Type keyword(s) to search

Rent Live! (Fox) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I wonder if the actors were holding back a bit expecting to give it their all during the live show. 

As former performer, you always treat your dress rehearsal as if it was the first performance. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

It's still early, but I'm not loving Angel. They just don't seem like a very strong (or maybe just not very good) singer. 

Valentina, the actor playing Angel, has so many stans in the audience it's almost impossible to hear him singing. 

I would've preferred Angel a bit less arch and winking.  Hopefully now that his establishing character moment is done, he'll draw back just a bit.  And poor Tinashe - that's a brutal staging of Out Tonight.  Between the dancing and having to sing above the audience, I'm surprised she didn't lose her voice entirely.

• Love 1

I’ve seen 2 live performances of Rent and both times Mimi has climbed all over and hung upside down from the scaffolding while singing the “ow-oooooht” part. I think it’s just a tough one! 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, cincivic said:

As former performer, you always treat your dress rehearsal as if it was the first performance. 

Thanks. The singing is good and I like the actors. But I guess I'm just not feeling it for some reason.

Edited by Snow Apple

Will I is probably one of my favorite songs, and whoever it was that opened it was beautiful. Does anyone know if any of the original cast will be doing any cameos or joining in the last Seasons of Love?

7 minutes ago, AdorkableWitch said:

Valentina, the actor playing Angel, has so many stans in the audience it's almost impossible to hear him singing. 

Gotcha. That makes sense. I did a quick IMDB search and a couple of the cast didn't seem to have much singing background (including him) but that site can be wrong. 

• Love 1

In the little explanation about Brennin Hunt, Vanessa Hudgens said that, while much of tonight's airing is pre-recorded, they were reworking the finale and the original Broadway cast would be joining them.  I'm assuming they're either going to be singing Seasons of Love, or possibly that Love Heals bonus track from the Rent movie soundtrack.  Most likely Seasons of Love.

4 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Will I is probably one of my favorite songs, and whoever it was that opened it was beautiful. Does anyone know if any of the original cast will be doing any cameos or joining in the last Seasons of Love?

Gotcha. That makes sense. I did a quick IMDB search and a couple of the cast didn't seem to have much singing background (including him) but that site can be wrong. 

He was a fan favorite on RuPaul's Drag Race. The fans can be intense. 

The screaming audience is ruining this for me. I don’t want to hear them damnit.

I don’t recall this being an issue in The Wiz Live. Was it?

Edited by ms.o
  • Love 9
Just now, ms.o said:

The screaming audience is ruining this for me. I don’t want to hear them damnit 

Yeah, same. This was a problem I had during the Super star musical last April and I know the audience is part of the show when it’s live regardless(or I was told that) but it took me out of it. and it’s doing the same here.

And I know all these live shows hVe audiences right? But in these two live shows, for some reason the use of them in these two musicals is taking out.

And they just showed an ad for the stage show going on stage again this March and I wAnt to go! I’ve never seen t on stage but I’ve studied in my all my musical theater classes and fell in love and now I feel like I have to see it!

9 minutes ago, ms.o said:

The screaming audience is ruining this for me. I don’t want to hear them damnit.

I don’t recall this being an issue in The Wiz Live. Was it?

There was no studio audience during The Wiz.  Some people thought it was a problem.  I'm fine with it either way.

I just got home and thought "is this on tape" because it didn't look live.  And...it's not.  Oh well, Rent was never one of my favorite shows.  I just like the live on TV thing.  And I love theatre. 

1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

There was no studio audience during The Wiz.  Some people thought it was a problem.  I'm fine with it either way.

I just got home and thought "is this on tape" because it didn't look live.  And...it's not.  Oh well, Rent was never one of my favorite shows.  I just like the live on TV thing.  And I love theatre. 

I think parts of it are still live? Or maybe I’m wrong?

Also did everyone just lose their minds over Vanessa Hudgens? I’m not sure what to make of that.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I think parts of it are still live? Or maybe I’m wrong?

Honestly, I don't know since I've only been home for about 20 minutes.  Peeps above said the last act will be live, so we can look forward to that.  I hope. 

7 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

And they just showed an ad for the stage show going on stage again this March and I wAnt to go! I’ve never seen t on stage but I’ve studied in my all my musical theater classes and fell in love and now I feel like I have to see it!

Ive seen twice on Broadway and once in Philly and would totally go again but the dates I cam go in Philly there are no tickets available. You should definitely go if you can.

Loved see marks sweater! Actually really liked all of Christmas Bells

• Love 2
Just now, shoregirl said:

Ive seen twice on Broadway and once in Philly and would totally go again but the dates I cam go in Philly there are no tickets available. You should definitely go if you can.

Loved see marks sweater! Actually really liked all of Christmas Bells

I would love to go. It’s what brought me to love theater and I’ve only seen productions on tape to study and of course the movie. 

3 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Honestly, I don't know since I've only been home for about 20 minutes.  Peeps above said the last act will be live, so we can look forward to that.  I hope. 

Okay I just read a post from the first page of this forum and it said only the FINAL act will be live. The rest is the dress rehearsal tape I guess from before the guy that plays roger broke his leg. That kind of explains maybe why it’s so stilted.

Vanessa is doing okay I guess?

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah, same. This was a problem I had during the Super star musical last April and I know the audience is part of the show when it’s live regardless(or I was told that) but it took me out of it. and it’s doing the same here.

And I know all these live shows hVe audiences right? But in these two live shows, for some reason the use of them in these two musicals is taking out.

I have seen it live three times (one on Broadway) and truthfully the best version was a tour that came to my University in the 90's. Second was a revival tour in the 2000's ( my friends was asst tour manager and I got to see it a few times and helped with merch). See it live if you can, just to see it live, but nothing can beat that movie with original cast.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Audiences tend to stay quiet on Broadway, unless there's audience participation or a particular awesome song/singer that just blows everyone away. Cheering is fine, but when it's almost constant and you can't hear what's being sung, is a big problem. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I am too although I lean slightly more against having an audience.  Grease Live! got a lot of praise for the audience but I hated it.  Jesus Christ Superstar struggled with the sound mix between what was happening on stage initially but I think they figured it out and the audience there worked for me. 

Something about the staging of this isn't working for me. I don't know if it's because there are too many characters in too many different places but it's hard to focus.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

It's still early, but I'm not loving Angel. They just don't seem like a very strong (or maybe just not very good) singer. 

I thought there might have been something wrong with their mic but everyone else sounds good.  Maybe a bit out of breath?  

1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

I am too although I lean slightly more against having an audience.  Grease Live! got a lot of praise for the audience but I hated it.  Jesus Christ Superstar struggled with the sound mix between what was happening on stage initially but I think they figured it out and the audience there worked for me. 

Something about the staging of this isn't working for me. I don't know if it's because there are too many characters in too many different places but it's hard to focus.

I mean I was fine with it during grease but when it takes away from the performance that’s a problem, like here and like Jesus Christ superstar.

So far I’m impressed with Jordan Fisher and Kiersey Clemons. 

Oh hell no they  changed up La Vie Boheme. Damnit

a local theatre did a production about 5 years ago and they completely cut out ‘Contact’. I was livid  

• Love 1

So far, it’s not bad, but a lack of vocal power is definitely evident. Today 4 U was the worst so far. It should be a showstopper dance number with Angel going all over the place. Cringeworthy. 

ETA; Looked up who’s playing Angel and they’re apparently from RuPaul’s Drag Race, not a trained theatre performer. It shows....

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, ms.o said:

a local theatre did a production about 5 years ago and they completely cut out ‘Contact’. I was livid  

I don't think it was in the movie either. I doubt , basing on how much they changed La Vie Boehme, it's going to be in here either. I wonder if they are doing the High School version to clear it for network air.

I don't like the staging if Seasons of Love . it sounds good but it should be just them standing in a row

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

So far, it’s not bad, but a lack of vocal power is definitely evident. Today 4 U was the worst so far. It should be a showstopper dance number with Angel going all over the place. Cringeworthy. 

I think this is it. Some are pretty decent (Maureen, Rooger, Mark - though I love Mark so that might just be me), others....maybe not so much. It became really evident with Settle doing Seasons of Love.  Some of those voices will not be able to handle that song. 

1 minute ago, Ruby Gillis said:

So all of this is the dress rehearsal?  They don't cut to actual live performance for scenes that Roger isn't in?

I think they'd need more time to figure out the transitions.  It was too close to airtime for that. It's a shame because it's like some of them were holding back during rehearsal to wait for the live event.