Type keyword(s) to search

Heroes Reborn

nymusix

How do you feel about NBC rebooting Heroes for a limited run season?   POLL CLOSED

83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about NBC rebooting Heroes for a limited run season?

• Awesome! I can't wait
    • Hilariously inconceived

I gave up after S2 of the original. I might have tried the reboot if anyone but Kring was in charge, but I'm fine to ignore it.

With this and the J-Lo cop show, NBC really seems to be saying "Look, 2014 is probably going to suck for us! But we've got some stuff you might like coming in mid-2015! Don't leave us!"

• Love 2

Not having read anything about this, if they have new characters and new actors (like Season 2 was supposed to be), it might not suck. But since they will want familiar faces, we'll get whomever is affordable and not busy. So, I'll go with ill-conceived.

Claire was the only character I even slightly cared about by the time I quit the show, and I can't see them getting Hayden Panettiere back. I'm also content watching her steal the show over on Nashville. I have no interest in this at all (well, besides an interest in seeing just how bad it is, I suppose).

Put me as "hopefully optimistic".  I'm hoping we get the same blend of ethnicities that Heroes reached, and some of the awesome heros that were launched and dropped.  I'm hoping we don't get the Bennecillis.  And luckily, we'll have a couple of episodes

Consider me cautiously optimistic. When the show worked, it was awesome. And when it didn't work, well, we had a dude turn into a spider and we followed a travelling carnival lead by a guy with an evil scheme almost as nebulous as his accent. (Oh, Robert Kneppler. We had such high hopes....)

As horrible as 90% of the 4th season was, though, I still liked the show by and large. Hell, the symbol from the show is still the background on my laptop. And, God help me, I'm actually looking forward to Heroes Reborn.

• Love 7

The first season was the only good season, IMO.  I remember discussions of people wanting to bring in new heros after the first season, but a lot of us were attached to the original heroes.  I'm glad they kept the original heroes, but I think the show became a victim  of it's own popularity.  After the summer press junket and getting everyone hyped up for the show, the writers failed to deliver.  :(

• Love 1

If people wanted an "Ordinary people with extraordinary abilities" show - then I'd rather they made another series of Alphas, which addressed most of the problems of Heroes (villains succeeding only because the heroes are idiots, powers that should enable the heroes to win easily). Maybe in another decade...

• Love 4

I'm a sucker for super-powers and enjoyed Heroes generally. I just accepted it as a bit of fun. I'd rather re-watch every season of Heroes on repeat than most of the reality/cop show/hospital dramas that clog up our screens any day. Bring it on.

• Love 5

She wasn't dead, she was just...resting.  Pining for the fjords.

I'm rather thankful I'm not drinking anything at the moment. :)

Honestly, I'm cautiously optimistic about the reboot. At the same time, I kinda doubt I'll remember it's on when it finally comes around. I'm sure Mark and the Spruce will do their best to remind me, though.

I'm very happy to hear this!  By the end of the original I was frustrated at how fast the show had fallen, but I'm rewatching the series with my son and remembering just how much I loved the first few seasons.  If done right, this could be very good!

• Love 1

I think that they could do it right, especially if it's a wrap-up kind of deal (with the potential to take all-new courses if the series does well).

For goodness sake though, if Hiro returns they need to stop reverting him to his 9-year-old self.

Happy that Coleman's involved, it would be good to have Bennett back. Also, in a way, would be nice to get Suresh involved.

And a grown-up Noah Gray-Cabey would be the icing on the cake.

Little hope of having Claire or Sylar, they've moved on to bigger and brighter things, but their characters' fates could be explained or hinted at in some fashion, they're not essential to continuing the story.

• Love 1
Little hope of having Claire or Sylar, they've moved on to bigger and brighter things, but their characters' fates could be explained or hinted at in some fashion, they're not essential to continuing the story.

I agree.  Those characters are unlikely to come back, but they could (perhaps) show Claire having a 2 minute phone call to her dad, or it could be mentioned that she's hiding out in the wilds of Canada or something.   Sylar could just be talked about as someone who's disappeared, with various rumors of sightings all around the world.  

I just went digging and found this.  I'm not sure how authoritative it is, but in an article on Wendy and Lisa getting the Shirley Walker award from ASCAP it says:

Wendy and Lisa's body of work on the big screen includes scoring Dangerous Minds, Toys, Soul Food, Something New, and Just Right. And on the small screen: Carnivale, Crossing Jordan, Witches of East End, Touch, Nurse Jackie, and Heroes, which upon returning to television soon will once again feature the duo composing.
(Emphasis added)

And, of course, over in the Media thread the news of Zachary Levi joining the cast broke at the TCA tour.

Zachary Quinto/Sylar not returning. THANK GOODNESS. They ran that character into the ground. (Then they dug him up and started all over.)

I have my favorites from the original series, but if they're going to do this, I rather they start fresh with a whole new cast. I'm not excited that HRG/Coleman is coming back, because then we have to revisit the old storylines that went to crap.

I second the gratitude that Sylar isn't coming back! I was tired of him by the end of season 2. His continued presence honestly was a big factor in driving me away from the show in midseason 3 (I think). And now I'm listening to season 4 and he's everywhere! He's Nathan, he's in Matt's head...ugh!

I think one of the few old characters I wouldn't mind seeing return is Mohinder. HRG...I don't know. It will be hard to untie him from all the family stories that dominated his arc on the original show.

I think HRG will be fine... it's unlikely that Claire will be back because Nashville, and IIRC Sandra had left him well before the series ended.  The actor who played Lyle, AFAICT, just started at Duke Law School, so he's unlikely to be back.  I still think he's a fine way to handle the exposition of what's happened since Claire jumped off the tower.

NBC says that "launch a digital series prior to the premiere that will introduce the characters and new storylines."

I wonder if they'll have tie-in comics like the original series? Maybe not; I'm assuming the budget will be lower, and the show less ambitious.

• Love 1

And, of course, over in the Media thread the news of Zachary Levi joining the cast broke at the TCA tour.

And a big enough character that he's only one of two faces (and one character we don't see the face of--but who could just be a placeholder for every character with powers) in a freaking Superbowl commercial.  

It's not clear if he and HRG are cooperating, or opponents, but I get the vibe from the commercial that maybe we're supposed to see them as opposing forces. And since HRG eventually got slotted into the role of good guy, it would mean Zach is the heavy.

It's not clear if he and HRG are cooperating, or opponents, but I get the vibe from the commercial that maybe we're supposed to see them as opposing forces. And since HRG eventually got slotted into the role of good guy, it would mean Zach is the heavy.

If that's the case, then kudos to Zach Levi for not being typecast as the hero. (Then again, I've never had a problem separating actors from their past roles. Apparently, that's a rare trait.)
  • Love 4

I personally think that Heroes has gotten a bad rap for being a lot worse than it actually is in later seasons. But, I am a binge watcher who didn't even discover it until a year ago. I do think that the flaws, when you watch episodes one after another, are less noticeable, compared to watching in real time all those  years ago. I think when you watch something in real time, you have repeats and summer/winter hiatus and other times the show isn't on, to reflect on the good and bad. Whereas with binge watching, you don't have that luxury.

As a binge watcher, I just don't think the last three seasons were nearly as bad as all that.

So many worse shows, more mediocre shows, last longer and aren't nearly as memorable. But, that's just my two cents. I am not denying the flaws-many plot points simply make no logical sense, there are plot holes, etc. The magic blood, etc. Of course there are things wrong with the show.

But look at how long some of the garbage on TV has lasted, and most of it isn't one whit better. *shrug*

Of course, the main reason I got sucked in, the main reason I went out and bought all four seasons: The Petrelli Brothers. Mostly for Adrian Pasdar/Nathan. I love them. So underrated(both the character and actor). My dad loves the show, and I am sitting with him and my mom rewatching it all, we are now almost to the end of season four. The Fifth Stage will be our next show.

*wipes away a tear*

Anyway-I'm gonna give Reborn a chance. If they don't have a character  that grabs my attention like Nathan did,  or a relationship like the Petrelli Brothers to suck me in, I don't know how far past the first episode I'll get. That remains to be seen.

I'm a sucker for super-powers and enjoyed Heroes generally. I just accepted it as a bit of fun. I'd rather re-watch every season of Heroes on repeat than most of the reality/cop show/hospital dramas that clog up our screens any day. Bring it on.

Oh, dear. I should have just dittoed you. I mean, if crap shows like Supernatural and all the CSI's and Law and Order SVU can last this long (oh there are other shows, just these stick out at the moment), why NOT a Heroes reboot?

At it's best, it was better than most, at it's worst, it was still entertaining, even if it sometimes had plot holes you could drive a truck through.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 3

I liked Matt well enough. It won't feel quite right though, without knowing what happened to Angela and Peter. Perhaps Christine Rose will also be back? I would have loved to see Nathan's sons, now in their teens, with or without abilities.

Ah, well.

Adrian Pasdar is so wasted on "Shield". I wouldn't have even cared at this point, if he weren't Nathan. Would be a kick in the pants if he were coming back as someone else and Kring has kept it secret.

I can dream. Don't ruin it, ya'll.

And another: Judith Shekoni has signed on.  Also, Grunny has said some things that made it sound like he might be back, and back in January Masi Oka tweeted this, which we don't know what it means.... it could have been a countdown to the Super Bowl.  (He also played "Replace A Letter, Ruin A TV Show" and came up with "Herpes".)

Two more: Ryan Guzman and Gatlin Green are now part of this.  From the linked article:

"Details on Guzman and Green’s characters are not being disclosed, but if the circulated breakdowns for the project are any indication, Guzman might be playing a former military guy, and Green could be playing a sweet, popular girl."