Type keyword(s) to search

Disjointed - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Ugh. Laff Track.

I second that.  I am here because I love Kathy Bates , she is one of my favorite actresses. The 2 guest episodes she did on Mike & Molly were 2 of my favorites because she gave so much with the  character, so I was looking forward to this, but that Laff track is the worst, it's stopping the flow of the show. The actors are saying their lines and then they do an obvious uncomfortable pause 

( insert laff) then  start talking again. Its.worse than the laff track on MASH. I am going to watch at least the first 5 and see if Kathy and her young cast mates can rise above that track.

• Love 3

So, I actually watched the whole show... and I surprisingly didn't hate it. The pilot was awful, I don't like the laugh track and Dank and Dabby are very annoying, but it kind of grew on me.

Pete is my favourite character and I love his conversations with his plants. I also like Carter.

I think some of the serious moments, Carter talking to Ruth about his PTSD were really good and some of the better moments of the show

• Love 3

I just started watching, adore Kathy Bates - but that damned laugh track is distracting beyond belief.  I find myself yelling "shut up!" over and over.

Netflix produces Grace and Frankie and doesn't seem to need to coach us to laugh.  I was reading the opening credits, and isn't one of the producers the guy who got into it with Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men?  I wish I could enjoy this show but the annoyance factor in ep 1 is extremely off-putting.

I've watched the first 4 episodes and it is okay. This first episode was bad and the laugh track is awful (and I don't usually mind those). It's like this was started as a network thing then shuffled to Netflix, hence the traditional sitcom structure. I don't know but the cussing felt forced, as if "we are not bound by the FCC, so let's curse a lot!". Not that I don't think Ruth would cuss up a storm, it just seems off.

Glad to see Michael Trucco as Tae Kwan Doug and that he is recurring.  I do like the cuts to "commercials" and ads for Ruth's store. This is not a great show, but it's entertaining enough with Kathy Bates and I do like that the subject matter is somewhat original.

• Love 1

I do not love the 2 stoners, and I see we will have them for the forseeable future. I don't mind quirky characters, but with Tae Kwan Doug and Nicole Sullivan, we have enough side characters. Did really like the Carter story and how it was resolved. Poor guy, hope he loosens up now.

Guess no one else is watching, as I am the only one posting. I wouldn't even have known about it if Netflix didn't recommend it. I never saw any news about this show beforehand.  Did like the 80s dream sequence and laughed when Olivia questions why she would fantasize about the 80s when she wasn't even born (I feel old because I vividly remember Def Leappard in the 80s).

• Love 1

It's a weird unsettled mix of an interesting premise (what do you do when you win your cause and the world changes?) and a traditional sitcom. But I *love* the fake ads (which have long been a thing of Chuck Lorre's), and I'd watch the show just for those.

• Love 1

I love that the actor playing Pete got to use his natural accent some although I thought the Pete talking to plants story continued too long. Overall, I liked this season. Liked the Pete/Doug relationship, although I was wondering if they were going to go "there" with them at first.  Michael Trucco just doesn't seem old enough to be fatherly to Pete, but I'm okay with it.

Interested to see how the next 12 episodes play out. Maybe Ruth has a secret SECRET safe somewhere.

Or most of it was in the ceiling with the Beanie Babies. ;)

I watched this all in one day and I alternatively loved and hated it. Some of the jokes were really BAD, but all in all it was pretty good. I'll watch it again.

I LOVE PETE. I have - well had (he disappeared off the face of the Earth after a very sad paranoid break) - a very close friend who was just like him and I miss him very much.  Didn't know he was actually Australian!

I'll watch Kathy Bates in anything, but I agree with Hybridcookie about the dumb laughter - I did read that it's a studio audience though, not a track.

I didn't like seeing the talented Richard Kind as a bad guy Fed. That sucked. I was hoping they would redeem him somehow, but no.

Like Carter a LOT.

Don't like generic sitcom girl who ate too many shitballs. She's boring af.

Dank and Dabby. I like them and laugh at them, though her off-putting "John Belushi by way of Jack Black" appearance threw me for a while. Them being "un-high" was a revelation, haha.

Doug was WAY outta line at the beginning, and I wanted to put a fist in his face. He got a little too worked up over the lemon verbena (always reminds me of Laura Ingalls and Miss Beadle) candle, if you ask me. I guess because nobody's ever nice to him.

Anyone know when more episodes come out?

• Love 3

Not only had annoying laugh track, but the plot was stupid.  Felt like the laugh track was there to tell me what was funny.   The plot with the housewife was just stupid.   Her story felt lke a psa against marijuanna. Rest of season is a pass for me.

• Love 1

I watched the whole series and enjoyed most of it. Could do without the laugh track. Gah. Who thinks these are a good idea anymore? Pete was my favorite, but I related to Ruth the most. I liked Carter and Jenny realizing they liked each other and how it happened. What can I say? Pot jokes are fun. I loved the "commercials" and the fast-forward through the title sequence (before I could do it myself). Sure, a lot of it was tired humor and Dank and Dabbie were a bit much , but what the heck. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

On 8/28/2017 at 5:03 PM, wendyg said:

It's a weird unsettled mix of an interesting premise (what do you do when you win your cause and the world changes?) and a traditional sitcom. But I *love* the fake ads (which have long been a thing of Chuck Lorre's), and I'd watch the show just for those.

Agreed that the fake ads are the best part. They actually make me take notice of what I'm watching. I like KB but she can only act with the material she's being given. She has much more range and humor than just as a stoned somewhat caring curer/shaman. Let's see how she cures or does some kind of magic hocus pocus. They also could do bits where she describes the different ways to get high or the differences in pipes vs bongs. How to roll one. There's really a lot of unexplored material out there. Back in the stoner days of SNL they were hysterical with their slight dope references. Remember puppy uppers and doggie downers for instance. Lol...maybe I'm too old! 

I mostly liked the series, which I binge-watched in a hotel room. I could tell that at least some of the audience laughs were real, but others seemed recorded. Either way - annoying. The jokes and puns were corny but still I laughed at most of them.

I think there were too many characters; get rid of one of the two female sales associates and have stoned mom in less frequently. Also, it didn't work for me when the show veered toward the serious stuff. It's hard to integrate comic/drama tones into short episodes.

I liked the Dank/Dabby duo.  The Dabby character is unique and so is their pairing. They are a lot to take but I thought Dabby's riff on the beautiful blonde was genius. I wonder how much of the dialogue is ad-libbed. Dabby dominates her scenes but Dank is also hilarious. The two have great comic chemistry.

I also like Carter. His stoicism and disdain for everyone were funny in the beginning, then he started getting high and I thought he was less funny.

I could do with less profanity. I think it's lazy writing and hackneyed.

Oh and...yes to anything with Kathy Bates.

Edited by pasdetrois

It's hilarious everyone thinks there's a laugh track. There's not. It's filmed in front of a live studio audience. I heard Kathy Bates talking about the show on Mark Maron's podcast. No laugh track.

That said, the show's not very funny. I've watched about 3-4 of them hoping it will get better, but it doesn't. Plus the supporting cast is pretty weak.

Well, I watched this episode after watching the trailer. I hated both. But I watched it anyway because we have guests for dinner, and we went along with the crowd. Actually I dislike this episode and most of the next one, but I liked the advertisments. Still, I ended up watching more episodes in the same night, and I liked them. So, maybe viewers that can actually stand this and the second episode will be more than happy to find out the show gets a lot better. Eventually.

What I liked:

The first segment, with Carter, Pete and Jenny. I just don't like Olivia and Travis characters. I couldn´t even point at what seems off, but I just don't like them much.

I loved seeing Michael Trucco in this one. He is pretty funny. And I loved the Lays ad. 

I was annoyed with Olivia & Travis, and also annoyed with Dank and Dabby, and I couldn't care less about the strain of the day. 

And I loved that awww line delivered by Pete (the one about no wrong holes). Cute kid, that one.

The animated segment was pretty sad. Lots of details in that one. Really well done. I think it was very thoughful.

And then I was back at being annoyed with Olivia & Travis, which then I decided I disliked even more than Dank and Dabby.

Strange, funny ending, though.

What I liked about this one was Carter and his PTSD,  Tae Kwan Doug, Pete and all his weirdness, and Jenny and that bizarre video clip. 

What I didn't love but was more like... ok... was the Dank and Dabby duo. Perhaps being in the same scene with Travis lighten them up. I don't know, but they weren't as annoying as they were in the previous episode. 

And I agree with xander that there are too many characters. But I wouldn't lose Tae Kwan Doug nor Nicole Sullivan. 

What I hated was the strain of the day, and I find Olivia and Travis boring as hell. 

And the final animation video was awesome. So many details. I was in awe that they actually got into the detail of drawing red cells, dendrites and synapsis. Seriously awesome.

And this scene was really moving.

13-09-2017 10-24-04 p.m..jpg

I absolutely loved the war scene at the fridge. I need some of those soldiers to prevent me to eat more cake...

And strangely, this is where I actually stopped hating Dank and Dabby. I won't go as far as saying I love them, Because I don't. But they were funny here.

I still don't care about Travis, or Olivia, but the fantasy scene was funny, both parts. 

I wish they wouldn't have gone so fast with Carter's transformation, but the thing about the soccer game was on spot. 

I liked Tae Kwon Doug in this one too, and I think that actor that played Jake Bone did a good job portraying an asshole. 

And I absolutely loved the strain of the Day segment. It was hilarious. And on a personal note, I wish I would have wavy hair like Petes

The ending with Ruth and Pete was bittersweet. It was sad seeing Pete being hurt because of being ridiculed and betrayed, but it was a good ending with the talking plants and the soccer game modification. Weird, in a good way.

04-10-2017 03-54-25 p.m..jpg

• Love 1
On 30/8/2017 at 11:59 AM, xander874 said:

I love that the actor playing Pete got to use his natural accent some although I thought the Pete talking to plants story continued too long. Overall, I liked this season. Liked the Pete/Doug relationship, although I was wondering if they were going to go "there" with them at first.  Michael Trucco just doesn't seem old enough to be fatherly to Pete, but I'm okay with it.

Interested to see how the next 12 episodes play out. Maybe Ruth has a secret SECRET safe somewhere.

I also liked the Pete & Doug relationship. They both seem really connected. Trucco could totally be Baldwin´s dad, since according to the internet he is 47 and the kid is just 20. And I may say I strongly wish I will look that good at 47, but I don't think I am in the right track at the moment. 

On 30/8/2017 at 8:19 PM, Willowy said:

I LOVE PETE. I have - well had (he disappeared off the face of the Earth after a very sad paranoid break) - a very close friend who was just like him and I miss him very much.  Didn't know he was actually Australian!

I'll watch Kathy Bates in anything, but I agree with Hybridcookie about the dumb laughter - I did read that it's a studio audience though, not a track.

I didn't like seeing the talented Richard Kind as a bad guy Fed. That sucked. I was hoping they would redeem him somehow, but no.

Like Carter a LOT.

Don't like generic sitcom girl who ate too many shitballs. She's boring af.

Dank and Dabby. I like them and laugh at them, though her off-putting "John Belushi by way of Jack Black" appearance threw me for a while. Them being "un-high" was a revelation, haha.

Doug was WAY outta line at the beginning, and I wanted to put a fist in his face. He got a little too worked up over the lemon verbena (always reminds me of Laura Ingalls and Miss Beadle) candle, if you ask me. I guess because nobody's ever nice to him.

Anyone know when more episodes come out?

I agree with everything you just wrote.

I would only add that I find Travis almost as boring as Olivia. But I think I already said that.

Oh, well.

Now we only have to wait until January...

• Love 2

Dank and Dabby are OTT

On the chalkboard there's a trivia (Olivia) question. This week it had to do with Tex Avery inventing some household product. (I could be wrong as it's only shown it short bits) and last episode it had to do with who was the auctioneer of slavery in 1994. Was that from the movie 12 Years a Slave? Or are they fictional? If Tex did invent something I like to know what the answer is...hopefully other than some inside joke. Anyone have answers? 

Loved the Olivia's Shitballs ad suggesting that they would be good in a diaper at a baby shower...laughed bunches at that one. 

Pete running away with his girls (the plants) and the Amber alert car passing him fast...not funny. Perhaps the writers were too high when they came up with that one. 

So what does it say about me when I hadn't been on Netflix for months, then I suddenly log on and binge-watch 13 episodes of this in 24 hours? This show is silly. It's corny. It's adorable. The animation setpieces are little bits of genius. My special favorite was the Tuvan throat-singing one that marked Carter's first high.

I, too have a hard time working up a crap to give about Travis and What-Not Girl. But everyone else is great in their own way, even Dank & Dabby. Even Tai Kwon Douglas.

• Love 1

Totally, Carter's transition was too quick. The show could have given that plotline a more gradual arc. Carter became so HAUNTED, so fast, it brought a really dark aura to an otherwise lightweight comedy. And suddenly by Season 1, Episode 4, he's got a perfectly comfortable, goofy grin like everyone else.

Also, can two puffs on a vape pen really be that psychedelic? I guess if you're hallucinating half the time anyway, it doesn't take much to push you over the edge.

Finally watched this series, and I really enjoyed it. Was it perfect? No, but it made me laugh out loud, a lot. I liked all the characters, and even some of the stupidest jokes caught me and made me laugh, so I have no interest in nitpicking or worrying about whether it was realistic or socially correct or any other cynical anything. If there's one criticism, it would be the BioWave stuff at the end, which was not good (Pete deserved a better story). However, Kathy Bates is a treasure. I'm sorry this was cancelled.

• Love 2

Cannot believe they cancelled this show. I thought the biowave story was stupid but it was a good setup for Doug to accept Pete as a cannabis user.  Liked the possibilities of a Maria/Doug pairing.  Damn you netflix.

• Love 1