Type keyword(s) to search

Jesus Christ Superstar Live! (NBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I’m not disappointed. I loved the music when I I bought the original cast album years ago, & played it over & over (sacrilegiously using “I don’t know how to love him” to mourn a now long forgotten boyfriend). I probably prefer the original cast but these performers are fine and happy to hear the music again. The commercials are definitely distracting.

• Love 14
(edited)
4 minutes ago, bosawks said:

All these commercials are certainly a momentum killer.

Especially the commercial with John Legend and his wife.

I think the commercials are why I'm not feeling it as much as the one they showed on PBS years ago.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 8
Just now, satrunrose said:

Jesus Christ Superstar came first (which is why, as much as I enjoy Rent, I'm always annoyed when people call it the first rock musical).

This was always my issue with Rent - it's a fine show, but they used a tag line something like "nothing you've ever seen in theatre".  And I always answered "only if you've never been to the theatre".  They took themselves awfully seriously.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

This was always my issue with Rent - it's a fine show, but they used a tag line something like "nothing you've ever seen in theatre".  And I always answered "only if you've never been to the theatre".  They took themselves awfully seriously.

That’s what annoyed me so much about the Spring Awakening folks, Hair is calling and they want you to relax...

• Love 11

Wonder why Alice isn't mic'ed?  Maybe he's more comfortable with a mic in his hand?  Either way, he and the girls are fab!  In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that the entire cast, with the exception of John Legend, is amazing.

• Love 10
(edited)
12 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Please someone identify the guitar player - it's driving me crazy.

The Edge, Jr.
...at least that's what I'm calling him in my head. Or the other one, up on the scaffolding? 

Edited by ChromaKelly
  • Love 10

i was a youngster when I went to see Superstar on Broadway and a few things stood out in my memory.  One, when Pontius Pilate sang his mic went and they had a "servant girl" bring a new one out to him.  Two, I loved Herod's song and the way he danced in his number.  Three, Ben Vereen was awesome and it really struck me the way they hoisted him up into the air. Four, that HUGE gold dress that Jesus was in during the Superstar chorus.  

All that being said, I didn't mind Alice but would have liked it if he'd danced along with his chorus girls.

• Love 3

Dunno, I think Alice was the only disappointment, in what should be a high energy campy role. Here they relied on dancing girls instead.

I’m old, and saw the original on Broadway as a teen. I think, Alice aside, this is a great production. My recollection back then was that Jesus was the weakest role in the show, so I am not as bothered as some by John Legend.

• Love 10
Just now, Linderhill said:

there are WAY TOO MANY commercials that last TOO LONG.

I'm kinda wishing I had recorded it to watch later and skip the commercials.  But then I'd have missed all this lovely chat!

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Linderhill said:

i was a youngster when I went to see Superstar on Broadway and a few things stood out in my memory.  One, when Pontius Pilate sang his mic went and they had a "servant girl" bring a new one out to him.  Two, I loved Herod's song and the way he danced in his number.  Three, Ben Vereen was awesome and it really struck me the way they hoisted him up into the air. Four, that HUGE gold dress that Jesus was in during the Superstar chorus.  

All that being said, I didn't mind Alice but would have liked it if he'd danced along with his chorus girls.

Well, he's, what, 70? And no matter what he may think, golf does not get one in shape for stage dancing. ;-)

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

That could be interesting.

This guy playing Judas is AH-mazing.

I went to college with him. He was in the annual varsity show and then he went on to Broadway, being in The Color Purple, The Scottsboro Boys and Shuffle Along, to name a few shows.

• Love 7
(edited)
4 minutes ago, rwlevin said:

I went to college with him. He was in the annual varsity show and then he went on to Broadway, being in The Color Purple, The Scottsboro Boys and Shuffle Along, to name a few shows.

To quote someone (@Browncoat)  upthread - I'm jealous! 

Edited by ebk57
had to find out who "someone" was!
  • Love 3
(edited)

I loved Could we start again please, which has always been my favourite little song. Sarah Bareilles is killing it, as is Brandon Victor Dixon. John Legend sounds really nice, but I was underwhelmed by Gethsemane. Overall it's not bad, but not amazing.

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 7

I've met Alice Cooper - he's a super nice guy and funny. If you've ever seen Wayne's World, that's pretty much what he's like in real life. And for what it's worth, I think he slayed.

• Love 20

Ugh.  It's just starting out here, and while I love Judas already, I hate the live-audience reax, telling me how I'm supposed to feeeeeeeel.  Let me learn to like it without the cues!

Eh.  Maybe I'll get past it.