Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: God Johnson

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:49 PM, CheshireCat said:

I don't get why they established a supernatural character only to then make him human and not use his powers most of the time and especially not when using his powers would set the show apart and would be a lot of fun.

I agree. I feel like Lucifer is the devil in name only at this point. He's basically just Castle with red eyes.

Even Maze and Amendial and even  Mother all act more human than anything which kind of defeats the purpose of this being a show about angels and demons on earth. I mean, their biggest challenge is going home? WTF? That's so...pedestrian and, so far the way the show's been going about it, a bit boring. I think one of the reasons I like Linda's scene's the best is that she seems to bring in the otherworldliness of it all.

I don't need Lucy to be rushing around in a cap saving the day, but when all the devil does is go around moping about his daddy issues and occasionally making his eyes red, it makes me wonder why he's supposed to be so bad or scary. He's just a glorified Twilight vampire, all the bite taken out of him to make him a love interest to a human.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I agree. I feel like Lucifer is the devil in name only at this point. He's basically just Castle with red eyes.

Even Maze and Amendial and even  Mother all act more human than anything which kind of defeats the purpose of this being a show about angels and demons on earth. I mean, their biggest challenge is going home? WTF? That's so...pedestrian and, so far the way the show's been going about it, a bit boring. I think one of the reasons I like Linda's scene's the best is that she seems to bring in the otherworldliness of it all.

I don't need Lucy to be rushing around in a cap saving the day, but when all the devil does is go around moping about his daddy issues and occasionally making his eyes red, it makes me wonder why he's supposed to be so bad or scary. He's just a glorified Twilight vampire, all the bite taken out of him to make him a love interest to a human.

it doesn't help that the human he's interested in makes him powerless. 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that. It was what I was thinking of - this episode could have been a Castle episode. Of course, Castle would have gotten himself committed to the asylum without violence and the dagger wouldn't have been celestial but from a treasure hunt or something. But otherwise you wouldn't have needed to make any changes.

On ‎24‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 4:13 PM, johntfs said:

I think it's funny that Chloe has to rescue him because her mere presence nerfs his ability to rescue himself.

Beyond that, Lucifer isn't a superhero show.  If you're going to have a show with a protagonist constantly using supernatural abilities, you're going to need opposition that can bring a reasonable challenge despite those abilities.  I really don't want a show where Lucifer has to battle the angel/demon/monster of the week.

I see you point and I guess, I don't want that either. Still, I think they should at least find a balance and not have every episode end with him being in Chloe's presence so that we know that he won't be able to do anything. What does he have all his powers for when they only use them so that he ignites a dagger and occasionally asks someone what their deepest and darkest desire is?

Edited by CheshireCat
7 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I think they should at least find a balance and not have every episode end with him being in Chloe's presence so that we know that he won't be able to do anything. 

They do let Lucifer go Full Fallen Angel on occasion; they just seem to want to ration those moments, probably for the reasons @johntfs suggests. Just this season, I can recall these scenes off the top of my head (so there are likely a couple more I've forgotten):

• While the team hunts for the killer from the drug-transporting charter airline, the killer finds Lucifer, who crushes the man's gun, overpowers him and then utterly cows him with a flash of the Devil's Game Face.
  • During their search for Chloe's antidote, Lucifer and Dan have been taken into the back room of an artist (who's actually an underworld money launderer) for some ass-kicking. Lucifer's been "following Dan's lead" and not resisting, but when he explains this to a beaten (and now infuriated) Dan and gets told to get them out of the situation, he lays waste to a whole room of henchmen.
  • No devilish violence in this one, but Lucifer has Chloe chase Professor Tim McKay (forget the character's name) so she'll get far enough away from him that he can rip open a locked lab door, walk through a room full of poison gas and rescue two college students.
  • And of course in the episode after "God Johnson" (so I'll spoiler-tag it here),
Spoiler

Lucifer's epic concrete-splitting fistfight with Mazikeen, though we mostly see the intensity of that fight in its aftermath.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2017 at 8:59 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

It was nice to hear "What If God Was One Of Us" again. It brought back fond memories of the late, lamented Joan of Arcadia.

I had forgotten about it's use on that show (it has been 12 years!) -- Fare thee well, Mrs Landing-god!

• Love 1

I've just been catching up on this season, and still think poor Tricia Helfer is criminally underrated as Mom. I think she's fantastic and very funny. But I love this entire cast.

But as a big fan of the wonderful TImothy O, my single favorite moment of this episode, however, had to be the slow-mo escape of Lucifer and Dad as they strolled through the out-of-control asylum, with Lucifer smirking even while good old Dad just looked around with sweet appreciation. Good times!