Walter White "I did it for me, I liked it" phase. She was GIDDY talking about how now that Rio was gone, they were free ... to run a counterfeit operation. Not free to, you know, stop all the criminal activity.

With Ruby and Stan, the show has done enough to establish that they actually really do love each other and are ride or die, but with Beth and Dean, they have gone out of their way to show that they do not have that solid of a foundation. Things were shaky with them for years, which led Dean to cheat (which was wrong, don't get me wrong), and Beth herself has said that she's never looked at Dean the way Ruby looks at Stan. I'm with @zibnchy - if I'm Dean, I'd be out.

Poor Lucy. I think the show had to go there - Rio doesn't get to be who he is without a body count - but wow, that was dark.

(Leslie Jones likes this show and sometimes does commentary on her IG, if anyone cares. I think it's funny.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I missed the first episode of season 3 but I'm caught up besides that. I really like the chem between the Beth and Rio actor but I think the show wrote itself into a little bit of a corner by not killing off Rio. It seems a little stagnant since its still Rio vs. the girls in some aspect. The leads won't be killed off so its like a retread of season 1.  They need different things going on.  But I also just binged the first two seasons so that could be effecting my viewing.

Annie my goodness she is a mess. But I did crack up at the bird photos. The whole scene with the ladies in the car and the photos is what I really enjoy about the show. 

If I was Lucy, I know Beth sucks for this situation and well for everything, but I'm trusting her over the gang members with guns. Maybe that's just me.  Still sucks for her.  Dean, I don't think he quite understands the situation his wife is in and needs to stop, just stop. Ruby's PJs at the end. I loved them as I did her and Stan.

Interesting music choices but they work.  I watch too much ID, cause all I keep thinking is they'll obviously have CCTV and see Rio and his guys enter the store. Anyway I didn't think I would but I felt bad for Lucy's boyfriend.

I don't think many more episodes will air with production stopped so I wonder how this season will work out.

Edited by Grumpymonkey
spelling
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Grumpymonkey said:

Dean, I don't think he quite understands the situation his wife is in and needs to stop, just stop.

Dean understands. He's met Rio—Rio shot him! Dean is trying to protect his kids. He needs to find a different way to get through to Beth, though, because putting her in even more danger by destroying printing plates is not helpful.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Grumpymonkey said:

I don't think many more episodes will air with production stopped so I wonder how this season will work out.

Pretty sure all their episodes (16) are done.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Dean understands. He's met Rio—Rio shot him! Dean is trying to protect his kids. He needs to find a different way to get through to Beth, though, because putting her in even more danger by destroying printing plates is not helpful.

But that just proves to me he doesn't get it. He put her/them in more danger, he did nothing to help, he made everything worse. He thinks Rio loves Beth and won't kill her. 🤨 He'd kill any of them in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, Trini said:

Pretty sure all their episodes (16) are done.

I read online they were shooting 13 and I don't believe they were finished before production was stopped. I guess post production or whatever it is, was only completed to episode 9. So only nine episodes might air. Unless I misunderstood.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Grumpymonkey said:

I read online they were shooting 13 and I don't believe they were finished before production was stopped. I guess post production or whatever it is, was only completed to episode 9. So only nine episodes might air. Unless I misunderstood.

Hmm -- I assumed they started production last summer and were already done since this is a mid-season show; I don't know for certain. But I'd be surprised if they haven't finished filming already.

Yeah, I don't get the Rio thing. Ooh, he's a bad boy who can kill you! Sigh.

Lucy? This made me so mad and upset I might take it off the Hulu list. I was stressed enough thinking something was going to happen to Au Jus.

These characters are all terrible people. I adore Retta as an actor, but not even her appeal can keep me watching.

I'm aware you have to buy into the world of a show, no matter how crazy it is. This is why some of my friends didn't like 30 ROCK. Still, I believe a show has to have some kind of internal logic. This one does not.

• Love 9