Type keyword(s) to search

I Love Dick - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Airing on Amazon; original pilot dropped August 19, 2016, with the show picked up, the rest of the first season will drop on May 12, 2017.

Adapted from the lauded feminist novel, I LOVE DICK is set in a colorful academic community in Marfa, Texas. It tells the story of a struggling married couple, Chris and Sylvere, and their obsession with a charismatic professor named Dick. Told in Rashomon-style shifts of POV, I LOVE DICK charts the unraveling of a marriage, the awakening of an artist and the deification of a reluctant messiah.

Kind of disappointed that this show is generating so little chatter -- I watched it over the weekend and am urging a couple of my female friends to tune in so we can discuss it. "A Short History of Weird Girls" was the best episode of the bunch, I thought. When I saw in the NYT that playwright Annie Baker was one of the writers of this ep, I decided to watch the entire series since I'm a huge fan of hers (as well as of Heidi Schreck, another young playwright who also worked on the show). Anyway, this episode features four of the female characters talking about their lives straight to camera. It's beautifully shot and written. I highly recommend checking it out even if you don't watch the whole show (though I did wind up enjoying the entire series; it's unlike anything else I've ever seen, that's for sure.)

• Love 1
(edited)

Kathryn Hahn (I Love Dick), America Ferrera (Superstore), Emmy Rossum (Shameless), Issa Rae (Insecure), Minnie Driver (Speechless), and Pamela Adlon (Better Things) at the Hollywood Reporter's comedy actress roundtable:

Anthony Anderson (Black-ish), Kevin Bacon (I Love Dick), Brian Tyree Henry (Atlanta), Ted Danson (The Good Place), William H. Macy (Shameless), and Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) at the Hollywood Reporter's comedy actor roundtable:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I just finished watching this. The performances were very good -- I thought all six of the principals did a great job.

But ...

Are we supposed to think the whole thing was Chris PMSing? Because that's where I was left at the end. 

Was that a miscarriage at the end?  The final episode started with her being visited by her abortion and miscarriage in the pool.  That was way too much blood for the start of a period.  Maybe if it was a series written/directed/produced by men, I'd view that as their representation of a period.

I watched this (in a space of 24 hours--yikes) because Chana Joffe Walt cited it as an influence on her incredible episode of This American Life, Five Women

Still processing--it's really thought provoking regarding art and feminism. (And marriage.)