Type keyword(s) to search

Nate And Jeremiah By Design - General Discussion

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

I'm not sure that there is a problem in the relationship.  Certainly don't see it in anything on screen.  I've not see it mentioned at all in press.  Whya do we think there is a problem?

That was my question. There were several posts about the 'Jeremiah problem' but I don't see it 

I don't either. That was the only thing I could think of that could possibly creep up in a relationship when only one person can obviously be a bio parent. 

I certainly don't wish any problems on them. As I said above, I think they're a cute couple, and Poppy is ADORABLE! 

• Love 4

Watched the last episode of the season - clearly the design and colors were to the homeowner's taste and not theirs (or mine), but what seemed like a real mistake to me was that the large frameless painting blended in to the wall color, that seemed wrong to me.

Although I like seeing things done with color, even when I am not all that fond of the colors, as I am not a fan of white, white, white.

Also, lol at the daybed not fitting.....

I appreciate  N & J took a design challenge that was way out of their ID comfort zone and in the end did a good job

I also thought I'd ever say - I liked the  pink kitchen!

LOL too - J's rookie mistake not measuring to see if daybed would fit through doorways and halls.

I like Nate and Jeremiah and of course, Poppy. She's such a cutie pie and obviously such a happy little girl! Good for them on that. I have liked most of their renovations but that "calling in a lot of favors for expensive flooring, lighting, furniture, etc" is just so ridiculous. Could we have just one renovation show that's actually truthful and realistic? Just one time?! I guess not but what a refreshing idea that is, at least for me. I'm beyond fatigued with the same damn formula ALL. THE. TIME. EVERY. DAY. And yes, I am shouting!!

• Love 2

I also like this show. It strikes me as an outlier in the TLC lineup, and I mean that as a compliment. Like @Gam2, I'm over the "calling in favors" story line. They need to move on from that. 

In the last episode, I thought it was fine that the wall color matched the background of the donated painting. There were so many other colors and patterns going on in that space, that the blend with the wall color IMO helped anchor the painting and made it easier to really look at it.

But it cracked me up that the episode showed them picking that blue wall color, the color going on, and *then* N&J going to the artist's gallery, being told they could have any painting they wanted, and (gosh) picking that very painting. With the background in exactly the same shade of blue they had already picked for the wall. Heh. Editing glitch.

I really liked this episode, with the exception of the daybed fiasco.  How embarrassing!

Loved the Shag painting.  Loved the retro fridge.  I still maintain they put too much furniture and "stuff" in every remodel.  When you move back in you don't have room for another picture frame or beloved item.  I thought the reflection room was asi-asi or so so in English.

15 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I also thought I'd ever say - I liked the  pink kitchen!

I loved it too!  Have you seen this link?

• Love 2

The issue with the flooring was odd - they originally showed the couple a hand-scraped matte almost grey-toned wood which they couple liked. Then the next thing they showed was an entire garagefull of boxes of a glossy chestnut wood. Completely different.

Then, when she picked out a new floor, it looked VERY gray to me.  Then we come to the final reveal and the floor didn't look that gray.  Could be the lighting, I suppose, but still.

These were the folks whose daughter had cancer and the house flooded.  I wish they had shown us the son's room!  I would think that they did the room since they had the son pick out a paint color.  I'm thrilled that the daughter loved her room. That was touching.

Making a mental note to find the main water shut off valve to my house.  I'm 99% sure that I know where it is, but I'm not sure if it is easily accessible in the basement with all of our stuff.  I know it doesn't matter if you are out of the house when a pipe bursts, but in the chance that you are at home, it is an important thing to know.

Making a mental note to find the main water shut off valve to my house.  I'm 99% sure that I know where it is, but I'm not sure if it is easily accessible in the basement with all of our stuff.  I know it doesn't matter if you are out of the house when a pipe bursts, but in the chance that you are at home, it is an important thing to know.

This is a unrational fear of mine.  I have a system that senses a leak and shuts off the main.  I always feared this and one day I'm getting ready to leave the house and I hear rushing water.  Serious water.  I'm running around looking at outdoor faucets etc.  I go into the basement laundry and the water is coming so hard and fast that it is literally raining.  It was a washer hose and the velocity of the water shooting at the ceiling made it look like rain.  My water shut off is 10 feet from the door.  And the water damage in a 10 minute free flow was awe inspiring.  So I bought a shut off system.

There were a few things that bugged me about this episode.  I didn't really like how they kept having to emphasize they would never do a house in these colors, etc, etc....I get what they are saying but it started to become a bit much.  The pink kitchen really lacked cabinets in the end....no shelves or upper cabinets...just tons of pink tiles.  I liked the pink fine but wasn't keen on the lack of shelving or cabinets to break it up.

As for the going over the budget, it annoys me when they spend over $7000 on a meditation room that really just looked like someone slapped on paint and put some basic furniture in there.   It goes to show they waste a lot of money and could really learn the high/low lesson.  You can buy the cheaper item that looks the same sometimes.  Like many of us have to do.

• Love 3
On 5/12/2017 at 10:28 AM, jumper sage said:

That's exactly what I was screaming at the tv!  Especially with kids, looks dangerous. 

When my son was 3 years old, he was runnjng and smacked his forehead head-on into the corner of our kitchen  counter. Ouch is right! Pinpoint scab but a big bruise.

I worked in offices and then classrooms all my life, and haved hit plenty of corners with my hipa---which I'm now paying for with bursitis of the truncator hip. It HURTS!  Wakes me up on the middle of the night and affects other parts with referent pain. Sorry, Nate, you're a cutie,  but  the arrows on the corners are idiotic.

• Love 3

The OP referenced a "Jeremiah development'...which I took to mean they just don't like him, and suspect his motivations in marrying Nate. I see no reason to believe that, myself, and certainly have never seen him 'complain' about their child (and Poppy IS their child, no matter the biological circumstances of her birth).  He and Nate have a snarky dynamic with one another--they both insult and eye roll one another, but in a way that's clearly teasing and affectionate. I've not seen any indication of trouble in their little paradise, or of gold-diggery, or of custodial issues, on the show, or in the press, or anywhere but in this thread.

• Love 10

I also have no idea what the "Jeremiah development" could be.  I love the show and I think that they have a very loving relationship.  And even though my daughter and I always try to figure out who Poppy looks like, yes, she IS their child and they clearly both love her dearly. I don't understand why people have to look for the bad in everything.

• Love 4

There were a few things that bugged me about this episode.  I didn't really like how they kept having to emphasize they would never do a house in these colors, etc, etc....I get what they are saying but it started to become a bit much.  The pink kitchen really lacked cabinets in the end....no shelves or upper cabinets...just tons of pink tiles.  I liked the pink fine but wasn't keen on the lack of shelving or cabinets to break it up.

I agree.  The cabinets gave the look that she wanted and were nice, as was the chrome detail around the counters.

I loved the painting that was donated, and how cute that there was a redheaded lady in it. 

Hated the furniture placement in that room though, with the chaise in the middle.  Designers drive me crazy because many of them seem to be all about the look , and not about the function.  I want my house to be beautiful AND practical, and with a TV in the living area!  Is that too much to ask?

• Love 4

Good points about contrast with that Shag artwork in the Sherry episode.  Initially, I thought it worked b/c of some deep blues and purple.  Had to double-check so here's the photos and for me, it works:

http://www.nateberkus.com/nate-right-now/behind-the-scenes/personal-home-makeover/    

I just couldn't with that whole routine with the daybed.  Come on - that's like the worst of reality tv.  That place had thick moldings and they'd be doing touchups at that time anyway.  It might have fit that way.  I just don't think it needed to be cut.  Bring on the drama! 

Or, even better - did Sherry get new windows?  (She should have!)  It didn't look like she did b/c the fenestrations didn't change.  That place needed better connection with the outdoors, IMO.  (Pet peeve of mine.)  I  would have taken the window out and hopefully, if the budget allowed, changed that out to a slider or french door.  And used upgraded glass in the process.  IIRC, the master faced the street so that was the place to add a slider and possibly future outdoor deck.

Haven't most of the overages been in the furnishings?  I don't see these people paying income tax on 100K in exchange for antique daybeds, etc.  Am hoping those items are just staging.  Like most people I'd think they want their own things around.  Sorry N&J, that daybed can stay on the rental program.  Somehow I believe that's why it wasn't a big deal to cut it.  More faux drama ...

• Love 1

Jeremiah development?  Who knows?  There's no way to determine the state of a couple's relationship from their asking performance on television, in my book.  Sure, it seems real, but that speaks to their acting ability.  (Couldn't all of us play nice in the sandbox for 44 minutes on camera, even if the producer shot 80 hours to create that episode?)  And, it's their show so I'm sure they retained sufficient control so anything negative that they didn't care to disclose to the public would be promptly edited out.  (Wasn't Nate an EP?)

Anyway, I love kids and possibly for that reason, can't stand seeing them on television or in the media.  Seriously, if they need their kids for positive PR, then ???  I make no exception for anyone so that includes the Fixer Upper group, Jeff Lewis' baby daughter, etc.

Has anyone ever wondered, if Poppy wasn't her attractive self when she was born, would they have switched babies at the hospital?  (Sorry, I can't help it.)  Nate, to me, tries to hard to be perfect so I can't see him with an unattractive child.  Did we need to hear that they're soon to be 4, with a baby boy on the way?

Oh no, coming soon to a cable channel near you!  lol ...  Complete with new baby boy - switched at birth???, lol ...

About their LA homes, I didn't study the various ones but have noticed over the years that when someone films in their actual home, it's frequently a home they'll be out of by the time the episodes air 6 months (or so) later.  For privacy reasons ...

(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:46 PM, WildPlum said:

Didn't care for the couple in the water damage episode but liked most of the remodel - except for the table in the master bath. I guess it is supposed to look high-end, but it is just a space-waster. Make the bathroom smaller and the closet bigger if you have THAT much space.

I'll never be a posh person, I guess.

The issue with the flooring was odd - they originally showed the couple a hand-scraped matte almost grey-toned wood which they couple liked. Then the next thing they showed was an entire garagefull of boxes of a glossy chestnut wood. Completely different.

It sounded like the wait was partly over their daughter's medical issues taking precedence and partly over getting the insurance company to pony up the money.

Anybody think Nate cheapened himself with all the faux drama?  The flooring, please?  It wasn't even close to what they'd selected.  We're supposed to believe that N&J made a major f-up and ordered (or their people, lol) the wrong flooring?  And, did anyone see them actually walk into a garage with that wall of flooring?  Not me ...

And Jeremiah's issue with the daybed that I previously posted about.  That's the oldest diy reality television trick in the playbook. 

And, we're supposed to believe all these couples had ripped up their entire homes for various reasons so that N&J could enter, during the faux taped interview, and save the day!  Oh, brother ...

BTW, anyone notice that the first couple kinda' messed up their lines about how long their home had been out of commission?  My favorite during that episode, however, was their son jumping up and down when Nate (IIRC) greeted him at the door, i.e. before he'd seen a speck of the completed renovation!

Nate, you're better than this.  Give us a break!

Yep, the bathroom table was useless.  Good idea to extend the closet, instead.  Hopefully that table exited with all the other staged items.

Come on, Nate.  You can do better than this!

(Stepping off soapbox, rant over, lol!) 

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:59 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I agree.  The cabinets gave the look that she wanted and were nice, as was the chrome detail around the counters.

I loved the painting that was donated, and how cute that there was a redheaded lady in it. 

Hated the furniture placement in that room though, with the chaise in the middle.  Designers drive me crazy because many of them seem to be all about the look , and not about the function.  I want my house to be beautiful AND practical, and with a TV in the living area!  Is that too much to ask?

For reality television, yes, it's definitely too much to ask, lol!

On 6/15/2017 at 5:55 PM, aguabella said:

Hated the furniture placement in that room though, with the chaise in the middle.

Omg, I could not get past that chaise in the middle of the room! I bet the homeowner moved that thing the minute N, J and the camera crew left! 

I agree the pink tiles going all the way up the walls from top to bottom was a bit much. How about just use them as a backsplash and add more cabinets?  I did love the retro looking appliances, though. Where do you get something like that? 

On 5/28/2017 at 9:35 PM, jcbrown said:

One of the reasons this show makes me happy is because I am happy to see Nate happy after he went through losing his partner in the Thailand tsunami in 2004 (wow--I guess I've been following his work for a while).

I have been following him from the Oprah days as well. Not only did he lose his partner, he was also there and witnessed his partner being swept away by the floods while he was hanging on for his own life trying to keep from drowning. It is one of the most horrific stories I have ever heard. I also remember Jeremiah when he was on that Rachel Zoe show. He was working for her  and was very young and shy back then.  

• Love 2

Looks like --well at least for S1 premier, they didn't call in favors from sponsors to help the homeowners. Glad they were underbudget too

Liked the cement star flr tile, but didn't care for the minty green accent  color.

Also, the door kept going from clear to translucent. Nice option if that was film.

Liked the  closing of the wall between FR and laundry -  though I could see putting a window there as well a la Fixer Upper.

Overall - I do like their aesthetic

• Love 1

I enjoy Nate and Jeremiah as people, but am often underwhelmed by their designs, including this episode. The star cement tiles...just no. Jeremiah said they were 'sophisticated' which is the last word I would use to describe them. I'd describe them as Americana, or even kitschy. Also, concrete is so hard for standing on. It would be the last thing I would want in my kitchen.

I also see that N&J have jumped on the brass and gold fixture bandwagon. I had my kitchen redone recently, and the first thing I told the designer was no brass or gold anything. I think it's going to go out of style quickly.

• Love 6

I didn’t really like the tile floor.  I generally am not a fan of floor tile as it is so hard to change. I prefer something easier to take out in 5 years as there is no way those tiles will stay trendy for more than a year or two.

I liked the cabinets on their own but I don’t think they went with the other wood tones they had in the wood floors and furniture. Personally I think cabinets that looked like that unit in the living room would have been nice.  White outer boxes and warmer wood flat panel doors.

• Love 3

My issue is with the mold. I recently had a wall in my home remediated and it cost $5000.00 and insurance denied it, so it was all on me. No way that black mold only cost $550. I hate shows that don't tell the real story. How come if the homeowner has $750000 to spend on a renovation can they not call a plumber to fix the sink??????

• Love 7

Nate has always underwhelmed me.  He's just not my kind of designer.  I did land on the new show recently and was amazed at how much delay there was after the homeowners returned inside the house.  It went on and on.....why not just reveal it....bla bla bla....omg.  So annoying.  I wish I liked their work, but, I don't think this is for me.  The child is adorable. 

• Love 2
On 4/9/2018 at 11:13 PM, fountain said:

I didn’t really like the tile floor.  I generally am not a fan of floor tile as it is so hard to change. I prefer something easier to take out in 5 years as there is no way those tiles will stay trendy for more than a year or two.

I liked the cabinets on their own but I don’t think they went with the other wood tones they had in the wood floors and furniture. Personally I think cabinets that looked like that unit in the living room would have been nice.  White outer boxes and warmer wood flat panel doors.

I really didn't like the tiles.  It was too much and then too much more.  I agree with you on the cabinets.

I do like that they do keep a secret reserve for problems.  Other shows must get a kick out of the shocked faces of homeowners who are told, "We didn't expect this 300 year old house to need new plumbing sooooo...........".

• Love 3

Okay I would find it hard to believe that people lived without a kitchen for 16 years.  That is just crazy.

I didn’t mind the style and item choices but I thought it was too much kitchen to living space, proportionally.  It really was too big a kitchen for the size of house, at least for my taste.  The living room was more just a hallway and it was stuffed too full to really be able to move through it if some was on the couch.  Hopefully that is only the door for guests and the couple comes in most days from a side or back door.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, fountain said:

Okay I would find it hard to believe that people lived without a kitchen for 16 years.  That is just crazy.

I missed the first part of the episode, was there any reason other than contractors let them down (I think that's what Nate said)? Because that IS crazy! A kid can go from birth to driving in that time, but you can't finish a kitchen? I had a friend who re-did her kitchen doing all the work herself. She let a family member with a three year old move in with her during that time and still took less than a year to finish (and it was beautiful)!

• Love 1

I think the reason that couple had so much trouble with contractors was the couple themselves.  He seemed awfully controlling and probably micro-managed anyone working there (the size of the windows is an example).  And she was indecisive.  The fact that they had the workers demo the bathroom without consulting Nate and Jeremiah says a lot.

• Love 11

I've always loved Nate since he had his design/talk show a while back. His voice is soooo soothing and he's superhandsome.  Jeremiah's adorable, but I do not like the way he dresses. He looks like he raided a 60-year-old man's wardrobe. A trendy 60-year-old, but still. The no belt look, shirt tucked into just the front of the pants, stretchy cardigans, backless loafers...maybe I'm just out of the loop but none of that looks good to me.

Congrats to the two of them on the new addition!

• Love 1

How the fuck do,people live like that?  No sink, exposed wiring, plywood on the floor.  It’s like a variation of Hoarders.  People that can’t move forward, don’t see that they are the problem.  Clearly some mental health issues.  I redid my tiny condo kitchen for about $15K.  Countertops, cabinets, appliances.  I can see easily spending upwards of $70K on those people’s house.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, fountain said:

Wow, we don’t get this episode until the 21st.  No episode aired last night.  Now I’m going to go crazy with anticipation.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, camom said:

I think the reason that couple had so much trouble with contractors was the couple themselves.  He seemed awfully controlling and probably micro-managed anyone working there (the size of the windows is an example).  And she was indecisive.  The fact that they had the workers demo the bathroom without consulting Nate and Jeremiah says a lot.

She seemed like a real pain.  She couldn't make decisions, but clearly didn't mind objecting to the decisions that others made.  He was fed up.

Do Nate and Jeremiah only have the one hat and have to take turns wearing it?

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I think the reason that couple had so much trouble with contractors was the couple themselves.

I agree.  Something was definitely off there.  The fact that their daughter named her son Fynix was a big clue.  I suppose they pronounce it Phoenix but still......................  I can imagine a couple living like that for a year maybe while time slips away as they try to make decisions but 16 years like that?  16 Christmas seasons?  No way.

• Love 7

I am watching this now and these people are repugnant.  They are just a damaged as hoarders.  I haven't finished watching, they just told Nate they ripped the bathroom out.   I wonder how they will function in a finished house.   They are getting something out of living like they have been for 14 fucking years.  Part of me thinks the man will tear up some of the things they did after they have lived there for a stint. 

• Love 2

This woman is loaded with fear and anxiety.   She doesn't think she is worthy of a nice house.  Hideous people.  

I didn't care for what they did.  I loved the house with the star tiles.  I agree that I would have chosen different tiles but the rest of the house is my style and current home, mid century modern.  

• Love 2

I hate to make 'armchair' observations based on the very limited amount of time we saw the couple from last night's episode, but after just a few minutes I sensed something VERY strange lurking under the surface with those two.  As others have said I could see maybe a year going by like that due to life getting in the way, but SIXTEEN YEARS of NO KITCHEN SINK??? What the everliving F?  I mean even if you don't complete the remodel at least go buy a laundry sink from home depot and hook it up to the water line!!  The woman seemed sweet but there was something off about her, almost as if the sweetness was a put on.  I don't really know what exactly but she seemed damaged.  I sensed anger lurking beneath the surface with the man.  I wonder what they are like behind closed doors.  

I think the final design looked decent but I didn't care for the terra-cotta above the stove at all.  I think they chose nice furniture and accessories but that house was so small and oddly laid out it was very difficult to arrange the furniture.  I feel the pain because I also have a small house (not quite as small as theirs) but the living room is also basically where the front door is and it's a pass through to the rest of the house. 

I would really be interested in seeing what's become of the house after Nate and Jeremiah left.  

Oh and Nate, please shave more regularly.....

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 7

The last week couple I actually liked what they did on their own in the living room better than the kitchen.  I did like a lot of the elements of the kitchen but not everything.  It was interesting they initially went towards the shaker door because based on their LR they didn’t seem like shaker door people.  Maybe they were thinking resale as shaker isn’t as trendy as some of the flat panels will be.  When you are spending a lot I am sure you worry if the cabinets will be out of style in a couple of years.

This week with the older couple nothing really was my taste but it was okay.   If I were spending $83k I wouldn’t choose any the stuff they did but the look works for a lot of people.  I respect that Nate and Jeremiah show different styles and  they seem to know the details needed to create a certain style.  So many other design shows have pretty but generic styles (shaker cabinet, grey walls, gold handles, white and grey marble... done).  While this room had the white shaker, it had more unique elements with the range hood and all the art pieces Jeremiah was talking about.

• Love 2

She was insufferably passive aggressive and hid it behind compulsive religiosity. He was a bombastic dickhead. All their other contractors probably ran screaming. Pick better people in the future, Nate and Jeremiah. It's no fun to watch people who actually do not deserve all this benefit from it.

Edited to add that she actually reminds me of MEchelle Duggar, with her singsong baby voice and thinly veiled control freak personality. The bullshittery of them having the contractors demo the bathroom without talking to N and J about it just baffles me. And then having the nerve to react all, "oh, golly, you mean increasing the scope of work without talking to you was a bad thing? Shucks!" Wow, these people were awful.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 8

Amen amen to all the comments above about these people....thought it might be just me. Thought they were horrid people with the veneer of "oh golly gee whiz....." smile smile smile. Husband was micromanager personified....kept the useless blocked off back door  because once a year that's how they bring in the Christmas tree?????

And picking out stone is a terrifying experience????  Also didn't like that they said they only had $73,000 in the budget ( after scrimping and saving....snifff, sniff....for 15 years!!)  for the kitchen, then they whip $10,000 out of their pocket to give to the contractor on the side for the bathroom that wasn't even scheduled for the show?  Have to admire the control by Nate & Jeremiah ...they must have been livid.

Think they would have been better off spending some of that reno budget on a psychiatrist.

• Love 11

I was also thinking all their plans with the contractors were on those papers they showed N&J.  The contractors probably insisted on real drawings and then noped out of there.  It didn’t seem like they were scammed or anything.  Another thought was that they probably tried to cheap out and hire handymen and not real contractors and then expanded the scope of the project to a point where it was too big for the handymen.

• Love 4

Glad I am not the only one who thinks there was something off about that couple.  I also suspect mental health issues.  Washing the dishes in the bathroom sink for 16 years??!!  Did you see the sponge thing on the side of the bathroom sink, which was right next to the toilet?  So it was just left there all the time while they did their regular bathroom "stuff?"  Yikes.

• Love 5

This week's couple needed some serious therapy. Who lives without a kitchen sink for 16years? They both seemed like micromanaging, pains in the neck. Nate and Jeremiah might have left them hanging as well after the disrespect they showed,  if it was on t.v. If I were doing a reno and the couple just decided out of the blue they wanted the bathroom ripped up without consulting me, they would have been living another 16years without anything being fixed.

• Love 3