Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: It's a Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt World

I have no idea how to begin to formulate a coherent response to this episode. So for now I'll just say that "You're denying paternity?!" is the funniest Matt Jamison line ever.

• Love 22

Of course Frasier was going to to take down a human.  He was Chekhov's gun.  Glad he went after "God."  I was worried about Matt for a few seconds.  Did not have the same flair as when Shiva did it on "The Walking Dead."

Oh the "Lost" flashbacks are coming on fast and hard for me.

HBO has to prostrate  itself in order to get nudity on it's shows.  They must be thrilled with this episode. 

Glad the male rape was avoided or wasn't completed.  I may never have recovered it the show went through with Matt impregnating the plastic lion.

The most important question is - What drug were the writers on?  They must be confiscated and treated as radioactive waste.

• Love 4

That was the strangest episode ever.  Seriously.  Wow, Matt had a truly terrible day, but at least he is at peace with his impending death.  In fact, he's so at peace that watching a man be attacked by a lion didn't phase him at all.  He was already disturbed.  Now he is batshit crazy. 

I am going to be parsing that episode for awhile.  Or maybe I'll just accept that our gang ends up on a sex cruise with a lion and non-hilarity ensures.

• Love 11

Another answer to "I'm 91 and having a son" is Biblical Sarah, continuing that theme.

Benito Martinez (Arturo) is the third cast member from this season's American Crime (after Regina King and Janel Moloney) also to appear on this season of The Leftovers.

I haven't yet watched all the way through so will be back with more shortly. 

• Love 3

I don't even know how to respond yet really....

The last ten minutes or so were incredible.

But why does every HBO series I watch seem to need to have an "Eyes Wide Shut"-esque orgy episode? I guess this was the one for The Leftovers. 

That's all I've got. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cardie said:

Another answer to "I'm 91 and having a son" is Biblical Sarah, continuing that theme.

Yes, Nora seems to have remembered enough of her Episcopalian upbringing to taken on childless Sarah as her avatar.

The scene between Matt and David Burton was stunning. Matt's child-like yearning, right through his grey beard. And his finding peace from the answers of someone he knows is not divine, yet, can be a vessel for revelation. (As with Holy Wayne; as with Laurie and John, even.) The lion spared Daniel the innocent, and savaged the murderous blasphemer. 

The tension between Matt and Laurie was not only that of a conflict between faith and psychology, but also deeply personal. It was Laurie's Guilty Remnant chapter that bought Matt's church in Mapleton, back in the day; Laurie (before Meg) who refused Matt's urging to come away from the Remnant and return to society; Laurie who was with Matt and Mary in the doctor's waiting room when Matt got his clean bill of health a few minutes before the Departure, and the car crash that left Mary comatose. So Laurie has reason to know what Matt means when he says that he is dying, and what it may mean to him to realize that Miracle didn't save him. While Matt -- along with everyone else, I'm guessing -- still doesn't know why Laurie was at the doctor on October 14th, or who she lost.  

• Love 9

Dave Burton and his resurrection, recaps have reminded me, have been referenced in the Leftovers since S2, and he appears twice in Kevin's afterlife experiences. They both seem to have defied death and are taken as divine by many but are also pretty much nutball jerks. The episode is an extreme iteration of the show's repeated explorations of the sick behaviors people gravitate to when they are looking to explain the mysteries of the universe. And also, Matt gets just the sort of God he deserves after using Him as a crutch to excuse his towering egocentrism. He may not live much longer but seems to have emerged from his delusions at last.

Just one of the little details Leftovers does so well: Matt delivers a low blow when he tells Laurie to get her whistle, but there are whistles all around him as he traverses the hellish ship. Also the full frontal shots of the insane French sailor rhymed with his response to end times by launching a phallic nuclear missile.

I really enjoyed the various sung passages from the Hebrew liturgy.

• Love 7
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Cardie said:

Also the full frontal shots of the insane French sailor rhymed with his response to end times by launching a phallic nuclear missile.

'Twas the first time I'd seen that oft-accused association about overcompensation made literally true.

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 2

And even David Burton was sporting a beard this season.  

John has quietly undergone the greatest transformation of all the characters. And received, by far, the greatest measure of forgiveness. John cast Matt out of Miracle, based on a calumny; this wrong was righted by a miracle, and Matt forgave John. John shot Kevin for telling the truth, and left him to bleed out alone on the floor of a kennel; this wrong was righted by a miracle, and Kevin forgave John. John drove away Michael's twin sister and his mother; no miracle righted this wrong, and Michael forgave John. John came home to no wife and daughter but accepted Kevin's offer to come over to his house, where John met Kevin's first wife Laurie and then married her. So why is there no Book of John?  

• Love 9

Seems like the whole episode was constructed so that they're on that orgy boat with the strange cast of characters.

First of all, a nut job who just happens to have access to a nuclear missile is deus ex machina by another name.

So they made what is a long but relatively routine voyage to Australia some kind of adventure or more like some spiritual journey.

From LAX to Sydney is 15 hours nonstop on a modern jet.  From Austin to Melbourne or diverting to Tasmania on an old prop cargo plane would be more like 20 hours?  That's assuming that thing can fly without touching down somewhere to refuel.

IOW, the flight is twice as long as that orgy boat trip, but of course, most of the episode takes place on the ferry.  Now that was the only ferry operating between Tasmania and Melbourne?  OK, it may be a private company but I would imagine it has to be licensed to operate on that route and I doubt it would risk its license to host an orgy on board, with a lion in tow.

So whatever, it's more plotting tricks by Lindelof to have some picaresque scenes.  Yes it's ostensibly about Matt's madness or faith or fanaticism.  It shows a side of his character.  But it's mostly a carnival act of meaningless scenery.

Ooh, nobody does mythology like Lindelof.  The emperor has no clothes.

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Pallas said:

So why is there no Book of John?

John is the beneficiary of miracles and a repentant sinner. When things get apocalyptic, everyone looks for performers of miracles and Messiahs, not prodigal sons.

• Love 6

So if I'm reading that right, Matt's not cured of his leukemia but his overwhelming need to please God? Whether Burton was God or not, doesn't really matter. He made Matt understand how pointless his mission was. 

I'm not sure we'll get any scenes outside of Australia now, but I'm hopeful for one last Matt/Mary reunion. 

• Love 4

Why oh why is this show becoming the dumbness piece of crap on TV? I..... can't even express how stupid I thought this episode was.  What will next week bring? Snake handlers? Biting the heads off chickens? Writers in a room throwing darts at a board of improbable plots?

I have to end it there... because.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

Why oh why is this show becoming the dumbness piece of crap on TV? I..... can't even express how stupid I thought this episode was.  What will next week bring? Snake handlers? Biting the heads off chickens? Writers in a room throwing darts at a board of improbable plots?

I have to end it there... because.

Lol I think the writers just read (or watched) American Gods by Neil Gaiman and said "we can do 1 better" :D :D :D

So if David Burton really believed that he was god, why did he run away from the lion ???

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

But why does every HBO series I watch seem to need to have an "Eyes Wide Shut"-esque orgy episode? I guess this was the one for The Leftovers. 

This particular orgy didn't remind me of the usual genre at all. It was very specific to this weird little world, centered around the desires of women, and entirely driven by the female gaze (directed by a woman, as it happens). It would be weird if these sorts of sex groups didn't pop up in this universe-nihilism manifests in different ways.

I thought this was another amazing, riveting hour of television. It was the final culmination of Matt's bitter, delusional quest to get answers from god. And I loved that Laurie was there for this and that her history with him and the GR was the subtext in every one of their arguments. I wonder how much John and Michael know about the past of this family they've gotten so tangled up with.

• Love 13
(edited)
6 hours ago, Pallas said:

John has quietly undergone the greatest transformation of all the characters. And received, by far, the greatest measure of forgiveness. John cast Matt out of Miracle, based on a calumny; this wrong was righted by a miracle, and Matt forgave John. John shot Kevin for telling the truth, and left him to bleed out alone on the floor of a kennel; this wrong was righted by a miracle, and Kevin forgave John. John drove away Michael's twin sister and his mother; no miracle righted this wrong, and Michael forgave John. John came home to no wife and daughter but accepted Kevin's offer to come over to his house, where John met Kevin's first wife Laurie and then married her. So why is there no Book of John?  

I have a very very hard time with this story line.  This story line pisses me off to no end.  John was a horrible, abusive human being, but once he lost his black wife and married his white wife - he was a completely changed human being.  And tonight's episode brought up that it was his relationship to Laurie that "saved" him.

He had lost a child, no way should he be at peace.

Also - it is only white men who are being reincarnated and thought of as divine.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 3

I have a very very hard time with this story line.  This story line pisses me off to no end.  John was a horrible, abusive human being, but once he lost his black wife and married his white wife - he was a completely changed human being.  And tonight's episode brought up that it was his relationship to Laurie that "saved" him.

Also - it is only white men who are being reincarnated and thought of as divine.

I never thought of it that way, but to be honest, my money has been on Michael to be the truly divine one. I've been like: Kevin, eh, but Michael seems like a genuinely good person.

• Love 11
(edited)
24 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

I never thought of it that way, but to be honest, my money has been on Michael to be the truly divine one. I've been like: Kevin, eh, but Michael seems like a genuinely good person.

OMG, Michael is going to die at the end of the series isn't he? If John = Abraham and Michael = Isaac, Michael is going to be the sacrificed to prevent whatever thing happening on the 7th anniversary.   

1 hour ago, Macbeth said:

Seriously, the thing that worried me is Laurie's track record is not that good.  She followed her patient to joined the GR.  That 1 ex GR patient she tried to help killed herself and her family.  Nobody knew what happened to the GR group she tried to help.  Then we knew what happened to Kevin.  

John is like a ticking time bomb waiting to blow up.

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Pallas said:

And even David Burton was sporting a beard this season.  

John has quietly undergone the greatest transformation of all the characters. And received, by far, the greatest measure of forgiveness. <snipped for length.> So why is there no Book of John?  

The Book of John has already been claimed and used; fourth book in the New Testament. But there are some good similarities to be made. I have to run out and do some early morning errands, but I'll come back to this.

For the record: I loved this episode.

• Love 3

Between this show and American Gods, Game of Thrones is really going to have to up its male full frontal nudity quotient in its upcoming season if they want to stay competitive in that arena.

And just like that Matt lost his faith? Was the red hat guy supposed to be Satan or just another nutbag? And why did they release the lion? I'm so confused.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

And just like that Matt lost his faith? Was the red hat guy supposed to be Satan or just another nutbag?

The Red Hat guy had the hopes of others pinned on him after he seemed to come back from the dead. Finally he decided to play the God card (literally) to troll the heck out of folks and then to do and say whatever he felt like, because God. And yet, everything he said about Matt was perceptive and true; this bucket of cold water snapped Matt out of his obsession with finding meaning in the randomness of life and made him realize just how desperate he was to hope that someone like this was God. It's like his sister's desperation to go through the physicists' machine, then having them tell her she's not worthy.

• Love 13

I like this show but I know that I'm not going to get anywhere trying to figure it out. I'm sure there are biblical references that I don't get and if there is anything that was brought up in an earlier season I definitely won't remember since it was 2-3 years ago.

It was an episode full of weird imagery and encounters. Was that guy really God? Is Matt healed and just doesn't believe it yet? Why did no one care that a man went overboard? Why must HBO force me to watch orgy's? Will something in this episode be important and relevant within the last 3 episodes?

Matt is an interesting character. Religious but also very flawed. As a Matt episode goes, I enjoyed it.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Macbeth said:

This main issue these characters face isn't whether they are fixed or at peace, but whether they are better than before. On one hand, Kevin wasn't really healed by his journey to the afterlife and neither was Nora after her magic hug. But on the other hand, Laurie did manage work her way out from the GR, and John isn't angry any-more. He likely is never going to get over losing Evie and probably not truly at peace (I don't many many people are) but he is certainly better than before.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, quangtran said:

This main issue these characters face isn't whether they are fixed or at peace, but whether they are better than before. On one hand, Kevin wasn't really healed by his journey to the afterlife and neither was Nora after her magic hug. But on the other hand, Laurie did manage work her way out from the GR, and John isn't angry any-more. He likely is never going to get over losing Evie and probably not truly at peace (I don't many many people are) but he is certainly better than before.

Technically John believed Evie was still alive and was just pulling another disappearance trick.  His 1st wife / Evie's mom believed she was dead.

This was partly why I thought John is just a bomb waiting to explode.

• Love 4
(edited)

Christopher Ecclestone is wonderful as Matt but if he couldn't say Laurie as "Laurie" (he keeps saying it as "Lah-ree") then they really should have just had him refer to her in another way. The word "daughter" is also his downfall re Yank accent slippage. "Dog," "coffee" and "office" are usually the ones which often (yes, that word, too!) trip British actors up time after time.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Macbeth said:

SO MUCH THIS.^^^ 

2 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Technically John believed Evie was still alive and was just pulling another disappearance trick.  His 1st wife / Evie's mom believed she was dead.

This was partly why I thought John is just a bomb waiting to explode.

I agree. I found myself at times last night almost wishing John would pull a return to season 2 when he was driving out people who claimed to have divine powers/links and push David Burton or maybe even Matt overboard. And since Laurie bugs, I was kinda hoping when she revealed Kevin had seen Evie that he'd push her overboard, too. 

I don't think John is as "saved" as we think. We'll see.

• Love 3

This show is so weird...

I'm not sure I'd say John's doing better now, with or without a white wife. I agree that he's a bomb waiting to explode. I don't know if we'll get to see what happens to him after the seventh anniversary, but if lifes goes on as usual, his reaction might be unpredictable. 

Matt has the worst luck in the world! And yes, he's a narcissist, but I also think his faith is real. He just needs to understand, as Michael (I think) told him, that they aren't in control. I just realized his conversation with "God" reminded me a bit of Ben's conversation with Jacob in Lost. There are some parallels between the characters. Both of them are believers who need to feel special.  Chosen. And now Matt's sick, just like Ben fell ill in spite of the Island's protection.  I'm not saying they're the same character, far from it, but I saw something of Ben Linus in Matt, in this episode. 

Anyway, I think John and Michael are right. If Kevin is the person they think he is, his fate is already written and whatever it has to happen, it'll happen. Plans are useless. Their egos aren't important. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't know what to think about this episode. I liked parts of it a lot - the discussions between the four of them, and then the discussion with "God." The orgy, while kind of fun, seemed a bit pointless to me. Though I suppose that hedonism juxtaposed with Matt's religious passion does make a point. Especially at the end.

I was amused by Matt's disbelief that this guy was God. He believed Kevin was Jesus for a similar reason - then this guy up and one-ups him. Bitching to him that "God" stole his son's story was pretty funny to me as well.

I don't have a strong foundation on the biblical, but I see that Reza Aslan is a consulting producer on this episode (and has been on six others), so the writers certainly have someone with an impeccable foundation giving them tips. I'm willing to roll with it - especially since some of you generously explain some of the murkier bits.

Real or not (given that he was killed by a lion, probably not) I liked that Matt's discussion with "God" seemed to cure him of his monomania.

BTW - kudos to you who figured out Matt was sick again back in Crazy Whitefella Thinking.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
(edited)

...I cant say I imagined I would see Matt almost get gang raped by a bunch of demented furries, even on this show, but here we are I guess. I swear if I lived in the Leftovers universe, I would spend all my time checking my drinks for drugs, because even the most basic conversations you can have with people take so many weird turns so quickly, I feel like I would feel all kinds of high, at all times.

I like Matt, so I was glad to get a Matt episode, after he's been gone for awhile. He can be rather self centered and his obsessions get really irritating, but his faith is so honest and true, I think its very understandable and even sympathetic. He has been desperate since the Departure for some kind of reason for everything that's happened, and now I think its hitting him that maybe there isn't. I am super glad he made a break for it when the crazy lion worshippers were about to impregnate (?) him or whatever horror was in store, even if it didn't lead to anything much better. They could have just called this episode Matt and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.

I also liked he and Laurie and their arguments/discussions. You can tell there is history there, but that they don't talk on their own very much, so when they do, stuff starts coming up, especially when they're talking about Kevin, who they are both invested in. It seems like he has made peace with his upcoming death, but is he at peace, broken, or crazy? Or all three?

I knew that Lion was going to get someone, and I hoped it would be "God", and low and behold! Its like Shira the Tiger from The Walking Dead. Chekovs cat I guess.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Nobody ever has a bad day like Matt. EVER. I had flashbacks to last years bad day Matt episode and seriously, this man has really really really bad days.

This episode in particular emphasized how he brings it on himself. Well, not the cancer, but probably everything else.

Can someone tell what the context was in which we saw the page from the book of Daniel, specifically about the lion's den? I don't recall.

• Love 3

It would have been a little more helpful if we got some explanation as to why the naked sailor decided to launch a nuke.  Did he explode the nuke inside the sub or did he launch it against a target ?  How close was the explosion to a populated location such that someone was able to get a video recording of it ?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It would have been a little more helpful if we got some explanation as to why the naked sailor decided to launch a nuke.  Did he explode the nuke inside the sub or did he launch it against a target ?  How close was the explosion to a populated location such that someone was able to get a video recording of it ?

Because male full frontal ;)

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It would have been a little more helpful if we got some explanation as to why the naked sailor decided to launch a nuke. 

This was the translation of what he said during the opening credits, according to someone on Reddit:

"I'm the only hope
The last defense of a species about to go extinct
The 'warlocks' warned us
These clairvoyant sages saw the truth
They said the creatures would come 7 years after the first ones were taken
7 years after the departure
We were blind of the gods
We are now on the edge of the ravine
On the edge of destruction
When this monster is born we are done for
Because this monster will be born to end us
7 heads and 7 flaming mouths
We have one last hope, the egg
From the warlock maps I found it
Hidden in a nest, in a volcano in the sea
Thank god for the technologie
The nuclear weapon
To break the fragile shell and melt the demons inside
God, may this missile fly straight and find the nest in the volcano
And hopefully this egg wouldn't have hatched yet, and let it destroy it before it destroys the world."

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 9

So, Matt was warned that "something" was going to happen at the dock, and he decides to heed this advice and wait on the boat (despite the pressing concern of Kevin), but with a front row seat to all the potential mayhem and not a word of it to the Captain or his friends. I guess that's his new outlook after his convo with God.

And, relatedly, since he saw the "blasphemer" (and also murderer) get divine retribution in the form of a lion attack, shouldn't that restore some of his previously lost faith? Surely, Michael and maybe John might be more in awe of Matt's preacher skills now.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Yeah, the show's not that great on explanations. Wait a minute, I was thinking of the question as to why the guy was naked, not the reason for the nuke - but there's been so much other bat shit crazy apocalyptic stuff I didn't think they even had one, but I guess the lyrics (thanks @Blakeston) reveal another layer.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Yeah, the show's not that great on explanations. Wait a minute, I was thinking of the question as to why the guy was naked, not the reason for the nuke - but there's been so much other bat shit crazy apocalyptic stuff I didn't think they even had one, but I guess the lyrics (thanks @Blakeston) reveal another layer.

Maybe they wanted to make a statement about how nudity is not necessarily sexual (in contrast to the orgy scenes.)
At first I thought the naked bomber was naked to avoid leaving evidence, but then I figured it was because of religious custom when acting as a suicide bomber for the cause.

• Love 2
On 5/15/2017 at 7:36 AM, WaltersHair said:

I never thought of it that way, but to be honest, my money has been on Michael to be the truly divine one.

Agreed.  Michael loves people, and the world, as they are. He doesn't need a reason.

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Can someone tell what the context was in which we saw the page from the book of Daniel, specifically about the lion's den? I don't recall.

Matt was reading the Bible on the plane, with his light held on the passage about how the lion spared Daniel because Daniel was innocent -- then Matt's nose began to bleed. I'm pretty sure the nosebleeds only started after Mary left with Noah, or she'd have been on it at once. And in fact, Matt may be wrong that this is the recurrence of his leukemia. In kids especially, nosebleeds are often caused by anxiety -- specifically, anxiety about abandonment. Though Matt might rather have leukemia than admit he feels abandoned, not only by Mary but by God.

Everyone's looking. On the TV at Arturo's house, in the coverage of the atomic blast, the newscaster said (paraphrasing), "Despite widespread international demand, no one will reveal the name of the individual who caused such loss..." 

• Love 2

Christopher Ecclestone is wonderful as Matt but if he couldn't say Laurie as "Laurie" (he keeps saying it as "Lah-ree") then they really should have just had him refer to her in another way. The word "daughter" is also his downfall re Yank accent slippage. "Dog," "coffee" and "office" are usually the ones which often (yes, that word, too!) trip British actors up time after time

Ha. When he said Tasmania with a hard R at the end, I knew it was a slip. Otherwise, he's done better than I expected.

• Love 3
(edited)

I've been racking my brain trying to remember where I've seen that man-surrounded-by-people-trying-to get-his-semen before. Finally remembered it on a long flight. The Island starring Michael Caine.  I'd totally recommend it, though it's probably really dated. Michael, if memory serves, didn't put up much of a fight and he wasn't confronted with a neon, glowing horn a plenty condom either. I think it was the first R movie I ever saw back when an R was a big deal.

They also blew the budget on merkins and prosthetics.  Rewatched just to make sure I still hated it. Still do.

Edited by WaltersHair
17 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I assumed he was naked because clothing would have prevented him from stretching so ridiculously far.

And the easiest answer is usually the correct one.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I've been racking my brain trying to remember where I've seen that man-surrounded-by-people-trying-to get-his-semen before. Finally remembered it on a long flight. The Island starring Michael Caine.  I'd totally recommend it, though it's probably really dated. Michael, if memory serves, didn't put up much of a fight and he wasn't confronted with a neon, glowing horn a plenty condom either. I think it was the first R movie I ever saw back when an R was a big deal.

They also blew the budget on merkins and prosthetics.  Rewatched just to make sure I still hated it. Still do.

There's also A Boy and His Dog which predates the Island by about 5 years. It's somewhat different, but has some of the same...thrust. It's currently on Netflix or Amazon (I was going through both of them, so I forget which.

• Love 2
On 5/15/2017 at 3:30 PM, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I agree. I found myself at times last night almost wishing John would pull a return to season 2 when he was driving out people who claimed to have divine powers/links and push David Burton or maybe even Matt overboard. And since Laurie bugs, I was kinda hoping when she revealed Kevin had seen Evie that he'd push her overboard, too. 

But Laurie knows that Kevin didn't really see Evie - he sent her a picture he had taken of the woman.  It was one of the ways she knew he was psychotic.

And, on one of the TV shots, you can see the nuke coming up out of the ocean.  I'm sure we will find out where it landed.

I hope that the anniversary comes and nothing happens.  They didn't get some magic warning about the first disappearance, it's mass psychosis for everyone to be so fixated on the seventh anniversary.  I thought that was kind of the point about Australia - it wasn't the same date there.

You need mystery in the world.

• Love 3

So the girl that warned Matt to wait until everyone was off the boat and her friends were plotting all along to release the lion?  I thought that the other people were mad at Matt and were going to attack him, and she was warning him or something. 

But, then the police shot him right?  RIP Frasier Jr.

Like many of the episodes this season, I felt like I had no idea what was going on but I totally loved it anyway.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, meep.meep said:

But Laurie knows that Kevin didn't really see Evie - he sent her a picture he had taken of the woman.  It was one of the ways she knew he was psychotic.

And this was my only complaint about the episode.  Why didn't Laurie pull out her phone and showed them the picture?

• Love 6