Type keyword(s) to search

Nate And Jeremiah By Design - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

She just said her sister was killed; didn't say how, or how long ago.

I believe she said her sister died in 2004. 

1 hour ago, mlp said:

The house looked quite nice at the end but, once again, the guys spent a lot more money than necessary.  One of the first things they said while looking at the kitchen was that it needed marble.  They could have achieved an equally nice and more practical effect with quartz or granite.  I thought the black veining on the marble they chose was much too obvious.  It took over the entire room.  I liked the couple so I'm glad they were happy at the end. 

I was shocked when they said the total cost ended up being nearly $150,000.00 for what appeared to be a pretty small space.  Everything turned out very nice, but I was curious where all that money went.  

• Love 6
(edited)

They ran hardwoods through the whole house, so that was probably $15K right there. Plus, it looks like the wall was structural, so that was probably another $15K in engineering. I’m sure the appliances are not ones you find on clearance at Home Depot, so there’s easily another $10K. Plus, the cabinets are custom, and I doubt that marble was cheap. 

Edited by irisheyes
Their wall isn’t like Trump’s so I doubt it needs to be capitalized. 😀
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

They ran hardwoods through the whole house, so that was probably $15K right there. Plus, it looks like the wall was structural, so that was probably another $15K in engineering. I’m sure the appliances are not ones you find on clearance at Home Depot, so there’s easily another $10K. Plus, the cabinets are custom, and I doubt that marble was cheap. 

They said removing the wall was $20K (including permits and everything).

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

They said removing the wall was $20K (including permits and everything).

I missed the 20K cost to take down the wall.  I think I just forget that with this particular show, the renovations are typically high end on everything, so you get expenses that might not show up when you are just doing a normal renovation.     

I also want someone to ask Jeremiah to rethink his hats.  I give him credit for trying, but the fedora looked too big for his head.

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3
(edited)

The house was OK, but I can't believe that people spend that much on a tiny house, just because they want the prestige of that address, or whatever their motivation was.      However, my understanding is the almost $50k that was donated, or comped  results in a 1099 for the extra money over the 100k the homeowners put in.       

I was surprised to see the Scott brothers as executive producers, and didn't realize they had branched out from their own multiple shows.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I really enjoy this show, although I could do without the screaming homeowners. Yes, they are excited to see the guys and get a home redesign, but the over-the-top screaming is getting old.

• Love 5

Too much screaming. I don’t know if it was more noticeable because the house was so small or the homeowners were that annoying. The house looked nice. I guess you have to work with what you got. I didn’t care for the marble. I’m not into thick veining in stone. I like a clean white with maybe a few specs. The cabinet was beautiful but I can’t imagine a very big tv could fit. Did they ever show the inside of it? Also, I must add. Jeremiah is sooooooooo annoying. Everything about him bugs me. His constant crying, his high waisted (Urkel) pants and his stupid hats. Can’t.stand.him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My problem with the TV was having it behind doors. Unless they truly don't watch TV that much they're probably not going to bother closing the cabinet and that kind of defeats the purpose and blocks the view of the shelving on the side (unless the doors could be slid into the sides?).

I thought that was a good idea. When my family did a TV free 10 days the hardest part was seeing the televisions there. Once we finally took them out of the house it was much easier. 

• Love 2

I always find their designs pretty boring.  They just focus too much on a similar look and high end items.  Nate used to do better rooms when he did his gigs on Oprah, etc, working with normal families/normal rooms.  As for Nate vs Jeremiah, I am more of a Jeremiah fan 🙂

On this note of high end items, it was refreshing to see on the Property Bros new show where they work with the family's current home...they provided an option of the high end version, and a cheaper medium version.  It was so nice to see that, and the family chose the medium version, and it was still beautiful.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Too much screaming. I don’t know if it was more noticeable because the house was so small or the homeowners were that annoying. The house looked nice. I guess you have to work with what you got.

I looked up the listing for the house, and it was 1.8 million for a little more than 1300 square feet!  At first I thought the episode was a nice warning to people not to value location over whether the house actually works for the family, but at that price, I'd hate to see what you get for $2,000,000.   

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I looked up the listing for the house, and it was 1.8 million for a little more than 1300 square feet!  At first I thought the episode was a nice warning to people not to value location over whether the house actually works for the family, but at that price, I'd hate to see what you get for $2,000,000.   

That is insane. Location! Location! Location! I usually do the last 15-20 mintues of the show. I can't stand the sob stories of these people. So, I hadn't heard where they were from or if the house cost was mentioned. Great job on finding it. I reconize the stain glass window.

• Love 4
(edited)

I bet the back yard is almost full of garage, and a huge deck.     I imagine the kids probably play in the front yard?  Good point about the quality of the schools, and that would be a savings in the long run.    

$1.8 million plus the $100k renovation, is mind boggling for that size house.   So they actually have a $2 million dollar house now, I wonder how much he property taxes are there too?      

The house was nice after the remodel, but I'm guessing in that neighborhood the higher end finishes, such as the marble counters, are a requirement if they ever sell.      So if they had gone with cheaper finishes, or semi-custom cabinets, that it would ruin resale.     Even if I never intend to sell, I always plan for it, because you never know what life will throw at you.         

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I looked up the listing for the house, and it was 1.8 million for a little more than 1300 square feet! 

Criminy, and that was before the reno. 

I get why N&J include their children and their home life in the show, but that bit where they tell Poppy they got the house they wanted felt very staged and awkward. For one thing how likely is it that their realtor friend called with the news just when they happened to be filming? Also, while Poppy is certainly old enough to grasp the basics of moving I don't think she has any concept of what it means to live in NYC versus California. They need to stop asking her if she wants to be a New York kid, like that means anything to her. 

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I get why N&J include their children and their home life in the show, but that bit where they tell Poppy they got the house they wanted felt very staged and awkward. For one thing how likely is it that their realtor friend called with the news just when they happened to be filming? Also, while Poppy is certainly old enough to grasp the basics of moving I don't think she has any concept of what it means to live in NYC versus California. They need to stop asking her if she wants to be a New York kid, like that means anything to her. 

I agree.  I figure the stuff with the kids has to be staged.  Otherwise, you are at the mercy of two unpredictable children, and I doubt the producers and/or Nate/Jeremiah would stand for that. 

• Love 3

I looked at the listing and noticed that the 1.8 million $ house didn't even have a/c.  In southern California.  The couple didn't mention it and neither did Nate or Jeremiah.  If I were going to move 5 people into a small space, cooling would be the first thing I'd spend my money on.  Marble countertops could wait.

• Love 6

I love that the description for the house basically implies it’s a tear down! And that third bedroom must be TINY because they are even trying to manage expectations of it in the description.

3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

bet the back yard is almost full of garage, and a huge deck.     I imagine the kids probably play in the front yard? 

The garage has apparently been converted to a playroom according to the listing.

• Love 3

When I saw the listing my first thought was it’s a tear down & flip. The house looks like a shack in those pictures. They didn’t show too much of the house on the show but when they had their staging stuff out front. Even, is under lighting to make N&J & the crap look good. LOL!!!!!! $1.8.......Crazy!!!!!!!!

• Love 4
On 6/3/2019 at 6:12 PM, ByaNose said:

When I saw the listing my first thought was it’s a tear down & flip. The house looks like a shack in those pictures. They didn’t show too much of the house on the show but when they had their staging stuff out front. Even, is under lighting to make N&J & the crap look good. LOL!!!!!! $1.8.......Crazy!!!!!!!!

Those are some of most worst real estate photos I've seen in a long time. Yikes. I wasn't even sure the photos were before N&J's renovation or after. I live in an area of  high real estate, and in some neighborhoods (not mine), people remodel a house before putting it on the market, knowing it will be razed within a year of sale. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Those are some of most worst real estate photos I've seen in a long time. 

IKR?  Those have to be the culled out photos!    I guess we are supposed to be on pins and needles waiting to see how much beige N&J can inflict on one house.

Even when I was house shopping 13 years ago the listing pics were better.  It was amazing how the pics from the desirable angles made dumps look like five star resorts.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, kirklandia said:

When was this Manhattan Beach episode filmed?  They must have either bought the house immediately before.  Or sold it immediately after.  Either way totally bogus.

From Zillow:

I don't live there, but from what I've heard California real estate prices are insane.  Wouldn't it take a special kind of stupid to lose money in that market?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kirklandia said:

When was this Manhattan Beach episode filmed?  They must have either bought the house immediately before.  Or sold it immediately after.  Either way totally bogus.

From Zillow:

165C905F-0DF7-4603-84CB-4CEEE8F247A3.jpeg

This season had a super tight schedule because it was renewed late. They didn’t even start asking for submissions until mid November and were still looking for people in January.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Amazing, so the Manhattan Beach homeowners paid $200k over asking?      I know the California house prices are astronomical, but that's still a lot, and then to do a big remodel on top of it just stuns me.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Wow Jeremiah was so emotional tonight - even when the camera wasn’t directly focused on him I could see him all teary I the background. I have to love him because of the way he shows his heart. My boss is a second or third cousin to Nate. They’re not at all close but they have the same personality - kind of on the colder more clinical side.  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

So was this "Island Breeze" the last episode? They seemed to be saying goodbye at the end. Or will they pick up again in the New York area next year?

It’s the season finale they don’t know if there will be more.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/2/2019 at 7:29 PM, ByaNose said:

Too much screaming. I don’t know if it was more noticeable because the house was so small or the homeowners were that annoying. The house looked nice. I guess you have to work with what you got. I didn’t care for the marble. I’m not into thick veining in stone. I like a clean white with maybe a few specs. The cabinet was beautiful but I can’t imagine a very big tv could fit. Did they ever show the inside of it? Also, I must add. Jeremiah is sooooooooo annoying. Everything about him bugs me. His constant crying, his high waisted (Urkel) pants and his stupid hats. Can’t.stand.him.

I hated the ugly veining too, it is too much and yeah, Jeremiah never fails to cry in every episode!

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

So was this "Island Breeze" the last episode? They seemed to be saying goodbye at the end. Or will they pick up again in the New York area next year?

I think so, they did say they will continue where they left off in New York so I guess we will see them in New York unless the ratings are terrible and the show gets cancelled 

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 1

I have to imagine that maybe the fridge they needed was too tall to go under the window because I am with Jeremiah that built in under the tv that housed it was ugly and stood out way too much.

I would need to sit on the built in living room seating to pass judgement but I did like the depth of it and there was an obvious place to put the tv if they wanted one.

• Love 2

I'm glad they ended the season with a family I liked.  I did feel sad for the dad because people with pancreatic cancer don't usually survive but a few months after diagnosis if that.  Both women seemed genuine and sincere.  I wasn't crazy about the living room they ended up with but they seemed happy with it.

I did not understand why there was plastic on the upper cupboards when the problem was a leak that ruined the floor.  The homeowner said something about dust but I must have missed something because that didn't seem to add up.

I wonder how Nate and Jeremiah's mothers feel about them moving clear across the country with the grandchildren.  I don't know how many close friends they have in NYC but it seemed like they were leaving all their friends and family behind.  OTOH I live in Illinois and my grandchildren have grown up in California so I haven't seen them frequently and we've all survived.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I'm glad they ended the season with a family I liked.  I did feel sad for the dad because people with pancreatic cancer don't usually survive but a few months after diagnosis if that.  Both women seemed genuine and sincere.  I wasn't crazy about the living room they ended up with but they seemed happy with it.

I did not understand why there was plastic on the upper cupboards when the problem was a leak that ruined the floor.  The homeowner said something about dust but I must have missed something because that didn't seem to add up.

I wonder how Nate and Jeremiah's mothers feel about them moving clear across the country with the grandchildren.  I don't know how many close friends they have in NYC but it seemed like they were leaving all their friends and family behind.  OTOH I live in Illinois and my grandchildren have grown up in California so I haven't seen them frequently and we've all survived.

Nate's mom is  ID Nancy Golden,  who used to be a featured designer on HGTV's Decorating Cents from  a decade-plus back.

I believe she still lives in MN - so her commute would be about the same to NYC

ETA I was so glad this episode didn't end w/a In Loving memory of  Nobel  note  at the end

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

they did say they will continue where they left off in New York

Did they? I guess I didn't catch that. (I got semi-distracted by something during the ending.)

I'm guessing this was a series finale - it felt like one, and N&J must have suspected that would be a strong possibility, hence the summation of their work at the end of this episode. HGTV really dragged their feet renewing it for this last season - I'm not sure what was going on behind the scenes. Maybe N&J were asking for more money than HGTV wanted to pay. 

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them on TV though.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them on TV though.

I hope so. I personally like them. 

Even if they live in the city, it’s a short commute to go over into N.J. for production or one of the outer boroughs in N.Y.. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Nate: "I want a long banquette in the kitchen."

Of course you do, because what's better than having kids climb over each other to get in and out for meals. Scooch, schooch, pull out the table, push in the table.

Throw in some open kitchen shelving while you're at it and an ugly built-in "couch" with no backrests. The cushion looked like cheap foam with the fabric wrapped around and sewn; not even some tufting or piped seams. Like that's not going to get wrinkled and warped in a couple of months.

I think the dad should have had a desk. Sometimes a person needs to sit down and write a card, be on the computer, fill in paperwork, etc. There were already a couple of chairs for just sitting. Functionality, dudes!

Edited by palmaire
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I hope so. I personally like them. 

Even if they live in the city, it’s a short commute to go over into N.J. for production or one of the outer boroughs in N.Y.. 

Hey, I'm only an hour and a half or so away...and I live in a condo so I can't even do major renovations so my place would be cheap. If they came and redid my kitchen and bathroom it would probably take a week from design to done.

• Love 1
(edited)

That's exactly right.   They could do outer boroughs, or over in N.J, or outlying counties, but dealing with condos, and coops in the city would be a nightmare.    

I really hope they can find a way to stay on TV, with their adorable kids.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

That's exactly right.   They could do outer boroughs, or over in N.J, or outlying counties, but dealing with condos, and coops in the city would be a nightmare.    

The biggest thing I'd like to do is replace my cabinets/countertops. But my kitchen is tiny. At the very least I need to do the cabinet doors and drawer fronts, because they are particle board and have been absorbing years of moisture from cooking and dishwashing and whatnot. They...don't look great. (The cabinets themselves are wood so they're in decent shape.)

8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yeah, the show could easily be transferred to New York.  There are plenty of people in Queens, the Bronx, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, etc. with sad stories and budgets for renovation. 

I liked the family this episode.  They seemed very sincere, and it wasn't just another about to be divorced couple who had been living in a hell of their own making for a decade.  I also liked the niece's sunglasses that she wore on the way to the reveal.  I wouldn't get them for myself, but she made them work.   

• Love 2
(edited)

Finally found a place where people are talking about my shows! Where to start?! The wife who wouldn’t go into the kitchen was beyond ridiculous! That is just petty and her shopping is outta control! The uncles house episode was good but I thought the design was really bad! That brown! Ugh! Then this couple that had the trash pit in their yard episode! They spent every penny of their money and they still didn’t get the master bedroom? I feel like they could’ve stretched that  budget to make it happen (other people they’ve done their whole house). I love Nate and Jeremiah but it’s so ridiculous to me the costs! They are like “ Nobody can stretch a budget like us” then use their homeowners money to get a 12,000 window a window!!!! and 27,000 soap stone in the kitchen! Yikes You could still get great stuff for less then use the money for a bedroom and or yard clean up! 😏

Edited by Historygal
  • Love 2
(edited)

Manhattan Beach:  I wish they didn't move the sink and the stove.  They lost the window so that huge ugly hood could be installed.  Then the back door was taken out as well.  So much $$$ wasted to move the plumbing and gas and no natural light.  All of it was totally unnecessary.   What is Nate's obsession with banquettes? The countertops were way too busy.  I liked the natural colored wood floors.  When there's so much white, the lighter floors make the house feel warmer.  

Island Breeze: I loved this family!  The design...not so much.  The kitchen was beautiful!  However, the long built in seating was a big fail, IMO.  It looked very uncomfortable and out of place.  Plus, having the long banquette in the dining room make it look even weirder.  I understand covering up the fireplace since they never used it, but I think a nice comfy sectional would have looked (and felt) so much better.  They definitely should have installed a desk in the father's room.  I wish they would have done a custom nightstand on one side of the bed to hide the mini fridge instead of that huge cabinet under the TV.  The father seemed very easy going and easy to please so I don't understand why N & J went so over the top with seating areas (and $$$) on his room.  Nate saying the heated floors weren't expensive at almost $9000 was ridiculous.  That was a good chunk of her budget that could have been spent on something more important (like living room furniture).  

I think N & J wouldn't have to "call in so many favors" if they were more down to earth when it came to recognizing that everyone isn't as rich as them.  They could easily find less expensive accessories, furniture and materials that would be just as nice and function just as well.  

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 6
(edited)

The reason the Chalet (the ones who had the pit in the back yard, and wanted the Master addition) couldn't have their addition is because they couldn't get permits.   Yes, they'd been in the house eight years or so, started the foundation/pit without permits, and then the codes changed blocking their permits.    They will never get an addition, and should just fill in the pit in the back yard.    They said that about the permits, and the garage addition at the beginning of the program.  

The couple was so passive, that I bet nothing will ever be done to that house once N & J left.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I think N & J wouldn't have to "call in so many favors" if they were more down to earth when it came to recognizing that everyone isn't as rich as them.  They could easily find less expensive accessories, furniture and materials that would be just as nice and function just as well.  

I think I had read here or in an article about the show that the homeowner had to pay taxes on however much was spent on the renovation beyond the homeowner's original budget.  I was curious if that was actually true.  Does anyone know?

6 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I think I had read here or in an article about the show that the homeowner had to pay taxes on however much was spent on the renovation beyond the homeowner's original budget.  I was curious if that was actually true.  Does anyone know?

I guess Nate doesn’t like Target anymore. He used to have a line there but I’m not sure if he still does. He (they) could save a boatload shopping there. 

• LOL 1

I can't figure out how that makes any sense. Tax is included when you pay for labor and supplies; anything N&J get over and above the money the home owners give them is donated or sold at a discount. They can't spend more money than the home owners give them then turn around and demand they pay the tax for it.

But if the property value goes up based on the reno, the home owner will certainly pay higher property taxes. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I can't figure out how that makes any sense. Tax is included when you pay for labor and supplies; anything N&J get over and above the money the home owners give them is donated or sold at a discount. They can't spend more money than the home owners give them then turn around and demand they pay the tax for it.

Why can't they?  It might be donated or sold at a discount, but it's still a gift to the homeowners as they aren't paying for anything beyond their budget. I think you have to pay taxes based on the market value of the gift.  Think of it kind of like winning a prize on a game show.  You have won the new car, but you have to pay taxes based on the market value of the car, as your winnings are counted as income.  Now maybe they don't pay taxes for the services rendered, but they do pay it on things like the new furniture or appliances that can be priced out.

My guess is that the homeowners have to sign contracts before the renovations that spell all this out, so there are no surprises.      

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Because on shows like this that is considered a gift and since it’s typically over 15k you have to pay taxes on it. The first season or other of Extreme Makeover it caused a lot of headaches with the families because they had to pay taxes on the value of the Reno which was more than most of the families could afford and they started doing something like where they leased the house from the homeowners during the Reno period. Of course many homeowners still couldn’t keep the houses because of increased property taxes and increased utilities but they no longer had to pay taxes for 5the “gift”.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Wow, then they're really not doing the home-owners any favors by going way over their budget. They knew that's all the money they had to spend, how are they "helping" these people if they are making them pay extra above and beyond what they could afford to spend?

I re-watched this last episode and couldn't figure out how Nicole went from straightened hair in the first scene to super curly hair in the next when N&J came over to meet Noble, then back to straightened in all the other scenes. I thought she must be someone else. 

Of course you do, because what's better than having kids climb over each other to get in and out for meals. Scooch, schooch, pull out the table, push in the table.

Yeah I don't get that and it's not the first time they've done that. How are you supposed to get in there to sit? Is it like an airplane where you crawl over the people on the end?

• Love 1