Type keyword(s) to search

Great News - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Carol has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's wealthy estranged grandmother pays a visit to the office. Chuck finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.

Katie makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.

9 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

carol is the best part of this show and i never thought id say it but Nicole Richie is really growing on me

I was just going to post about how much I enjoy Richie as the Portia character.  Nicole guest starred in two episodes of Chuck several years ago, and I really like her in that role too.  The Portia character is a nice mix of snarky, but friendly and helpful in her own way, and although she is sometimes pretty clueless about certain things, she's also intelligent and knowledgeable about others.  She's kind of a delightful narcissist who's fun to watch, and Nicole Ritchie seems like she's having a blast playing her.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

carol is the best part of this show and i never thought id say it but Nicole Richie is really growing on me

Really? I love everything about the show except Carol :) She annoys me to no end!

I've liked the show since the start, but I think it really won me over when it started tying episodes together with all the little callbacks, and eventually an actual plot to the season. Hopefully they keep that up in S2!

Gene doing Chuck Pierce's voice was hilarious. And then getting all the credit for the scheme! 

• Love 3

Really curious how this show is perceived by NBC. They played the 10 episode first season all as back-to-back episodes and quickly renewed it for a 13 episode season 2. The ratings weren't phenomenal, though they did manage to play most of the season during sweeps month.

Usually when a show gets a 10 episode order to start, then they pick up 13 more episodes they play it as the continuation of season 1. Maybe the weird/late April start for the show, and the trend toward shorter seasons has changed things.

It looks like S2 will air in the fall though, which means we'll probably get 8-9 weeks of episodes, an annoyingly long  8-9 week holiday "break" where we can forget everything that happened, then the final 4-5 episodes airing in January. (a la The Good Place)

5 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

how can you not love carol?

Her humor is far too broad for me. She doesn't fit with the show at all in my eyes. I wish it was a show without her, honestly. More Portia!

• Love 2

If you can, try to pause the show when Chuck is standing in front of the "board" of upcoming news topics- they're all funny, one was "Thomas Jefferson: Chinese? One Historian Says No" and another one was "Breakdown Proofraeder Fired" or something similar :)

• Love 2
On 5/26/2017 at 10:03 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

how can you not love carol? i dont think the lead should be her daughter in this show shes the only one that i find myself bored with

I find her rather irritating, and the "redeeming" moment she gets every episode is never earned. Her character seems to follow a classic sitcom routine - lovable but wacky character messes up something big every episode, but always manages to pull together so things work out for the happy ending.

The rest of the show is more satirical or farcical, with quick, witty banter and biting humor.

Both types of show are fine, and I've certainly enjoyed my fair share of both, but I don't think they are meshing well here.

Carol is getting in the way of the satire I want, and everyone else is getting in the way of the Carol show that you want :)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Phishbulb said:

If you can, try to pause the show when Chuck is standing in front of the "board" of upcoming news topics- they're all funny, one was "Thomas Jefferson: Chinese? One Historian Says No" and another one was "Breakdown Proofraeder Fired" or something similar :)

I couldn't get a clear screenshot, but I think I managed to read them all.

• Really old rock found
  • John Mark Karr to Host SNL
  • First Yeti Congressman
  • Do the Curtains Match the... Vapes?
  • Almondgate Fallout
  • MMN Proofraeder Dead
  • Murder at Spoooky Barn
  • Plane Crashes Wedding
  • Thomas Jefferson Chinese? Historians Say No
  • Hands: The New Feet
  • Love 4
(edited)

The whole cataract sequence was just too funny for me - I had cataract surgery done a year ago, and since I'm blind in one eye and the surgery was done on my good eye, I was given a clear patch to wear. I'm pretty sure that Chuck should've gotten clear patches to wear on his eyes instead of the big white ones.

I was really woozy and out of it on the first day after the surgery; no one coudl I have gone in to work. But Chuck shouldnt have been blind without those patches - youre eyesight is tremendously improved after cataract surgery, better than ever before.

Chuck really does not have ANYONE to help him through a surgery? a sister? a friend? an ex? SOMEONE?

I was laughing through all the different people pitching their hilarious ideas for the show.

"All the villains have British accents. Even the Nazis. How is that fair?"

Carol's A-team voice oiver cracked me up too.

Chuck imploding at the end had me wetting my pants.

Edited by Big Mother
  • Love 1

I really like this show the writing is improving at a crazy good rate. The serious hustle was hilarious. That said i realized that the main reason i know Andrea Martin is all the voice work she does for Sesame Street, usually during the Elmo's World segment my kids used to love. And it is kind of bugging me.

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

You should watch some SCTV to really appreciate her brilliance.  Or My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

I'm not saying she's not talented (although i have never really watched SCTV, which is probably grounds for forfeiting my Canadian passport), it's just everytime i hear her voice i hear the announcer lady from Elmo's tv.

13 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I sampled the show since it was on after Will and Grace, but not my cup of tea.  Too over the top for me.  Though who knew Nicole Ritchie was acting lol

I am really on the cusp with this show. It's just funny enough to keep me coming back, and just derivative enough to make me wonder why.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 4

I was pleasantly surprised by this show in the first season, but I don't feel like this episode really lived up to its full potential. Part of that I think wasn't entirely the show's fault - it had a lot of ground to recover after the very strained Will & Grace premier; I think the zany surrealism of Great News would be a much more natural pairing with the carefully constructed "reality" of The Good Place than with any show set in the actual world.

Mostly, though, I don't think that Tina Fey's character is really necessary at this particular point. We're still just getting to know these characters and how they relate to each other. Having them suddenly have to react to this new element isn't that interesting, because it hasn't really been fully established how they react to their 'normal', every day situations. On the other hand, I did think Fey's scene with Carol was an episode highlight - her humor and timing fit in very well with this world.

I also didn't really care for Nicole Ritchie's character trying to help Michael Higgins Clark's character. I think Ritchie is fantastic on this show, actually - she is a surprisingly talented comedic actress. But somehow that story for me veered uncomfortably from "today's 'news' is harming our country" to "let's make sure older white guys are comfortable with change."  Modern Family is already telling that story, and I'm not more likely to watch it on NBC than ABC. 

So not an auspicious start to the new season. Hopefully it will right itself over the next few episodes. 

I was surprised to see Tina Fey as part of the cast this season (I know that she was always an executive producer).

I do like this show and it will nice to see how the show unfolds with Fey as part of the cast.

I didn't particularly like it either, but I wasn't sure if it was because I watched Will & Grace before it, which was pretty awful, and I thought that may have made me dislike this show more than I otherwise would have.  I've been meaning to go back and watch this episode again before I delete it. 

I wasn't sure what to make of Tina Fey's character.  It seemed like she really took over the whole show, and I wasn't on board for the Tina Fey Show.  Was it more slapstick-y and manic than usual?

• Love 1

I thought last week was a pilot, but apparently this was a show last season? I was confused about the Brit and the daughter having kissed. Anyways, last week was not very good. But this episode was good. I laughed a lot when the daughter figured out the Brit was calling her mom.

This weeks episode had me in stitches. First - Chris Parnell always makes everything better. I loved the feud with Dianna & Portia - Tina and Nicole played off each other really well.

The music video had me dying- especially when Chuck joined in.  

I like the Katie & Greg interactions.  

It is a fun, silly little show.

• Love 2

This sho is lucky to be on NBC...which losing over half of Will and graces lead in 2 weeks in a row, plus having chicago fire regaining most of the lapsed viewers would have resulted in quick death 9n other networks.

It's not a horrible show, but it just isn't funny.  I think NBC needs to present less niche driven sitcoms and stop with presenting shows that play like a 20 minute SNL skit.  Send this to netflix.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2017 at 7:38 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I think NBC needs to present less niche driven sitcoms

They tried. And failed miserably. Anyone remember "Whitney"? "Up All Night"? "A to Z"?

I find "Great News" to be amusing, but forgettable. And with the current ratings, I don't see it making it to Season 3.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, swimmyfish said:

Man. I know they can't control the news cycle, but this was maybe not the best week to air an episode where real sexual harassment turns out to be all in service of a retirement payout.

I actually thought it still worked given current events. It used satire to criticize the absurdity of paying men millions of dollars to go away after bad behavior. 

• Love 13
14 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I actually thought it still worked given current events. It used satire to criticize the absurdity of paying men millions of dollars to go away after bad behavior. 

Also brought up the ridiculous justifications and defense of such behavior. She was doing the harassing but the other women did not believe the men, exactly how it happens in the reverse. I thought it was very timely and appropriate 

• Love 7

Sort of a nitpick, but it was weird how they mentioned at the beginning of the show buying a cake at a supermarket that in reality has been out of business for the last two years.

Edited by Rickster

I thought that It was hilarious and ridiculous when Carol was trying to get the balloon down.

Then they sent her into Tina Fey's office in Portia's outfit to try and prompt harassment.

• Love 1
On 10/1/2017 at 8:46 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Tina Fey's wardrobe was fantastic!

And Katie looked great in the gown at the awards show.

Nicole Richie has some great outfits, too 

I guess I like the stylists for this show?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

Chuck's demand for RC Cola only had me in stitches (mainly because I love RC)

Portia having a different dress every scene and calling out Kanye was amazing!

I wish that they would even Carol out a little bit more.  With everything they show about her - I don't blame Katie one bit for freaking out and still empathize more with her.

I like the casting for the guests. 

• Love 1

If you like Andrea Martin in this and you have Hulu, she plays a different version of an overbearing mother in Difficult People. And her husband is referred to but never shown there, too. Tina Fey was also in one episode from an earlier season (the seasons are short.)

How am I just discovering this show?? Caught last nights episode and loved it! The leading girl is looking like a cross of Liz Lemon and Kimmy Scmidt- she's great. And who knew Nicole Ritchie could be funny and a decent actress?? 

Looking forward to catching up with the rest of season 2 on Hulu (hoping they put season 1 on at some point as well)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

How am I just discovering this show?? Caught last nights episode and loved it! The leading girl is looking like a cross of Liz Lemon and Kimmy Scmidt- she's great. And who knew Nicole Ritchie could be funny and a decent actress?? 

Looking forward to catching up with the rest of season 2 on Hulu (hoping they put season 1 on at some point as well)

Can you watch the past episodes on NBC.com?