Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: God Johnson

Lucifer struggles with his feelings when he realizes the prime suspect of a murder at an insane asylum might be his father.

/cue miami vice soundtrack.

• Love 1

I want to tape this one without the commercials.  Seemed to have 2x or 3x more than usual and they really (for me) broke up the flow of the show.  "God's" eyes were mesmerizing in the best way possible; I liked that he was from Odessa, that just tickled me. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

I want to tape this one without the commercials.  Seemed to have 2x or 3x more than usual and they really (for me) broke up the flow of the show.  "God's" eyes were mesmerizing in the best way possible; I liked that he was from Odessa, that just tickled me. 

I agree.  The number of commercials in this episode just seemed excessive.

I'm sure it wasn't the case and is just an indicator of how good the episode was but I kinda would like to see it all the way through without the distractions.

• Love 1

Knew God Johnson was going to end up not being "Dad", but Timothy Omundson was still a fun bit of casting there, and played off Tom Ellis and Tricia Helfer very well.  And I didn't see the whole "belt buckle being part of the flaming sword" twist coming, so that was a nice reveal.

Lucifer setting himself up to get locked into a psych ward was a pretty fun idea.  Actually didn't predict the killer, since I don't remember even seeing the nurse until the reveal.

Loved them bringing up the "What if God is One of Us?" and Lucifer's distain over it.  I still want to know his thoughts about "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."  If I had to guess, it would probably going down something like "What a crock!  I don't steal souls!  Even if I did, I sure as Hell wouldn't go to bloody Georgia to do so!"

Not too surprised that Maze might go just a wee bit overboard with being Chloe's new BFF.  At least she's trying!

Amenadiel being the boorish guest of the sudden double dating was hilarious.

Don't fall for her, Dan!  Charlotte is nothing but trouble!  Your instincts are right!!

Linda being in the know has been one of the show's best decisions.  Her reactions are hilarious.

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Knew God Johnson was going to end up not being "Dad",

But for quite a while in his life, wasn't he God?  Actions, knowledge, reactions.  At the very least, the way I saw it, he was a bit of God, in good ways.

• Love 4
(edited)

Because it must be said: I super believe, God Johnson! (Seriously, between seeing Timothy O here and Mallory Jansen on Agents of Shield, it's been like a mini Galavant reunion on tv lately. RIP Galavant.)

This show keeps getting better and better. While I always enjoy how they make even tangential cases hit home on a personal level for Luci, this one was really went above and beyond. After nearly two seasons of seeing Luci acting out his daddy issues, it was so powerful to see him finally confront the old man in some form. And kudos to Timothy Omundson, because I can't imagine anyone else pulling off the role like he did. Though on a shallow note, I'm sorry to see his glorious hair chopped short and dyed dark. But at least his eyes are still as pretty as ever.

Poor Dan and his clearly labeled pudding. Will he ever get to enjoy it in peace without it being nicked by celestial snack thieves?

Always love seeing drunk Amenadiel, even if it's only a glimpse. Devoted friend Maze seems even more dangerous than angry demon Maze. Good luck, Chloe! Also, loved that they brought Linda into the craziness, so to speak. Her curtsy-bow to God was hilarious.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 15

So my Ella-is-Dad theory still has a chance! 

I loved the background cops when Dan asked after his missing pudding.  I saw a lot of finger pointing, hee.  I was indifferent to Dan during season 1 but I completely adore him now.  Since he spent the night with Mum again, I want to see a return of Just Got Laid Dan.  That's my second favorite Dan (Friendship Dan is #1) and needs to be brought out to play more often.

Maze overdoing her attachment to Chloe was hilarious.  My favorite bit was when she opened the door to Amenadiel and Chloe, without missing a beat, vetoed an orgy (to A's confusion).  She so loves having girlfriends in her life.

Speaking of A, his continued crush on Maze is everything.  I like that it's just a fact now, with Luci encouraging him to seek her out for goodbyes and him following through.  If they ever reconnect I expect it will be season 3, if only because of Brandt's pregnancy.  They'd probably want them to have another fight as foreplay.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

So my Ella-is-Dad theory still has a chance! 

This is the first time I've heard your theory, & I like it!

• Love 2

So much greatness in this episode!  Luci pushing Dr. Linda in the wheel chair and her holding a paper bag because she'd, presumably, been hyperventilating at the thought of meeting god.    No Orgies!  I don't mind watching.  Maze's face when Amenidial told her about the plan to return to heaven / she really felt betrayed by Lucifer which will have repercussions.

And then there's Lucifer's own hurt.  Look out everyone.  The devils going on a rampage.  And have we ever seen the glowing eyes so much in one episode?

Only Lucifer would pack an overnight bag and try to check into rehab... and ask for a suite with a view.

• Love 2
(edited)

If I ever meet God, I want Him to be exactly as Timothy Omundson portrayed Him here. What a wonderful mix of love, concern and compassion. And those eyes! A great contrast to Lucifer's flaming ones. Too bad we didn't get a duet sung by God Johnson and Lucifer. Both actors have lovely voices.

It was nice to hear "What If God Was One Of Us" again. It brought back fond memories of the late, lamented Joan of Arcadia.

Finally, who on the writing team has a pudding fetish? First Dan goes on rampages over people stealing his and then the inmates of the psych ward  (hee, Psych) didn't want to leave because of the pudding.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 9
(edited)

For most of the episode  I thought  God Johnson was another  set up  by mom to upset Lucifer into igniting the sword. Which last week I thought it was made clear Lucifers emotions  couldn't sustain it, yet, this week there  was suddenly a missing piece.  That seems a but out of nowhere but the episode was so, so good I don't  even care. 

Lucifer  wanted a rehab room with a view! Ha! Linda hyperventilating and worried about  the impact of Lucifers plan for humanity... I can't  say how much I'm  loving they're  taking the time to have an average person reacting to this. 

Maze! Keep Mom away from Dan before Trixie get exposed to her! Quick! It makes sense Maze needs someone to follow, Lucifer  has basically dropped her and she spent forever as a sidekick so it's a nice bit  of character consistancy. I felt so bad for her when she realized the plan to go home. She's going to cling to Chloe (and hopefully  LINDA) more now. That date was hilarious.  

Dan and Amenadiel were the bad-ish/douchey guys last year and now I'm worried about Charlotte hurting both  of them. Amenadiel because I think she'd  turn on him in a second to go home and Dan because I'm not so sure she now isn't using him for his Chloe connection or somehow be used to sustain her burning out body or whatever.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MostlyC said:

Am I the only one who wanted a cameo from Tad Cooper? 

They did mention having a dragon breathe on the flaming sword, so maybe there's still hope!  

First Timothy Omundson played a sort of Jesus in Xena and now a maybe God in Lucifer.   I hope they find a way to bring him back when/if Dad makes a return.    

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Is it wrong that I kind of want Dan to marry Charlotte so he can be Lucifer's step-dad?

Isn't the body she is in still married with kids?  Or did they take care if that and I just missed it?

12 hours ago, enoughcats said:

But for quite a while in his life, wasn't he God?  Actions, knowledge, reactions.  At the very least, the way I saw it, he was a bit of God, in good ways.

Not sure if you mean it literally (in-show) but they explained it away as a bit like being the opposite of the other blade, which made humans want to kill and and be all destructive, so the belt-buckle piece did the opposite. So he was acting Gd-ish, but it was not actually him being in a human body like Charlotte is doing. More of a sort of mimic thing going on than possession. Although that was A+L theorizing, so I suppose there's room for them to be wrong, but Charlotte's line at the end about knowing it wasn't him seems to rule that out.

12 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

Isn't the body she is in still married with kids?  Or did they take care if that and I just missed it?

I don't think we've heard about them since she mentioned reverse-cowgirling the husband into a sex coma.

• Love 1

Lucifer has been on a role lately.  Seriously, get Timothy O back again, show.  Even though I know he's American, after Galavant I still expect him to sound British.  Timothy and Tom Ellis played so well off each other.  I liked the interaction at the end when Lucifer was genuinely grateful to God Johnson and then realized that his real father would never say anything like that and it all turned to rage.  Especially since Mom seems to be having doubts.

I like Maze imprinting on Chloe is great.  And it's only going to get worse now that she knows about the plan to go back to heaven.  Guessing demons can't go there.

I liked Maze's huge kiss the cook apron.  As Leslie-Anne Brandt's pregnancy progresses, it's funny to see Maze wearing more flowing clothes, especially after her and Amenadiel's exchange earlier in the season:

"That tight pants hot-body thing you do isn't so...great."

"Yes it is."

And drunk Amenadiel is always entertaining.  "I like the shape of your head."

3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

First Dan goes on rampages over people stealing his

It was labeled!

19 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

She learned that the reverse cowgirl get the husband out of her hair for a while and last we saw of the kids was when Maze came to see her, she had one of the kids literally tied in the backyard.  It seems that Charlotte always did what she wanted even before she became Mom.

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Not sure if you mean it literally (in-show) but they explained it away as a bit like being the opposite of the other blade, which made humans want to kill and and be all destructive, so the belt-buckle piece did the opposite. So he was acting Gd-ish, but it was not actually him being in a human body like Charlotte is doing. More of a sort of mimic thing going on than possession. Although that was A+L theorizing, so I suppose there's room for them to be wrong, but Charlotte's line at the end about knowing it wasn't him seems to rule that out.

To take it a step further.  My interpretation of the whole situation reminded me of a Doctor Who episode where a man picked up a Dalak information cylinder and basically downloaded all the Dalak's information on the Doctor, into this guy's head.  So he believed he was The Doctor.

In this case, the belt-buckle piece was the "healing" side to the blade's "death".  So this is why God Johnson was able to perform the healing miracle on the old lady in the beginning.  The belt-buckle also came with the "knowledge" of the divine, so God Johnson basically got an upload of "Dad's" memories.  That's how he knew Lucifer as Samael, and how he knew about the beginning with Charlotte.   All those memories were "Dad".

What wasn't "Dad" and what pissed Lucifer off so completely at the end, was what God Johnson did with those memories.  God Johnson had the memories of casting Lucifer out and his response was to apologize.  But what Lucifer was saying, is this made him realize that actual "Dad" in that same situation, would never have admitted fault.  

Of course, we're looking at the narrative through Lucifer's perspective.  So who is to say how the "piece" (belt buckle) got down on Earth in the first place and into Johnson's hands.  Was this complete happenstance?  Or was "Dad's" hand in motion to bring God Johnson to Lucifer to speak where he couldn't?  We don't know and Lucifer is so angry, he's not a reliable narrator in his own story.

There has always been this fine sort of line this show dances along, where things happen in a way that could be seen as "Dad's" hand at work.  Father Frank, the shooter who kept missing Lucifer, now this with God Johnson.  With the exception of the end of Season One, the show has been careful to leave room for interpretation, rather than outright say "This is Dad's doing".

• Love 14
27 minutes ago, Lugal said:

I liked Maze's huge kiss the cook apron.

I need to rewatch "Pops" to see if that is the same apron Luci wore. I'm guessing it is, but I wasn't paying close enough attention.

29 minutes ago, Lugal said:

And drunk Amenadiel is always entertaining.  "I like the shape of your head."

Drunk Amenadiel speaks the truth. Cosmos are yummy and that man did have a nicely shaped head. I kept waiting for Amenadiel to rub it.

38 minutes ago, Lugal said:

It was labeled!

Poor Dan and his pudding. I feel the same way when my husband eats my last bag of microwave popcorn.

• Love 3
(edited)

"Timothy Omundson is playing God" is seriously the greatest thing I have ever had reason to type. He was so great as God, I really hope we get some reason to come back and become God for real. He was so kind and compassionate, but also very in control. I cant imagine them finding someone better to play God.

Another great episode! I loved Lucifer trying to parent trap his mom and dad, and Linda's reactions to meeting God. "Should I have curtsied? I should have curtsied?"

Maze is just so excited to have a girl friend, she is coming across WAY too strong. Turns out the only thing scarier than being the enemy of a terrifying demon from Hell is being friends with one. Her apron was adorable.

No Dan, she's bad news! It was bad enough when they were stealing his pudding, and now he's being dragged into some kind of cosmic divorce court debacle! Run away! The poor guy just wants to eat his damn pudding. He labeled it! Labeled!

As soon as they mentioned a fire breathing dragon, I was like "Gods going to fly in on a giant Tad Cooper, right?!?! I super believe in you!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Is it wrong that I kind of want Dan to marry Charlotte so he can be Lucifer's step-dad?

Nope, and not only for the hilarity of it. Charlotte seems to be developing feelings for him and she doesn't know what it is. It brings some vulnerability to the character. I thought she was about to say "it wasn't you".

Who else thought of Ross and his turkey sandwich when Dan asked about his pudding?

Chloe and One of Us. Pure gold. I like continuity in little details and her taste in music is definitely one.

Amenadiel and wine is my OTP on this show. I like that he and Maze had scenes together, ditto about his crush on her.

Last week's  companion was Trixie, this week it was Dr Linda, and now I want a Trixie/Dr Linda scene more than anything, discussing the crazy/cool people in their lives over chocolate cake.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

If this is wrong I don't want to be right! I'm laughing just thinking about it! 

What a great episode, by far the funniest one that we have had in a while. Lucifer should go all crazytown every week if this is what we get! I was laughing my ass off from about halfway through. 

I agree with the consensus about casting Timothy O. as God. He was fantastic, and his eyeliner game was even better than Tom Ellis'! Everyone was on-point this episode, they has a really good balance with the scenes being spread out between the entire cast. Maze, Amenadiel, Dan and the Doc were all really solid, even the new Doc/potential temporary love interest for Chloe was a good addition. 

I have come to realize that I'm just not interested enough in Chloe when she is apart from Lucifer. So when an episode is heavy with her solo scenes I tend to get bored with it. I'm really happy that they are using the ensemble more and I devoutly hope that they continue to do so in the future!

• Love 1
(edited)
47 minutes ago, CaptainTightpants said:

I agree with the consensus about casting Timothy O. as God. He was fantastic, and his eyeliner game was even better than Tom Ellis'!

I know, the makeup department really outdid themselves! And I didn't think anyone could out-eyeliner Tom Ellis. Not that I'm complaining, mind. ;) I don't really care how, but I hope they find a way to bring Timothy O back in the future. And have him sing with Tom. I super believe!

3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

We could get a repeat of the exchange from earlier in the season (I've forgotten which ep, sadly): Luci: "The last thing I need is a Step-Dan." Dan: "You say the weirdest things." Though in all seriousness, I like Dan too much to wish a marriage to Charlotte/Mum on him.

There were some nice little touches of continuity I appreciated in this, beyond Dan and the pudding thievery. It's been mentioned in passing more than once that Maze isn't exactly an ace on dishwashing duty, and I cracked up when she took the dirty plates and just set them flat in the dishwasher, uneaten crusts and all. Clearly she's been listening to Chloe - just not closely enough. And Linda once again freaking out at the idea of meeting an all-powerful celestial deity in person (Luci pushing her in the wheelchair made me chuckle). Drunk Amenadiel having poor social skills, and his utter inability to admit to Maze what she means to him. So much to love in this ep!

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 4

This show has such an excellent ensemble...I so love all the interactions.  Mum has always been the weak link for me, but she was really solid in this episode too.  Timothy O was awesome...his inclusion felt seamless.  I really hope that if the read God wants to make an appearance he is Timothy O.  lol  My favorite bit was that crazy 'date' with Amenadiel.  He has grown on me so much over the two seasons.    This episode was really strong!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

They did mention having a dragon breathe on the flaming sword, so maybe there's still hope!  

First Timothy Omundson played a sort of Jesus in Xena and now a maybe God in Lucifer.   I hope they find a way to bring him back when/if Dad makes a return.    

Well, he did play Cain on Supernatural. Supernatural also had a slightly important character with some powers later reveal himself to be God, which makes so many of his earlier appearances hilariously dickish. The world is heading to an apocalypse, but God is hanging out at Supernatural fan conventions. I'm really hoping that they can bring Tim Omundson back.

I don't really care about Chloe, but I quite like Dan and I'm curious about how or why Trixie seems to take the demon and angel reveals in stride. I don't think it's just because she's a kid. 

The image of Lucifer and Dr. Linda trying to parent trap God and Mom will stick with me forever.

It's funny because Linda refers to Mom as the Godess of Creation, but anytime Mom talks about her divinity there is often a ton of destruction in her recollection.

• Love 4

I should really stop with my knee-jerk reaction of expecting show writers to screw up. I was half cringing at the previews... Turned out to be one of the most enjoyable episodes. I'm sorry, Lucifer crew, I will eventually learn to trust you. I swear! I hope...

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

He was also Cain(as in Mark of...) in Supernatural. :)  Actually it's interesting that Lucifer was angry at the end because "Dad" wouldn't have apologized the way God Johnson did, in SPN in the first season Dean figured out his father was possessed by a demon because said demon, in trying to act "fatherly" was NICER to Dean than his real father would have been in the same situation "Dad wouldn't have thanked me, he'd have ripped me a new one for wasting a bullet".

Anyway, long story short, Timothy O makes everything better. :)

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Love 3

YAY! That was a fun episode, and I echo all of the praise heaped on Tim O for his turn as God.  When he was standing in front of the mini-blinds with sun radiating around his head, I though "oh boy" here we go with the actual God showdown.  But I like what the show did with this pairing, both relief and catalyst.  The look on Luci's drugged up face when "God" said he was sorry and that he was proud of Luci.  No wonder he's infuriated thinking about the dad he doesn't have.  But, this sort of reminds me of an old joke (the one where a flood comes, a man vows to stay in his house saying God will protect him; first a cop comes by, then a guy in a boat, then a helicopter offers rescue; the man declines all three, saying God will save him; he dies; at the pearly gates he says to God, "what gives" and God responds, "I sent you three opportunities for safety, what else did you expect?").  Luci may yet be the man in the flood-- Chloe, Amenadude, Uriel, Dr. Linda.

Rachel Harris gives me another ten reasons to adore her-- should have curtsied, indeed.  

Maze scares me as much as a best friend as a straight up demon.  She is gonna take a strip off somebody over this 'return to heaven' plan.  

Poor Dan.  He's such a kind person, Charlotte/Mum played on that so hard.  

• Love 8

Maybe that God wasn't really The God, but I think the real one would say very similar things to Lucifer. If He's willing to forgive his wife and take her back, (we know that thanks to Uriel), why would He hate Lucifer? I know Lucifer's extremely angry at his Dad, but I'm pretty sure Dad's feelings for him are quite different.

And yes, Timothy O was amazing. 

I absolutely loved Linda's reactions to meeting God. She needs to meet the real one. I bet He appreciates everything she's doing for Lucifer. 

Amenadiel and Maze need their own spin-off. I'm curious about his situation; I guess he still considers himself an angel, but he's siding with the "enemy", right now. And he's in love with a demon. His head must be a total mess. Anyway, my favourite part of him is his relationship with Maze because he looks so dorky and out of his depth when he's with her...

Chloe didn't have much to do in this episode, but I liked the "what if God was one of us" moment with Ella. Although she needs to find out the truth soon. With Dr. Linda's help, it wouldn't be so traumatic. I know it's the last thing Lucifer wants to do right now, but I don't think the show can handle too many episodes like this one, where Chloe is completely removed from the main plot. 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/16/2017 at 0:39 PM, Rosiejuliemom said:

I don't think we've heard about them since she mentioned reverse-cowgirling the husband into a sex coma.

Dr Linda and mom real human husband should get together and write fiction novels (?) about there lives interacting with the daily of our lives underworld chapter! Would sell a million of them. 

What a true friend Maze is to Chole:  

Chloe:  "I told you no threesomes."
Maze "I am OK to watch".

Edited by White Sheep
  • Love 3

This was brilliant and Timothy Omundson was awesome as God Johnson.  The only flaw was a lack of Trixie.  Since we're getting close to season's end, I wonder if Trixie will be in danger again.  I normally dislike stories like because of how manipulative/predictable they are.  I'd be okay with another one just to see Lucifer, Amenadiel and especially Maze bitchslap that danger right down to Hell.

• Love 2

One more moment of awesomeness:  when Lucifer and Dr. Linda were parent trapping mom... she walks over to God Johnson... the two watchers hold their breath waiting for the ecstatic reunion and the mom... knees "dad" in the nuts.

Timothy Omundson, George Burns ("Oh, God!"), Alanis Morissette ("Dogma"). Now there's a holy trinity I could believe in, the epitome of compassion. Burns' "God" on Adam and Eve: "I made Adam 17. Eve was 15, 16 tops.... Now I realize that they were kids, babies. Young people can't fall from my grace. They're my best things."

It seemed to me that God Johnson was at least channeling God via the belt buckle, not just acting god-like. As such, I wonder why Lucifer couldn't accept that maybe Dad did have second thoughts about condemning him to Hell, why the compulsion toward seething hatred?

• Love 3

Oh Tim O, how I love you!!!!! He brought me back to this show and this was actually a good episode. Even Mom wasn't completely awful, and Chloe is way more tolerable as a cop and reluctant friend of Maze. Dr. Linda was awesome! I love how starstruck she is with Lucifer's family. lol. Her in the wheelchair after meeting God was great.

If they bring Tim back as the real God I would be the happiest girl in the world.

I would watch the hell out of an Amendial/Maze spin off. seriously. An angel and a demon trying to survive among us humans, with the help of their full time shrink Dr. Linda, of course. I mean, between the two of them she wouldn't have time for any other clients. And who knows, she might be into the threesome. lol

• Love 1

Gollum found a belt buckle!

So...this buckle results in the bearer becoming thisclose to being Divine.  Cool.

Why not Lucifer?  Mom sure liked being under its spell through a mortal.  

How stoopid is Lucifer?  He thinks if he puts the sword together he can kill Dad, or make him do a dang thing he would not do except under the duress of a sword - created by, wait for it,  Dad?!   

The Ring did not destroy Sauron and this sword would never come close to harming dad.

This may be my favorite episode of Lucifer yet.  I've loved Timothy way back from his "Judging Amy" days. Followed him from a civil servant, to a police detective, to a king, to well, God now. I'm this close to starting a petition on Change.org demanding the show hire him full-time because the only thing that could make me love the show more would be to have God and his beautiful eyes on my TV every week. Line of the week for me was "You're trying to 'Parent Trap' God and the Goddess of Creation?"

• Love 9

Every rewatch I catch something else.  The smallest touches are so well done.  I caught Lucifer offering his arm and escorting Linda away when God and Charlotte start to dance - such a gentleman thing to do. 

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, Shades of Red said:

Every rewatch I catch something else.  The smallest touches are so well done.  I caught Lucifer offering his arm and escorting Linda away when God and Charlotte start to dance - such a gentleman thing to do. 

They really go to town on the details on this show.   It's a very nice touch.  

Edited by White Sheep

I was actually a bit disappointed in the episode. The beginning was fun but I was distracted by figuring out what the deal with "God" was. The scene with Maze, Chloe, Amenadiel and the doctor was hilarious and there were a couple of good oneliners.

But to me, the last third or so, was a let-down, so the episode finished on a low note for me.

Shouldn't Mom have recognized that it wasn't Dad? Lucifer recognized her even though she was in a different body, so I'm assuming he recognized her essence or soul or whatever, so I would assume that Mom and Dad especially recognize each other.

And what good does it do to have a supernatural being if you are not going to use his supernatural-ness? Someone made the point of many having written the show off as just another police procedural at the beginning and really, it sort of has become just that. Every single police procedural would have ended in a similar way - every other consultant would have ended up drugged and the police officer would have had to rescue them. The end wasn't bad, I just find it frustrating because they're making the show ordinary when it doesn't have to be. I don't get why they established a supernatural character only to then make him human and not use his powers most of the time and especially not when using his powers would set the show apart and would be a lot of fun.

17 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I don't get why they established a supernatural character only to then make him human and not use his powers most of the time and especially not when using his powers would set the show apart and would be a lot of fun.

I think it's funny that Chloe has to rescue him because her mere presence nerfs his ability to rescue himself.

Beyond that, Lucifer isn't a superhero show.  If you're going to have a show with a protagonist constantly using supernatural abilities, you're going to need opposition that can bring a reasonable challenge despite those abilities.  I really don't want a show where Lucifer has to battle the angel/demon/monster of the week.

• Love 4