Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Where Are They Now? Dottie and June

• Start Topic

(edited)
14 hours ago, Complexity said:

That was my explanation for the second surgery. ?

The question then is why did Dr. Now only do a gastric sleeve the first time instead of a gastric bypass? I don't know. I can only guess that he had problems doing a full bypass the first time around because of her weight, but he could do it later when she was smaller (not by much, but she was still smaller).

I also think Dr. Now was more sympathetic with Dottie because of her first son's cerebral palsy and then death. Not only did he do the second surgery to help her lose weight, but this was the first time I've seen Dr. Now not give a patient a weight loss goal. He did that twice with her.

Ah, yes, thanks for the clarification Complexity.

One of the aspects of this show, and TLC's production of it, is their lazy lack of attention to detail. IIRC, the viewers never heard that explanation during the show. I mean, damn, they had two hours so just half a minute's worth of explaining would have been all that was needed, but that would have taken away from all the gory close-ups of surgical incisions and swinging removed flesh. Gotta keep the drama!

Unfortunately, even with two surgeries, Dottie may still have problems with sticking to her diet unless she continues to address her emotional issues, especially her grief over losing a child and being more attentive and emotionally present to her adorable curly-headed carrot top toddler, Langdon (or is it Landon?). Maybe it was Dr. Now being compassionate but, even with a smaller pouch, Dottie could still overeat. It would definitely be more difficult and painful even, but doable.

I also wonder if not giving her monthly goals could be unwise in the long run since I think she could benefit from having set monthly goals and some additional structure to her and her family's lives.

Everyone knows what the road to Hell is paved with..............

Almost forgot to mention that the man who lost a record amount of weight--made the Guinness Book of World Records--was named Michael Hebranko. He may have also set a record for the amount of weight regained after weight loss surgery, but not sure about that. He was often not very kind or even grateful to those trying to save his life. A brief overview of his life courtesy of Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hebranko

Edited by DC Gal in VA

Not much more to say that hasn't already been said. Dottie's voiceovers were exceptionally monotone. So we're June's. That drive me bananas throughout the episode. One fact that popped up was that June snuck into Dr. now's office to weight herself in between appointments. I think regular scales can handle her weight now-stop buying the tacky acrylics and buy yourself a scale lady. 

Does anyone else think it's weird to have tattoos and to touch up existing tats when your skin is all stretched and going to be pulled in all directions with skin removal surgery? 

• Love 2

After watching Dottie and June, I'm even more amazed at the weird places patients of this size gain weight.  It's just so disproportionate, and how unfortunate that those fat deposits look so bizarre.  

Wishing them well.  They didn't whine or act like babies like others we have seen on this show, so that's a huge plus.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

After watching Dottie and June, I'm even more amazed at the weird places patients of this size gain weight.  It's just so disproportionate, and how unfortunate that those fat deposits look so bizarre.

Yes. And if anyone believes that carrying hundreds of extra pounds of fat on the body doesn't wreck the hormones, just look at the women. Hips so huge that they grow wings and literally can't fit through doors at the grocery store, but absolutely no boobs. Those are flat and deflated and practically non-existent. Bizarre.

• Love 4