Type keyword(s) to search

Nate And Jeremiah By Design - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Sharonana said:

I enjoy this show but don't understand that if some of these clients are struggling with the budget, why don't Nate and Jeremiah shop at Lowe's or Home Depot or Home Goods? It kills me seeing what they spend on some of these items. I could redo my entire home for the price that they spend on one room. My husband and I have been doing renovations to the house for the past few years, and these are our go to stores. Their stuff is just as nice as some of that high end shee shee stuff they buy. I love a good bargain and am quite proud when I can get tile or bathroom hardware on sale. But that's just me. YMMV.

I have the same complaint about Love it or List and probably a few other shows. The owners do have to put up money for the remodel, but the designers go for very high end items. Even with a designer's discount, this has to add up. I'd would have loved imported hand-painted tiles on my bathroom walls and handblown Venetian glass lighting fixtures in my kitchen, but I had to settle for the standard stuff and it works fine. 

• Love 6

I enjoy this show but don't understand that if some of these clients are struggling with the budget, why don't Nate and Jeremiah shop at Lowe's or Home Depot or Home Goods? It kills me seeing what they spend on some of these items. I could redo my entire home for the price that they spend on one room. My husband and I have been doing renovations to the house for the past few years, and these are our go to stores. Their stuff is just as nice as some of that high end shee shee stuff they buy. I love a good bargain and am quite proud when I can get tile or bathroom hardware on sale. But that's just me. YMMV.

I've complained about this very thing, most especially because at the end of every episode they enumerate how much the house has increased in value based on their work and so much of that is determined by what they spent on high-end fixtures and finishes. I guess that's fine since house value is house value, but there was an episode last season where they were doing some kind of community center with a limited budget and I thought it was a bad fit for them. The center didn't need to spend that kind of money on high end furniture and baubles. 

I just accept that this isn't a discount show.

• Love 6

I’m really bummed that they are moving back to NYC.  They love Manhattan because everything is walking distance and there is such a vibrant energy about the place. BUT, living in such an urban environment is so limiting in terms of style and function.  They will likely be raising those kids in a high rise because you can’t get a house with a yard in Manhattan.  At least LA (and it’s suburbs) has a family atmosphere in general  with cul-de-sacs and yards and playgrounds.  

Full disclosure....I live in a suburb of LA.  And love it here.  BUT everything is very expensive. This last couple bought that crappy house for a fortune and thought they could fix it up themselves. Except, oh yeah, those pesky rotting structural issues....and the rotting rear deck.  

In other parts of the country you can do the same things for a lot less, I’m sure.  Contractors charge less, flooring is less, etc.  They keep advertising that Living Spaces provides things, for free I’m assuming, but they get the exposure in lieu of an actual ad.  

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/30/2019 at 8:53 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is the fancy places they go to are exchanging supplies for publicity.     I would love to see design shows where they go to stores that most of us would shop at, or bargain hunt.   

Love or hate her style--I think she has an eye, but Aubrey fro Flip or Flop Vegas will often show the clearance rooms for  tile,  slabs, flooring, etc for their flips.

What's interesting is, the cost of of the  laying/installing/fabricating can be double or more of the price she paid for the item

16 hours ago, LisainCali said:

I’m really bummed that they are moving back to NYC.  They love Manhattan because everything is walking distance and there is such a vibrant energy about the place. BUT, living in such an urban environment is so limiting in terms of style and function.  They will likely be raising those kids in a high rise because you can’t get a house with a yard in Manhattan.  At least LA (and it’s suburbs) has a family atmosphere in general  with cul-de-sacs and yards and playgrounds.  

Full disclosure....I live in a suburb of LA.  And love it here.  BUT everything is very expensive. This last couple bought that crappy house for a fortune and thought they could fix it up themselves. Except, oh yeah, those pesky rotting structural issues....and the rotting rear deck.  

In other parts of the country you can do the same things for a lot less, I’m sure.  Contractors charge less, flooring is less, etc.  They keep advertising that Living Spaces provides things, for free I’m assuming, but they get the exposure in lieu of an actual ad.  

You can find homes in Manhattan with yards/outdoor space but it will cost you, since they sold their house for over $13+ million, they'll be able to find something w/a yard in that starting price range

ETA: Here's Sonja Morgan(Real Ho'wives NYC) Upper Eastside townhouse w/outdoor space . It was listed for over $7+ million

It's also a short walk to Central Park - the ultimate outdoor space.

https://streeteasy.com/blog/rhonys-sonja-morgan-townhouse-for-rent-asks-32k-month-for-townhouse/

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, LisainCali said:

NYC has a family atmosphere too and there are tons of parks and green spaces. A child doesn't need a bit of manicured green behind their house to know what the outdoors is. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

: Here's Sonja Morgan(Real Ho'wives NYC) Upper Eastside townhouse w/outdoor space . It was listed for over $7+ million

That place is a fixer upper right next to a parking garage and there is no way they would live in that neighborhood. They said that they were going to look downtown in their old neighborhood which was Greenwich Village.

• Love 4

The product placement in this show cracks me up sometimes. Nate just did a commercial for Command picture hanging strips in the guise of a debate about where to hang a particular picture.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

The product placement in this show cracks me up sometimes. Nate just did a commercial for Command picture hanging strips in the guise of a debate about where to hang a particular picture.

That was cringe worthy!  You could see that Jeremiah was trying not to laugh because he knew it was so absurd.  

I'm really surprised that since N and J have two very young children, that they would be more conscious of decorating for a family.  This couple had a 1 and 3 year old and they put a light colored couch and two large white chairs in the family room?!

Overall, it was a nice design, but $183k?  No, just no.  I understand the glass doors and the staircase ate up a third of the homeowner's budget, but I just can't wrap my brain around the remaining $150k spent on cosmetic elements for three rooms.  I wish they didn't hang the TV over the fireplace - it looked better on that huge empty wall where it was hung previously.

A couple of vain notes, the wife was beautiful!! She was naturally stunning.  And Nate looks even more handsome with glasses.

• Love 9

Another sea of cream and gray. The guys actually hung up that rustic wood picture frame with a splotch of dried glue in the middle. Abstract art!

The pricey custom furniture continues to annoy me when we're supposed to believe these homeowners are all stretched to their financial limits. The premise just doesn't hold together. 

At least on Thom and Carson's design show they do one expensive room and one on a more realistic budget.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/4/2019 at 6:52 PM, ams1001 said:

I remember when they did the same thing with Command strips in an episode of Design Star back in the day.  That show really went overboard with product placement/ sponsorships.  As does Top Chef.  And Project Runway (oh yeah, Tim Gunn has a commercial pimping Command Strips). 

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 3

I didn’t understand the need for two huge dining areas. When they first mentioned the banquet I assumed they were going to switch the dining room and the living room but nope just double the dining areas.

I guess it’s kind of refreshing in the world of I have to see the kids at all times that the playroom is tucked away from both the kitchen and living room!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, kirklandia said:

I remember when they did the same thing with Command strips in an episode of Design Star back in the day.  That show really went overboard with product placement/ sponsorships.  As did Too Chef.  And Project Runway (oh yeah, Tim Gunn has a commercial pimping Command Strips). 

Haven't seen any of those except the Tim Gunn commercial. Usually they're slightly subtler when mentioning which model and color of Delta faucet they used. This was almost word-for-word the Tim Gunn commercial, complete with close-up of him pulling off the strip.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was wondering about the glass back doors.    The original wall between the French doors looks like it was very well braced.    In earthquake country the removal of the center portion, even with the new bracing might not have been a great idea.    I'm sure they have proper approvals from engineers, but it still looked less secure to me.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Usually I kind of roll my eyes at the "tragic circumstances" that the homeowners are facing that N & J have to save them from because they seem way overblown for the show, but I legit felt really bad for this family especially the mother who had an auto-immune disease, a torn ACL, and a blod clot. I was really glad that N&J helped them out.

• Love 6
On 5/3/2019 at 10:06 PM, LisainCali said:

On 5/4/2019 at 2:23 PM, Grrarrggh said:

NYC has a family atmosphere too and there are tons of parks and green spaces. A child doesn't need a bit of manicured green behind their house to know what the outdoors is. 

Bravo just had a show, Backyard Envy, about a company that did landscaping in the greater New York City metro region. They did some commercial work and had some jobs that were further out, but also did a ton of work within the 5 boroughs. Folks have yards and outdoor spaces in NYC.

This latest family really did seem like their lives went tits up quickly.

• Love 1

Bits like that are beneath them.

The wife in this episode sure had her hands full with medical problems. Even without the crutches, it looked like she was still going to have trouble getting up and down that huge stair case. And even after they had made a point of saying they were worried about transitioning the kids back into regular beds it was never addressed in the end. The upstairs portion of that house remained an enigma.

I did not like the tassels that were hanging from the light fixtures over the dining room table. I thought they looked really dumb. 

I want to give N&J the benefit of the doubt that they don't in fact to defer to Poppy when picking out fixtures and furnishings but I have a feeling that kid is going to grow up with an inflated sense of entitlement. I think she's got both of them wrapped around her little finger.

• Love 5

I've decided what I really want is a reality show that follows their lives; family time with the kids, remodeling their place, design tips and conversations, antiques shopping, space planning, etc. Throw in a few before and after scenes of finished rooms they've done for clients. No need to meet the homeowners at all! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
On 4/28/2019 at 9:58 AM, jumper sage said:

@TwirlyGirly - awesome use of OG emojis.

I think they do it for the cameras....otherwise,  it's just the usual,  boring, mostly kid-centered talk that we all do everyday around the house. 

Jeremiah seems nicer than Nate. ....and I used to love Nate. He seems kinda cranky, driven, and used to having helpers listen to him.  I think he has a hard time sharing the spotlight. He was Oprah's chosen one! 

His mother is a hoot....very quirky/giggly. She  had a design show on Hgtv in the really old days.  Im blanking on her name now.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't believe the people in "Relaxed Global" are living in that house with their three kids.    I love the couple, and their kids are adorable, but they need to be out of that toxic environment.   

I love the after on that house.     It's mind boggling that the original builder really didn't do HVAC to half of the house either.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Go Poppy!  She just told her parents she doesn’t like white rooms. Lol. I am so over all of these white rooms in the design world. So I am with you Poppy!  

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Friend of 20 years or not, I think N&J's realtor has quite an uphill climb with those two. They didn't like the lovely brownstone because it didn't fit their lives (I assume the stairs?) but they also don't want a loft space. NYC has plenty of single-floor apartments but those typically don't have outdoor space, unless a narrow terrace counts. I have no idea why they thought they couldn't raise kids in NY, but given that bias, still think they'll ultimately end up in the suburbs of CT or NJ.

39 minutes ago, alexa said:

I am so over all of these white rooms in the design world.

I am fond of the guys, in a TV way, and love watching them work, but were I rich I'd never hire them. They consistently turn out bland, basic rooms to me. (Sarah Richardson remains my ideal designer but at least people like Luke on Boise Boys or the Good Bones ladies try different things.)

• Love 7
2 hours ago, alexa said:

Go Poppy!  She just told her parents she doesn’t like white rooms. Lol. I am so over all of these white rooms in the design world. So I am with you Poppy!  

I had to laugh when the mother said she was a "black and white" person and I thought, you should hire Leanne Ford! And when Nate and Jeremiah were choosing colors, one of them said, "we need Joanna Gaines' help and I thought to myself..."for color"?

One thing I was surprised about was that since they didn't want the one door painted because of the height markings of the kids, they didn't mention that it was painted...I was expecting N and J to open the door and show them!

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

One thing I was surprised about was that since they didn't want the one door painted because of the height markings of the kids, they didn't mention that it was painted...I was expecting N and J to open the door and show them!

I thought the same thing! I guess they were just so overwhelmed by everything they didn't notice. (Though I would have thought someone on the production staff would have nudged them just for the moment of drama/suspense.) I thought that entryway was a little much when they first showed it (didn't expect the mural to cover the whole thing like that) but it kinda grew on me toward the end. The girls' room was very sweet but oh my god so much pink! The boy's room seemed very dark. With such dark blue walls I'd think lighter furniture would be better.

• Love 5

This was a weird one. I didn't like the blue color and I think the wife probably told them she wanted something blue which is why Jeremiah said "You know I think I might introduce some color!" Didn't like the wall art in the entryway either, it looked like some art project you'd see on Trading Spaces. 

Who buys a house that only has ventilation on one side of it? Were there vents in those rooms but nothing coming out of them? I wasn't clear on this or why mold was such a huge problem. I hate to say it but I think this couple was a bit naive, to say the least. And a bit misguided to be spending all that money on vacation trips when their home was in such a dangerous state. 

Also, when the husband said "in our culture owning your own home is very important," I thought well that's true in any culture, buddy.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Who buys a house that only has ventilation on one side of it? Were there vents in those rooms but nothing coming out of them? I wasn't clear on this or why mold was such a huge problem. I hate to say it but I think this couple was a bit naive, to say the least. And a bit misguided to be spending all that money on vacation trips when their home was in such a dangerous state. 

Sounded to me like they should have spent some money on a therapist (and fixing their home), not a vacation. (Not trying to play internet doctor, but several miscarriages not long after having a baby, along with her description of how she was feeling, sounds like post-partum depression. A trip to Hawaii isn't going to fix that.)

Is inspection and certificate of occupancy not a thing in California? Why would they sign off on allowing people to live in a house that's not properly ventilated (which is most likely why they had mold in the kids' rooms). When I bought my condo, the closing would not have happened if the inspector found something so wrong with the HVAC.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This was a weird one. I didn't like the blue color and I think the wife probably told them she wanted something blue which is why Jeremiah said "You know I think I might introduce some color!" Didn't like the wall art in the entryway either, it looked like some art project you'd see on Trading Spaces. 

Also, when the husband said "in our culture owning your own home is very important," I thought well that's true in any culture, buddy.

My first reaction was....Too much blue.....and, the wrong shade of blue. It.was.every.where.

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Um, isn’t the same in every culture? Weird statement. IMO!

• Love 2

I had very few problems with the end result of this house. 

About that door, the side of that door wasn’t painted, the height markings were left intact, the door was flipped so the marked side was facing the inside, not outside. The artwork in the entry I though was a unique touch and using the colors from the jewelry was a night touch. The number of bedrooms for that family could eventually lead to an expansion if that house is going to be a forever house. As to the mold, dampness etc. That’s tied to the HVAC problem. 

My guess is that since the LA area is so competitive, and over priced, that the couple skipped inspections to make their offer more attractive to the sellers.    If you're doing a gut renovation on a house, to flip it, that makes sense, but not to live in the house yourself.       I wonder how much mold is not visible in that house?     

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, 2727 said:

have no idea why they thought they couldn't raise kids in NY, but given that bias, still think they'll ultimately end up in the suburbs of CT or NJ.

I really doubt it. They clearly want the city lifestyle otherwise they would stay in LA.

I didn’t like the color it looked more like something you would choose for a little boys nursery. I also thought the floors were too yellow and the thing in the atrium was ugly and looked cheap.

• Love 3

I didn't really like this one.  The foyer art was lovely, but I think it was too much.  If it was just limited to one wall and the design/color was added as some accent pieces (throw pillows, a vase, etc) in the living and dining room, I think it would have looked better.  For someone who favors neutrals/blacks and whites, there was a lot of blue!  A lot!  Again with the light colored furniture with three kids under the age of 6!  I'm glad N & J talked to the homeowners about the children having their own rooms.  I don't understand these people who are so concerned with having a dedicated guest room that would rarely be used rather than utilizing it as a space that would be used on a daily basis - a child's bedroom, play area, office, etc (Looking at you House Hunters/International)  The little girl's room was very pretty, but she didn't seem too impressed with it. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I don't understand these people who are so concerned with having a dedicated guest room that would rarely be used rather than utilizing it as a space that would be used on a daily basis - a child's bedroom, play area, office, etc (Looking at you House Hunters/International)  The little girl's room was very pretty, but she didn't seem too impressed with it. 

I don't get the guest room thing, either. She did say she wanted them all in the same room, right? That might work when they're young (my brother and I shared a room until I was almost 3 but that was because we lived in a two-bedroom house until I was 2 1/2; they put me into my own room a few months after we moved) but in a few years they're gonna need their own space. When my grandparents came to visit my grandmother slept in my room, my grandfather slept on the sofa bed in the living room, and I slept on a cot in my brother's room. It wasn't a big deal.

I give the little girl a pass because she's two. There's probably so much happening around her and she doesn't really know what's going on.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Didn't like the wall art in the entryway either, it looked like some art project you'd see on Trading Spaces. 

Yeah, it looked like something that was appropriate for one of the kid's rooms, not the entryway to the house. 

• Love 2
On 5/12/2019 at 10:56 AM, suebee12 said:

I had to laugh when the mother said she was a "black and white" person and I thought, you should hire Leanne Ford! And when Nate and Jeremiah were choosing colors, one of them said, "we need Joanna Gaines' help and I thought to myself..."for color"?

That is funny about the Gaines--  between N & J and the Gaines, they all do so much of that plain, earthy stuff.  I do like some of their rooms, but it gets so old over time when there are so many different color palettes you could use to achieve the same effect.  I won't watch Fixer Upper for this reason--it is like a repeat of a repeat episode over and over.  

• Love 5

Since the family was originally from the Philippines, I bet when they have visitors they stay for quite a while, not just a few days.   

I worked with a lady from the Philippines, and when her relatives came to visit they stayed for at least a month.    Then when her kids were on their own, her sisters and husbands moved to the U.S. and were all living with her.    

• Love 1
16 hours ago, juliet73 said:

The little girl's room was very pretty, but she didn't seem too impressed with it. 

I thought it was odd that the girls' room had a bed and a trundle and the boy got the bunk beds. I know Camellia is a baby right now, but in about 2 years she will be graduating to a 'big girl bed' and it seemed like there was no room in their room for that. They're not going to want to pull out the trundle bed every night for that kid to sleep.  I had a trundle bed as a tween/early teen and its purpose was for sleepovers, not every day use. 

On 5/12/2019 at 12:29 PM, ams1001 said:

(Not trying to play internet doctor, but several miscarriages not long after having a baby, along with her description of how she was feeling, sounds like post-partum depression. A trip to Hawaii isn't going to fix that.)

Def sounds like PPD.  They stated the middle child was 2.  Even if she was closer to 3 than 2, they were starting right away for that third. That's a lot of stress for the body. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Since the family was originally from the Philippines, I bet when they have visitors they stay for quite a while, not just a few days.   

That's a good point; I didn't think about that. I should have, too. My coworker and her husband are from Portugal. They only get to go home every few years (last time was three or four years ago) because she has to use at least 3 weeks of vacation time to make it worth going (between travel time and the cost for them and their two kids). They had family here over the holidays and they stayed for a few weeks. (No idea what their guest room situation is.)

7 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I thought it was odd that the girls' room had a bed and a trundle and the boy got the bunk beds. I know Camellia is a baby right now, but in about 2 years she will be graduating to a 'big girl bed' and it seemed like there was no room in their room for that. They're not going to want to pull out the trundle bed every night for that kid to sleep.  I had a trundle bed as a tween/early teen and its purpose was for sleepovers, not every day use. 

You were fortunate that your trundle bed was for sleepovers. I had one in the bedroom I shared with my little brother. When he 'graduated' from the crib in the room and it was taken away he slept on the lower trundle. It was pulled out each night for him. That lasted for at least five years until we finally had a big enough house for me (the only girl) to have my own room.

22 hours ago, kirklandia said:

The rope web above the upper bunk in the boy's bedroom looked like a tragic accident waiting to happen.

OMG, yes! If I were the parents, the minute M&J left the house I would immediately take it down.

• Love 5
(edited)

I did not care for the light blue in the main space and agree with those who thought the "mural" was too much. I was also disappointed that N&J went so stereotypical in the kids' rooms: blue and cartoons for the boy and pink and flowers for the girl. As designers, I would expect them to be able to move out of the the stereotypically gendered box.

I hope we get to see more of their house hunt in NYC.

Edited by jcbrown
punctuation does not cost extra
  • Love 7
(edited)

I think the theme for the kid's rooms were what the kids asked for. 

This week, The New Chalet, they spent $200k and they only have a hole in the back yard, that they threw junk into?     Whatever they build next to that hill will be a nightmare whenever it rains.    On a tacky note, I hate the woman's hair.   

The existing house could be painted inside, and have the repairs it needs.   You don't just leave electric outlets open like that.   Eight years, and they just sit there on their butts.  If nothing else, get some decent primer, and off white paint, and paint the red walls, and anything else that's drywall, and it will be so bright in that house.   

Then get the electricians in to do basic lights, electrical repairs, and forget the addition.     So for eight years they've just been sitting there, whining, and throwing junk in the hole in the back yard?     They're lucky the city codes enforcement didn't get them for illegal dumping, and trashing their yard.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

This week, The New Chalet, they spent $200k and they only have a hole in the back yard, that they threw junk into?     

What do these people do that they can throw so much money into a pit that's getting nowhere? And 50 grand just to get some plans drawn up? I think I would have cut my losses a long time ago. And now they're giving N&J another $109k?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

What do these people do that they can throw so much money into a pit that's getting nowhere? And 50 grand just to get some plans drawn up? I think I would have cut my losses a long time ago. And now they're giving N&J another $109k?

They didn't seem like the sharpest tools in the shed.  I realize that housing costs in California are ridiculously high so people end up buying houses without inspections; but, when it comes to a house like that, an older home purchased specifically so it could be renovated and an addition built; wouldn't you want to check out housing codes and requirements before buying?  Or before paying 50 grand for architectural plans for an addition that cannot and will not ever meet code and therefore can never be built?  And certainly before digging starting to dig the foundation for said addition.  It also shouldn't have been that hard for them to discover that the community where the house was located had some really strict building codes and that they'd be required to build an enclosed garage before they could do anything else. 

The fact that, after spending $200 grand because they were dumb enough to buy a house in that community, they not only didn't decide to sell and salvage something but instead just sit on their butts doing nothing for years and years just points even more strongly to a lack of brainpower in that pair.

• Love 10

If the homeowners were too overwhelmed (lazy? dumb? broke?) for years on end to get a wheelbarrow, rent a truck and take the backyard garbage to the dump, they could at least have gotten a skip and hired a day worker to fill it. It's not an impossible dream!

The layout was still awkward, what with having to walk through the dining area to get to the future master bedroom. The huge ugly fireplace didn't get updated, either.

Kind of disappointing, guys!

I wish the prices of some pieces weren't shown because it irritates me every time. $3,500 for a sink, oy.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I wish the prices of some pieces weren't shown because it irritates me every time. $3,500 for a sink, oy.

I missed the prices. I could do a really nice job on my (tiny) kitchen and bathroom for that.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I know.  I mean, I loved the look of that kitchen and I don't begrudge people spending the money if they have it except when we're supposed to feel sorry for people's poor financial decisions.

I get that the laws changed and what they thought they'd be able to do, they weren't able to do but it's hard to sympathize with people who didn't get permits before beginning work.

• Love 6