Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Git Gone

The episode was fun but as a side-effect, I have a lot less respect for Shadow now. She was out of his league... in every way. Intellectually, emotionally, whatever have you. She was quite smart (all the snippets of dialogue were there), she had acute self-awareness, she didn't bullshit herself but she also didn't have any idea where to go and what to do. She was going with the flow with her eyes open and did nothing to change that. Her attempts only made it worse. And Shadow was just... there. He was going with the flow with his eyes closed, because he never wanted or longed for anything else. He doesn't have that need for something more either in himself or outside of him.

Between the two, I pity them both in different ways but her more, because Shadow has no idea what happened. And ignorance is bliss sometimes.

That's depression for you, I guess.

Every choice she makes is the path of the least resistance and... that only makes it worse.

Kudos... VERY well made episode.

He is light but I don't think it is because he gave her the coin, the coin has its individual magic. The big interest with which Wednesday is latching onto Shadow plus the constant references what Odin needs make me believe that there is something special about Shadow, by blood, history or something else but not in his character but in his makeup. As a person Shadow is pretty, sweet, somewhat naive and ultimately unimaginative and safely boring person, which is perfectly OK but something else has pushed him off the deep end. I assume this is the light Laura is seeing that.

• Love 2

I'm not sure, tho, how much of that, for Laura, is tied up with her inherent depression (or is her depression a result of her nihilism?) 

As a long-time sufferer of depression myself, I was wondering about that. Not that nihilism is a logical result of being depressed, but I do think depending on the person, that does seem like an almost logical outlook on life. And possibly easier than abject despair.

Everyone already expressed my thoughts much better than I could but what struck me most about this episode was the pointlessness of this whole relationship between Shadow and Laura. He really had no sense of who she was and was content to be a puppy and she, well, went along. I don't know how often you find on TV that no, love does not conquer all. Especially not this kind of puppy love.

I also liked that they had no chemistry whatsoever on screen. 

I'm finally watching this after trying the book and giving up because book!Shadow just seemed such a bore with barely any reaction to what is going on around him. This TV version seems a bit more lively.

It is a beautiful show, but then, after watching Hannibal, I expect nothing less. Looking forward to the next episodes.

• Love 1
On 5/23/2017 at 7:01 PM, Anela said:

So Laura saved her husband from that lynch mob? Sounds like she loved him, to me. I'm still watching - I've made it this far. Looking forward to seeing Audrey again. 

I'm rewatching earlier episodes and it's really bothering me that when Shadow sees  his wife Laura back from the dead and they're talking there is absolutely no mention of her saving him from being lynched by leaping up and breaking the rope he's hanging from, then using her super strength to dispatch 6 or 8 guys. Shadow talks about his being lynched to Wednesday  and Wednesday mentions the marks on Shadow's neck.

On 3/12/2021 at 6:18 AM, T Summer said:

there is absolutely no mention of her saving him from being lynched by leaping up and breaking the rope he's hanging from, then using her super strength to dispatch 6 or 8 guys.

It's always been my interpretation that Shadow knew someone or some . . . thing  . . . intervened and saved him after TechBoy's Clockwork Orange henchmen (the guys from the limo who attempted to hang Shadow.)  But I always assumed that Shadow never realized it was back-from-the-grave Laura who rescued him.  Recall that he is already hanging and unconscious when she turns up and as he comes to she is covered in mud and blood and moving at super-human speed.  At this point in the story I assume Shadow STILL doesn't know who saved him from that attack.  But by now he's met plenty of supernatural beings so I presume he assumes one of them intervened (for reasons unknown) or that Wednesday sent someone to help and just hasn't admitted it (again, for reasons unknown -- but fucking typical.  Wednesday never tells the whole truth.)