Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Oathkeeper

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

“Dany balances justice and mercy. Jaime tasks Brienne with his honor. Jon secures volunteers while Bran, Jojen, Meera, and Hodor stumble on shelter.”

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into a potential spoiler you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

Don't hurt Hodor!

Well, that was interesting. Looks like Bran's storyline is changing considerably.

And the previews make it look like Bran & Co. could be reunited with Jon Snow next week?!?

I'm still reeling a bit...this strikes me as the biggest departure the show has taken so far from the books. And really...almost this entire episode was a departure. 

• Love 2

Agreed. This was a huge departure. 

However...it gave us a huge look into the future with the actual White Walkers. Because evidently, those other gross things that we THOUGHT were White Walkers? Not really them. 

The WW at the end reminded me of The Gentlemen from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Hush). I'm going to legit have bad dreams of sky blue baby eyes. 

• Love 2

I'm still reeling a bit...this strikes me as the biggest departure the show has taken so far from the books. And really...almost this entire episode was a departure.

I agree, but I have to say that I kind of like it...especially where Jon Snow and Bran are concerned.  I always thought their stories were the weakest in this section of the books.  To me Jon's doesn't pick up until the wilding attack on Castle Black and Bran's lacks a lot of urgency and drama pretty much throughout.  Adding Locke into Jon Snow's storyline and having Bran encounter some drama during his storyline definitely adds some tension to things.

• Love 7

I agree, but I have to say that I kind of like it...especially where Jon Snow and Bran are concerned.  I always thought their stories were the weakest in this section of the books.  To me Jon's doesn't pick up until the wilding attack on Castle Black and Bran's lacks a lot of urgency and drama pretty much throughout.  Adding Locke into Jon Snow's storyline and having Bran encounter some drama during his storyline definitely adds some tension to things.

Same here. I'm all for being kept on my toes as a viewer. It's a little disconcerting but now I'm just dying for next week! 

Very good point about the White Walkers, Mya Stone. I'm all a-flutter over these new developments!

Edited by matilda76
  • Love 2

A decade of immersing myself in the books and then the show and the books again--and suddenly?  I'm a virgin again!  I'm Unsullied.  SO much new, unexpected, exciting, and I have no idea where it's all going.  LOVE IT  !!

• Love 9

I thought this was actually a pretty good departure, too. I don't like the idea of Jon knowing he's beyond the wall (and that Rickon is alive), because it changes a lot of his motivations later on (such as when Stannis offers him Winterfell... if they even keep that now), but it adds quite a bit of dynamism to Bran's storyline.

Agreed. This was a huge departure. 

However...it gave us a huge look into the future with the actual White Walkers. Because evidently, those other gross things that we THOUGHT were White Walkers? Not really them. 

Interesting.  That wasn't my understanding of the scene, more like there are different kinds of WW.

In any event, this episode will definitely take some processing. If they actually do make Bran and Jon meet, I hope the show runners have thought hard about the implications.

Interesting.  That wasn't my understanding of the scene, more like there are different kinds of WW.

In any event, this episode will definitely take some processing. If they actually do make Bran and Jon meet, I hope the show runners have thought hard about the implications.

True. To liken it to a mafia family, I guess the Wights (freshly reanimated) are soldiers. The horseback ones are capos, and the ones sacrificing the babies? The bosses. 

Yeah - I interpreted the one turning the baby as a White Walker priest or officer. His head bumps even looked like a crown, though I don't know that's what it was. We know that there's some form of organization or hierarchy in the books, but (if this comes from GRRM) this adds quite a bit more info.

My theory was that the White Walkers were created by the Children of the Forest sometime after the sundering of Dorne. They were meant as a weapon against the First Men, but somehow escaped their control before the peace was finally signed at the Isle of faces.

• Love 1

My theory was that the White Walkers were created by the Children of the Forest sometime after the sundering of Dorne. They were meant as a weapon against the First Men, but somehow escaped their control before the peace was finally signed at the Isle of faces.

According to the wiki it was 4,000 years between the peace and when the walkers showed up. They do seem to take their time, but that's a long time.

To liken it to a mafia family, I guess the Wights (freshly reanimated) are soldiers. The horseback ones are capos, and the ones sacrificing the babies? The bosses. 

Yep, that was my impression too. Interesting...

Do we think that maybe all or most of the "real" white walkers are Craster's sons? So Craster is basically personally responsible for the apocalypse? Fuck that guy.

After the Hound's line about who it is that names their swords, I'm going to giggle anytime anyone says anything about naming a sword, ever.

• Love 7

According to the wiki it was 4,000 years between the peace and when the walkers showed up. They do seem to take their time, but that's a long time.

But it would make sense if it began with a single white walker who was barely self-aware and spent, say, the first couple thousand years gaining sentience and understanding his powers, then multiplying, and then building an army of wights.

• Love 1

Me no likey. I was having a real hard time this week dealing with last week's.... interpretation of the books.  I don't need word for word faithfulness, but I didn't trust the showrunners after last week. This... this did not help.

• Love 3

It's crashed. Nothing to see there. 

Seems up for me. I clicked through the ep discussion thread arbitrarily, and saw:

How awesome would it be to have a freaky hot woman come into your bedroom as a young man?  I bet she swallows.

Yeah, I think I'll stay hereabouts, thanks.

• Love 5

Me no likey. I was having a real hard time this week dealing with last week's.... interpretation of the books.  I don't need word for word faithfulness, but I didn't trust the showrunners after last week. This... this did not help.

I'm going to try to lawyer you. You ready? 

The Jon/Bran stuff? It makes sense to give Bran something more to do. In the last 3 books, he has what - 5/6 chapters TOTAL? They needed to fluff his story. It makes sense to have him intersecting with Jon in some ways - and we still don't know if they'll see each other face to face or not. I'm rolling with it. 

Jon's ADWD speech seems to have rolled up into this season, which is fine. It gives you more of a reason to believe he's gained the Watch's trust enough to be voted LC. I'll go with that, too. 

Plus, we now know where Ghost has been. Poor Ghost. :( 

(What I won't go for? More gratuitous violence and sexual abuse towards women. Blah to that. Blah to Rast.) 

I loved the insight we got to the WW's hierarchy. Creepy and really ramps the stakes up.

And the Olenna/Marg stuff? Great to have their POV. The rest was pretty close with the books. 

• Love 12

Yeah, whereas I rolled my eyes throughout the whole "where are my draaaaagons???!!" nonsense back in Season 2, I was at the edge of my seat tonight when I realized that they weren't gonna cut away from the WW.

I am so frustrated with the slow pace of GGRM's writing that I wouldn't mind if he continued the story on the show at this point.

• Love 2

Seems up for me. I clicked through the ep discussion thread arbitrarily, and saw:

Yeah, I think I'll stay hereabouts, thanks.

And now you know why I'm sticking here, too. 

It's reading more and more like YouTube comments over there. :( 

Count me in as a book reader who thinks this departure works. But I have not had much trouble with many of the departures. It makes certain characters' events more interesting than what they would have been if they tried to stay faithful.

• Love 2

I'm going to try to lawyer you. You ready? 

The Jon/Bran stuff? It makes sense to give Bran something more to do. In the last 3 books, he has what - 5/6 chapters TOTAL? They needed to fluff his story. It makes sense to have him intersecting with Jon in some ways - and we still don't know if they'll see each other face to face or not. I'm rolling with it. 

Jon's ADWD speech seems to have rolled up into this season, which is fine. It gives you more of a reason to believe he's gained the Watch's trust enough to be voted LC. I'll go with that, too. 

Plus, we now know where Ghost has been. Poor Ghost. :( 

(What I won't go for? More gratuitous violence and sexual abuse towards women. Blah to that. Blah to Rast.) 

I loved the insight we got to the WW's hierarchy. Creepy and really ramps the stakes up.

And the Olenna/Marg stuff? Great to have their POV. The rest was pretty close with the books. 

I didn't dislike just because of CHANGE, but I didn't like the changes. My suspicion about the babies and WW was fine staying head canon. I didn't need to see that. One of my biggest OH HELL NO things is babies in danger.  Bran could have done something, but this? Nope. I don't need to see more rape (what is wrong with the showrunners?) and I certainly don't have to worry for the next 7 days that it's happening to Meera too.  Poor Hodor.  That was almost as bad as the baby.

The QOT confession? Sure, that was a change. Fine. I can live with that. The whole Jaime back early, how Pod and Brienne left together with Bronn's help? Fine.  Margaery having secret time with Tommen? Okey dokey.  Jon going to Craster's?  Well, that's starting to push it, but I'll give some leeway. But everything put together, especially all the Bran and Co. stuff? My head feels like it's going to explode.

• Love 3

My gut reaction is hated it, not so much because it's a huge departure, but because the episode spent so much time on yet another long disgusting scene with more naked women, rape, degradation, and my bad ass Meera was victimized. FUCK that. Ugh.

I do think they want to postpone are even eliminate Bran being in a tree (and it's hard not to understand that), and I've been rooting so hard for the Stark siblings to reunite, but I just cannot imagine how that impacts the big picture story. Also I have to admit I love being spoiled, I read the end of books, so being back in "unsullied" land blows. I hate not knowing whatever exists to be known. Heh.

• Love 4

Wow the editing at the beginning was incredibly ham-handed.  Tyrion says "Sansa couldn't kill" cut to Sansa talking to Littlefinger.  Littlefinger says he likes his new friends and their friendship is Growing Strong, house Tyrell's words.  Cut to Olenna basically confessing to the murder.  And they spelled out almost exactly how the murder went down, like we were on an episode of CSI Westeros.

I guess this confirms that in-universe, Jaime didn't rape Cercei last week, since it was never mentioned or alluded to.

I liked the setup for giving Brienne her sword, and the complete lack of smarmy love dialog between her and Jaime.  The actors played it really well, so it could have just been interpreted as respect and friendship rather than some awkward unrequited love bullshit.  Also, Podrick's pairing off with Brienne made much more sense than in the book, where he just followed her like a lost puppy.

The entire Craster's Keep storyline seems like filler.  I have a hard time believing Jon will meet up with Bran and then let him go.

No Stannis this week, which was probably good because we wonder less about why he is still puttering around on Dragonstone instead of going to the wall.  Good thing for him that Mance "I'll light the biggest fire the North has ever seen" Rayder is also moving at a glacial pace.

Edited to add:  forgot the Marge-in-Tommen's room scene.  I thought I was watching and Adam Sandler movie.  Thank goodness she didn't do anythign more than kiss him on the forehead.  Being a teenage boy, you know where his hand went the moment the candles went out.

Edited by mac123x

I do think they want to postpone are even eliminate Bran being in a tree (and it's hard not to understand that), and I've been rooting so hard for the Stark siblings to reunite, but I just cannot imagine how that impacts the big picture story. Also I have to admit I love being spoiled, I read the end of books, so being back in "unsullied" land blows. I hate not knowing whatever exists to be known. Heh.

Man, I love being Unsullied again. That's part of what got me so wrapped up in True Detective - I was leaning forward with my stomach clenched with equal parts dread and anticipation. They got my full attention tonight. 

• Love 4

Wow the editing at the beginning was incredibly ham-handed. Tyrion says "Sansa couldn't kill" cut to Sansa talking to Littlefinger. Littlefinger says he likes his new friends and their friendship is Growing Strong, house Tyrell's words. Cut to Olenna basically confessing to the murder. And they spelled out almost exactly how the murder went down, like we were on an episode of CSI Westeros.

Funny you should notice the editing now, it's always been that way. I have no problem w it, especially sinoe this show struggles w cohesion (so many characters and settings) and pacing.

But I definitely wasn't impressed with the reveal either. Subtlety has never been their forte.

The writers penchant for long, tedious monologues has long been a sore point for me (eg, Catelyn about Jon, on the way to the twins, or Talissa about her nursing experience, and many others). But the worse offenders are those of insignificant characters, the absolute worst being Alton Lannisters reminiscence about some tournament. The new Craster's ramblings are right up there.

ETA: Also, for someone who was preaching caution to Margeary a couple of episodes ago, Lady Olenna sure loud and glib about her guilt.

Edited by Haldebrandt
  • Love 1

I'm with some of the other book walkers on the gratuituous rape scenes - ENOUGH. We get it, the guys taking over Craster's Keep are worse than Craster. And stop tormenting Hodor.  And what the hell happened to Summer? Poor ((Ghost)). I think he's going to make a meal out of Rast when he gets free.

About the only thing that was true to the books was Jaime giving Oathkeeper to Brienne.  We got one 'Ser My Lady' from Pod, so I'll be happy with that. Oh, and Ser Pounce the cat made an appearance. Loved the throwaway line about Joff wanting to skin it and feed it to Tommen.  That twisted purple corpse was a total freak.

My favorite moments tonight were with Jaime.  His scene with Tyrion - well done.  And the meeting with Brienne and then her departure - I skipped back to watch it again.  Just fabulous.

Dany's bored me for years in the books. Show Dany's not making a fan of me either. But I did like nailing the masters hands to the crosses.

• Love 1

What made the white walkers so much scarier in this episode is the way they were shot out-of-focus or through the ice/mist most of the time. Instead of seeing a guy in a rubber suit, we see the stuff of nightmares - the things we spot in the corner of our eyes, in the shadows just out of reach of the light. It's the monster in the dark that scares you; under the light, it's just some bushes, or a flag flapping in the wind.

And to see an abandoned baby crying in the snow, and then carried off and turned? That's ten million years of human evolution making your stomach churn right there.

Edited by Independent George
  • Love 8

Well, neither Jaime nor Cersei were acting like what happened in the Sept was rape.  I guess all that confirms is that the show runners/writers/directors didn't see it that way.  But I think it's fascinating that they were so out of touch about the one scene that's really generated widespread discussion this season.  

I'm glad we're not going to be subjected to a whole season or two (I hope) of Bran living in a tree.  I'm expecting Bran and Jon to have a near-miss at Craster's.  But I'm anxious to see where they take this new twist.

What made the white walkers so much scarier in this episode is the way they were shot out-of-focus or through the ice/mist most of the time. Instead of seeing a guy in a rubber suit, we see the stuff of nightmares - the things we spot in the corner of our eyes, in the shadows just out of reach of the light. It's the monster in the dark that scares you; under the light, it's just some bushes, or a flag flapping in the wind.

And to see an abandoned baby crying in the snow, and then carried off and turned? That's ten million years of human evolution making your stomach churn right there.

Great, now I won't be able to sleep tonight.

The scene between Tyrion and Jaime in the prison cell may be my favorite of the whole series so far.  So glad we're finally getting to see more of that relationship that hasn't really been in evidence since early season 1, and then only briefly.

Learning that Margaery comes by her skill at manipulation naturally from Lady Olenna was FANTASTIC!!  Not surprising, but fantastic.

I didn't mind the divergences from the books much, except the Bran story.  It's like they can't stand the fact that there's a Stark left who hasn't been tormented.

HANDS OFF HODOR PEOPLE!!!

Finally, will someone give Michelle MacLaren a directing Emmy please already?

• Love 2

Apparently HBO says that's the Night King.  Though the name sounds familiar, I am far from an expert in the story so I had to look it up.  If this is true, the implications are... interesting (that's an understatement).

(So how did the baby survive the presumably lengthy trip to WW homeland?  Oh never mind just go with it.)

• Love 1

While I agree on not needing another bunch of rape scenes and found the whole Rast sequence tiresome, I'm hopeful they will find something interesting to do with Bran's story and I'm fine with them changing things up. It may or may not create problems down the road, but we're heading towards territory in the books that becomes extremely tedious, so in the interest of people staying interested enough in the show for it to get to the end of the story, I'm down with altering some of the bits that particularly bog down the books.

Locke looked familiar to me, but I'm not sure why. Is he someone we know or a new character? I can't place him from either the books or the show. He's not the guy who cut Jaime's hand off is he?

Yay for the appearance of Mr. Pounce! I'm guessing Tommen is going to be asking granddad why Tommen woke up stuck to his bed.

• Love 1

So, the Margaery/Tommen stuff was super creepy.  I always pictured their relationship as more like a kid and his favorite babysitter, so it definitely turned out a lot more molest-y than I was expecting.  Like, did they really need to throw in that line about it being "[their] little secret?"  I feel like something's gone terribly wrong if I'm finding Littlefinger's behavior less overtly creepy than Margaery's.

Locke looked familiar to me, but I'm not sure why. Is he someone we know or a new character? I can't place him from either the books or the show. He's not the guy who cut Jaime's hand off is he?

He is indeed the guy who cut Jaime's hand off.  His voice sounded different, at least to me, but it would make sense for him to cover up his accent if he's going there to do undercover work for the Boltons.

• Love 2

Was the implication that Lady Olenna was supposed to marry Aemon Targaryen? I don't

remember that from the books, but they're of an age...

Also, in the books I thought Margaery's knowledge of Joffrey's murderer was more ambiguous. Or am I remembering that wrong as well?

• Love 1

So, the Margaery/Tommen stuff was super creepy.  I always pictured their relationship as more like a kid and his favorite babysitter, so it definitely turned out a lot more molest-y than I was expecting.  Like, did they really need to throw in that line about it being "[their] little secret?"  I feel like something's gone terribly wrong if I'm finding Littlefinger's behavior less overtly creepy than Margaery's.

He is indeed the guy who cut Jaime's hand off.  His voice sounded different, at least to me, but it would make sense for him to cover up his accent if he's going there to do undercover work for the Boltons.

Thanks.....couldn't quite remember. So I guess he's part of the Reek storyline.

I kinda wish they hadn't aged Tommen up and stuck to Marg being more the mommy figure who isn't a batshit crazy drunk, because this does kinda push her into Littlefingeresque skeevy territory. However, it's probably a smart approach for the character. Show Tommen is just at the right age that a bit of side boob would be infinitely more interesting than anything dear old mommy has to offer, let alone what Marg is hinting at.

Was the implication that Lady Olenna was supposed to marry Aemon Targaryen? I don't

remember that from the books, but they're of an age...

Also, in the books I thought Margaery's knowledge of Joffrey's murderer was more ambiguous. Or am I remembering that wrong as well?

Olenna brings up almost being betrothed to a Targ when she meets Sansa, but there's nothing more to go on in the books. Aemon is 100+ so I don't think they're really of an age. Maybe one of Egg's sons?

Without a Tyrell POV, everything is ambiguous but I do think Marg was in on it in the book. They were drinking from the same goblet, so it'd be dangerous if she wasn't. But on the show they both had their own cups so I guess it works.

Do we think that maybe all or most of the "real" white walkers are Craster's sons? So Craster is basically personally responsible for the apocalypse? Fuck that guy.

Maybe Craster wasn't the only wildling who sacrificed his children. Also, according to TV Tropes, the lead WW could be the Great Other, basically the counterpart to the Lord of Light, although I doubt that.

Anyway, about the episode itself: it was alright. The scene between Jaime and Tyrion was great. I chuckled at the "Kingslayer brothers" part. Someone needs to do a ROM hack of Super Mario Bros. and call it "Super Kingslayer Bros.". Would Tyrion grow if he eats a mushroom?

I do like them changing the storylines a bit, otherwise Bran wouldn't have anything to do except become a tree.

I didn't like all the rape stuff at Crasters. Isn't there enough gratuitous violence and nudity already? And those bastards better keep their hands off Meera and leave Hodor alone.

• Love 3

Marge & Tommen, that was creepy.  I wanted to marry her off to LIttlefinger so they could be pervy together.  At least Sansa doesn't trust him, so that's progress.  Speaking of creepy, Burn Gorman makes for a decent villain.  He appeared to be in the early stages of turning into Colonel Kurtz, though as noted upthread, Jarl Borg got to the talking skull act first.

At last, SOME payoff for the Others/White Walkers.  I was curious to see if their Fortress of Solitude matched what Bran's vision was in the first book; it did have that greenish Northern Lights halo.

I was thinking the same thing:  so the WWs are an army of Crasterlings?  Oy.

Jaime's scenes with Bronn, Tyrion, and Brienne were terrific, which makes the rape scene from last week even more frustrating.

Kingslayer Brothers?  I'd listen to that band.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

Don't hurt Hodor!

Well, that was interesting. Looks like Bran's storyline is changing considerably.

And the previews make it look like Bran & Co. could be reunited with Jon Snow next week?!?

Agreed. If the Starks, and their wolves, are united, it basicly jettisons some of thestorylines that seemed crucial. Perhpas instead of planning an attack on the Boltons and getting shivved for it, Jon will join Bran on his trek north.

Edited to add:  forgot the Marge-in-Tommen's room scene.  I thought I was watching and Adam Sandler movie.  Thank goodness she didn't do anythign more than kiss him on the forehead.  Being a teenage boy, you know where his hand went the moment the candles went out.

He's not a teenager, he's an adolescent. And that was what in this world we call "grooming", complete with the exhortation to "let this be our little secret".

I don't think GRRM would allow the writers to come up with their own take on the white walkers, so i think this episode just gave us a spoiler from Book 6.

Edited by SilverStormm
Merged last 2 posts.
  • Love 1

There is no practical difference between the terms, adolescent or teenager. Besides, it is difficult to tell how old tv Tommen is since all the characters' ages have been altered by the tv casting. The actor playing Tommen is 16, while the book character is around 7 years and book Margaery is 16 when the series starts. 

Also, I certainly did not see Margaery "grooming" Tommen as defined in our world. Yes, she is acting in her own self-interest and self-preservation, but Margaery is not trying to harm or exploit him. Rather she is trying to establish a positive relationship with Tommen because they are likely to be married soon. Anyone about to marry a stranger would likely do the same, the only reason that Margaery has to ask Tommen to keep it a secret is because Cersei is dangerous, controlling, and vicious. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

I wasn't upset by the changes.  At least it gives Bran and Jon something to do.

I thought the rest of the episode was well done.  Loved Margaery and Tommen (and Ser Pounce!), Jaime and Brienne (and Pod!), Jaime and Bronn, Missande and Grey Worm, Olenna and Margaery, Jaime and Tyrion, etc.  The writers cleared up any confusion about who killed Joff.  (It may not have been subtle, but the Unsullied couldn't connect the dots.)  They revealed where Ghost was.  They let us know Sam told Jon about seeing Bran.  

And they could not help themselves...more gratuitous nudity and violence against women.  Ugh.

I was in turns fantastically bored or fantastically disgusted, although I did like the WW scene because I'm curious about what their game plan is. Also, Margaery is too smart to really have had no idea that her grandmother was responsible for Joffrey's death.

Edited by glitterpants