Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Oathkeeper

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

“Dany balances justice and mercy. Jaime tasks Brienne with his honor. Jon secures volunteers while Bran, Jojen, Meera, and Hodor stumble on shelter.”

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. next weeks preview) should be in spoiler tags.

This is my official request for Olenna and Margaery to go all Fuck Da Police and take the Iron Throne for themselves, ruling Westeros with their collective awesomeness.

• Love 13

So is GoT telling an Oedipus story with demons now?  Because a baby left out in the cold is kinda how that story began.

My favorite storyline is always the Dany storyline and again it did not disappoint.  Slave rebellion and crucifiction.

Its funny the only person who  actually ever thought Tyrion killed Jeoffrey is Cersei.  

Sansa is finally getting smart.  Wonder how long that will last.  

Edited by ChaosTheory
  • Love 1

The fuck? What good is a baby ice zombie, white walkers?

I keep wondering where Bran and crew did get their new winter clothes. If they looted wilding corpses, I hope they burned them after. Else there's gonna be some naked wights wandering around.

Glad that the scene between the new royal couple ended where it did. That many shots of Tommen's innocent baby face made the whole thing feel skeevey. Though still not as much Littlefinger's long pause after Sansa asked what he wanted, while he was touching her and staring below her neck.

Littlefinger/Sansa did not disappoint in the least there. Her scenes with him in s3 were easily the best material she got, and now she even gets to act smart. Yay!

Edited by Lady S.
  • Love 2

Ghost and Summer caged up in the same location?  Hodor in chains?  Jon Snow on his way with Locke from the Dreadfort who's gonna try to kill Jon and Bran?  They're about to set it off at Craster's place.  I can't wait til next week!

Lady Olenna is running everything and everybody.

Tommen's got a secret.

Littlefinger is so pervy.  Eww.

Edited by sukeyna
  • Love 1

So were those deserters basically feeding ghost baby parts? That guy was holdiing a leg when he was teasing Ghost.

For a second I thought Ghost and Summer would be reunited since they are brothers, or at least Summer would free Ghost but of course this is Game of Thrones, of course Summer had to get captured.

Sorry to say but the wall stuff bored me, I guess the whole point was to set up conflict for Jon and the acting commander dude whose name I cannot recall. Also Locke is there  under cover looking for Bran/Rickon.

My favorite scenes were the ones at Kings Landing and the scene with Jaime/Tyrion my favorite.

Actually the Margery/Tommen scene amused me only because Tommen's eyes were like saucers. Glad she didn't kiss him on the mouth, the scene was already a bit skeevy for me.  Loved Ser Pounce though and I noted that Tommen seemed bothered by the boar's head with the arrow.

Poor Cersei, Tywin and now Margery are both out to steal Tommen "my mother says" Baratheon from under her nose.

Dany and another slave city..*yawn*

Littlefinger and Sansa...I was cringing because he is just so slimy. I think he wants Sansa, how he is going to swing that while he is engaged to Lysa, I don't know.

So Tyrion was never part of the plan, he was just collateral damage. Gotta give it to the Tyrells (Well, the females anyway), Tywin actually has some competition in the long game.

Tywin could be part of the long game for all we know.

Littlefinger was instrumental in helping make Marg The Queen and who knows what other scheming he's done. I think he got what he was promised (and really wanted) - Sansa. 

Jaime, Bronn, Podrick, Brienne - all of that storyline was wonderful. 

Jaime, Bronn, Podrick, Brienne - all of that storyline was wonderful.

Having Podrick go with Brienne was a great idea, it gets Podrick out of the city and away from harm. Although calling Brienne "Ser"....poor Pod.

Ghost is in a cage, Summer is in a trap, and Hodor is being tortured while in chains.  I'm very depressed.

Me too. I hated seeing Ghost locked up like that. I assumed he had made it back to Castle Black on his own and hadn't been shown because the the Direwolf CGI can get very expensive. Now I find out he's been locked up for months? Hell NO show. I will stop watching if anymore Direwolves are hurt or killed. I'm still mourning Grey Wind!

My heart ached seeing Hodor mistreated by those filthy mutineers. I fear for Meera. Jon needs to hurry up and get to Craster's Keep and kill every single one of those bastards.

I'm so glad Dany did not get the last scene of the show. Being reminded of the real threat was awesome and frightening. That poor little baby!

Grey Worm and Missandei were sweet in the beginning. That's the most dialogue he's ever had. I was sure he would be killed during the taking of Mereen. 

I'm relieved that Pod is safely out of King's Landing. Last week's events aside, I was sad to see Jaime & Brienne part ways. I really did love their relationship. But during their scenes I wondered just how Brienne intends to find Sansa. The girl simply disappeared, what clues does Brienne have to find her? 

Jon Snow on his way with Locke from the Dreadfort who's gonna try to kill Jon and Bran?

Oh NO! That's who that guy is! The whole episode I couldn't place my finger on who he was. He had me fooled; I thought he was truly on Jon's side. This is not going to end well.  Please don't let it end with more dead Starks or their pets. 

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 4

Having Podrick go with Brienne was a great idea, it gets Podrick out of the city and away from harm. Although calling Brienne "Ser"....poor Pod.

That boy looked as doofy as possible in that scene, it's like they're undoing all the Pod's magic dick silliness. I like the ser/my lady confusion because he was trying to respect her. Knights are called ser, and Pod sees her as a knight (even though technically she isn't), but there is no term for a lady knight.

Edited by Lady S.

Me too. I hated seeing Ghost locked up like that. I assumed he had made it back to Castle Black on his own and hadn't been shown because the the Direwolf CGI can get very expensive. Now I find out he's been locked up for months? Hell NO show. I will stop watching if anymore Direwolves are hurt or killed. I'm still mourning Grey Wind!

Word.

• Love 3

I thought WW-on-horse was the Lich King, but now I guess Darth Maul is. At the Fortress of Solitude, I was half-expecting him to absorb the baby's youth like the Imhotep did in Mummy 2.

I find it extremely interesting that for some reason, Littlefinger can be his completely unlying true self to Sansa. Easily my favorite scene because that girl is FINALLY in the company of a role-model suitable to guide her in the true ways of the world and not coddle her...even if he's a creepy uncle type. Gods know her parents nor anyone else never did her any favors in that regard.

For a brief moment I thought the show was fixing their mishap from the end of last season showing adorned-in-blue Daenerys crowd surfing the sea of brown-washing. Then they showed her parading little brown children on a path of shackles like Princess Di used to, photographer completely conscious of keeping the brown out of focus enough to dehumanize. That Targaryen banner is awesome. I know Dany's got the money and labor but who made that thing? And with such accuracy true to her house sigil.

Was Joffrey's Valyrian steel sword buried with him? I hope Tommen or someone gets it if not. I can't see Tywin allowing something that valuable to go wasted. As for Jamie, after reading interviews the past week with GRR, writers and directors, I'm gonna chalk up his portrayal then to poor directorial decisions so I can appreciate his redemption arc. His scenes this episode that he's even sort-of named after make much more sense ignoring that scene.

I can't wait to see if the tease pays off with Summer/Bran/Ghost meet up and if even Jon Snow and the Crows cross their paths.

Line of the episode: "Joffrey didn't like him. He threatened to skin him alive. Mix his inners up in my food so I wouldn't know I was eating him."

The awesome thing is that Jamie gave his sword to Brienne.  She at least is honorable enough to wield what was once Ice.  Wonder if Tywin will notice? 

I guess Twincest is officially over now.  Cersei is hitting the bottle really hard now.  She'll be a mess once she figures out that the Tyrells are still in the game.  Maybe Loras won't be forced to marry her now.

As badass ad direwolves are, they seem awfully easy to trap.  Poor Summer and Ghost!

I also felt bad for Craster's daughter/wives.  Damn. Life must really suck for them now.  Jon better get a move on!

Cersei is hitting the bottle really hard now.  She'll be a mess once she figures out that the Tyrells are still in the game.

I can't wait to see her reaction when she finds out Margaery intends to marry Tommen, with Tywin's blessing (I assume).

That Targaryen banner is awesome. I know Dany's got the money and labor but who made that thing? And with such accuracy true to her house sigil.

Was Joffrey's Valyrian steel sword buried with him? I hope Tommen or someone gets it if not. I can't see Tywin allowing something that valuable to go wasted. As for Jamie, after reading interviews the past week with GRR, writers and directors, I'm gonna chalk up his portrayal then to poor directorial decisions so I can appreciate his redemption arc. His scenes this episode that he's even sort-of named after make much more sense ignoring that scene.

That must be what Ser Barry and Ser Jorah get to spend their time with now, fun arts and crafts projects.

I hope Tommen inherited that sword. It worries me that Joff's corpse was armed last week. Bad enough part of the Stark ancestral sword went to Ned's killer, the little prick shouldn't get to take it into the grave.

• Love 1

Oh, and re: Margaery, Ser Boros, and Tommen:

OF COURSE the double widow is going to get to the altar with Tommen... Still a virgin. Yes yes, why would anyone doubt that sweet innocent flower?

No, Olenna!  Don't go!  You are too awesome to leave!  If not for me, stay for Margaery!  Then again, Marg ain't wasting any time taking what she just learned from Olenna, and getting her seduction.  The actor that got recasted as Tommen sure lucked out.  Don't see anything wrong with getting to have Natalie Dormer "seduce" you, as part of your new job.  But, I'm glad we got confirmation that Olenna was part of the plan to kill Joffrey.  That woman is both awesome and scary!

Once I look past last week's utter stupidity and incompetence from the director and writers, I loved pretty much all of Jaime's stuff and interactions with Bronn, Tyrion, and Brienne.  It's really too bad they bungled it so badly, because there is some great stuff there.  Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is nothing short of amazing as Jaime; bungled character development be damned.  But I'm really looking forward to the Adventures of Brienne and Podrick.  Another potentially awesome comic duo is on the horizon!

Loved the twist of Locke infiltrating the Night's Watch, and trying to work Jon Snow.  I'm actually curious to see where this goes.  I also continue to love Jon Snow, which I never would have predicted.

Daenerys takes Meereen.  Loved getting to see Grey Worm front and center; sneaking in and getting the slaves on their side.  Not surprised Dany is taking the "not merciful" approach, with the former slave owners.  But it was done in a way where they are making it look like she is going down a dangerous path.  Not sure what exactly, but it just felt that way.

Oh, Sansa.  I wouldn't wish Littlefinger on anyone.

IMO, the stuff with the traitors just brought the episode to a halt.  Nothing against the actors, but I find them so one-dimensional, and not entertaining to hate in a Joffery or even Ramsey kind of way.  Not sure I see much potential over them capturing Bran either.  But, judging from next week's previews, it might not last for long, so I'll power through it.

The final ending was great though.  Glad we're finally getting into the White Walker stuff.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

I loved the scene with Olenna where she confirmed for Margarey that she was the one who conspired to kill Joffrey. I would not be surprised to find out that Tywin was in on it too. The scene with Margarey and Tommen did have kind of a creepy vibe to it, until the end. A kid Tommen's age probably wants friends more than anything else, and he probably doesn't have any. So that's how she's playing it, at least for now.

My husband asked when we were going to see the zombies again, and lo and behold, there they were. Do they grow up? Or do they just have an army of zombie babies, courtesy of Craster?

And I was so glad to see Podrick get out of King's Landing. I was worried for him.

Edited by Queasy-bo

Poor Cersei

Don't. You. Ever. Utter. Those. Words. Together. Ever. Again! I want the White Walkers to get ahold of her and go to town. Her stare can't get anymore icey at it is...

Wow, what an episode. I really liked the first half. But then a show made sure to remind me, that only a sick and twisted mind can actually enjoy this. Damn you, GRRM!

At least we got that whole "who killed him and why and how" solved. Somewhat, at least. Yeah, he's still dead. Huzzah!

Edited by Conan Troutman
  • Love 1

Random thoughts about the episode:

So much for shipping Brienne and Jaime. Besides the fact that eventually he'd try to rape her and get beaten into a coma, in about a week she's going to be pregnant with a litter of baby Podricks. You do NOT send Podrick off with a woman who you are trying to get with!

Why is it that, even with all the dragons and dire wolves and warhorses we see all the time on the show, I still gave a big dorky smile and yelled "KITTY!" Tommen was able to protect his cat from Joffrey, therefore he has my respect. And also my jealousy, but somebody was gonna get Margerine spread on them anyway; it might as well be somebody with a cute fluffy kittycat namd Ser Pounce.

The baby walkers confuse me. Even crazy-ass Lizzy on "Walking Dead" was willing to hold off on turning the baby into a zombie once people reminded her that "non-walking dead" aren't nearly as effective. Even if they can walk, at that size, what do they do? Stand on top of each other and sneak around under a hat and trenchcoat?

I think Grey Worm just got some plot armor. Kind of a long language lesson scene, unless he makes to Westeros and actually gets to talk to some people there. Especially considering how sped up the whole Essos part of the ep seemed to be. It's like at this point they're saying "Fuck it, you know she wins. Let's just get to the punchline."

The head mutineer needs to be hanged for overacting. I thought Ramsay was overdoing it. This guy is worse!

How many KIngsguards are there, anyway? I thought there only were about four. 

Littlefinger, shut the hell up. Then go back and watch some Season 1 episodes. Remember back when you used to lie onscreen, instead of just making speeches afterwards about how evil you were? Give Sansa some lemon squares and apologize to her for killing the jester. Deemphasize the "Who Wants to Date a Supervillain?" show, because I think she's already been there. Or, forget the Season 1 idea, just watch Lady Olenna!

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

How many KIngsguards are there, anyway? I thought there only were about four. 

4 named Kinsguards with Ser Meryn, Ser Boros, Ser Preston, and Commander Lefty. One Kingsguard in Dorne watching Myrcella.

23if0uq.jpg

(It's all too easy to miss but there he is, on the right by her trunk.) And two open spots after Blackwater, where The Hound deserted and Ser Mandon failed to assassinate Tyrion and was taken out by Pod. To sum up, 7, the Westeros magic number, at full capacity, but only 5 left now with only 4 of them in the capital. And Ser Pounce is a better Kingsguard than all of them, so Cersei should be worried.

Final thought: the Kingslayer Brothers sounds like a cool family band. Too bad the actual other Lannister kingslayers are Cersei and Lancel.

Edited by Lady S.
  • Love 1

I wonder (just guessing here) if zombie-fication bestows some kind of rapid growth. I was a little relieved that it was just ("just") transformed into a walker - I was half expecting the baby to get eaten. Knowing this show, it's possible.

Loved the Margaery / Tommen scene — I thought it was sweet. Something like a high school freshman getting some attention from that cute senior girl he has a crush on. She knew how far to take it — to go for physical interaction now would be too soon.

I'm ready for the traitors at the Crasters to be done with. When we get into scenes of unrelenting misery (like Theon's unending torture), I get impatient. It doesn't need to be all strolling in a garden, but all sneering and cruelty makes it rough going.

Brienne & Pod — I didn't see that coming, but how perfect. I hope we get to see a lot of their interaction. 

• Love 2

Is Locke alone in his nefarious undercover mission?  He's a deadly dude, but I don't think he'll be able to best the new and improved Jon Snow.  Locke seems to be a sane version of Ramsey, which means that he can be clever in his duplicity, but he's impulsive and not a long-term thinker because he surely didn't do Roose Bolton any favors by cutting off the sword hand of Tywin Lannister's son. 

Edited by sukeyna

I think Locke was the only one who they mentioned not having taken his vows yet, so he's probably in there alone.

How well he does, I think, will depend largely on how many people are watching and how much restraint he's capable of once he has the upper hand. Fooling Jon? Probably quite doable. He's very charismatic when he wants to be. He's got Jon fooled so far, and he also had no trouble fooling Jaime. But from what we've seen so far, he likes to play with his defeated nemesis once he gets the upper hand, and that could easily earn him set of wolf teeth in the neck. 

Edited by CletusMusashi

I noticed this episode was directed by Michelle MacLaren, of Breaking Bad fame! Anyone know if this was her first GoT episode? She did a brilliant job.

I know she directed two episodes last year: "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" and "Second Sons (episode 7 and 8.)  I guess they must have liked her enough to bring her back.  Cool for Michelle; directing both this show and Breaking Bad, is certainty something to boast about.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

Olenna's playing a long game, and letting Tyrion die would keep her family safe in the short term, but clearing his name might benefit her in the long run. I can't imagine she'll leave the result of the trial to chance. 

I noticed this episode was directed by Michelle MacLaren, of Breaking Bad fame! Anyone know if this was her first GoT episode? She did a brilliant job.

I have a feeling she's not. We know the judges are going to be Tywin, Mace (her son), and Oberyn. Knowing that the Tyrell women run everything, it's a pretty safe bet that he'll vote against what everyone thinks is Tywin's wishes and do what she wants. Oberyn, I think just wants to keep hassling the Lannisters, so he's probably thinking along the same lines of saying 'yes' to Tywin when he really intends to not. I think the wildcard as far as that judgment is actually Tywin, whom I believe wants everyone to think he's siding with Cersei/Joffrey's interest. I don't think the obviousness of Tyrion's innocence in the matter has been lost on him, though that wouldn't matter to him except for the sole fact that Tyrion is his only hope of continuing on the Lannister name which seems incredibly important to him. It can't be Jamie, because of the Kingsguard and he not wanting Casterly Rock, so the only thing Tywin has left to hope for is a possible heir from Tyrion's future children. The poison necklace + Dontos's body on the little boat will somehow come back into play during the trial. I think Lady O somehow got word from Littlefinger about Dontos' body being ready to take the blame. Tyrion's situation was unforseen but wouldn't alter their plan which we now know always involved saving and escaping with Sansa. If Littlefinger is telling the truth (hah) about Sansa being safe at the Eyrie, and in a way he has to be if he intends to keep her around/nearby for whatever his plans with her are, then he must also know and have planned for a way to stop or minimize any realm-wide pursuit for her. House Arryn/Lyssa still considers themselves not part of the realm so their armies and forces would add comfort to Littlefinger's expectation of Sansa's security even though he's supposed to be going over there to bring them back into the fold.

Ahh, Breaking Bad! I knew I recognized that name. Maybe they'll let her redo some poorly executed scenes in the past. Or the Thor guy.

Littlefinger and Sansa...I was cringing because he is just so slimy. I think he wants Sansa, how he is going to swing that while he is engaged to Lysa, I don't know.

Well, he found a way to get rid of Joffrey so I have no doubt that he will find a way to get rid of Lysa when it suits him so he can marry Sansa. Then he will have Harrenhal, the Eyrie, and Winterfell.

The only good thing about seeing Ghost locked up in a cage is knowing that at least he's still alive. Poor Ghost!

I worry for Jaime when Tywin finds out that he gave his Valyrian steel sword to Brienne. Dad's gonna be mad!

Littlefinger confirmed that the necklace was part of the plot to kill Joffrey. Last week he removed it from Sansa's neck and dropped it on Ser Dantos' dead body in the boat. So does that mean he wants the Lannisters to find Dantos with the necklace and conclude that Sansa was the one who murdered Joffrey? Or think that she killed Dantos? Or that she fell out of the boat and drowned? Littlefinger also confirmed that Joffrey's death was done in conjunction with his "new friends" and then he mentioned these friendships growing strong. So he was totally in league with Olenna! I can totally see those two plotting together and talking shit about the Lannisters.

Man, Craster's daughter-wives are really getting the shit end of the stick. First they get raped by their father-husband and now they're being raped to death by the Night's Watch traitors. I wish someone would take them to a nice hot spring, let them soak and relax, eat some food, and take long naps. And poor Hodor, chained up line an animal and taunted by those traitorous assholes.

I'm hoping that the Pod and Brienne road trip will be as amusing as the Brienne/Jaime road trip was last year. At the very least, I'm glad that Podrick is safely out of Kings Landing. What is Jaime going to tell Cersei and Tywin about Brienne and Pod leaving together though? Surely he won't tell them the truth so I can't wait to hear what story he's going to make up about their absence.

Jaime is starting to get a taste of what it was like to be Tyrion. He's no longer favored by Tywin or Cersei and he's trying to do the right thing despite his other family members' agendas. While he couldn't grant Tyrion's request to just let him go, he could try to do the right thing by Brienne, Pod, Sansa, and Arya. Ooh, if we have to break up the Arya/Hound comedy duo, I hope that Brienne finds Arya. She could teach Arya to fight and maybe dispense some wisdom about honor.

I loved the scene with Olenna where she confirmed for Margarey that she was the one who conspired to kill Joffrey. 

My first thought was that the garden has ears.  Haven't they made a lot of references over the seasons to spies being everywhere?

Well, he found a way to get rid of Joffrey so I have no doubt that he will find a way to get rid of Lysa when it suits him so he can marry Sansa. Then he will have Harrenhal, the Eyrie, and Winterfell.

Can he do that though? I don't think that Littlefinger could marry Sansa and then take Winterfell without people knowing that Sansa is alive. Sansa, who is suspected of conspiring to kill the king. Also, would her marriage to Tyrion not be a factor (assuming Tyrion doesn't get executed)?

• Love 1
I wonder (just guessing here) if zombie-fication bestows some kind of rapid growth. I was a little relieved that it was just ("just") transformed into a walker - I was half expecting the baby to get eaten. Knowing this show, it's possible.

Me, too!  Horrors against animals and babies would be too much for me to take at once.

A side note:  Since that was the last of Craster's sons that will be sacrificed to the White Walkers, are they going to realize something is up?  Do they recognize their genetic connection through Craster?  What about Gilly's son?  If they rampage through Westeros and come upon him, would they see him as their brother?    Don't worry, I don't expect an answer to that one for at least a few seasons. ;)

Another episode in which I understand about 75% of what is happening. And some of the scenes were filmed so dark I couldn't tell what was taking place. Great Jaime/Tyrion and Jaimie/Brienne scenes. Love Tommen. 

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

The poison necklace + Dontos's body on the little boat will somehow come back into play during the trial. .

From the moment some eagle-eyed person here pointed out the jewel-snatch scene at the wedding, I've been analyzing everything necklace. (There have been quite a few scenes with necklaces involved.)

I think that Littlefinger tossing the poison carrying necklace back into the boat with deadfool was a relevant scene. And then we get this week with more talk about that particular necklace, and in case we missed it, Lady O once again putting her hands on a necklace. I'd put a wager on the necklace somehow saving Tyrion by the time we wrap up the trial.

Why is it that, even with all the dragons and dire wolves and warhorses we see all the time on the show, I still gave a big dorky smile and yelled "KITTY!" Tommen was able to protect his cat from Joffrey, therefore he has my respect. And also my jealousy, but somebody was gonna get Margerine spread on them anyway; it might as well be somebody with a cute fluffy kittycat namd Ser Pounce.

The baby walkers confuse me. Even crazy-ass Lizzy on "Walking Dead" was willing to hold off on turning the baby into a zombie once people reminded her that "non-walking dead" aren't nearly as effective. Even if they can walk, at that size, what do they do? Stand on top of each other and sneak around under a hat and trenchcoat?

I just got a big dorky smile reading THIS! Haha! 

I felt so physically uncomfortable watching that poor newborn crying in the snow.  All I wanted to do was reach into the TV and pluck him right out of that scene. Well done show!

• Love 1

All of the excellent Jaime scenes this week (with Brienne, Tyrion, Bronn, Cersei) really highlight how badly the show screwed up last week by having Jaime rape Cersei.  It seems to have been done just for shock value, as there was no fallout, no discussion.  I would have no problem believing the Jaime of Season 1 capable of raping his sister, but the Jaime of Season 4 - who gave the sword and armor and squire to Brienne and who is trying to keep his oath to protect Sansa - not so much.

On the topic of rape, enough with it already!!  The scene at Craster's was horrifying and, after last week, it is becoming way too much.

Lady Oleanna and Margarey are the best.

• Love 1

I am getting really confused with the direction they are taking Jaime this season. They have him rape Cersei, but then show him giving Brienne a sword/armor telling her to protect Sansa [not to mention his scenes with Tyrion in the dungeon...ect.] What the frick people? Some continunity with character development would be appreciated.

I have to admit, I loved the scene with Grey Worm and Missandei, it was actually interesting [and those poor characters, being taken from their homes so young.] Dany however, enough already [however, we are seeing what I assume to be her decent into madness...it will be interesting to see where that leads.]

I am happy they finally went back to the white walkers, but I will be damned if I don't get nightmares from that last scene. Ugh, that poor baby.

Ser Pounce made my night. And agreed that Margaery's scene with Tommen came off as kind of weird and probably not as sweetly intimate as they were hoping for, but I think her visit had the intended effect on him. She speaks to him like a friend, keeps secrets with him like a grown up, tempts him with a hint of things he doesn't know how to want yet, and then kisses him like a mother. Olenna was right; she is GOOD!

EW's episode recap had some fun with that scene. in particular, I'm going to have a hard time not using this term when thinking about her now: "Later, young King Tommen lays in his royal bed. He hears something. In strolls Lady Wet Dream of Highgarden"

• Love 1

On the topic of rape, enough with it already!!  The scene at Craster's was horrifying and, after last week, it is becoming way too much.

Before seeing this episode, I made a comment that maybe instead of trying to guess "who dies this week?", my husband and I should be trying to guess "who gets raped this week?"

Unfortunately, it wasn't as much of a joke as I'd hoped. I really think they could have made their point about the mutineers with 1. a lot less screen time and 2. a lot less visible rape. Just like with Theon's torture, I found myself simultaneously disgusted and bored.

On a side note, though, I had to laugh about the guy in the background behind the leader whose direction was apparently "just keep having sex the whole time the main guy is talking."

• Love 6