Type keyword(s) to search

Great News - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just caught this show for the first time last night.  Loved Carol...she is a hoot.  The whole cast seems to interact really well together, and even though I loathe Nicole Ritchie, she does well in this role.  I am thinking a binge watch is in order! 

I was afraid, when "Sensitivity Training" started, that the episode would take by-now tired potshots at "safe spaces" and "triggers." Turns out the show targeted people who refuse to understand the very legitimate gripes behind such rhetoric, showed them coming around, and did it all in utterly hilarious and in-character ways. I would like to take this as Tracy Whigfield's -- or at least ep writer Dan Klein's -- gentle rebuke of mentor Tina Fey, or perhaps Fey's own turnaround. It was funny that the ep did not feature Horatio Sanz, the show's chief minority star, though. (I mean, other than half-black Nicole Richie, of course. Heeee.)

Edited by Corgi-ears

There was so much funny stuff in this most recent episode- Katie's on-line boyfriend being Pennywise from IT (lol); the Carrie Underwood-esque music video with Portia, hilarious lines from Chuck like "Well, well, well, as Baby Jessica said when she was having a nightmare...", and him worrying that he was being followed by Jigsaw. 

I noticed the writer on this one was Robert Carlock, who was a big shaper of the style of humor on 30 Rock and also created Kimmy Schmidt with Tina Fey. There is a great JPM (jokes per minute) average with this show that reminds me a lot of 30 Rock.

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

Nice seeing Jayma Mays as Cat, Greg's girlfriend. For those that don't know, she is Adam Campbell's wife in real life.

Ahh cool I did not know that!

That was a very funny episode. I wish this show had better ratings, and got more love in general. The characters are great and the writing is very clever.  The fact that a good show like this could possibly be cancelled - while consistently mediocre shows like The Big Bang Theory or even (sad to say) Modern Family stretch on forever - gives me the sads.

• Love 3

My PVR had 3 episodes and I watched them back to back.

One funny line that stood out for me was when Chuck was receiving death threats and he complained to Portia that they made the note with letters that they had cut out of the Font magazine they stole from his house.

For the Christmas episode,  the most horrible thing to Carol was that Katie was visiting the inlaws instead if her and that she was Nana instead of Grandma. 

• Love 2

I love this show, and the cast is great.  Nicole Ritchie is an MVP here.  She has chemistry with everybody. 

This show should focus on other relationships aside from the mother-daughter one.  E.g., Justin and Chuck, Portia and Chuck, etc. 

It's also pushing hard the Greg-Katie romantic relationship.  I don't mind, but keep it in the background.  I'm not 100% Team Katie because Cat has fantastic chemistry with Greg.  They kinda look alike.  It's not surprising that they're married in real life.  Sorry, Carol. 

• Love 1

One funny line that stood out for me was when Chuck was receiving death threats and he complained to Portia that they made the note with letters that they had cut out of the Font magazine they stole from his house.

I loved this line too.  Also love where he mentioned that someone had his CVS Special Reward Card and was getting all the extra long receipts.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, spaulding said:

I love this show, and the cast is great.  Nicole Ritchie is an MVP here.  She has chemistry with everybody. 

It blows my mind every episode. I can't believe the other woman from that Paris Hilton reality show can act and is actually funny and has solid comic timing. She also gets great lines every episode. During the pilot I really thought it would just be a redo of the Jenna character from 30 Rock, but Portia is a completely different original character.

I knew someone with IBS and it doesn't make you vomit, it gives you trouble on the other end - which of course they couldn't show on tv. But it was kind of gross with Katie vomiting and then Greg kissing her. The french braid was funny though.

So many plumbers for the heist.

Interesting to see if Carol does go to Morning Wined Up.

• Love 2
On 1/13/2018 at 11:08 PM, AEMom said:

I knew someone with IBS and it doesn't make you vomit, it gives you trouble on the other end - which of course they couldn't show on tv. But it was kind of gross with Katie vomiting and then Greg kissing her. The french braid was funny though.

So many plumbers for the heist.

Interesting to see if Carol does go to Morning Wined Up.

Agree that IBS is on "the other end" but she was chugging milk.  Chugging milk = the upchucks (and can kill you if you chug too much). 

I bailed on Season 2 early on, because the ratings situation seemed so hopeless. But I ended up watching all the episodes. I'll miss having Andrea Martin and John Michael Higgins on my tv every week.  Fare thee well, Great News.

I hope that there is some way that Great News makes it to Season Three because I enjoy it and I rarely watch comedies. If it doesn't, the Season Two finale was a fitting windup.  I will miss Chuck and Portia.