Type keyword(s) to search

Shocking! Black Lightning in the News

• Start Topic

I don't know if a number had been reported elsewhere before (maybe I missed it), but Deadline mentions that Black Lightning has 16 episodes for Season 2:

Because the CW has been growing its slate of original series over the past few years, the network has been playing with size of the orders. Half of its fall shows will not produce traditional 22-episode seasons. The list includes Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning, both doing 16 episodes. The CW will need the room as it has five series on deck for midseason.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/charmed-legacies-all-american-more-episodes-back-orders-full-season-the-cw-1202498491/

Edited by Trini
added link
6 minutes ago, Trini said:

Yay! Lightning looks great. They gave a her a cute mask! I'm assuming the thing on her back is a battery pack because her suit lights up. No stealth for the Pierces!

She is a living battery, does she need a battery pack? lol.

But I LOVE the costume, especially the mask, it looks good and is one of my faves of the CW-super shows. I really wish whoever does their costumes would start doing the Arrowverse costumes. 

• Love 1

Things haven't changed at Black Lightning (yet?), but Akil's other show is cancelled.

Sources tell Variety that Warner Bros. Television, which produces “Love Is ___,” has completed an inquiry triggered by the lawsuit and found no allegations of misconduct on the OWN series or “Black Lightning,” the CW superhero drama that Salim Akil also exec produces. Production on “Black Lightning” has continued uninterrupted, with Akil remaining in place as showrunner.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/salim-akil-and-mara-brock-akils-love-is-___-canceled-by-own-following-abuse-claim-1203093343/

Nafessa Williams interview with a few teases for the rest of Season 2: https://www.newsarama.com/43366-black-lightning-nafessa-williams-thunder-cw-dc-cw-crisis-on-infinite-earths.html

Newsarama: Nafessa, what can you tease us about the next half of Black Lightning’s season?

Nafessa Williams: I’ll say my character is going through a lot personally, a lot is changing with her and Grace. So without giving too much we build on the storyline with Grace a bit, and we will discover some really cool things about her.

Interview with Chantal Thuy at DC: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/02/04/grace-under-pressure-is-chantal-thuy-black-lightnings-next-hero

Prior to being cast, I did not know much about either Black Lightning or Grace. But when I was going through the auditioning process, I read a lot about Black Lightning and his world. That’s when I discovered Grace, and that she was one of the first, or maybe the only bisexual Asian-American superhero. I read about Judd [Winick] and his whole story. What I tell people is that when I first auditioned for it, there were so very few Asian-American superheroes out there, particularly female ones, that I thought I’d never land one. Not in my lifetime! But then I got the job and it was just so amazing and surreal.

My comic book experience has included reading things when I was growing up, but it was mainly watching things like Sailor Moon and getting into the Marvel movie universe—all the different franchises.

Grace has been experiencing some pretty odd episodes lately. What can you tell us about those?

Well, I can reveal that the story will develop and those questions will start getting answered. It obviously has to do with… Well, let’s just say it’s a similar framework as the comic, but made different.

Will we be learning more soon, or can we expect answers to be slow and gradual in coming?

I think Black Lightning as a show is telling a lot of story, so I have a feeling it’ll be developmental.

Black Lighting stars at Paley NY: https://www.paleycenter.org/2019-black-lightning

An Electrifying Black Lightning Conversation on Good vs. Evil

Monday, February 11, 2019
6:30 pm ET
New York

Cress Williams, "Black Lightning"
Marvin "Krondon" Jones III, "Tobias Whale"

The CW’s critically acclaimed Black Lightning understands that a superhero’s story is only as good as its villain—and with the cold, ruthless, calculating Tobias Whale in the mix, this smart, relevant series has achieved must-watch status. Join Cress Williams, who stars as the superhero Black Lightning, and Marvin Jones III, who portrays the complicated villain Tobias Whale, for a discussion of the show and their characters, heroism and villainy, good vs. evil—and the very thin line that can separate the two.

This event is part of the Paley Center’s multifaceted Black History Month celebration, Shaping Our Nation’s Story: African-American Achievements in Television Presented by Citi.

• Love 1

Two NAACP Image Award nominations for Black Lightning!

Outstanding Guest Performance in a Comedy or Drama Series

Erika Alexander – Black Lightning – Book of Consequences: Chapter Three: Master Lowery (CW)
Kendrick Lamar – Power – Happy Birthday (Starz)
Kerry Washington – How to Get Away with Murder – Lahey v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (ABC)
Loretta Devine – Love Is_ – Rose (Going Home) (OWN)
Tisha Campbell-Martin – Empire – Without Apology (Fox)

Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series

Janine Sherman Barrois – Claws” – Cracker Casserole (TNT)
Kay Oyegun This Is Us – This Big, Amazing, Beautiful Life (NBC)
Lena Waithe – The Chi – Pilot (Showtime)
Patrick Joseph Charles – Black Lightning – Sins of the Father: The Book of Redemption (The CW/Netflix)
Lena Waithe, Dime Davis, – The Chi – The Whistle (Showtime)

https://deadline.com/2019/02/naacp-image-awards-2019-nominees-list-film-tv-music-books-black-panther-1202556258/

(edited)

CW Fall premiere dates. Black Lightning Season 3 premieres on October 21st, two weeks after most of the other shows.

MONDAY, OCTOBER 21
8:00-9:00pm ALL AMERICAN (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00pm BLACK LIGHTNING (Season Premiere)

I'm thinking that they will split the season 8/8; assuming that there are 16 episodes for Season 3.

Edited by Trini