Type keyword(s) to search

Jesus Christ Superstar Live! (NBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Damn, Caiaphas up here crushing it! 

John Legend is a weak link acting-wise. Such a great voice, but so far he is not pulling off what Ted Neeley could with Jesus (that aura of carrying such a burden, it's almost a put-upon gravitas).

I was kind of undecided on this guy playing Simon but I think I like it. It's a modern version of the 70s Simon as far as kind of a zealous (heh) kookiness.

• Love 10

I am really digging the staging and set.  Not terribly impressed with John Legend, but as I said previously, I'm not generally a fan, so take my opinion of him and his performance with a grain of salt!

• Love 1

I'm thoroughly enjoying this so far.  And I agree with the John Legend has the vocal chops, but not the acting chops.  Still, it's working for me.  

The productions is gorgeous to look at. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I'm sure John is great in his concerts but he just doesn't have a "musical theater" voice so, to me, he's being out performed by everyone else so far.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 5

I don't have any real expectations with this production, considering it's live and they are filming without all the room they had out in the desert. However, the dancers would have had more room and the choreography would have been better if they didn't have the tables in the middle of the room. I'm finding some of the dance sequences to be a little stilted - due to lack of room.  The singing has been good so far. I'll save my comments about John Legend until he gets to Gethsemane. 

I'm looking forward to Sara's "I Don't Know...", but her presence keeps reminding me that she's a better songwriter than Rice/Webber. Musical theater included.   

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Pallas said:

I'm looking forward to Sara's "I Don't Know...", but her presence keeps reminding me that she's a better songwriter than Rice/Webber. Musical theater included.   

Yes, currently obsessed w/ Waitress cast recording (and have previously been obsessed with JCS, Evita, and Phantom cast recordings) so can confirm :)

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, starriepie said:

All. That. Glitter.  

This is why we have such long commercial breaks!  LOL

1 minute ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I'm already exhausted from all this singing along!

Me, too.

• Love 1

I'm very impressed with this too; most of the folks are very, very good.  As others have noted, Legend is a pretty weak link.  And the woman playing MM is not doing it for me.

Ciaphas and Pilate are *very* good.  It will be interesting to see what Alice does with Herod. :)

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

The stagehands are thrilled...

At the next commercial break, they had six of them frantically sweeping it up without much success. They finally busted out a vacuum by the end of the dress rehearsal last night.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, goodbunny said:

At the next commercial break, they had six of them frantically sweeping it up without much success. They finally busted out a vacuum by the end of the dress rehearsal last night.

At our theatre, they were happy that in Chicago, they didn't throw the glitter discs until the end so they didn't have to rush to get it all up.  

I'm not seeing a reason behind this production.  It doesn't seem like the producers have anything new to bring to the production or new to say about religion.  Is is just, it's Easter and more people have heard of 'Superstar' than 'Godspell'?

• Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I don't know that there's been a reason behind any of the live musicals televised in the last few years, at least as far as new or updated production values.  It's just something nice for the people who don't get to go to the theatre often.  

Maybe they'll do Godspell next year. 

That's been the problem with most of the live musicals; no artistic vision.  Right now Judas is asking if he's damned forever and he sounds like he's worried he won't be let back in the club.  The stakes in 'Superstar' are a lot higher than what I'm seeing here.  Maybe I expect too much.  I stopped watching these things but 'Superstar' is a favourite.  I should have known better.

Edited to add:  People who don't get to see a lot of theatre should know that musical theatre is more than pretty people hitting glory notes.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I don't know that there's been a reason behind any of the live musicals televised in the last few years, at least as far as new or updated production values.  It's just something nice for the people who don't get to go to the theatre often.  

Also? The songs ROCK!

• Love 20

I don't know about this one. John Legend is actually quite good, which I didn't expect; I thought his voice might not be strong enough. However, there's too much visual and aural noise for my tastes. The sets and costuming look like Mad Max meets Blade Runner, and the performers are getting lost in the waving scarves and wild dancing and all the background noise from the audience and even from the chorus when they're not singing. Maybe I'm too old or out of touch to appreciate innovative staging, but I'm not really impressed. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

That's been the problem with most of the live musicals; no artistic vision.  Right now Judas is asking if he's damned forever and he sounds like he's worried he won't be let back in the club.  The stakes in 'Superstar' are a lot higher than what I'm seeing here.  Maybe I expect too much.  I stopped watching these things but 'Superstar' is a favourite.  I should have known better.

Edited to add:  People who don't get to see a lot of theatre should know that musical theatre is more than pretty people hitting glory notes.

I understand this point of view.  I sometimes wonder why there are all these revivals on Broadway, but when I think about it, I realize how lucky I am to have seen all these shows so I can complain that they're just doing them again.  (And yes, I'm going to see My Fair Lady this summer because I love Lauren Ambrose).   Most people don't get to see Broadway shows, so if they can on TV, that's great.  Even if there are no new insights or production values for those of us who have seen them before.  

• Love 20
(edited)

So the album is already out?

I think this is a great production.  I saw this on Broadway for my 13th birthday over 40 years ago, and I am impressed, and not at all bothered by the scarves, which I don’t even notice until folks here kept bringing them up.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 15
(edited)

You know after I sold out the messiah for a couple of pieces of silver I think I’d accessorize with a scarf.

Hold on to your seats, it’s make or break time with Gethsemane

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 6
Just now, ebk57 said:

I understand this point of view.  I sometimes wonder why there are all these revivals on Broadway, but when I think about it, I realize how lucky I am to have seen all these shows so I can complain that they're just doing them again.  (And yes, I'm going to see My Fair Lady this summer because I love Lauren Ambrose).   Most people don't get to see Broadway shows, so if they can on TV, that's great.  Even if there are no new insights or production values for those of us who have seen them before.  

Back in the day, (waaaaaay back in the day), they used to do stage musicals for tv, usually on PBS.  There were no 'name' actors, other than Broadway names.  And they were amazing.  The point was to bring the experience to people who weren't lucky enough to see live theatre.  I'd hate to think that some kid sitting in a small town somewhere thinks that THIS is musical theatre.

I'm old.  And I'm disappointed. 

(edited)

I would love to have been able to see this in person. 

FWIW, I'm old too, but I'm still digging it. (Evidence that I'm old -- I use the phrase "digging it.")

Edited again to say again that John Legend is not impressive in this role.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 15
Just now, Neurochick said:

I’m smiling at some of the negative comments.

I am in my late fifties and see mainly off Broadway shows these days, but when I was younger I used to see a lot of Broadway musicals.

I am old and NOT disappointed.

That's great.  It's nice that people can have different opinions.  It's REALLY nice if ALL of those opinions are respected.

• Love 3

I should probably throw in there that I'm old too, and we would do JCS in church (to the intense annoyance of the monsignor); i sang MM a couple times, and i'm liking this.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Back in the day, (waaaaaay back in the day), they used to do stage musicals for tv, usually on PBS.  There were no 'name' actors, other than Broadway names.  And they were amazing.  The point was to bring the experience to people who weren't lucky enough to see live theatre.  I'd hate to think that some kid sitting in a small town somewhere thinks that THIS is musical theatre.

I'm old.  And I'm disappointed. 

I loved those musicals on PBS!  

I'm wondering if you've watched any of the other telecasts in the past few years, and if so, which ones you enjoyed.  I'm sorry you're not into this one, but I understand.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:
5 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I’ll give him an A for effort.

It looked like he was thinking too much about it.  Or maybe I'm hypercritical?

I just can't help comparing his Gethsemane with Ted Neely's. It would take a LOT to match Ted Neely on that one.

• Love 6