Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation For His Dark Materials

• Start Topic

Are the Powers that Be around here going to move the movie forum (assuming it exists) for the Golden Compass movie here? There's a trailer for the movie version of The unfinished Subtle Knife movie on Youtube.

Casting, finally!

Dafne Keen as Lyra and Tom Hooper directing: http://deadline.com/2018/03/the-kings-speech-director-tom-hooper-logan-star-sign-up-for-his-dark-materials-adaptation-1202319285/

Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby: http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/08/lin-manuel-miranda-tom-hooper-his-dark-materials-adaptation/

I wonder if Miranda will do an accent for Scoresby. He's a "Texan" in the books, but it's implied there's no US, and that "Texas" is used for a large portion (maybe all) of what we call America.

• Love 2

James McAvoy & Clarke Peters Sign Up To BBC One Fantasy Drama ‘His Dark Materials’

McAvoy plays Lord Asriel, the ruthless adventurer who was played by Daniel Craig in 2007 feature The Golden Compass. Asriel is the father of main character Lyra, an orphan, who lives in a parallel universe, who is played by Logan star Dafne Keen. Meanwhile Peters, who recently starred in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, plays the master who raises Lyra.

• Love 2

Everything I read about this makes it sound better and better. All of the casting so far has been excellent. I'm trying not to get my hopes up because this is my favorite book series and I detested the film adaptation -- it looked great and hit all of the plot points but lacked the soul. I don't want to be disappointed like that again.

• Love 1

HBO Boards ‘His Dark Materials’ BBC Series Based On Philip Pullman’s Books

HBO has come on board as co-producer and distributor of the BBC fantasy drama series His Dark Materials. HBO has partnered with BBC, Bad Wolf, in which HBO owns a small stake, and New Line Cinema to co-produce the adaptation of the Philip Pullman novels, which has an order for two eight-episode seasons from the BBC, as revealed by Deadline yesterday. Additionally, HBO has acquired the worldwide rights to the series outside of the UK.

• Love 1

This is looking good. And the great thing is I can only vaguely remember the events as depicted in the movie, bits register but the sequence I have no idea about. Tempted to re-watch the movie but going to resist long and hard so the story remains fresh when I watch the TV show. I'm just excited that we should finally be getting a filmed version of the book trilogy. 

• Love 1

‘His Dark Materials’: HBO & BBC Set Premiere Dates For Big-Budget Philip Pullman Adaptation

HBO and the BBC have set premiere dates for the big-budget adaptation of His Dark Materials.

The British public broadcaster will air it first on Sunday, November 3, and HBO — which co-produced the fantasy epic — will air it in a Monday night slot on November 4. The WarnerMedia-owned premium cabler also will air it internationally where it has networks and streaming services.

• Love 1

I am so excited for this series - the books are some of the best I’ve read in years.

I think Ruth Wilson is going to be amazing as Mrs Coulter, and Andrew Scott will always be Moriarty to me! “I will burn the heart out of you!”

Glad there is a new trailer. Will give my local version of HBO new material to one. They have been promoting the heck out of the show with the first trailer to the point I'm able to recite the trailer word for word nearly.

My only complaint about the show is that I 'have' to sit through the movie plot again before I can get to the new stuff. But the upside to that is that my memory of the movie is just key concepts and not beat for beat so hopefully it will feel newer than I anticipate.

16 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

My only complaint about the show is that I 'have' to sit through the movie plot again before I can get to the new stuff. But the upside to that is that my memory of the movie is just key concepts and not beat for beat so hopefully it will feel newer than I anticipate

I never read the books and looking at the trailers I kinda remember the movie but, I think S1 will be a good refresher for me.

I almost Googled the source material to find out the plot of the entire book series (I'm that curious) but, then it will ruin the show for me (probably).

The trailers look good and I like the cast

The daemons look so much better than I expected (and it looks like we'll see a lot of them!), and it appears the show is following the book's plot pretty faithfully. What an excellent trailer. I hope this show ends up being everything I wanted back in 2007.

• Love 2

The good reviews are making me insanely happy and optimistic.  I love these books.  I'm currently re-reading The Book of Dust before going through the main trilogy before starting Secret Commonwealth.  

• Love 2