Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Naka-Choko

I'm thinking (hoping) Will got through to Freddie and she went into hiding.  And that was really some other long-pig(?) - the guy will killed last ep.  And it's the first time I really liked Freddie - loved her researching Dr Chilton.

Just when I thought the Margot plot was an odd diversion (even if I knew it will eventually play into the story long-term) she goes to Will's house and they sleep together.  Loved Will's "I have the wrong parts for your proclivities."  I wonder what she's up to.

(edited)

Due to my Mavericks hanging in, I was channel flipping, which I didn't mind when Mason showed up with a cute pig.

This show, dude!

Will's mindscape? I kept thinking " that's so fucked up!", yet wouldn't've minded being between Mads and Hugh. MMV, of course.

Saw Freddie digging around what looked like the animal aerie from a couple of episodes ago. I hope Randall helped with the ending dinner in reality.

That last image will worry me for the rest of the season, minimum.

The preview has me double-checking to see if it is next Friday at 9PM Central yet!

This show! (Oh, yeah- Will, stop having dead folk follow you with their eyes. It's cree-pee! Thank you in advance.)

eta:I actually like Margo , but Randall harmed a dog, so I'll allow Soylent Green for that. Apologies for the mix-up.

Edited by Actionmage
(edited)

1. Someone needs to make me feel better about where this is going, fast.

2. No, Bryan Fuller, I will not you ruin Mahler 5 for me. I muted and read the captions.

3. In my market, the three way dream scene was followed by one of those heinous Geico commercials, but before I could mute it, the actor said, "huh" in a bemused tone of voice. And, really, that was the perfect commentary on what had just happened.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh
  • Love 4
(edited)

Well I'll say one thing about Freddie,  she looked yummy.

What was all that sex....Including the stag...was that a five way?

Margot plan for killing her brother.  Sex with Will.  Have a boy baby.  Kill brother.  Get inheritance.  I've heard worse plans.  Hope the baby's a boy.

Line of the episode "This is my becoming and it's yours."

Edited by ChaosTheory
  • Love 2
(edited)

I know this is a ridiculous thing to say considering what show we're watching, but this went in some weird directions.

Option A is that Will has become what Hannibal intended him to be.  Option B is that Will is pantomiming what Hannibal wants him to be.  I am going to believe Option B until proven otherwise.  When Will and Freddie were discussing Abigail, Will insisted he was not going to forget what had happened to her.  I think that continues to be his primary anchor to reality, reenforced by subsequent actions by Hannibal.  I assume that either Freddie agreed to keep a low profile or that she is handcuffed to a chair in Will's house, because Will's focus has narrowed so far in on Hannibal that legality just does not enter into it.  There is indirect precedent in the Hannibal literature for Option A, though, which worries me.

I gaped at the television when Hannibal told Will to slice the 'ginger'.

Randall's eyes were deeply disturbing, and so was Will's conversation with spirit Randall.  His fate is more evidence that Will cannot be stopped by convention, and I assume that he was the long pork donor.  I agree, the final image of the episode was chilling.

Mason was appropriately odd, creepy and calculating.  I suspect that Margot is taking Hannibal's advice in trying to get someone else to kill Mason for her, or at least offer some protection against him, since he has reached the stage of feeding mannequins that wear her clothes to pigs.  So far this is going better, and much faster, than the movie or book versions.

Freddie jumped a little higher in my estimation by investigating Chilton and by tallying just how many odd deaths are associated with Hannibal's practice.  And I'm glad that Alana did not completely discount what she had to say despite her distaste for the 'journalist'.  It reenforces Alana's own surprise at Will and Hannibal's continued interaction.  I really appreciated how many sidelong glances both she and Jack aimed at the two of them this episode.  And that Will referred to Jack as a friend to Margot.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 5

Yep.  I should have known Bryan Fuller and crew wouldn't be content with just a mere sex scene, inter-cutting between Will/Margot and Hannibal/Alana.  Nope, it instead merges into a bizarre five-way (I'm assuming, in Will's head), with those four AND Demon Stag Hannibal getting in the action.  Oh, Fuller.  You go to some crazy places on this show.  Although, I wish next week's previews didn't already spoil why Margot, who claimed to be a lesbian last week, would have sex with Will, even though it does make sense... well, in a crazy way (I guess Margot's not down with sperm banks.)

I have to think Freddie's fate is a fake-out.  I'm under the assumption Will is undercover to get to Hannibal, and while he's not against killing a pet like Randal, killing Freddie would cross the line.  I have to think he's either captured and hid her, or he was able to convince her, and she's in hiding.  But, it would be strange for Hannibal not to ask for proof, since he doesn't strike me as someone who would just take Will on his word.

Michael Pitt was clearly having a blast playing Mason.  Mason and Hannibal should be fun!  Continue to love how Katherine Isabelle plays Margot.  I'm already finding her a fascinating character to watch.

Only three episodes left.  Better get to it, Jack!  And Alana.  Y'all can only bury your heads in the sand for so long.

• Love 2
(edited)

That episode had my jaw on the floor. I do hope they will have Mason getting high and cutting off his face at Hannibal's suggestion. That guy made my skin crawl.

BTW, for me, that movement of Mahler's Fifth will always be associated with the film "Death in Venice."

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 1
(edited)

That was some seriously weird shit. I agree with the spec that Freddie is not really dead and it is all a setup. But, does that mean that Will just willingly ate people for some kind of long con?

Seems like it....I can't imagine he would think he could fool Hannibal with something else. I'm not convinced Hannibal is fooled anyway. A for effort though!

My assumption on Freddie was that Jack is also in on it and they have her secreted away somewhere to protect her from Hannibal & his plastic onesie. The promise of exclusive rights to the story once it's all over would probably convince her to be quiet. Speaking of which, if she thinks Will & Hannibal are killers, telling Alanna and then snooping around Will's place were not her most brilliant moves.

If not, I'm gonna miss that fabulous crunchy 80's perm.

Though I like the Margot character, I'm not loving the brother. Too cartoony for me. Feels like a villain from a Spider-Man movie. The pig was cute though. I hope his storyline comes to an end rapidly.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 1
(edited)

What the hell? 

How was Will going to explain that lower jaw to Freddie?

Slice the ginger.  SMH.

I don't know why I watch this show, but I just can't quit it.

Edited by sukeyna
  • Love 1

If Freddie is still alive then Chilton hopefully is really dead because two faked deaths would be a tad too much

.  I love Margot but did she really think Will has good DNA?  Other than he is handsome his mental state is quite suspect.

That shot of Jack seeing the body first made me think Will warned him.  Why would Jack walk onto a crime scene all alone?

Pitt was a bit hammy but I will allow it.  He needs to be vulgar and excessive.  Although I liked that Hannibal intuited that Margot loved him in some manner.  Might be nice to see a loveable Mason if only for a moment.  

Oh and until Will started thinking of Alana I was digging seeing Will connect with another person, even for a quick fling.  I don't buy that Will has sexual feelings for Alana.  Their chemistry is off.  

(edited)

What the shit is going on?  Did Will kill Freddie? Were they eating Freddie?  Did they eat Chilton?  HALP

I don't know why I watch this show, but I just can't quit it.

LOL. I literally said that to someone earlier. I said "Why do I even watch this show?  It's so fucked up"

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I don't believe Will killed Freddie. But the fact that I'm not 100% certain that he didn't goes to show how f'ed up this show is. I love it completely and without reservation. I do agree with the posters upthread who highlighted how grounded and focused Will seems to be when he is interacting with other people, like Margot or Freddie, and seems fixed on his task of bringing down Hannibal... It gives me hope. I suppose the race will be to see if he can bring him down before he slips too far and really does become what Hannibal wants him to be. But regardless of the toll it's taking on him, Will's plan does seem to be working, to an extent. Hannibal has begun speaking much more freely around him, several times skirting closer to an admission than he ever has before. His guard seems to be dropping as he sees Will fall deeper and deeper under his power. Will is a damn good fisherman. Even if he does have to offer up his own soul as bait.

Considering Will had a freezer full of the excess Randall parts from the tableau, I'm guessing he fed Hannibal his own protege. Fitting, since it was suggested when Miriam Lass's arm was found last season that Hannibal had done exactly that to Jack.

The sex scene was the creepiest and I loved it. It's about time the demonic stag-man got some action!

Michael Pitt made a great Mason. I only know him as Tommy Gnossis from "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," but I loved him in that as well. Good casting choice. The way he casually but sadistically made Margot watch as he trained his super-pigs to eat her alive... that was chilling. I'm normally not a fan of the "lesbian seduces man to get pregnant" trope, but if that is what Margot was doing with Will, then I admire her calculations and I totally understand why she would go to such extremes to get out of her current situation. While Hannibal wants her to kill her brother in order to realize her potential as a murderer, it is plain that something needs to be done to break up that family because her life is clearly in danger.

Speaking of people whose lives I'm worried about: Alanna is finally starting to listen to the whispers in the back of her mind that tell her something is really wrong with the Hannibal/Will situation. Considering that her utter conviction that Hannibal is innocent is likely the only thing keeping her alive at this point, this could be trouble.

• Love 3

I was initially disappointed that Margot Verner slept with Will, but it's apparent from the promos that she did so in order to have a male heir so that she can kill her brother without losing her fortune, so I guess that's okay. At least Bryan didn't make her heterosexual like some of the other writers wanted to.

That five-way sex scene was ambitious. I felt like it went on a little too long, though.

Agree that Will did not kill Freddie, but convinced her to hide out someplace. It wouldn't take too much convincing, as she already believes that Hannibal is a murderer. I just can't see Will killing an innocent.

I like that Alana is starting to get suspicious. She really couldn't have gone much longer without suspecting something; she would have just looked stupid.

I have to think Freddie's fate is a fake-out.  I'm under the assumption Will is undercover to get to Hannibal, and while he's not against killing a pet like Randal, killing Freddie would cross the line.  I have to think he's either captured and hid her, or he was able to convince her, and she's in hiding.  But, it would be strange for Hannibal not to ask for proof, since he doesn't strike me as someone who would just take Will on his word.

Agreed. Hannibal is not dumb, he won't just take anyone's word on it. He will need to see her corpse before he'll believe any of it.

Didn't even occur to me that Margot was doing Will to get herself a male heir. I'm guessing no sperm bank because there would be records and a money trail, and her brother would find out what she's up to. How can she make sure she has a boy, though? And I find it hard to believe Will would go along with this. Of course she didn't tell him what she was doing, but he's not an idiot, wouldn't he have figured it out?

I hate to say it, but for all its focus on Will and Hannibal's relationship, which I usually love, this episode left me a little cold and dissatisfied. I know part of it is purely personal: I adored prickly, awkward, distant Will from the first season and I miss that part of him. But I wasn't sold on the sex scene either. I know what they were trying to do - illustrate the blurring of lines and the crossing of boundaries between Will and Hannibal and Alana, but I just didn't buy Will mentally inserting Alana into his encounter with Margot. He kissed her one time to stop her realising that he had imagined the creature trapped in his chimney and the last time they spoke, he was pretty clear about his feelings: she hadn't believed him, or believed in him. I have no personal objections to Will and Alana as a romantic relationship on the show, and I rather like Alana as a character; this just didn't work for me. It's not often I think the show is more interested in making a point than in having that point be true to the characters, but this was definitely one of them. Alana is still on the outside looking in; she's not a full participant in the Will-Hannibal intimacy. Not even close. In reality, Will isn't anywhere near as close with her as he is with Hannibal. I kind of wish he'd simply stayed in the moment with Margot. 

Based on what Margot had said about Mason before we actually met him, he already sounded like a nightmare but within two seconds of seeing him I thought man, I hope Hannibal and Will team up to kill the crap out of this creepy psycho asshole. Did she ever explicitly state what he did to her? I know we saw the scars on her back and Hannibal mentioned Mason doing something to her (the details of which now escape me). The fact that he has a recording of her screaming for the pigs to listen to was horrific.

That sex scene was beautifully shot and edited but still oh so creepy.

• Love 1

I was initially disappointed that Margot Verner slept with Will, but it's apparent from the promos that she did so in order to have a male heir so that she can kill her brother without losing her fortune, so I guess that's okay. At least Bryan didn't make her heterosexual like some of the other writers wanted to.

That five-way sex scene was ambitious. I felt like it went on a little too long, though.

Agree that Will did not kill Freddie, but convinced her to hide out someplace. It wouldn't take too much convincing, as she already believes that Hannibal is a murderer. I just can't see Will killing an innocent.

I like that Alana is starting to get suspicious. She really couldn't have gone much longer without suspecting something; she would have just looked stupid.

Have you read TV Guide's recent interview with Fuller? I too thought Will's killing of Freddie was a fake out, but after reading that I'm not so sure.

Margot couldn't really go to a Sperm bank because Mason controls the family assets.   He pays for EVERYTHING, including her therapy.  If she went to a sperm bank he would know because they aren't free.  The second reason she couldn't go to a sperm bank is because they take time and they ask pesky persona questions.  They don't have drive through windows where you order what you want and they hand you sperm.  The third....is more storyline.  We would have missed the creepy as all hell and therefore the best ever sex scene.  I have no problem with Margot a lesbian having sex with a man if it makes sense and there is no magic penis involved.  (She is not suddenly loving the boys)  This was an act born out a fear, we did just witness first hand what she was afraid of and she wants a baby ASAP.  Will is a good choice.   

• Love 1

I don't have any deep insights; I never do. But I did enjoy this episode! Was the pig Hannibal chose Pavlov? If so, then go get him Will! Mason was a little more...crazy looking than I thought. I think it was the hair. Michael Pitt was great! The only other thing I've seen him in was Boardwalk Empire. I was a little unsure about Katherine Isabelle, but my doubts are gone. Love her take on Margot! I'm not sure about Freddie being dead, at least, I hope she's not. That's my line for Will and I don't want him to have crossed it. Loved Hannibal sitting there waiting for her in his onesie. 

In the shallower end of things, Hugh and Mads! Yowza! I think I kinda want a theremin now. Although the inevitable catch of Hannibal by Will makes a me a touch sad because...well, less shirtless Mads and more yucky jumpsuit. 

*steps out of the shallow end after checking for psycopathic orderlies*

(edited)

Did she ever explicitly state what he did to her? I know we saw the scars on her back and Hannibal mentioned Mason doing something to her (the details of which now escape me). The fact that he has a recording of her screaming for the pigs to listen to was horrific.

Edited : in a couple of interviews with Bryan Fuller over on The A.V. club, he states that they purposely do not state what Mason did/does to Margot - Mason is in general a sadist and a terrible person, but they probably will not go into specifics. So, my previous comment that Mason had raped her was not correct.

Here's the interview, if you want to check it out : http://www.avclub.com/article/hannibals-bryan-fuller-rebooting-season-two-halfwa-203515

Edited by swimmyfish

Regardless of whether Freddie is dead (I think no), the fact remains that Will has a freezer full of human!  And knowingly brought man meat [gross] to Hannibal!  For eating purposes!  Does this then make Will an anti-villain of sorts?

(edited)

Lots of things happening off screen, like Freddie's "death", And that's why I'm pretty sure she's still alive. And Chilton, probably. One thing I noticed is that first time Jack saw dead Randall  at the museum, Jack was completely alone. There weren't other cops with him, no museum workers. I had the feeling  that he  had gone there to see what Will had had to do,  that Randall wasn't "found" until some time later. 

And we saw that Will's keeping some  parts of Randall in his fridge, so I guess that's where the long pork was coming from. Now, if I were Will, after catching Hannibal I would become a strict vegetarian, that's for sure.

But I'm not sure Will's plan will work. We know that Jack's going to  go after Hannibal on his own and that doesn't sound like "we've got enough evidence against him".

Loved Mason, he was so sick and disturbing. The actor's great. I can't wait to see more scenes with Hannibal and him.

I didn't like the sex scene, though. Too cheesy to me. I didn't even know Will was still pinning for Alanna so to me, it didn't make sense. If he had fantasized about Hannibal  or Abigail... But Alanna?

And why was Hannibal wearing his plastic  suit in one scene? Who was he  trying to kill? Was he waiting for Freddie?

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 1
(edited)

He was sitting in Freddie's hotel room waiting for her return.

I'm just reading the TV Guide article now, and yeah, Bryan Fuller seems to be confirming that Will killed Freddie and that he and Hannibal did in fact eat her. I still don't know if I believe him, or if he's just trying to fake us out. But if it is true, then personally, I think that's a huge mistake. There's not much point in Will catching Hannibal only to deserve being in the next cell. 

Edited by heyerchick
  • Love 6

Edited : in a couple of interviews with Bryan Fuller over on The A.V. club, he states that they purposely do not state what Mason did/does to Margot - Mason is in general a sadist and a terrible person, but they probably will not go into specifics. So, my previous comment that Mason had raped her was not correct.

Here's the interview, if you want to check it out : http://www.avclub.com/article/hannibals-bryan-fuller-rebooting-season-two-halfwa-203515

The show did mention that she should have "taken the chocolate".

That episode had my jaw on the floor

Wait, are you Randall, littleIggy?!? I notice he's missing his jaw...

As weird/hot/um, no as it was, I too thought the 5-way-with-a-wendigo went on a bit too long.

Will has a freezer full of human!

Most of that was fish, if my eyes didn't deceive me.

After reading the avclub walkthrough, I admit I'm kind of fond of 'Randall Tooth Tiger.' Whatever that says about me, I let stand.

• Love 2

Love this comment from the recap:

Will begins to embrace, or at least allow to feel him up less reluctantly, his own Hannibalistic side, and one of the last obstacles to Hannibal's domination of the situation is removed.

Made me laugh out loud :)

• Love 1

If Thomas Harris' books are "canon", then Freddie is indeed alive.  And, as I said above, we've yet to meet Francis Dolarhyde. (so brilliantly played by Tom Noonan in "Manhunter".)

I don't think the books are "cannon" too much is already different, the case Will meets Hannibal in for example and the way Miriam figures out that Hannibal is the Chesapeake Ripper. 

• Love 2

Some interesting thoughts you guys have, but I stopped reading this thread on the third mention of what the previews for next week hold in store.

3. In my market, the three way dream scene was followed by one of those heinous Geico commercials, but before I could mute it, the actor said, "huh" in a bemused tone of voice. And, really, that was the perfect commentary on what had just happened.

I was just coming here to post this! I said "That about sums it up!"

• Love 1

Some interesting thoughts you guys have, but I stopped reading this thread on the third mention of what the previews for next week hold in store.

I'm sorry you don't like that, but we don't consider promos to be spoilers, so there will likely be promo talk in most episode threads around here.

• Love 1

The network puts the previews out there at the end of each episode, so they are fair game to discuss as far as I know.

• Love 2

I know part of it is purely personal: I adored prickly, awkward, distant Will from the first season and I miss that part of him.

I loved that Will too and  I look for that side of him whenever possible.  I think he's deep undercover right now however and playing a role.  I felt the prickliness a bit with Freddie, which made me happy (in the interview scene of course ...not the other scene).

I vote that Freddie is alive but unfortunately with a head wound.  Of course she did try to shoot him (she's a bad shot ...who knew?).  In a weird way this scene echoes Katz's death.  A female discovers a killer's secret stash of meat products and tries to shoot him.  

I still think Jack is in on it.  It's a horrible sick investigation.   One that requires them to mutilate bodies and knowingly eat human flesh.  But I believe Jack is that committed to getting the Ripper.  And of course Will is as well.  It's all about avenging Abigal and Katz at this point.  

But I wouldn't  mind seeing Margot and Will together a few more times.  Great chemistry and Hugh Dancy is rather pretty when he isn't staring blankly.

But of course my favorite moment is when Hannibal cleaned his hand wounds.  Yawza!  That's the real chemistry.  Clarice Starling has nothing on Will Graham.  No wonder Hannibal gets so angry with him in Red Dragon.  He's a total lover spurned.  I can only hope for a fantasy sequence.  

If Freddie is still alive then Chilton hopefully is really dead because two faked deaths would be a tad too much

This cracked me up, because all I could think is that it would be hilarious if people keep suspecting Hannibal loudly, forcing Will to get to them before they have to witness the power of the murder onesie, but he can't kill them because he's not actually the murderer Hannibal wants him to be...just imagine the clown car moment when they all troop out of hiding at the same time after Hannibal is finally put away for his crimes. 

I don't think Freddie is dead. I know Fuller has intimated in interviews that she is, but didn't he once imply that Miriam was dead, too. Look how that one turned out...at any rate, I like her for all her awfulness and I refuse to believe she's gone until I see a body. Also the way that she "caught" WIll was absolutely ridiculous. He knew she was scheduled for an interview, he knew that Hannibal was bound to off her after what Alana had told them at dinner (and thank you for that Alana, really), and he just so happens to be mysteriously absent when this notoriously nosy reporter is supposed to interview him? Right.

Best moment of the entire episode was Hannibal chilling out in Freddie's room, relaxing in his favorite murder onesie. It still makes me giggle to think about it. 

Mason desperately needs a comb. Seriously. I liked the way Pitt played him, but I was very distracted by the hair. I am glad that they're bringing in the pigs already, because that probably means 

that when the face eating goes down, they will be involved and not dogs.

Count me as another who was baffled by Will inserting Alana into his sex fantasy. I mean, I guess he probably still has feelings for her, maybe, but it just seems like there is so much between them that going there would be more uncomfortable than anything else. *shrugs* The whole sex scene was just weird and uncomfortable, actually. I don't like the sex on this show. Let's never do it again.

That last image was interesting. I think it is probably Will's greatest fear, actually. I still think he's a long way from becoming what he fears, even though he did enjoy killing Randall Tier. Of course, if if turns out Freddie really is dead, I might have to revise my opinion...

I am so glad Alana looks to be getting a bit of a clue, though it worries me considering her horrible habit of confronting the people she is suspicious of (or that others are suspicious of. See Freddie Lounds). 

• Love 4

Also the way that she "caught" WIll was absolutely ridiculous. He knew she was scheduled for an interview, he knew that Hannibal was bound to off her after what Alana had told them at dinner (and thank you for that Alana, really), and he just so happens to be mysteriously absent when this notoriously nosy reporter is supposed to interview him? Right.

Best moment of the entire episode was Hannibal chilling out in Freddie's room, relaxing in his favorite murder onesie. It still makes me giggle to think about it.

Thank you!  This gives me hope.  I really don't want her to be dead.  I'm not sure how you allow Will to have a happy life if he really did kill her.  Randall Tier was self defense.  If he enjoyed it ...well, the man has issues.  But killing her is just too much.  So here's hoping Fuller is a big fat liar.  

"Murder onesie".  Nice one.  

(edited)
There's not much point in Will catching Hannibal only to deserve being in the next cell.

I agree. It has to be a setup, because if it's not there's not really a show anymore. I didn't sign up for the buddy-cop serial killer show, where Hannibal and Will ride off happily into the sunset with Jack stomping on his stetson hat in the dust clouds behind them.

Edited by Pixel

Count me as another who was baffled by Will inserting Alana into his sex fantasy.

In one of his interviews, Bryan Fuller said that, apart from the feelings between Alana and Will, the idea was that Will gave into Margot's seduction even knowing that with her "proclivities" she probably didn't really desire him, because he was fantasizing about Alana, the woman HE truly desired (and for whom he is afraid). I presume this is so that it would not come across as Will taking advantage of a distraught Margot, and it'd even out the power dynamic to make it clear that they were both using each other.

So... on the upside, if Bryan Fuller has gone to that much trouble to sympathetically justify Will's decision to have meaningless sex, then he must not be willing to let Will go FULL darkside! There is hope for Freddie!

• Love 1

I think he could have made the sex meaningful, rather than excusing/explaining away meaningless. I know Margot had a specific agenda, but the part of the scene that worked for me was Will and Margot gently comparing scars. I could have bought a quiet exchange of comfort on the grounds that they're both utterly fucked, you know? When Hannibal Lecter is all you've got in your corner, a cuddle with someone who's in that pain as much as you is not beyond the bounds.

• Love 1