Type keyword(s) to search

Nate And Jeremiah By Design - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah I don't get that and it's not the first time they've done that. How are you supposed to get in there to sit? Is it like an airplane where you crawl over the people on the end?

Although I don't mind sitting in a booth in a restaurant, I detest the banquettes that TV designers are putting in so many homes. It's not just Nate & Jeremiah who have them installed. We had one in a breakfast room when I was a teenager and I hated having to jump up to let the other kids out.

• Love 2

I've been catching up on past seasons, and I'll admit to laughing every time Nate and Jeremiah talk about how the LA house is going to be their forever home.  I guess forever lasted what, two years?    

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I've been catching up on past seasons, and I'll admit to laughing every time Nate and Jeremiah talk about how the LA house is going to be their forever home.  I guess forever lasted what, two years?    

I’m sure they’ll be fine in their NYC 3 floor brownstone with a rooftop deck. Isn’t that what all the rich NYC personalities buy? I guess they could buy in The Hamptons, too. I know this show was taped months ago but have they already moved & bought a place in New York? If we’re lucky Jeremiah will get lost. I can’t stand him. He bus me to no end. I think it might be the high waisted pants and stupid caps he wears. 

10 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes, they've already moved. Jeremiah had posted pics on his IG.

I don’t think they have posted pics of the new apartment. He posted a pic of him and Poppy walking down the street in the new neighborhood but the interiors he has been posting are inspiration/other projects.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, txhorns79 said:

I think I had read here or in an article about the show that the homeowner had to pay taxes on however much was spent on the renovation beyond the homeowner's original budget.  I was curious if that was actually true.  Does anyone know?

Yes, anything that is gifted them on the show is considered income and the producers would be obliged to provide them with a 1099 for anything the homeowners didn't pay for themselves and the IRS would be aware. 

Wow, then they're really not doing the home-owners any favors by going way over their budget. They knew that's all the money they had to spend, how are they "helping" these people if they are making them pay extra above and beyond what they could afford to spend?

I presume that the homeowners are made aware of exactly what has been spent and what has been donated and they've agreed to whatever amount of 'donations' they're going to pay taxes on.  There's a lot of fakery on shows like this and I don't expect we're getting the real truth about what the owners actually have to spend on  the project.  After all, anyone who signs up for the show already knows that Nate and Jeremiah do high-end reno only and they are paying top dollar for everything.  Anyone who really doesn't have much to spend on renovations needs to find another TV show.  Of course, it also makes all the lamentation about the poor, sad homeowners and how Nate and Jeremiah just feel so sorry for them and their troubles fake, too.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4

Manhattan Beach project: I agree with much that has been said. So disappointed in the overall look and aesthetic of this project. Colors didn't seem cohesive, I didn't like the frou-frouey antique mantel, I didn't like the color of the ottoman top or the marble, didn't like the window treatments over the banquette, etc. 

There is a TN-based decorator who would have done an awesome job on this home, Kristie Barnett, The Decorologist. Or what about Sarah Richardson?  Oh well.

I've told my daughter: "I like the guys and the show (and the kids!), but their choices and end results are not my favorite."

• Love 5

So I caught the episode with Peggy Lu.  I don't think she needed a home renovation, so much as she needed a good therapist.  I felt badly for her.  She very much seemed overwhelmed, but I also thought her house is probably going to be a cluttered up mess again in a year or so.  I also didn't understand how Nate and Jeremiah's long table was going to work as a replacement desk for her office.  When we saw the room initially, she had multiple computer monitors set up, presumably with a desktop hard drive of some sort.  When we saw the renovated room, the monitors were gone and there was no indication of how she could duplicate that prior set up using what Nate and Jeremiah gave her.  It was nice to look at, but impractical.

I also was curious about the painted floor they gave her for her bedroom.   Won't she have to do semi-regular touch ups for that floor?  I would think if she's constantly walking on it, the paint is eventually going to wear away. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

When we saw the room initially, she had multiple computer monitors set up, presumably with a desktop hard drive of some sort.  When we saw the renovated room, the monitors were gone and there was no indication of how she could duplicate that prior set up using what Nate and Jeremiah gave her.  It was nice to look at, but impractical.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine in these design shows. They ALWAYS show the redone office sans computers, monitors, printers, etc. They are NOT offices for 2019, particularly not for people who work remotely.

I'd love to see a real home office that is BOTH beautiful AND realistically functional. Hell, make remote workers drool with multiple large monitors, hidden peripherals (that can still be accessed), and plenty of storage -- while still having room to comfortably meet with a client.

• Love 9
On 6/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, doodlebug said:

Yes, anything that is gifted them on the show is considered income and the producers would be obliged to provide them with a 1099 for anything the homeowners didn't pay for themselves and the IRS would be aware. 

I presume that the homeowners are made aware of exactly what has been spent and what has been donated and they've agreed to whatever amount of 'donations' they're going to pay taxes on.  

Yep. We attended a taping of The Chew a few years back that happened to be a holiday one where they gave away a ton of stuff to the audience members. We got a 1099 for the privilege. Still fun.

9 hours ago, rainsmom said:

This is a huge pet peeve of mine in these design shows. They ALWAYS show the redone office sans computers, monitors, printers, etc. They are NOT offices for 2019, particularly not for people who work remotely.

I'd love to see a real home office that is BOTH beautiful AND realistically functional. Hell, make remote workers drool with multiple large monitors, hidden peripherals (that can still be accessed), and plenty of storage -- while still having room to comfortably meet with a client.

I totally hear you on office renovations. If there is nowhere to plug things in, it is NOT HELPFUL.

• Love 6
On 6/22/2019 at 8:53 AM, txhorns79 said:

So I caught the episode with Peggy Lu.  I don't think she needed a home renovation, so much as she needed a good therapist.  I felt badly for her.  She very much seemed overwhelmed, but I also thought her house is probably going to be a cluttered up mess again in a year or so. 

She was a nut job.

I watched the new romcom on Netflix over the weekend - Always be My Maybe.  Guess who is in it?  Luckily not playing a big part.  And no scenes with Keanu.

• Love 1

hello,

I'd really really like to watch season 1 and season 2 because i've missed it but I don't live in the States and I can't find the episode anywhere. They're only available from primevideo and itunes for people in the US. Do you know if there's anyway I can watch the episodes????

Thank you

On 9/18/2019 at 11:09 AM, deborah80 said:

hello,

I'd really really like to watch season 1 and season 2 because i've missed it but I don't live in the States and I can't find the episode anywhere. They're only available from primevideo and itunes for people in the US. Do you know if there's anyway I can watch the episodes????

Thank you

You can watch them on HGTV's app, I have it on Roku.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, Grrarrggh said:

I totally agree with the obsession with watching children. But as for the doors maybe the homeowners were like me: bug haters. 

I was just about to type that - I DESPISE the new trend with these huge open walls of doors - where do these people live that have no mosquitos?  It sure wouldn't work well in Texas!  The only doors we leave open have screens on them!

• Love 4

Yes, HGTV showed a few episodes, with a slightly different name, and called them new.   But they were reruns from TLC last season.    One showed them calling their friend/realtor in NYC telling her to start house hunting for them.  

I like Nata and Jeremiah, but some of the homeowners leave me cold.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Saw the first episode & the beginning of the second but then realized they are reruns from TLC. It wasn’t a bad flip show but I can’t stand Jeremiah. I much prefer Nate on his own. I hate the sob stories but you have to do this when you want a free makeover. You gotta turn on the waterworks. LOL!!!!

• Love 1

Hmm, interesting that HGTV repurposed "By Design" from TLC. I don't think the show is coming back, at least not on TLC. They would have filmed it by now if there was going to be a fourth season. Sounds like maybe they are in negotiations to do something on HGTV instead. That's kind of what I predicted - that they would wind up elsewhere with some other show.

Nate does a lot off stuff but they seem to stick. I thought he would be a bigger star since he was a student of the Oprah Winfrey University. He's had several shows but they don't seem to last long. I think he used to have a line with Target but I'm not sure if that's even around anymore. I much prefer him to Jeramiah. I did watch the show on TLC and they were making some big move to NYC but then I don't recall see any tv content about it.

The first season was interspersed with them designing their LA home - and then they decided they weren't happy in LA and decided to move back to New York.  Nate Berkus has always been one of my favorites - I'm sure losing his fiancé in the tsunami derailed him for a couple of years.  I'm not a huge Jeremiah fan (seems like he likes to put Nate down a lot and makes like he is the one who makes the important decisions - probably that's just their personal relationship dynamic and I'm reading way too much into it), but they do seem very happy together and have two beautiful children.  I think Nate is more of an introvert and Jeremiah is more camera friendly.

• Love 2

Well, as of Monday, TLC reportedly hasn't either cancelled or renewed the show. Last fall, the boys bought a large 3 b, 3bath gated house with pool/pool house on Long Island--with a permit to build a second story. I smell a show!

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Well, as of Monday, TLC reportedly hasn't either cancelled or renewed the show. Last fall, the boys bought a large 3 b, 3bath gated house with pool/pool house on Long Island--with a permit to build a second story. I smell a show!

TLC is like Bravo in that they don't announce cancellations. Since HGTV is showing last season's episodes, I'd say TLC has ceded its rights and if the show continues in some form, it will be on that network.

• Love 1
On 3/11/2020 at 9:02 PM, buttersister said:

I thought they wanted to live "in the city" which they had missed in L.A.

I smell a show and more. 

Kind of hard to watch uber rich complain about their structure problems and fifficulties with marble tile these days.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Their place was totally featured on Open HOUse NYC before they bought it because I remember the catwalk/bookshel f area. 

I love the kids' rooms.  The rest of the house is okay, but not really my taste.  The armchair and stool in the bathroom seems like a tripping hazard.

• Love 1

I think Poppy's room is a bit over the top but if she really picked all the finishes than good for them for letting that happen. The rest of the house (except Oskar's room) screams out for COLOR, to my eye. I could not live with such an exclusively neutral palette. Feels too decorator show-room for me.  But wow, the kids are so BIG!

• Love 1

I thought I’d read they’d bought a big place on Long Island and we’re redoing it.

Poppy’s room is exactly what the little girls I know would consider perfect, so good for them. Love how they put together Oskar’s room as well, as I’m eyeing my pie chest’s next life as a sweater chest. Overall, I’d move in tomorrow, change out the family photos and some of the art and be set. Greetings from my calm condo of neutral colors. Alright, maybe a little more blue😉

• Love 2
2 hours ago, buttersister said:

Poppy’s room is exactly what the little girls I know would consider perfect, so good for them. 

Little girls brainwashed into believing they must love pink and girly....

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Little girls brainwashed into believing they must love pink and girly....

Eh, the pink is used in that room in a way where it doesn't overwhelm.  Also, from what we saw on the show, Poppy seemed like a girl who very much had her own opinions on things.

• Love 4

Their new home is in Architectural Digest this month, complete with home tour. Their place was totally featured on Open HOUse NYC before they bought it because I remember the catwalk/bookshel f area. 

The whole house seems like a child hazard to me, especially those glass partitions on the balconies. Yikes. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

he whole house seems like a child hazard to me, especially those glass partitions on the balconies.

I was more concerned about the tea cart with all the booze bottles next to the fireplace.  They were easily at toddler level. 

Overall, I loved the house especially the bookshelves.  I'd change the artwork and fill those shelves with actual books.  

In some of the shots, it looked to me like the windows faced out on a large body of water.  In other shots, I could see city buildings outside.  I never did figure out what I was seeing that appeared to be water.

• Love 2

The house was staged for a photo shoot - probably not what everyday living is going to be like.  Nate and Jeremiah seem to be extremely hand's on parents (or at least they are on television) so I doubt they would have anything in their home that would be hazardous to toddlers and small children.  I've seen many designers use glass panels - they aren't the kind of glass that is easily broken.

LOL - my daughter had her mind set up about what she liked and didn't like by the time she was about 2 - I honestly quit buying her clothes without her being with me because she simply would  not wear anything she did not like (and I'm not an overly permissive snowflake mother but having your daughter strip down naked in the front yard the minute you get home from work because she didn't like what she was wearing was not exactly the message I wanted to send to the neighborhood).  

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, mlp said:

In some of the shots, it looked to me like the windows faced out on a large body of water.  In other shots, I could see city buildings outside.  I never did figure out what I was seeing that appeared to be water.

At first it looked like water out the back but upon a closer look it turned out to the brick, possibly a building behind them.  They had very small backyard space.

From the other shots out the windows it definitely looks like it's in New York City, possibly near Greenwich Village.

• Love 1

I can't believe how many of N & J's clients let things like toxic mold problems go on for years.  

My guess is that whatever show you sign up for, you're either a fan of their design style, or you will do anything to get your face on TV.  

I really hated the kitchen star pattern floor tile in this episode.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Watched the show with the adorable asian couple and the kitchen from hell with mold, of course. This was a California show, I guess they had not moved back to NY yet and baby Oskar wasn't born yet, but it still showed on my DVR as a new show? Anyway, N & J did a horrible job on that kitchen. Kitchen flooring with stars in it? No backsplash, shelves instead of upper cabinets. Only thing I liked was the pantry door. Otherwise, terrible job. They must of really had a tight budget with this one. 

• Love 1

N & J was originally shown on TLC, so HGTV considers these as new eps. To HGTV. 

Hated the star floor, as in, tear it up and get it out kind of hated.

I'm guessing that a lot of their budget was eaten by fixing the mold problem. What I don't get is why some of these homeowners get twice the budget's worth of stuff and some don't. 

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 9:58 PM, lgprimes said:

Just saw my first Nate and Jeremiah show tonight.

yuck... not my taste at all.

they seem like nice guys, but would not let them design my house.

I always liked Nate's designs when he was doing stuff for Oprah.  I think Jeremiah has had an influence on him that I don't care for - way too (this is the only term that comes to mind) high end and fancy.  I prefer a home that looks like you can live in it, not an art piece.

• Love 1

Nate+Jeremiah=Impractical. While the makeovers look nice they always so high end but not very practical for normal people. I have always liked Nates design ascetic but I think Jeremiah brings out the worst in his designs. Are they airing new episodes? If so, I doubt I’ll be watching since I was always annoyed with the homeowners sob stories and the way they left their homes and room in such disarray and then beg for a free makeover. The show I did like was the one with the two guys from Queer Eye but I think it was cancelled. Heck! I’m still waiting for Chip & Joanna to return. Whatever became of them?