Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: Your Honor / S04.E20: The Slaughterhouse

• Start Topic

In this combined episode, Captain Holt's mom seeks support from the precinct after her house is robbed; Terry, Rosa, and Boyle remodel the break room; and Amy teaches Gina how to change her car tire. Then Jake and Rosa try to earn the respect of their idol

(edited)

I enjoyed the second episode more than the first, but the A-plots were great in both.

Loved meeting Holt's mother. The last scene with Holt and his mother talking about how they were going to be more open, in their own way, was especially great. I would love to see all of Holt's family, including his sister, together in one room.

Jake/Rosa's competitiveness was great in their storyline. I love their friendship and am happy that we've gotten more focus on it lately.

The continuing of Holt mentoring Amy was also great. I really look forward to seeing how their relationship develops even more next season, once Amy is officially a sergeant. 

Loved both episodes referencing Rosa's love of Nancy Meyers.

For a show that's so good at so many things, it's disappointing how often they end a storyline with Gina's always right/always wins. It sucks that Amy started her plotline wanting a win and ended up with a screwed up car.

Another storyline that the writers love coming back to is , "never meet your hero, because they will always disappoint you."

I'm sad that next week is already the season finale, but grateful that the show will be returning next season.

Edited by betweenthebanter
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

What did Jake say about "Something Has to Give" starring Diane Keaton and John Wick? Who's John Wick?

Keanu Reeves played Diane Keaton's younger love interest in that movie, and he's the lead in the John Wick movies.

• Love 11

I cant decide if scully stole the show with eating the treat balanced on his nose or if hitchcock stole it with the nod of approval he gave to rosa for drugging jake! Or maybe just both of them breaking in the couch and we'll be the judge of that! I feel like last week and this week is the most the've been included and they even got a callback to last weeks episode with the fighting happening because scully is spending time with cindy shatz! 

Holt and Jake solving cases together is always awesome! Jake saying he chose 100 charming specifically to make Holt mad killed me and then Holt bringing it up verbatim later on made my day! 

• Love 4

I love my some Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but there's a reason the show is a half hour. I'm finding the back half of these hour blocks start to fade for me, not because of show quality but just repetitiveness of comedic beats. But that's all on Fox programming, nobody who has anything to do with the show. All of you can keep Jamon-in

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I love my some Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but there's a reason the show is a half hour. I'm finding the back half of these hour blocks start to fade for me, not because of show quality but just repetitiveness of comedic beats. But that's all on Fox programming, nobody who has anything to do with the show. All of you can keep Jamon-in

I have to agree with you on this one.  I love the show, and I love watching episodes in a row on hulu, but I have a hard time watching episodes new to me back-to-back for some reason.  It's not a high brow comedy, but I feel like I almost get tired trying to catch and react to all of the jokes.  But when I've seen the episodes before, I can sit back and enjoy the overall gist and the punchlines I know are coming and know I enjoy.  (Cowabunga, mother!)

• Love 3

I agree.  Two great episodes but perhaps diluted a bit with back to back showings.

Lots of funny lines, but I have to say that Jake's funny faces makes his delivery of lines so perfect for me.  Nothing subtle about it but so perfect.

Did Hitchcock call Scully a bitch?  Bwahahaha

3 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

It's not a high brow comedy, but I feel like I almost get tired trying to catch and react to all of the jokes.  But when I've seen the episodes before, I can sit back and enjoy the overall gist and the punchlines I know are coming and know I enjoy.  (Cowabunga, mother!)

The opening teaser in "Your Honor" would have been an A-Plot (or the entire episode) for any other sitcom.

I think the only other show that does rapid-fire jokes, albeit a bit differently, is MST3K.

(edited)

I'm really not a Gina hater, but I really sick of the "Gina ends up on top" thing this show always does. I just don't get why they think she's the best most awesome character ever who existed who always gets the win. The rest of the characters get wins, but they also have to learn lessons or have set backs, why not her?

Oh well, still loved the episodes, so I cant complain too much. Rosa and Jake are always a fun combination, and I love when Holt and Jake solve cases together.

Jake being all supportive of their snitch wanting to go to college was hilarious, and rather adorable. He just gets so invested in everyone he interacts with, even criminals! And Amy makes him drink 8 glasses of water a day because she's concerned about his health! And Jake hates water but he does it anyway because Amy asked him too! Even when Jake and Amy hardly interact, they're adorable.

"Why would Amanda and Iris have traded houses if their kitchens were exactly the same?!?!" I'm with Rosa on this one. The Holiday is delightful damn it!

I have to admire Jakes commitment to the Die Hard franchise. Die Hard 5 is awful, and I love Die Hard!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

Echoing the sentiment here against Gina being the deus ex-machina all the time. I'm so over her.

I kind of felt like both episodes were a bit weak, but I'm starting to see others felt having back-to-back episode sort of dilutes them a bit so maybe that's it. Holt's mother was a scream, and I know I've seen that actress in other things but I can't place her.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Holt's mother was a scream, and I know I've seen that actress in other things but I can't place her.

Holt's mom is L. Scott Caldwell, and she was Rose on Lost. She was also Poole in The Fugitive. She's been in a TON of stuff. 

ETA: I'm totally ready for Gina to get her comeuppance. Or at least have someone - Amy, I hope - get the better of her at some point.

Edited by bethy
  • Love 7

Holt's mom is L. Scott Caldwell, and she was Rose on Lost.

OH! Thank you. And Gina Gershon played Hawkins. That threw me for a minute too. She's had some work done.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

Did Hitchcock call Scully a bitch?  Bwahahaha

Indeed, "Basic Bitch" actually. They've been bantering some "modern slang" back and forth the past few weeks. I doubt either of them truly understands what Cuck or Snoflake means. Actually I'm pretty sure 80% of the people who use those don't know what they mean.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, bethy said:

Holt's mom is L. Scott Caldwell, and she was Rose on Lost. She was also Poole in The Fugitive. She's been in a TON of stuff. 

I too couldn't place her, so I ended up googling. This stupid brain.

I loved both eps. I don't care that they were back to back.

Meeting Holt's mother was outstanding. 

Raymond: That was humor, Mother.
Laverne: I know. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love laughing and laughter.

Laverne: Well, I should be going. Detective. Captain.
Raymond: Your Honor. Detective.
Jake: Captain. Your Honor. Hey, this is fun. Let's do it again. Your Honor. Captain.
Laverne: Humor.

Of course both Amy's and Jake's excitement about meeting her was great, particularly Jake's.

Jake: The founding father's Underoos.
Raymond: There will be no Underoos.
Jake: You went commando?

Raymond: My childhood bedroom is for GOOD detectives who aren't embarrassing themselves.

Raymond: All I'm saying is, she's not interested in skateboarding and soft water drinks.

Raymond: You want me just to say, Cowbunga, Mom!
Jake: Yes. That would be awesome!

I thought the break room story line was ok. The best part was Terry saying, "We have shui'ed the feng out of this place!" No, I take that back. The best part was the bit with Charles trying to get on the stool, with it sliding away as he followed out of frame.

I agree with others about Gina. I was so hoping that she would somehow be bested by, or at least more appreciative of, Amy. I don't think that's ever going to happen. Gina is a boring character-type.

I loved Holt and Jake going undercover at the wine club.

Jake: When it comes to George I'm getting hints of guilty with undertones of lying.
Holt: Oh yeah, and a strong bouquet of… up-to-no-good.

Them battling back and forth with the police siren was hysterical.

In the second ep, I really enjoyed Jake and Rosa's rivalry. Everything about it was great, starting with "Right?" "Right." "Right?" "Right." "Riiiiiiiiight." Jake having siphoned the gas out of her bike and then Rosa having taken the steering wheel was perfect. And I cackled when all the bikes left The Slaughterhouse, followed by the riderless bike that Jake should have been on.

Rosa spiking everything Jake drank was great.

Jake: Oh, that esprains why I no talk butter. HUH! Me having sterk?

I liked the Holt/Amy plot too.

Holt: As you know, my fountain pen is being re-nibbed in Germany.

Holt: I was toying with the idea of using … hand gestures for… emphasis.

Amy was so funny not getting mad at him, but then really getting mad at him.

Amy: It grates my cheese. Grrrrr.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 8
(edited)
22 hours ago, NutmegsDad said:

I think the only other show that does rapid-fire jokes, albeit a bit differently, is MST3K.

Check out Happy Endings.

15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I loved Holt and Jake going undercover at the wine club.

So, Holt's mother was robbed while at Wine Club, and then two days later, Wine Club met again?  That's a lot of Wine Club.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

I can't believe no one has mentioned the conversation between Holt and Amy where she fakes being angry, which sounded like a couple talking about faking orgasms. I did not expect them to use a joke like that with these two characters, but I thought it was hilarious.

• Love 6

Preferred the second episode, but I noticed that this was a case where I really enjoyed the A-plots, but kind of found everything else lacking.  Not horrible mine you, but not their best work.

Pretty much ignored all the stories involving Gina, because it was obvious that she would somehow come out smelling like a rose, at the expense of others.  I get it, show.  She's your favorite.  Doesn't mean you have to make everyone else come off incompetent or moronic.  And, really, would it kill you to have her be the butt of a joke, for once?  I guess that's a futile hope.  Sometimes I feel like it's just Gina's world, and the rest are living in it.  Sigh...

The Holt/Amy bit was fun at least, and I like that Amy has taken a step to being more open towards yelling at Holt, if he does something that deserves it.  Now she just needs to know when to stop!  Melissa Fumero continues to be the show's secret weapon.

Always wanted to meet Holt's mom after the first "your honor" phone bit in season one, so I'm glad it happened!  Great casting (Rose!), a good use of Jake and bonding with her, and a good look at Holt and his relationship with her.  I still like how this show is willing to make Holt more fallible, and ends up lashing out or being petty, when he gets upset.  It's make him more human and not just an one-dimensional straight man that he easily could have become in lesser hands.

Always love the Jake/Rosa partnership, and seeing them at odds, but still get it together at the end was nice.  Although I really doubt Jake would be OK in real life, if he ingested that many caffeine pills!  And I still love that Rosa is a Nancy Meyers' fan.  Knew they wouldn't be joining that task force though, so I figured Gina Gershon's character was going to end up being dirty.

As much as I love this show, I do agree that two episodes in a row seems to actually be a strange hinderance.  It's a rare show where I feel like binging might not be the way to view it.  Not sure why.

• Love 4

I teared up at the end of "Your Honor" with the scene between Holt and his mom.

"Mother Lover" a reference to the music video he did with Justin Timberlake on SNL.

I was wondering where I saw the actress who played Laverne Holt. Thanks to Bethy for reminding me that she was "Rose" from Lost. I also remember her from The Fugitive.

On 5/16/2017 at 7:31 PM, betweenthebanter said:

Another storyline that the writers love coming back to is , "never meet your hero, because they will always disappoint you."

It's like "One of the kids gets a swelled head" on The Brady Bunch or a "hostage situation" episode on Night Court.

Jake and Rosa is my favorite dynamic so I liked "Slaughterhouse" a bit more. Loved seeing their competition and Rosa spiking his water/half & half/gum with caffeine!

Didn't expect Gina Gershon so I was pleasantly surprised. I was definitely not surprised however that she was crooked.

26 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

As much as I love this show, I do agree that two episodes in a row seems to actually be a strange hinderance.  It's a rare show where I feel like binging might not be the way to view it.  Not sure why.

I think because certain things get repeated like that was 2 Scully and Hitchcock B plots in a row.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

How did Holt know to whom the fingerprints found in his mother's apartment belonged (her secret paramour)? That would mean that he was in the system.

I think Holt mentioned that the guy had some past run-in with the law, but I can't remember what it was. Something minor.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Always love the Jake/Rosa partnership, and seeing them at odds, but still get it together at the end was nice.  Although I really doubt Jake would be OK in real life, if he ingested that many caffeine pills!

I know it's a sitcom, so reality doesn't apply... but it really bothered me that Rosa was intentionally poisoning Jake with what IRL would likely be fatal doses of caffeine.  

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Pretty much ignored all the stories involving Gina, because it was obvious that she would somehow come out smelling like a rose, at the expense of others.  I get it, show.  She's your favorite.  Doesn't mean you have to make everyone else come off incompetent or moronic.  And, really, would it kill you to have her be the butt of a joke, for once?  I guess that's a futile hope.  Sometimes I feel like it's just Gina's world, and the rest are living in it.  Sigh...

You will get your wish in next season's heist, when she is out-smarted by Hitchcock and Scully.

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:
17 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

How did Holt know to whom the fingerprints found in his mother's apartment belonged (her secret paramour)? That would mean that he was in the system.

I think Holt mentioned that the guy had some past run-in with the law, but I can't remember what it was. Something minor.

He got a parking ticket outside his Mother's home recently. As for fingerprints, they could have taken them off the wine glass he was using and compared them to ones in the house.

• Love 1

I loved every scene with Holt and his mother. They are great. Scully and Hitchcock are getting better and better. It was great that they were right about the break room. Jake and Rosa's friendship is one of my favorite things about this show so I liked that they had a storyline together.

I was okay with Gina winning because she didn't instigate anything. She was minding her own business and dealing with her problem the way she wanted to and Amy  was the one who jumped in with the lecture and car maintenance lesson. Gina didn't ask her to get involved and tried to say no. Then Amy was the one who thought it was a good idea to vandalize Gina's car. Gina didn't egg her on, dare her to do it, or trick her into doing it. Amy brought everything on herself. And besides at the end, she won what she wanted: Gina learned to change a tire.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I know it's a sitcom, so reality doesn't apply... but it really bothered me that Rosa was intentionally poisoning Jake with what IRL would likely be fatal doses of caffeine.  

It's especially badly timed because there was a news story recently about a teenager who died from too many energy drinks in a short period of time.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Rockstar99435 said:

I was okay with Gina winning because she didn't instigate anything. She was minding her own business and dealing with her problem the way she wanted to and Amy  was the one who jumped in with the lecture and car maintenance lesson. Gina didn't ask her to get involved and tried to say no. Then Amy was the one who thought it was a good idea to vandalize Gina's car. Gina didn't egg her on, dare her to do it, or trick her into doing it. Amy brought everything on herself. And besides at the end, she won what she wanted: Gina learned to change a tire.

I see what you're saying it's just that most of the time when Gina does instigate stuff, she still wins. Even though Amy might have brought everything on herself and deserved everything she got this episode, in comparison there are just so many times where Gina is the one doing the crap and either facing no consequences or winning from it.

I would have had a lot less of a problem with the Gina/Amy storyline if Amy had actually slashed Gina's tire, then when Amy felt bad and tried to go fix it Gina had already done it (by messing with all of Amy's tires, like she did in the episode). That would have made me feel that the characters were being treated as equals by the writers. Instead though, we got Detective Amy not realizing that there was a car that looked exactly like Gina's in the lot, so that Gina could keep "schooling" Amy.

A lot of the time I'm 50/50 on Gina.  I liked her role in her storylines during the two episodes prior to these, then in these two episodes she annoyed me. I just think its never a good thing that so many of us can point to Gina and immediately know that she's the writers' favorite, based on how her actions are treated in comparison with the rest of the main cast.  For example, Gina got to call out Amy at least twice this episode for being condescending to her about changing the tires. Comparatively,  when is Gina going to get called out on all those awful jokes that she makes about Amy (most likely never).

Edited by betweenthebanter
  • Love 5

The cold open to episode 19 was great. I always like when the show has the criminals cooperate because they're annoyed with Jake, or because they've been caught up in the moment. Jake panicking about being trapped was very funny.

Holt's mother was really funny. The actress really nailed Holt's mannerisms and stoicness. Love Holt's, "...okay, never mind. Peralta, come into my office, please," reaction to Amy's awkwardness. Poor Amy.

Jake trying to learn more about Holt is always fun, and the added twist of Jake having to hide the uncomfortable truth that Holt's mother was dating someone worked well. And of course, Holt sucks at dealing with real emotions that blindside him, so he tries to arrest his mother.

The B plot, with Terry, Rosa and Charles redesigning the break room, was a bit short on laughs. They make it look Ikea display room nice, but it's impractical and Hitchcock and Scully immediately recognise that? Okay. That's... kind of all there was. I did enjoy Rosa actually getting into the idea of the three of them having a renovation TV show, though.

Oh, and then there was Gina being right. Again. At Amy's expense. Again. Enough of that. Amy's adorableness is wasted on Gina.

I do like episodes that focus on Jake and Rosa's friendship, and I think they managed to keep the competitive side of this one just on the line of being funny. They were a bit too mean to each other, once or twice.

Gina Gershon was well cast as a badass cop who's secretly dirty. I presume she's going to figure in to the end of the season, because finding out she was corrupt in the last scene wasn't really a satisfying end to the storyline. What they've got is a bent cop, who has all the resources and independence to do whatever she likes. That's something I'd enjoy seeing the gang deal with.

The running gag of Rosa dosing everything Jake was eating or drinking with caffeine was amusing. And Andy Samberg got to have fun with hopped up Jake. "My brain wants its fast juice!" Loved the bit where Jake's drinking the milk and Holt comes in to ask what they're up to. Rosa responds "being normal. Why?" Heh.

Hitchcock and Scully fighting and licking bagels and whatnot was pretty gross. But I do think these were the best uses of 'cuck' and 'snowflake' that I've heard. Imbuing both words with the idiocy that they deserve. But yet again, fucking Gina is the one with the answer. 

The Holt and Amy stuff was cute, with Holt trying to get her to stand up to him, and Amy being her usual dorky, obsequious self. I don't think "it grates my cheese" is going to catch on, though. Loved her finally getting angry at him, and immediately apologising for going too far. "This is all very new for me."

6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

he added twist of Jake having to hide the uncomfortable truth that Holt's mother was dating someone worked well.

It was kind of dopey for Holt's mother to ask Jake to keep her dating secret.  As a judge, she must realixe that it could interfere with the investigation and that partners (as Holt and Jake were working the case together) need to share information.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2017 at 2:34 PM, RobertDeSneero said:
On 5/17/2017 at 9:42 PM, thuganomics85 said:

You will get your wish in next season's heist, when she is out-smarted by Hitchcock and Scully.

No matter who wins next year's heist, I guarantee that she will still somehow come out ahead. 

On May 17, 2017 at 9:02 AM, tennisgurl said:

"Why would Amanda and Iris have traded houses if their kitchens were exactly the same?!?!" I'm with Rosa on this one. The Holiday is delightful damn it!

I have to admire Jakes commitment to the Die Hard franchise. Die Hard 5 is awful, and I love Die Hard!

The Holiday is delightful!  Especially the tent in the little girls room.  Much better than Die Hard!

Gina did get hit by a bus so she doesn't always win.

• Love 3
On 5/17/2017 at 1:37 AM, Traveller519 said:

On 5/17/2017 at 4:55 AM, sweetandsour said:

I have to agree with you on this one.  I love the show, and I love watching episodes in a row on hulu, but I have a hard time watching episodes new to me back-to-back for some reason.

Unless you're watching live, there's no reason you can't take a break between episodes.  With the exception of the last three (Eps 21, 21, and 22), they're usually self-contained, so I don't see a reason not to.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:53 PM, iMonrey said:

OH! Thank you. And Gina Gershon played Hawkins. That threw me for a minute too. She's had some work done.

I loved her all-too-short appearance on Z Nation.

On 5/17/2017 at 3:40 PM, peeayebee said:

Raymond: You want me just to say, Cowbunga, Mom!
Jake: Yes. That would be awesome!

And then Holt said "Cowabunga, Mom!"!!!

On 5/18/2017 at 0:20 AM, April Bloodgate said:

I can't believe no one has mentioned the conversation between Holt and Amy where she fakes being angry, which sounded like a couple talking about faking orgasms. I did not expect them to use a joke like that with these two characters, but I thought it was hilarious.

YASSSSS!!!

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:20 PM, April Bloodgate said:

Loved this.  Very well done.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, peeayebee said:

Jake: The founding father's Underoos.
Raymond: There will be no Underoos.
Jake: You went commando?

And loved this.