Type keyword(s) to search

Looking - General Discussion

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

One man's "I left Jon" is another man's "Jon kicked me out." I suspect that the latter is closer to the truth than the former, especially since I think Jon started getting a clue after the Halloween party. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong on that angle.

Jon kicking Kevin out sounds closer to the truth.

Bingo. I thought I was the only one who thought that Jon dumped Kevin.  I think that Jon first figured things out after the party and then kicked Kevin out soon afterwards. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall during that fight.

• Love 1

Having recently lost a parent, I thought that Weedman's performance was incredible in capturing the swirl of emotions as you try to process what has just happened. Give her an Emmy.

One thing this show does extraordinarily well is capturing the small, intimate moments that happen between friends. One thing this show does not do well is in character development. For me, Patrick has taken a Carrie Bradshaw trajectory of epic proportions, becoming increasingly vapid, obnoxious, and self-centered. He's not growing up. At all. Tagging along on a funeral trip because you don't want to deal with your own shit? Pathetic. Becoming a crying mess at said funeral to become the focus of attention? Trying to constantly one-up someone on a sad childhood? Just gross. I'n happy that Kevin can finally be with him. They are 2 of a kind.

• Love 7

Trying to constantly one-up someone on a sad childhood? Just gross.

It's bad enough to do that under normal circumstances but with someone whose father just died? Dude.

If I were feeling generous or if it had been someone other than Patrick, I might have entertained the possibility that he initially made that sad childhood comment jokingly to try to add some levity to the situation (for example, imagine Eddie making a similar comment similar to the way he broke the tension during Patrick and Brady's conversation at the party last week), but no.

I don't know... I didn't see it as being as bad as some here are posting. In some ways, I think Patrick was trying to keep things light because that's the cue he took from Doris. She's not a sentimental person, she's usually pretty brash, and she was cracking jokes and trying to be dry-witted, probably because it helped her deal with the shock of it all. I felt like Patrick was just trying to learn about Doris and Dom's hometown and the life they had there, and relate to it in his own way. Whenever Doris told him she needed something else, he eased up on his own stories and asked about her stories and Dom's stories. And when they said they needed doughnuts, he ran off without hesitation to get it for them. And that scene where he offers her a neck rub because she looks like she needs one, and then Dom asks for one as well, and Patrick ends up rubbing both of them? Totally cracked me up. 

Oddly, for a really sad episode, there was a lot that made me laugh. Dom and Doris were so funny together, I loved their stories about their time growing up in Modesto, and I liked Patrick's attempts to get to know their life.

I'm also not surprised that Patrick had such an emotional reaction. It was his first funeral, which can be very awkward and intense. The night before he'd gone drinking with his friends and there was a moment where I think he felt really alone, where he felt it much more acutely than usual -- when he talked about how sad and lonely he'd been in school, and then even the stranger (the one that Dom joked that might be kindred with Patrick because he's another loser at the end of the bar) ends up having a boyfriend, and Dom and Doris have each other, and Agustin has Eddie, and Richie has Brady, and (as far as he knows) Kevin has Jon, and Patrick's still smarting from making a complete ass of himself at his party... all of that added together reminded him that his life is kind of a mess right now and he's very much alone.  Then the next day he goes to a funeral where he listens to a woman talk about how much Doris's dad loved his daughter, and I imagine Patrick started thinking about his own life and how his own parents aren't that supportive of him, not like Doris's dad clearly was of her, and it becomes an intense thing that breaks down your emotional barriers. Funerals tend to bring forth a lot of thoughts about one's life and choices. You start to feel very acutely alive and aware of everyone around you and who means the most to you, and everything feels very raw and real and heightened. Even if it's not Patrick's own family, I can see why he was so strongly affected in the moment. I felt it, and it's just a TV show!

At any rate, I just felt like this episode was really well done all around. I felt for all of them, and laughed with them, and cried for Dom and cried for Doris, and gasped when that truck hit their car. It just goes to remind you that life is short and you should find ways to make yourself happy. It's a good reminder.

That, and I loved Doris offering her inheritance to Dom. That scene was just beautiful, and I LOVE their friendship.

P.S. I worry about the Patrick-Kevin relationship. Patrick's feeling alone and very vulnerable after his weekend at the funeral and after the car accident, so I don't think he's thinking clearly. He just wants so desperately to have someone in his life, I think, to have someone he can be with and lean on, but I worry that it's all going to go disastrously wrong and his heart is going to be completely broken in the end.

• Love 5

I loved the three of them dancing like lunatics to "Walking on Sunshine." That was marvelous. And all the ways that Dom was there for Doris, whatever she needed, was fantastic. So sweet.

And Lauren Weedman as Doris did an amazing job. Major kudos to her. (Or gummy bears, if that's what she prefers. Once "the nausea passes." *GRIN*)

• Love 4

Patrick's not a particularly malicious person, but I do think he's the type who's actions are so dictated by emotion and what he feels that it often blinds his ability to think rationally and act truly selflessly. He feels bad, so everyone else be damned, he always just HAS to let it out. I find his emotional selfishness very immature even if he doesn't intend to be self-centered. It almost always circles back around to Patrick has to do what Patrick feels. He's very much a "the heart wants what it wants" type of character, I think, in that he always lets his neuroses guide his every move. Boy has next to no impulse control and I think that's what a lot of posters are most critical of. It's always about HIS emotions. Those kind of people I find exhausting in real life, and while I enjoyed the episode, it was much of the same while watching Patrick.

• Love 4

It almost always circles back around to Patrick has to do what Patrick feels. He's very much a "the heart wants what it wants" type of character, I think, in that he always lets his neuroses guide his every move. Boy has next to no impulse control and I think that's what a lot of posters are most critical of. It's always about HIS emotions. Those kind of people I find exhausting in real life, and while I enjoyed the episode, it was much of the same while watching Patrick.

That's why I like how Patrick is written, because all of these characters do exist in real life. I think we have to see what develops and happens between Kevin and Patrick, since this is what he supposedly wants. He's gotten it, even while being a total mess.

Will Patrick stop being a neurotic mess now, since he's with the guy, that's supposedly the match for him?

• Love 1
Unfortunately, for me, this whole episode felt as if it was written for three teenagers going to someone's grandparent's funeral - to whom they were not especially close.

Doris is a grown-ass woman. Her father died. She was his only child and they were very close. -

I agree with you, emotionally they are teenagers.  I'm not sure Doris and her dad were close at the time of his death.  I thought Doris escaped from Modesto when she was 18 and never looked back.  

I have to agree with others, Patrick was just a selfish asshole this entire episode.  I felt like he kept making the funeral about himself.  I suppose he's the main character of the show so it makes sense but several times I was just thinking Shut UP!  It's not about you!

The last two episodes have been good.  This is the first episode that Doris hasn't annoyed me and I gave a shit about Dom.  The actress who plays Doris is actually very pretty.  Her character just bugged me so bad in the past, I wouldn't mind seeing her get fleshed out more.

Getting the text about her dad was a little hard to swallow though.  The script could have had her briefly answer the phone.  I just don't believe any aunt would inform someone of their dad's death via text.

I wasn't informed via text, and it wasn't my dad, but it was someone I cared very much about. I got an email. 2 weeks after the funeral. And the language was so casual, it was like "oh by the way, so-and-so passed away..." I was so mad and upset, not only because I wasn't told but because I didn't get a chance to pay my respects with everyone else. That was probably within the last 10 years.

Separately, as a teenager, a good friend of mine K. was killed in a car accident. He was like an older brother to me. In that case, I was told in person, but in a terribly rude way. I was supposed to meet with another friend (D.) for brunch but she didn't call and she didn't show up. So I went to her house to make sure she was okay and tease her for sleeping in, and her mom greeted me at the door with "She went to see L." I said something like, "Oookay, no problem, that's just weird. We were supposed to have brunch." And the mom said, "Well, don't you know? K. is dead!" And while I stood there stunned, she said "sorry" and closed the door in my face.  I don't know if she had presence of mind to call my parents afterward, or maybe someone else told my parents, but they were waiting for me when I finally got home (I was so shocked by the news, I kind of drove around aimlessly for about an hour, not wanting to go home or see anyone yet, just trying to digest the news.)

Sometimes people are incredibly insensitive or they don't think about how their words will come across. Or they think the other person can handle it?

Also, I get the sense that Doris and her family aren't extremely emotional people. Her aunt seemed to have the same dry wit that Doris does and she didn't cry at the funeral, even though it was her own brother. Some people aren't cryers, others can be but try to hold their feelings in or brush them off because those feelings are too scary (Doris), and others are more emotionally sensitive (Patrick). I know they were trying to make a joke out of Patrick, but I actually thought the aunt's comment about Patrick being the "weird guy who cried" was mean. Why weren't we shown anyone else crying during the funeral? Surely someone in that family doesn't have a stone cold lock on their emotions. To have no one else cry in any way at that funeral was bizarre to me.

And yeah, Patrick doesn't really know Doris's dad, but he was emotionally affected by the aunt's speech and by the loss of what seemed to be a really nice man, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. He should be touched by that. Plus, I think he only seemed dramatic because he was trying to hold in his emotions and that's what can happen when they start to spill out anyway. 

A former coworker once told an incredibly moving story about the loss of her mother and the final moments she had with her. I didn't bawl or anything like that, but I found myself welling up and tears spilling out because it was such a powerful story. I couldn't help it. I wasn't even expecting it. I think I was just so open to listening to her story that I was emotionally struck by it in the moment, and that's how I saw Patrick in the moment during the funeral. He'd never been to a funeral before, he was listening intently and from what I saw he was strongly affected by the stories of how much Doris's dad loved her. Sometimes you don't mean to cry, but it just needs to come out. Frankly, after everything Patrick has been through lately, I'm not surprised.

• Love 2

This was a brilliant episode. I just loved the humour, especially when Dom  and Doris talked about being orphans and he had forgotten his mother was still alive LOL It was very touching too; I really like Dom and Daisy's friendship. When  she told him she wanted to invest her money on him and  they hugged, I got tears in my eyes.

It was weird to have Patrick going with them, but I blame the writers. And I don't think he was trying to become the focus of attention when he started to cry. In fact, I think he was trying to be a supportive good friend. 

I agree that Kevin has probably been dumped, but that scene, in that moment,  worked for me. Kevin loves Patrick, I never had the feeling that Kevin was just using him for sex. I'm sure it won't work (I think Patrick/Richie are endgame), but they're in love and it could work in RL. 

• Love 3

Yeah, same here. I think in real life, Patrick / Kevin would be a more stable couple, but since it is TV, Patrick / Richie are likely end game. It's fairly clear from the way the PTB talk about the 2 relationships. 

I wasn't informed via text, and it wasn't my dad, but it was someone I cared very much about. I got an email. 2 weeks after the funeral. And the language was so casual, it was like "oh by the way, so-and-so passed away..." I was so mad and upset, not only because I wasn't told but because I didn't get a chance to pay my respects with everyone else. That was probably within the last 10 years.

Separately, as a teenager, a good friend of mine K. was killed in a car accident. He was like an older brother to me. In that case, I was told in person, but in a terribly rude way. I was supposed to meet with another friend (D.) for brunch but she didn't call and she didn't show up. So I went to her house to make sure she was okay and tease her for sleeping in, and her mom greeted me at the door with "She went to see L." I said something like, "Oookay, no problem, that's just weird. We were supposed to have brunch." And the mom said, "Well, don't you know? K. is dead!" And while I stood there stunned, she said "sorry" and closed the door in my face.  I don't know if she had presence of mind to call my parents afterward, or maybe someone else told my parents, but they were waiting for me when I finally got home (I was so shocked by the news, I kind of drove around aimlessly for about an hour, not wanting to go home or see anyone yet, just trying to digest the news.)

Sometimes people are incredibly insensitive or they don't think about how their words will come across. Or they think the other person can handle it?

Also, I get the sense that Doris and her family aren't extremely emotional people. Her aunt seemed to have the same dry wit that Doris does and she didn't cry at the funeral, even though it was her own brother. Some people aren't cryers, others can be but try to hold their feelings in or brush them off because those feelings are too scary (Doris), and others are more emotionally sensitive (Patrick). I know they were trying to make a joke out of Patrick, but I actually thought the aunt's comment about Patrick being the "weird guy who cried" was mean. Why weren't we shown anyone else crying during the funeral? Surely someone in that family doesn't have a stone cold lock on their emotions. To have no one else cry in any way at that funeral was bizarre to me.

And yeah, Patrick doesn't really know Doris's dad, but he was emotionally affected by the aunt's speech and by the loss of what seemed to be a really nice man, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. He should be touched by that. Plus, I think he only seemed dramatic because he was trying to hold in his emotions and that's what can happen when they start to spill out anyway. 

A former coworker once told an incredibly moving story about the loss of her mother and the final moments she had with her. I didn't bawl or anything like that, but I found myself welling up and tears spilling out because it was such a powerful story. I couldn't help it. I wasn't even expecting it. I think I was just so open to listening to her story that I was emotionally struck by it in the moment, and that's how I saw Patrick in the moment during the funeral. He'd never been to a funeral before, he was listening intently and from what I saw he was strongly affected by the stories of how much Doris's dad loved her. Sometimes you don't mean to cry, but it just needs to come out. Frankly, after everything Patrick has been through lately, I'm not surprised.

This, pretty much, Sometimes people are more sensitive and you try to keep things in and suddenly you are teary. The other day I heard the mother of a colleague's (one whom I really like as a person but don't know very well) was in the hospital, seriously ill, with failed kidneys from a suddenly failed pancreas. And I just started tearing up in office. Which I never do. Now it could be that I'm in a new country and it probably is, But I don't think it makes Patrick a selfish asshole because he was moved to tears by something very sad. And him trying to stifle his tears made them worse. 

• Love 2

My brother-in-law left the news of my sister's death on my answering machine. An ex found out his "Big Brother" (the organization) died via a note in a Christmas card. People are strange.

My brother-in-law left the news of my sister's death on my answering machine. An ex found out his "Big Brother" (the organization) died via a note in a Christmas card. People are strange.

That's HORRIBLE! If anything happens to my sister or brother and my in-law notifies me that way, someone's ass is going to be kicked. So inappropriate and insensitive.

And I'm really sorry about your sister.

• Love 1

I really loved how Dom was there for Doris every step of the way. A hand on her shoulder, or around her, at all times, he was right there. You could see their close friendship in every scene. So moving to me.

• Love 3

Patrick / Richie are likely end game. It's fairly clear from the way the PTB talk about the 2 relationships.

Nooo!! Spare Richie this fate, spare him!

But with Kevin/Patrick getting together with 3 episodes left, I feel they're doomed for sure. They will be over by the finale. I suspect that Patrick will end the season single, which is really what he needs. He needs to get his act together and figure himself out before he can be in a relationship with anyone.

• Love 5

That's HORRIBLE! If anything happens to my sister or brother and my in-law notifies me that way, someone's ass is going to be kicked. So inappropriate and insensitive.

And I'm really sorry about your sister.

Thank you. But I cut him some slack, it's not like he was thinking straight at the time.

I thought I was over Patrick with his drunken behavior last episode, but managing to make himslef the center of attention at Doris' Dad's funeral was the nail in the coffin for me in terms of his character. That's on top of both he and the writers avoiding the fallout by getting the heck out of Dodge for the timely demise.

It was nice to get to know more about both Dom and Doris, though, Patrick aside. I am surprised that they were a "thing" back when and that they are okay with it now, as that's just too weird for me. But, then, I'm always taken aback when I have to remember that Doris is straight.

I don't know if I dislike the Kevin character enough for me to want him to be stuck with Patrick.

• Love 1

I agree that Dom was the perfect friend to Doris. He was always present but without suffocating her. He knew when to come closer and when to give her space, both literally and figuratively. That's what comes of a 20+ year friendship (well, and Dom being awesome). She was able to lean on him physically and emotionally.

I don't think that Doris's lack of crying during the eulogy means she is stone cold emotionless. When my boyfriend's father died, his uncle (meaning the father's brother) gave the eulogy and didn't shed a tear. It wasn't because he is emotionless though. He is actually a very warm and caring person, but he took his responsibility for the eulogy very seriously. Same when my friend's dad died. My friend gave the eulogy and managed to get through it without crying but it wasn't for lack of emotion. He just isn't the type of person who cries in front of people.

(edited)

I didn't actually say Doris is stone cold emotionless. I said I was sorry we didn't see anyone (other than Patrick) at the funeral crying, because it seemed odd, as if everyone in her family had a "stone cold lock" on their emotions. Not that they don't have emotions, but that they have more control over them than most people under the same circumstances. I know people like that, but it seems strange that everyone at the funeral seemed like that. Not a single cryer in the bunch. It seemed like they orchestrated that just to have Patrick be the "weird guy bawling."

I saw Doris as very emotional during the ceremony, actually. But her emotions were bubbling just under the surface; she seemed to be doing everything in her power to hold it all in. Which made me really sad for her because it's her father and she should be allowed to let it out if she needs to. But she seems like the kind of person who doesn't like to show her vulnerabilities, so it was true to her character. But I was so glad when she finally did let go, when Malik arrived.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2
(edited)

I re-watched the last scene from the episode before this and Jon DEFINITELY knew something was up.  I didn't catch his expression the first time, but he had a WTF expression when he was asking Kevin "What was that all about?" and Kevin shrugged.  I bet he confronted him and kicked him out.

Edited by Momof2boyz

I agree that Kevin has probably been dumped, but that scene, in that moment,  worked for me. Kevin loves Patrick, I never had the feeling that Kevin was just using him for sex. I'm sure it won't work (I think Patrick/Richie are endgame), but they're in love and it could work in RL. 

It could work in real life but the odds are stacked against it working.  I know that they have similar backgrounds and share a passion for gaming which helped them form a strong connection.  And those things that are what make people in similar situations think it could work. It makes these two think it could work.

But it all likelihood, even in real life, it won't.  And it won't be some cruel twist of made up fiction if/when it doesn't (beyond the fact that everything on this show is fiction). 

Patrick has always known deep down that Kevin was a bad idea and both of the times he agreed to be with Kevin came at vulnerable times for him, including the end of his relationship with Richie and after a weekend of wallowing in how sad he was growing up.  He is Mr. Neurotic who thinks that he's being chased by Karma HIV and Karma Bed Bugs.  The old saying is "if he cheats with him, he'll cheat on you."  That's not always true but I don't think Patrick's the type who won't let that take over his thoughts at the first sign that Kevin is either bored or may be attracted to someone else.  Their relationship is ripe for insecurity.

That's even before addressing the fact that they're still boss/subordinate and Patrikck's brother-in-law is one of Jon's good friends.  Once the truth gets out, those outside opinions are going to weigh heavily on these two men who care very deeply about the perceptions of others. 

Even with Jon out of the picture, there's more going against this duo than for them...both in fiction and the hypothetical real life scenario.

But I don't think it makes Patrick a selfish asshole because he was moved to tears by something very sad. And him trying to stifle his tears made them worse. 

No.  Simply crying doesn't make him a selfish asshole.  The totality makes him a self-centered asshole.  Or just really really immature. 

As a straight woman, I would have a hard time being roommates/best friends with someone I was once sexually intimate with!  I get their friendship, but I didn't realize they had been together before he came out!  That would just be really weird for me.

We found out they had dated last season, I think.  (And that Patrick & Dom met via  a one night stand.)  I think what helped Dom and Doris out is the fact that they were likely teens when they dated.  And the fact that he's gay. She's still his number one girl. 

• Love 1

I'm a little bummed that we didn't get a chance to hear even a snippet of Jonathan Groff (Patrick) singing in this episode. I can't imagine there will be many opportunities for that, especially any that would fit with the show and the characters, but at least with this one Patrick professed his love for karaoke. With all his bitching that no one else signed up to sing, why didn't we get to hear him go for it? Waste of good talent.  :)

• Love 1
(edited)

This was a great episode, but it was much more despite Patrick than because of him. Patrick's apologizing for his drunken rant at the Halloween party, sneaking in snacks at the diner and apologizing for the car wreck he caused later on were the only things he did right. The death of Doris' father should have been the perfect chance for Doris and Dom to have some quality time together, but Patrick being Patrick, he just had to tag along, which was much more about Patrick's dealing with his own shit than helping Doris through hers. At least Doris had Dom, her best friend/ roommate/ex-lover (which I've suspected all along) for back-up. 

About Modesto, it's a nice enough town, but if its lone gay bar is any indication, I don't blame Doris and Dom for leaving. It may serve booze, play tunes and have a Lady GaGa impersonator, but a dump's a dump. Re the funeral itself, Patrick's crying jag made me roll my eyes to the point of blindness. Doris' mom calling Patrick a "weirdo" after that was an understatement.  Once again, Patrick made a fool of himself in front of a crowd for selfish reasons. If Patrick's crying had been just a one-time delayed reaction to his other problems, that's one thing, but he's been such a self-centered dick all season long, including this episode, that it made me less sympathetic to him, not more. The car accident that Doris, Dom and Patrick got into was partially due to Patrick's negligence. Had Patrick been paying attention at the time, he might have seen that truck coming and gotten out of the way in time. The only good things that came out of that near-death experience was Doris' decision to lend her inheritance to Dom to start his restaurant because he's her family and Doris' breaking down in Malik's arms when he came to take them home. Not even Patrick's complaint that his broken arm ruined his ability to masturbate for two weeks could destroy it. 

Re Kevin's tearful confession of his feelings for Patrick on Patrick's doorstep, while Richie did the same thing in the S1 finale, the difference is that when Richie said those things I believed them; otoh, given Kevin's ability to lie in general and to lie to Patrick and Jon in particular, his profession of love for Patrick feels about as real to me as Kim Kardashian's new blonde hair color and about as permanent. 

Gee, Paddy, way to make the death of a friend's father all about you. Nice.

Co-sign. Patrick is arguably the most unlikable lead character on an HBO series since Sookie Stackhouse from True Blood.

Edited by DollEyes

Loved the entire episode. Doris really moved me. The highlight though was seeing the wonderful Mary Kay Place again! I've loved her since her Mary Hartman days! And I still listen to Baby Boy every now and then!

I could see him being a self-conscious, "what will everyone think/is it good enough," "only truly sing out in the comfort of my living room/bedroom when no one's watching or listening" sort of singer. But yeah, when he's drunk, I could see him being an obnoxiously bad singer. And probably one who won't stop. LOL. Oh, Patrick...

The Kevin and Patrick pairing is going to crash and burn in the season finale.

The conversation between Richie and Patrick, revealed way too much about his reasons for wanting to be with Kevin.

He's "all in" with Kevin, because Richie told him that he wasn't ready to be with him, all those months ago.

In regards to Patrick and Kevin I read the article pointing out some of the more obvious signs but I thought I would leave my own thoughts:

1. Patrick and Kevin are taking things way to fast which is going to lead to some major fallout. I don't know how the HR at their job works but they both did many things that are a big HR no no in this episode.

2. I really don't care about Agustin's opinions since he's still going through his own growth arc and I feel he put Richie on a pedestal due to his lowest point earlier in the season. It doesn't mean his observations are wrong but I think he doesn't know how to leave other people crap alone while he is working through his own.

3. Richie is written in a way where he doesn't seem balanced with Patrick yet. While I did like the episode we had with the pair of them I feel that everytime they are together Richie has to play the Jimminy Cricket to Patrick's Pinnochio. It's not a good foundation for a relationship if Patrick always has to be told to what the best decisions to make are and he's in capable of doing it himself.

4. That whole little taking Brady to the bathroom scene seemed a little suspect. It's be established that before this episode Kevin had severe commitment issues and I don't believe Patrick magically fixed him. He also initiated his pursuit of Patrick by getting drunk and kissing him in a bathroom where they were both connected to the wedding party. Point is Patrick is now in a similar situation Kevin's boyfriend was in and if we recall he was none the wiser. There's just too many parallels that makes me feel something did happen. Also Brady seemed to be really undermining Richie in that scene.

Now I feel the reason why we have Patrick taking Kevin back so easily comes down to one thing: the producers on this show loves gratuitous Jonathan Groff/Russell Tovey fanservice. There's a good chance Kevin might be done after this season (or early next) so their getting in as many underwear and butt shots as the narrative can believably pull off. 

He's "all in" with Kevin, because Richie told him that he wasn't ready to be with him, all those months ago.

And it was so pathetic for him to put his [bad] choice on Richie.  The last time he came home feeling bad to a door stoop it was because he had already made another bad choice to say yes to Kevin. 

That whole little taking Brady to the bathroom scene seemed a little suspect.

The only thing suspect about it is that it was probably a convenient way for Richie and Patrick to have that private conversation.  I do not think there is any hanky panky going on or intended.

From the Recap:

But I doubt Patrick and Kevin's co-workers would've been happier about the situation if they'd learned in a more palatable way.

No.  Probably not.  Because it absolutely changes "team" dynamics when the boss is dating a subordinate/their co-worker.  They gave reasons but I think/hope the co-workers were just dancing down the real reasons they were worried.  Patrick just became Kevin's second-in-command because he's fucking the boss.  Even if that's not how it plays out, it certainly feels alienating to know that such favoritism exists. 

And yes, Kevin, Patrick and Looking creators (if you don't know), you can get fired for a boss/subordinate relationship. 

• Love 4

Because it absolutely changes "team" dynamics when the boss is dating a subordinate/their co-worker. They gave reasons but I think/hope the co-workers were just dancing down the real reasons they were worried. Patrick just became Kevin's second-in-command because he's fucking the boss. Even if that's not how it plays out, it certainly feels alienating to know that such favoritism exists.

It totally changes the dynamic, because now Owen and that other co-worker, cannot be really free to talk to Patrick, about the things that pisses them off, about what Kevin does at the office, due to him now being his boyfriend.

They're going to have to keep themselves and their opinions in check around Patrick. Something that they have never known they had to do before.

Patrick and Kevin look at a sleek new apartment for Kevin, and later, Patrick’s mom (Julia Duffy) convinces him to spend a day at the zoo with his judgmental sister Megan (Kelli Garner). Bad financial news drives a wedge in Doris and Dom’s friendship. Eddie convinces a resistant Agustín to take on an art project for the shelter.

Promo:

Kevin: Do you, uh, ever wear pants?

Agustin: How long are you staying here again?

Kevin: Are you tired of me already?

Agustin: I'm this close to calling INS.

[Patrick enters wearing a bulldog sweater]

Agustin: Wow, okay, two weeks and you guys are now sharing clothes.

Patrick: What? It's cute and I haven't done my laundry in weeks.

Agustin: It's a choice.

Owen: You guys have got to stop finishing each other's sentences.

Patrick: It's called teamwork, Owen. Isn't it fun to be on a great team?

Owen: I mean, I guess, but I think it's a little weird that you guys even buy the same sweater.

Patrick: I didn't buy this sweater.

Kevin: No, that is my sweater.

Patrick: Yeah, he said I could borrow it as long as I promise not to spill anything on it.

Kevin: Butterfingers here spilled goji berries and yogurt all over his floor this morning.

Owen: Wait, why were you at his house so early in the morning?

Patrick: Because he stayed over.

Owen: Like in your bed?

Kevin: Yeah.

Meredith: I just hope it won't impact our company culture of fairness and that heterosexuals won't be descriminated against.

Patrick: I think Owen was really pissed I didn't tell him.

Kevin: Maybe he's just upset that his friend is sleeping with his boss.

Doris: You are setting the stage for your first one star Yelp review.

Doris: Look at your chicken window. I am so proud of you.

Dom: I'm proud of me too.

Patrick: So what's Glorified? It looks like a spy game.

Glorified Guy: Well, it's not. Glorified lets you find all the nearest glory holes. You can give them ratings, leave comments, message, meet up with other users. It's like social networking for the orally adventurous.

Patrick: Wow. I thought the whole point was to not know who was on the other side of the glory hole.

GG: No, the whole point is to get your dick sucked. Or to suck a dick. So, One Up Him - is that a Reese Witherspoon movie?

Dom: Hand me the channel lock.

Agustin: Uhhhh, the what?

Dom: The channel lock. It's got blue handles.

Agustin: These are pliers.

Dom: Well these pliers are channel locks.

Agustin: Dom, I'm in crisis here! The least you could do is refer to tools by their actual names.

Patrick: Hypocrisy does not undermine my point.

Kevin: It does a little.

Patrick: My prom was basically like in 21 Jumpstreet when the nerdy girl lit the gym on fire.

Brady: I'm going to take back all the shit I said about you guys.

Richie: Ahem, Brady...

Brady: WE are going to take back all the shit we said about you guys.

Patrick: And what kind of shit would that be?

Brady: Patrick's not a 13 year old girl who's afraid of her own vagina!

Kevin: Gawd, I'm glad I didn't go back to Seattle. There's nothing but rain and granola.

Kevin: I can't believe how many glory holes there are in this area.

Patrick: Omigawd, I love you...I mean, I-

Kevin: Are you freaking out a little bit now?

Patrick: A little bit. I've never said that before.

Kevin: Not even to your mum?

Patrick: We don't say that in my family.

• Love 1

I think Kevin and Patrick are being pretty naive about HR work policies. 

And Dom is being very naive about opening a mini restaurant. 

I'll give Augustin a pass -- he seems to realize that he is naive about dating a HIV+ person, and is trying.

The GloryHole guy just seemed nasty for no reason.  He seemed to take an instant dislike of Patrick and never let up. Talk about creating division in the gay community..

But it is difficult to muster sympathy for Patrick because of all his neurotic, pushy, needy behavior. His pushing to wear Kevin's sweater to work just came off as very immature. And adult proms just seem like a sad thing to get excited about. (Just call it a dance - - what's with all the unnecessary drama of trying to recapture some high school event that was most likely angst-ridden to begin with? ) 

It was actually Kevin that came off as the person trying to be a good sport - dealing with Patrick's demands, being good-natured when dealing with a drunk Bradley at dinner, etc.  It seemed like a bit of a cheat that the writers didn't bring up anything about what went down between Kevin and Jon -- it just seemed as if *poof*, a long-term partner who recently proposed marriage to Kevin just vanished. 

It does look like things are building towards a big fall for the Patrick+Kevin relationship. I wish TPTB were not pushing Patrick's situation as Kevin or Richie thing, though. Patrick really doesn't seem ready for any  type of serious relationship right now. 

(edited)
it is difficult to muster sympathy for Patrick because of all his neurotic, pushy, needy behavior. His pushing to wear Kevin's sweater to work just came off as very immature.

On the one hand, I understand Patrick wanting to take their relationship forward because it seemed like if he didn't push for some baby steps to be more public, Kevin would be happy to keep their relationship a secret for the foreseeable future.

But I would have preferred for their baby steps forward to be going out together in public, not awkwardly telling their coworkers that they are sleeping together.

Patrick wanting to wear Kevin's sweater to work came off as very high school to me. It's one thing to want to wear your boyfriend's sweater in the house or out to lunch, but wearing it to work when you are dating YOUR BOSS seems tacky on top of immature.

Most companies have very strict written policies about interoffice relationships. A boss/subordinate relationship is almost never allowed (despite what tv shows want to depict). There are so many reasons why it's a bad idea and that's exactly why those policies exist. They are meant to prevent abuse of power, favoritism, etc.

When Brady said he wanted his front page story to be about Kevin and Patrick breaking up and then getting back together to work on this app, I thought it was a good thing that they already started going public with their relationship because it was all going to come out in the article. Then I thought the article would end up making things worse because right now only a few people know that Patrick and Kevin dated, broke up, and got back together. If Brady includes that in his article (as he said he wanted to), EVERYONE is going to know that Kevin cheated on Jon with Patrick and everyone at work is going to know that they didn't just start seeing each other after Kevin and Jon broke up which would make things even more awkward at work.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Was Patrick for real in that scene alone with Richie? Cause if I remember their moment at the end of season 1 correctly, Richie poured his heart out to Patrick, told Patrick he was on the verge of falling in love with him but that he feared Patrick wasn't there yet so he'd back off until Patrick figured out what he wanted. All Patrick had to do was give Richie a call. Instead now he's "Oh, I'm with Kevin because you told me I wasn't ready to be with you". WTF? There's so much wrong with that I don't even know where to begin. Run, Richie, run!

• Love 4
(edited)

I hated how heartbroken Richie looked watching Patrick dancing with Kevin. I yelled, "get over him, Richie."

When Richie first saw Patrick and Kevin and asked if they were together, I noticed how fast Patrick responded and deflected the question. It seemed like he did not want Richie to know that he was with Kevin. Kevin's reaction was to invite Brady and Richie to dinner and pointedly state that they would be on a double date. Does this mean that Patrick is still waffling?

Drunk Brady speaking the truth was hilarious. Richie's cringing was funny too.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Was Patrick for real in that scene alone with Richie? Cause if I remember their moment at the end of season 1 correctly, Richie poured his heart out to Patrick, told Patrick he was on the verge of falling in love with him but that he feared Patrick wasn't there yet so he'd back off until Patrick figured out what he wanted. All Patrick had to do was give Richie a call. Instead now he's "Oh, I'm with Kevin because you told me I wasn't ready to be with you". WTF? There's so much wrong with that I don't even know where to begin. Run, Richie, run!

That's right. He didn't call, because he was in love with Kevin. Could there be any doubt, looking at the four of them, that the pairings made sense? Sorry, Richie and Patrick are not a pair to me.

Kevin may be a serial cheater and maybe he will break Patrick's heart, but Patrick is happy. People insult him and he smiles. The world hates lovers; they're boring and they leave us out, and it always ends in tears or routine, but, shit, let the beauties have their day.

• Love 1

I just watched the Inside the Episode and the creators seemed very pro Kevin and Patrick romance. Maybe people are reading into things too much (or hoping) for some kind of crash and burn with Kevin as the villain.

(edited)

I had the same 'say what?' reaction too? But the writers have done a great job this season of making me not root for them to ever get together so I hope that's actually what they're going for, lol, otherwise whoops. Richie may be occasionally self-righteous, but I still think he deserves way, way, way better than Patrick, who I don't think is a bad person and probably means well, but is such an immature mess it's almost painful. My only concern is if Richie is no longer a viable love interest for Patrick what role does the character continue to play on the show (assuming it's even coming back, of course) because he's not a main character with his own storylines and Dom and Augustin already pretty much fill the 'friends' role.

I do think the writers want us to root for Kevin and Patrick especially with the whole 'us against the world' vibe they had going last night and people being mean about them often for reasons that didn't even make a lick of sense except to possibly make them seem sympathetic in comparison, like the guy in the wheel chair, but nothing they're doing with them, even making Jon a complete non-entity, is really doing it for me and that whole scene with them at work really summed up why. 

Edited by Swansong

I think the whole team Richie vs team Kevin is really silly. That being said I was totally rooting for Richie and now after the last couple episodes, I changed my mind and see Kevin as a better match. I love Richie but I think Kevin really does love Patrick and Patrick loves him, even if he still has done feelings for Richie. It is very true to life. Nothing is ever totally black and white.

• Love 1

Patrick wearing Kevin's shirt to work was awkward, inappropriate and exactly something Patrick would do.  Kevin must have sincere feelings for Patrick because he allowed that, along with telling the other employees about their relationship. Just wrong on so many levels.

I love Brady and was kind of expecting a moment with him and Kevin in the bathroom.

The Jessie Ware song playing in the dance scene was very good.

• Love 4