Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Coup de Grace

NOTE: Reign airs on Thursdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Friday night to view the new episode.

Darnley teams up with John Knox to strip Mary of her throne, and this plot will leave a friend of Mary's dead. Meanwhile, Elizabeth must banish Gideon from court; and Charles takes a bold stance against his brother Henri.

I think this may have been the least Mary-ful episode of the entire series. Poor Rizzio has met his fate but I don't know the history well enough to understand where they're cutting and pasting things. I feel like I read somewhere that Rizzio was intentionally murdered in front of Mary in an attempt to frighten her into miscarriage? In any case, one thing I felt was really important that they should have been using all season was the opposition to Mary as essentially a foreigner. Her half-French background and her full-French upbringing were a major point used against her and yet I felt it was maybe the second time we heard about it on the show?

I'm having trouble getting a read on Nicole; after her betrayal by Narcisse I can't imagine that she would believe Henri loved her, and honestly I don't see at all why she would prefer Henri to Charles. (Well, maybe some physical differences but honestly, if she doesn't love either brother she should be sticking to the one that gives her power.) Henri is petty and simple. Does he really think he's won some sort of cosmic game by luring Nicole while she was distraught? At least now she has an idea of what she's been doing to Charles, now that Narcisse has done it to her.

Elizabeth is rivaling Claude on being ridiculous about her marriage prospects. The Duke is a dreamboat. He scored extra points with me for seeing through her lies (and man, what an incredibly crappy liar she is! Come on now, I refuse to believe that the Real Queen Bess was anything other than a master actress.) No points for that ring though, yikes.

On 5/20/2017 at 0:42 AM, PinkRibbons said:

Poor Rizzio has met his fate but I don't know the history well enough to understand where they're cutting and pasting things. I feel like I read somewhere that Rizzio was intentionally murdered in front of Mary in an attempt to frighten her into miscarriage?

Seems like most people have given up on "Reign". It's in its last throes. Anyway, I don't think the purpose for the savage murder was to induce a miscarriage, the Lord that incited the crime was using the whole disaster to silence Rizzio from announcing the Lord's pecadillios with other men. You'll notice he wanted to silence Rizzio just when he attempted to speak and he said, "All lies".

• Love 1
On May 20, 2017 at 0:42 AM, PinkRibbons said:

Her half-French background and her full-French upbringing were a major point used against her

I always have to laugh during Elizabeth: The Golden Age when the Mary QoS actress uses a Scottish accent. 

The Rizzio scene was horrifying.

So hate the portrayal of Liz as a lovesick loon. Oh well, at least the Tudors emphasized how smart she was.

I keep wondering two things: how much further can they get in three episodes, and when (and how) will Darnley finally bite it? I'm actually surprised that he's still around after he threatened the baby's legitimacy, and that was weeks ago.

The show does make me want to look into how accurate they are with issues like the privy council wanting to find any reason to overthrow Mary. But I agree, this is a death march at this point, and really, this is some good real-life drama and it shouldn't be boring.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I don't think the purpose for the savage murder was to induce a miscarriage, the Lord that incited the crime was using the whole disaster to silence Rizzio from announcing the Lord's pecadillios with other men. You'll notice he wanted to silence Rizzio just when he attempted to speak and he said, "All lies".

Oh I don't think it was that on the show, I mean I feel like I read that in actual history one of the reasons for killing Rizzio in front of Mary was to induce a miscarriage. But I can't find any sources so maybe I was thinking of someone else...

Mary was never a strong leader, especially when compared to Elizabeth I.  And Reign (at this stage of the game) just sucks.  I will say that the murder of Rizzio was horrifically well done.

13 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:
15 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Oh I don't think it was that on the show, I mean I feel like I read that in actual history one of the reasons for killing Rizzio in front of Mary was to induce a miscarriage. But I can't find any sources so maybe I was thinking of someone else...

From Wikipedia (which, by no means, is definitive), "David Rizzio, sometimes written as David Riccio or David Rizzo (c. 1533 – 9 March 1566), was an Italian courtier, born close to Turin, a descendant of an ancient and noble family still living in Piedmont, the Riccio Counts di San Paolo e Solbrito, who rose to become the private secretary of Mary, Queen of Scots. Mary's husband, Lord Darnley, is said to have been jealous of their friendship, because of rumours that he had impregnated Mary, and joined in a conspiracy of Protestant nobles, led by Patrick Ruthven, 3rd Lord Ruthven, to murder him. The murder was the catalyst for the downfall of Darnley, and it had serious consequences for Mary's subsequent career. Mary was having dinner with Riccio and a few ladies-in-waiting when Darnley joined them, accused his wife of adultery and then had someone murder Riccio, who was hiding behind Mary. Mary was held at gunpoint and Riccio was stabbed numerous times. His body had over 50 wounds."

• Love 1