Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

His Dark Materials

Are the Powers that Be around here going to move the movie forum (assuming it exists) for the Golden Compass movie here? There's a trailer for the movie version of The unfinished Subtle Knife movie on Youtube.

Casting, finally!

Dafne Keen as Lyra and Tom Hooper directing: http://deadline.com/2018/03/the-kings-speech-director-tom-hooper-logan-star-sign-up-for-his-dark-materials-adaptation-1202319285/

Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby: http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/08/lin-manuel-miranda-tom-hooper-his-dark-materials-adaptation/

I wonder if Miranda will do an accent for Scoresby. He's a "Texan" in the books, but it's implied there's no US, and that "Texas" is used for a large portion (maybe all) of what we call America.

• Like 2

James McAvoy & Clarke Peters Sign Up To BBC One Fantasy Drama ‘His Dark Materials’

McAvoy plays Lord Asriel, the ruthless adventurer who was played by Daniel Craig in 2007 feature The Golden Compass. Asriel is the father of main character Lyra, an orphan, who lives in a parallel universe, who is played by Logan star Dafne Keen. Meanwhile Peters, who recently starred in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, plays the master who raises Lyra.

• Like 2

Everything I read about this makes it sound better and better. All of the casting so far has been excellent. I'm trying not to get my hopes up because this is my favorite book series and I detested the film adaptation -- it looked great and hit all of the plot points but lacked the soul. I don't want to be disappointed like that again.

• Like 1

BBC Doubles Order Of Philip Pullman Fantasy Adaptation ‘His Dark Materials’

Deadline understands that the Bad Wolf and New Line production has already been handed a second, eight-part season. Filming kicked off earlier this month in Cardiff at Wolf Studios Wales for season one of the drama, which is thought to be one of the most expensive British scripted series to date.

• Like 2

HBO Boards ‘His Dark Materials’ BBC Series Based On Philip Pullman’s Books

HBO has come on board as co-producer and distributor of the BBC fantasy drama series His Dark Materials. HBO has partnered with BBC, Bad Wolf, in which HBO owns a small stake, and New Line Cinema to co-produce the adaptation of the Philip Pullman novels, which has an order for two eight-episode seasons from the BBC, as revealed by Deadline yesterday. Additionally, HBO has acquired the worldwide rights to the series outside of the UK.

• Like 1

I am sooo looking forward to this. I hope my expectations aren't too high. These are some of my favorite series ever. 

Are they doing one book per season?

And also, when they get to the ending of The Northern Lights, will it suck less than the movie?

5 minutes ago, starri said:

And also, when they get to the ending of The Northern Lights, will it suck less than the movie?

One would presume so!

This looks approximately one million times better than the movie.

• Like 4