Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Week 1

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's just useful to know, in general, that so many people see that as an assault (I was not aware of that -- not that I'd EVER go around tickling people!)

This never crossed my mind either, good to know. I thought it was kind of cute. I can see why people feel that way, but to me, the tickling didn't feel as invasive or icky as an intro with hand holding, standing too close, and [an attempt at] bedroom eyes. Shiver.

• Love 1

I am normally not this shallow (who am I kidding; yes I am), but if Peter and Josiah don't work out, Rachel can send them my way. Peter is hot like fire, and Josiah is hot AND has my kind of humor - I laughed with him, rather than at him (such a rarity for this show) when he started talking about that doll and then in the end tag when he didn't know how to react to the other contestant's freestyle and just said ".....Hm. Huh. Ok"

Rachel might be poised to be one of my favorite bachelorettes ever - she was funny and completely charming, and as a bonus, I loved her dress.

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

and Josiah is hot AND has my kind of humor - I laughed with him, rather than at him (such a rarity for this show) when he started talking about that doll and then in the end tag when he didn't know how to react to the other contestant's freestyle and just said ".....Hm. Huh. Ok"

I admit I did laugh when in his ITM, talking about Lucas, he went, "did you guys drug test?" I also laughed at his, DeMario and I think Eric's reaction when Lucas showed up, since they had just been discussing who would be the crazy one and they all went, "yeah that's him." 

• Love 13
(edited)
23 hours ago, OldWiseOne said:

I'm sure the show paid for their airfare and accommodations - not to mention it gave them all another chance to get their face on tv and solidify their Paradise auditions!

Waboom needs to go next week - why do the producers think viewers have any interest in that kind of crap?

Sure I agree their airfare and accommodations were paid for but to say they were only there for tv takes away from Rachel's natural ability to draw people to her with her awesome personality. And as for Paradise auditions at least we know Raven wasn't there for that as it had already been announced at that time that she would be on Paradise. Actually the facts are pretty well out there that she and Rachel developed a very close friendship. Rachel even gave Raven the credit for helping her to open up and just go with it on the Bachelor and there were tears in Raven's eyes as Rachel said it. I think their closeness speaks for itself.

As for the others I suspect that some may have came anyway regardless if they had paid accommodations or not. At the very least even with paid accommodations I'm sure it was something they didn't have to consider or thought of as a no brainer as they were happy to do it for Rachel.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

Sure I agree their airfare and accommodations were paid for but to say they were only there for tv takes away from Rachel's natural ability to draw people to her with her awesome personality.

But I didn't say they were only there for tv. I said they got a free trip to LA and a chance to famewhore.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, OldWiseOne said:

But I didn't say they were only there for tv. I said they got a free trip to LA and a chance to famewhore.

Yes you didn't specifically say they were only there for tv but in my view it does seems like that's what you were implying.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

Yes you didn't specifically say they were only there for tv but in my view it does seems like that's what you were implying.

Maybe stick to the facts of what I actually said instead of what you think I was implying based on absolutely nothing. I said they got a free trip and a chance to be on tv, I didn't say they weren't friendly with Rachel or didn't care about Rachel or weren't interested in supporting her on her journey. I didn't say Rachel has an awful personality and inability to be close friends with other women.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, violet and green said:

I wanted a full-on Copper promo, all the personal stats and preferences, some sad dog stories and cheesy shots of Copper romping on the beach and through fields.

Oh, I love your idea so much, now I'm upset they didn't do it.  They could have concluded with a sad, pensive shot of Copper sitting on a cliff looking out over the sea.

• Love 10

I'm loving Rachel as the Bachelorette! She's so real without being raunchy like Caitlin or kind of stiff and boring like Jo Jo. She's funny and relatable. I lived the guy who said everyone loves chocolate as he offers her a gift and she confesses that she doesn't but she will eat it and he insists he will throw it in the fire. I've never seen so much good natured real humor on the first night. The what boom guy is annoying and reminds me of an old Adam. Sandler skit. 

The guy that went in for a kiss! Wow Rachel liked that! She was a great choice as a lead. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, TVGlow said:

It's just useful to know, in general, that so many people see that as an assault (I was not aware of that -- not that I'd EVER go around tickling people!)

I also do not go around tickling random people and would be pissed if some rando did it to me, but I had no idea some people had such an intense aversion to it!  Seeing "Tickle Monster" listed as his occupation did give me the giggles though.

Bryan kissing was just GROSS.  It reminded me of junior high when guys had no idea how to kiss and just tried to swallow your entire face with their tongue.  DISGUSTING.

I was seriously nervous about Waboom and think he may actually give himself a head injury from him waboom-ing.

Peter is the hottest one there.  I also liked Josiah and his story was really interesting.  The drunk Indian guy made me laugh at loud with his reactions to Bryan kissing Rachel; it's like he forgot he was actually on the show and was watching from his couch at home.  I was prejudging Kenny because of the whole wrestling thing but actually I really liked him.

I love Rachel!  My favorite bachelorette ever so far!

• Love 5
On 5/23/2017 at 4:40 PM, ljenkins782 said:

That was Alex with the vacuum? I was only half watching, but I picked him out from the intro pieces and then didn't think I saw him at all after that. Very attractive guy, but got so little screen time. 

Yes that was him. I thought he was attractive too but what little screen time he got was not good in my opinion. I watched it over to see if he explained his reason for the vacuum cleaner. When he got out of the limo my first thought was he's going to play off the "sweep you off your feet" line but I couldn't remember what he said just that he didn't say that. So when I watched it again he said, "Hello I'm Alex I'm part of the cleaning crew around here". What?? Way to go Alex that made perfect sense...not! Then he continued to embarrass himself further by pulling it around in front of Rachel as she was talking to one of the other guys as if he was cleaning..lol.

I really wish this show would stop with all the gimmicky introductions and shtick. It's been way overdone for years now.

• Love 2
On 5/23/2017 at 3:26 PM, alannaofdoom said:

Josiah became my immediate favorite when he came with "reasonable doubt" and then closed with "See ya later litigator." Exactly the perfect amount of cheesy. I also really like Kenny, though I didn't entirely expect to - shame on me for pre-judging based on his being a professional wrestler - he seems like he's got his shit together and doesn't have patience for much nonsense. 

I don't know if I have favourite yet, but I will agree with the "See ya later, litigator" love. That may be one of the most genuinely clever things anyone has ever said during the meet and greet.

I know who's my not favourite, though, and the less said about him, the better. I desperately hope they don't make her keep him too long, because I really don't know how much of him I can stomach.

I will also say that this may be the most attractive bunch I've seen in a while. So if nothing else, at least I'll have some eye candy. :)

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

I watched it over to see if he explained his reason for the vacuum cleaner. When he got out of the limo my first thought was he's going to play off the "sweep you off your feet" line but I couldn't remember what he said just that he didn't say that. So when I watched it again he said, "Hello I'm Alex I'm part of the cleaning crew around here". What??

I'm pretty sure the vacuum cleaner bit was a play on Rachel's own intro video from Nick's season, where she was shown dancing around her apartment vacuuming. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm pretty sure the vacuum cleaner bit was a play on Rachel's own intro video from Nick's season, where she was shown dancing around her apartment vacuuming. 

wow that is really "inside baseball" for those who *really* pay attention

• Love 3
On 5/23/2017 at 7:57 AM, In2You said:

Asian Blake had to leave due to family issues

So did she know this before not giving him a Rose? I  was sooo smitten with him I wanted to give him the golden buzzer like on Americas got talent and send him to the finals!!

• Love 3

I am hoping for a few more posts so that I can understand all that happened.  It sounds as if it was genuinely funny!  My coworkers are not watching this season and my friend was at a conference out of town.   

Who was the best dressed? How many people were let go? 

3 minutes ago, jaycie622 said:

Do the producers tell her who she cannot send home? She kept Whaboom?! Oy!

Yes, they do. The lead tells them on night one the five or six people they're really interested in. The rest gets eliminated in the order that producers want them to; the ones with high drama/controversy potential get to stick around for a while.

(edited)

I have a question - Can Rachel swim?  I don't remember her going on any water based dates with Nick, and it looks like none of her destinations are a beach - which is very weird!  the PTB not showing people half naked in swim suits?  Heaven forbid!  No previews of scantily clad people jumping from cliffs into waterfall ponds or ocean waves.

It looks like they maybe learned their lesson with Jo Jo and didn't totally telegraph the winner in the "This season on..."  Jordan was in over half of the shots, and there were way more shots of them canoodiling than her with anyone else. Rachel's "this season on" has a wide variety of men in it, the guy shown the most isthe "once you go black" guy and one of the skinny black guys.

Edited by Ripley68

Just watched it, and my one overwhelming thought is for Whaboom to stop it. Just stop it. Every time he came on screen I kept thinking "no, please, please don't do it again, please don't, this is so painfully embarrassing..." Dude, please watch this and realize how unbearably ridiculous you look and never do that stupid thing again. Please. I generally tend to enjoy the obnoxious contestants who are clearly just there to cause drama - I was a big Corrine fan - but this guy is just absolutely cringeworthy. I have to imagine he's going home soon, especially since he was featured in exactly zero of the preview clips.

Other than that, I liked Josiah a lot, though I wasn't crazy about how cocky he got. Hope he turns that down. The wrestler guy, I was lukewarm towards him at first but he won me over by the end. Bryan charmed me quite a bit. The doll weirded me out but it was a pretty good conversation topic - I laughed out loud at Rachel's "...is AJ going to be sticking around?" As annoying as the Whaboom guy is, the guy who confronted him is just as obnoxious. When will these people learn that worrying about what anyone else is doing is the absolute wrong tactic? Though I guess that's assuming that he's really there for the right reasons and not just to be on TV, and picking a fight with the house crazy guy would get him lots more screentime. I did enjoy their exchange when Whaboom called him on having a canned answer about his interest in Rachel and he pointed out that Whaboom has his catchphrase on his tshirt and Whaboom took a pause and then acknowledged that he's right.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

Yes that was him. I thought he was attractive too but what little screen time he got was not good in my opinion. I watched it over to see if he explained his reason for the vacuum cleaner. When he got out of the limo my first thought was he's going to play off the "sweep you off your feet" line but I couldn't remember what he said just that he didn't say that. So when I watched it again he said, "Hello I'm Alex I'm part of the cleaning crew around here". What?? Way to go Alex that made perfect sense...not! Then he continued to embarrass himself further by pulling it around in front of Rachel as she was talking to one of the other guys as if he was cleaning..lol.

I really wish this show would stop with all the gimmicky introductions and shtick. It's been way overdone for years now.

Yes, but isn't he the one whose bio said he doesn't like music?  I could never be with a man that doesn't like music, and I'd bet it is a part of Rachel's life.  I just remember the name because I saw the clip from Ellen. Could be a different guy especially as this franchise seems to like having people with the same name in the same season.  Whenever I read the boards and try to follow it is hard to keep up. 

Had anybody looked up the whaboom hashtag? I won't allow myself to contribute to its potential to trend by looking it up myself. Anybody want to take one for the team?!

On Jimmy Kimmel, Rachel said the producers did not make her keep Lucas. (/side-eye)

(edited)

Took one for the team and searchrd #waboom on Twitter. It's overwhelmingly in agreement that the guy is insane and needs to go, but my favorites were these:

IMG_3768.PNG

IMG_3769.PNG

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yes I forgot all about that. Good catch there. Although I still don't get how that would necessarily impress her. Like, "look I can vacuum too!" was supposed to show how much he wanted to be there or that he was oh so clever. He should have referenced the clip of her vacuuming and put a cute spin on it to make that work. But he said he was part of the cleaning crew?? And for Pete's sake don't lug the thing around all night...lol. I hope he improves because I do think he is attractive.

It makes me wonder if any of these cheesy embarrassing  stunts have ever produced a winner or even a top three. Does anyone know or remember? Because seems to me the straightforward truly clever or cute introductions always produce the winner.

3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Yes, but isn't he the one whose bio said he doesn't like music?  I could never be with a man that doesn't like music, and I'd bet it is a part of Rachel's life.  I just remember the name because I saw the clip from Ellen. Could be a different guy especially as this franchise seems to like having people with the same name in the same season.  Whenever I read the boards and try to follow it is hard to keep up. 

I had to check out the bios again and yes he's the one. They asked his three favorite groups and he could only name two. Then he said that music wasn't a big part of his life.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

It makes me wonder if any of these cheesy embarrassing  stunts have ever produced a winner or even a top three. Does anyone know or remember? Because seems to me the straightforward truly clever or cute introductions always produce the winner.

On Sean's Bachelor season, Lindsay showed up in a wedding dress on night one. She went on to be F2. On Brad 2.0, Chantal slapped him right after she got out of the limo, saying it was "for America" or some such BS. She was F2 as well. Clare showed up with a fake baby bump on Juan Pablo's season - ended up being F2 as well. Kaitlyn told Prince Farming that he was welcome to plow her field anytime - she made it to F3. I'm trying to remember similar cases on the Bachelorette, but nothing comes immediately to mind. Seems like male leads are more tolerant of gimmicky entrances than female ones.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, TVGlow said:

Had anybody looked up the whaboom hashtag? I won't allow myself to contribute to its potential to trend by looking it up myself. Anybody want to take one for the team?!

On Jimmy Kimmel, Rachel said the producers did not make her keep Lucas. (/side-eye)

Rachel....Rachel...Rachel.... please blink your eyes twice or give us some sign they pushed that dude, otherwise I'll have to rethink everything I thought you had going for you..

Edited by Venee
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, TVGlow said:

I don't believe it. They must have forced her to say that too. Besides the ridiculous shaking head, he was RUDE, with that bullhorn. Obnoxious.

• Love 4
On 5/22/2017 at 11:03 PM, KenyaJ said:

Demario could have been a contender, but he lost me the moment he said “Her and I.” I can’t deal with an entire season of hearing that come out of the contestants’ mouths.

I would LOVE it if there were a teacher on the sidelines with a ruler who would come out and smack anyone who uses bad grammar.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

On Sean's Bachelor season, Lindsay showed up in a wedding dress on night one. She went on to be F2. On Brad 2.0, Chantal slapped him right after she got out of the limo, saying it was "for America" or some such BS. She was F2 as well. Clare showed up with a fake baby bump on Juan Pablo's season - ended up being F2 as well. Kaitlyn told Prince Farming that he was welcome to plow her field anytime - she made it to F3.

JoJo also came out with a stuffed unicorn on her head in Ben's season and she made it to F2.

• Love 4
  20 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

Fun podcast but they spend WAAAAAY too much time on Lucas. Don't want to watch him and don't want to hear people talk about  him. Moving on.

Also I felt they were prejudiced against Lee saying he was a "country boy." They took it to mean he's racist.

16 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Who was the best dressed?

Milton. We know, because he told us repeatedly.

2 hours ago, Sharonbee said:

Also I felt they were prejudiced against Lee saying he was a "country boy." They took it to mean he's racist.

I have to admit that my brain went there too. Not because he said he was a country boy, but because he said something to the effect of "I'm a country boy, so I'm going to have some problems with some of the people here." Something about the way he said it made it sound like he was trying to avoid saying something. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, though, and that it was just a slightly weird moment.

• Love 6
(edited)
19 minutes ago, kingshearte said:

I have to admit that my brain went there too. Not because he said he was a country boy, but because he said something to the effect of "I'm a country boy, so I'm going to have some problems with some of the people here." Something about the way he said it made it sound like he was trying to avoid saying something. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, though, and that it was just a slightly weird moment.

If I'm being honest, so did I. Especially as the preview seemed to suggest that his issues were with multiple black guys, while we didn't see him going at it with any of the white guys. That said, I'll wait and see how it plays out. It'd be just like the producers to have edited the season long promo to illicit that exact assumption and reaction because they're gross like that.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:
30 minutes ago, kingshearte said:

If I'm being honest, so did I. Especially as the preview seemed to suggest that his issues were with multiple black guys, while we didn't see him going at it with any of the white guys. That said, I'll wait and see how it plays out. It'd be just like the producers to have edited the season long promo to illicit that exact assumption and reaction because they're gross like that.

Exactly.  It could be as simple as the "problem" being that they wouldn't accept him going on a reality show.

I loved the way the penis guy/drummer "dressed down" (pun intended) Lucas. I'd have gone with:

1. Dude, you have a catchphrase.

2. You have made t-shirts with said catchphrase and a self-caricature.

3. You wore your own shirt under a suit jacket.

Yeah, three strikes...

On 5/23/2017 at 0:16 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I follow this column called "Ask a Manager".  It is an ADDICTIVE AS HELL column where people write in their work problems to a manager named Alison Green.

There was once a case where somebody tickled a coworker, and that coworker was so upset she wanted the tickling coworker to be fired.  The comments were very interesting - some people hate hate hate hate that, and some people even have bad childhood (read: disturbing) associations with being tickled.  It's just useful to know, in general, that so many people see that as an assault (I was not aware of that -- not that I'd EVER go around tickling people!) and so many people see tickling without permission with such wildly varying degrees of seriousness!  It really opened my eyes.

http://www.askamanager.org/

OK that site is completely addictive! 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I loved the way the penis guy/drummer "dressed down" (pun intended) Lucas. I'd have gone with:

1. Dude, you have a catchphrase.

2. You have made t-shirts with said catchphrase and a self-caricature.

3. You wore your own shirt under a suit jacket.

Yeah, three strikes...

That guy was like some type of Junior High hall monitor though! Has he not heard of the phrase "When someone is digging a hole don't take away their shovel..."?

• Love 2

I really liked Rachel as well, but the "best ever" love fest makes me laugh a little, because it feels like it happens after nearly every premiere. I guess people suffer from Bachelor/ette fatigue by the end of each season and then after a little break it's so refreshing to have a new lead and the lead him/herself is still alert and excited at the start, so they seem very personable and on top of things. Give it a few weeks and tiredness kicks in, editors focus on the drama instead of relationships and the format starts to feel stale again. Then it's downhill from there. Hopefully Rachel can keep her momentum, but it remains to be seen. She does seem more intelligent than usual and very kind and easygoing. I wouldn't have known what to do or say when Lucas showed up, but she handled it very well. Good for her.

I thought there were quite a few legit options this time, unlike last year, so that's promising. I really don't get why they cast the openly crazy these days though, because it's not funny. It's interesting when seemingly normal people turn out to be crazy or otherwise dysfunctional, but when they act like total clowns straight out of the limo, it just makes the whole show seem like a joke. And no, no one believes Rachel wanted to keep Lucas over some of the others no matter how many times she says it in interviews. I don't want forced drama.

Josiah's story was so tragic and inspirational at the same time. I like him so far, though he may be a bit cocky.

Peter is very easy on the eyes and I loved his reaction to Rachel saying she doesn't like chocolate. Also, what's wrong with you Rachel?! How can you not like chocolate?

I disliked Dean's comment at ATFR, but he's actually pretty cute. So smiley!

Alex, the vacuuming Russian, got my attention, because not many fit guys like to code for fun. I also appreciate a goofy sense of humour.

Kenny seemed very sweet and mature which I wasn't expecting from a wrestler I guess.

Fred, the "bad kid" was also pretty handsome and I loved Rachel's reaction to him. How weird would it be to date someone five years younger who you knew as a kid? I don't think I could ever get past it.

Bryan didn't impress me at all. All the Spanish speaking seemed like such a player move and the kiss was just disgusting to me. I guess she liked it though since she went for seconds, so good for her... I guess. I nearly lost my dinner. He also reminds me of Josh, not only in looks, but the fact that people keep referring to him as good-looking while I don't see anything I like. He just looks odd to me. Plastic surgery?

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, MsPH said:

Fred, the "bad kid" was also pretty handsome and I loved Rachel's reaction to him. How weird would it be to date someone five years younger who you knew as a kid? I don't think I could ever get past it.

The oddest part is it's kind of like going on vacation and meeting up with someone who ends up being from your town, to come on the show to find someone you knew once would be a crazy thing. I'm fairly sure that's why he was cast.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, MsPH said:

I really liked Rachel as well, but the "best ever" love fest makes me laugh a little, because it feels like it happens after nearly every premiere. I guess people suffer from Bachelor/ette fatigue by the end of each season and then after a little break it's so refreshing to have a new lead and the lead him/herself is still alert and excited at the start, so they seem very personable and on top of things. Give it a few weeks and tiredness kicks in, editors focus on the drama instead of relationships and the format starts to feel stale again.

Yup, pretty much. Rinse, lather and repeat. I enjoyed the premiere but I too didn't get the best and funniest in so long. Seemed like your standard Bachelor/Bachelorette season premiere to me. 

8 minutes ago, MsPH said:

He just looks odd to me. Plastic surgery?

I saw some people speculating online that he might have fillers in his cheek. I don't think there's any proof of this but just people's suspicions.

(edited)
1 hour ago, MsPH said:

I really liked Rachel as well, but the "best ever" love fest makes me laugh a little, because it feels like it happens after nearly every premiere.

I haven't been excited about a bachette ever that I remember.  I grow to like them or not.  I am dazzled by Rachael and for me she is the best so far at first glimpse and that may change.  I was the most impressed when I read that CH called her controlling.  Loved that, I wish more leads would put their foot down.  I liked Andi all through her season until ATFR.   I am a cynic and don't sucked in easily.  I did with Jef and that was the last time.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

If I'm being honest, so did I. Especially as the preview seemed to suggest that his issues were with multiple black guys, while we didn't see him going at it with any of the white guys. That said, I'll wait and see how it plays out. It'd be just like the producers to have edited the season long promo to illicit that exact assumption and reaction because they're gross like that.

Looking and thinking back I can see why many thought that and went there. I took it more like he was doing himself a disservice by singling himself out like that.  I thought he was distinguishing himself as different in that he was country while the others weren't. I'm country but I don't think like that. I like meeting and getting to know people from other regions. Not really sure where he was going with that but regardless I can already say I don't like him. He looks like he's going to be a troublemaker if the previews are any indication.

Edited by yorklee2

Somebody..anybody....what is Peter's speaking voice like?  Is he cocky?  I honestly only find him attractive...Dean is in a boyish way, Eric, in a boyish way, but if you look at him too long not so muck.  Blake K, whom I understand was sent home. Jack in still pictures, but I saw him on Access Hollywood or something and he is not attractive in person. I think they could have found more attractive guys.  Sue me....I know looks are not everything, but they help!

There were a couple of others that I felt like should be attractive to me, but were not in pictures and clips.  Peter is attractive, but when his hair is a certain way and with facial hair he is drop dead gorgeous!   I may have to watch just to get a glimpse of him here and there.  

Bryan does nothing for me and Dean seems to talk without opening his teeth...like he talks through his smile.  It is kind of creepy.  

My friend at work (the only one still watching) said that there was a lot of trash talking that turned her off. 

Not sure about the premiere, but it has been easy to like Rachel in the interviews that I have seen.  She has come across as confident and has been generally well styled.  From reading this thread I am sure she will make the same questionable decisions that others have.   I don't think it is fair to compare any of the previous Bachelorettes. I have not watched other seasons, but all of them come from different places in their lives and surely had a different group of men. 

What is it about this franchise that makes you want to snark on people? I am generally not like that, but I can find plenty of things to say about contestants and the leads.  I snippets of Nick's season and he was super annoying, as was Corinne.