Type keyword(s) to search

Nate And Jeremiah By Design - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I understand that time can pass by and add up before you realize it but.........8 years?  The older child is 3 y/o so, for 5 of those years, they didn't even have kids to take care of.  Something about that story didn't add up.

I thought it was really odd that the dining room was clear on the other side of the living area from the kitchen.  I'd hate that.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I still can't get over blowing 12 grand on that little (custom) window. Wow.

It is really ridiculous, I would pay $500 to $1,000 for that little custom window

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I thought it was really odd that the dining room was clear on the other side of the living area from the kitchen.  I'd hate that.

Me too and I wish they were clearer about the part about the house that they weren’t touching that made that space make that area be the only place for the dining area.

I completely understand that building/zoning would require at least two off street parking but I really don’t understand why that space would have to be covered to be up to code. 

• Love 3

I wish they'd leave the oddballs off this show. This couple and the people who washed dishes in the bathroom for a decade come to mind. Nate and Jeremiah talk about how they have to help these unfortunate people move forward with life, and Jeremiah starts tearing up at the unfairness of it all. Are we really supposed to believe these people are going to be just fine because of an expensive remodel to one part of their house? 

• Love 11

I thought it was weird that you had to walk through wooden support posts in the entryway. Also, Nate and Jeremiah really love using those outdoor lanterns for decorative lighting, don't they? I don't think there's been a house this season that didn't have one.

I wish the prices of some pieces weren't shown because it irritates me every time. $3,500 for a sink, oy.

Yeah, this was a weird one. I'm not sure I understand why they couldn't do the master bedroom. I know a lot of this stuff gets donated, maybe the sink was one of those things, but c'mon. Set aside some of this money spent on extravagances and do the damn bedroom.

I wish they'd leave the oddballs off this show. This couple and the people who washed dishes in the bathroom for a decade come to mind. Nate and Jeremiah talk about how they have to help these unfortunate people move forward with life, and Jeremiah starts tearing up at the unfairness of it all. Are we really supposed to believe these people are going to be just fine because of an expensive remodel to one part of their house? 

I have a feeling if they ever did follow-ups to some of these people a few years down the road you'd find their homes in disarray again. I think a lot of these people have serious OCD issues.

• Love 12
(edited)

I have zero sympathy for someone that probably paid well over $1 million for a house, and wasted $200k on top of that for nothing.    Trashed the back yard where it looked like the audition for hoarders, and didn't even paint the place in all the time they lived there.      My guess is there is zero chance they'll ever get permits to fill the back yard with the addition, and they will never be happy no matter what happens.      The homeowners' and their constant whining got old quickly.    I hate the huge outdoor lanterns everyone is using on remodels too.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 11
19 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I have zero sympathy for someone that probably paid well over $1 million for a house, wasted $200k for nothing.    Trashed the back yard where it looked like the audition for hoarders, and didn't even paint the place in all the time they lived there.      My guess is there is zero chance they'll ever get permits to fill the back yard with the addition, and they will never be happy no matter what happens.      The homeowners' and their constant whining got old quickly.    I hate the huge outdoor lanterns everyone is using on remodels too.  

At least the lanterns are easy to remove, if I see that, I would be removing the lanterns after they left 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I get that the laws changed and what they thought they'd be able to do, they weren't able to do but it's hard to sympathize with people who didn't get permits before beginning work.

I'm reminded of an episode of Flip or Flop where they started painting the house and someone from the HOA came along and told them it wasn't in the list of acceptable colors (and it was a gray or something else neutral) and it raised all kinds of drama. Feelings about HOAs aside, how do these experienced house flippers not know to check the HOA rules before starting to paint? I had zero sympathy for them having to start over (but a little sympathy for the workers who actually did the painting).

My dad built a simple deck off the back porch years ago, did it himself with some help from a friend and my brother, no one would even see anything going on from the street, and he didn't do a thing until he got the permits.

• Love 4
(edited)

I love N&J, but this is just not the show for them. (Or anyone?)

Setting up the homeowners as being in dire financial straits and somehow "worthy" of our sympathy, then wildly overspending makes me itch. Some flip shows remodel an entire decrepit house on what these guys blow on a couple of rooms.

Why do N&J make a point of explaining to the homeowners what the "actual" cost of the renovation was without donations? Those scenes just seemed aimed at making the homeowners feel like charity cases.

I rewatched today and the copper sink was actually $2400. Sloppy recall on my part!

In passing, Jeremiah is so high-waisted that he looks like a doddery old man when he tucks his shirts in. It's cute.

Edited by 2727
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, 2727 said:

In passing, Jeremiah is so high-waisted that he looks like a doddery old man when he tucks his shirts in. 

lol...his hat doesn't help. 

• Love 6

I missed the show and my cable provider (Spectrum formerly known as Time Warner) has it locked on the TLC app. Not happy that I couldn’t see it today (or Trading Spaces for that matter). 

Sounds like I missed a mess. I will watch when I can, but y’all don’t seem impressed with what they were able to do for a tad over 100k. A 12k custom window seems like a waste when there were so many untouched projects that could have been done if they had used a 1-2k window instead. A copper sink (expensive to boot) sounds like another waste. They don’t sound like the kind of people who will be polishing it often and copper needs work to keep it looking good. 

I think their (N&J) hearts are in the right place. They mean well. Sometimes no “fix” is ever going to solve some of the homeowners problems. 

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

A 12k custom window seems like a waste when there were so many untouched projects that could have been done if they had used a 1-2k window instead. A copper sink (expensive to boot) sounds like another waste. They don’t sound like the kind of people who will be polishing it often and copper needs work to keep it looking good. 

This.  I am an excellent shopper and I get crazy with N&J's money priorities.  A different farm sink can be had for $800 and still look great!  Why the bajillion $ soapstone counters?  Granite, marble poured concrete for a fraction! That window???  Boy, some glazier sure saw them coming.

I don't get the insistence on blowing the budget on a few items.  Most of these people would be thrilled with a tasteful makeover with Home Depot & Lowe's plumbing & light fixtures.

I'd have given them the master suite with that big budget. 

I really prefer the shows that find a high end "inspired" look, then create the feel using normal people money.  That's where the REAL design talent lies IMHO.

• Love 7

The dinning room was so small and miles away from the kitchen. I guess they’ll eat the island more anyway. The fireplace in the living room still looks ugly. Did they do anything to it? I don’t watch the first half of the sobs stories. I can’t deal with people and their “troubles” of not having a million dollar home and having a nervous breakdown about it. Get a grip people!!!!! I’ve been living in the same modest townhouse for over 20 years and you don’t see me complaining........much. LOL!!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

This.  I am an excellent shopper and I get crazy with N&J's money priorities.  A different farm sink can be had for $800 and still look great!  Why the bajillion $ soapstone counters?  Granite, marble poured concrete for a fraction! That window???  Boy, some glazier sure saw them coming.

I don't get the insistence on blowing the budget on a few items.  Most of these people would be thrilled with a tasteful makeover with Home Depot & Lowe's plumbing & light fixtures.

I'd have given them the master suite with that big budget. 

I really prefer the shows that find a high end "inspired" look, then create the feel using normal people money.  That's where the REAL design talent lies IMHO.

I agree.  And as for things like a sink, some people might not have priorities like that so they are wasting money on those things.  I am fine with the basic stainless steel sink, so if they spent a lot of money getting something I could care less about, well, that is wasted money.  And some of the furniture they get is crazy overpriced as well.  There are so many moderate furniture places with good quality furniture.... 

• Love 4
(edited)

My personal guess is that the homeowners never will get permission to build that addition, and should just fill it in, and make it into a nice backyard area.    Of course, maybe they should start with getting the junk out of the foundation hole first.     

They had eight years to brighten the existing house up, by painting the dry wall parts white, or off white, and getting maintenance issues fixed.     The homeowners were so passive, that I bet nothing will ever be done in that house, because they simply don't care.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My personal guess is that the homeowners never get permission to build that addition, and should just fill it in, and make it into a nice backyard area.    Of course, maybe they should start with getting the junk out of the foundation hole first.     

They could start making the place look better by mowing the lawn and filling in that hole in the back yard. It looked like they had a fairly nice pool.

Knowing she was on TV, that wife could have at least washed her hair.

So the unfinished "master bedroom" is in the old kitchen space between the new kitchen and dining room?!? For "flow" that makes no sense at all. They must have a master bedroom somewhere in that house that they sleep in so why not fix it up? To make it more "luxe" they could take space from an adjacent room.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Copper sink wife promised to be nicer to her husband because of the change to their house. I wonder how long it took for them to start bickering again? 

The hallway to the bedroom looked like a prison. Since they didn't fix their house in over 8 years I doubt the bedroom will ever get done. They were a pretty useless couple.

• Love 8

Jeremiah is so high-waisted that he looks like a doddery old man when he tucks his shirts in.

And Nate is particularly fond of flood-water pants and no socks. I don't get it. Oh well.

I rewatched today and the copper sink was actually $2400.

Oh, is that all? Get a couple of them, then.

My personal guess is that the homeowners never will get permission to build that addition, and should just fill it in, and make it into a nice backyard area.  

It appears they have already decided it's not going to happen, because the newly designated area for the master, which used to be the kitchen, is at the front of the house. The area they had staked out for the addition was in the back. 

Since it was the kitchen there would already be plumbing in that area for a master bath although I suspect it would have to be moved so that's probably why it was cost-prohibitive to include that in the remodel. Still, I wouldn't put any money on this couple ever finishing the job.

Since they are moving back to New York, is the show going to be canceled or will they continue in New York?

My gut tells me this will be the last season. TLC was slow to renew for a third. I think we'll probably end up seeing one or both of them on some other interior design show. There are so many of these types of shows now and so many networks devoted to them. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I am most confused by what that couple saw in the bones of that house in the first place!

It was shit for bones and flow.  Zip for architectural features.   I also call BS on the whole permit debacle.  Sure, they probably bought without due diligence, but if you start working and continue progress, a city won't yank the permits 

Methinks, they hit a bump in the road after the architect soaked them, sat down and started pissing and moaning.  The neighbors got sick of the mess and put pressure on the city.   Also, $100,000 for a 2 car garage?   Somebody laughed all the way to the bank.

7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The homeowners were so passive, that I bet nothing will ever be done in that house, because they simply don't care.    

My point exactly.  Didn't get off their whiney behinds for years to even try to straighten up.  They didn't give enough of a flip to clean up the damn trash in the backyard!  High end accoutrements were a complete waste on them.

They obviously were in it for someone to hold their useless hands and fix their folly.   Move that wall and hit the whole place with laminates, paints, tiles and call it done.  They wouldn't know "quality" if it bit them in the behinds.

• Love 5
(edited)
32 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Sure, they probably bought without due diligence, but if you start working and continue progress, a city won't yank the permits 

But they didn’t really start work they dug a hole that they shouldn’t have done because they didn’t have permits at all so there was no yanking of them.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
(edited)

My guess is the homeowners started without the permit being approved, then when the city denied the permits, they just stopped and the trash collection started.    Who has a bunch of trash in an open hole in the backyard?    Also, if they had gone further without a permit, the city could have not only denied it, but made them remove everything they did.   Unpermitted work is a big no-no, leading to stop work orders, and possible fines.    At least they didn't do any digging into the hill side, that would have been a major catastrophe.  

If they had gone forward with the huge addition, then their back yard would have been right up to the hillside, and nothing but house, with the pool.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Who has a bunch of trash in an open hole in the backyard?    Al

Though I noticed that a lot of the trash was pretty clean and didn’t look like it had been sitting outside for a long period of time so I think the issue was exaggerated.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Or the trash was staged for the audition video, and left for the filming.  

That’s what I meant by being exaggerated they don’t actually have a pit of trash in their backyard just a pit.

Edited by biakbiak
10 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Or the trash was staged for the audition video, and left for the filming.  

Even if they put trash in the hole to make them look more pathetic for the audition, I doubt they dug the hole itself which means it has probably been there for the better part of 8 years.  A huge crater in the center of the backyard is never going to look good with or without trash in it and most people wouldn't have taken the better part of a decade to get rid of it.

• Love 5
(edited)

I agree, that the trash was new, but the hole had been there since they first started planning the addition. 

I bet the couple have applied for every remodeling show on TV, and really thought that N & J would rescue them, and somehow managed to do the addition.    The couple are totally delusional, and will never accept the reality that putting in the foundation wall for the addition was another waste of money.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

It was shit for bones and flow.  Zip for architectural features.

I don't know about flow but I loved the architecture. The back room overlooking the pool was beautiful with high slanted ceilings and unusual beams. Plus that big hill behind them that game them privacy. 

My home was built in 1968, I doubt anyone would say it has "flow" either but I don't really care about that. The rooms are what they are, I don't need the whole house opened up into one big room to make me happy.

• Love 5

Packing up. I wonder if they have found a place or if they are going to move into some place temporary.

They said in this latest episode they finally found a place they wanted to put an offer on. They just didn't show it or elaborate what kind of place it was. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

They said in this latest episode they finally found a place they wanted to put an offer on. They just didn't show it or elaborate what kind of place it was. 

Thanks. Given how these things are usually announced I assumed something fell through because the show was filmed awhile ago.

58 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Hmm, is that the last of the season? Or did they show a rerun because it's Memorial Day weekend? Seemed like a short season.

Rerun because of Memorial Day. 

Apparently they are all moved in:

• Love 2

I caught the rerun of the pregnant, job losing wife whose home turned out to have serious structural problems.  I loved the finished kitchen, but thought the husband and wife offered a somewhat misleading backstory.  I mean, I got that the wife lost her job at the same time they found out they were pregnant with their first kid.  That sucks.  However, they kind of made it seem like the wife was never employed again and that money had been tight, so they did not do needed repairs on the house.  Then when it came time to announce the budget, the husband and wife had about $120,000.00 set aside for remodeling.  That just did not track for me. 

• Love 4
On 5/19/2019 at 2:56 PM, 2727 said:

In passing, Jeremiah is so high-waisted that he looks like a doddery old man when he tucks his shirts in. It's cute.

I think Jeremiah is channeling  40's male fashion

40's fashion.jpg

40's fashion 2.jpg

• Love 5
On 5/30/2019 at 3:35 PM, sheetmoss said:

I think Jeremiah is channeling  40's male fashion

I was thinking the same thing. Jeremiah also likes to wear his pants cuffs rolled up to mid calf sometimes when he's being casual. Not my favorite look but he is definitely in to looking stylish.  Nate is a little more laid back but you can tell both of their clothes, jackets and shoes look expensive. 

• Love 4

This was such a tiny house, but I know Manhattan Beach is insanely expensive. That tiny house cost a cool million at the very least. Even with the floor plan opened up it still looks pretty tiny. It's funny the wife didn't even say anything about the floors not being dark like she asked for. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

It's funny the wife didn't even say anything about the floors not being dark like she asked for. 

More surprising was that she said  that she  loved them! Personally if I had ordered the dark floors and those light ones showed up, back they would have gone. I cannot believe that no one caught it and that N and J didn't mention the mix up. One other thing was removing the back door. I know they needed the room but now they have to go outside to get to the backyard?(Actually, they never showed us the backyard so maybe there really wasn't one! Loved the plantation shutters were gone and the room was light and bright! All in all, a good reno that did feel much more open BUT I always lived in a house with compartmentalized rooms and I have loads of memories of things we did as a family and with friends!

• Love 2

I wasn't paying attention at the very beginning so I missed what happened to the woman's sister.  And did Nate or Jeremiah say that one of the couple is a pediatric oncologist?

The house looked quite nice at the end but, once again, the guys spent a lot more money than necessary.  One of the first things they said while looking at the kitchen was that it needed marble.  They could have achieved an equally nice and more practical effect with quartz or granite.  I thought the black veining on the marble they chose was much too obvious.  It took over the entire room.  I liked the couple so I'm glad they were happy at the end.

I hope we get to see the new place in NYC - not sure if they bought a house or apartment.  I'm really curious.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, mlp said:

I wasn't paying attention at the very beginning so I missed what happened to the woman's sister.  And did Nate or Jeremiah say that one of the couple is a pediatric oncologist?

She just said her sister was killed; didn't say how, or how long ago.

I believe they said she's a pediatric cardiologist.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, mlp said:

hope we get to see the new place in NYC - not sure if they bought a house or apartment.  I'm really curious.

They said it was in their old neighborhood which is Greenwich Village which has a mixture of townhouses and apartments so who knows. I am surprised they kept it off the real estate blogs who usually uncover these things which leads me to believe we will either see it on the show or in a magazine spread shortly after the season ends. Though was this the season finale because the clip for next week was a repeat of the trash heap episode?

I thought the marble was too busy for the space and would have cut the peninsula short and not had the seating and had more room for the table because that area seemed way too cramped. I am so over designers doing banquets with round tables.

i wonder if the family wasn’t that big of tv watchers because I have the smallest tv of anyone I know because it’s all that will fit in an antique cabinet I love and it’s still bigger than the place that had for the family’s tv.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

i wonder if the family wasn’t that big of tv watchers because I have the smallest tv of anyone I know because it’s all that will fit in an antique cabinet I love and it’s still bigger than the place that had for the family’s tv.

My problem with the TV was having it behind doors. Unless they truly don't watch TV that much they're probably not going to bother closing the cabinet and that kind of defeats the purpose and blocks the view of the shelving on the side (unless the doors could be slid into the sides?).

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

No there's a new ep next week.

Thanks! I wonder why they showed the trash heap clip when they said on the next episode. I didn’t bother to watch the whole clip because I didn’t like them.

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My problem with the TV was having it behind doors. Unless they truly don't watch TV that much they're probably not going to bother closing the cabinet and that kind of defeats the purpose and blocks the view of the shelving on the side (unless the doors could be slid into the sides?).

Yeah at least with my cabinet the doors slide back into the cabinet so when it’s open they aren’t in the way but that didn’t appear to be the case here or at least wasn’t on the drawing. That is going to be cumbersome and without moving the chairs the couch is really the only place to watch the tv and while they can all probably fit now they girls are growing so it will be pretty tight fairly soon.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Thanks! I wonder why they showed the trash heap clip when they said on the next episode. I didn’t bother to watch the whole clip because I didn’t like them.

I thought that was the beginning (or a clip) of a rerun of that episode that came on next, not a clip for next week. 

(edited)
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought that was the beginning (or a clip) of a rerun of that episode that came on next, not a clip for next week. 

Oh our channel guide showed a different show on after.

Edited by biakbiak