Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was so annoyed with Annie staying with her ex's laboring wife. Yes, Sadie asked her to, but the lady clearly asked her to leave several times.  Sadie's opinion does not trump the opinion of the person in labor!

I'm thinking the new manager is a plant now.  Last week, I was going with just an overly predictable new manager, but now I'm thinking plant who will feel inappopriately close to Annie and fail to turn her in at a crucial time or something.

Beth was way too bitchy to Ruby considering all Ruby and Stan have put on the line in part because Beth keeps getting them in deeper and deeper.

2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I didn't really think it was set in Atlanta, that threw me when I did a google search. 

I knew it was supposed to be Detroit area, but the flashback scene with the 3 girls made me think they grew up someplace else. That house and the vegetation looked 'warm climate' to me. And considering that Detroit is basically winter 7 months a year, we haven't seen snow yet, have we?

I was wrong about Noah-apparently Turner IS cunning enough to send an undercover fake boyfriend into Annie's messy life. I'll risk another mis-assessment, and say that I think it might turn out to be a genuine romance, this time.

• Love 3

I loved the flashbacks of Beth and Annie meeting Ruby. I think that no matter what goes down, they're all gonna come out of this together.

Fuckin' Dean, you guys. I wish Beth had called the thugs' bluff and let them turn in her husband for conspiracy to commit murder. I guess that would have opened up a whole can of worms about why Dean would want Rio murdered in the first place, but I think Beth could convince him to just say he was angry they'd slept together, and leave out the criminal stuff for the sake of their kids.

He's also got some nerve taking those kids. Remember when he had no clue how to do a single thing for them on his own? I'm sure he'll come crawling back eventually.

The polygraph scene seemed so off to me. First of all, don't they only ask you yes or no questions? And even if you "fail" it's not proof of anything--those machines are consistently unreliable. They're actually super easy to cheat and I'm surprised Stan didn't try one of those methods, like poking a thumbtack into your skin to make your base heartbeat more erratic and throw off the results. Did he also say you get your SAT results back immediately? Uh, no you don't. Even in the age of scantrons.

Sadie coming out to Annie made me tear up. I agree with others that Annie is prone to so many mistakes but the love and acceptance she has for her son just filled my heart with so much warmth. You want every kid going through what Sadie's going through to have a mom like that.

10 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I was thinking for a minute it was set in New England as they said "frappe" which I thought was a NE thing.

I think they just said "frap", short for frappuccino. The second time the kid was eating a cake pop so I think both meetings were at a Starbucks.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

Did he also say you get your SAT results back immediately? Uh, no you don't. Even in the age of scantrons.

He said you get the lie detector results immediately; it's not like the SATs, which take 3 to 4 weeks.

I thought the lie detector test was more to rattle the people they're giving them to, not to be anything that will legally stand up in court. The FBI can put pressure on Stan, saying they know he lied, so fess up or else. Stan and Ruby are already on edge. It's not a bad strategy.

• Love 1

I wish someone would explain to me why Agent Turner is soooo gung-ho over a pen cap that was found at the scene.  That scene was not some private residence, but a very public grocery store.  So what if Beth's DNA is on that cap?  There is no evidence that the cap was dropped during the robbery--Beth could have dropped it on any one of hundreds of normal trips to that store buying groceries.

• Useful 4
  • Love 15
12 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I loved the flashbacks of Beth and Annie meeting Ruby. I think that no matter what goes down, they're all gonna come out of this together.

Fuckin' Dean, you guys. I wish Beth had called the thugs' bluff and let them turn in her husband for conspiracy to commit murder. I guess that would have opened up a whole can of worms about why Dean would want Rio murdered in the first place, but I think Beth could convince him to just say he was angry they'd slept together, and leave out the criminal stuff for the sake of their kids.

He's also got some nerve taking those kids. Remember when he had no clue how to do a single thing for them on his own? I'm sure he'll come crawling back eventually.

The polygraph scene seemed so off to me. First of all, don't they only ask you yes or no questions? And even if you "fail" it's not proof of anything--those machines are consistently unreliable. They're actually super easy to cheat and I'm surprised Stan didn't try one of those methods, like poking a thumbtack into your skin to make your base heartbeat more erratic and throw off the results. Did he also say you get your SAT results back immediately? Uh, no you don't. Even in the age of scantrons.

Sadie coming out to Annie made me tear up. I agree with others that Annie is prone to so many mistakes but the love and acceptance she has for her son just filled my heart with so much warmth. You want every kid going through what Sadie's going through to have a mom like that.

I think they just said "frap", short for frappuccino. The second time the kid was eating a cake pop so I think both meetings were at a Starbucks.

The Sadie scene was beautiful.

23 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Years ago I read this (terribly-written) true crime book called Bully (later made into a movie) about this really horrible teenage bully and his friends got together and murdered him. They hired a "hitman" for, like, $30 or something, I forget, but they all ended up taking part - IIRC his best friend was the one who killed him. And at one point after the murder, the best friend was like "I'm afraid the hitman will come after us!" and somebody else (that wasn't involved in the killing) is like "Fool, forget that hitman, that's just some idiot y'all fell for." That's what I thought of when I saw those frapp-drinking teenagers. You can tell Dean ain't about that life. I loved when Rio was laughing about it. (He's so hot.)

I'd wondered how Beth and Annie knew Ruby so it was nice to get the back story.

Whoever called Noah as FBI got it in one!

There is zero way I would get into anybody's birthing pool. No ma'am. Afterward I kept thinking "SHE MUST STINK." She was all hugged up on Noah and Sadie and I kept thinking "EW." I laughed when Sadie called her on it. I honestly don't think I'd even stop to say hi to Sadie in that situation - at the VERY least I'd have to take off those stank-ass clothes.

It's set in Detroit - they drove to Canada last season. I assumed that Ruby and Stan had no insurance before he became a cop. I'm sure Ruby didn't have any as a diner employee.

Careless, impulsive, and immature. She pawned her nana's wedding ring! But she does have a good heart.

I thought "You're really just going to STEP OVER your husband to look for your money?" I mean, fuck Dean, but OUCH. Their marriage really is over.

The irony is those punk kids were almost exactly the type of character Mathew Lillard used to play in real life when he was younger.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, helenamonster said:

However remember Beth is now part of a larger criminal conspiracy a drug and counterfeiting money smuggling crew at best. And her boss has shot her husband along with issuing other terrorist threats.

The polygraph is probably good for nothing but serving as a tool to frighten. And thus the FBI frightened the rookie cop.

• Love 1

Yay! Beth/Ruby/Annie backstory! Liked the flashbacks showing how they became friends.

So - was the Krav Maga trainer just screwing with Dean? Because two druggie teens(?) didn't seem to be the type he'd be associated with, much less have on call as hitmen. Anyway, Dean still sucks.

I hate that Stan is going to take the fall for the pen cap; but that's better than prison for money laundering. Evidence tampering is the only thing they have on him, right? I just want Ruby and Stan to be okay.

Kudos to those who called that Noah was undercover! I skipped most of Annie's scenes this week, though. Annie can be careless, but do we think that, accidentally or not, she will be the one to spill information that will expose the Girls' criminal activities?

I don't want Rio going around shooting people, but maybe Beth could have let him handle the situation since he offered. And about that - I was kinda disappointed that Beth and Ruby backed down so quickly from the girl at the apartment. I know she had a gun, but so did the drug dealers they escaped from just last week. I just can't believe they're going to let that chick get away with all their cash.

• Love 8

I was so confused. After Dean met with the two teen (?) thugs, we had Beth and Ruby meeting with two different teen thugs demanding the money back. Or, at least one of them was a different person. Then at the end when the cops arrested them it was the two original thugs. WTF. So I guess Dean had to confess to Beth he tried to hire two thugs to kill Rio and give her their names and contact info so she could meet with them? And then some other guy showed up for the meeting?

RE: the lie detector test. Coincidentally I had just finished listening to a podcast with a polygraph expert and generally what they show on TV and in movies isn't realistic. The machine itself doesn't have the needles wiggling back and forth on a scroll of paper like an EKG readout anymore. They are pretty foolproof nowadays and most of the ways people think you can "fool" them don't work anymore.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:19 AM, SailorGirl said:

My immediate thought regarding the new store manager was that he's undercover FBI assigned to befriend Annie. But wow did they get friendly! In real life there are stories of undercover agents going to extreme lengths to maintain their cover, so who knows, especially since this show does take liberties with reality alignment. 

He just seemed way too cool, way too accommodating, and way too interested in Annie right off the bat. If he's not FBI, that's not the way you manage a business. . . 

I love it when I get things right! 😄 (this rarely happens, so either this is poorly written show or just by sheer numbers, I finally got a prediction right! 😄 😄 😄 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was so confused. After Dean met with the two teen (?) thugs, we had Beth and Ruby meeting with two different teen thugs demanding the money back. Or, at least one of them was a different person. Then at the end when the cops arrested them it was the two original thugs. WTF. So I guess Dean had to confess to Beth he tried to hire two thugs to kill Rio and give her their names and contact info so she could meet with them? And then some other guy showed up for the meeting?

They were the same guys.  The first scene the guy is wearing a hat but with Beth & Annie he wasn’t. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, qtpye said:

The irony is those punk kids were almost exactly the type of character Mathew Lillard used to play in real life when he was younger.

I didn't notice that at first, but you're spot on--the one on the right was giving me serious Stu Macher vibes.

• Love 3

Aww, Sam Huntington is my second favorite werewolf! (Being Human, US version) Russell Tovey is my first fav (Being Human, UK version). UK version was the best until it went off the rails, literally! Anyway, Sam was a very sweet werewolf. Recommend series to his fans.

I hoped he was going to be a good guy, not a skeevy manager/FBI agent. Dun dun dun. Ruh ro, Annie.

On 4/22/2019 at 10:43 AM, deaja said:

Beth was way too bitchy to Ruby considering all Ruby and Stan have put on the line in part because Beth keeps getting them in deeper and deeper.

I really enjoyed the flashback to youth scenes. I can't really blame Ruby for being a snitch, she was only in it to get money for her daughter's health issues. Now she can't get out and she's running scared. Just a really bad situation for her and Stan.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

I really enjoyed the flashback to youth scenes. I can't really blame Ruby for being a snitch, she was only in it to get money for her daughter's health issues. Now she can't get out and she's running scared. Just a really bad situation for her and Stan.

And, until I read your comment, I didn't even think about this, but, based on the flashback scenes, we know Ruby knows what it is like to grow up without a father she had been close to. I would imagine they're using that as motivation for her character's struggle of choosing Beth or Stan. . . does she really want her actions to be the reason her kids grow up without a father, or a father in prison? 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 6

I didnt realize that Ruby had been childhood friends with Beth and Annie, that just makes this whole situation even sadder. I dont blame her for turning on them, even if its just superficially, she seems like she understands growing up without a father who she loved and was close with, so she cant imagine her kids losing their dad over something she did, even with good intentions. 

Annie frequently makes awful life choices and frustrates me, but her love for Sadie and constant support is really sweet. 

So Annie's new guy is in fact an undercover agent. God dang the amount of effort that is going into catching these three random women who are, at best, low ranking associates of a local crime gang. Turner really does have a bee in his bonnet about them, its only a matter of time until she really crosses a legal and ethical line. Maybe thats how the get him to back off? Catch him doing something illegal, and bam! Mutually assured destruction. 

• Love 5

I figured that Noah was FBI, but damn, it would have been nice to be wrong. 

Dean is a selfish moron. He cheated on her with at least four women, she had sex with Rio when Dean once again dismissed her, and screwed them financially, and he can't take it. I think that he would have checked on the money, too - and I knew as soon as I heard him talking about paying them, that he would take them to the garden, and then be robbed. 

Loved that last bit with Annie and Sadie, and that she was there for the pregnant wife. Although that seemed like another Gilmore Girls thing, from when Rory called Lorelai, after Chris' new wife called her from the hospital. There was no hugging and goo, though. 

• Love 4

So I clearly missed a scene where we found out that Annie's new guy is FBI - I remember thinking he might be, but I think I missed confirmation. When was it?

19 minutes ago, Anela said:

Dean is a selfish moron. He cheated on her with at least four women, she had sex with Rio when Dean once again dismissed her, and screwed them financially, and he can't take it.

He's a horrible husband.  However, he didn't take the kids on a drug run and lead to them thinking their daughter had been kidnapped.  Dean completely sucks, but I don't blame him if he's done with Beth at this point.  Once you put the kids in danger, I'd be out.

3 minutes ago, deaja said:

So I clearly missed a scene where we found out that Annie's new guy is FBI - I remember thinking he might be, but I think I missed confirmation. When was it?

He's a horrible husband.  However, he didn't take the kids on a drug run and lead to them thinking their daughter had been kidnapped.  Dean completely sucks, but I don't blame him if he's done with Beth at this point.  Once you put the kids in danger, I'd be out.

He also tried to get a man murdered, though, which would take him away from his kids, and probably their mother, too. They both suck, really. 

• Love 6

Young Beth is driving herself and Annie to the grocery store because their Mom is "in bed." Alcoholic, junkie, or depressed?  No mention of a father at all.  There is clearly some dysfunction in that household.  

And then she latched on to a guy who had a dad that owned a car dealership - ie, money!  And security, stability, and everything else someone who grows up in a chaotic upbringing might crave.  

I'd been wondering, given how good she's been at creating a very elaborate lie with a lot of background details, on the spot, what her family of origin was like.  And why she ceded so much of the money details to Dean.  

These flashbacks really explained a lot.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Anela said:

He also tried to get a man murdered, though, which would take him away from his kids, and probably their mother, too. They both suck, really. 

They definitely both suck, but I think Dean taking supposed hit men to their house AND showing them the money was dumber and more dangerous. These people now know where they live, whereas the guys Beth was dealing with do not (though she obviously thought they did when she couldn't find her daughter).

ETA: I also noticed that the infidelity was apparently the only reason Dean gave those kids for wanting Rio dead, which says a lot. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he said more but they just latched onto that part, but Rio shot him and held a gun to his wife in the backyard, and he didn't consider having him killed until he realized he'd also banged his wife, so that's clearly his main motivation.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, LaMatadita said:

ETA: I also noticed that the infidelity was apparently the only reason Dean gave those kids for wanting Rio dead, which says a lot. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he said more but they just latched onto that part, but Rio shot him and held a gun to wife in the backyard, and he didn't consider having him killed until he realized he'd also banged his wife, so that's clearly his main motivation.

Maybe Dean is smart enough not to tell them he wants him dead  because the guy destroyed a car in their car dealership until they agreed to let him run his drug operation through them.   I think the sex is a big part of Dean’s motivation, but I also think he just wants Rio out of their lives.   He’s been beat up, shot, had his wife cheat on him, and lost control of the dealership all as a direct result of Rio  being in their lives. 

2 hours ago, deaja said:

There was a scene at the end of the episode where he and Turner were eating together in the FBI office and talking about the case.

2 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

ETA: I also noticed that the infidelity was apparently the only reason Dean gave those kids for wanting Rio dead, which says a lot. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he said more but they just latched onto that part, but Rio shot him and held a gun to wife in the backyard, and he didn't consider having him killed until he realized he'd also banged his wife, so that's clearly his main motivation.

Ding ding ding. Dean didn't want Rio dead until after he realized he'd had sex with Beth. He didn't feel remotely this angry towards the same guy when he shot him--if anything, he was angrier at Beth about that. Dean is lashing out because he feels emasculated, not out of some primal extinct to protect his family.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, deaja said:

Maybe Dean is smart enough not to tell them he wants him dead  because the guy destroyed a car in their car dealership until they agreed to let him run his drug operation through them.   I think the sex is a big part of Dean’s motivation, but I also think he just wants Rio out of their lives.   He’s been beat up, shot, had his wife cheat on him, and lost control of the dealership all as a direct result of Rio  being in their lives.

Considering that Dean was dumb enough to think those two turds were capable hit men AND take them to his home AND show them where the money was buried, I'm not really willing to give Dean credit for being smart enough to withhold information from them. And while I understand that he feels like he and his family are not safe because of the things that Rio has done, it's infuriating that he cannot seem to accept any responsibility for the fact that his own actions started Beth down the path towards Rio in the first place! (Not that Beth couldn't have chosen to NOT rob a grocery store, but Dean still got that ball rolling by being a liar and a cheat who took his wife for granted.)

It's funny to me that despite the things Rio has done, I still like him more than I like Dean, and many other viewers seem to feel the same way. The fact that Manny Montana is charismatic and extremely easy on the eyes probably plays no small part in that, but most of us are more than capable of hating characters played by good-looking actors, so that's not the whole story.

I think another part of the explanation is that the writers want me to like Rio more--I've seen flatter characters than Dean, but Rio definitely has more layers, and on top of that, many of his layers are sensed but not known, if that makes sense. He's just more psychologically interesting to me because his livelihood relies on people being afraid of him, but we've seen him be vulnerable and kind with Beth, and he rarely (not never, but rarely) makes good on his threats or does actual physical harm to the people on the show.

Some of that may be the writers holding back so that he can remain a palatable (to some) romantic interest for Beth, but I also think Manny Montana makes many of us think there's a backstory there that we don't know, and may never know. In fact, I think he puts a lot of effort into Rio's body language and facial expressions, to the point where there's sometimes an entire story being told without words.

So yeah, Rio is not what I would call a good person, but since this is not real life, I can like characters who are by no means good people, especially if I find them more interesting than other characters who hold more moral currency. If this was real life, I would think Dean was a dick, but I would be terrified of Rio.

(Just FYI, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about Rio. I just started thinking about why I like him more than I like Dean, even though Rio's clearly got a lot more black in his grey than Dean does.)

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

So how did the girls explain to Rio where the money went and how is he not super pissed about Dean trying to have him killed?

Also how does getting the hitmen arrested solve anything? They still have the recording of Dean and now they can identify Beth. Plus they know about the large sums of illegal money. 

I did like how they explained that the dealership was Dean's dad. It explains how such an idiot can have a successful business.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:20 PM, helenamonster said:

The polygraph scene seemed so off to me. First of all, don't they only ask you yes or no questions? And even if you "fail" it's not proof of anything--those machines are consistently unreliable. They're actually super easy to cheat and I'm surprised Stan didn't try one of those methods, like poking a thumbtack into your skin to make your base heartbeat more erratic and throw off the results.

Not admissible in court but probably enough to put him on suspension. Plus if they are already surveiling the girls, enough to make them sweat, see what happens and generate more evidence.

Also anyone suspect that the FBI guy having sex with Annie is going to hurt their investigation?

• Love 2
On 4/22/2019 at 7:43 AM, deaja said:

I was so annoyed with Annie staying with her ex's laboring wife. Yes, Sadie asked her to, but the lady clearly asked her to leave several times.  Sadie's opinion does not trump the opinion of the person in labor!

According to TV anyway, women in labor say all sorts of mean and antagonistic things.  I think if it would have been better for Annie to leave, the doula would have sent her packing instead of encouraging her.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:20 AM, sempervivum said:

I knew it was supposed to be Detroit area, but the flashback scene with the 3 girls made me think they grew up someplace else.

23 hours ago, lefawn said:

And then she latched on to a guy who had a dad that owned a car dealership

Since the guy Beth was going to go to prom with is almost certainly Dean (unless she liked one guy who was the son of a car salesman and later married a different guy who was a car salesman -- maybe she has a "type"!), it looks like they grew up where they now live.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:52 PM, helenamonster said:

There was a scene at the end of the episode where he and Turner were eating together in the FBI office and talking about the case.

Ding ding ding. Dean didn't want Rio dead until after he realized he'd had sex with Beth. He didn't feel remotely this angry towards the same guy when he shot him--if anything, he was angrier at Beth about that. Dean is lashing out because he feels emasculated, not out of some primal extinct to protect his family.

And it also makes him EVEN MORE of hypocritical ass given that he cheated on Beth with a lot of different women. Like he has any grounds to be bothered by her cheating on HIM?  

• Love 6

Jesus, Beth. Why are you such an ass? You had plenty of time to get out of there WITH your money and instead you argue with Ruby in a drug den? WTF? 

I'm starting to hope that Beth gets taken down. And I have a feeling that is not the writers intent. 

Seeing Rio laughing in the bright-lit yard made me so happy. I know he's a terrible crime-lord, but the actor is so attractive I just... *swoon*

• Love 6

Next episode:

"One Last Time"

04/28/2019

Stan faces the consequences for his role in Ruby's criminal dealings. Meanwhile, Dean gives Beth an ultimatum, and Greg clashes with Annie's new boyfriend.

TV-14 DSL

I'm going to have to re-watch and add more thoughts later, but for now:

So Turner actually doesn't have anything solid on Stan, he just wants him to flip (lie) on Beth? I think we kinda of knew this already, but now we know for sure that Turner is playing dirty. I hate that Stan might now be disillusioned with law enforcement, not to mention he probably can't go back to that career.

I get that Ruby just wants to be honest with her family, but I hate that now her daughter is now distrustful(?) of her dad. 😞 I just want Ruby and her family to be okay! 😥

I did appreciate the subplot of them kidnapping the cashier; going back to some of their dark comedy roots. That dude sounds like this happens to him regularly! Although, I feel like too many people are learning about the Girls' shady dealings.

For the kids sake, I'm glad that Beth and Dean kinda reconciled.

So we finally got to that bedroom hookup that they've teasing for a while. Wow, Beth really just left the cash on the dresser and left Rio's naked, post coital self in her bed!

How long do we think Beth will last being 'out' this time?

Skipped Annie/Noah.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

What was Agent Turner's evidence that he used to obtain a warrant for Stan's arrest? A polygraph isn't admissible in court. Even if Ruby provided Agent Turner with testimony of Stan's involvement, Stan can always invoke his spousal privilege. I guess that might be ok as probable cause for a warrant, but a judge and a prosecutor would rightly classify a prosecution based on the "evidence" Turner has, but can't use as a loser. It is such a loser of a case that I can see a lot of judges not granting Turner the warrant.

And then when Turner had Stan in custody, Turner admitted he had no evidence. So how did he get the fucking warrant? I don't think they gave Stan a Miranda warning. All of this would lead one to believe that it was a material witness warrant, but Ruby wouldn't need to bail him out. Material witness warrants don't really expire so how was Stan free to leave?

The worst part of Turner's gambit is that he's almost certainly never going to get Ruby, Stan, Beth, or Annie to come to him proactively if shit gets out of control because he ruined his shot by showing his cards tooearly. Furthermore, Turner is ignoring the single most obvious target to flip--Dean. Dean was shot. He's conspicuously not running Boland Motors. Turner recently busted those two dopes that the girls set up; those morons would have flipped had Turner bothered to follow up. Literally just ask questions. 

I don't know why the FBI isn't just following the women. They are hella sketchy and not particularly discrete.

I've mentioned Imposters before. It wasn't perfect, but I appreciated that the show rarely depicted the FBI failing to follow up on leads. The FBI was ostensibly "the bad guys" as far as our protagonists were concerned, but the show always made sure to show the collateral damage that the protagonists' actions caused. Unfortunately, Turner is a combo of obsessed, kind of lazy, and kind of dumb.

3 hours ago, Trini said:

I get that Ruby just wants to be honest with her family, but I hate that now her daughter is now distrustful(?) of her dad. 😞 I just want Ruby and her family to be okay! 😥

There is kid stuff aka things kids need to know. There is adult stuff aka things only adults need to know. There is family stuff aka things the whole family needs to know. When Stan is actually prosecuted for the pen, Ruby can start discussing this as part of family stuff. If Stan is convicted, Ruby can add more info to family stuff. This was very premature especially with no context.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Trini said:

They are SO CUTE. That opening scene in the morning* when Ruby couldn't get the kids up and they bantered: "I'm done." "You quit?"

*Shout out to the show runners for having Ruby and her daughter in head scarves in the morning.

8 hours ago, Trini said:

For the kids sake, I'm glad that Beth and Dean kinda reconciled.

Meh. I'm of the belief that staying together for the kids is rarely wise, and Beth and Dean have a long way to go before they're even halfway functional. (The show is portraying the kids as clueless, which IMO the older ones wouldn't be. A LOT of fucked-up shit has happened in their world in a pretty short time.) I keep thinking about what Beth said about never having looked at Dean the way Ruby looks at Stan. 

I FELL OUT at "I studied finance at MSU, bitch." Actually, Payday Loan Guy was pretty funny. "I can smell the chorizo!"

$35K at a payday loan place would take you a thousand years to pay off, and it would be a million by the time you were done.

I have to kind of respect Greg's "game recognize game" take re: Noah. And come on. I don't know how long Noah and Annie have been hooking up, but she really just left him in her place overnight? When Sadie was going to be coming and going? I'd have been pissed if I were Greg too. The whole dick-measuring thing was unnecessary, but I think the "who are you and how much are you going to be around my kid?" thing was not.

• LOL 1
  • Love 21

Just going to add my support for all the things already said about how many aspects of Turner's investigation don't really add up.

I am worried for Ruby. Past experience should have taught them all that nothing good can come of giving your real address to the dude who knows you robbed his place of employment.

I hope the final scene with Annie is a fakeout... I will have nothing but love for her if Noah's manipulative and very obvious lie tweaked her to the fact that he might not be what he seems, so she just fed him a bunch of BS. But this is Annie we're talking about, so probably not.

Even though we didn't see it, I always thought that Beth and Rio's bathroom hookup ended with her straightening herself up and walking out without a word, and now I'm even more sure that's how it went down. Their kiss scene, and the buildup to it, was definitely not what I expected. I thought he was at least going to know it was the last time before it happened, not after! I also thought it was just going to be a sexy roll in the hay, but I feel like the whole sequence was actually really awkward and sweet, and his reaction to her mismatched socks just killed me dead. On the one hand, I definitely think he let his feelings show and she gutted him. On the other hand, he's a pragmatist and he learned how to compartmentalize long ago, so I'm sure the wheels are already turning as to what this means for his business. He's definitely about to put the big scary "I'm a sociopathic gang leader" mask back on. Fun times.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 5

I don't know why the FBI isn't just following the women.

Yep, I've wondered that too, which is why I'm also wondering if Turner has gone a little rogue and perhaps doesn't have official sanction to be going after the good girls the way he is.

How long do we think Beth will last being 'out' this time? 

Seven days? 🙂 I also am sure she's going to be riding Rio's joystick again even though she made a big production of giving him the kiss-off. Next time he's probably going to make her beg though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Is there a reason I didn't catch why Ruby didn't just go to a bail bondsman? Yes, I know there are Big Issues with that whole system, but not "having" to rob another store versus going to a bail bondsman? Magically having $35,000 instead of $3,500 for a bail bond seems like a way to further ping the FBI's radar but quick.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

Is there a reason I didn't catch why Ruby didn't just go to a bail bondsman? Yes, I know there are Big Issues with that whole system, but not "having" to rob another store versus going to a bail bondsman? Magically having $35,000 instead of $3,500 for a bail bond seems like a way to further ping the FBI's radar but quick.

Nope, it wasn't mentioned. I had the same thought.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

Their kiss scene, and the buildup to it, was definitely not what I expected. <...> I feel like the whole sequence was actually really awkward and sweet, and his reaction to her mismatched socks just killed me dead.

The most awkward seduction I've seen in a while! I guess it was kinda sweet, but I don't think that word really fits this relationship/these two. At least we got to see a kiss this time!

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

THIS!

Also why has no one lawyered up?  I know lots of cops and they're the first ones to tell friends and family you say nothing and call a lawyer - usually with 3+ recommendations on who they consider to be good criminal defense lawyers. Sure if it's their case they don't want people to lawyer up but when it comes to the folks in their life it's a lawyer palooza.  And no mention of the usual tension between the feds and local law enforcement? Puh-leaze. With a lawyer and a union rep Stan could easily become the poster child for federal agents running roughshod over "good" local cops and disregarding chain of custody/evidentiary protections just to get a bust.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Empress1 said:

*Shout out to the show runners for having Ruby and her daughter in head scarves in the morning.

YES!!!!!

$35K at a payday loan place would take you a thousand years to pay off, and it would be a million by the time you were done.

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

59 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Nope, it wasn't mentioned. I had the same thought.

Yeah, no one in their right mind would go to a payday loan place. They might go to a title loan place and use their house as collateral or go to a bail bondsman and do the same. This made me wonder what the 35K was for because we never see Stan arraigned and there's no discussion of a lawyer. So if he hadn't been arraigned and he has no lawyer, what is the bail for?  You're either arraigned or you're not. You can't just ask for bail for an individual who has been arrested, but not formally charged by the court. This gets to my point from before that a prosecutor wouldn't present this case to a judge for Stan to be arraigned because they have no admissible evidence. Stan's attorney would have had the charges dismissed easily. The writing was sooooooooo very sloppy.

I have to kind of respect Greg's "game recognize game" take re: Noah. And come on. I don't know how long Noah and Annie have been hooking up, but she really just left him in her place overnight? When Sadie was going to be coming and going? I'd have been pissed if I were Greg too. The whole dick-measuring thing was unnecessary, but I think the "who are you and how much are you going to be around my kid?" thing was not.

Annie has terrible impulse control and horrible boundaries. Greg didn't need to get all huffy and mark his territory. There are perfectly valid reasons for Greg to be upset that Annie has let this stranger around their child.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yep, I've wondered that too, which is why I'm also wondering if Turner has gone a little rogue and perhaps doesn't have official sanction to be going after the good girls the way he is.

Oooh, I think you are correct on this one! Seems like he and Noah are the only ones working this "case," and as someone else pointed out, he probably coerced Noah into helping him because he has dirt on Noah!

6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I don't think anything is over. We know Beth is going to get right back in the game, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if she and Rio hooked up again.

Oh, I don't think they're over, either. I think this was just a way to a) make it clear that he does have capital F Feelings for her and create some sympathy for him, and b) make it seem at least somewhat justified for him to put his gameface back on. Can't have them getting too comfortable yet!

7 minutes ago, Trini said:

The most awkward seduction I've seen in a while! I guess it was kinda sweet, but I don't think word really fits this relationship/these two. At least we got to see a kiss this time!

It really worked for me because I didn't see his side of things coming at all. I loved how aware they both were that this was the first time she'd actually invited him into her home. The second he walked into her house, he was acting like he was pretty sure she was going to give him a present that he really, really wanted, but he was afraid that if he showed too much excitement, she would change her mind. He was trying to be calm and help her through her nervousness, and then the second they locked lips, all that just went out the window. To me, this was the writers changing the game and showing that there is actually more to them than smokin' chemistry. He sees the whole Beth package, not just the sexy crime brain and the hourglass figure, and he is into it. (It's also total audience wish fulfillment, but hey, I'm more than happy to have Beth fill in for me!)

• Love 7

Glad that Beth got her kids back,  and that Greg knows something is up with this new guy. Even if he is a douche, if he actually looks out for Annie for a change, that would be a good thing. I hope Sadie tells Annie that he was going through her things. I don't buy that he was fooled that easily.

The part with the payday guy was funny, and he had to know they weren't actually going to shoot him. Just be a pain in the ass, and get some free food, until the safe opens. Now I want a burrito. 

Poor Stan. Not only did he do something illegal, just to save his family, he's now disillusioned with "the good guys". 

• Love 3

I'm such a sucker for Rio and Beth.  That entire scene from the bar to the bedroom  was excellent.  I loved the production of no music and pretty lighting.  I loved how nervous they were.  If the bathroom hookup was just scratching an itch that has been building, this was something else for both of them.  I don't know if it is purposeful, but Montana played it with a lot of feeling, like Rio caught feelings, right?  (or am I just making that up?!) The kiss sequence was also nicely done...tentative...calm...then, pure heat.  The end was marred by her "ending it all", and she did him super dirty by leaving the stacks on the nightstand and telling him to head out (looking like a whole damn meal on that bed, tho!).  But.  But!  I kinda like the turnaround "hit it and quit it" b/c usually the situation is reversed.  I'm a sucker for sure b/c I felt really sad for him and his hurt face.  She's gonna pay for that the next time she needs his help, which she inevitably will. 

How long is she really going to be out, though?  I'm with you guys.  She can say she doesn't want it (him, the money, the danger, the power, you pick), but she's had more than a taste and I think her id will have her coming right back.  

I think Beth's interactions with Dean were the most realistic I've seen. You can see these glimpses of them working together to build a life.  I do, however, believe that those days are over. She loves her babies and she thinks Dean is a good dad.  But, that seems to me to be all they have.

Oh Ruby.  My heart breaks.  I love Stan, and I hate this is happening to him and no one else.  I hate that his kid is looking at him differently. 

I'm freaking out for when this Noah fallout happens.  Annie, girl.  What IS you doing?!  Having Noah over and watching Sadie after sexing him a few times feels very irresponsible.  Like many of you, I appreciate Greg's "game recognize game" (TM one of you lovely ppl), and that momentarily making her think a bit differently.  I can't believe she is going to spill to Noah all the business.  Any bets on whether THIS is the evidence Turner needs to raid Boland's Motor?!  

• Love 12

I wish this show got more traction because it really is a fun show that deserves better.  

Ruby and Stan are relationship goals.  I really love how he was all nonchalant about asking her how she got the money to bail him out:  not so sure where the writers are going with the daughter.  Is she the one who got the transplant?

Beth and Dean have been the most likeable as a couple as they have ever been.  Their talk was incredibly realistic and a long time coming.

I did a doubletake when I recognized the guy who played Noah.  Oh Josh from my beloved US version of Being Human....playing a guy I want to see someone kil by the end of the season.

• Love 5

I also liked the little detail of Ruby's house having been the house she grew up in, left to her by her mother. A security guard turned cop (so not too many bigger paychecks under his belt yet) and a diner waitress/donut shop cashier with a daughter with a pre-existing condition would have a hard time saving money to buy a place. And you can tell their place is older and hasn't been updated.

• Love 5

So much this!  Really, she lets some guy she barely knows hang out with her kid unsupervised?  Annie really makes the most astoundingly bad choices.  As my mother would say:  she has shit for brains.

I really feel for Ruby and Stan.  Stan's defeated, disillusioned attitude when she bailed him out was heartbreaking. 

• Love 6

I'm assuming Stan's bail was $350K since you only need 10% down. Which makes no sense because he's a cop with no priors and not a flight risk and from what we could tell they didn't even have enough evidence against him to charge him and yet clearly he was charged and bailed out. WTF?? I just don't see how they can sustain this story much longer with Turner breathing down their necks and now Stan's career seems to be over.

Am I the only one who isn't shipping Beth and Rio? The whole thing just squicks me out. 

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Am I the only one who isn't shipping Beth and Rio? The whole thing just squicks me out. 

No. You’re not.

2 hours ago, Absurda said:

Really, she lets some guy she barely knows hang out with her kid unsupervised? 

That's a situation that could go very, very wrong, very, very quickly. Annie has a good heart but she has very little sense.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, deaja said:

No. You’re not.

Same. That's why I didn't mention it this time. I suppose I can see it from Beth's side: she was letting go of something and someone that excited her, but I didn't like it. 

• Love 4