Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E21: The Return

• Start Topic

So many unexpected twists and turns... ending with the return of the Ghost Rider!  I squeed like a little girl.

The woman-scorned plot line is a little hackneyed, but the actors are doing such a good job I can overlook it.  Fitz's breakdown at the end was heart wrenching.

• Love 7

Damn, there's good, there's awesome, and there's this show since the 15th episode this season.  They continue to kill it.

Mallory Jensen is doing a fantastic job as AIDA going completely bugnuts.  That was some damn good horror movie work with her stalking and killing SHIELD agents.  Rest in Peace Davis, I did think you were Ward when you saved Fitz.

Ghost Rider and May will team up to take down AIDA, she doesn't stand a chance.

• Love 14

There was such a contrast in mannerisms between LMD Aida and real-girl Aida.  The intensity of her anger and despair at Fitz was shocking after a season of calm.  Even naturalistic interactions with them on the beach and in the apartment were a surprise.

Poor Fitz and poor Simmons.  They needed a hug.  Fitz called it with the parallels between himself and Ward in the real world and the Framework.  That is going to be especially painful for him.

Good to see the general, but of course they are at odds again.  And good to see Ghost Rider because they are going to need him.

• Love 12

I can't believe I haven't taken the opportunity to praise the incredible job Mallory Jansen has done as Aida/Agnes/Madame Hydra before now.  It's amazing how different her face looks when she's playing an LMD (or the simulated Ophelia) and when she's playing someone human.  It's amazing how much she can do with just facial expressions and body language, it almost makes her look like a completely different actress.  I first noticed it when Agnes was introduced and was pleased to notice the difference again in Aida's new human body.  The new life in her form is so obvious and impressive.

So I guess Aida has all of the Inhuman powers now?  We've seen her use Gordon's, Alicia's, Lincoln's, and that one Inhuman Watchdog whose name I forget.  Who knows what else she's got going on?

Speaking of great performance, Elizabeth was killing it again this week.  My heart was breaking for Jemma.  I was really scared for a moment that they were going to drag a love triangle between Jemma, Fitz and Aida out.  What a relief that they decided not to go down that path!

• Love 19

YoYo is not that bright....Daisy has to go save her before saving Mack... Which means she wakes up with Ward again...Can Ghost Rider get into the Framework without melting the headset????

• Love 2

I think Mallory Jansen is absolutely nailing Aida/Agnes/Ophelia. It's impressive to see three different versions, and I think they've all been distinguishable. What I find interesting is that as a human, Ophelia isn't pure evil. Yeah, she's pretty evil, but she showed moments where she could have been good under different circumstances. However, her programming was flawed with the Fitz factor and that affected her as she was made into a human. Now her obsession with Fitz is surely getting her killed, but her being an "infant" with human emotions (good on the Russian for using that word, because it is so accurate) won't be able to handle much more. Man, her screaming was actually terrifying but it makes sense. She's not used to human emotion. She felt joy and wonderment at the beginning, which made it easy to see a different side and think that she could be good. But because she can't control anyone anymore, Fitz's reaction was something she couldn't handle.

Meanwhile, Fitz is still having to deal with his two lives being complete opposites and he's going to be having an identity crisis for a while. At least Jemma will be around to help him through it. I may not like them as a romantic couple, but I love their friendship and undying loyalty to one another. I'm glad they legit shut down any resemblance of a love triangle. I mean, we'll still get one, but it'll be a more twisted stalkery version. 

Man, May's look when Fitz told her that Aida had done something with those Inhumans they experimented on was chilling. 

Oh, Talbot. You never fail to make me laugh. I also laughed at Coulson trying to explain what was going on. 

I'm honestly not a fan of when characters have to be stupid and do things they're not supposed to do, all for "true love" or whatever. Sorry Yo Yo, but you were warned. I wonder how they'll get out. I assume Mack will attempt to find a way to bring back Hope. I don't think he'll succeed, but I can totally see them finding the machine and figuring it out. Does anyone in the Framework know about the machine? 

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Now her obsession with Fitz is surely getting her killed, but her being an "infant" with human emotions (good on the Russian for using that word, because it is so accurate) won't be able to handle much more.

The scenes between Ophelia and The Russian were really well done, and it's amazing that a network TV show would spend that much time and effort on scenes between two guest actors. 

16 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I assume Mack will attempt to find a way to bring back Hope. I don't think he'll succeed, but I can totally see them finding the machine and figuring it out. Does anyone in the Framework know about the machine? 

The technicians who were scanning Madam Hydra might know about it, but it shouldn't matter:  the actual body-creating machine was located on the oil rig in the real world which was destroyed tonight.  I don't think anyone is coming back besides Mack and Yo-Yo.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Does anyone in the Framework know about the machine? 

Isn't Radcliffe still alive within the framework? He would know.  I don't remember him dying near the exit point, though he might have. 

• Love 1

Ophelia: Oh, my. I have feelings. And I feel so bad for you. I'm so sorry.

Fitz: It's nice that becoming a real human has given you perspective. And now, I'm going to tell you that I love Jemma, even though I wronged her so much in the Framework. "FitzSimmons" will be this show's OTP, because "Philinda" seems like a reach, even with the sparks.

[long pause]

Fitz: Ophelia?

Ophelia: DIE DIE DEATH KILL KILL DEATH SLAY BURN . . .

Fitz: Was it something I said?

Talbot: I'm back to remind people that I exist, and that I am the biggest buzzkill on this series, even if it takes so long to swallow the stories.

Ghost Rider: Anybody miss me? I'm just gonna tear through the plot red tape and do the bitchin' thing where I wrap the chain around myself. Hey, Marvel!! Why give another season for Iron Fist when I'm still kicking?!?

• Love 19

Oh, Talbot.  You're suck a dick, but you are always welcome on this show!

Certainly would never want to break Mallory Jansen's heart, even if it was just acting!  While the "scorned woman" plot has been overdone, I don't mind it too much this go around, since it makes sense that Aida/Ophelia is new to emotions and being rejected by the guy she loves (or thinks she loves), would send her into a vengeful tailspin.  But, really, it's her performance that is just making it work.  She was scary as hell in all of this, but still kind of sympathetic.  I suspect this will be her last season, but I certainly hope this isn't the last of her on television.

And that's just part of the problem, as there now is also a whole group of angry Superior/Russian robots, who still wants take out SHIELD. And they and Ophelia are going to make another attempt!

Interesting seeing how the Framework is still going to effect Coulson, Melinda, and Fitz (and hopefully Mack) going forward, since they still maintain the memories and experiences from that life as well.  That's going to have lasting effects.  Poor Fitz.  While I'm not sure his comparison to Ward is 100% accurate, I can see why he would see the similarities.  Glad Simmons comforted him at the end, but this probably just the beginning of working out a whole bunch of issues.  Once again, Iain De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge shine.

It's only a matter of time before Melinda finds out what else you and Robot Melinda did, Coulson!  I totally forgot how long the real Melinda was out of commission, until Coulson gave her a recap.

I'm all for saving poor Mack, but Yo Yo plunging herself into the Framework is pretty damn reckless.

Oh, shit!  Robbie is back!  I guess Ghost Rider's got some souls to collect!

Can't wait for the finale.  Curious to see how this plays out, and who will be left standing.

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, xqueenfrostine said:

I can't believe I haven't taken the opportunity to praise the incredible job Mallory Jansen has done as Aida/Agnes/Madame Hydra before now.  It's amazing how different her face looks when she's playing an LMD (or the simulated Ophelia) and when she's playing someone human.  It's amazing how much she can do with just facial expressions and body language, it almost makes her look like a completely different actress.  I first noticed it when Agnes was introduced and was pleased to notice the difference again in Aida's new human body.  The new life in her form is so obvious and impressive.

I was impressed that Agnes and AIDA were so clearly differentiated. AIDA and Madame Hydra seemed more like two sides of the same coin, but the newly human Ophelia is so fully realized as someone else -- it struck me how she moves differently from the other characters Jansen is playing. Not just her facial expressions, her body language, but the mechanics of motion itself. I hate every last little thing about AIDA, and I still think Ophelia is pretty transparent (and untruthful) in her self-justification, but, damn, Jansen is doing a fantastic job.

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Once again, Iain De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge shine.

This certainly bears repeating.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 9

Forgot to mention . . . the Russian (or whatever he's called) said he was (and I might not be remembering correctly) "designed only to kill." The first thought in my head: "MODOK?!?" I mean, no way with a network budget, but I like my hopes raised.

• Love 4

This has really been the best season to date. I was thrilled to see Robbie again and Ophelia (sp) is a formidable villain. I'm sad that last week is the season finale. I swear if ABC doesn't renew this show I will be super pissed. 

• Love 7
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Forgot to mention . . . the Russian (or whatever he's called) said he was (and I might not be remembering correctly) "designed only to kill." The first thought in my head: "MODOK?!?" I mean, no way with a network budget, but I like my hopes raised.

I have been saying that since Aida cut off his head. When MODOK Superior he drop the "designed only to kill" line I was wondering who I could claim my no prize from. But I was wondering also why they drop the Superior and went with the Russian.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Yes! Robbie's back! I was hoping we'd see him return of the finale.

Dammit Yo-yo! There are too possible scenarios: She returns with Mack back to the real world or she stays with him in there with Hope.

All the FitzSimmons stuff hit me so hard. I don't want this to be the last season but if it is I hope people in the industry take notice on how great Iain and Elizabeth both are.

Yikes. I've seen people take badly to rejection for but Aida/Ophelia takes the cake. Agree wholeheartedly with all the comments of how great Mallory Jensen is.

This whole season has been great. The three separate arcs that were different but still connected through the Darkhold with Ghost Rider coming full circle. Very impressed with Jed and Maurissa.

• Love 7

I have to agree with everyone about how talented Mallory Jensen is.  When we first met Agnes, I actually had to look up on IMDB to see if it was two different actresses.  Makeup was great at changing the face just enough to give Agnes some softness that AIDA doesn't have but the actress was able to change all of her mannerisms to differentiate them as two (now three) completely different characters. 

I'm looking forward to next week but also don't want this to end.  This back half of the season has been one of their strongest yet.  I'm hoping that ABC will take notice and renew this for next year. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Gonna join in on the love for Mallory.  She was sensational tonight.  I mean, did you see the cavalcade of emotions through which she took Aida/Ophelia?  From pure shock and confusion at her new reality to wonder and joy at her new sensations to regret and remorse over what she'd done to Coulson, May, Mack, and especially Fitz to nobility in saving Mack's body from drowning to warmth in helping Fitz through his own guilt over what he'd done to shock once again when Fitz dropped the hammer that he loved Simmons to complete murderous rage and scorn over her rejection, she was killing it tonight!  Easily the MVP of this episode, IMO.

Iain and Elizabeth tie for second place with their joint and separate performances.  Fitz's guilt over his actions in the Framework and his fear of how Simmons would see him were spot on, and Simmons's own sorrow over the man Fitz had been in the Framework and not knowing what their future together was, was heartbreaking.

I liked the continuation of Coulson and May's reunion, too.  May clearly was hurt that Coulson couldn't detect that something was off sooner, and Coulson was clearly guilty that he hadn't.  Daisy was great in holding up Talbot in the standoff.  Yo-Yo and Piper made for great support, and I'm glad the latter at least emerged alive after Aida went crazy.  Poor Davis and the black agent.  Yo-Yo gets credit, as well, for, in spite of her despair over Mack not leaving the Framework, still being willing to put that aside and help the team.  She even correctly guessed Simmons's fears of Fitz loving Aida rather than him loving her.  But that was dumb to just plug herself into the Framework like that.  I wonder where she ended up?

ROBBIE!  I can't wait to see where his return leads!

Really sad that they couldn't have just combined this episode with next week's.  Are the two-hour-finale days over now?

Edited by Nalan
  • Love 6

Wow, Mallory Jansen! She was amazing. The way she ran through Ophelia's emotions and rationalizations and then bam, became completely unhinged. 

Loved Coulson and May's reunion and the awkwardness on Coulson's part. He's totally pining for her now, lol.

Oh, FitzSimmons. Has any pairing gone through so much angst? I was in tears along with Jemma when she was watching Fitz and Ophelia. And when he couldn't look at her. Also an interesting moment when Fitz noted that he's just like Ward.

I don't want this season to end. It's been so good!

• Love 7

I felt the least invested in this episode of all that have been in this run, but it still had good elements and I've loved the arc. I think it was the fact that the stakes just didn't feel as high now that they're outside the framework. Credit the show, I could feel the oppression during the previous three episodes. Even with Talbot crashing the party and Ophelia's powers, there's a certain freedom that comes with being back in the real world.

I agree that Mallory Jensen was fantastic again. It's basically the fourth character she's played on the show. And Iain continues to knock it out of the park. But my favourite moment was when Simmons iced Ophelia and Fitz and wore the pain and relief with a hint of smug on her face.

• Love 6

This show has been great and getting it's guest stars to give really good/great performances. Bill Paxton (RIP), Kyle MacLachlan, Gabriel Luna, Edward James Olmos, Powers Boothe, Dichen Lachman, etc.

And Mallory Jansen is no exception. She's been great, and great at playing multiple versions of the same character (which is all the more impressive).

Also the cool thing about Aida as a villain for me is that I both hate her and empathize with her to a degree at the same time.

• Love 16
(edited)

The Aida/Framework story line has been good, but I am dismayed that it has returned SHIELD back to an outlaw, underground group of ragtag misfits. SHIELD, as an organization,  is as off-and-on as Fitz-Simmons.  It must truly suck to be an SHIELD agent  who isn't part of the six to ten main agents. Where do the redshirt agents go when SHIELD is on the outs? Do they have to continually open and close the SHIELD academy programs, labs, outposts, etc? 

It also sucks that the big bad threat to the world has  grown out of AoS's bad decisions. Coulson really should not be in command anymore. I have never like Coulson's nonchalant attitude towards all the dead agents, except for his special team members. It seems he should have been as horrified as Talbot was, instead of being flippant.  

I was confused as to what happened to AIDA, since she is not really Ophelia and was outside the Framework, monitoring it with the Russian. Is AIDA still around? Is she in the Cloud now? The multiple Russian bots is an interesting development - - their headless leader could create a robot army -- the dream of all evil masterminds. 

AoS has certainly been unpredictable this season. I have no idea what the status of SHIELD will be after next week's season finale. Will it be disbanded due to AoS's iffy chances of renewal? 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 4
(edited)

Possible TRIGGER WARNING:

Not to go somewhere unwarranted, but am I the only one who saw a rape survivor angle in Fitz's story? The violations of his mind and his (Framework) body, the shame, the inability to look his loved ones in the eyes and admit what had happened -- it's really tragic what Aida put him through. And this episode kicked off with full on gaslighting: "Every decision you made was your own."

This show should have pulled more focus to Elizabeth and Iain sooner. Because damn.

Edited by jmonique
  • Love 22
6 hours ago, Nalan said:

But that was dumb to just plug herself into the Framework like that.  I wonder where she ended up?

She was strapped to a table like she was about to be experimented on by Hydra, but the floor around her was covered in debris.  I wonder if the Framework Rebellion has attacked the Triskellion building.  I also wonder how the hell she's going to get Mack out -- she didn't take one of Simmons' escape route devices, and the backdoor is still covered with molten steel.

1 hour ago, shrewd.buddha said:

I was confused as to what happened to AIDA, since she is not really Ophelia and was outside the Framework, monitoring it with the Russian. Is AIDA still around?

Previous episode, Coulson killed her.  It was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene where her decapitated body was lying on the floor.

27 minutes ago, jmonique said:

Not to go somewhere unwarranted, but am I the only one who saw a rape survivor angle in Fitz's story?

I can see that.  I thought it was more along the lines of an escaped cult member, or Patty Hearst.

• Love 8

Was I imagining things, or was Fitz squeezing the hand that he had trouble with during his Season 2 brain trauma recovery subtly throughout this episode? If so, nice touch with Fitz trying to deal with this most recent trauma.

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said. All these actors are fantastic, with Iain, Elizabeth, and Mallory really bringing it. (Mallory's performance in particular makes up for not getting that third season of Galavant ;-) )

• Love 14
(edited)

I loved the fact that May is suspicious about what went on with her "robot self," but not condemning Coulson until he confesses that he drank the scotch. Then it's "You piece of -- ! "

The fact that the network show has to work around profanity in ways that its Netflix cousins don't have to bother with I find kind of charming.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 17

While the "scorned woman" plot has been overdone, I don't mind it too much this go around, since it makes sense that Aida/Ophelia is new to emotions and being rejected by the guy she loves (or thinks she loves), would send her into a vengeful tailspin.  But, really, it's her performance that is just making it work.  She was scary as hell in all of this, but still kind of sympathetic.  

Yes, this. It's completely believable, she's a toddler throwing a tantrum because she doesn't have the experience and knowledge to deal with the emotion of rejection. Every emotion she's feeling is HUGE and overwhelming. I was brought to tears by her joy when she saved Mac... that feeling of having done good, someone called it nobility but it's also pride and generosity, also being welcomed and appreciated by those she loves (Fitz praising her for it) -- that rush of utter joy on her face was magnificent.

So, yes, you could empathize with her. She was *trying* to be a good human. Empathy instead of fear. Regret over the pain she had caused others, and the desire to atone for that.

But the raging emotions inside her, good and bad, were just too overwhelming. She was this close to the edge of insanity at every moment. If she had had a calm introduction to life as a human -- carefully controlled, gently guided through her emotions like we guide children, until she had the emotional maturity to cope on her own -- she could have become a 'good person'. The potential was there. But instead, she was thrust into this chaotic and confusing environment and forced too quickly to deal with things she wasn't ready for.

And when she got shot... and shot, again and again... for a moment I thought she would actually be killed. And I started crying again, because it was a true tragedy.

Gorgeous show. Amazing.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, paigow said:

Can Boris Badonov read the Darkhold? Will it fry his human "Source Code" brain?

They went with Uncle Eli having his brain fried in a quest for revenge over being an overlooked engineer among the scientists. However MODOK Superior already had a fried brain going after Coulson as the man who brought aliens and Inhumans to earth.

That Ophellia has turned herself into the ultimate Inhuman I am guessing that he will turn his attention to her and Ghost Rider goes after his Darkhold enhanced soul.

• Love 1

"Girl is running on pure fury. I've never felt anything like it."

9 hours ago, Nalan said:

Yo-Yo gets credit, as well, for, in spite of her despair over Mack not leaving the Framework, still being willing to put that aside and help the team.  She even correctly guessed Simmons's fears of Fitz loving Aida rather than him loving her.  But that was dumb to just plug herself into the Framework like that.  I wonder where she ended up?

From the looks of it, Hydra headquarters while it was being overrun by the resistance. Which means she's probably going to be ok once someone finds her. 

• Love 5

Great episode.  Except for the end.  I didn't need to see Ghost Rider ever again... I found the first arc of this season really tedious and I was glad when he was banished.  Ghost Rider ate the special effects budget, which is why they made up this stupid reason for Daisy not being able to Quake.

How is it that Mack didn't die as soon as the water shorted out the machine keeping him alive?  We were also told previously that if he wasn't connected to the Framework, his mind would fry, or something like that.  He was disconnected when Ophelia teleported him, and it would have taken some time to hook him back up.

Eager to see how Yo Yo saves him in the Framework.  I'm hoping that we can see Ward again.  I really thought that one of those new SHIELD agents that came and saved Fitz was Ward, looked a lot like him.

So the team is facing a supervillainess with multiple powers (teleportation, lightning, regeneration/healing at least).  Why again aren't they calling in the heavy hitters?  There should at least be a mention of calling in the Avengers.  Scarlet Witch (and Doctor Strange) are tailor-made to fight Ophelia.  The team isn't aware that Ghost Rider has returned, and is their plan really going to be to have just Daisy take Ophelia out?  Daisy is overmatched in that fight.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Nalan said:

She even correctly guessed Simmons's fears of Fitz loving Aida rather than him loving her.

Yep -- except I'd say this is an example of empathy rather than guesswork. She is experiencing something parallel with Mack and Hope.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Great episode.  Except for the end.  I didn't need to see Ghost Rider ever again... I found the first arc of this season really tedious and I was glad when he was banished.  Ghost Rider ate the special effects budget, which is why they made up this stupid reason for Daisy not being able to Quake.

How is it that Mack didn't die as soon as the water shorted out the machine keeping him alive?  We were also told previously that if he wasn't connected to the Framework, his mind would fry, or something like that.  He was disconnected when Ophelia teleported him, and it would have taken some time to hook him back up.

Eager to see how Yo Yo saves him in the Framework.  I'm hoping that we can see Ward again.  I really thought that one of those new SHIELD agents that came and saved Fitz was Ward, looked a lot like him.

So the team is facing a supervillainess with multiple powers (teleportation, lightning, regeneration/healing at least).  Why again aren't they calling in the heavy hitters?  There should at least be a mention of calling in the Avengers.  Scarlet Witch (and Doctor Strange) are tailor-made to fight Ophelia.  The team isn't aware that Ghost Rider has returned, and is their plan really going to be to have just Daisy take Ophelia out?  Daisy is overmatched in that fight.

Did Yo-yo interact with Hive? I think given the timeline she was there, but I can't recall if she actually dealt with him. Could be a little overwhelmed if he comes rushing in to save the day. I hope no one else goes back into the Framework, but that our heroes that are in there, get their send-off by helping Yo-yo and Mack out. I pray that Mack's time since seeing the Framework glitch forces him to realize it's not real.

I think it will be Ghost Rider to bring her down, which I'm okay with in the confines of the show. But I would really enjoy seeing Wanda contain her.

• Love 5

This season has been killing it this arc. Its just so well done with a super exciting plot and great character work and acting from both our regulars and the guest stars who are giving it 100%. I loved Mallory Jansen back in Galavant, but she is just blowing my mind here. The way she plays all the different versions of Aida/Madam Hydra/Ophelia/Agnes is just a sight to behold. This episode especially, as she ran the entire gambit of human emotions, from happiness to excitement to remorse to more happiness to empathetic to rage to grief. I know this isn't the kind of show that wins Emmys, but it really is tragic that Mallory wont even be considered for a Outstanding Guest Actress. I can guarantee she is giving a better performance than half the people who will be nominated just because they're well known actors or on a prestige show.

Speaking of great acting, Elizabeth and Iain really are just wonderful here. They make my heart hurt in the best way possible. It kills me that they keep making poor FitzSimmons suffer, but I can understand why they're doing it. They both look sad in the most beautiful ways possible. Oh Fitz. Not only does he have to live with the memories of the horrible things he did, he now has a crazy super powered stalker who is in love with him and was creepily trying to gaslight him into thinking that he really WAS that evil guy and that he SHOULD be in love with her because she says so. And Simmons comforting him while he was crying! It will be tough, but I think those crazy kids could make it!

I also enjoyed May and Coulson, and how they're trying to deal with their memories from the Framework, as well as their general unresolved problems and relationship. I cracked up when Coulson said that May always acted like a robot, but its clear that May does actually feel upset that no one could tell that she was replaced by a robot.

It was weird because I actually did feel bad for Aida here, you can see that she was so happy being a human and her feelings and remorse were real, and she felt something really happy when she saved Mack (and saving Mack is certainly going to make me like someone more), but she also doesn't have the maturity to understand that a relationship has to be a two way street. As Fitz said, it doesn't work like that. She thinks that because she loves Fitz, that she is now entitled to have him all to herself, which, I hope goes without saying, is not really how this is supposed to work. I felt bad for her, but she's also VERY scary and murderous, and her violent reactions towards Fitz were just creepy. And her trying to convince him that this was his true self or something made her seem like some kind of domestic abuser trying to keep her victim from leaving her.

Really, someone should just hand Aida a copy of He`s Just Not That Into You.

And now Robbie is here! Awesome! Demon possessed biker versus former robot turned supervillain! This is what I'm here for!

• Love 13
18 hours ago, blackwing said:

Plot handwave.

I want to know who was the idiot who connected the database containing all the Inhuman data with the LMD database (which AIDA then took into the "make me into a Real Boy machine"). Whoever did that is responsible for RealBoy!AIDA and her surfeit of Inhuman powers.

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I know this isn't the kind of show that wins Emmys, but it really is tragic that Mallory wont even be considered for a Outstanding Guest Actress. I can guarantee she is giving a better performance than half the people who will be nominated just because they're well known actors or on a prestige show.

I'd imagine this season is going to sweep next year's Saturn Awards.  So while it won't get Emmy Awards, it should get Saturn Awards.

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Really, someone should just hand Aida a copy of He`s Just Not That Into You.

I watched the scene between Ophelia and Fitz in the containment room twice, because I was actually surprised at her reaction to learning that Leopold loved Jemma -- from her responses up until the moment of "What do you mean, 'her'?" I was fooled into thinking that she understood where Fitz was going. The lines about "Poor thing, you're a romantic" and "a pain that feels good, if that makes sense" suggested to me that the pain she was alluding to was knowing that she must come second in his affections. I guess her reaction was intended by that means to be all the more startling. (Because, yeah. Yeeks.)

I'm not sure I understand how the Russian's restrictions were lifted. He's still in the android body, or rather, bodies, so he doesn't (I don't think) get the Real Boy Machine (tm) treatment -- so did it just happen automatically? Did I miss something?

I'm hoping for a Special Guest Appearance by Dr. Strange to put Ophelia down -- but I could enjoy watching Wanda take her on.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

I'm not really into the romantic misery porn of Fitz-Simmons, but the writers seem determined to dial it up to 11.  Every season, it only gets worse.  Is there some large segment of the AoS audience that is really clamoring for this?
For me, personally, I feel as if I have to wade through the ultra-angst stuff to get the sci-fi and action-adventure parts. 
It's not encouraging that they are laying the groundwork for more of the same with Coulson and May, as well as Yo-Yo and Mack. 

I could be wrong, but I feel that AoS would benefit from giving the team some clear and outright wins. It seems as if  the Whedonesque standard story line is to always undercut any victories with almost equal loss and to have perpetually unhappy heroes.  (... along with everyone having come from miserable childhoods).

Bittersweet is an interesting flavor - but after a while you'd like to taste something different. Though I am not expecting any drastic change of style with next week's season finale. 

• Love 5

When Ophelia is threatening one of Anton Ivanov's robot bodies (around 22 minutes in) he says, "Destroy this body, sure. It was designed only for killing."

Only for Killing? So is he a Mechanized Organism Designed Only for Killing?

modok.jpg

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:45 AM, Lantern7 said:

Whoops. You got there first.

There is no way that they can wrap up the defeat of Ophelia and the Russian in one episode right?  It will be fun, Ghost Rider can banish them to the other dimension with his uncle and they can cause havoc in another dimension together.

I know it couldn't last, but I actually found the Framework story line a lot more compelling.  Less "super" villains, and more "regular" villains with "regular" heroes.  They have to give this another season or this will be one of the most abrupt endings to a series ever.

And ditto on all the Mallory Jansen love, all her emoting was on point, even her insecurities on how to express her emotions to Fitz when they were sitting next to each other etc.  And yeah, maybe figure out a real containment system for her before you break her immature heart.  I guess he never had to break up with someone before.

• Love 2

What a fantastic episode - it was nonstop.  The one bit that didn't really make sense was her being hesitant to save Mack because she was afraid to die and they were waiting back at the oil rig to shoot her.  Clearly, that wouldn't have killed her so in retrospect, feeling like she showed potential for good by risking her own life was false.  

The other thing that stood out is when Fitz was talking about how hard it must have been for Jemma to see him shoot that woman.  I was like forget that woman; what about how hard it was for Jemma when you shot her?

I am so sad that next week is the season finale. 

• Love 3

She did risk her life to save Mack.  She showed up on the Russian submarine first, and tried to persuade the Russian not to go on with the attack, but it was too late.  To save Mack she had to go aboard a collapsing underwater lair.  There was no guarantee she could teleport out before being crushed by debris.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:47 PM, mac123x said:

The technicians who were scanning Madam Hydra might know about it, but it shouldn't matter:  the actual body-creating machine was located on the oil rig in the real world which was destroyed tonight.  I don't think anyone is coming back besides Mack and Yo-Yo.

Coulson specified that the underwater base "fell off" the rig.  So, we'll see it again.

Of course, even if Hope made it to the real world, she couldn't swim to the surface.

Ward, though...

I think that the tragedy behind Ophelia's character is that she wanted to  a "good human."  at how she reacted when she saved Mack.  And, with enough time and the right guidance, maybe she could be.  But she's not getting either right now.

And yeah, poor Fitz really needs to learn how to let a girl down easy.  That was NOT the right way to handle that particular situation.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bats27 said:

I think that the tragedy behind Ophelia's character is that she wanted to  a "good human."  at how she reacted when she saved Mack.  And, with enough time and the right guidance, maybe she could be.  But she's not getting either right now.

And yeah, poor Fitz really needs to learn how to let a girl down easy.  That was NOT the right way to handle that particular situation.

Yea but Fitz had no choice in dating Aida in the framework either so not sure I agree with letting her down easy cause he did not have choice in dating her to begin with

• Love 2