Type keyword(s) to search

Getting good ink: Ink Master in the Press

Kromm
  • Start Topic

The show made Marshall, like almost everyone who appears on it, into such an unlikable douche that it takes a bit to put that aside and process instead how tragic it is for anyone that age to go.

It sounds like they were saying it was just some kind of congenital heart failure.  Nothing reported has contrasted that in the past few weeks.

Sad new :

Ink Master' Winner Died of Heroin Overdose"

Scott Marshall -- champion of "Ink Master" season 4 -- died from a deadly cocktail of heroin and prescription drugs ... TMZ has learned.

According to the coroner's report ... cops found a small bag of heroin on the nightstand next to Scott's body in the Roselle, IL hotel room. 

Source : http://www.tmz.com/2015/12/14/ink-master-scott-marshall-cause-of-death/

Edited by Diane Mars

Oh lord. More seasons of them recycling the same crap.

Surely they've reached saturation with casting credible tattoo artists at this point--the ones who might have held back because the show is a disgrace that will only shame them are even less inclined to do so now, after the show has proved it's pattern of disgracing people and propping up aggressive assholes. And anyone talented who is willing to put put through a meat grinder of humiliation has likely already been on (in some cases too many times). 

(edited)

I guess social media stuff goes better here than in any other topic. Anyway, I just watched a Q&A Anthony Michaels did on Facebook on the 19th. A lot of kid wrangling (he has 5 kids, three of whom live with him), but there was some good stuff there when he had time to sit and talk. 

Seems like he and Christian are still pretty tight. Christian was sending in tons of questions. Said Dave is his favorite judge because he is so genuine and approaches things from the client perspective. He mentioned how Dave puts everyone at ease. He said he was afraid of Oliver, and told him that. He mentioned that he didn't think Oliver liked him much until towards the end.

As far as competitors, he said Marq is a great guy. He didn't have a negative thing to say about anyone, in fact. He mentioned that some people are amazing artists, but don't do well with the competition aspect. He specifically mentioned Alex and Picasso. He said Picasso was beyond talented, and they were lucky that he went home so early.

He talked a little about his career and how he got into the field. He was doing handmade screenprinted clothes and shoes, and started tattooing in a shed in his backyard. He started working for Dennis Dwyer at Ancient Art, which is a big name in the Tucson tattoo scene, although not always a popular one. He was just building machines for the artists, though. He talked like Dennis wasn't interested in teaching him how to actually tattoo or was too set in his ways. Considering what I have heard about Dennis from people back home, that doesn't surprise me.

He also talked a bit about his time playing basketball. He talked a lot about Tucson, and how much he wanted to represent the artistic talent in the city. He seemed to be very proud of where he's from.

Looks like he and his wife just moved into a nice house, so he must be doing well now. He mentioned that he is completely booked until summer of 2017, so the show seems to have done some good for him.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 7

Thanks for the info, @azshadowwalker.  Can't believe I missed the Facebook Q&A.  Guess I won't be getting ink from Anthony Michales anytime soon!  He seems like a really nice, great guy.  I agree with his assessment that many of the artists just don't do well in competitions and that Dave is awesome. 

• Love 1

If you look him up on Facebook, you can watch the Q&A still. His page is public, and it's posted there. Like I said, there are long silent times when he's off trying to get his son to stay in bed and other times when he is trying to get the boy to stop bugging him, but his wife is a sweetheart and tries to keep things on track. It's 90 minutes long, but I would say that only about 45 minutes of him actually answering questions. 

I was coming here to post that story.  Most interesting (though obviously not surprising) part is that the show tells people to amp up the asshole.  Also not terribly surprising that the show reached out to him rather than the other way around.  This show is more about the drama than about the competition.  I wonder how many of the contestants actually apply blind, as opposed to being invited to apply.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rancide said:

I wonder how many of the contestants actually apply blind, as opposed to being invited to apply.

I also wonder how much the contestants are paid. A lot of shows call it a stipend, but there has to be some financial buffer that allows people to leave their jobs for an extended period.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the proposed series pan out. Anthony was pretty clear that he wouldn't do anything that will take him away from his family, so although I'd like to see him host a show or whatever it might be, he already seems to be a bit overwhelmed by the demands on his time.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Rancide said:

I was coming here to post that story.  Most interesting (though obviously not surprising) part is that the show tells people to amp up the asshole.  Also not terribly surprising that the show reached out to him rather than the other way around.  This show is more about the drama than about the competition.  I wonder how many of the contestants actually apply blind, as opposed to being invited to apply.

I guess they scout tattoo shows to find people to recruit. The thing about encouraging assholism is that Anthony proved you can create a compelling story that viewers love by highlighting a soft-spoken contestant. I hope they learned something from it, but I doubt it. 

I was happy to see the Daily Star profile him. I like their Facebook page to keep track of news from back home. I was surprised they did it so long after the end of the show, though. Maybe it was the first chance they got to set up an interview. 

I think the show mistakes "interesting people" for assholes.  I remember everyone being excited about the final five this season, not because there was any villain to root against, but because all of them were so talented.

• Love 2

In preparation for tonight's premier, I thought I would update on Anthony. He posted another Facebook Live on his page a few weeks back. Seemed extremely stressed. He said he was wiping his book clean for anyone who hadn't left a deposit already. He was booked until December 2017, and was feeling overwhelmed. I also got the impression that he took appointments for work he wasn't excited about doing.

He said he would only be booking a month or two in advance going forward. He will only work with people who give him creative control and want large tattoos that inspire him. He will also require deposits to make appointments. So, if you wanted an Anthony Michaels tattoo, you no longer have to wait a couple of years, but you have to be ready with cash and big ideas that you turn over to him. 

Another thing he mentioned was that he is trying to get a website set up, but someone bought anthonymichaels.com. I guess it was a domain squatter. The dude wants $2500 for the domain name. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 1

Season 9 will start airing in June.  A new season of Redemption will also be airing after each episode.

Also, they'll have a one hour special Ink Master Angels featuring last season's quartet Ryan Ashley, Kelly Doty, Nikki Simpson and Gia Rose, airing some time this year.

Also also, Spike just ordered a season 10, which will start shooting later this year to air in 2018 (on what will then be called Paramount Network)

• Love 4

someone can help me? im trying to find a desing of season 1 of ink master and I can't find enything, was a tattoo of a lamb and like a hyena representing de good and the evil.

I think it was on a flash challenge but i can't find that desing

On 3/23/2017 at 2:44 PM, Charlesman said:

Season 9 will start airing in June.  A new season of Redemption will also be airing after each episode.

Also, they'll have a one hour special Ink Master Angels featuring last season's quartet Ryan Ashley, Kelly Doty, Nikki Simpson and Gia Rose, airing some time this year.

Also also, Spike just ordered a season 10, which will start shooting later this year to air in 2018 (on what will then be called Paramount Network)

Some more info on "Angels", which has gone from a one-hour special, to a 10-episode series:

Spike has given the greenlight to a new entry in its Ink Master tattoo franchise: Ink Master: Angels, a 10-episode series focusing on four of the original show’s top female contestants, will air this fall.

Angels will follow four previous Ink Master competitors – Ryan Ashley, Kelly Doty, Nikki Simpson and Gia Rose – as they travel the country in contests with other tattoo artists. Winners of the various challenges vie for a spot on Season 10 of Ink Master (premiering in 2018).

Both series are produced by Truly Original.

Chachi Senior, Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming & Development, Spike/Paramount Network, made the new series announcement today, noting that the “fan-favorite females” will “add a new voice to the franchise and help us discover the best artists around the country.”

The new series will air this fall following the culmination of Ink Master‘s Season 9, which premieres June 6 along with new episodes of spin-off Ink Master: Redemption.

• Love 3
(edited)

That's exciting news about Angels! Crossing my fingers that the traveling format means new competitors in each city and no more season-long grudges and animosity from other artists. The women themselves already get along very well.

Sourpusses Gia and Nikki weren't favorites of mine, but it was mostly the biased judging that set them off so hopefully they'll be in better spirits this time.

That is, if I'm even able to access whatever damned new channel Paramount is.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lord Donia said:

That is, if I'm even able to access whatever damned new channel Paramount is.

"Paramount" is the working name of the Spike re-brand. So, it'll be the same channel as Spike, just called something else. I think they're moving away from the guy-centric branding.

• Love 1
On 9/2/2017 at 3:35 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Article about racism in the tattoo industry (specifically mentions some of this season's contestants complaining about clients with dark skin)

My parents, who are black, always wonder why black people get black tattoos since you can't see anything. I think in a lot of people's eyes, tattoos are meant for lighter skin tones, but anyone can get them. You just need the right tattoo artist who will work with you.

I can see this show having a challenge where all of the canvases are black and brown and you have to have to tattoo a compelling and intricate design without losing the picture. They may have done this before, but I don't really remember it.

• Love 1

Josh Payne did a Reddit AMA today and I had to snort when someone asked what the most difficult challenge was: "Man the hardest thing was trying to figure out what the judges truly wanted in each competition."

Indeed. Except he left out "fucking" judges.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, qtpye said:

Does anyone know when this show will come back?

The last thing I saw a couple of weeks ago is that they have the applications open for artists and canvases.  Maybe this fall or next spring?