Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Week 1

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I haven't been excited about a bachette ever that I remember.  I grow to like them or not.  I am dazzled by Rachael and for me she is the best so far at first glimpse and that may change.  I was the most impressed when I read that CH called her controlling.  Loved that, I wish more leads would put their foot down.  I liked Andi all through her season until ATFR.   I am a cynic and don't sucked in easily.  I did with Jef and that was the last time.  

Yeah, me too. Trista's and Emily's seasons were the only two I was ever emotionally invested in in 17 yrs of viewing but I have been impressed with how personable and quick-witted Rachel has been so far. I don't think any of the other leads can match her with the possibile exception of Jillian. (Jillian is probably my fave Ette but I could tell that she had shitty taste in men so I never got invested.)

• Love 4
15 hours ago, MsPH said:

Fred, the "bad kid" was also pretty handsome and I loved Rachel's reaction to him. How weird would it be to date someone five years younger who you knew as a kid? I don't think I could ever get past it.

It's either super weird and awkward, or it's the beginning of one of the best love stories this franchise could ever hope for. Time will tell, but I know where I'd be putting my money.

ABC is rerunning this episode Sunday evening in my market. I wish they would rerun the first ep later in the season, once I get to know the players. I can never remember who made what introduction, or even got the first rose, by F3 time. I'm not sure I can sit through more of Waboom, though, so might pass on the rewatch.

Maybe I'm just remembering my own opinion and the people who I agreed with, but I don't remember JoJo or Kaitlyn being particularly well liked at first, at all.  I thought Kailyn was vulgar and totally wrong for the show and while JoJo was a better fit for Bachelorette she always seemed fake to me so when I say Rachel is "best ever," she really is for me.  I liked Ashley a lot, and loved Des for her sweetness, but I wasn't as Wings says, "dazzled."

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Maybe I'm just remembering my own opinion and the people who I agreed with, but I don't remember JoJo or Kaitlyn being particularly well liked at first, at all.  I thought Kailyn was vulgar and totally wrong for the show and while JoJo was a better fit for Bachelorette she always seemed fake to me so when I say Rachel is "best ever," she really is for me.  I liked Ashley a lot, and loved Des for her sweetness, but I wasn't as Wings says, "dazzled."

I agree @JudyObscure.  Kaitlyn was ok at first until she turned it into the sleezy B'ette and JoJo was a contradiction to me as in sometimes she came across very warm and down to earth and then she would seem aloof like she was just going through the motions until she could get rid of all the guys and have Jordan all to herself.  I already liked Rachel and to me she has exceeded my expectations. She's warm, welcoming, and has a since of humor coupled with poise, confidence and maturity. I have only watched Kaitlyn and JoJo seasons so I can"t speak to the other b'ettes likeability factors but of the three I've seen Rachel (in just one episode) is by far my favorite.

Finally got a chance to watch the episode. I may just tape Monday and wait to see if Wahboom guy is gone. I cannot deal with that. It's not cute and it's not fun.

peter is totally hubba hubba. 

Lastly I cannot believe a guy talked up his penis. There are lines that shouldn't be crossed on tv and discussing how good your penis is, is one of them.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, TiredMe said:

Lastly I cannot believe a guy talked up his penis. There are lines that shouldn't be crossed on tv and discussing how good your penis is, is one of them.

Yes, he needs to be sent away to a penile colony ;-)

• Love 4
5 hours ago, TiredMe said:

peter is totally hubba hubba.

He really is isn't he?  I think of all of them I kinda liked him the most.  Maybe because of his normalcy?  And, well, because he's a total Hubba Hubba!  I think he is the best looking of all of them, imo.  But I also liked that when she said she didn't like chocolate, without missing a beat he said he'd chuck the box right into the fire.

As much as I hate Whaboom, I do have to admit -- obnoxious as it was -- his play-by-play color commentary of Rachel and Peter's couch conversation was kinda funny. 

Outside of Rachel, I liked how the guys interacted with each other.  Minus one or two, they seemed genuinely funny and having a good time with their rivalry.  There was the one scene of the guys trying to encourage the Bollywood guy (can't remember his name) to get some alone time with Rachel, but he kept getting blocked.  When he finally tried to make his move and got blocked again, one of the guys winced regretfully said something like "ooh, dude, he just cut right in."

And after Josiah (after all of his boasting) didn't get the first impression rose, the guys who were in the room with him were fake consoling him, they weren't laughing at him, but they were sincerely insincere in their condolences.  It came off as good-natured rather than malicious teasing.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, TiredMe said:

Well last season we had a girl who talked up her vagina, so the editors clearly thinks that's cute.  I don't think we should be subjected to either one, but I'm not their target audience. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Ripley68 said:

Looking up pictures of Peter (because I mean...come on) and found this:

http://www.wetpaint.com/bachelorette-2017-peter-kraus-model-photos-1592927/

He's wearing the same thing he wore on the first night! Anyone know what designer this is?  Most of the pictures look like they were taken when he was younger.

It's http://www.jtoor.com/#welcome

Guess who is in the opening splash? And the second splash? And the third? And the fourth?

• Love 3
(edited)
Spoiler

I think I can beat both of those. LOL

Peter "even the stars fall from the sky to be closer to" Kraus...  Too funny. He's also very humble and an all around great guy. He was nominated several years ago and decided not to do it until they called him and asked if he wanted to meet Rachel. And the rest is history so to speak.

Edited by BaileyMae
  • Love 7
On 5/23/2017 at 9:59 PM, In2You said:

So Blake E and Lucas were both on Ex Isle. Do the producers think we want to see their carry over drama from another reality show?

The fact that they chose anybody who has been on a reality show called Ex-Isle just proves that there are definite plants. And those two are the ones that have a problem with each other. What a coincidence. 

• Love 4
On 5/26/2017 at 6:56 PM, JudyObscure said:

Maybe I'm just remembering my own opinion and the people who I agreed with, but I don't remember JoJo or Kaitlyn being particularly well liked at first, at all.  I thought Kaitlyn was vulgar and totally wrong for the show 

I hated her "plowing" joke to Chris right out of the limo, then my dislike solidified when she pulled off her bikini bottoms during the lake swimming group date.  Beyond classless and tacky.  Of course, Ashley I. had already pulled off her bikini top for attention, but to me, tops off aren't as skanky as bottoms off.   I don't forgive skanky.  

Then her becoming Bachelorette was such a waste of a season.  

• Love 2
On 5/22/2017 at 10:03 PM, KenyaJ said:

Demario could have been a contender, but he lost me the moment he said “Her and I.” I can’t deal with an entire season of hearing that come out of the contestants’ mouths.

It bugs me, too.  My impression is that it's more common in younger people, so it's liable to be more prevalent as the years go by.  Maybe a season full of vocal fry and "her and I"s will finally make me stop watching.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:44 AM, TiredMe said:

I didn't see the second hour until last night.  Now I know that this guy, whatever his name, not only took some kind woman's reassuring compliment as truth, he is the person repeatedly calling out Whaboom for wrong reasons, when he himself has no occupation.  His job title is "aspiring guitarist."  The same job title of every fifteen year old boy on the planet. 

He's made me want to defend Whaboom.  I'm seriously ready to call the show and tell them that Whaboom might give  himself a concussion doing that.  I want a disclaimer at the end saying no young idiots were harmed during the making of this show.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

His job title is "aspiring guitarist."  The same job title of every fifteen year old boy on the planet. 

Naw he's a fitness trainer as shown in his film intro. Please don't take those catch phrases seriously. And it was "aspiring drummer" because he came in with the marching band.

Edited by dleighg

Any chyron that has the words "Aspiring", "Freelance" or "Lover" in it automatically means they probably have no stable, insurance-providing and regular means of income.  Or their parents still support them.  

Yes, the titles are supposed to be cute and entertaining, but to most non-millennials, they're just idiotic. 

(edited)

I am already loving this season simply because Rachel is so cute and fun. Luckily there's actually several guys I am at least mildly interested in as well so I hope this is a great season.

I'm kinda in love with Peter already. I'm afraid he's going to end up disappointing me! He reminds me of someone but I can't pinpoint who. My sister said Logan from this season's The Amazing Race and he does resemble him. He also reminds me of Ken from s33 of Survivor.

I go back and forth on Bryan. He seems really fake and smarmy a lot of the time, but sometimes I find him somewhat charming. His cheeks are weird though. Looks like bad cheek implants. He actually looks a lot like The Situation to me. Not attractive.

I actually liked Dean and I didn't expect to after his initial appearance on ATFR. In contrast, I want to like Eric because he was so cute on ATFR and I did like him in this ep, but I have this fear that he's going to turn out to be horrible.

Kenny and Diggy are both adorable and funny. I don't see any way Rachel will pick either of them, but I hope she keeps them around awhile for my entertainment. Ditto Josiah.

Whaboom guy kinda did it for me, but I hope he goes next week because his schtick will wear thin quickly for me.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Any chyron that has the words "Aspiring", "Freelance" or "Lover" in it automatically means they probably have no stable, insurance-providing and regular means of income.  Or their parents still support them.  

Yes, the titles are supposed to be cute and entertaining, but to most non-millennials, they're just idiotic. 

Somewhere among the threads is this link to this article about the job titles, which are assigned by the show. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/01/19/how_the_bachelor_and_bachelorette_come_up_with_their_crazy_contestant_bios.html

On one season, there was a woman whose job title was "dog lover," but she actually had a job doing business development for a construction company.

This is from the article:

“When we started, there was not nearly the level of creativity and humor in bios that you see now, when the goal is to get everyone talking on social media.” The very first season of The Bachelor had two doctors and two lawyers in its cast. “Back then, we needed credibility,” [producer] Carbone said. “We never would’ve called anyone Dog Lover. But the show doesn’t need credibility anymore. It needs buzz.”

• Love 1
12 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

It bugs me, too.  My impression is that it's more common in younger people, so it's liable to be more prevalent as the years go by.  Maybe a season full of vocal fry and "her and I"s will finally make me stop watching.

I know.  That, along with other reasons, is why I bailed on Ben's season.  He was terrible.  I was, however, listening to "A Way with Words," and they were discussing words and how they are pronounced and how it changes over generations.  I have noticed vocal fry used a lot on the Bachelor forums and I still don't know what it means. 

On 5/28/2017 at 10:38 AM, leighdear said:

I hated her "plowing" joke to Chris right out of the limo, then my dislike solidified when she pulled off her bikini bottoms during the lake swimming group date.  Beyond classless and tacky.  Of course, Ashley I. had already pulled off her bikini top for attention, but to me, tops off aren't as skanky as bottoms off.   I don't forgive skanky.  

Then her becoming Bachelorette was such a waste of a season.  

Wow. I have always questioned why people seem to dislike Kaitlyn and Andi, and this would have done it for me.  How did Kaitlyn sleep with Nick before the last few dates? I thought they were not allowed to be alone until then? 

I keep finding out things on this forum 

Just now, catrice2 said:

I have noticed vocal fry used a lot on the Bachelor forums and I still don't know what it means. 

It's more or less ending every sentence as if it's a question. Raising the tone and drawing it out at the end. "And I went to the beeaaCH(?) and then I ate dinnEEER(?)"

1 minute ago, dleighg said:

It's more or less ending every sentence as if it's a question. Raising the tone and drawing it out at the end. "And I went to the beeaaCH(?) and then I ate dinnEEER(?)"

Ok. I will look for it, but I assume you mean more of the women do it on the Bachelor?  

Just now, catrice2 said:

I assume you mean more of the women do it on the Bachelor?  

I only became aware of the term fairly recently, but I did notice it among a few of the men last week (I don't learn their names for weeks, so can't tell you who did it)

1 minute ago, dleighg said:

I only became aware of the term fairly recently, but I did notice it among a few of the men last week (I don't learn their names for weeks, so can't tell you who did it)

Ok, I am going to look for it for the men tonight. I am excited about watching my first episode and confirming some thoughts. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm kinda in love with Peter already. I'm afraid he's going to end up disappointing me! He reminds me of someone but I can't pinpoint who. My sister said Logan from this season's The Amazing Race and he does resemble him. He also reminds me of Ken from s33 of Survivor.

Peter looks like Tom Welling if Welling did meth for 3.5 years.

PeterK1-e1489419719170.jpg

tom-welling-divorce-750x522-1448222832.j

On 5/27/2017 at 5:17 PM, JudyObscure said:

Well last season we had a girl who talked up her vagina, so the editors clearly thinks that's cute.  I don't think we should be subjected to either one, but I'm not their target audience. 

Oooh, you are on to something. They're setting up a platinum vagine and penis guy storyline for Paradise.

Edited by lids
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, dleighg said:

You're conflating vocal fry and uptalk.  Uptalk is ending every sentence like it's a question.  Vocal fry ends sentences in a downward direction, along with a gravelly rrrrrr.  "Then I ate din-nerrrrrrrrr."  The Kardashians are often used as an example, especially Kourtney.  I hear it a lot on NPR--deep voices convey authority, and I think the young women correspondents are trying to deepen their voices but don't really know how to do it so it comes out gravelly, and they add the downward direction at the end of sentences to combat uptalk. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I hear it a lot on NPR--deep voices convey authority, and I think the young women correspondents are trying to deepen their voices but don't really know how to do it so it comes out gravelly, and they add the downward direction at the end of sentences to combat uptalk. 

This American Life did a special piece about how many NPR listeners were complaining about it.  They concluded that we complainers were all just misogynist old grumps who hated young women.  The final line was, "Get over it."  I actually quit listening to NPR for awhile over that.

• Love 7

Peter must have some hidden skeletons/neuroses/kinks to have to find a woman on a TV show.  Superficially speaking, if he stays attentive, he'll age very well.  

If Rachel doesn't want to end up like Annalise Keating, pulling off her wig and wiping off her face, she needs to quit with the extensions.  That hair already looks tortured and fake.  

(edited)
4 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

This American Life did a special piece about how many NPR listeners were complaining about it.  They concluded that we complainers were all just misogynist old grumps who hated young women.  The final line was, "Get over it."  I actually quit listening to NPR for awhile over that.

An elocution app might help the youngsters....It certainly couldn't hurt!  And it's not as if a traditional class would work any more for millennials.  If it can't be done in 15 minutes on a smart phone, it won't appeal to them. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Uh I can't tell for sure - is this supposed to be a compliment or insult towards Peter?

I'm not sure, but I will say that when I first saw the pictures of him on RS I did not think he was that attractive, then some more pictures came out.  I think he looks better with longer hair and facial hair.  Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I found Nick attractive from the neck down, and he looked better in formal wear.  I find Peter attractive, but I do not find the picture of the guy she linked to compare him against attractive.  I don't even know who that is.  Again, I think he is more attractive to me based upon the rest of the guys in the house.  If he was in a room of a lot of attractive men  don't know he would be in my top 3.   I am just hoping that he has a great personality that will speak more about him than anything else. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Uh I can't tell for sure - is this supposed to be a compliment or insult towards Peter?

Ha! Welling is beautiful. I'd be fine if all men looked like some variation of him - Prison Tom, Bald Tom, Tom on Crack - still attractive.

I mostly just meant that I know Peter has suffered from an illness (not gonna talk about it here in case it's a spoiler, even though I think I read it in this thread) and that may have caused deterioration in his teeth and physique. Overall Peter looks like he's "lived" and he has a story to tell. Nothing wrong with that.

Just now, lids said:

Ha! Welling is beautiful. I'd be fine if all men looked like some variation of him - Prison Tom, Bald Tom, Tom on Crack - still attractive.

I mostly just meant that I know Peter has suffered from an illness (not gonna talk about it here in case it's a spoiler, even though I think I read it in this thread) and that may have caused deterioration in his teeth and physique. Overall Peter looks like he's "lived" and he has a story to tell. Nothing wrong with that.

Okay, got you. It was a genuine question because I too think Tom Welling is pretty good looking but the meth comparison threw me since that's never a positive as far as I can tell. 

3 hours ago, leighdear said:

If Rachel doesn't want to end up like Annalise Keating, pulling off her wig and wiping off her face, she needs to quit with the extensions.  That hair already looks tortured and fake.  

I really like Rachel but I have to say, I agree about the extensions.  She doesn't need them but I guess she thinks she needs them to be on the show, which is too bad.  Plus, she has such beautiful eyes and skin, those extensions are just distractions. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I really like Rachel but I have to say, I agree about the extensions.  She doesn't need them but I guess she thinks she needs them to be on the show, which is too bad.  Plus, she has such beautiful eyes and skin, those extensions are just distractions. 

This is one of those things that I don't think is optional.  I think producers have an idea of what they think the Bachelorette should look like and long hair is one of them. I am sure they control makeup, hair and wardrobe.  She probably has more say over wardrobe than anything.   I don't really know of any others than Jo Jo, Andi and Kaitlin from pictures, and Trista, but did all of them have long hair?  In general from the little of Ben and Nick's season I saw all of the girls seem to think they are necessary, although for all her money Corinne had some of the worst I've ever seen. 

I think I said before the season began that if they were going that route they should at least get someone who could do them well. 

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

You're conflating vocal fry and uptalk.  Uptalk is ending every sentence like it's a question.  Vocal fry ends sentences in a downward direction, along with a gravelly rrrrrr.  "Then I ate din-nerrrrrrrrr."  The Kardashians are often used as an example, especially Kourtney.  I hear it a lot on NPR--deep voices convey authority, and I think the young women correspondents are trying to deepen their voices but don't really know how to do it so it comes out gravelly, and they add the downward direction at the end of sentences to combat uptalk. 

The best cultural example of Vocal Fry is Pheobe's 'sexy voice' when she gets sick, and Smelly Cat became a much deeper, more poignant song.  Generally, it occurs when people speak in the lowest register of their voices, and their speaking 'catches' in their throat.  Think smoker's voice, and you're pretty close. Andy Dorfman did it constantly. 

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Women face a lot of criticism for their speech patterns and voices.  We are either shrill, ala Hillary, or using vocal fry to sound like we have more gravitas, or using upspeak because we are dumb.  A lot of the criticism is because ment don't like to hear what we have to say, so they look for ways to undermine what we are saying.  This is no longer on topic, so I will just say the following: I have been criticized for the way I speak, and never has it seemed anything but sexist. 

3 hours ago, leighdear said:

An elocution app might help the youngsters....It certainly couldn't hurt!  And it's not as if a traditional class would work any more for millennials.  If it can't be done in 15 minutes on a smart phone, it won't appeal to them. 

I do think many of us abuse our voices, men and women.  Professional speakers take care of their voices, but reality stars aren't there yet.  See: "Whaboom guy" for a key example of that. 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, lids said:

Based upon pictures that my friend sent me Peter is leaner in this show than he has previously been, although he is bigger than he was in some of the modeling pictures.  Other than the gap I can't tell about his teeth, but they are not British bad teeth from what I can tell.  Maybe it makes a difference if he is training for an event or not. She said he runs marathons.  

I've noted that for all the "hot kiss" there is not a lot of talk about Bryan on this forum. I can't wait to form a real opinion of him tonight. 

4 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

This is one of those things that I don't think is optional.  I think producers have an idea of what they think the Bachelorette should look like and long hair is one of them. I am sure they control makeup, hair and wardrobe.  She probably has more say over wardrobe than anything.   I don't really know of any others than Jo Jo, Andi and Kaitlin from pictures, and Trista, but did all of them have long hair?  In general from the little of Ben and Nick's season I saw all of the girls seem to think they are necessary, although for all her money Corinne had some of the worst I've ever seen. 

I think I said before the season began that if they were going that route they should at least get someone who could do them well. 

Yes, the hair stuff could very well be producer-driven.  I don't remember about those other Bachelorettes, or if Rachel's extensions were that long on The Bachelor. 

1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

Yes, the hair stuff could very well be producer-driven.  I don't remember about those other Bachelorettes, or if Rachel's extensions were that long on The Bachelor. 

My guess is that she may wear some in her personal life, but I would be surprised if they are that long. I think in general just from reading the forums everyone has a set idea of what they think a Bachelorette should act like and look like and those that deviate from the pattern tend to not be well liked. My impression is that by the end of the process the lead is rarely well liked! 

(edited)
4 hours ago, lids said:

Peter looks like Tom Welling if Welling did meth for 3.5 years.

PeterK1-e1489419719170.jpg

tom-welling-divorce-750x522-1448222832.j

LMAO! I'm not really into Tom Welling, but this is hilarious. And I do kinda see it in those pics. ETA: What illness did Peter have?

Edited by peachmangosteen

I feel kinda dumb asking this, in part because I've never heard of Tom Welling before.  But, are those two pictures of different people? They look like the same guy dressed casually and poorly lit, and then with Hollywood lighting and a tux.  I assume one is Peter (casual) and one is Tom (dressy?). 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, fib said:

I feel kinda dumb asking this, in part because I've never heard of Tom Welling before.  But, are those two pictures of different people? They look like the same guy dressed casually and poorly lit, and then with Hollywood lighting and a tux.  I assume one is Peter (casual) and one is Tom (dressy?). 

Yea, the top pic is Peter and the bottom pic is Tom Welling, who played Superman on Smallville.

13 minutes ago, fib said:

Women face a lot of criticism for their speech patterns and voices.  We are either shrill, ala Hillary, or using vocal fry to sound like we have more gravitas, or using upspeak because we are dumb.  A lot of the criticism is because ment don't like to hear what we have to say, so they look for ways to undermine what we are saying.  This is no longer on topic, so I will just say the following: I have been criticized for the way I speak, and never has it seemed anything but sexist. 

This is very true, but I will also say that excessive vocal fry and up-speak are annoying to listen to. I wish people stopped doing it, but I would never go so far as to criticize someone for their speech patterns.

The producers have the Ettes get extensions if they dont have long lustrous hair. Ali's during her season was especially gnarly. She got them removed as soon as she finished filming since she didnt know how to take care of them and they looked like hay toward the end. Emily also had them.

And Peter does Iron Man triathlelons, not just marathons.