Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Last season Beth had an amicable relationship with Dean's mom. I hate that that appears to have been cast aside for the much more boring, overdone story of sniping in-laws.

I'm surprised they had Rio and Beth reunite that quickly. I was sure that would be something they'd drag out a few more episodes.

Annie's still a mess, but I really like Mae Whitman's hair this season.

Ruby had some great lines this episode. "That's not how that works." "Yeah, I connected those dots."

• Love 9

Hi everyone ! I'm new around here and I'm so happy to have found a forum on Good Girls.

I'm surprised they had Rio and Beth reunite that quickly. I was sure that would be something they'd drag out a few more episodes.

Yeah, I didn't think they would have them reunite that quickly either but I'm glad it happened as I had been looking forward to this scene for months so I'm really excited for next week's episode. Have you all seen the trailer for next week's episode by the way ? What do you think about it ?

PS : I'm not a native English speaker, so feel free to correct my mistakes if there are any.

• Love 5

Well thats certainly the last time I trust a bank robber with my illegally gotten money! 

I can kind of get the logic of using criminals and not suburbanites to do their dirty deeds, but they need need to be smarter about it. They cant just use the honor system, their needs to be some incentive to work with them. 

I know that Greg and his new wife arent the best people (the cheating was clearly not all on Annie) but I never like when Annie trash talks them to Ben. Greg is still her dad, and they seem to have a decent relationship, so Annie talking crap about them just seems like she is asking Ben to pick a side. Granted, Greg and his wife might do the same thing (like the "your broken" speech) but even then at least they asked him to leave! I also thought her running in to yell at their therapist was super cringy, and even more cringy when I realized that this guy was a love interest who will find her messiness attractive. 

Of course, maybe I am just not being forgiving of Annie because I am still having terrible flashbacks to her masturbating with her sons toothbrush last week...

The plot with Stan and Ruby was interesting, and I could really see both sides. 

Of course Rio shows up at the end for full drama! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 2/26/2020 at 6:43 AM, tennisgurl said:

I can kind of get the logic of using criminals and not suburbanites to do their dirty deeds, but they need need to be smarter about it. They cant just use the honor system, their needs to be some incentive to work with them. 

Yeah, I totally agree with you but on another side, considering they are newbies, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a hard time dealing with the whole "crime boss" thing, especially with that kind of people, and I guess they had to have been sort of used to Rio running things, bossing them around and telling them exactly what to do for quite some time, so they're still supposed to be trying and figuring out the business crime on their own terms along the way. 

Hope my English isn't too bad. 🙂

Edited by Maxandra
  • Love 8

3.05 synopsis:

Spoiler

"AU JUS"

03/15/2020 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Sunday) :

Sick of working for Rio, the women take drastic measures to strongarm Lucy, their unwitting partner in crime, with gruesome results. TV-14

---

Spoiler

Well, this sounds terrible.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Without getting too much into comparisons I kind of like to call this the female breaking bad and like when the show writes into it that way especially for Beth.   You forget just how bad Walt and Jessie were at everything the first season.  it was a learning process for them and  when the show writes Beth correctly being a criminal is a learning process for her.   My huge issue is that the show wants its cake and to eat it too.  It wants her to be a criminal and likeable.  It wants her to cheat on her husband but to also be a good wife and mother. I think the show has been straddling the line with her for far too long.   It needs to pick a lane.   Is this a good wife breaking bad or a redemption arc for a bad girl into a good girl?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

Can someone refresh me on how / why Stan left the police force?  I know FBI guy had something to do with it, but was it public knowledge?  I honestly can’t remember (I hate long gaps between seasons).  Can Stan go back to being a police officer?  Is that a viable option?  I’d really like for that family to get a win.  

Annie was so rude and inappropriate to that kid in the waiting room.  Although who drops their kid off unattended at the psychologist office?  His parents should have been there with him.  

• Love 3
(edited)

The therapist is hot and all but he should NOT have told Annie what that girl was seeing him for!!!!!!!!  Confidentiality, ethics much???????

Maybe a child doesn't have right to confidentiality (?!) but you would think a good therapist would grant them that unless they were in actual danger.

My mouth dropped open in shock when Dean was sexually harassed at work.  I'm not used to seeing that happen to men by women in movies and television since Disclosure in 1994.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
(edited)

I don't think this show cares one iota about realism. It's not just the plots but anything any professional does. The police was laughable, from Stan's hearing which was totally illegal they way it was done, the cops taking vests off (they would have been crazy, my husband was inside a lot and had to wear it) the kidney transplant info, the therapists office and hippa, etc.  A person who isn't a writer can write this show. With the stars it has, they should complain. I guess a paycheck is a paycheck but have some dignity even in a campy show.

I watch while doing other things and FF through some parts, but like Manny and haven't tired of his stuff yet. What they make the reason for him not hurting Beth might make that reason too weak, she lies about being pregnant? Do tests work in minutes?  I guess this dynamic isn't working for me as much as last year with Rio. Without the chemistry, I might read recaps in the future and see if I want to watch it live. I knew the duo wasn't a fav of the actress as much as the fans but without the sexual chemistry killed by the bullets (that would have been too much fiction if not) what is there?

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

I've only seen the clip of Beth and Rio at the doctor that NBC released right after the episode finished, but I can already tell that the storyline is about as half-baked as you can get. Either Rio is a complete idiot who thinks that you can't do a viable ultrasound prior to 4-5 months, which makes no sense because he's been through this process before, or he healed from multiple gunshot wounds, including a punctured lung, in a much shorter amount amount of time than seems possible. Either way, their timeline is fucked. 

I also can't imagine what Rhea could have said to the doctor to make her willing to lie (and I assume risk her medical license?) but not call the police.

It actually makes me a little bit angry that these people get paid as much as they do to write this show, because they've clearly stopped doing even the bare minimum required to allow me to suspend my disbelief.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, debraran said:

I knew the duo wasn't a fav of the actress as much as the fans but without the sexual chemistry killed by the bullets (that would have been too much fiction if not) what is there?

They destroyed a major attraction to the show.  Have you guys ever looked up "Rio good girls" on YouTube?  There seem to be hundreds (of not more) videos dedicated to Rio and Beth.  No matter what anyone personally might think of this "couple" the fandom is RABID.  The show shot themselves in the foot.  Stupid.

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
(edited)
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

They destroyed a major attraction to the show.  Have you guys ever looked up "Rio good girls" on YouTube?  There seem to be hundreds (of not more) videos dedicated to Rio and Beth.  No matter what anyone personally might think of this "couple" the fandom is RABID.  The show shot themselves in the foot.  Stupid.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with you and to be fair, I had stumbled upon videos about them on YouTube before I began watching the show. I would even go as far as saying their relationship was the main reason which pushed me to watch the show in the first place and even though I have grown to love the show for what it is now, I knew watching S3 wouldn't feel the same after that S2 finale. I didn't expect for them to become a lovey-dovey couple, especially with that kind of background but they could have at least kept on developing their connection and their feelings towards each other, which they seemed to be going for throughout S2. That S2 finale not only felt so out of character for both of them but also awfully abrupt, especially considering what had happened between them a few episodes earlier. What a waste !

Edited by Maxandra
  • Love 5
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Maxandra said:

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with you and to be fair, I had stumbled upon videos about them on YouTube before I began watching the show. I would even go as far as saying their relationship was the main reason which pushed me to watch the show in the first place and even though I have grown to love the show for what it is now, I knew watching S3 wouldn't feel the same after that S2 finale. I didn't expect for them to become a lovey-dovey couple, especially with that kind of background but they could have at least kept on developing their connection and their feelings towards each other, which they seemed to be going for throughout S2. That S2 finale not only felt so out of character for both of them but also awfully abrupt, especially considering what had happened between them a few episodes earlier. What a waste !

Without really knowing my gut says they decided it was to be written in (even Manny seemed shocked) re the shooting to make sure no more sex scenes were on the table (or chair or floor) They deliberately made it not a con, not a bullet proof vest type of thing, the fans had much better scenarios that they came up with. I feel "Beth" didn't want it, she seemed cold except for a later interview toward him and didn't mention him in interviews. I realize he is a bit actor compared to her and maybe she doesn't care if it dies this season, but they don't care about fans at all. No one wants an angry Rio or him agreeing to just work with her because of a forced pregnancy or a fake one he finds out about in the end. She wanted him dead, that's not funny or anything you can recover from. 3 times seemed to seal the accident angle too.

I'm out as a regular viewer because watching the bad writing for their heists and cons is just too painful. If I read there are good scenes with Rio, I can see it on their site later. A shame, shows like Dead to Me and Workin Moms and others like it were able to make fiction believable enough to laugh and watch. This show is just pathetic.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, debraran said:

I'm out as a regular viewer because watching the bad writing for their heists and cons is just too painful. If I read there are good scenes with Rio, I can see it on their site later. ...

I still haven't watched any Season 3 episodes yet; so far (from comments here and recaps) the only things that seem interesting to me are Ruby/Stan.

• Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, debraran said:

I'm out as a regular viewer because watching the bad writing for their heists and cons is just too painful. If I read there are good scenes with Rio, I can see it on their site later. A shame, shows like Dead to Me and Workin Moms and others like it were able to make fiction believable enough to laugh and watch. This show is just pathetic.

It's crazy how I can fall in love with a show and the main actor gets upset/jealous when the side character gets way too popular and then the storylines and the future of the show gets jeopardized as a result (The Good Wife, Sex and the City).  I'm so sick of this happening.

Dead to Me had a fantastic first season, but hey, almost every show I like did.  "Good Girls" did.  I'm not ready to give them credit just yet 🙂  It's shocking for a show to make it to 3 season in the way that GG has done in this current age of television.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Episode 3.06 synopsis:

Spoiler

"FRERE JACQUES"

03/22/2020 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Sunday) :

A guilty Beth convinces the women to go to grisly lengths to keep Max out of harm's way. Meanwhile, Annie attempts to process her trauma without the help of Dr. Cohen and Ruby considers sabotaging a job opportunity that comes up for Stan. TV-14

I mean, Beth's only option now is to come up with a plan to kill Rio in the next few months, right?

I'm guessing this Ione Skye storyline will eventually lead to Dean reevaluating his life choices and the positions he put his subordinates in at the dealership, but it's deeply yucky to watch unfold.

Just came here to say I hate Annie and every time she complained about Beth's leadership I screamed at the TV "you fucked an FBI agent!" 

Also, Rio's neck tattoo is different now. New makeup artists?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I'm having a lot of trouble remembering what happened in previous seasons so I'm finding it impossible to understand what's going on now. Perhaps a lot of off-camera stuff has happened. Why does Beth want to get pregnant?

Also, is every character from previous seasons dead? The rapist supermarket manager? The nosy mother? Dead and dead?

I want to like this show but I don't think I got the smarts to follow all of this.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, scowl said:

I'm having a lot of trouble remembering what happened in previous seasons so I'm finding it impossible to understand what's going on now. Perhaps a lot of off-camera stuff has happened. Why does Beth want to get pregnant?

Also, is every character from previous seasons dead? The rapist supermarket manager? The nosy mother? Dead and dead?

I want to like this show but I don't think I got the smarts to follow all of this.

She told Rio she was pregnant, so that he wouldn't kill her. I missed how the girlfriend or ex (whatever she is) worked out the thing with the doctor, though - unless she was the one to put the idea into Rio's head, and give him the name of the doctor they saw.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Anela said:

She told Rio she was pregnant, so that he wouldn't kill her. I missed how the girlfriend or ex (whatever she is) worked out the thing with the doctor, though - unless she was the one to put the idea into Rio's head, and give him the name of the doctor they saw.

I thought she assumed he would use the same doctor they used for Marcus (I have never been sure why everyone calls him Marcus because I don't remember it ever being said on the show, lol), or that he asked her for a recommendation.

• Love 1

This is dumb.  It's a rehash of last season - they need to be rid of Rio. Yawn. I know the actor is popular, but they should have leaned into the fact that Beth killed him and left him dead and had her become deeper in crime.  Instead it is just a messy rehash of previous plots.  And there is no logical way for Rio to just get over the fact that she shot him three times.  

(edited)
2 hours ago, scowl said:

So now she needs to get a baby in her to keep the lie going?

Yes. Or, now they have a month to go, before testing can be done. The lie gave her a bit more time. 

Edited by Anela
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, deaja said:

This is dumb.  It's a rehash of last season - they need to be rid of Rio. Yawn. I know the actor is popular, but they should have leaned into the fact that Beth killed him and left him dead and had her become deeper in crime.  Instead it is just a messy rehash of previous plots.  And there is no logical way for Rio to just get over the fact that she shot him three times.  

Right? I watched a few episodes of this show the first season, and immediately disliked Beth and Annie.  My sister likes the show, and she's my roomie now so I watch.  Beth and Annie are still annoying.  Words cannot express how dumb this show has gotten.  I get it, the Rio actor is really popular.  But there's no way to square this unless this is all a dream or delusion because Beth was traumatized by killing a person and this is her way of coping.  I always roll my eyes at the "Beth is the responsible one" spiel because she's just a different kind of trainwreck compared to Annie.   

Ruby is a doormat, and I actively wish for a Ruby/Stan spinoff to get her away from the dumb sisters.        

• Love 6

I had never seen Retta in anything prior to this show but she is an awesome actress.  I appreciate her subtle, laid back comedic skills vs. the usual, typical over-the-top shtick.  She kills me every time. 

Example: When the trio are in jail visiting the idiot they hired and they are looking to her to get the info about his van and she was doing the whole "don't look at me!" thing -- her delivery and expressions?  So good.

Mae Whitman is killing it, too, and I seem to be the only fan of Annie here.  I think she is hilarious.  Would I want to know somebody like that in real life?  Hell, no.  But the things that come out of her mouth are crazy and I am here for it. 

Beth is just meh to me at this point. I appreciate that they need a straight man I suppose and this character is that, but she and even Christina Hendricks are overshadowed by the other two. 

Am I reading things right here in that Hendricks wanted the character Rio off the show or at least her character's relationship with him to go bye-bye?  If so, you suck Christina!  Like someone up thread said, way to shoot your own show in the foot!

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I had never seen Retta in anything prior to this show but she is an awesome actress.  I appreciate her subtle, laid back comedic skills vs. the usual, typical over-the-top shtick.  She kills me every time. 

You might like Parks and Recreation.  I don't think she features a lot in season 1 but she gets a bigger role. 

9 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Mae Whitman is killing it, too, and I seem to be the only fan of Annie here.  I think she is hilarious.  Would I want to know somebody like that in real life?  Hell, no.  But the things that come out of her mouth are crazy and I am here for it. 

She stars in the movie "The Duff" and I really like it.  I probably watch it once a year.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She stars in the movie "The Duff" and I really like it.  I probably watch it once a year.

I love that movie, too!  And that was the first thing I saw her in.  I am a sucker for coming-of-age teen movies. 

• Love 2

Find Your Way Back still rocks.

Aw, po widdle Dean's fee-fees got hurt thinking he was just being used as a sperm bank. Uh, newsflash, idiot. That's probably all you ever were.

Probably not smart of Beth to tell Rio's girlfriend that she wasn't really pregnant.

Hmm, I had no idea there was a difference between getting shivved and getting shanked. The more you know.

Dean really strained the heck out of that dinner metaphor. Looks like his boss is not trying to hear it though. Does he realize he's bring #metoo'ed?

Wow, the good girls paid off the OB/GYN. But how did Beth know Rio would be taking her there? Handwavy.

So I thought Beth was already pregnant by Rio and was trying to pin it on Dean. (But maybe the timing doesn't work?) Whatever, it'd have been funny if the baby came out with a tiny little neck tattoo. Her ultrasound might look like this:

bb.thumb.jpg.86829268a71902a6104b8f4c262472ee.jpg

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wow, the good girls paid off the OB/GYN. But how did Beth know Rio would be taking her there? Handwavy.

Rio's baby mama (wife? the status of their relationship is unclear) paid off the doctor, not the good girls.

• Love 3

Rio's baby mama (wife? the status of their relationship is unclear) paid off the doctor, not the good girls.

D'oh! I completely did not see that. When the doctor told Beth to thank her friend I thought she was referring to Ruby or Annie. Okay, that's so much better because I figured Rio's girlfriend told him Beth wasn't really pregnant. Guess he's still only suspicious. And apparently thinks the kid might be his since he wants a paternity test.

• Love 1

Something needs to happen on this show.  Last episode, it wasn't interesting until the end when Rio showed up.  Now, he's here and it is still boring.  Despite all the plot holes, the last season was interesting with the women's foray into crime.  Can we get back to that?  Regardless, Rio should have went scorched earth on all of them.  What is the point of this cat-and-mouse nonsense?  Can't see sticking with this, if it doesn't pick up.

• Love 7

Casting news:

Spoiler

TV Insider has learned exclusively that Lauren Lapkus (Crashing, The Big Bang Theory, Orange Is the New Black) is joining stars Christina Hendricks, Retta and Mae Whitman in a "key" Season 3 role. The actress, who is repped by UTA, will portray Phoebe Donnegan, a smart, driven young woman who is a bit on the nerdy side and owns it.

Lapkus isn't set to appear until Episode 8, but we hear she will play a major part in the third season. And considering what we know about Beth (Hendricks), Ruby (Retta) and Annie (Whitman), it sounds like her character will fit right in. A beta in high school, Phoebe is looking to right the wrongs of her youth and become a full alpha.

• Love 1

Something needs to actually freaking happen soon, we seem to be just hitting the same beats over and over again now that Rio is back. I love the actor and all, but Rio as a character has outlived his narrative usefulness, he just needs to do. The girls or Rio will need to kill the other one, which basically puts us in the same place we were last season. There is only so long that Rio can not kill Beth, even with this pregnancy gambit, which means they need to take him out. Again. 

One of Beth's big problems is that she thinks of herself as the smart one, the leader, the underappreciated responsible parent turned badass, and thats certainly her dynamic with Annie (of course basically anyone not actively eating from a garbage can is more responsible than Annie) but Beth isnt anywhere near as smart as she thinks she is. She comes up with decent short term plans, but sucks when it comes to the long term. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Just finished binge watching the first two seasons. Haven't seen the new season yet.

I really like MW but my goodness Annie is really hard to take, like really hard. I want to like her and she does have her moments but a lot of time its rough. Also some of the humor they try with her just falls flat to me. Ruby and her family are my favorite! I love her ans Stan and I'm rooting for them. Beth is a mixed bag, but a lot of times she just makes poor decisions and annoys. I do enjoy her chemistry with the Rio actor but the fact that he didn't kill them from go makes no sense. I get there would be no show, but I don't buy him as a very believable bad guy.

I do really like the chemistry of all them women too. This show doesn't make a lot of sense at times, but it was an easy and pretty enjoyable binge.

• Love 4

What a surprise, Rio isn't going to kill Beth. And of course Annie tries to seduce her therapist. Thank goodness he showed some spine and professionalism, though I expect him to cave eventually. At least he got in a diagnosis that seemed to register a bit with her.

Retta's story is the most interesting. The overall one, as others have written, is just a boring rehash. 

• Love 12

Glad they didn't go there with Annie and her therapist, but think they might in the future.

I don't buy that basically every guy Annie talks to is attracted to her. To me this is the part of the show that requires the most suspension of disbelief. I get that the guys are messes themselves, but she's so unappealing. 

• Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, Miss Scarlet said:

Glad they didn't go there with Annie and her therapist, but think they might in the future.

I don't buy that basically every guy Annie talks to is attracted to her. To me this is the part of the show that requires the most suspension of disbelief. I get that the guys are messes themselves, but she's so unappealing. 

I think it's because she gives off desperation.

Phoebe:  Why don't you ask HIM out?

Joey:  Oh yeah, totally. That's such a turn on.

Rachel:  Really?  It doesn't seem desperate?

Joey:  That's the turn on.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

I enjoyed the Canadian shout outs to Tim Hortons and Gordie Howe.  I also really enjoy the eclectic musical track to this show.  I take the show for what it is and still enjoy the hell out of it.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I think the reason this season has been dragging for me is that I got used to the girls having more villains to deal with than just Rio: Turner, Boomer, Mary Pat, etc. Turns out there's a lot of empty space that needs filling when they're not juggling antagonists.

Of course Rio wasn't going to kill Beth. And of course they were going to end up back in business together.

There's no way that new firearm of Dean's isn't going to make a reappearance. It's a literal Chekhov's Gun.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

I enjoy the conversations between the women. When they were surprised at Annie being in therapy and asked if it was physical therapy, I laughed so hard. “What’s wrong with the way I run?”

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:12 PM, Cementhead said:

I'll sit with you!  I love Annie.

15 hours ago, Cementhead said:

I enjoyed the Canadian shout outs to Tim Hortons and Gordie Howe.  I also really enjoy the eclectic musical track to this show.  I take the show for what it is and still enjoy the hell out of it.   

I wish I could like your post 100x.  I have trouble reading these boards because it seems all anyone does is complain about the show.  I understand these boards are for discussing TV shows--the good and the bad aspects-- I just have trouble understanding why so many people  here seem to continue watching a show they hate so much, and seemingly get no enjoyment out of.  *shrugs*   Just glad to know I'm not the only one who gets some enjoyment from it!

• Love 6
On 3/4/2020 at 1:38 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Hmm, I had no idea there was a difference between getting shivved and getting shanked. The more you know.

Marjorie on "Mom" would disagree with the explanation presented on this show 😉

• LOL 6