Type keyword(s) to search

Jesus Christ Superstar Live! (NBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Jesus Christ Superstar is NBC's next live musical

Holy sh– … er, ahem, that is: NBC has just announced its next live musical and it’s Jesus Christ Superstar!

The 1971 Broadway rock opera is coming to broadcast with creators Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice on board as executive producers. Also producers are TV musical veterans Marc Platt, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.

“Casting has just begun, but we want to fill out this classic show with as many recording artists as possible to give proper voice to what is the original rock opera score,” said Robert Greenblatt, Chairman, NBC Entertainment. [x]

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

One of my favoites. I haven't been interested in any of the live musical shows since The Sound of Music which turned out a bit disappointing but was still OK. But "recording artists?" I hope that doesn't mean singers like, say, Beyonce or Ariana Grande as Mary. But they want ratings so...............we'll see, I guess.

• Love 1

Heck, yeah!! One of my favorite films, and I saw it twice on stage in Chicago, once for my 10th birthday present back in 1976 (I started as a theater geek young) and again in the mid-90s with Neeley, Anderson, and Dennis DeYoung (from Styx) as Pontus Pilate. 

As long as they get a decent bass as Caiaphas I am good with any casting. Tim Foust is an excellent idea (Avi Kaplan couldn't bring the menace--he's too sweet). There was a tribute album in the late-90s with a bunch of SXSW musicians (including the Indigo Girls as Jesus and Mary Magdeline) which is pretty good except for the guy singing Caiaphas, who just can't hit the notes consistently. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

As long as they get a decent bass as Caiaphas I am good with any casting. Tim Foust is an excellent idea (Avi Kaplan couldn't bring the menace--he's too sweet).

Truth! I think Tim would be great with the stone-faced pissiness required, LOL. Judas requires the most nuance and inner conflict so they MUST have a great actor for that role. Leslie Odom Jr might be too damn famous at this point, but I think he'd be amazing. My fear is they'll cast some young popular R&B singer that can't really act the role.

• Love 3

The other problem with Avi is that he can't do choreography at all, by his own admission. If they go with some young-ish opera singer, that would be a good choice, too. You just can't cheat with a low-ish baritone pop or R&B star for the part. 

I like the idea of Odom for Judas! Jesus can be a talented nobody who gets his big break here. And Gad as Herod would be good, although he looks too much like Josh Mostel did in the film. They could go different, maybe an Elton John riff.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, ClareWalks said:

Herod: Josh Gad (he gets to ham it up big-time)

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, Sharpie66 said:

And Gad as Herod would be good, although he looks too much like Josh Mostel did in the film. They could go different, maybe an Elton John riff.

Mostel was the weak link in the movie, IMO.  Just saw a spectacular stage production in Aurora, IL of all places with an all African-American cast.  Their Herod was a mohawked variant on Little Richard.  Sooooo good.

• Love 1

Aaron Tveit as Peter, maybe.  I'm not sure he has the power for Simon Zealot or the right range for Judas or Jesus.  But I can see him singing Peter's Denial and Could We Start Again.  Maybe Billy Magnussen (Rapunzel's Prince in the Into the Woods movie) for Simon.

In the land of "ideal fantasies that never come true", I would love Adam Lambert as Jesus and Chris Daughtry as Judas.  Daughtry probably won't want to do the same character again, even if it's a different (and better, IMO) show.  And Lambert would be super controversial, but he'd sing the hell out of Gethsemane.

Even after all these many years, I can still sing along with this because I listened to this rock opera almost every single day for at least a year. In fact, I now have the original London cast on c.d. and this is a staple in my now adult home on Good Friday.  I am excited about this, and I thank you Dee for posting this. i don't want controversy, I don't want artist interpretation. I want it presented as Webber and Rice envisioned back when this was first produced, but that is yet to be seen I guess.

• Love 5

Ancslove, I loved JCS when I saw it on Broadway. What I meant by my statement was that I hope this tv production sticks with the way Webber & Rice produced it way back when, snd since I think I read they are involved in this production, my hopes stay high for it. I worry that somehow the powers that be will spin this into a political drama like they just did with Julius Caesar in Central Park.  To me, the Story of Christ is compelling enough and told beautifully in this rock opera. No need for politics to enter into it. I hope I'm making sense here and you understand what my babbling is trying to say. 

• Love 1

I saw the national tour of Waitress yesterday and guess who was playing Old Joe? The same dude who played Simon Zealotes in the JCS movie! He was great, and it was nice to see him still kickin' it around musicals.

As for Alice Cooper as Herod, I am skeptical. But open-minded!

Edited by ClareWalks

Wouldn't mind seeing Bruno Mars somewhere in this production. 

I agree with Happy Belly.   I practically wore out the album by playing it so much.  Definitely is my favorite show, and I'm excited for the upcoming presentation.

Sara Bareilles has been cast as Mary Magadelene.

“To say I’m excited about this performance is the understatement of the century,” Bareilles said in a statement. “This score and this musical have been a part of me from a very young age and it will be one of the great thrills of my life to sing these iconic songs. It’s incredible to see the beloved medium of musical theatre being embraced by television audiences, and this cast and creative team is extraordinary. I feel extremely lucky to be a part of the project!”

I'm excited about this!

• Love 2

FINALLY.

Hamilton alum Brandon Victor Dixon will star as Judas in NBC’s live broadcast of Jesus Christ Superstar. He joins the previously announced John Legend as Jesus, Sara Bareilles as Mary Magdalene, and Alice Cooper as King Herod.

Also joining the cast of the upcoming concert production are Tony Nominees Ben Daniels (Les Liasons Dangereuses) as Pontius Pilate and Norm Lewis (Once on This Island) as Caiaphas, Broadway actor Jason Tam (Les Miserables) as Peter, M. Butterfly's Jin Ha as Annas, and Swedish musician Erik Gronwall as Simon Zealotes.

Courtesy of Playbill dot com.

Not being a Hamilon person (I know, I'm a philistine...) I don't know this Brandon Victor Dixon person.  Does he have the chops for Judas?  Any intel on the other announced cast?  

• Love 1
On 2/22/2018 at 12:46 PM, Lovecat said:

FINALLY.

Not being a Hamilon person (I know, I'm a philistine...) I don't know this Brandon Victor Dixon person.  Does he have the chops for Judas?  Any intel on the other announced cast?  

He is currently playing Aaron Burr on Broadway (arguably the most difficult part to play and sing) so I bet he will be amazing!

• Love 5
On 12/19/2017 at 8:05 AM, TattleTeeny said:

You guys, I am not even kidding -- when I read that Alice was set to be in this, I legit screamed in my living room! 

I am very excited to see Alice Cooper in this, too!!  I might be going to Vegas that Sunday and all I can think is:  I better be able to find NBC on my hotel tv!!  I go to Vegas to watch a musical!!

• Love 1

I was worried about the casting of Caiaphas, since good basses who can act and tv execs would be interested in are rare. Norm Lewis is an excellent choice—I know him as.Javert in the 25th anniversary concert of Les Mis. 

• Love 4
On 2/22/2018 at 1:46 PM, Lovecat said:

FINALLY.

I saw BVD as Burr and he was stunning!  He definitely has the chops for this. 

Also saw Norm Lewis as Porgy and he was spectacular.  I now can't wait for this to happen 

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Since it's being promoted as "Live in concert", do I take it this version is not fully staged? 

I've never seen "Jesus Christ Superstar" prior to watching the dress rehearsal in the audience tonight, but it seemed staged like a normal musical to me, albeit on a single giant set (unlike the other live TV musical events that have utilized multiple sets). The people around me who had seen JCS were effusive in their praise post-show, so I think it was in line with their expectations. 

The show was excellent overall with a high-energy vibe (and this is coming from someone who is "meh" on the JCS soundtrack), and the singing was absolutely amazing. Brandon Victor Dixon absolutely killed it as Judas, John Legend and Sara Bareilles did a beautiful job with their featured numbers, and the entire cast turned in solid performances. I'm excited to see how it translates to the screen!

Edited by goodbunny
To add my general impression of the show, in addition to clarifying the staging.
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, ClareWalks said:

I described the staging/costumes on FB as "Rent meets leather bar meets Burning Man" and I am HERE for it so far. 

That is perfect! I thought they all look like hipsters, which makes me think the unofficial setting is New York (it works with your Rent reference!), San Francisco, or Portland. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Finally, the grownups arrive!  John Legend is a great singer but he has no stage presence (so far).  I'm looking for some actors who can sing not singers who'd like to be actors.

And there's Norm Lewis - great singer, really good actor.   

Interesting hair/makeup for him.  He almost looks like Klingon.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 9
Just now, bosawks said:

Kinda off topic but I love Sara’s sandals, I want a pair.

And the sound engineer needs to up their game.

I thought it was just me.  What's the point of miking the cast if the music is louder than the performers?

• Love 12