Type keyword(s) to search

Nate And Jeremiah By Design - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

So far I like this show but am amazed at how people destroy their house with no plan or money to actually finish it. So it kind of annoys me they get an amazing update far higher than their budget. I didn't like last nights episode as much as the wife was pretty annoying with her aversion to the kitchen in a house she chose. 

• Love 8

They've gone $100k over budget on every episode so far. How many favors can these guys get when there's no real product placement? There was some subtle placement last night with the appliances, but then they panned the checkerboard floor and noted it was $12,000. For real? And since the company wasn't named, who is comping this stuff? A first-season reality show isn't going to go that far out to pay for both the talent AND the vast majority of the reno. 

• Love 4

I liked the reference in last night's episode to "sharing our own stuff". I'm sure Nate and his husband are nice people, but let's put it how it probably really was: They wanted to redecorate their own place and used the things they don't want anymore in someone else's reno.

Sew Sumi is right. How are they going to keep up the $100K over budget designs when there's no product placement? I also had questions about putting two small kids in a house full of Carerra marble and "bling". 

• Love 2

My SIL is a CPA, and one of her clients was on a home reno show. The budget was $40K, the actual costs of the reno were $70K. Awesome, right? Yep. Until they got a 1099 for the $30K.  So all I can think about is the tax bill these people are about to have for all those favors that get called in.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

They've gone $100k over budget on every episode so far. How many favors can these guys get when there's no real product placement?

I am thinking the same thing.  The well has to run dry at some point.  Couldn't a family hit by a tornado or something benefit more?

2 hours ago, Broken Ox said:

My SIL is a CPA, and one of her clients was on a home reno show. The budget was $40K, the actual costs of the reno were $70K. Awesome, right? Yep. Until they got a 1099 for the $30K.  So all I can think about is the tax bill these people are about to have for all those favors that get called in.

OH SNAP!  There you go!  Shall we place bets on whose house gets foreclosed on first?

ETA to add:  Poppy is adorable.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 3

I already thought Nate Berkus was one of the more charming men on the planet, but I didn't know Jeremiah prior to this show. The ads for it didn't give me that much of an impression of him, but by halfway thru the first episode, I was trying to determine which one of these hubbies was funnier, cuter, hotter and snarkier, and I think now I crush more on Jeremiah than on Nate. They're freakishly adorable. Add puppy and baby and they're the cutest family on TV. It makes me laugh how every female homeowner has had to mention how hot they are, but seriously, it would be impossible not to.

• Love 8

I totally think Jeremiah is much cuter, but I have never been that wowed by Nate.  I like both Jeremiah in terms of looks and personality best...

• Love 4

I think there are problems with the format.  I mean how long can they call in favors for $100K in freebies BUT

I really enjoy the interaction of Nate and Jeremiah and Poppy.  I think that kind of teasing that they do with one another can often come across mean spirited.  But the two of them are just so authentic that it's funny.  And I love when a baby is so happy.  You know they are loved. 

So problems aside I'll keep watching because I actually enjoy Nate and Jeremiah.  Unlike hosts on so many shows where conflict is the selling point. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/7/2017 at 6:04 PM, Sew Sumi said:

They've gone $100k over budget on every episode so far. How many favors can these guys get when there's no real product placement? There was some subtle placement last night with the appliances, but then they panned the checkerboard floor and noted it was $12,000. For real? And since the company wasn't named, who is comping this stuff? A first-season reality show isn't going to go that far out to pay for both the talent AND the vast majority of the reno. 

I wondered too about the $12k for flr cited,  if it also included the hardwood in the FR?

I guess they could always take out a2nd mortgage w/the increase in house equity to pay the taxman, in the end though paying taxes on $100k reno is probably a bargain in the end for what you're getting.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 2

Love the show and have been a big fan of Nate ever since he was a cute little baby-faced designer on The Oprah Winfrey Show.  He and his hubby are fun to watch, and yes, Poppy is so darn cute!

I didn't like last nights episode as much as the wife was pretty annoying with her aversion to the kitchen in a house she chose. 

THIS!  If I were the husband, that would have not stood unless she was clinically diagnosed with some sort of mental health disorder.  And then she is crying about missing the time with her girls.

Did not like the end result in that particular home. I get what the homeowners said they wanted, but to me, that glam just doesn't go with the house or the area.  You are in southern California, and you have a full wall of drapes!?!?!  Didn't she say she didn't want black and white?

Also hate the pointed custom corners of the islands. Yes, Nate, it gives it an expensive, custom look, but how many bruises is everyone going to get from bumping into those corners?  Usually I like having a 2nd sink, a prep sink, but that sink in the island seemed large for a prep sink, and I just didn't get it.  Appliances were beautiful, though.  Nate said they are his design? I'll have to check that out.

I agree about going so far over budget.  Ridiculous and not necessary.  I would much rather that they get just a few donations, but then focus on being realistic with the choices.  I remember years ago on HGTV Sarah Richardson (my favorite TV designer) did a show where she was decorating a tract-home in the suburbs, I assume outside of Toronto.  She made very deliberate choices on where to spend money, explaining why.  Splurge on this, save on this.

I'm glad that they sort of touched on the amount of stuff in the house.  Guess what, honey?  If you didn't spend thousands on CRAP that fills every corner of your house, maybe you would have more money to do the reno.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Also hate the pointed custom corners of the islands. Yes, Nate, it gives it an expensive, custom look, but how many bruises is everyone going to get from bumping into those corners?

That's exactly what I was screaming at the tv!  Especially with kids, looks dangerous. 

• Love 4

That's exactly what I was screaming at the tv!  Especially with kids, looks dangerous. 

I read the comments here before I had a chance to watch the episode.  And when they showed the kitchen afterwards every time the wife walked by the corner she held on to it as she passed.  I do that on a particular piece of furniture that I am always smacking into.  So she's hit those corners plenty herself.

I did like the appliance handles.  Good look.  Nate made his consulting fee on that one.

• Love 2

I haven't seen all of these, but I did watch the one where the wife had a "medical issue" that they had to focus on in the design.  Nothing could stress her out and that included any patterns that  they would use.  Which is all well and fine, except after they had nixed lots of patterns ("no black and white?  what ever shall we doooooooo?"),  in the two weeks later shot, there she was in her calm pattern-free kitchen, with her little boy in a bright blue and white striped shirt.  About 1000 times more exciting than any pattern they had even considered.

• Love 2

Loved the recent episode where a woman inherited her uncle's house.  THEY ACTUALLY NOT ONLY STAYED WITHIN THE BUDGET BUT WERE IN UNDER BUDGET.  Sorry for the yelling but it's a first for this show.

I absolutely hate the green dining room.

• Love 4

I hope that house looked better in person.   The kitchen was great, but the green painted wallpaper and the all-brown room were sooo dark and splotchy looking to me.    They made the green room better by doing the extended white curtains so they covered up some of the walls but I really thought the darker ceiling and dark walls were too much.  I know they were going for a moody vibe but it felt like the mood would be depression if you lived there all the time.    

• Love 4

I like the show and Nate and Jeremiah but I don't care for the finished product. The inherited house was the worst with those awful dark colors. It made the low ceilings look even lower. The walls and ceiling had a textured look that indicated that they hadn't dealt with the peeling ceiling. Definitely did not understand keeping that awful outdoor fireplace and just adding drywall to cover the pyramid brick stacked wall. They went too far with the lounge theme. 

• Love 1

Wow, I hated the dark colors as well.  And I'm a big fan of a saturated color.  I did like the kitchen.  I liked the living room layout.  I'm wondering whether keeping that outdoor fireplace might have something to do with the brick.  If they took it out the house would fall down?  Hmmmm don't know.

Interesting how much of the original home they kept in their own renovation.  Does anyone know what neighborhood in LA it's in?

(edited)

Oh, those brown walls of "happy hour" made me very sad. I haven't quite liked any of the homes that I've seen Nate and Jeremiah do so far. Some have been okay, I'd give it 70% satisfaction, but still, I guess I just don't like their style. I've been happier with the work that I've seen from Jeff Lewis (high strung guy on Bravo). I like them and their daughter a lot, though. I'd like to see their work on their new house. Or as Poppy would say "newwww houssse!"

Interesting how much of the original home they kept in their own renovation.  Does anyone know what neighborhood in LA it's in?

The homeowners said they "have the best kitchen in Eagle Rock", which is between Glendale and Pasadena.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 1

Agreed about the colors. I love the look of bold color but that brown and green were awful. Esp being used in the same house. And then the kitchen was completely opposite and sort of bland. 

I love Nate and Jeremiah's new house!  Although the kitchen is now super-boring with the muted colors.  But the space, the windows, the easy-grandeur.  So nice.

I enjoyed the woman in the most recent episode. Everyone seems to appreciate having Nate and Jeremiah come in to take over, but she REALLY seemed to appreciate it.   If it were me, they would never be able to get rid of me since they seem like a nice couple who would be fun to hang around with.

• Love 1

My BFF hated the green room too but I kind of liked it. I love bold, rich colors. But it did surprise me; it seemed so out of N&J's wheelhouse.

I kind of hated the woman in the episode. She'd inherited the house, but she seemed to pin the lack of progress and work done to it solely on her fiancé. the whole deal with taking off the ring and being so pissed at him...for no actual reason I could ascertain...made me want him to run screaming.

I'd love to know what they did for a living that enable them to save 100 grand for renovations.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

the whole deal with taking off the ring and being so pissed at him...for no actual reason I could ascertain...made me want him to run screaming.

Who does that?  If I was him I would be wary.

• Love 5

This is one of the few shows in which I think that the homeowners do actually have some input on design. Even though Nate said something along the lines of "I am not going to consult you on every detail" a few episodes back, it looks to me as though they do design with homeowner's preferences in mind. This last episode with the brown and green walls was not at all to my taste, but the homeowners seemed pleased with it.

In general I've liked the shows so far, even when some of the choices wouldn't have been mine.

And Poppy is completely adorable.

• Love 2

So in the last episode they showed some glimpses of their new home, which they talked up as their "forever" home and how they would all grow old together in this home - and yet as soon as they finished the reno, it went on the market.

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-nate-berkus-hollywood-home-for-sale-20160914-snap-story.html

Hmm, so they didn't like their own finished reno? The neighborhood? Found something they liked better?

• Love 1

These two give me such a case of the warm fuzzies that I find I watch more for their interactions than the actual design element!  Add Poppy in and it's cuteness overload!  Adoring this show.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kiki620 said:

These two give me such a case of the warm fuzzies that I find I watch more for their interactions than the actual design element!  Add Poppy in and it's cuteness overload!  Adoring this show.  

Agree!  Cuteness overload, indeed!  That is one thing this show has that no other show has.  Another is the money angle, the most recent episode there were no freebies.  The couple had a clear budget ($100,000, part of the late uncle's estate I would imagine), and prices of the various projects were talked about.  Some reno shows just give homeowners a reno with no word on budget.

• Love 1

Just watched the most recent one. I did not mind the green, per se, but did not like the textured wallpaper under it or that they painted the ceiling the same color. Did they paint the sauna, too? I could not tell from the reveal shots. I HATED the poop brown in the living room area. And if you come near my house with brass anything, we will have to have words. We have been working to de-80s our place for a few years now and finally managed to expunge all the brass last year.

I do not get the warm fuzzies for the odds of success of this couple, though, if she holds engagement over his head the way she did. "Our house that I inherited is not finished to my liking so I refuse to acknowledge our engagement"? I think he likely should have taken that opportunity and gotten out while the getting was good.

• Love 5

I felt like the first few episodes--the ending result for the rooms looked very similar from house to house, but to some degree, I was attributing that to them getting a lot donated--I thought maybe they were going to the same vendors each show so what they got was similar in style.

I'm not as familiar with Jeremiah's work on his own (I do remember him from Rachel Zoe's reality show) but I know Nate is capable of very diverse designs that fit different clients, so I'm hoping we start to see more different outcomes.  I was not a fan of this week but it did seem to be what the couple was asking for.

I would watch a show of just Nate, Jeremiah, and Pops.  They are the most adorable family on TV, certainly more appealing than any of the people whose homes they were decorating.  I'm also not nuts about their style.  That deep blue dining room on the most recent show was hideous.  

Did I mention how adorable Poppy is?  And how adorable it is that her name is "Poppy"?

I am old enough to realize how groundbreaking it is to have ANY kind of show with a gay couple openly affectionate with each other at all, never mind with the cutest child on television.  Love them.

• Love 7
On 5/16/2017 at 7:53 PM, WildPlum said:

So in the last episode they showed some glimpses of their new home, which they talked up as their "forever" home and how they would all grow old together in this home - and yet as soon as they finished the reno, it went on the market.

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-nate-berkus-hollywood-home-for-sale-20160914-snap-story.html

Hmm, so they didn't like their own finished reno? The neighborhood? Found something they liked better?

That's not the same home. It's a different flip than the forever home shown on air.

On 5/17/2017 at 11:36 AM, jcbrown said:

And if you come near my house with brass anything, we will have to have words. We have been working to de-80s our place for a few years now and finally managed to expunge all the brass last year.

Do not get me started in that disco era brass that has come back into vogue. I hate that design period.

On 5/11/2017 at 10:53 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I remember years ago on HGTV Sarah Richardson (my favorite TV designer) did a show where she was decorating a tract-home in the suburbs

I always watched her stuff. I liked it, although at times she had a strict Martha Stewart like devotion to matching details, etc that I thought seemed a bit much. And whenever she got too country kitschy (corbels!) I'd think, "oh no!" She did embrace primary colors in ways few designers did, which was fun. I remember once, she did something smart with a split level home that made it flow more like a home and less like an Escher print, which they tend to do.

• Love 2

No comments on last weekend's episode? I had mixed feelings. Sure, they had a bad time with their daughter's cancer diagnosis and the flood in their home but they were clearly not hurting for money. I wondered why they had waited so long to work on their house. And the wife's cheekbones were seriously scary. She looked like a puppet a la Punch and Judy. Apologies to her if those were natural; they certainly did not look it!

• Love 2
On 5/23/2017 at 5:46 PM, jcbrown said:

No comments on last weekend's episode? I had mixed feelings. Sure, they had a bad time with their daughter's cancer diagnosis and the flood in their home but they were clearly not hurting for money. I wondered why they had waited so long to work on their house. And the wife's cheekbones were seriously scary. She looked like a puppet a la Punch and Judy. Apologies to her if those were natural; they certainly did not look it!

She reminded me a bit of how Cher looks now, down to the bad plastic surgery and botox.

• Love 3
(edited)

The lady with the inherited house truly acts like an entitled diva.  It makes absolutely no sense why her fiance would be responsible for fixing a home that's in her name.  This ultimatum of fix my house or I'll leave you, pretty much shows what her end game is.  These two are truly clueless if you can't even figure out how to properly prep and paint a ceiling.  That said, their relationship is symbiotic, between her entitlement and his lack of self worth. 

As for the design, it was a miss for me.  All the rooms seemed very disconnected design wise.  The brown was so ugly, I don't know where to start.  It's the opposite of fresh and clean, even with the light furniture.  So you have green in one room, white/grey kitchen, and diarrhea poo living room.  If anything, the odd man out is the brown living room. They should have gone all white or at least used a colorful rug to offset all the brown.  The drapes look taupe and don't go with the brown walls.  Some of the green/teal should be added to the brown living room to help it flow better and provide better contrast. 

The rug they used was entirely too small for the space, which any novice designer would know.  The front legs of the furniture should at least fit on the rug. The great thing is that paint is easy to fix.  I seriously don't know where all the money went.  

Edited by pwdrpuff
  • Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, jumper sage said:

Who does that?  If I was him I would be wary.

Taking off their engagement ring over home renovation?  My answer would be a woman who contractually agreed to give a reality TV show carte blanche and was told to amp up the drama, using that ridiculous plot device!

• Love 3
(edited)

Didn't care for the couple in the water damage episode but liked most of the remodel - except for the table in the master bath. I guess it is supposed to look high-end, but it is just a space-waster. Make the bathroom smaller and the closet bigger if you have THAT much space.

I'll never be a posh person, I guess.

The issue with the flooring was odd - they originally showed the couple a hand-scraped matte almost grey-toned wood which they couple liked. Then the next thing they showed was an entire garagefull of boxes of a glossy chestnut wood. Completely different.

It sounded like the wait was partly over their daughter's medical issues taking precedence and partly over getting the insurance company to pony up the money.

Edited by WildPlum
  • Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:36 AM, car54 said:

I felt like the first few episodes--the ending result for the rooms looked very similar from house to house, but to some degree, I was attributing that to them getting a lot donated--I thought maybe they were going to the same vendors each show so what they got was similar in style.

I'm not as familiar with Jeremiah's work on his own (I do remember him from Rachel Zoe's reality show) but I know Nate is capable of very diverse designs that fit different clients, so I'm hoping we start to see more different outcomes.  I was not a fan of this week but it did seem to be what the couple was asking for.

Sorry but I've checked out too many reality TV plots over the years and also know, straight from the sources, how it's made so I can't take the "donation" routine seriously.  I believe it's all sponsored. 

I love design and usually like Nate's work, going back to his first appearances from Chicago - except for when he's too "Pottery Barn".  Given that, I can't help but watch, even though the faux drama is through the roof on this one!

WRT the donations:  I noticed the staging in an episode appeared cheap but not in a particularly good way.  It was "Modern Southern Charm", the Brown family.  (N&J shopped with her, selecting the large chaise.)  Nate reps Target so anytime Nate works or makes an appearance, they benefit, at least indirectly.  I'm sure Tarjait sent over a tchotchke or three for at least some or all of the episodes.

Incidentally, anyone who's interested in Jeremiah might enjoy seeing him as host of "Homemade Simple" on OWN, Sat mornings.  (Think cheaper, hokey Design on a Dime, lol.  Didn't think it was possible to go cheaper than that, right?)  They rotate designers but occasionally he both hosts and designs.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, aguabella said:

I love design and usually like Nate's work, going back to his first appearances from Chicago - except for when he's too "Pottery Barn".

Me, too. One of the reasons this show makes me happy is because I am happy to see Nate happy after he went through losing his partner in the Thailand tsunami in 2004 (wow--I guess I've been following his work for a while).

• Love 4
16 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Me, too. One of the reasons this show makes me happy is because I am happy to see Nate happy after he went through losing his partner in the Thailand tsunami in 2004 (wow--I guess I've been following his work for a while).

Wow that's horrible. Poor guy. How tragic!

So disturbed by this Jeremiah development. It's so obvious he is taking huge advantage of Nate and insults him at every opportunity. And now that they're married, Nate's up for an unpleasant $ surprise when boy toy moves on. Sorry Nate got roped into this relationship. J is terribly arrogant and bossy and complaining about his "daughter" doesn't help much. Nate is a sweetheart and deserves better.

19 hours ago, orangeiguana said:

So disturbed by this Jeremiah development. It's so obvious he is taking huge advantage of Nate and insults him at every opportunity. And now that they're married, Nate's up for an unpleasant $ surprise when boy toy moves on. Sorry Nate got roped into this relationship. J is terribly arrogant and bossy and complaining about his "daughter" doesn't help much. Nate is a sweetheart and deserves better.

What is the "Jeremiah development"?  How did Nate "get roped" into their relationship?  What are Jeremiah's complaints about their daughter?  I honestly don't know.  I've watched most of the shows and they both come across as very affectionate and loving to me, so I'm surprised to read this.

I have loved Nate dearly since the Oprah days, so I really hope there isn't some behind-the-scenes crisis brewing.  He has always seemed to have a big heart and I'd hate to see him go through another huge heartbreak.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I read that she was born via surrogate so likely biologically one of theirs.

I just saw a preview for Saturday's show in which they said they were going to "try for #2), so I am inclined to think they had a surrogate for Poppy. If there's "Jeremiah trouble" regarding Poppy, maybe they've tested and J is the bio dad? 

I don't want them to split up; I think they're cute together, and I've also been a fan of Nate since the Oprah days. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I just saw a preview for Saturday's show in which they said they were going to "try for #2), so I am inclined to think they had a surrogate for Poppy. If there's "Jeremiah trouble" regarding Poppy, maybe they've tested and J is the bio dad? 

I don't want them to split up; I think they're cute together, and I've also been a fan of Nate since the Oprah days. 

Why would that be a problem for The relationship? Obviously only one of them can be the bio father. (I'm assuming they used a surrogate because of the commercial mentioning trying for #2). I would think they knew at the time of conception whose sample was used but even if they didn't, who cares? Is there anything to indicate either of them care about not being to bio dad? 

• Love 3

Why would that be a problem for The relationship?

I'm not sure that there is a problem in the relationship.  Certainly don't see it in anything on screen.  I've not see it mentioned at all in press.  Whya do we think there is a problem?

• Love 4