Type keyword(s) to search

Season 13 Spoilers, Speculation and Anticipation

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yep. He'll be back in episode 11 :). 

Glass half full, Annber!

27 minutes ago, normasm said:

Need moar fanfic, JMO....

Sadly, I'm back to work today.  Fanfic will seep out slowly. 

• Love 2

I can't speak to "Sherlock" fic, as I'm not in that fandom, but yes, there's definitely lots of good "Criminal Minds" fics and writers out there :). We do have a fanfiction thread here in the 'Fun & Games' section, if you want to poke around through there. And I'm sure many here would be happy to share recommendations and whatnot, too. 

• Love 2

Another Reidless episode ??!! That's so unfair !! 

What's the saying: distance makes the heart grow fonder ?? In this case fonder is impatient, I can't wait till next week!!

• Love 7

We've already had several preemptions in the fall, then Reidless episodes, now a preempted month of February (Annber is correct re: Olympics) and the likelihood of more Reidless episodes, and I feel like I'm still waiting for Season 13 to start, even more so because of the 'barely there' nod to Reid's ordeal last year.

• Love 7
(edited)

In light of what happened in "The Cure", I think it's pertinent to ask:

1. What's going to happen to Emily Prentiss?
  2. Who is Linda Barnes and what are her motives?
  3. How will JJ do as BAU Chief?

In response to No. 1, I can't see anything happening to Prentiss other than she's going to spend the next few episodes clearing her name before she gets back on to the perch of her team. Which is why I wish this had been a season-ending episode so that we could have some actual mystery about her fate.

Although there could be plenty of drama with Prentiss being on the team with several marks in her file, the show just has to play it right.

With regards to No. 2, I understand Barnes, played by Supernatural's Kim Rhodes (though I bet most of you already knew that :P) was in Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders, and we already know via Matt Simmons that Barnes played a role in dismantling that team. Is she trying to dismantle the BAU?

Well, considering we don't know if this is the final season, I could place a very good bet on that.

On to No. 3...it seemed that JJ was apprehensive about being named Unit Chief, and JJ hasn't always been the most confident of characters lately. That could be due to her ongoing issues with PTSD after being waterboarded in "200". So I'm hoping for someone who will have significant nerves at the start of the job and will face considerable stress regarding her choices.

It'd be nice if JJ also never learns how to be a leader because it'd be a good reminder that not everyone is cut out for that kind of thing. With "Grrl Power!" Messer in charge, I somehow doubt that would happen.

Still, the obverse- JJ learning and adjusting into her role after a rough start- could be an interesting angle if she starts to think, "I could do a better job than Prentiss can". Then we could have some real conflict for when Prentiss actually comes back.

What say you, fellow CM fans?

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 1

It looks like Kim Rhodes is slated to appear in this episode and then next three so it is a short multi-episode arc.  Erica did say some of the stuff Emily did last year (i.e. not turning the recording of Reid's interview to the Mexican Police and issuing the Amber alert) was going to come back and bit her in the butt.  This could be part of it and it could be the hunt for the mole.  Rhodes could be the mole or this is a ploy to flush out the mole.  Maybe this is also where we start to see some of Reid's PTSD.  He's going to feel extremely guilty that his actions has gotten Emily in trouble and possibly out of a job.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

On to No. 3...it seemed that JJ was apprehensive about being named Unit Chief, and JJ hasn't always been the most confident of characters lately. That could be due to her ongoing issues with PTSD after being waterboarded in "200". So I'm hoping for someone who will have significant nerves at the start of the job and will face considerable stress regarding her choices.

I would really like to see that, actually, and I hope the show does explore that a bit. I agree that she doesn't really actually want the job, either. She's never given any indication that that's a position she was aiming for. So yeah, that could make for a good story for her, for sure. 

Still, the obverse- JJ learning and adjusting into her role after a rough start- could be an interesting angle if she starts to think, "I could do a better job than Prentiss can". Then we could have some real conflict for when Prentiss actually comes back.

I really would like to see a storyline where there's some tension between Emily and the rest of the team if and when she does get her job back. Maybe somebody gets a little reckless in the field on a case and she snaps at them over it, because of the loss of Stephen. Especially if his death is part of the reason she's being investigated. Maybe she gets into it with Reid because of whatever fallout may still be coming from his time in prison. Or your suggested thing with JJ would be a good option, too. Hotch was close to the team, too, obviously, just as Emily is, but he also had an easier time putting up that boss/employee barrier when the situation called for it, and I do think that's been an issue for Emily thus far. I don't mean that as a knock or criticism of her, mind, just observing something that I think fits and makes sense with her character, her relationships with the others, and her way of running things.

But I do think it'd be interesting to see what would happen if she did have to take a particularly hard line with one of the others on something. Especially if it's one of the team members she's known the longest. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I would really like to see that, actually, and I hope the show does explore that a bit. I agree that she doesn't really actually want the job, either. She's never given any indication that that's a position she was aiming for. So yeah, that could make for a good story for her, for sure. 

I really would like to see a storyline where there's some tension between Emily and the rest of the team if and when she does get her job back. Maybe somebody gets a little reckless in the field on a case and she snaps at them over it, because of the loss of Stephen. Especially if his death is part of the reason she's being investigated. Maybe she gets into it with Reid because of whatever fallout may still be coming from his time in prison. Or your suggested thing with JJ would be a good option, too. Hotch was close to the team, too, obviously, just as Emily is, but he also had an easier time putting up that boss/employee barrier when the situation called for it, and I do think that's been an issue for Emily thus far. I don't mean that as a knock or criticism of her, mind, just observing something that I think fits and makes sense with her character, her relationships with the others, and her way of running things.

But I do think it'd be interesting to see what would happen if she did have to take a particularly hard line with one of the others on something. Especially if it's one of the team members she's known the longest. 

Yeah, and if they jump right in to clear her name when they let him languish for 3+ months, I would expect a bit of fallout, but from Reid's end, and justifiably. Why would she suddenly turn into a stickler when she gets her job back? (If she gets her job back).

• Love 1

I'm finding it difficult to wrap my head around Prentiss being reviewed/disciplined/whatever for a tiny oversight like 'I didn't record it' (the interview) when Hotch never faced any measures for some of the things he did (hiding Reid's drug use, apparently overlooking Rossi killing Donnie Mallick etc for example.) 

Law enforcement does all sorts of gray area stuff in order to solve crimes and serve justice. "I didn't record the interview" (especially since it turned out we were right all along and Reid was framed) just doesn't cut it as a significant misuse of her power. 

IMO.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, normasm said:

Yeah, and if they jump right in to clear her name when they let him languish for 3+ months, I would expect a bit of fallout, but from Reid's end, and justifiably. 

Also a good point. 

Why would she suddenly turn into a stickler when she gets her job back? (If she gets her job back).

Nervousness, perhaps, depending on what kind of threats she feels the team might be facing from the higher ups. Or maybe the investigation gets frustrating for her somehow, and she takes that frustration out on the others as a result. This isn't the first time she's had the higher ups breathing down her neck for something, after all, so on the one hand, that could, and should, make it easier for her to know how to fight them...but on the other hand, she might be really, really tired of the constant scrutiny, and any insecurities she has could come to the surface as a result, and add to whatever tension is happening with the team.

There's also the fact that Matt made a point of telling JJ that Barnes liked to pit the IRT against each other. If that's her plan here, too, then trying to get it so everyone in the BAU mistrusts each other and fights more and whatnot would be a good way to make that happen. 

I'm also wondering, since Matt's on the team, if Barnes won't try and use him somehow at some point in whatever she's got planned. We've had people join the BAU from other teams in the past and get on well with them And so far that's been the case with Matt, too...but maybe that could be all about to change. 

8 hours ago, ReidFan said:

I'm finding it difficult to wrap my head around Prentiss being reviewed/disciplined/whatever for a tiny oversight like 'I didn't record it' (the interview) when Hotch never faced any measures for some of the things he did (hiding Reid's drug use, apparently overlooking Rossi killing Donnie Mallick etc for example.) 

Law enforcement does all sorts of gray area stuff in order to solve crimes and serve justice. "I didn't record the interview" (especially since it turned out we were right all along and Reid was framed) just doesn't cut it as a significant misuse of her power. 

IMO.

Agreed. And that's if the investigation is even really actually about her methods at all. There's definitely got to be much more to it than that. 

I would hope they don't go the "Prentiss has to be Mr. Boss" route, I would rather they show a woman in charge can be very capable, not reacting to stress on her, but strong in the face of a team threat, like Hotch would. Otherwise it would seem that Prentiss and JJ would both wimp out in the face of adversity. I don't want either of them to be supernatural, but i do want them to be capable, and for Emily to lead the way out of this crisis.

• Love 3

I could be wrong, but I don't recall an incident where Prentiss had to so much as even give a stern warning to anyone. Perhaps because of the camaraderie of the team everyone has gotten along just fine, with Prentiss only needed to provide guidance and protection if need be.

So Prentiss handing out discipline is an untested part of her character.

I would agree that I don't want her to change into "Mr. Boss" either, but I would like to see the stress affect her somehow. I read her as much more emotional than Hotch was so I would figure stress would affect her and cause her to snap. I would just want her to realize that on her own and learn how to handle It, as well as work on it knowing Barnes played her in that fashion.

Watched the sneak peeks for tonight's episode, and I'm already confused.  We're told Prentiss has other things on her plate, yet she's at the case discussion, giving orders.  Does JJ only serve as 'acting unit chief' in the field?  If so, that would, to me, make the passover of Rossi  and Reid even more suspect.  It feels like there's something specific to it being JJ who is named as acting unit chief that is important.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, JMO said:

Watched the sneak peeks for tonight's episode, and I'm already confused.  We're told Prentiss has other things on her plate, yet she's at the case discussion, giving orders.  Does JJ only serve as 'acting unit chief' in the field?  If so, that would, to me, make the passover of Rossi  and Reid even more suspect.  It feels like there's something specific to it being JJ who is named as acting unit chief that is important.

Well Reid it's obvious because of what happened to him, in one of the sneak peaks Barnes said that it's been a year since his arrest in Mexico and that's why they have to do a investigation. 

And she should know that she can put Rossi because he would ask more questions. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Mariana said:

Well Reid it's obvious because of what happened to him, in one of the sneak peaks Barnes said that it's been a year since his arrest in Mexico and that's why they have to do a investigation. 

And she should know that she can put Rossi because he would ask more questions. 

That may be true.  Because it's ridiculous to think that the FBI would do a one-year review of an episode, and Rossi would know to call them out on it.  

• Love 1
On 1/31/2018 at 11:35 AM, JMO said:

That may be true.  Because it's ridiculous to think that the FBI would do a one-year review of an episode, and Rossi would know to call them out on it.  

Knowing Rossi, he would probably be like,

"Oh, I know. I just don't care. Because we all know he was framed. And...last I checked, you didn't provide an attorney and offered assistance to him when we returned home with him."

• Love 1

Sounds like an interesting episode-kinda similar to "Burn" in some ways, but still, I'm curious to see how it plays out. Hopefully they'll be able to properly sort out Garcia's sibling situation in the process :p. 

• Love 1

Weird to have the season end so early. I wonder why they decided to move "Code Black"'s return date up.

On the plus side, at least, since May sweeps doesn't start until the end of the month, that means I can just kick back and relax when TVLine's scorecard for those come out, since "Criminal Minds", along with all the other shows I watch, will have wrapped things up for the season before then :D. Can watch other fans freak out about their shows during that time period instead :p.

Edited by Annber03

Well this definitely speaks to there being a season 14. Otherwise they would have easily added one more episode bringing it up to 300. I just hope they do not come up with a story line for 300 as convoluted as the one they did for 200. But even more important I sincerely hope the screen time is a hell of a lot more balanced than it was in 200. That was an outright disgrace in my opinion.

• Love 3

For some reason, I have a bad feeling that they will either kill off Reid in season finale, or Matthew Gray Gubler will leave the show after season thirteen.

But I'm probably just paranoid.

I don't see them ever killing him off at all. When it comes to the main team members in general, they seem pretty hesitant to kill them off. Only exceptions being, of course, Stephen, and that was more due to CBS abruptly letting him go (though I do think if they'd ended last season without a car crash, and CBS still dumped Gupton after that, I doubt they would've killed Stephen off in that case), and of course, Gideon, mainly because the chances of Patinkin ever coming back to visit or something were pretty much nil :p. Otherwise, they seem to prefer to find non-death related reasons for team members to leave if and when the time comes,. Plus, I think they're more than well aware that the fans would not accept that kind of ending for him. 

And I saw somebody elsewhere share a tweet from Paget Brewster a few weeks back where she responded to somebody who wondered if this whole story arc meant one of the team members was leaving, and she stated that nobody was going anywhere. Granted, that's not an automatic guarantee, either, especially with CBS' tendency to mess with the cast as they do, but at the very least, her comment seems to indicate the cast themselves have no intentions of personally choosing to quit the show anytime soon. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, normasm said:

Thread for tonight's episode?

I made one, but anyone can do it, just click 'start topic' and once the template comes up, click on the 'episode topic' and just fill in the necessary details :)

Spoiler

Multiple sources tell TVLine that, given that Season 13 ends with a heart-in-your-throat cliffhanger, there is every reason to believe that the show will be renewed. And if it’s not, there are going to be millions of pissed-off fans lamenting the lack of closure. (Matthew Gray Gubler echoed the “great cliffhanger” tease, then proceeded to basically tell me which lives will be in jeopardy, but I’ll keep that to myself. For now.)

he was safe last year, I bet Reid is one of the ones in jeopardy this time.

dammit, didn't mean to put this in a spoiler tag but I can't undo it....

Edited by ReidFan
stoopit me
2 minutes ago, ReidFan said:
  Hide contents

Multiple sources tell TVLine that, given that Season 13 ends with a heart-in-your-throat cliffhanger, there is every reason to believe that the show will be renewed. And if it’s not, there are going to be millions of pissed-off fans lamenting the lack of closure. (Matthew Gray Gubler echoed the “great cliffhanger” tease, then proceeded to basically tell me which lives will be in jeopardy, but I’ll keep that to myself. For now.)

he was safe last year, I bet Reid is one of the ones in jeopardy this time.

dammit, didn't mean to put this in a spoiler tag but I can't undo it....

You never know.

Yes, it doesn't make any difference if it's a cliffy, they will bring CM back if they think it has enough viewers to make it worthwhile to the network. Nothing else really plays into it.